PDA

View Full Version : The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16

Plum
14th January 2012, 06:07 AM
Ha ha I know what it is app - QSQT and indhi songs kEttu tamizh dhrogi Ana kadhai :lol:. Something that led you down the path of treasuring Kumar Sanu songs eventually...luckily, en agaraadhila mannippungara vaarthai irukku unlike Vijayakanth's dictionary :)

baroque
14th January 2012, 09:49 AM
vA veLiyE by SPB/KSC (kEttadhE illai).:roll:

wonderful Subha Panthuvarali aalap, :musicsmile:it was popular during late 80s, my sandhu / school/college tea shop fellows have played.
treat yourself.

drama of percussion changes, it is a fantastic song.

app_engine
14th January 2012, 10:03 AM
Ha ha I know what it is app - QSQT and indhi songs kEttu tamizh dhrogi Ana kadhai :lol:. Something that led you down the path of treasuring Kumar Sanu songs eventually...luckily, en agaraadhila mannippungara vaarthai irukku unlike Vijayakanth's dictionary :)

illeeng sArE :-)

The QSQT etc happened in 90's...we're still in 80's, so this is a different one :-)

app_engine
14th January 2012, 10:03 AM
vA veLiyE by SPB/KSC (kEttadhE illai).:roll:

wonderful Subha Panthuvarali aalap, :musicsmile:it was popular during late 80s, my sandhu / school/college tea shop fellows have played.
treat yourself.

drama of percussion changes, it is a fantastic song.

Yes, I enjoyed the song listening from web but never heard it before :-)

venkkiram
14th January 2012, 10:04 AM
மலையோரம் வீசும் காற்று...ரம்மியமான பாடல் அமைப்பில் ஒரு சோக கீதம்.

இதே தாளக்கட்டில், ராகத்தில் ஒரு காதல் டூயட் இருந்திருந்தால் கூட அதுவும் இதுபோலவே சிறப்பாக அமைந்திருக்கும்.

baroque
14th January 2012, 10:32 AM
:)

QSQT, MPK etc...
Nation under Khans attack in just a year...1988, 89.

girls ellam khans fever,
boys ellam steffi graf fever:-D

later sharukh with Baazigar joined with high energy by mid 90s
vinatha

app_engine
14th January 2012, 10:37 AM

QSQT, MPK etc...
Nation under Khans attack in just a year...1988, 89
later sharukh with Baazigar joined by mid 90s
vinatha

could have been, but I got "involved" with those only in 1990 :-)

baroque
14th January 2012, 10:57 AM
oh... you were graf crushie :-D then

RR
14th January 2012, 11:13 AM
QSQT and indhi songs kEttu tamizh dhrogi Ana kadhai :lol:. Something that led you down the path of treasuring Kumar Sanu songs eventually...
+1 . That was surely those days trend for young lads in madras/cities. Some crazies even sat thru back-to-back QSQT sessions in safire. Still remember relishing anand-milind melodies + udit + alka

PARAMASHIVAN
16th January 2012, 03:46 PM
Folks

I watched "Kizhaku vasal" recently! What a film, Great stuff by Karthik, excellent songs by IR + SPB combo!
You can't beat "Pacha mala poovu" .

When was the film released? Kushboo looked really beautiful in this film :lol2:

al_gates
16th January 2012, 11:40 PM
Folks
When was the film released? Kushboo looked really beautiful in this film :lol2:

param, that was in 1990 as this link shows:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=kizhakku+vaasal+release

genesis
17th January 2012, 02:15 AM
could have been, but I got "involved" with those only in 1990 :-)

Thanks for Doordarshan National Service and Wednesday/Friday Chitrahaar, Sunday morning Rangoli I was exposed to new and old Hindi songs. I think my first recorded hindi album was "Tezaab". Then QSQT, MPK, Saajan, Ashiqui, Dil Hai Ke Manta Nahin.... I almost forgot TFM for few years. The only TFM songs that recorded during this period were primarily MR movies. (As you can see, I did not miss SPB much, with MPK, Saajan, Patthar Ke Phool etc)

baroque
17th January 2012, 02:38 AM
yeah...dhoordharshan, chithrahar, radio programs etc..

Even during glorious 80s IR time and before, Kabhie kabhie, Sholay , Aandhi, Aaradhana , Abhiman etc.. are popular.

Once I went to college, out of state students only added more old hindi works to my attention after I told them about my favorites of Lata, Rafi etc.. songs.

then, moving around Seattle, Bangalore, Chennai, California over three decades only added IFM addiction.

So what, SPB's works in hindi offering are there..:roll:

We always want SPB's vocals in IR songs.

When Bala-IR numbers reduce, we are unhappy, that too SPB flying high in his formidable years.

Unacceptable.

No time, I moved away from Tamil cinema music. Whenever I call home - tanjore / trichy/B'lore/Chennai, I always asked my amma,

"என்ன வந்து இருக்கு?
எங்கம்மாவா... இளையராஜா தானம்மா போட்டுண்டு இருக்காரு... எப்பவுமே இளையராஜா இசை தான் நம்ப ஊருலே.., even by 1996 , ரஹ்மான் வந்த பிறகு கூட ,அப்படித்தான் சொல்லுவாங்க" :)

listening to MSViswanadhan-TMS is not my favorite, adhu onnu dhaan :(
I think this TMS factor is discouraging for me.

When I regularly took time to visit MSVTIMES at least for 10 mins or a single post or read konjam kojam SL's articles or Ram's articles, I was enthu sincerely, for Padma award petition, I signed.

I surprised myself with Yesudas, Bala, Susheela hits without knowing the film detailshttp://www.mayyam.com/talk/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif when I was going to MSVTIMES.

End of the day, Lata hits with various hindi composers, Rafi- Lata combo, Geeta Dutt, asha collections, Composers like Khaiyyam, Madhan mohan etc... along with Ilayaraja invite me, I crave for the music time, hang around with them with different themes, moods.

I think MSV-TMS not giving me that soothing, sublime mood.. not listen to MSV-TMS songs at all :???:

P.B.Sreenivos collections 3 cds only I have, I cherish them. Often listen.

I listen konjum puravey.... MLV hits also often.

all in all, from C.Ramachandra to Vishal Barathwaj, Konjum puraavey- MLV hits to up coming Gibran's vsv songs, I am doing good. Content.:)

vinatha

app_engine
17th January 2012, 04:14 AM
I couldn't post on Sat / Sun / Mon...will try tonight to post at least one (doubtful, holiday means busier schedule)...if not, 4 songs will be due tomorrow :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
17th January 2012, 02:57 PM
param, that was in 1990 as this link shows:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=kizhakku+vaasal+release
Thanks al_gates :)

Another gem from the movie was "Paadi parantha kili" :notworthy:

tvsankar
17th January 2012, 03:05 PM
app,
padikaren. All are Sweet home works...........

app_engine
18th January 2012, 12:17 AM
#259 ஓல ஓலைக்குடிசையிலே கொஞ்சிக்கொஞ்சி விளையாடுங்க
(ஆனந்த, 1987 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0195'&lang=en)

Nice sweet themmAngu from this Prabhu movie that had a lot of air-time on buses per my memory. One quickly gets reminded of Prabhu and that's a big success for SPB, nicely sung!

One of my close colleagues (and a year senior) at the workplace was from Kovai and he frequently used the word 'paradEsi' at anyone / anything that got him upset :lol2: The second interlude of this song -where some conversation etc happens -, this term comes ("paradEsippasangaLA") and instantly reminds me of this nice man who was also my roomie for sometime later on. Far removed from film music (he was the one who exclaimed 'Oh you identified that sound instantly - that it is from violins - neenga periya ALunga') but heavy watcher / commenter of movies & was many a time company for the second show. Size-wise too he reminds one of Prabhu :wink:

Unfortunately, I never recorded any of the SPB songs from this movie on my cassettes those days; but somehow that 'ArArO, ArArO, nee vERO, nAn vERO' got into one of them. Not because it was a fav but simbly for snob value. This was the year when both northie sisters came to sing for rAsA. I loved sheNbagamE very much though. LM had to wait till the Sathya song to get my repeat listens. From the snob POV, however, both these songs helped me a lot with peers those days ('enga composer kooppittA - with viral sodukkal - chummA vadakka irukka top-top pAdakikaL ellAm Odi varuvAnga theriyumA, avvaLavu mariyAdhai' :lol:).

Like many movies of that year, don't know how the movie fared, what was the story etc. From the net, I could see that it had both Radha & Sasikala.

jaiganes
18th January 2012, 01:01 AM
#259 ஓல ஓலைக்குடிசையிலே கொஞ்சிக்கொஞ்சி விளையாடுங்க
(ஆனந்த, 1987 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0195'&lang=en)

Nice sweet themmAngu from this Prabhu movie that had a lot of air-time on buses per my memory. One quickly gets reminded of Prabhu and that's a big success for SPB, nicely sung!

One of my close colleagues (and a year senior) at the workplace was from Kovai and he frequently used the word 'paradEsi' at anyone / anything that got him upset :lol2: The second interlude of this song -where some conversation etc happens -, this term comes ("paradEsippasangaLA") and instantly reminds me of this nice man who was also my roomie for sometime later on. Far removed from film music (he was the one who exclaimed 'Oh you identified that sound instantly - that it is from violins - neenga periya ALunga') but heavy watcher / commenter of movies & was many a time company for the second show. Size-wise too he reminds one of Prabhu :wink:

Unfortunately, I never recorded any of the SPB songs from this movie on my cassettes those days; but somehow that 'ArArO, ArArO, nee vERO, nAn vERO' got into one of them. Not because it was a fav but simbly for snob value. This was the year when both northie sisters came to sing for rAsA. I loved sheNbagamE very much though. LM had to wait till the Sathya song to get my repeat listens. From the snob POV, however, both these songs helped me a lot with peers those days ('enga composer kooppittA - with viral sodukkal - chummA vadakka irukka top-top pAdakikaL ellAm Odi varuvAnga theriyumA, avvaLavu mariyAdhai' :lol:).

Like many movies of that year, don't know how the movie fared, what was the story etc. From the net, I could see that it had both Radha & Sasikala.
Oh that terrible farce this movie was...
The only thing that must have gotten Raaja to do this movie would have been the fact that this was another adaptation of Devadas . It was also done in Telugu by Annapoorna studios with Nagarjun (but i am not sure about the Music Dir of that movie). Here devadas and paru were not childhood sweethearts .
The movie had sivachandran playing the role of villain - he does a Lago(from othello or for ppl who saw VB's Omkaara - LAngda tyaagi) here and breaks the love of devdas and paro by planting suspicion thereby keeping both characters as saintly as possible. The movie runs a tumultous course (for the audience) with Prabhu contributing early proto sketches to Nic Cage's Leaving Las Vegas and in the course he sings this song for a "kuppaththu" kaadhal couple (incidentally he is a pop singer catering to the elite Michael jaaksun casette holders!!)
The biggest casting gaffe of the universe was having the ever "not to be taken seriously" cho ramasaamy as Sad father of devadas paired with "ever ready to cry" soccer janaki (sorry typos sowcar) .
The movie ends with estranged lovers lying on the road dead like "road kill" - looks like the director got us viewers like that in our neghbourhood roads - had only he known that another 5 minutes sequence of amara lovers united in heaven - thankfully producer and distributors prevailed with the movie ending .
I could have spared all this and said - "Anand The Massacre of the innocent". But wouldnt have been half as funny or wouldnt have provided me of much needed catharsis.

app_engine
18th January 2012, 02:13 AM
jai,
:rotfl2:

romba bAthikkaptturukkeenga :-)

app_engine
18th January 2012, 03:17 AM
#260 தொடாத தாளம் போட வேண்டும்
(ஆனந்த, 1987 , ஜானகியுடன் ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0197'&lang=en)

Another "heard-only-in-buses-in-and-around-CBE" song :-) With excellent wind instruments + drums + guitar work, this song is quite catchy and enjoyable! The top singer pair sings without much ado and the song was in the "then-latest" rAsA format (following some of the style / patterns that he developed during the prior year for the MR / PM kind of movies where the rain songs had similar arrangements). We can match each set of "sounds of rAsA" to its own time period and that's how we get nostalgic feelings also. These sounds are purely late-80's, peppy, "almost programmed" kind of drum work, majestic trumpetting etc.

Now question to music-genre experts - under what genre can this song be classified? The melody almost sounds like 60's (MSV-TKR-ish when they had some jazzy songs, theirs were a little slow IMO where jazz drums was deployed...whenever they wanted to speed up the tempo, bangos were invariably used - paruvam enadhu pAdal, pattaththu rANi are quick examples that come to mind) and it's easy to picture MGR-Sivaji in this song with 60's setting. OTOH, the drum-work can be taken as disco. Then there's some harmony using chorus, naduvula oru strong guitar sound. Nice challenge to identify the genre :-)

Now that jaiganes revealed the fact about the hero of the movie - pop singer - the lines of the pallavi is a little bit more interesting :wink: pudhu anubhavam for the fellow whose earlier toys were drums and rAgams and not flesh and blood stuff. Since the movie has already been trashed, one cannot expect the director to have some dialog around such things, get into some poetic setup etc. Still, it would be interesting to read about the 'sichchuvEshan' as how this duet gets placed in the movie...One website says director was billA Krishnamoorthy (who did a few with producer Balaji)...so was this movie a Balaji / Sujatha films production?

app_engine
18th January 2012, 04:39 AM
#261 ஐ வான்ட் டு டெல் யு சம்திங் (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0194'&lang=en)
மற்றும்
ஹே யு யு கம் டு மீ
(ஆனந்த, 1987 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0193'&lang=en)

Recently, skr sir had been trying to collect rAsA's English songs and this Anand movie is notorious for contributing 2 among his list, though not entirely English songs :-) Both are part of this post and I've heard them on buses, both as songs themselves and as fillers (cassette ends). Nicely paced, dance worthy and some interesting arrangements (guitar / wind konjam thookkal & drums as per prevailing standards of the time). In any case, I don't remember having any emotional connections with these songs but I'm fairly sure they were heard around TN and can be classified as "bus-hits".

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, let me use these songs to talk about a huge shift in my music listening sensitivities around this time period. I am very sure most IRF's who are today in 40's-50's had undergone similar shifts during their lifetime (some prompted by IR getting into other lang fields, others prompted by his interviews / statements etc). Most hubbers here can relate to predominantly listening to alternate forms of music at one point of lifetime or others. Well, to me that started during late-87 and went on to full-blown state in the next few years:-) It wasn't like the leanings towards MJ or MFM but on a much more strong bonding level. Ofcourse not HFM (already informed in a reply to Plum).

While frequenting the cassette / recording shops in Palakkad (actually there weren't too many, 3 or 4 cassette shops & only one recording place I'd been to), on one evening I spotted this casstte with a beautifully illustrated inlay card. It had the name "Paul Mauriat"! What! I couldn't believe my eyes and kaNNaikkasakki vittu, maRupadi pArththu made sure. The album had the name 'nagekidori'. (From the time I read about him in Kumudam sangeethakkanavukaL, his appreciation for EdhO mOgam etc, the name was strongly wired in my mind and I didn't have even think a second to recognize the name). Within a minute, the cassette was mine and I was feverishly walking to the room to stuff it into the walkman.

'nagekidori' was PM's own composition and had mesmerizing flute work that did something to the nAdi-narambu. Then there was the instrumental version of Whitney Houston's "Didn't we almost have it all" that I immediately recognized and was spellbound by the tremendous arrangements. The best piece, however, was "back to the pyramids" (I'll try to get youtube links once I reach home). It pushed the spirit to some levels that I've never experienced prior! (Ofcourse, I may not feel the same way today - but at that age, circumstances and position, it was...unlike anything I've experienced before...do I sound like some sAmiyArs / preachers? :lol: Music has power I say!)

Thus started my hunt of any cassette with his name on it! 'Love is blue' 'Classics in the air 2/3' are among the best but there were just too many and every visit to Bangalore had me hunting around the music shops for some collection of him or other and I was also feverishly sharing them with many associates, relatives (sometimes gifting - last year I met a cousin after years and she had Love is Blue on the smart phone (not by PM, some other version) and recalled how I introduced to her that track years before). I was overjoyed when identifying the Mozart symphony that was used by National Panasonic as demo to be PM's version!

It wasn't a fad but lasted for years, changing my music listening taste forever! Even now, I can't stop with just one listen of 'love is blue'!

V_S
18th January 2012, 08:49 PM
Too good post App :clap: The way you kindle everyone's memories and invite everyone to post is one of the most unique quality of your posts. :thumbsup:
Yes, till 1986, as far as western music is concerned, I had only listened to MJ, Boney M, ABBA, Wham! and Tina Turner (apart from the ones our Maestro introduced). I was thinking MJ was the only superstar of western pop/rock music (ofcourse still he is), but I was blind and could not ready to accept any other songs as that great. My friends at my college introduced me to whole new world, especially in 1987 from there I did not look back. When I was sure MJ would win Grammy for his Bad in 1987, there came a big surprise from U2 in the form of Joshua Tree. When we were watching the Grammy could not believe U2 grabbed that. To be honest, didn't like them at all at that time, but that was one cracker of an album. which goes with me everytime. Sameway, I got introduced to so many artists, right fom Megadeath, Europe, Dan Seals to Houston to Tracy Chapman and the list goes on. But once I get back to our Maestro, it will again take months to go back to them. :smile: Thanks for your wonderful post about Paul Mauriat which made me write this.

I don't remember these numbers now, will have to listen to it in the evening.

PS: Sorry to say this, Another bad thing is the amount of exposure I got into the contemporary western music (all kinds). It is so huge that if any indian song does the same/similar tune, singing or arrangement, immediately it is disqualified for next listen from me, as I find nothing new and I have a feeling that I have heard these kind of songs many times before. Just singing in indian lyrics won't help for me, if it was a pure pop/rock song. That's a bad habit, but I cannot help it.

app_engine
18th January 2012, 09:50 PM
PS: Sorry to say this, Another bad thing is the amount of exposure I got into the contemporary western music (all kinds). It is so huge that if any indian song does the same/similar tune, singing or arrangement, immediately it is disqualified for next listen from me, as I find nothing new and I have a feeling that I have heard these kind of songs many times before. Just singing in indian lyrics won't help for me, if it was a pure pop/rock song. That's a bad habit, but I cannot help it.

Why sorry? I think that's a GOOD habit :-)

Who wants to listen to such rehashes?

Some Indian music has "better sounds" than original compositions or that such are "cool" to listen or listening to such is a requirement to be accepted by peers etc are not valid reasons to culvitate a liking for rehashes :-)

skr
18th January 2012, 10:53 PM
Lovely write up App
Nice knowing your experiences.
I feel Raaja's music also slowly underwent a change during this period (for the good only) with albums like Anand and Poovizhi Vaasalile (which came a year later) which had a jazzy flavour to it.The song 'I want to tell You something' is an absolute stunner. SPB at his effortless best , the chorus is so goosebumpy.
The song overall is so breezy and feels like u r taking an early morning walk humming along in a spectacular hillstation under the backdrop of a picturesque landscape ..
Check out SPB's humming chromatics in the 2nd interlude (also notice the bass guitar playing along-Wah re Wah) from 02:52 to 03:06, which is laced throughout with chromatic passages.Instantly transports you to dreamland.

app_engine
19th January 2012, 12:02 AM
nanRi V_Sji & skr!

I need to post two more songs today to catch-up and will possibly end the year 1987 with them :shock:

Not that many SPB-IR hits in that year.

Murali Srinivas
19th January 2012, 12:17 AM
app,

Anand was produced by Sivaji Productions and it was directed by C.V.Rajendran and not by Billa Krishnamurthy. As Jai had pointed out it was a remake of a film called Majnu, a Nagarjuna starrer. This was the second film done by Sivaji Productions with Prabhu being the sole hero [meaning NT was not there], the first one being Aruvadai Naal that came in 1986. This was November 1987 release. Jai had already massacred it and there is no use in me trying to give a life to it. So only some tidbits

app, you must be aware that Thalavattam was remade as Manasukkul Mathaappu with Prabhu in the lead and I assume that you had seen Thalavattam. But even before Manasukkul Mathappu came out, some scenes like, where Lal tries to impress Lizzy [like putting flower decorated I Love you on the road etc] and many such small things were reproduced in Anand, when Prabhu tries to woo Radha [maybe Telugu had taken it from Thalavattam]. Though one cannot by any standard rate this as Prabhu's good attempts [compared to the variety of roles he was doing at that point of time like Aruvadai Naal, Palaivana Rojakkal, Chinna Thambi Periya thambi, Megam Karuthirukku, Chinna Poove Mella Pesu, Kavalan avan Kovalan and Poo Poovaai Poothirukku, to quote a few], it was not bad either.

All that you quoted were good songs but the most popular was aararo aararo by Lata.

Regards

app_engine
19th January 2012, 03:26 AM
Thank you Murali sir, for the clarification on the production house & director for Anand!

Ofcourse, thALa vattam was a big fav movie those days (pon veeNai ennuLLil a big fav song and my collegemate / colleague was a big Karthika fan).

Also, I had 'dEvanin kOvil moodiya nEram' on a Sony cassette and possibly listened 100's of times during those years on headphones...

al_gates
19th January 2012, 03:34 AM
App,
just curious. Did you buy a boatload of AA batteries those days to run your walkman? This used to be a sore point with me as pair of batteries can run for a listening time of only 48 hours and I have to wait for some days before asking parents for money to buy new batteries.

app_engine
19th January 2012, 04:11 AM
al_gates,
I had a few advantages :

1. I was employed and was spending 50% of my salary, called "stipend" and no cuts / taxes etc, all by myself :-)
(In 1987, 50% of Rs 2350 was a lot - for e.g. the room rent was Rs 175 and one could have all three meals at good restaurants for < Rs 15 a day)

2. Used an adopter when at room :wink:

3. With 6 day work week, practically 8 to 8 at workplace plus travel plus sleep plus restaurants etc left very limited time for music listening

app_engine
19th January 2012, 04:33 AM
#262 ஏத்தி வச்ச நெருப்பினிலே
(ஆளப்பிறந்தவன், 1987 , சித்ராவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0017'&lang=en)

Very sweet song with signature rAsA arrangements (strings, shenoy, tabla, flute) and a nice folkish melody. SPB & KSC sing so sweet that this song is instantly catchy! I hate to repeat this but I'm instantly reminded of bus travels again. I don't remember listening to this song otherwise. Thanks to thiraippadal, I can hear this again and based on the memory recall, happy to list it here as a "bus hit". Net search says this movie had Sathyaraj / Ambika and A S Prakasam was the director. (We talked about him for Sivaji's "sAdhanai" and not surprising that he could get yet another sweet melody from rAsA as their association goes back to echchil iravukaL days).

As in the case of most 1987 movies that had SPB, don't know the fate of the film. (OTOH, I know very clearly what happened to a few non-SPB movies that had IR, Gangai Amaran / Ramarajan combo's enga ooru pAttukkAran was a hit , KH-MR's nAyakan was a hit :lol2:). Well, if there are any thiruvALarkaL / thirumathikaL who had opportunities to undergo the viewing pleasure of this movie, please post your experience. (I don't expect any selvan / selvi's to have any familiarity with this kind of movies :lol:)

app_engine
19th January 2012, 04:42 AM
#263 ஒரு காதல் என்பது என் நெஞ்சில் உள்ளது
(சின்னத்தம்பி பெரிய தம்பி, 1987 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGGMN0025'&lang=en)

Possibly the last song for this year in our collection (if there are any other major hits, please post ASAP). When this movie arrived and was running well, my colleague wanted me to go with him and I couldn't make it. When I heard this song the first time, I liked it but have never recorded or had the cassette because it was not credited to IR. Well, there had been often posts in the hub (including by me) of "correcting" people who assumed this to be an IR song. That the MD is Gangai Amaran.

Then came the youtube where Gangai Amaran explained that this song was done by IR and he "borrowed" it (possibly Manivannan, the director did the purchase / borrowing). This song was reasonably popular - on buses / radio and even in the web. Very recently, during a trip I loaded a few hundred rAsA MP3s in a hurry using some disk that came from a relative in Bangalore and this was among them. That was the first time when I listened to this song in my own music system - it had terrific recording quality - and got amazed. How can anyone associate such orch with non-IR composers? Never!

V_S
19th January 2012, 05:27 AM
App,
How about these:
Eduthu Vechcha Paalum from Ninaive Oru Sangeetham, very famous Captain's song.
Theerthakkarai Orathile from Theerthakkaraiyinile, Mike MOhan's hit song.
Vaa VeLiye from Paadu Nilaave, Mohan-Nadhiya hit song.
Jai's discovery, DeepangaLe OLi ThoovungaLe from Dhoorathu Pachchai- Psychedelic rock at it's best, but I don't think it was hit, it is a rare gem.

As far as I know, first three are hits.

groucho070
19th January 2012, 06:56 AM
App,
just curious. Did you buy a boatload of AA batteries those days to run your walkman? This used to be a sore point with me as pair of batteries can run for a listening time of only 48 hours and I have to wait for some days before asking parents for money to buy new batteries.Wish you knew me then. We prolong the life of these batteries by rubbing both points against the floor (cement floor the best). Yes! I still do it with our remote control batteries when too lazy to go out and buy em.

groucho070
19th January 2012, 07:01 AM
#263 ஒரு காதல் என்பது என் நெஞ்சில் உள்ளது
(சின்னத்தம்பி பெரிய தம்பி, 1987 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGGMN0025'&lang=en)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EpQSdoE6n8

groucho070
19th January 2012, 07:03 AM
And app, years going by fast, and am feeling sad. Hope even after the most recent SPB/IR, we can still go back and catch up on stuff you missed out. Great going as usual, boss, you are awesome.

V_S
19th January 2012, 10:51 AM
IlanchOlai Poothatha - Unakkaagave Vaazhgiren

A brisk semi-classical dance number. Beautiful locations apt for the song at the temple background and also lush green landscapes ideal for dancing. Tailor made song for Sivakumar and "touch-me-not" Nadhiya. I was totally surprised in another song, 'Kannaa Unnai ThEdugiren' where she was looking and longing to meet her lover after a long time after some 'oodal'. When he comes before her, what do you expect her to do?. I was astonished to see him with grim face (he and director cannot do anything as strictly instructed by Nadhiya) and she is giving all expressions, but she is not going anyway near to him at all, forget about 'touch-me'. Too plastic scene that was. Luckily this one escaped all that being a dance number, so she is free from those restrictions as she is dancing her way, still keeping her distance from Sivakumar, whenever he approaches her (I am dancing you know), with a plastic smile intact. One big plus being Nadhiya sporting a big 'bindhi' which we cannot see in any heroines of today's films. Every time a plus has to be compensated by a big minus. That is, a truck load of flowers on her head, takes away the beauty of the dance costume. Sivakumar almost dances when he walks as he makes all hand and leg gestures with wonderful facial expressions which resemble dancing and not to forget everything is strictly to lyrics. Sorry, was just sharing some lighter moments. :wink: Definitely we all know, Sivakumar a thorough and sincere actor, friendly to every director. Visually no complaints, wonderfully done, except some dance shots were at a very wide angle, not sure what director/cinematographer wants to convey.

This inimitable and aboorva composition was composed in Dharmavathi raagam (a melakartha raagam) set to Aadi thaalam. Other notable compositions from Maestro in this raagam are Konji Konji (Veera), Meedum Meendum Vaa (Vikram) and the 1st charanam of Pularkindra Pozhuthu (ULiyin Osai). Are there any other?

Just by hearing, I can definitely tell SPB is singing for Sivakumar. SPB does not change his voice only for Kamal or Rajini, but for Sivakumar, Mohan, Ramarajan and many others. Only singer who can do it. If we credit Maestro for this numero uno composition, SPB deserves equal credit for taking it further and adds more beauty and nuances with this excellent singing. It's a beauty how SPB sings every note with some outstanding gamakams, to enrich the sweetness. Without him the song would not have reached this height. If any aspiring singer or even the current set of singers want to enhance their skills this is one of the song they need to practice to achieve mastery, especially on the emotions side.

SPB glitters in initial aalaapanai. When he starts singing, thampura gives the sruthi and flute replicates the aalaapanai. Flute took me to the starting flute in Azhaikkiran Madhavan (not sure why, as that was subhapantuvarali). Next part of aalapanai is replicated by veena. That's where Nadhiya intends to dance first in her mind where we hear the ankle bells. The best part of aalapanai is when flute and veena mimic the aalaapanai alternatively, but the last aalaapanai is mimic'ed by both instruments together. One of the best aalapanai one could hear in film music.

Veena speaks his mind and flute speaks her mind. As soon as he starts singing, we can hear the same tune repeated in flute just as her mind is echoing his singing. Every time it does and at last both veena and flute play together in 'sangamam' as both their minds are tuned together to perform the classical art. But the actual situation is, Nadhiya is in her dream dancing to Sivakumar's singing. I also tend to think in another reverse way. Hero is playing veena, where veena is akin to her mind (rather than his), while the heroine tries to speak/understand his mind through the flute, as they both care for each other and then the sangamam happens. Little more interesting?

Maestro does not start composing the song for a classical dance straightaway (even though I assume director would have said it is a dance song). The prelude time is required to get into the dance mode as she is not yet ready for that. This is like indirectly asking the director to do the initial homework before the dance. :wink: Imagine the song without that aalaapanai. Gone with the wind!

If you closely observe during the prelude and pallavi, she is intermittently seen as dancing few steps and she is back into that room listening to the song. She goes back to the dream and comes back. Again during the prelude she does not even get a good picture where she is dancing, director aptly shows only her feet. This continues till the pallavi is over and into the charanam. Will explain the beauty of interlude little later.

The tabla roll when SPB starts singing the pallavi is very rare phenomenon which we don't get to hear often. When he repeats the pallavi again, the tabla roll is different. For the third time when he repeats the pallavi, what and how do you think Maestro would have played the rhythm. He has completely gone mad and introduces mridangam, totally unexpected. Unbelievable touch from Maestro! Cracking shot that is! :notworthy: Before we recognize the switch over, it is there. Another best part of this pallavi is he also introduces the bass guitar that too at unconventional places. Definitely I was expecting a bass guitar as it is his style of composing (even that is not a standard for this type of composition), he plucks the chords at 'chOlai' rather than at 'iLanchOlai'. Sameway at thathaa instead of at poothathaa, at jaalam instead of at ennajaalam, at kOlam instead of at vanna kOlam and so on. This can be seen as giving stress to those words rather than it's adjectives.

We can even find similar style in Western classical/Jazz where sometimes we need to have alternate chord placement to stress the melody note, against what we think where the melody is. Definitely there could be more reasons for the chord placements. But what a thought process in those few seconds. Who would care where he places the chords, or who would care if the chord is there or not? Why would he then do it? That's the completeness we are talking about in every Maestro's composition. That's the sincerity we are talking about. In those flurry of movies at around 50 movies per year, he never compromises and never becomes lazy to put those chords that too at appropriate places, even he knows many will not take notice, definitely in this semi-classical number.

We have already seen the tremendous amount of innovation in the first minute right in the rhythm, instruments and in the chord placements. On top of all this, a honey-soaked aalaapanai, pallavi-anupallavi emerging as Godess Dharmavathi.
இளஞ்சோலை பூத்ததா என்ன ஜாலம் வண்ண கோலம்
ஒரு பூந்தென்றல் தாலாட்ட சில மேகங்கள் நீரூற்ற
இளஞ்சோலை பூத்ததா….

Wonderful lyrics!

Generally when we think of something, sometimes it does not come to our mind immediately, it will be at the tip of our mind, but does not come out. That's where Maestro starts the first interlude with few heavy violin strokes, symbolizing the flow of our mind and then suddenly it rings a bell in her (please observe director shows temple bell). Yes she got it now where she is dancing. I cannot stop appreciating the director having exactly conceived what Maestro would have thought while composing. Just after the ring of the bell, we first time see the temple backdrop. Beautiful! She gets a full picture now. She is seeing herself now dancing and could not stop dreaming. The initial flow of violins and flute show that. After that there is little drop in the flow. Why? After she is seeing herself, she wants to have a good closer look of her at various postures and admire herself. That's where we hear some xylophone sort of sound from the keyboard and flute between every stroke of mridangam. She dreams her various dance postures. Definitely during these later portions of the interlude, a dance cannot be performed, so director cleverly used that footage to show various postures. Excellent synchronization between the music and the visuals, one of the best, if not the best. Again the director superbly swaps the shots by showing real Nadhiya(in her dream) and Nadhiya dancing. So here we are, till the end of this interlude, she is not fully in her dreams, nor she is fully at present. This is where Maestro's impromptu works. He brings veena here to stop dreaming only of her, reminding her to dream about her lover too, remember we already associated veena with her lover.

Have to tell about that temple bell sound which we just heard. During our earlier days of listening, sounds like this temple bell will occur only once in the entire song. Even after watching the films also we could not much understand why Maestro is teasing us by giving such sounds only once and why does he not continue those beautiful sounds atleast for sometime. Here it would sounded rhythmic too if continued. Now having come through years of listening, now we can understand the reason. The reason is we just saw above. Strictly for the situation and even if it is needed for beauty or ornamentation of the song, strictly No from Maestro!. Director has again perfectly nailed that sound in visuals. Again, whenever I start writing about his compositions, especially the interludes, he gives me appropriate and convincing argument of every instrument used every time, never thought he did not answer me or let me down. If a novice like me gets so much from his compositions, I could not imagine, what's in Maestro's store for serious listeners and experts like.

The charanam gets sweeter and sweeter. We continue were we left off. From the charanam she does not come back to her present till the song is over. She is completely dissolved in it. So we can even see new locations where she is dancing and now she is even thinking of her lover. My favorite lines: "ஒருமௌனம் தீர்ந்தது, சுதியோடு சேர்ந்தது" What a line! Please listen how SPB pronounces 'சுதியோடு' exactly as written, as there is no "shru" in Thamizh. :thumbsup: Charnam is SPB all the way. Excellent gamakams at the end of every line. The gamakams during these lines, SOlai engum sugantham, meendum ingE vasantham is just superb. Also please listen to the instrument following 'meendum ingE vasantham'. You can smell vasantham here in Maestro's music. Again only once! Take a deep breathe to get the vasantham. :smile: Maestro beautifully composed keeping the first two lines at higher octaves, then the next two lines in middle/lower octaves, going up again for the next two lines and stays here except a small dip at 'maayam alla mandhiram alla' for mridangam to take over to pallavi. Beautiful variations, one of the best by Maestro, making it one of the sweetest ever song from Maestro. :notworthy:

Second interlude is brisker than the first one. So much happening there. Normally while dreaming there will not be much correlation between the events that's what this interlude portrays (according to me). As you can see, she is now confused what to focus on her dream, whether the postures she saw during the first interlude, or the one which she is seeing now or the ones with her lover. So she juxtaposes her images randomly. Big Sabaash to the director again! I have never heard a better mridangam in a film song (atleast not in the last 35 years). Please hear it to believe it. Astounding! The play of violins, flute and mridangam clearly brings us the state of her mind. I have even stated there were some long shots, I wasn't sure at that time, but now it makes sense. It is a dream anything can happen, sometimes the images can be closer, sometimes not. You can see what we dream of typically and we have not imagined too. I would even say it as a great test between the music and the visuals. Even if we don't care for the visuals, this is a perfect classical interlude we have ever heard. If you are a classical dancer, automatically your feet will dance to this interlude or atleast wanting to dance. Just a glorious piece of music!.

Again in 2nd charanam what lines!

ஊமையாய் போன சங்கீதம் ஒன்று
இன்று தான் பேசுதோ (please watch out for excellent gamakams by one and only SPB)
மேடை இல்லாமல் ஆடாத கால்கள்
இன்று தான் ஆடுதோ
கண்ணில் என்ன கனவோ (please watch out for excellent gamakams by one and only SPB)
நெஞ்சில் என்ன நினைவோ
நம்மை யார்தான் கேட்ப்பது (Here comes the triple A's, please watch out for excellent gamakams by one and only SPB, This one line, especially 'KEtpathu' I admit, I became slave for SPB's singing. I can even challenge to any singer if they can sing this line exactly like SPB)
விதிதானே சேர்ப்பாது
In that word KEtpathu, you can hear not just the gamakams; but yEkkam, Azhugai, santhosham, kaadhal, whatever emotions you line up, everything is right there! Singing genius unparalleled!
This is a rare song atleast from the picturization point of view, as we don't get to see often great visuals in Maestro's music. Again we are talking about instrument level! Big applause to the director :clap: Great lyrics. Is it by Vairamuthu? Normally for a classical dance composition like this, not much concentration given for lyrics, still Maestro opted for Vairamuthu and he delivered. :clap:

We have heard V Dakshinamoorty's (one of Maestro's mentor) Nanda en Nila. I heard this was composed in Madhuvanthi (janya of Dharmavathi). There are only a very few songs in this raagam and only very few songs which has that sweetness and carry us till our life. Again sung by our dearest SPB. If you listen to this song, you can never stop listening to it. Such is the composition and such is SPB's singing, touching our deepest hearts. Incidently, I see IlanchOlai Poothathaa as a rich tribute by Maestro to his mentor. I even think of Maestro using the same family of raagam (Dharmavathi) just because as they all belong to one family, which is music. Even here, Maestro chose our SPB to sing this greatest composition. And both are solos. This song should be among SPB's top best. A composition Maestro should be proud of. A composition SPB should be proud of. A composition musicians who played should be proud of. A composition director should be proud of. A composition Nadhiya and Sivakumar should be proud of acted in it. A composition every listener should be proud of as we don't get to hear this kind of music often (now, not at all).

A composition music should be proud of! VEnu gaanam!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kOLgcCu3VQ

V_S
19th January 2012, 10:54 AM
Sorry App for taking such a long time. Still not sure if I have done any justice to this master composition, with my very limited knowledge. Also would like our experts to analyze technically and also point out any of my mistakes.

app_engine
19th January 2012, 11:54 PM
ஆஹா, வி_எஸ்-ஜி, பிரமாதம்!

இவ்வளவு அற்புதமான ஒரு கட்டுரை எழுதிட்டு எதுக்கு இந்த 'ஸாரி, பூரி, குப்பத்தொட்டி லாரி' எல்லாம்? :-)

If a novice like me gets so much from his compositions, I could not imagine, what's in Maestro's store for serious listeners and experts like.

தமிழ்க்கலாச்சாரத்தை (தன்னடக்கம்) ரொம்பவே கடைப்பிடிக்கிறீங்க!

நீங்களெல்லாம் novice-னா அப்புறம் இந்த serious listener / expert அப்படீங்கறது யாரு? ஒன்னு ரெண்டு உதாரணம் சொன்னா நல்லா இருக்கும்:-)

இந்த விஷயத்துல உங்கள மாதிரி நம்மூர் ஆளுங்க, ராசா கிட்ட இருந்து கொஞ்சம் கத்துக்க வேண்டி இருக்கு:wink:

app_engine
20th January 2012, 12:04 AM
nanRi groucho, for the kind words and also the youtube link!

Going by V_Sji's post, the year is not over yet :-) At least one more song is in "my" hit list (eduththu vachcha pAlum) that is not on thiraippadal - will have to get another link to post...

OTOH, V_Sji,
I have already posted about my non-familiarity with the 'vA veLiyE' number :-(
Same goes with the theerththakkariyinilE song which I've never heard before.

So, I guess such songs need to be discussed without "numbering" (or later, as recommended by groucho) :-)

app_engine
20th January 2012, 01:51 AM
#264 எடுத்த வச்ச பாலும்
(நினைவே ஒரு சங்கீதம், 1987 ) (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?5453-Songs-that-have-made-an-emotional-impact-on-us-2&p=245292&viewfull=1#post245292)

The coolgoose (that became cooltoad - what a metamorphosis) link for the SPB version of the song is inside the above post by SP ammA (she does not like to be called chEchi/akkA). She has also posted the lyric there. With due respects to her reactions to TFM, I can't say if this song can have any kind of emotional impact on me. Just an "easy listening" kind of number. For the SJ version, check this thiraippAdal link (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2383'&lang=en). A sweet, typical late-80's IR song. idhu mAthiri eththanai eththaniyO :-) That way, neither the lines nor the melody / orchestration created any "wow" feeling in me then & now. It was a hit song nevertheless, from a Vijayakanth movie. (It's very much possible that the movie had a successful run as well, me don't remember...Honest is the right person for stats on VK).

EththamayyA Eththam - onakku romba EththamayyA Eththam was my fav number from this movie those days. The interesting slEdai use of the word Eththam (1.mechanism to fetch water for krishi 2. kozhuppu) caught the ears on the very first listen. I have a faint memory that tells me of watching this song on "oliyum oLiyum" where Radha was full of kuRumbu, supported by the excellent singing of Chithra and MV the apt choice for the pattikkAttu hero.

From what I remember, the one on screen was not the kind of water-fetcher that was used in our area.

What we had in my appA's village / surrounding area was the one pulled by bulls and it was a wonderful sight to watch the process (and listen to the kreech-kreech sound). Their yoke was pretty much like the one used in the cart but it got attached to the rope that will pull the 'kavalai' (villager's slang for what the science teacher called as 'kamalai' when teaching pulley & related principles). The "run way" of the bulls is at almost 45 deg slope and they run with ease when pulling the water up and then lazily walk backwords after emptying pAni into vAikkAl.

With the way in which minsAram gets rationed in TN, people may have to go back to Eththam / kamalai etc :wink:

V_S
20th January 2012, 01:57 AM
Thank you App sir for your kind words and appreciation. :D Thannadakkam ellaam illeenga, Raasa'voda ella paattu'leyum classical touch irukkum, aana Indha paatt'la classical touches rombave adhigam, like they say 'Manodharmam' in carnatic classical language, which is all very far from my area, that's why I reviewed the areas where I am comfortable, leaving out the vast area for experts to discuss.

app_engine
20th January 2012, 02:00 AM
pEr sollum piLLai, that came in 1987, is perhaps a rare case of a Kamal-IR movie where none of the SPB song qualifies for this thread, though thiraippAdal lists 3 numbers sung by him...the only song I remember from that movie - 'ammammA vandhadhindha singakkutty' - was by Kamal and I never liked that number also. What a pity :shock:

At such peak form & productivity, I can't believe rAsA failed to make catchy numbers for a KH movie. He possibly had some irritation towards the project, IMSO!

Plum
20th January 2012, 07:25 AM
Velakkethu, Ammamma - Good songs only. Spb got boxed into regular duets during this phase I think. Thappu thandaa could be the worst ir-kh number ever. Ammamma is brilliant, infact - watch the orchestration closely, app. I think - reading from your posts over years - that it might be you who got irritated with Kamal during this period. I am not surprised - me also same blood. AS and MMKR varaikkin apdi thaan irundhudhu

PARAMASHIVAN
20th January 2012, 05:41 PM
Excellent write up V_s ji, regarding "ilancholai" , like you mentioned SPB simply flows through emotions like a river flow, with no effort at all! I fell in love with this song one my 1st hearing! :clap:

Only IR + SPB possible!

V_S
20th January 2012, 08:44 PM
Thank you PS, very glad you like it. :D. As I said, this should be among SPB's top songs.

app_engine
20th January 2012, 10:22 PM
it might be you who got irritated with Kamal during this period

In general, yes...but this year had that awesome nallavarA-kettavarA thingy (I know you prefer D-Magan over that but in my book it's all-time-top-list candidate), so it was not all -ve :-)

Possibly, the string of horribles (e.g. gerAftAr) ended with nAyakar :-)

Also, the general reduction in the # of songs by SPB-IR combo (with no significant increase in KJY-IR / PJ-IR / MV-IR kind of "quality" combos) automatically meant heroes getting not-so-good-male voices / songs which included KH & RK. (e.g. vElaikkAran)

baroque
20th January 2012, 11:08 PM
1988 gets better with Ir's offerings of SPB songs like

UNNAL MUDIYUM THAMBI for Kamal (Kamal's other movie with IR is SOORASAMHARAM..2 films only he has done with IR in 1988).

DHARMATHIN THALAIVAN for Rajini

ORUVAR VAAZHUM AALAYAM ..some classical delights.

IR-Yesudas shows of AGNI NATCHATHIRAM AND EN BOMMUKKUTTI AMMAAVUKKU,
Raja took care of Tea kadaigal needs.:)

vinatha.

Plum
20th January 2012, 11:13 PM
App - nalla vELai T-magan-nu abbreviate paNNala :lol:

irir123
20th January 2012, 11:18 PM
1988 gets better with Ir's offerings of SPB songs like

UNNAL MUDIYUM THAMBI for Kamal (Kamal's other movie with IR is SOORASAMHARAM..2 films only he has done with IR in 1988).

DHARMATHIN THALAIVAN for Rajini

ORUVAR VAAZHUM AALAYAM ..some classical delights.

Vinatha.

1988 ! the same year a big MONSTER came out from IR's : AGNI NATCHATHIRAM !

how can one man come up with such variety in one single year ??!!

baroque
20th January 2012, 11:24 PM
yeah... it is Yesudas show,
poove sempoove ... too has come the same year.

avaru manushan illai!

Vinatha

app_engine
20th January 2012, 11:25 PM
1988 ! the same year a big MONSTER came out from IR's : AGNI NATCHATHIRAM !

However, no SPB there :oops: (Thankfully, no Mano :-), both duets went to KJY and the solo had rAjAthi rAjan)

baroque
20th January 2012, 11:43 PM
yeah... no Mano in ManiR film appadinnudhaan, pinnaaley
idhayaththai thirudaadhey full album Mano kku IR koduththuttaru pola :)

Rahman vandhu thiruda thiruda le super duper piano, chorus, flute, violin orchestral marvel PUTHTHAM PUDHU BOOMI.... koduththittar.... Sema paattu idhu!
ARR with Mano's
Thiruda thiruda blows my mind every time:-D

Mano - Ilayaraja's chellam, Rahman's guest star , He is fine.

app_engine
21st January 2012, 12:24 AM
baroque,
'puththam puthu bhoomi' is my all-time-fav (both for the lines & music, I've posted in jai's 1000 song thread that this is my #1 for kavidhai).

I think ARR had done manipulation of Mano voice there :wink:...for long I believed it had SPB :oops:

BTW, I'm not "against" Mano but simply feel he got too many songs from IR in the late-80's, disproportionate to his capabilities.

app_engine
21st January 2012, 01:29 AM
There is another "never heard before" number called dheepangaLE oLi thoovungaLE (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3688'&lang=en)from dhooraththuppachchai in year 1987...and so can't make it to our compilation.

So is this number thEnE senthEnE (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3754'&lang=en) from uLLam kavarndha kaLvan, a Vijayakanth movie...the song is a sweetie, though :-)

baroque
21st January 2012, 01:29 AM

Bala's notable MEDHUVAA MEDHUVAA KAADHAL PATTU....&

SELAI KATTUM PENNUKKORU... this year 1988 seems.

Vinatha

app_engine
21st January 2012, 01:30 AM
So, that makes the year 1987 complete (in my reckoning, we can always revisit as this is not the end-of-the-world :-) )

So, time for the compilation of links and do the EOY formality for 1987!

app_engine
21st January 2012, 01:39 AM
The links post, EOY 1987 :

From 1976 to 1986 hyperlinks (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-256-ஆனந்த்-பாடல்கள்&p=796026&viewfull=1#post796026)

1987 hits:

#251 thOttaththula pAththi katti (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-256-ஆனந்த்-பாடல்கள்&p=796062&viewfull=1#post796062)
#252 kookkoo enRu kuyil koovAthO? (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-256-ஆனந்த்-பாடல்கள்&p=796832&viewfull=1#post796832)
#253 hEy, unnaiththAnE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-256-ஆனந்த்-பாடல்கள்&p=797110&viewfull=1#post797110)
#254 kAdhal maharANi (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-256-ஆனந்த்-பாடல்கள்&p=797418&viewfull=1#post797418)
#255 puRAkkaLE puRAkkaLE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-256-ஆனந்த்-பாடல்கள்&p=798054&viewfull=1#post798054)
#256 hEy rAjA onRAnOm inRu (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-256-ஆனந்த்-பாடல்கள்&p=798711&viewfull=1#post798711)
#257 malaiyOram veesum kARRu (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-256-ஆனந்த்-பாடல்கள்&p=799221&viewfull=1#post799221)
#258 pAdungaL pAttuppAdungaL (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-256-ஆனந்த்-பாடல்கள்&p=799630&viewfull=1#post799630)
#259 Ola OlakkudisaiyilE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-256-ஆனந்த்-பாடல்கள்&p=801467&viewfull=1#post801467)
#260 thodAtha thALam pOda vENdum (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-256-ஆனந்த்-பாடல்கள்&p=801495&viewfull=1#post801495)
#261 I want to tell you / hEy you you come to me (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-256-ஆனந்த்-பாடல்கள்&p=801497&viewfull=1#post801497)
#262 Eththi vachcha neruppinilE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-256-ஆனந்த்-பாடல்கள்&p=802050&viewfull=1#post802050)
#263 oru kAdhal enbadhu (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-256-ஆனந்த்-பாடல்கள்&p=802052&viewfull=1#post802052)
#264 eduththu vachcha pAlum (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-256-ஆனந்த்-பாடல்கள்&p=802563&viewfull=1#post802563)

app_engine
21st January 2012, 03:54 AM
#265 தென்மதுரை வைகை நதி
அது பாடும் தமிழ்ப்பாட்டு
(தர்மத்தின் தலைவன், 1988 , சுசீலா & மலேசியா வாசுதேவனுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0666'&lang=en)

Poet Bharathi wrote :

"சென்றிடுவீர் எட்டுத்திக்கும், கலைச்செல்வங்கள் யாவும் கொணர்ந்திங்குச்சேர்ப்பீர்"

Whether all TN-ers took this seriously and went in all 8 directions or not , there is one group that took this as dheiva vAkku. The direction that this group started towards was north-west and the destination is currently well-known worldwide as "bollywood":-) (Well, I can hear someone yelling, "hEy, we know here as hubbers that TFMD's have gone in more than 8 directions to fetch their 'kalaichchelvangaL' " (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?587-COPYING-IN-TAMIL-FILM-HISTORY):wink:)

'kasmE vAdhE' happened to be one of those kalaichchelvams that SPM & Co. brought to TN and it got popularized by "localizing" using Rajinikanth / Prabhu / Hasini / rAsA & SPB! (Did I forget Kushbu? Well, this was probably her first TF & in this Prabhu appreciates her kannams...while she went on to become so popular among TN-ers that they even built a kOyil to worship her, her kannams too had their admiration by the sAppAttu rAmans of TN who named a sponge-like-idli after them :lol:)

sari, namma matterukku varuvOm...

This fantastic song that showcases a 'thiruneer / kadhar vEshti thuNdu / maRadhi' Rajinikanth surprising his household with 'full suit', has three singers. However, IMHO, it is a "duet" between SPB & bass guitar! One can listen to their association any number of times on repeat mode! Ofcourse, there is additional bonus of listening to sweet piano, sax, violin portions. Personally, I love the visuals very much too and it got featured in the 'appreciating picturization' thread (but I know there are hubbers who'll run away the very moment they hear the word hAsini). Poor MV & PS got to sing only in the end pallavi which is an unusual feature of this song. Two top-class singers for just one line in a song, only richie-rich producers can afford!

Needless to say this song was a patti-thotti hit and is popular till today. I don't think there had been any time period -since its arrival - that I didn't have a copy of this number! Evergreen and almost always among my collections / current playlists!

By this time, I worked my way out of testing shop / production shop level tasks and was into product development. Which meant frequent travels to Bangalore where the top-R&D-brains were sitting. Stay was sometimes in the Indiranagar company guest house and when no-room-available, Rubin house :-) During one such stay, me & friend watched dharmaththin thalaivan in a theater near Shivajinagar bus stand (looks like they don't like to end names of places with consonants in KannadA - what we call Shivajinagar is "Shivaji nagarA" in Kannadam...sorry kannadA...and so it goes for all "puram"s that are called "purA"s :lol2:)

Well, when the drinking Rajini appeared on screen, there was such a roaring response from front benchers - throwing coins and what not! I haven't seen such a scene in theater even for MGR movies in TN and was surprised / shocked!

baroque
21st January 2012, 04:31 AM
I watched the movie-DVD during 90s in USA.

absent minded , innocent professor ரஜினி is such a delight :thumbsup: , once he died , i kind of lost interest in the movie.

but composition is popular in buses, kadaigal etc..

such a beautiful composition from இளையராஜா , by the time

நெஞ்சில் என்னை நாளும் வைத்து
கொஞ்சும் வண்ண தோகை ஒன்று
மஞ்சள் மாலை மேளம் யாவும்
கண்ணில் காணும் காலம் உண்டு
பூவை சூடி பொட்டும் வைக்க மாமன் உண்டு மானே மானே
உள்ளம் தன்னை கொள்ளை கொண்ட கள்வன் இங்கு நானே நானே ... comes my mood fly high then & now .:musicsmile:

mmm...good old days, songs like this make you smile whole day :-D

உள்ளம் கவர் கள்வர்கள் indeed!

Evergreen composition from IR.

தர்மத்தின் தலைவன், கிழக்கு வாசல் & சத்ரியன்
What a combo from Oriental records!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul9bzdIgqrI&amp;feature=related

Vinatha

RR
21st January 2012, 12:29 PM
it is a "duet" between SPB & bass guitar!
Righly said. The bass strings are noteworthy in this song. But for them, the orchestration is kind of subdued, probably not to ovrshadow the lead melody. The picturisation of course played a key role to make it a patti-thotti hit..

Nerd
21st January 2012, 09:32 PM
Poor MV & PS got to sing only in the end pallavi which is an unusual feature of this song. Two top-class singers for just one line in a song, only richie-rich producers can afford!

MV sung (and PS, the last pallavi) the sad version of thenmadurai which comes after the Prof's demise. They probably sung both the versions in the same day. So orE sambalam, two songs perhaps :smile2: That song has completely different ludes, only the groove was maintained.

Eventhough the series is nearing completion, one good thing is 'young' people like me can start relating to the songs from now on :-) As you rightly said, one of the BIGGEST hits of Raja. Remember seeing the film in theaters and watching the song multiple times in oliyum oliyum during the pre-Sun TV days. And was a regular in Sun/Sun Music/ SCV etc. in the 90s. Hugely popular to this date. One of my favorite films of Rajini. The prof. was such a loveable character. 'T' fit for Rajini.

Plum
21st January 2012, 10:07 PM
Actually, the prof character was the better part of the movie. Yet, the relatively poor run of the movie was attributed to the Prof character being wimpy and not acceptable to the mass fans of Rajini. This was about the time my migration started. As recounted many times before, the migration was complete by MMKR.

V_S
21st January 2012, 10:11 PM
Very good info App on Kasme Vade. I didn't know about it. Yes, an evergreen song in tfm and a biggest hit for Maestro. SPB's casual 'smile and sing' at 'maane maane' and what an improvisation immediately in the next line 'naane naane' this with that little laugh. Trademark SPB :thumbsup:. I love the picturization and Rajini's acting just exactly what was needed for that situation. AlavOda nadichiruppar, being both a brother and a lover. I usually watch this movie only till the first half. One of Rajini's best film!.

app_engine
22nd January 2012, 05:06 AM
nanRi baroque, for the 'U-K-K' comment & the youtube :-)

nanRi RR sir, Nerd, Plum & V_Sji for the kind words!

dig
I talked about PM in my post on 'I want to tell you something'...

A youtube person has hosted a number of his hits (all links in the bottom of the youtube page) and I picked this "Toccata" where he himself plays on stage :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfkIWnThTB4&amp;feature=BFa&amp;list=AVGxdCwVVULXd 4npUSEb94g_lRhe5-hlhq&amp;lf=list_related

end-dig

A_S
22nd January 2012, 09:12 PM
App Engine,

How about the songs from Paadum Paravaigal (Keeravani & Egantha Velai for sure, may be there are more SPB songs)? These songs get played almost on a daily basis in all the music channels and hence deserve to be covered here. Remember this movie getting released (rather dubbed in Tamil) in 1985.

app_engine
22nd January 2012, 09:31 PM
Welcome to the hub, A_S!

thiraippAdal website lists pAdum paRavaikaL as a 1988-er, so we'll cover that movie now :-)

A_S
22nd January 2012, 09:40 PM
Thanks App. Recently heard the song (starting with the movie title) from Theertha Karaiyenele (1987 Mohan, Rupini Starrer) when Jaya TV was showing it on a weekend. Typical IR melody (great orchestration, unforgettable interludes) rendered very well by SPB (humming has some classical touches as well). It will be good if you (as well as V_S) can cover this.

rajkumarc
23rd January 2012, 08:47 AM
Kind of sad to see the IR-SPB numbers dwindling down towards the late 80s. App - Hope you continue posting about IR-SPB numbers in 90s as well. Thanks.

V_S
23rd January 2012, 09:57 AM
rajkumarc,
I think the only year in 80's where SPB numbers are less is 1987 because the number of films Maestro did in 1987 is less compared to other years. It is around 40 in 1987. See we have to say 40 films is less :sad:
From 1988 till 1993 the number of films is again more than 50, peaking in 1992 and 1993. In 1992, a whopping 65 films (according to rakkamma) and 1993, 52 films. Again during these years, we didn't see many new singers coming up. So ideally we should see the drop in SPB numbers only from 1994. App, please correct me if I am wrong.

A_S, welcome to the hub!

PARAMASHIVAN
23rd January 2012, 03:54 PM
ideally we should see the drop in SPB numbers only from 1994. App, please correct me if I am wrong.

V_S sir,

Yes I do think this was the year RK's blockbuster "veera" was released. This was one of the biggest hits from IR+SPB! and AFAIK the last SPB+IR song was in the film "Friends".

PARAMASHIVAN
23rd January 2012, 03:59 PM
welcome to the hub A_S :)

skr
23rd January 2012, 06:26 PM
rajkumarc,
I think the only year in 80's where SPB numbers are less is 1987 because the number of films Maestro did in 1987 is less compared to other years. It is around 40 in 1987. See we have to say 40 films is less :sad:
From 1988 till 1993 the number of films is again more than 50, peaking in 1992 and 1993. In 1992, a whopping 65 films (according to rakkamma) and 1993, 52 films.

Lucky fellows :)
You guys must have been spoilt for choice. His music is the only reason i wish i was born a decade or so before.

app_engine
23rd January 2012, 09:08 PM
From 1988 till 1993 the number of films is again more than 50, peaking in 1992 and 1993. In 1992, a whopping 65 films (according to rakkamma) and 1993, 52 films. Again during these years, we didn't see many new singers coming up. So ideally we should see the drop in SPB numbers only from 1994.

I don't know for sure how many SPB-IR hits will come up for the years 1988-93 as I wasn't in TN & also had many other factors influencing my "not-listening-to-TFM-much" during this period:-)

Let's find out together, in this thread, in the coming weeks :-)

baroque
23rd January 2012, 09:27 PM
I don't know for sure how many SPB-IR hits will come up for the years 1988-93 as I wasn't in TN & also had many other factors influencing my "not-listening-to-TFM-much" during this period:-)

Let's find out together, in this thread, in the coming weeks :-)

Between 1988-1993, we have

VARUSHAM 16, VETRI VIZHA,KARAGATTAKKARAN,KELADI KANMANI,CHINNATHAMBI, GOPURA VAASALILEY,THALAPATHI,CHINNAKKOUNDAR, KIZHAKKU VAASAL,NAADODITHTHENDRAL,SEMBARUTHI ETC...just name a few,

if you are living in South Indian states or even visiting them sometimes, it's hard not to listen and enjoy them. App_eng.

How can it be "not-listening-to-TFM-much" period for you?:roll:
mmm...

No point of time, I move away from my Tamil film music.

I woke up with Composer Jaidev's mujhe jeene do..tantalizing compositions when I exercised this morning, finished with Ilayaraja sangeetham.http://www.mayyam.com/talk/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

Vinatha.

app_engine
23rd January 2012, 09:36 PM
How can it be "not-listening-to-TFM-much" period for you?:roll:
mmm...

Vinatha.

I'm talking about "relative" to other periods :-) For e.g., between 1976 & 1982, it was 99% TFM and that 1% distributed to BoneyM ABBA kinds. From 1982-1986, there was possibly 90% TFM and others MJ / Madonna etc. However, from 1987, other interests crept in - MFM, PM to name two majors...(In addition, job-career has taken its toll. Then came marriage in 1991 :-) )

baroque
23rd January 2012, 09:38 PM
:-D

Vinatha

app_engine
23rd January 2012, 10:59 PM
While we don't get pages & pages of responses in this thread, the # of views had a spurt in the last couple of months...while it took a long time for the thread to get 100K views, the time taken between 100K & 200K views is pretty short and impressive :thumbsup:

I'll have to post 3 songs today (sat/sun/mon) and will start with pAdum paRavaikaL...

PARAMASHIVAN
23rd January 2012, 11:12 PM
Between 1988-1993, we have

VARUSHAM 16, VETRI VIZHA,KARAGATTAKKARAN,KELADI KANMANI,CHINNATHAMBI, GOPURA VAASALILEY,THALAPATHI,CHINNAKKOUNDAR, KIZHAKKU VAASAL,NAADODITHTHENDRAL,SEMBARUTHI ETC...just name a few,

Add Vanna vanna pookal to the list :)

app_engine
23rd January 2012, 11:50 PM
#266 ஏகாந்த வேளை இனிக்கும் இன்பத்தின் வாசல் திறக்கும்
(பாடும் பறவைகள், 1988 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2518'&lang=en)

The top SPB-SJ pair is back in business with this strong album and I simply lapped up those songs when arrived (had the "original" cassette of poor manufacturing quality and another recorded version as well)! I didn't know much about the background of the movie except the fact that it had Karthik & Banupriya. It was much later that I came to know about its vadakku origins. (i.e. vadakku to Poovirundha valli). I'm sure Plum (and a few other hubbers) liked the originals much better; but, for people like me, these songs are gorgeous! Though this song starts with brief mukkal-munakal, such do not continue and it possibly got accepted by AIR fellows. (I don't know for sure as I couldn't get much opportunity to listen to AIR during this time period).

In any case, I've heard this song many times on buses and that's how I came to know about them in the first place, before getting the cassette. One associate who had the chance to watch the movie said that it was a thriller about someone who researches in music (sounds of birds?). Whatever it was, the film possibly didn't do well in TN IIRC. Going by logical reasoning, this movie must have been a hit in Telugu (otherwise the money bags wouldn't have chosen to dub / remake). Regardless, the songs were popular and were my favourties. And they do remind me of my morning walk from the room to catch the bus to workplace, will cover a couple of features of that in the posts on PP songs.

Feature #1 : Tippu Sultan kOttai.
Like I mentioned before, one can see the "kOttai" if they stand in the walkway of about 200 meters from the main road to our lodge. I used to cross the main road and walk on the unpaved road that was around the agazhi of the kOttai to reach the bus stop. The kOttai itself is not that impressive - for one reason, it was not on a "rock mass" (as in the case of those in Trichy or Dindigul) and so not a real towering structure. In addition, when you walk by a historical site / monument everyday (for months or years), you stop thinking about it as a tourist typically does (envisioning crocodiles in the agazhi, elephants opening the passage, soldiers with spears sitting on the watching towers etc). In addition, there were many gov offices around that kOttai, including the dist collector's office / district court etc within walkable distance and so the place is surrounded by roads that buzz with vehicles / buses / pedestrians etc.

So, no one in the right mind gets into "history-dreams", especially when they walk around the agazhi to catch the morning bus to work :-)

Plum
24th January 2012, 12:05 AM
Anweshana - I guess you are talking about "ilalo kurise" or "EkAntha vELA". I haven't heard the tamil version of the former and have vague memory of the latter. Not a particular favourite, this album, except for the upcoming masterpiece in Keeravani. One interesting fact is Vamsi, true to his reputation, got IR to rework his then-recent hit in "edhuta neeve" from Abhinandana. The latter is a love-lament ballad while the one in this movie is a thrill-frill song. Experiment, I guess. Whatever be the case, both were big hits (in telugu atleast). Try matching that for cheek! Ofcourse, SA Rajkumar made a career out of one or two tunes so this is not something to be paraded as an outstanding achievement of IR :)

app_engine
24th January 2012, 12:36 AM
#267 கீரவாணி இரவிலே
(பாடும் பறவைகள், 1988 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2520'&lang=en)

Extremely sweet number and SPB & SJ both simply excel in this number!

Being a rAgA ignorant / rAgA agnostic, I never knew before the name "keeravANi". So, the first time I heard this song on a bus (amidst other noises), my mind caught the first line as 'keezha vAnam'. Once it registers that way, it automatically plays back the same line each time - especially when you're paying attention to many other things happening in the song. So, it was 'keezha vAnam' for me until I got the cassette and I was confused to see it listed differently. When Vivek jokes about cinema educating people of the existence / names of various diseases (dhool), one cannot help but acknowledge the element of truth in it. Same way, during the rAsA era, movie songs are the primary key to educating common public about rAgams & this song happens to be one among them :-) There's no question about the sweetness of keeravANi!

So, from the sweet rAgam, I'm moving into one sweet experience when walking along the agazhi of Palakkad kottai. Which is our feature #2 - national atheletes practicing around the fort :-)

During my walks to catch the morning bus, I've often noticed girls & boys (atheletes) practicing along the same walkway around the fort (using that as their "track"). I thought they were some local atheletes, making use of the available space - a little raised over the surroundings so no collected-rain-water-sakadhi-kind-of-hassle etc. I often noticed the tall & well-built man standing with his motor cycle, timing them and giving them instructions etc and assumed him to be local PT master or someone like that. Then one day, I saw a familar face standing near him in track suits.

"indha mugaththai engEyO pAththirukkOmE", I thought. It didn't immediately flash in my mind but the face got stored in the memory. Well, the very next time I saw the same face on some magazine or newspaper, my mind jumped in joy! Hey, I've seen a national star practicing in my neighborhood! It was MD Valsamma, whose success those days was second only to P T Usha's and the man whom I've seen coaching youngsters there was her railways coach - Mr Kutty. Though I've never talked to either of them during my many walks, I've seen the whole group - the coach & atheletes with a lot more respect from that point onwards. (And sometimes pitied them for the poor facilities they got for practicing - despite getting the nation some honor in the Asian games levels).

Well, I do have a personal picture of the famous athelete, when she visited my son's elementary school years later and gave him some medal :-)

app_engine
24th January 2012, 03:24 AM
Anweshana - I guess you are talking about "ilalo kurise" or "EkAntha vELA".

It was possibly 'EkAntha vELA' (the Thamizh one being 'EkAntha vELai') :-)

My second post was on 'keeravANi' ofcourse :-)

app_engine
24th January 2012, 03:29 AM
I don't think the other "bayamuRuththal" song from pAdum paRavaikaL qualifies as a hit. So, only two numbers from that movie.

For the Monday song, another movie...is there a Kamal one around?

Yes, the Thamizh version of IR's NA winner seems to be from this year...let's start the music :-)

(sigh...another Telugu remake...full of "kalaichchelvams" this year, endha nEraththil BharathiyArai quote paNNinEnO :-( )

app_engine
24th January 2012, 03:46 AM
#268 இதழில் கதை எழுதும் நேரமிது
(உன்னால் முடியும் தம்பி, 1988 , சித்ராவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3811'&lang=en)

ICM lovers call this song a milestone number in film music.

Let me give a portion from the "Classical IR" section of tfmpage, (http://www.tfmpage.com/ci/ci3.html) written by Lakshminarayanan :

/quote/

Considering the panchama varjaya ragam of Mayamalavagowlai, he was the only one who ever used it so far! That is the Lalitha ragam. It seems to be a recent attraction to him. The first Lalitha came in unnal mudiyum thambi, when Kamal sings a duet with the heroine Seetha! 'Idhazhil kadhai ezhudhum' is a great Lalitha. Illayaraja should have definitely got the idea for this tune from Muthuswamy Dikshitar's heranmayim lakshmim. To me, the movements of both the song and keerthanai seem similar. But Dikshitar ingeniously starts the keer- thanai in suddha daivatam. The continuity of the tune that Illayaraja has maintained in 'idhazhil kadhai ezhudhu', the step by step progression from one swara to another, the development of superb sangathis, each and every bit in that tune is simply excellant. This song is like a milestone in Thamizh cine-music. Gangei Amaran's lyrics is unusually wonderful, matching his another brother paavalar Varadharajan's 'mannil intha kadal' (keladi kanmani). He proved himself a poet in this song!

/end-quote/
(took some liberty & edited the italicized area with achchuppizhai & it's not related to music / song)

I don't have to talk more about the prathAbam of this song :-) Ofcourse, SPB & Chithra at their sweetest! I'm not a big fan of Kamal's arai-kuRai meesai in this movie but the KH-Sita pair is very enjoyable! (Plum will come and say Chiranjeevi & Shobana were better but I have not seen them :wink:)

I've watched this movie in Palakkad and concluded "it's ok but not great" but liked the songs very much! We've already talked about the samayal song when discussing maNippur mAmiyAr and won't post it now. Of the other numbers by SPB, obviously this duet is the top one for me. We'll discuss the other numbers in the subsequent posts...

The movie's climax was a big joke to me when a "Rajiv-Gandhi-like" person was used on-screen. We kept laughing in the theater. (May not do so if I watch it today on DVD but never felt like revisiting this movie).

app_engine
24th January 2012, 04:14 AM
Quickly scanning through the movie listing of 1988 indicates to me that we may not hit the 300-mark this year.

Still, I want to give at least the honor of being the "last song of this year" to the grand number that failed to make it to NBW:-) Let us see what will be its serial #...

al_gates
24th January 2012, 04:58 AM
It was MD Valsamma, whose success those days was second only to P T Usha's and the man whom I've seen coaching youngsters there was her railways coach - Mr Kutty.

MDV won the gold in the 400m Hurdles in the 82 Asiad if my memory serves me right. Usha was 18 then but really took off from next year onwards and lost the bronze by 0.01 seconds in the 84 LA Olympics. This is that race, look for PT in the white jersey: http://bit.ly/jayQy

I recollect seeing a pic of MDV at her office either for a Bank or for Railways. Usha's coach OM Nambiar had a sad story though...I recollect reading that at Usha's wedding to a railway officer Srinivasan(1991), Nambiar was sidelined to a corner of the event. The villain apparently was a relative of Usha who caused the fallout. Nambiar had picked Usha as a special talent since she was very small.

PS: App, Judi Brown who pipped Usha by 0.01s to win bronze is from Michigan(Lansing or so..) I hope you will pass her by on way to work :)

genesis
24th January 2012, 05:32 AM
#267 கீரவாணி இரவிலே
(பாடும் பறவைகள், 1988 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2520'&lang=en)
:-)

For some weird reason I had difficult time associating IR with பாடும் பறவைகள். The songs from this movie are so different from what he had done earlier. For few years I used think the MD for this movie was Keeravani aka Maragathamani aka M.M.Kreem (because of the Keeravani song!?)

It also looks like this movie "part-dubbed" in Tamil few years after original Telugu release - some parts of Telugu movie was edited out and replaced with Tamil actors.

Sureshs65
24th January 2012, 12:57 PM
app,

It was indeed 'ekantha vela'. I ofcourse haven't heard of the songs in Tamil except 'Keeravani'. It was major hit movie in Hyd, with guys flipping for Bhanupriya (and girls for Karthik) in this and for the photography. Other than music that is :) The songs were all big hits. The movie is supposed to be a thriller but Vamsi spends more time giving 'effects' and confusing people. I thought it was shoddily made.

Again 'idhazhil kadhai ezhudhum' I prefer in Telugu for the lyrics. Seetharama Sastry in absolute crackling form.

Nerd
24th January 2012, 06:25 PM
It also looks like this movie "part-dubbed" in Tamil few years after original Telugu release - some parts of Telugu movie was edited out and replaced with Tamil actors.
Yes. Not sure if the movie had a comedy track in Telugu but in thamizh a GM-Senthil track was added. Annan comes as a 'pOli' puli vEttaikkaarar. (Don't confuse this with thaalaattu kEtkuthammA). This one was largely unfunny. Have seen the film too. Mokkai blade. This song used to be a regular in SCV during the 90s and thats when I discovered it.

PARAMASHIVAN
24th January 2012, 07:05 PM
Paadum Parvaigal,

Really a spooky stuff for 80's standard, I only saw the movie about 1 year ago! I really liked it. Cant's stand sarath babu , but watched it for Karthik, Banu and IR+SPB songs!, was this originally a telugu movie?

app_engine
24th January 2012, 08:27 PM
Again 'idhazhil kadhai ezhudhum' I prefer in Telugu for the lyrics. Seetharama Sastry in absolute crackling form.

I expected this, Sureshji :-)

Possibly Plum has the same opinion as well... has the 'lalitha' song been already covered in the "IR's Telugu songs - lyrics" thread?

app_engine
24th January 2012, 08:28 PM
PS: App, Judi Brown who pipped Usha by 0.01s to win bronze is from Michigan(Lansing or so..) I hope you will pass her by on way to work :)

That's interesting info :-)

BTW, MDV was with Railways per my memory...it's possible she switched jobs...

I'll check out the video link at home (cannot open here)...

app_engine
24th January 2012, 08:30 PM
Paadum Parvaigal,

was this originally a telugu movie?

Yes, sir!

All the four songs covered so far in the year 1988 are from "remake / dub" kind of movies. And there're more 'kalaichchelvangaL' to come...

PARAMASHIVAN
24th January 2012, 08:33 PM
Yes, sir!

All the four songs covered so far in the year 1988 are from "remake / dub" kind of movies. And there're more 'kalaichchelvangaL' to come...

Hmm, I thought so :)

Annan's comedy sequence looked very odd in this movie! Probably one of the worst sequence for Annan :(

app_engine
24th January 2012, 09:15 PM
#269 புஞ்சை (புன்செய்) உண்டு நஞ்சை (நன்செய்) உண்டு
(உன்னால் முடியும் தம்பி, 1988 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3814'&lang=en)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/df/Sorghum.jpg/200px-Sorghum.jpg This wikipedia link on pun-sey (http://ta.wikipedia.org/wiki/புன்செய்_தானியங்கள்) is a good read for any who have questions about what are these terms 'punjai' & 'nanjai' that the song talks about. Decades back, it was understood that any average TN-er knows the meanings of these terms (and so the song has no problems referring to them in the first line).

In this age of 'why this kolaveRi', 'asku laskA', 'heart-ilE battery', I won't be surprised if most TN-ers do not understand the meaning of these words. Which is why I start this post with the wikipedia link that talks about the grains that could grow in TN using just the sparse rain water. These give excellent nutrients despite needing less resources to grow.

In my appA's village, both kinds of cultivation were in vogue during my childhood and they very rarely ate nelluchchOru. If at all they had it, it was from 'kaikkuRRal' (and typically 'pachcha nelluchchOru' and very rarely 'puzhungal arisi'). Typically it was chOLam / kambu / varagu / kuthiraivAli, all punjai grains and the diet kept them really healthy till advanced age as per my observation (i.e. those who didn't get into alcohol and other vices). That too without any kind of "advanced healthcare support" as in the case of U.S. / Canada:-)

(When I attended the funeral of my Detroit friend's mom -85- yesterday, the thought of my dad's eldest sis who passed away last year came to mind. They didn't even have the record of her DOB and so 'estimated' the age to around 90! She was working in the field till a couple of years before her death :shock: And without any scheduled visits to doc's office and other paraphernalia! Definitely something to think about!)

This song ofcourse, is quite a joy ride - with excellent percussion work and enthusiastic singing by SPB. So is the scene on screen where KH is full of energy! (I really loved that character in the movie who plants trees - there are people whom I've come across like him in real life and they're definitely among my "heroes" list!)

PARAMASHIVAN
24th January 2012, 09:19 PM
App anna

What does Punjai and Nanjai mean ? :roll:

app_engine
24th January 2012, 09:27 PM
App anna

What does Punjai and Nanjai mean ? :roll:

From the wikipedia article that I linked in that post :

நமது முன்னோர்கள், பயிர் வகைகளை தொன்று தொட்டு, நன்செய், புன்செய் என்ற இரு பெரும் பிரிவுகளாக பிரித்து வைத்துள்ளனர். அவை இன்றளவும் வழக்கத்தில் உண்டு.

பொதுவாக நீர் அதிகம் தேவைப்படும் பயிர்களுக்கு நன்செய் என்றும், மானாவரி அல்லது குறைந்த நீர் தேவையுள்ள பயிர்களுக்கு புன்செய் பயிர்கள் என்றும் பாகுபடுத்தியுள்ளனர்

Plum
24th January 2012, 09:38 PM
App - lalitha priya kamalam by jesu anna. You guessed right. Jesu anna walks away with honours inspite of much more effort and expressions by Balu. Good idea for suresh/vishnubotla to pick the song for the telugu lyrics thread :thumbsup:

PARAMASHIVAN
24th January 2012, 09:58 PM
From the wikipedia article that I linked in that post :

PARAMASHIVAN
24th January 2012, 10:03 PM
There was one Carnatic based song in UMT by KJY, I can not recall it! I guess it was for Gemini Ganeshan. I can only remember "unaal mudiyum thambi thambi" (highly motivating song), "punjai onu nanjai undu" and the Highly Expressive "enna samayalO" by SPB+KSC!

skr
24th January 2012, 11:40 PM
Param , i think you are referring to Nee Ondru Thaan Bilahari which is sung by KJY
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3813'&lang=en

rajkumarc
25th January 2012, 02:19 AM
App - Great posts as usual. Special thanks for the raga details of Idhazhil Kadhai Ezhudum song, invaluable info. Never knew that UMT was a remake but I liked that movie mostly. Performances of Gemini and Kamal were really good and of course the songs & music were superb. Need to hear Rudraveena songs now.

app_engine
25th January 2012, 03:07 AM
nanRi rajkumarc!

unga 'Special thanks for the raga details' should actually go to the jAmbavAns of tfmpage (from where I simbly did ctrl-c/ctrl-v) :-)

Divine22
25th January 2012, 10:39 AM
Great going App Sir :clap:

Such wonderful posts, flawlessly ... Its saddening that the number of songs are decreasing, soon will be reaching the 90's...
But enjoying your posts & songs for now. Nandrigal pala ungalukku App. :)

PARAMASHIVAN
25th January 2012, 03:45 PM
Param , i think you are referring to Nee Ondru Thaan Bilahari which is sung by KJY
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3813'&lang=en

That's the one, thank you very much :)

Sureshs65
25th January 2012, 04:41 PM
app,

No we didn't cover the Lalitha song in the lyrics thread. I don't think those lyrics can be translated!!!

PARAMASHIVAN
25th January 2012, 04:46 PM
Was UMT a remake of Rudraveena ? If so, didn't SPB get a National award for one of the songs in this movie?

app_engine
25th January 2012, 09:29 PM
nanRi, Divine22, for the kind words!

I don't think those lyrics can be translated!!!

neenga sonnA sariyAththAn irukkum!

Was UMT a remake of Rudraveena ? If so, didn't SPB get a National award for one of the songs in this movie?

Yes, it was a remake of rudraveeNA!

Also yes, SPB got NA for 'cheppAlani undi' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_honors_conferred_on_S._P._Balas ubrahmanyam)

PARAMASHIVAN
25th January 2012, 09:49 PM
Yes, it was a remake of rudraveeNA!

Also yes, SPB got NA for 'cheppAlani undi' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_honors_conferred_on_S._P._Balas ubrahmanyam)

Thanks anna :)

My knowledge of telugu is Zero, though I am a Shankaraparanam fanatic due to SPB sir and KVM sir

what is 'cheppAlani undi' version in tamil ?

Plum
25th January 2012, 10:21 PM
It isn't there in Tamil faram. It is a sort of vasana-kavidhai. Written by Sri Sri, a telugu poet of the order of Bharathiyaar per their history. The lyrics are inspirational and situationally apt. Burning with passion and grit. I had completely forgotten the song until app quoted it today :shock:. Chiru bhai used it as his (now deceased) party's anthem.

PARAMASHIVAN
25th January 2012, 10:26 PM
It isn't there in Tamil faram. It is a sort of vasana-kavidhai. Written by Sri Sri, a telugu poet of the order of Bharathiyaar per their history. The lyrics are inspirational and situationally apt

Oh Thanks Flau annEh :oops: :)

app_engine
25th January 2012, 11:38 PM
#270 உன்னால் முடியும் தம்பி தம்பி
(உன்னால் முடியும் தம்பி, 1988) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3815'&lang=en)

The movie's title was inspired by the motivational articles of Dr M S Udhayamoorthi (& accordingly the hero got his name). Nice, motivational song - neatly sung by SPB. The lyricist is Pulamaippiththan. Dr MSU talks about the movie in this interview, possibly by thenRal magazine (http://www.alaikal.com/news/?p=44347) that came in 2010.

I'm copy-pasting the key portion here :

--quote--

கே: ‘உன்னால் முடியும் தம்பி’ என்ற பெயரில் உங்களை கௌரவிக்கும் விதமாக கே.
பாலசந்தர் திரைப்படம் எடுத்தது குறித்து…

ப: பாலசந்தர் என் நீண்ட நாள் நண்பர். என் எழுத்தின் மீதும், காரியங்கள் மீதும் மதிப்புடையவர். அந்த மதிப்பினால் நான் எவற்றுக்காகப் பாடுபட்டுக் கொண்டிருந்தேனோ அவற்றை மையமாக வைத்து அந்தத் திரைப்படத்தை எடுத்திருந்தார். கதாநாயகனுக்குக் கூட என் பெயர்தான். எனக்கு அது குறித்துக் கடிதம் எழுதியிருந்தார். இதெல்லாம் எதற்கு என்று அவரிடம் நான் சொன்னேன். எல்லாம் உங்கள் மீது கொண்ட அன்பினால்தான் என்றார். அதிலும் புலமைப்பித்தன் ரொம்ப அற்புதமாக பாடல்களை எழுதியிருந்தார். “உன்னால் முடியும் தம்பி, தம்பி; உனக்குள் இருக்கும் உன்னை நம்பி…” என்று. நமக்குள் இருக்கும் ஆற்றலை நாம் உணர வேண்டும். அதுதான் முக்கியம். நம் இதயத்துள் கடவுள் இருக்கிறார். அவரைப் பார்க்க முடியும், பேச முடியும், உணர முடியும். அவர் நம்முள் இருப்பதை நாம் உணர வேண்டும். அந்தக் காலத்தில் அதற்கான பயிற்சி முறைகள், வேதம், தியானம் என்று எல்லாம் இருந்தது. அதையெல்லாம் உணராமல், சும்மா உன்னால் முடியும், முடியும் என்று சொல்லிக் கொண்டிருப்பதால் ஒன்றும் பயனில்லை. ராமகிருஷ்ண மடத்துக்கு எதிரே “அண்ணா” என்று ஒருவர் இருந்தார். மிகுந்த கெட்டிக்காரர். புத்திசாலி. தமிழ், சம்ஸ்கிருத இரண்டிலும் பெரிய புலமை மிக்கவர். எதுகுறித்துக் கேட்டாலும் விளக்கம் சொல்லும் அளவுக்கு திறமைசாலி. அவரது நூல்களையெல்லாம் வாங்கிப் படித்தால் பலவிஷயங்களை நாம் தெரிந்து கொள்ளலாம் என்று புலமைப்பித்தனிடம் சொன்னேன். ´

--end of quote--

The interview's conclusion talks about age showing up in Dr MSU's case, those who are close to him (or close to the "makkaL sakthi iyakkam") may know about the current status (I could not find out by googling, his wiki page is in "deleted" state...)

I think it is the wish of every TN-er that people in power in the central gov of India take up 'nadhi neer iNaippu' seriously...

V_S
26th January 2012, 12:56 AM
App,
Excellent songs in Paadum Paravaigal and Unnaal mudiyum Thambi. However, I too could not associate UMT as a remake at the time of release.
First reason, it was by KB and I don't think he has done 'remakes', from his own films, has he?. Also, I think he never did remakes from other directors films too, right?
Another reason is, we knew it was based on a real story of Dr MSU who is a tamilian. So we were damn sure, it was an original thamizh film. Only when Rudraveena got the NA award, we believed it was true. I have not watched Rudraveena, so not sure how the story fitted to their mileu and also were wondering whose real story KB took to do this film in telugu?

Just like Yesudas was way better in 'Thoongaatha Vizhigal Rendu' compared to SPB in Gharshana, here SPB sounded better compared to Yesudas in 'Idhazil Kathai Ezhudhum' (IMHO). :wink:

app_engine
26th January 2012, 01:24 AM
First reason, it was by KB and I don't think he has done 'remakes', from his own films, has he?. Also, I think he never did remakes from other directors films too, right?

Here is KB's Filmography (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kailasam_Balachander_filmography). I too don't think he did many remakes "into" Thamizh...UMT too may not be a 100% remake of rudraveeNA but Plum / Sureshji may know better.

BTW, Ek tujE kE liyE was a remake of marO charithrA I think. (And marO charithrA had some scenes from moonRu mudichchu I think). So, KB's case may be like the case of IR (porting of some songs here and there across languages but often modifying / fitting into the local mileau)...

jaiganes
26th January 2012, 01:30 AM
KB remade "chilakamma cheppindi" into "Nizhal Nijamaagiradhu".
His production house has remade a lot of amitabh movies for rajini..

V_S
26th January 2012, 02:17 AM
App & Jai,
So, KB remade only three films in his whole list of films as a director? I remember Ek Tujhe KE LiyE, but good info on Nizhal Nijamaagirathu, I didn't know about it. Thanks. Also, if it is not a scene-to-scene remake, then it make sense and it cannot be atleast for UMT.

genesis
26th January 2012, 05:07 AM
App & Jai,
So, KB remade only three films in his whole list of films as a director? I remember Ek Tujhe KE LiyE, but good info on Nizhal Nijamaagirathu, I didn't know about it. Thanks. Also, if it is not a scene-to-scene remake, then it make sense and it cannot be atleast for UMT.

Ek Tujhe Ke Liye does not qualify to be on the list becaue it was remake of his own Maro Charithra. But I did notice another remake in the list..Thillu Mullu remake of Golmaal... (Even though the Tamil version is good, Hrishikesh Mukherjee version is close to my heart).

Nizhal Nijamaagirathu is another favourite of mine. I did not know it is a Telugu remake and Rajini did the lead role in Telugu. I wish Rajini did the Tamil version also.

I think UMT 80% remake and 20% original. IIRC, I read is Kumudam/AV in those days, the climax in UMT was Kamal's idea/insistence. Generally Socialist/Communist theme movies did not do well in TN, as they did in AP. (I do not think anyone is making them any more).

venkkiram
26th January 2012, 07:31 AM
போறபோக்கப் பார்த்தால் இன்னும் பத்து இருபது வருடங்கள் கழித்து சந்திரமுகி ஆப்தமித்ரா-விலிருந்து ரீமேக் செய்யப்பட்டதுன்னு சொல்லப் போறான் விக்கி!

கே.எஸ்.சேதுமாதவனின் "Adimakal" என்ற மலையாளப் படமே தமிழில் நிழல் நிஜமாகியது.

பார்க்க டைட்டில் @0.41-0.45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7iXlXxkWUw

V_S
26th January 2012, 09:04 AM
Thanks genesis for reminding me Thillu mullu. venkki that was a good catch on Nizhal nizamaagiradhu. Thanks. Coming to the original discussion, I was having doubt regarding KB's remake of his own films, as UMT story line was based on a person who lives in TN. Curious to know how did he first carryout this in Telugu? When Rudraveena was made, did he have Dr. Udhayamoorthy in his mind? or while remaking in Thamizh, he changed the script? Also it seems the climax in UMT is not there in telugu? Because Ek Tujhe KE LiyE storyline is love, not about any real person, so changing the location or actors with the same story line can be appreciated and accepted overall. But here, it is non-trivial, that's why my doubt.

groucho070
26th January 2012, 09:35 AM
V_S,
1. this is late, but that was a superb writeup. Kalakittingga.
2. Same questions about Rudraveena.

app, can you do one thing, please pat your own back on my behalf. Carefully, don't twist your arm.

app_engine
26th January 2012, 09:40 AM
V_S,

I don't think UMT storyline has any direct relevance to the "life-history" of Dr MSU.

It's basically the tussle between a dad & son in a musical family, IMO. (And the son's interest with a girl of different social status / family of different social ideas etc).

I'm not sure whether all of MSU's major philosophies got featured in Telugu (in the above setup). OTOH, UMT had them placed inside - motivational 'unnAl mudiyum' & pasumai to be specific. (I'm not very sure whether MSU is known for being vocal about "social equality" stuff, which gets more weightage in the movie, than "motivation / pasumai" stuff).

app_engine
26th January 2012, 09:42 AM
nanRi, groucho:-)

Was feeling a little bit low today (nothing serious)...unga thattikkoduththal is a great tonic :-)

raagadevan
26th January 2012, 11:06 AM
App & Jai,

K. Balachander's PUNNAGAI (1971) was a remake of Hrishikesh Mukherjee's Hindi fim SATYAKAM (1969).

VARUMAIYIN NIRAM SIVAPPU was remade by KB as ZARA SI ZINADI

APROORVA RAAGANGAL was remade as EK NAYI PAHELI

Sureshs65
26th January 2012, 01:22 PM
Well, almost every movie that KB did in late 70s / early 80s has a Telugu counterpart. You can't call it a remake really because I think they shot the movie simultaneously!!! You will generally have the hero / heroine the same but many character actors would differ. 'avargal' is such an example. There were many of his other films which got dubbed directly in Telugu.

Plum
26th January 2012, 05:06 PM
Anthuleni Katha - Aval oru thodargadhai; Aaina - Arangetram: Ek nai paheli - Apoorva Raagangal; Zara Si Zindagi - Varumayin NiRam; and then punnagai, neerkumizhi(remake of Hrishida movie again); ippadi palappala. Besides, the kudigaarargaLai thiruthum episode in Rudra Veena is from now-famous Anna Hazare's life. Model village iLaignan also Hazare inspiration. Hazare was potti seidhi in 16th page then. Today he is 24/7 news channel staple.

V_S
26th January 2012, 09:32 PM
Thank you grouch for your compliments :D

App, Yes, UMT story was not based on Dr. UM's personal life, atleast, as you said it was based on his social ideas and they showcased few clean villages as his contribution. I was only asking how KB did this in telugu with who's name or ideas, or it was just a fictional character in telugu? Plum confirmed it now.

Thanks guys, it seems quite a lot of of his own films got remade in other languages. That clears my doubt on remakes.

app_engine
27th January 2012, 12:44 AM
#271 அக்கம் பக்கம் பாருடா சின்ன ராசா
(உன்னால் முடியும் தம்பி, 1988 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3809'&lang=en)

KB's early 80's movies had some strong political-commentary themes (compared to his family dramas that occasionally had some spicy social commentary stuff in the prior decades). It probably started with VNS that talked strongly about the problem of unemployment followed by thaNNeer thaNNeer based on Komal Swaminathan's play which had hard-hitting political commentary. achchamillai achchamillai , another "politics" movie, too happened during this time period. Ofcourse, he had his "women's lib" social commentary all along (regardless of whether the movie theme was politics or otherwise).

UMT was possibly the most balanced combo of politics, social commentary, love & music - though it wasn't as successful as his other movies, despite having Kamal on screen. This 'akkam pakkam' song is the politics part while stressing the overall theme of individual responsibility and encouraging like 'you got to do what you got to do'...

Short song, sounding somewhat similar to 'buththam saraNam kachchAmi' in the construction (variety thy name is IR) and had decent air time. Not possibly on the individual merit of the song, IMO, it must be due to "being part of an album that had some superb numbers".

In any case, qualifies for the compilation. I cannot recall where it occurs in the movie (if at all it got picturized).

With 'samayal pAdamE' covered before under maNippur mAmiyAr (SPS replaced with KSC), it is curtains for the SPB-IR combo songs of UMT!

V_S
27th January 2012, 07:48 AM
App,
Very nicely analysed KB's style of social films and greatly concluded about the balance in UMT, Excellent :clap: Yes, my favorite KB films of 80's are thanneer thanneer and achchamillai achchamillai. I love saritha's acting!.

PARAMASHIVAN
27th January 2012, 04:00 PM
Folks

There was a film in early 90's called "thirumathi Palanisamy" , *ring Sathyraj and Suganya, it had few nice songs, was the MD for this movie IR or Deva :roll:

app_engine
27th January 2012, 04:36 PM
nanRi, V_Sji for the kind words!

There was a film in early 90's called "thirumathi Palanisamy" , *ring Sathyraj and Suganya, it had few nice songs, was the MD for this movie IR or Deva

rAsA music :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
27th January 2012, 04:58 PM
nanRi, V_Sji for the kind words!

rAsA music :-) Oh thanks, eagerly waiting for your write up of the song "Othamal oru naalum iruka vendam" from this movie :)

app_engine
27th January 2012, 08:36 PM
#272 வாசலிலே பூசணிப்பூ வச்சுப்புட்டா வச்சுப்புட்டா
(செண்பகமே செண்பகமே , 1988 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3267'&lang=en)

I think this is the first song we feature in this collection where SPB sang for Ramarajan. So, let's welcome makkaL nAyakan aka pasu nEsan (http://www.tamilpaper.net/?p=5236#comments) to the thread! (The previous hit albums had other singers; enga ooru pAttukkAran was perhaps the first big hit music album of IR-Ramarajan combo and it featured mainly Mano...there was no SPB in grAmaththu minnal or enga ooru kAvakkAran).

Very colorful celebrity (not just based on his shirt colors but his "Hollywood style marriage-divorce", indulgence in politics etc apart from his "once-upon-a-time-ability" to get people to watch "colorful" nAdan movies...looks like he is a "puli pasiththAlum pullaiththinnAdhu" category; i.e. didn't switch to character artist role to ensure money-flow but still trying to release movies as a hero it seems...did his 'mEdhai' release for this pongal?). Well, regardless of his otherwise career, what interests us most is his association with IR as MD that enriched TFM so much! I would even go to the extent of saying that IR had created a new genre in TFM during his association with this grAmaththu hero!

This song is a quintessential example of such genre - the "IR-TFM-folk-Ver.2" genre as I would like to call - which is distinctly different from what he did during his initial days (read annakkiLi / chittukkuruvi) and during his association with BR. These are not complex in orchestration or construction like the machchAna / sendhoorappoovE kinds, IMHO. Typically these IR-TFM-folk-V2 songs have simple construction : signature tabla-bass-chords background, prelude / interludes using plenty of flute, sweettO sweet folk melodies and vocals given upperhand to orchestration! Also, while the lyrics weren't earth-shattering, they were down-to-earth and not boring or irritating. Take the case of this 'vAsalilE poosaNippoo' pallavi - it instantly brings to mind the village or small-town street scene where girls decorate the kOlam with poosaNippoo while also decorating the streets with their own presence (hA, all that morning freshness) :-)

I think that kind of "being-part-and-parcel-of-daily-life-of-ordinary-TN-public" was behind the success of such movies. While the movies, scenes, performances of other artists can be simplified that way for Ramarajan movies, the same cannot be said about rAsA music. They were definitely out-of-ordinary! In the sense that regardless of how a typical HCIRF views them as simple, they were above a minimum level that cannot be reached by other MDs. Neither were they "catchy for the time but disappear in a while" kinds. I can enjoy these for a lifetime! (Recently 'rAsAththi manasula' was on repeat on my car for many days and I have a plan to start a PS thread in IR forum to post one song per week, with the posts entirely in Thamizh).

Under those considerations, poosaNippoo is a landmark song for the SPB-IR-SJ combo as it can be considered the first for the combo in this "genre" :-)

On a personal note, I didn't notice this song during 80's at all. During mid-90's, during a bus travel from Madurai to V'nagar was the first time I heard this song - after hours of attack on my ears with what I call 'nArAsam'...Oh, what a refreshing change this song proved to be to me on that day!

app_engine
27th January 2012, 09:00 PM
dig

looks like (padiththa) 'mEdhai' got released (http://philosophyprabhakaran.blogspot.com/2012/01/blog-post_17.html)

end-dig

:lol2:

PARAMASHIVAN
27th January 2012, 09:05 PM
makkaL nAyakan aka pasu nEsan

:rotfl: :rotfl:

venkkiram
27th January 2012, 09:25 PM
செண்பகமே செண்பகமே திரைப்படம் எங்க ஊருக்கு அருகேயுள்ள ஒரு திரையரங்கில் 42 நாட்கள் தொடர்ச்சியாக ஓடி சாதனை புரிந்தது. எங்க வீட்டிலிருந்து மாட்டு வண்டியில் குடும்பமாக புறப்பட்டு இரண்டாவது ஆட்டத்திற்கு சென்றோம். இனிமையான காலங்கள். ராமராஜன், ரேகா, விஸ்வம், கவுண்டமணி, செந்தில், ராஜாவின் முத்தான பாடல்கள். வாசலிலே பூசணிப்பூ: பாடல் என்ற தனிப்பட்ட முறையிலாகட்டும், திரைப்படக் காட்சிகளாட்டும் என்றும் மனதில் நிற்கக்கூடியது. பாலு - ஜானகி கூட்டணியில் சிறந்த பத்து என்றாலும் அதிலொன்றாக இடம்பெறும்.

genesis
27th January 2012, 09:40 PM
his association with IR as MD that enriched TFM so much!

I do not have any choice but to register my strongest objections to this sentence.... IMHO, IR's association with Ramarajan (also Raj Kiran, Kasthuri Raja) was the worst thing to happen ever for TFM and IR.

PARAMASHIVAN
27th January 2012, 09:45 PM
Raama rasan survived only because of IR!

app_engine
27th January 2012, 09:52 PM
IMHO, IR's association with Ramarajan (also Raj Kiran, Kasthuri Raja) was the worst thing to happen ever for TFM and IR.

அது ஒரு கருத்து (read like gunA cassette Kamal) :-)

From my music listening POV, I can enjoy the whole 'rAsAththi manasila' on repeat for days nowadays.

OTOH, my hand reaches out involuntarily for the 'skip' button immediately after the prelude for 'rAkkammA kaiyaththattu'.

The rAsAththi genre has longer lasting power than rAkkammA genre, IMHO...

PARAMASHIVAN
27th January 2012, 09:57 PM
'rAsAththi manasila'

ithu namma Thilagam paadinathila :lol2:
arumaiyana paadal highly suthapified by thilagam!

venkkiram
27th January 2012, 10:06 PM
I do not have any choice but to register my strongest objections to this sentence.... IMHO, IR's association with Ramarajan (also Raj Kiran, Kasthuri Raja) was the worst thing to happen ever for TFM and IR.

-1. எப்படி உங்களை தண்டிப்பது? வாசலிலே பூசணிப்பூ திரைப்படப் பாடலை நூறு முறை கண்டுகளியுங்கள் !!

genesis
27th January 2012, 10:14 PM

அது ஒரு கருத்து (read like gunA cassette Kamal) :-)

From my music listening POV, I can enjoy the whole 'rAsAththi manasila' on repeat for days nowadays.

OTOH, my hand reaches out involuntarily for the 'skip' button immediately after the prelude for 'rAkkammA kaiyaththattu'.

The rAsAththi genre has longer lasting power than rAkkammA genre, IMHO...

app - It is unfair to pass judgement just using one song. ( watching too much presidential debate?!!) Yes, there were great songs from some Ramarajan movies (EOP, Karagattakkaran etc), the overall result was IR's TFM output quality was deteriorating.

Thinking aloud, the success of "urban" ARR was to some extend a revolt against this "village" trend.

jaiganes
27th January 2012, 10:37 PM
Vaasalile poosanip poo - my late grand mother's favourite song. Very catchy and ramarajan of those days had lesser powder lipstick on his face compared to
what we saw later and therefore even the video was nice to watch.

venkkiram
27th January 2012, 10:39 PM
Thinking aloud, the success of "urban" ARR was to some extend an revolt against this "village" trend.
IR worked in Ramarajan movies from 1986 to 93. During those period and also post 93, IR continuously involved in rural/urban based films featuring Satyaraj, Vijayakanth, Murali, Karthik, Prabu, Pandiyarajan, Kamal, Rajini..etc. Post 93, big and notable projects did not go often to IR. Thats how, IR's stamp was slowly fading out.

PARAMASHIVAN
27th January 2012, 10:40 PM
Vaasalile poosanip poo - my late grand mother's favourite song. Very catchy and ramarajan of those days had lesser powder lipstick on his face compared to
what we saw later and therefore even the video was nice to watch.

:shock: :shock: :yessir:

jaiganes
27th January 2012, 10:42 PM
Quite a slow long fading out this - i must say.. his detractors must be wondering why doesnt he go kapupt just like that..

app_engine
27th January 2012, 11:01 PM
That's an interesting analysis, genesis :-)

i.e.

1. IR was working with Ramarajan / Raj Kiran / Kasthuri Raja kind of guys, driving the urban TN-ers crazy who craved for better music
2. This contributed to ARR capturing the urban TN-ers and IR's fall
3. This whole phenomenon being the worst thing to happen to TFM

:wink:

(BTW, needless to say I mostly agree on 2 & 3 ; it does not matter if I agree on 1 or not. We both agree on majority of items :lol2:)

wizzy
27th January 2012, 11:16 PM
my 2¢..credit to Swamigal to churn out gems inspite of the talents he had to contend with..on bbc tamil interview still remember him chiding the musical sensibilities of directors in TFM when asked about Thendral Vandhu Theendum Podhu from Avatharam..no offense to Nassar what possibly he would have said of the song situation/placement which could have triggered him to come up with this gem. So the end result did justify the means with respect to working with supposedly lesser talents.

genesis
27th January 2012, 11:43 PM
1. IR was working with Ramarajan / Raj Kiran / Kasthuri Raja kind of guys, driving the urban TN-ers crazy who craved for better music
2. This contributed to ARR capturing the urban TN-ers and IR's fall
3. This whole phenomenon being the worst thing to happen to TFM

[/i]

Just like I said, you have become very good debater even though there is not much logic.

inspite of the talents he had to contend with..

That was his choice. But OTOH, he has given us amazing music working with even lesser talents in the early 80s.

rajkumarc
28th January 2012, 03:05 AM
Vaasalile Poosanipoo is a wonderful song. IR-folk version2 has its own charm. I would take that any day over any other folk music composed by other MDs during the same time period. Keep them coming App, looking forward to more such numbers from 90s as well.

al_gates
28th January 2012, 03:34 AM
I have a plan to start a PS thread in IR forum to post one song per week, with the posts entirely in Thamizh.

Why not English Saar?

'This is a page for TAMIL music' nu yaarum solla vendaam. Tamil-la weak-a irunthaalum some of us come here because we still love to hear tamil music :smile2:

baroque
29th January 2012, 02:10 AM
Originally Posted by app_engine http://www.mayyam.com/talk/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?p=807095#post807095) I have a plan to start a PS thread in IR forum to post one song per week, with the posts entirely in Thamizh.

only solos or duets?

sometimes I am in the mood for only ladies or only boys:) when we hike or sit in front of the ocean -highway 1 - pacific coast trips etc.. nalla erukkum.

I am thinking of P.Susheela's solos with different composers one by one too.

I have collections of Lata with Madhan mohan, Lata with C.Ramachandra,

Lata with Khaiyyam, Lata with Salilda, Lata with S.D.Burman etc... like that,

Asha, Janu, Geeta dutt etc... They all have some good collections.

but P.Susheela, you don't see collections like that in the market.

என்றும் இனியவை, sad songs of சுஷீலா, அப்படின்னு few collections தான் பாக்கலாம் in the மார்க்கெட்.

anyway....good idea, app_eng!

IR-Susheela pair has given some eternal beauties like

sugamo aayiram....,thenil aadum rojaa..., poong kaaviyam.....etc..

ஒரே இடம் நிரந்தரம் இதோ உன் துணை இதோ என் இசை...... Super solos of Susheela!

We love our GREAT LADIES!

Lata, Susheela, Janu, Asha, Vani, L.R.E, Geeta Dutt etc.. You are all wonderful!:thumbsup:

vinatha:)

app_engine
29th January 2012, 04:06 AM
baroque,
It's not a compiling kind of exercise (like "IR-PS all hits"...no no)...it's simply certain songs that I feel close to :-) Both duets & solos...

al_gates,
Let's see...it'll be a while before that will get started...

vAsalilE poosaNippoo youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1m-E3-xR4I

baroque
29th January 2012, 05:44 AM
oh...duets too.

definitely, showcase your choices of dear ones ... we enjoy your picks.

ஏ.....தென்றலே இனி நாளும் பாடவா....:)

vinatha.

app_engine
30th January 2012, 04:36 AM
#273 என்னுயிரே வா
(பூந்தோட்டக்காவல்காரன், 1988 , சித்ராவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2824'&lang=en)

http://static.flickr.com/118/261513753_a12e410562.jpg

bAdAm halvA (http://saffronhut.blogspot.com/2006/10/good-nut-almondbadam-halva.html)comes to mind and mouth waters when I think of / hear this song! Especially the singing of KSC in the prelude! If a person says he/she does not like the start of the song or the drums that gloriously end the saraNam, I'll conclude without any diagnosis that the person is deaf!

KSC owns this song and aNNan SPB mostly plays a supporting role in this number. So is the orchestration, with the exception of drums that scintillates! What a sweet singing by the chinnakkuyil! I wish I have the patience to learn & do music editing so that I can have the start of this song as my personal "ring tone" on the phone:-) Well, I'm so glad that KSC still has the same precision & sweetness if one goes by the recent Chennai concert of rAsA.

This song arrived when >90% of film songs that I was listening with fondness had KSC! No wonder this was on a couple of cassettes and had been frequently playing on my walkman. Interestingly, however, the Palakkadan thing that comes to mind w.r.t. this song is the barber shop on the road from Sultanpet to Fort maidAn :oops: Well, there were quite a few on that road and I was not loyal to any one of them. There was one shop that worked even on Tuesdays (which were holidays for saloons in general) where I landed on some Tuesdays. Then there was another that used electric machines (and finished the job in < 10 min, that is before I dozed off) where I went when in a hurry. However, the most visited one was the slow fellow that had a nice music system and played film songs, including the TF ones. Whenever he played TF songs, they invariably were rAsA's and there's no wonder it was my preferred destination.

It was in that shop that I've heard this song for the first time, the song from a Vijayakanth hit movie :-)

groucho070
30th January 2012, 08:32 AM
So, let's welcome makkaL nAyakan aka pasu nEsan (http://www.tamilpaper.net/?p=5236#comments)Read the story and the comments. I was expecting remarks similar to VTR and son, but didn't expect the sympathy. Really felt bad myself. But then, he had his shot, should have made the most when he was at his peak and reinvented himself somehow. When dancing legs and six-packs are ruling the day, I think of actors like him, decent, never stepping out of the boundary and colourful too....

A_S
30th January 2012, 10:58 AM
App,
There is another SPB solo hit song “Manjapodi Thekkaiyele” (http://www.raaga.com/play/?id=266114) in Sh Sh. Please consider including this song as well in this IR-SPB hit songs list. Have heard a telugu version of this song (guess in a Chiru starrer).

San_K
30th January 2012, 11:36 AM
Yes Yes I too recommend Manjapodi song which is my fav and certainly good song

Sureshs65
30th January 2012, 03:24 PM
Yes. 'manja podi' song is a remake of the Telugu song, 'maatarani mounamidhi'

raajarasigan
30th January 2012, 03:31 PM
என்னுயிரே வா (பூந்தோட்டக்காவல்காரன், 1988 , சித்ராவுடன்)one of my most favourite :D

app, nice write up... drums is so soothing to listen in this song...

app_engine
30th January 2012, 07:23 PM
When dancing legs and six-packs are ruling the day, I think of actors like him, decent, never stepping out of the boundary and colourful too....

groucho,
Me from his area in TN, so can certify for the "authentic portrayal" of a grAmaththAn of Madurai district in most cases (despite his awful costume / make-up). In fact, he looks like one of my cousins and that's another reason to like him (besides his association with rAsA)...

makkaLE,
I'll listen to the other song from Sh.Sh & post it if I've heard it before.

If not, we can always discuss later on, among those "songs-left-out-by-the-ignorant-app_engine" :-)

app_engine
30th January 2012, 07:27 PM
nanRi raajarasigan, for the kind words!

The song had been playing in my mind all-thru the weekend and I'm still under the "nostalgia-weather" :-)

Plum
30th January 2012, 10:03 PM
App one request. Do mention the song name in roman letters for tamillitarates(atleast in hub) like me. Enna paattunnu guess pandradhukke paadhi time pogudhu sila samayam. For instance, still not figured out yor nostalgic captain song from 1988

V_S
30th January 2012, 10:24 PM
App,
Very nice write-up on 'Ennuyire Vaa' with that apt mouth-watering rasagulla. :D Excellent song, yes it is Chitra's song. Somehow I only get sivakumar in my mind for this song. May be IlanchOlai hangover.

Also not to forget about 'VaasalilE Poosanippo'. I could not believe because of these songs, IR market went down and TFM music deteriorated (abachaaram to the core). Anway I least care about it, as we are still listening these soulful folk composition even today after 20 years with same amount of interest. That's the power of Maestro. Even if I agree to some extent that his market went down, he is still there for us with same enthusiasm even after 20 years enthralling us like as always, which is more important. If his market went down, he would not be still in the music scene.

app_engine
30th January 2012, 10:40 PM
App one request. Do mention the song name in roman letters for tamillitarates(atleast in hub) like me. Enna paattunnu guess pandradhukke paadhi time pogudhu sila samayam. For instance, still not figured out yor nostalgic captain song from 1988

Sorry about that, I'll take care from next post :oops:

The song is 'ennuyirE vA' from poonthOttakkAvalkAran :-)

V_Sji,
nanRi!
I'm with you on the evergreen nature of rAsA songs and I no longer care about his market status, as long as he's doing music :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
30th January 2012, 10:48 PM
App anna.

Excellent writeup :clap:

There was film called Puthu nellu puthu naathu right? wasn't the lovely song "poo poo poo pootha solai" from?

BTW what does nathu mean :roll:

app_engine
30th January 2012, 11:27 PM
There was film called Puthu nellu puthu naathu right? wasn't the lovely song "poo poo poo pootha solai" from?

BTW what does nathu mean :roll:

Yes, that is a 1990 movie, by Bharathiraja.

'nAththu' means seedling / sapling (very young plants that come out of seeds that are sown closely together ; these need to be plucked out and replanted in the regular paddy field with gaps to become full-grown)...

Picture here :
http://www.indiawaterportal.org/sites/indiawaterportal.org/files/Paddy%20Seedlings.jpg

app_engine
30th January 2012, 11:29 PM
BTW, 'nAththu' is kochchaiththamizh...written word is 'nARRu' (நாற்று) :-)

app_engine
31st January 2012, 12:31 AM
#274 பாடாத தெம்மாங்கு நான் பாட வந்தேனே
(பூந்தோட்டக்காவல்காரன் , 1988 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2827'&lang=en)

pAdAtha themmAngu nAn pAda vandhEnE, solo from poonthOttakkAvalkAran

A very simple song - no grandiose orchestration or earth-shattering melody. Simple catchy tune, SPB's emotional singing, nice support by flute and some country drums. The song was moderately popular and I've heard on the bus on many occasions. Never hunted it / recorded it etc. The song got only #4 rating within this album at the time of arrival. ennuyirE vA was first, adi gAnakkarunguyilE second, sindhiya veNmaNi third...pArAmal pArththa nenjam-jam jajam-jam-jam was tied for the 4th spot, because of KSC...the rating is pretty much unchanged even today...not a mega album by rAsA standards but siRu thuLi peru veLLam, since all such hits contributed to his mega status, these were happily taken by us:-)

I'm not sure whether this movie came around that time or not - but I'm reminded of a major incident in life now...that happened sometime toward the end of 1988. I had my first taste of alcohol and it was a :shock: to my collegemate-colleague, with whom I shared the 'soup-ghOshti' status for almost 3 years. I'm not sure what prompted me - it was a bachelor's party in the lawn at the then #1 hotel / restaurant of the town - Indraprastha (where I've often come across Malayalam film stars in the lobby...not M & M but considerably popular ones like Innocent). When everyone expected me to order the usual tomato soup / orange juice / limca kind, I casually said "whisky" large! From the menu card, I browsed and picked some name - Peterscot, I liked the name - and added limca to it and downed without any sipping business :lol: And then had another in the same style, much to the shock / thrill of those around the long table.

Well, nothing big happened - except some loss of sense on the forehead; after the food, I walked to the room (less than a KM from the restaurant) where the roommate was on tour and blasted from the music system. Thus started my occasional indulgence of the item that gives one a man's status inside Kerala. ("ANAnengil veLLam adichchirukkaNam" it seems :lol: )

app_engine
31st January 2012, 12:35 AM
Another song is due, for today and it will be from Sh.Sh (I've listened to it from thiraippAdal, and, yes, it's a lovely number) :-)

app_engine
31st January 2012, 12:56 AM
#275 மஞ்சப்பொடி தேய்க்கையிலே
(செண்பகமே செண்பகமே , 1988) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3264'&lang=en)

manjappodi thEykkaiyilE, the solo that I missed, from the film "sheNbagamE sheNbagamE" - thank you A_S, San_K & Sureshji for catching this miss!

Yes, lovely song sung in a somewhat different style by SPB (thiraippAdal lists the singer name incorrectly) and beautiful tablA accompaniments. Song in the IR-TFM-Folk-V2 genre (let's give an abbreviation for this, what about IRTFv2 ?). Along with the primary companion instrument, flute, this song also has some kuRumbu solo violin in the interlude. Possibly there is some kuRumbu going on in the visuals and the song lines too are a little bit suggestive...Interestingly, it talks about 'manjappodi' which I'm not very sure whether used for 'thEykka' in villages. At least until the early 80's, it was manjaL kizhangu only that got 'urasified' on ammi or similar soRa-soRa stone, to make a paste which'll be used in bath by women. Possibly they switched to podi in the late-80's. Effect of technology!

We've already got the information from Sureshji that there's a Telugu equivalent of this melody / song. It would be interesting to listen to how rAsA would have ornamented this puccA south TN folk number to sound homely at north of poovirundha valli. Magician without question! After watching the youtube for poosaNippoo (likeable picturisation IMO), I'm also curious to know how is the picturization for this number. Will search for the youtube this evening (and post here if it's worthy).

I can't even recall when I first heard this number - but I'm very sure of hearing it many times on buses & some functions. Must have been reasonably popular in south TN - though I'm not sure about its reach north of Pazhani...

baroque
31st January 2012, 03:19 AM
பூந்தோட்டக் காவல்காரன்

mmm...

நீங்களும் ஹல்வா visual treat கொடுத்து இருக்கீங்களா along with ஸ்வீட் சித்ரா's composition .:musicsmile:

நான் நேத்திக்கு அசோகா ஹல்வா prepare செய்தேன் for my family for snack .

At my grand town of Tanjore, we prepare some native dishes that are delicious.
தஞ்சாவூர் அசோகா, சுருள் போளி, தஞ்சாவூர் அப்பம் , இட்லி's side dishes கடப்பா, கொத்சு, breakfast தவள அடை etc...are popular.
தஞ்சாவூர் அசோகா ஸ்வீட் கல்யாணங்களில் போடுவாங்க.

red colour ley warm and beautiful sweet.:slurp: we relish it.

anyway....

I think bgm chorus humming/flute/violin of the lilting, jumpy tune - Mano-Chithra duet PAARAAMAL PAARTHTHA NENJAM.......,
hubby pampering pregnant wife SINDHIYA VENMANI.... stole my attention.

Raja surprised us by giving a kuththu pattu to Shri.Yesudas.

With this album, Mano and Yesudas stole the spotlight from SPB.

Vinatha.

V_S
31st January 2012, 07:01 AM
App,
Very nice and soothing song, paadaatha themmaangu, with your interesting bachelor party and a malayalam punch line. :smile:

PARAMASHIVAN
31st January 2012, 03:14 PM
BTW, 'nAththu' is kochchaiththamizh...written word is 'nARRu' (நாற்று) :-)

Many thanks for the detailed explanation :)

app_engine
31st January 2012, 06:15 PM
nanRi baroque & V_Sji!

with your interesting bachelor party

Interestingly, his would-be was from my birthplace & so the marriage was there :-)

Another reason for an interesting bus-journey filled with songs and visit to the chithi's home & in turn some chithappA's recording center indulgences :-)

Life's eththanai eththanai kochu kochu santhOshangaL!

app_engine
31st January 2012, 11:10 PM
#276 கண்டு புடிச்சேன் கண்டு புடிச்சேன்
(குரு சிஷ்யன், 1988 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0980'&lang=en)

kaNdupudichchEn kaNdupudichchEn of Guru Shishyan.

Song tailor-made for SPB's kuRumboos & kuzhaivoos and he simply excels with his modulations! rAsA too in jolly mood with his concoction of shenoy / guitar / flute / tabla to create the total fun mood. Lyricist didn't have much work to do but fill-in with mAnE thEnE words and it was cake-walk for the jAmbavAns Rajinikanth & Prabhu to enjoy on the screen to thrill the audience. Full of kuRumbu / ELanam and what not! I remember thoroughly enjoying this song in the useless New (Devidurga) theater in Palakkad when the movie arrived. Not a great film but provided enough fun, some laughter and light-hearted moments. Only worthy song, IMHO...though there were a few other songs that became very popular as well, because of the Rajini factor.

Was the first movie for Gautami, who happened to be a collegemate of one of my former teammates (who unfortunately died recently and was my facebook contact, because of him Gautami's facebook name used to pop up every now and then, telling, "one common friend"). I don't think she finished her engg, possibly discontinued due to the movie chance to act with Rajinikanth. Unquestionably beautiful and talented actress! (Supposedly brainy as well, to the extent of giving intellectual companionship to Kamal!)

Well, this song is about friends / friendship and I'm talking about girlie...let me switch to the friends topic :-) With that, let me also give some "historical background" about the travails of TN-youngsters in late-80's, with respect to owning / riding a motorcycle!

It's pretty plain from my posts in this thread that an engineer with middle-class background from TN (me the average sample) had to go to work in "bus" (often footboard) and not have a 2 or 4 wheeler during 80's! This may be shocking (for some youngsters) to read! However, that had to be understood in the context.

Until the arrival of "Ind-Suzuki 100cc" bikes in 1984-85, the auto scene in India was dismal. All unreliable bullet / jAwA / rAjdhoothan bikes that were too-heavy, problem filled, gas-drunkards and few produced in numbers...Or scooters that were fit only to carry milk-cans (Lambretta). bajaj had scooters too but they looked like the "3idiots chairs" (and run worse than idiots) but sold at a premium and had to be booked, wait for years or buy with US$ :shock:

Well, it was great when Hero Honda 4 stroke bikes arrived around the time I started my first job ("Fill it - shut it - forget it", claiming > 70 kmpl) and there was years of waiting after booking one. On top of such limited availability, the agencies were only in big-cities (Palakkad was not one). So, among the 100 or so of engineers in my workplace, only 10 or so had motorcycles until 1988 (there was not even a parking lot, these stood on the panchayat road in sun and rain). Since the personnel department (see, it was not "HR" then) disallowed officEzhs coming in ordinary cycles, we had to either walk or bus.

I didn't want to ride a 50cc moped like my dad so decided to wait until I get a 100cc. Then there was this "financing" problem. First two years we were "trainee engineers" with stipend and not salary so no one would give us that Rs 17000 loan :-( So, I had been bussing for 3.5 years. Now, where do "friends" come in this story?

Well, bussing doesn't mean not learning to ride a 100cc :-) One of my buddies had a Hero Honda and was a nice guy to let others try it and most engineers in that workplace learnt to ride a bike using his! I still remember him with gratitude as it was unusual for people who had that prized possession to let others ride (my mostly-travelling-room-mate an ejjAmple, he'll leave his Hero Honda locked in another friend's home when away, never let me or others try it, though we went to the same workplace)!

Well, that nice friend set such a good example that when I eventually had mine (not HH - couldn't wait - but KB 100 in 1989), that became another 'trainer vaNdi' :-)

Friend should be one when in need!

PARAMASHIVAN
31st January 2012, 11:17 PM
Nice write up app anna :)

I guess the next song would be intoxicatingly romantic "vaa vaa vanchi ila maanE" SPB excells in high octaves in this song, but some how IMHO I felt KSC went a bit squeeky here :oops: just like in the song "Anjali Anjali Pushpanjali" :oops:

rajkumarc
1st February 2012, 02:18 AM
App - you have a great sense of humor. The way you described the Two-wheeler market in India during the 80s made me :lol:

V_S
1st February 2012, 06:10 AM
App,
Very nice reminiscence of two-wheeler stories. :smile: In fact, I drove two wheeler (yamaha rx100) only to get license, never owned one nor drove one on road much.:smile: Always bus, train or my lovable bicycle, my best friend during my bachelor days.
Guru Sishyan had another beautiful song, Maane Vanji ILa Maane right? I love that song.

baroque
1st February 2012, 06:42 AM
nostalgic two wheeler kahani, app_eng!
:-D

I am one of those million Indian ladies enjoyed
Kinetic Honda premium scooters.

Riding in my scooter when we lived at B'lore- malleswaram
and
Chennai , Wow! Nungambakkam high road or kasturi rangan salai or trips to shopping, veg buying, pandi bazar or beaches trips ..AWESOME!:bluejump: Freedom, நம்ப காரியங்களை நம்ப பாக்கலாம்...no need to depend on others!

Very recently my family sold my scooter.

even recently insisted my father to buy & keep a scooter, useful when we visit Madras or B'lore,

though we don't want our elderly 75 yr old uncles or parents to drive them.
வீட்டுலே இருந்தா ஆட்டோ பிடிக்க மாட்டங்க or டிரைவர் call பண்ண மாட்டங்க .. அதான் பயம்!:(

I love my Kinetic Honda! :-D

vinatha.

PARAMASHIVAN
1st February 2012, 04:16 PM
I love my Kinetic Honda! :-D

They are the best Bike and to some extent car manufacturers in the world :), You just cant beat a Honda! I am thinking of getting a Honda Fireblade see below :)1052

PARAMASHIVAN
1st February 2012, 04:17 PM
Dig
\\
Wasn't Dharmathin thalaivan , Dharmadurai released on the same year as guru shisyan? :roll:
//

app_engine
1st February 2012, 09:04 PM
nanRi Param, rajkumarc, V_Sji and baroque!

Dig
\\
Wasn't Dharmathin thalaivan , Dharmadurai released on the same year as guru shisyan? :roll:
//

Remember we've discussed 'then madhurai vaigai nadhi' (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-275-குரு-சிஷ்யன்-பாடல்கள்&p=803205&viewfull=1#post803205)as the starting song of the year 1988? (From dharmaththin thalaivan).

Dharmadurai wasn't a 1988-er, it's probably a 1991 movie...

PARAMASHIVAN
1st February 2012, 09:15 PM
Well, when the drinking Rajini appeared on screen, there was such a roaring response from front benchers - throwing coins and what not! I haven't seen such a scene in theater even for MGR movies in TN and was surprised / shocked!

Ellam antha Ishtyle ku :smokesmile: :smokesmile: :smokesmile:

PARAMASHIVAN
1st February 2012, 09:17 PM
Dharmadurai wasn't a 1988-er, it's probably a 1991 movie... Oh 1991 :shock: It came after thalapathy, for some reason it looked older than Thalapathy :oops:

baroque
1st February 2012, 09:33 PM
that's cool, Param!

during 90s, when I was riding my Kinetic Honda scooter, some of my cousins
drove Yamaha. When we go out like trips to beaches etc...

கிண்டல் பண்ணுவானுங்க...
தத்தி தத்தி வராதாடி... அப்படின்னு! என்னோட குட்டி பையனை வேற, மாமாவோட வாடான்னு!
போடா டேய்!
my girl with a push button , start ! ready to carry me places classes, hospitals, to run my errands... smooth & fun!

Mahindra stopped it now.:(

cool girl , third aa vara paarunga namba Kinetic Honda! You are rocking, girl!

first TVS-50.

Vinatha

PARAMASHIVAN
1st February 2012, 09:49 PM
கிண்டல் பண்ணுவானுங்க...
தத்தி தத்தி வராதாடி... அப்படின்னு! என்னோட குட்டி பையனை வேற, மாமாவோட வாடான்னு!
போடா டேய்!

Oh First Time, I saw this Honda Kinetic on google Images, I have never seen this over here, perhaps they never sold this model over here. You one was a scooter rather than bike :) that is why it may have been slow :)

Ithu ennoda Honda 1053

baroque
1st February 2012, 10:09 PM
cool!

என்னோட cousins , அவனுங்க சும்மா! பொழுது போகாம என்ன கிண்டல் பண்ணுவானுங்க!

நானு, என்னோட குட்டிப் பையன், my வாகனம்-scooter, one bunch of attractive குரூப் on the road !:-D

என்னோட girl is cool ! she flied high !:) City drive is awesome!

vinatha

PARAMASHIVAN
1st February 2012, 11:12 PM
:-D @ vinatha akka

app_engine
1st February 2012, 11:46 PM
#277 வா வா வஞ்சி இளமானே
(குரு சிஷ்யன், 1988 , சித்ராவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0983'&lang=en)

vA vA vanji iLamAnE from Guru shishyan

A number of websites list this song as a Mano song. Is there a Mano version on the cassette or something like that (some "track" versions used to make it to the cassette those days)? In any case, this was the time period Mano was trying to sing exactly like SPB and thus there was some confusion among listeners. Especially songs that are not sung in the "regular / normal" voice. (e.g. adichchidu kottam of Indiran Chandiran). It is also possible that the netizens automatically assume a Prabhu song in a Rajini film cannot be in SPB's voice but had to be with a another singer :roll: Interestingly, Mano sang for Rajini in the 'jingadi-jingadi-enakku' in this movie, SPB sang for Rajini in 'kaNdu pudichchEn' and then for Prabhu the 'vA vA vanji iLamAnE'...kind of confusing!

There was no such confusion possible in the prior (MGR-Sivaji) era. If there's an album with TMS & PBS songs and the movie had Sivaji & Gemini, we can automatically assume that TMS sang for Sivaji and PBS for Gemini :lol2: However, these kind of equations didn't apply with the arrival of SPB. SPB sang for multiple heroes on the same movie as in this case (or pattAkkaththi bhairavan) and on occasions sang for hero & comedian too (ullAsappaRavaikaL). Not surprising, considering his versatility!

An OK song, nice singing and soft-on-ears-orchestration! While I didn't seek out to listen to this song those days, never got irritated when it played on public address systems! I should add that in the middle of the saraNam, there's a very lovable portion :-)

app_engine
2nd February 2012, 02:22 AM
We have a five more "light weight" numbers in 1988 before we close with the grand last number of the bearded Kamal.

So, this year will close without even touching the #290. So, #300 has to be from 1989!

As there're going to be only some light-weights in the coming days (and I don't have that much nostalgic memories about them also), why not start now some discussions on what will be the best pick to have the triple century tag?

May be I'll throw in a few numbers and let's see what gets picked!

app_engine
2nd February 2012, 02:46 AM
I'm sorry - changed my mind once I saw the movie list :oops:

It has karagam in it - so no poll / no choice / no appeal - it will be mAnguyilE :-)

genesis
2nd February 2012, 03:01 AM
and on occasions sang for hero & comedian too (ullAsappaRavaikaL). Not surprising, considering his versatility!

http://thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs=%27SNGSHK0153%27&lang=en

Few days back reading about "The Dirty Picture" and few more clicks I ended up with "வா மச்சான் வா வண்ணாரப்பேட்டை" from Vandichakkaram. Listening to this song, it appears the MD (Shankar Ganesh) cut loose SPB when recording this song.

This song features Suruli on screen (ie., If you can take your eyes away from other person on the screen, you can actually see Suruli).

al_gates
2nd February 2012, 05:18 AM
Dharmadurai is before Thalapathi only. I remember Dharmadurai releasing in my Class IX pongal holidays and Thalapathy in my Class X diwali hols!

baroque,
Kinetic honda nenachaale nyabagam varuvadhu indha comment from a friend's college yearbook about a fellow classmate:
"You will cry if you think of the fate,
Of the kinetic honda that bears her weight"

:smile2:

al_gates
2nd February 2012, 05:37 AM
Interestingly, however, the Palakkadan thing that comes to mind w.r.t. this song is the barber shop on the road from Sultanpet to Fort maidAn :oops: Well, there were quite a few on that road and I was not loyal to any one of them. There was one shop that worked even on Tuesdays (which were holidays for saloons in general) where I landed on some Tuesdays. Then there was another that used electric machines (and finished the job in < 10 min, that is before I dozed off) where I went when in a hurry. However, the most visited one was the slow fellow that had a nice music system and played film songs, including the TF ones. Whenever he played TF songs, they invariably were rAsA's and there's no wonder it was my preferred destination.

Oh, where would our music tastes be without the friendly neighborhood hair-cutting saloon guys and their peculiar spellings?[ ஸம்மர் - Rs 8, ஸ்டெப் - Rs 10, பங்கு - Rs 12 ; பங்கு is extremely funny!!!] "I want to tell you something" was first heard by me at one such saloon.

I recollect the electric machines used by barbers: they resembled a mini-lawn mower and produced sound like a Fighter Jet. I used to pray my ears would remain intact after a haircut session where these frightening machines were used. How happy I was when shops stopped using these machines sometime in early 90s!

Divine22
2nd February 2012, 06:20 AM
I'm sorry - changed my mind once I saw the movie list :oops:

It has karagam in it - so no poll / no choice / no appeal - it will be mAnguyilE :-)

App sir, :D Nalla choice !

groucho070
2nd February 2012, 06:41 AM
If not mistaken, the Prabhu song was also meant for Rajini, and when Rajini heard there was no duet for Prabhu, he asked for this song to be for Ilayathilagam. Of course, this is one the fans "see how our talaivar so humble" routines that I heard elsewhere. Whatever it is, it balances, enough duet for each, and one for both. Mother's favourite is Kandupudichen, as app said, tailor-made for the very versatile SPB.

Loved the little expose on the motorbike (how we call here, instead of the very literal two-wheeler) industry there :lol2:. Enakku two-wheeler, whether motorcycle or bicycle, remba bayam. Injured my knees during a bicycle race, and used that as my excuse for pre-mature retirement from football considering I suck at it compared to my awesome two brothers.

App, two :thumbsup: for you.

balaji
2nd February 2012, 07:24 AM
App-Sir

Though Manguile is one of the greatest songs, I would love to see any of the "Apoorva Sagodharargal" songs for #300.

The movie where IR made a big difference, be it songs or RR, IR stands tall. You can almost watch the movie eyes closed, and you still could judge what is happening thanks to some excellent background score.

Kamal may have done a lot of hard work, but IR easily wins ..

Thanks for the great work..

Bala

A_S
2nd February 2012, 10:26 AM
Agree with Bala. Raja Kaiya Vecha (SPB version) from AS will be an apt choice for #300.

baroque
2nd February 2012, 10:29 AM
al_gates,

mmm... that's very insensitive:twisted:
people want to read yearbook when they want to look back.
you don't want to write something nasty about somebody.

:ty: App_eng.

Vaavaa vanji ilamaaney..... is a big hit always.
plenty of violin orchestration. Indeed SPB.

yeah, Balaji,

Aboorva sagodharargal - outstanding album from Ilayaraja.

Bala sang a Rocknroll, B&R & emotive pathos.

One awesome album for Kamal.:thumbsup:

vinatha.

PARAMASHIVAN
2nd February 2012, 04:36 PM
#277 வா வா வஞ்சி இளமானே
(குரு சிஷ்யன், 1988 , சித்ராவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0983'&lang=en)

vA vA vanji iLamAnE from Guru shishyan

A number of websites list this song as a Mano song. Is there a Mano version on the cassette or something like that

Sorry App anna,

If this was the case, it is a serious insult to the great SPB! The company owning the websites/audio tapes should have been sued!

app_engine
2nd February 2012, 07:17 PM
nanRi to all, for the kind words & comments!

vA vA vanji iLamAnE youtube (picturization is ordinary but video quality is good):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMsQTn4vtRc

app_engine
2nd February 2012, 11:57 PM
#278 அதிகாலை நேரம் கனவில் உன்னைப்பார்த்தேன்
(நான் சொல்வதே சட்டம், 1988 , ஆஷா போஸ்லேயுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2211'&lang=en)

adhikAlai nEram kanavil unnaippArththEn (nAn solvathe sattam, with Asha Bhosle)

Did I say light-weight songs for the next few days? May be so, from the hit status...but not really from a musical POV. This song had been first heard on a few bus journeys inside Cbe city and I searched around for the details. Obscure movie but possibly a money-bag producer, rich enough to sign-up the Mumbai singer. Or, it could be the other way around - AB came to Chennai for some other prime singing assignment (with salary / # of days fixed) and thanks to the extreme efficiency of rAsA's team, the studio could get a few more numbers recorded without spending much or anything at all :roll:

There's no other explanation to see a ton of AB songs on a movie that had a horrible title like this and an unknown Charanraj doing the lead role (if one goes by Thiraippadal listing of the hero's name). I don't think most people even heard the name of the movie. However, few IR admirers of 80's would have missed the sweet songs from this album. I got this one and another duet (again same pair, will post tomorrow) recorded on a Sony cassette and treated myself regularly those days. These two numbers are among my favourite IR-AB numbers (though these songs didn't earn a place like sheNbagamE in my heart).

The melody is superb and very soothing and SPB's singing is like mayiliRagu koNdu varudal. BTW, the lady who was born in 1933 and started her singing career in 1943 sings this song very nice too :-)

tvsankar
3rd February 2012, 01:00 AM
app,
adhikalai kanavil.. nice pick. aasha paati nu solala. thanks.
Naan solvadhae sattam.. elalm nalla irukum. aasha nos. Thanks for the pick app. Indha TFM page ku vandhu dhan
indha paatai naan theirnjinden...........

ennoda most favourite no of aasha and SPB.

sandhoshamana Sivaranjani?

V_S
3rd February 2012, 09:16 AM
Thanks App for highlighting this song. Thanks. Superb song! Yes, Asha ji's voice does not sound old at all. Her diction is surprisingly good. Thiraipadal quality is excellent.

app_engine
3rd February 2012, 05:41 PM
nanRi Usha chEchi & V_Sji!

There are also a few youtubes (audio only) of this song that have nice audio quality.

I don't think anyone has posted the picturization on the net (better not :lol2:)

PARAMASHIVAN
3rd February 2012, 09:48 PM
#278 அதிகாலை நேரம் கனவில் உன்னைப்பார்த்தேன்
(நான் சொல்வதே சட்டம், 1988 , ஆஷா போஸ்லேயுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2211'&lang=en)

App anna
There was another SPB + AB combo, called "oru thEvathai vanthath mana sirai" was that from the same movie?

I like SPB+AB songs, except the fact AB pronunciation of Butter fly in the butter fly song! While SPB says Oh butter fly with such style, she says butteRRRR fly :lol:

app_engine
3rd February 2012, 09:58 PM
#279 ஒரு தேவதை வந்தது
(நான் சொல்வதே சட்டம், 1988 , ஆஷா போஸ்லேயுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2216'&lang=en)

oru dEvadhai vandhadhu (from nAn solvathE sattam with Asha Bhosle)

What a lovely song!

Though I used to make fun of the 'aLakiya dEvadhai' pronunciation of AB those days, there's no question about her excellent singing in this song that takes it to a different level (and I'm positive my fav SJ would have taken it to an even better level). SPB thoroughly enjoys singing as well, while the orchestration is kept to mostly "support mode" to let the melody take the driver's seat. Listening to songs like this on the headphone, lying down in the bed on a calm & silent night with absolutely no disturbances around is what I can call "bliss".

That such a song didn't go unnoticed in TN despite occuring in an obscure movie and got enough air time / bus time etc were possible simply because of the environment that got created by the rAsA phenomenon. (Unfortunately, that had been taken away by late 90's. Nowadays, it appears it's almost impossible for songs that are neither from successful movies nor highly promoted movies to get any kind of recognition. A very different music scene today. This phenomenon is like 'nirabarAthikku dhaNdanai' and is more irritating than the 'kuRRavALi thappiththal' aka popularity of undeserving numbers).

Anyways, like I mentioned before, this song brings me more memories of lachchumi complex and other Cbe roaming arounds. I think I've posted before about the Raja street's Tiffin House in some thread. I had a short-term-room-mate who finished his engg in Cbe and was aware of this place. He introduced me the joint which is on that cross street to oppaNakkAra street and was always crowded (the idlees, dOsais and the variety of chutnies - kathrikkA chutney famous -were all delicious) and one had to wait for the "rationing" much like the college mess. Well, mouth watering memories!

BTW, has any hubber watched this nAn solvathE sattam movie? If so, why not share the experience?

app_engine
3rd February 2012, 10:01 PM
App anna
There was another SPB + AB combo, called "oru thEvathai vanthath mana sirai" was that from the same movie?

Posted today :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
3rd February 2012, 10:43 PM

SPB thoroughly enjoys singing as well, while the orchestration is kept to mostly "support mode" to let the melody take the driver's seat. Listening to songs like this on the headphone, lying down in the bed on a calm & silent night with absolutely no disturbances around is what I can call "bliss".

Exactly! This is exactly what I do, listen to such songs when no one is at home, dangerously addictive romantic song! Listen to the bit when SPB starts "Chandira oorkolam kandEn manN meethu"! Excellent Only SPB possible!

Thanks for such wonder full write ups Anna, I have thoroughly enjoyed all the post and thanks again for your “one man contribution” to such divine thread! :notworthy:

buggle
3rd February 2012, 11:22 PM
அதிகாலை நேரம் கனவில் உன்னைப்பார்த்தேன்

Kudos to a_e, for long time i have listened to both these songs not bothered to find the movie name...thx a_e

Sureshs65
3rd February 2012, 11:26 PM
app,

'devathai vandadhu' is based on the raga Saranga. I think he did one more Saranga in 'Parvathi Ennai Paradi' but that was by Malaysia. This is a lovely song. What a superb rhythm and also an excellent tune. Asha sounds so good.

BTW, Raja has picked Saranga again in 'Padithurai'. Unfortunately the movie doesn't get released. Lets hope the music will atleast get released.

skr
4th February 2012, 01:19 AM
Wow Wow Wow , Thanks App
Just love Oru Devathai , it was a recent find for me and i just absolutely love this song.
Enna oru mayakkara feel , AB and SPB do a great job

Btw did Vazhibam Vaazhga from Devi Sridevi feature in your list ?
That was another stunner i discovered recently , might have missed it here.

app_engine
4th February 2012, 08:42 AM
nanRi Param & buggle for the kind words!

Thank you Sureshji for the rare rAgA info!

nanRi skr! Yes, we've featured the vAlibam vAzhga (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-275-குரு-சிஷ்யன்-பாடல்கள்&p=740409&viewfull=1#post740409) sometime back...

skr
5th February 2012, 07:46 PM
Nandri App

app_engine
6th February 2012, 09:47 PM
Three songs are due today (2 for the weekend & 1 for Monday)...all are light-weights :-)

In any case, the IR-forum had been on great mood during the last few days (IR-team-insider Karl Kalyan posting, Gautam's project, new releases and what not)...so my purANams are definitely not missed :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
6th February 2012, 09:51 PM
App anna

There was a song called "oru nanbanin kathai ithu", I think it is some kamal movie. Do you know the name of the movie?

Thanks

app_engine
6th February 2012, 09:54 PM
App anna

There was a song called "oru nanbanin kathai ithu", I think it is some kamal movie. Do you know the name of the movie?

Thanks

It's from the movie 'sattam' and the MD is Gangai Amaran.

PARAMASHIVAN
6th February 2012, 10:00 PM
It's from the movie 'sattam' and the MD is Gangai Amaran.

:ty: .

app_engine
6th February 2012, 10:06 PM
#280 நந்தவனம் பூத்திருக்குது
(இல்லம், 1988) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1079'&lang=en)

nandhavanam pooththirukkudhu, from illam

A song that instantly reminds me of the tea-shops of the suburbun centers of Cbe on Palakkad road - like Kuniyamuthur / Madhukkarai where those were typically not just tea-shops but also bakeries. With a few chairs and tea-table-tall fixtures to serve out, one can have some cookies or thEngAi bun with tea when meeting a friend, waiting for the bus after visiting some known person in the area etc. With decent music systems, not-so-great cookies but typically good tea, one can easily spend a few minutes of waiting here and often get treated by superb music.

Songs like these were tailor-made for such places and IR's strings & drums combined with sweet singing by SPB kept the people's spirit high :-) Though one does not know anything about this movie (says I V Sasi was the director and Sivakumar the hero, so one can easily conclude it to be some Malayalam remake), the song is paLich-paLich in the mind. That of listening to it in such tea shops many times.

Like I mentioned before, it was "light-weight" in the sense not a mega-hit. However, there was no question of this finding the place in the frequent requests at the recording centers during those days. ippadi eththanai eththanaiyO!

Plum
6th February 2012, 10:25 PM
App - this one is nothing but a remake of SathyettAn's sanmanasuLLavarukku samAdhAnam *ing that brilliant pair of Srinivasan-Lalettan

app_engine
6th February 2012, 10:32 PM
#281 மனதினிலே ஒரு பாட்டு
(தாயம் ஒன்னு , 1988 , சுசீலாவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0670'&lang=en)

manadhilE oru pAttu, from dhAyam onnu

Another number of a similar nature - much like the illam song I posted above. Very sweet melody, sung in a serene manner by both SPB & his akkA to soothe the minds of the listeners. Those were wonderful days - when one could relax with friends in a tea shop, spending practically nothing (two people eat cookies / vadai / samOsA and have tasty hot tea, enjoy music, have some fun conversation - all for less than Rs 5)! While the conversation often jumps from one topic to another, it was inevitable for music & rAsA to figure somewhere in that, if one of them happened to be me :-)

Once again, know nothing about this movie - googling says it was an Arjun starrer. Quite possible it came and went without leaving any trace - except such a sweet melody! I am not sure with such a title what kind of movie it could have been :confused:

Ofcourse, I enjoyed playing 'dhAyam' during childhood / school days, with those 7X7 kattam and six 'chOzhi' suzhaRRal. One gets in with onnu (also called dhAyam) and progresses / cuts opponents etc before finally making it to the center which was called 'pazham'. Then there was this famous 'parama padha shObana padam', which was also played with chOzhi suzhaRRal. There again, for entry one had to get 'dhAyam' (i.e. 1 on the 6-sea-shells version of "dice"). There were these snakes and ladders (the biggest snake taking one down to #1 where the picture was a kurangu and the snake was known as 'koranguppAmbu'). Once the person reaches the top row, there were pictures of many deities and each step had to be with a dhAyam until the 'parama padham' (feet of brAhm) is reached and the first one to reach was the winner.

Possibly the movie had the tale of someone who was swayed around by the unforeseen happenings (like the dice) over which he had no control but had to contend with...and a path filled with ladders and snakes...

app_engine
6th February 2012, 10:34 PM
App - this one is nothing but a remake of SathyettAn's sanmanasuLLavarukku samAdhAnam *ing that brilliant pair of Srinivasan-Lalettan

Oh, that was a sweet movie!

nanRi, Plum for the info !

app_engine
6th February 2012, 11:11 PM
#282 ஒரு பொட்டு வச்சுப்பாக்கப்போறேன்
(தெற்கத்திக்கள்ளன், 1988) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3630'&lang=en)

'oru pottu vachchuppAkkappOREn' from theRkaththikkaLLan, with adi-dhadi percussion for the pallavi!

Wait a minute!

Before concluding this to be another "unknown - light weight" movie / album, please listen to another song from this album : 'rAdhA azhaikkiRAL' (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3631'&lang=en) :clap:

One of the biggest hit songs of that year! So, this album must have been a top rated one then -going by the popularity of the rAdhA number. The SPB solo, however, was quite an average one, of the polished dappAnguththu variety. Though I never knew the name of the movie of the rAdhA song, it was in one of my collections and I've always enjoyed that for the superb recording (by the then prevailing standards). Recently, one of my relatives remarked that this song served as a benchmark those days for "rating" audio systems as to how good they were :-) Both IR's orchestration and SJ's singing at their sweetest here, apart from the wonderful ambience in recording!

I looked at youtube yesterday and ofcourse it has the rAdhA song - featuring Vijayakanth - Radhika.

Songs like this are best enjoyed in vans / minivans! While listening to music in car is wonderful, since it's relatively smaller, sometimes the components don't sound nicely separated (as in the case of headphones). Vans on the other had, have multiple speakers - channels and are quite distributed and one gets to listen with a better ambience. Buses are typically even better, with the right music system and when in the right volume with all windows / doors closed and not having too much motion noise - almost auditorium feel. However, one never gets such "ideal conditions" on buses as there're always wind / engine noises that overpower the music. So, vans are the way to go!

Well, during childhood, I've seen those black color monster vans (fargo and such kinds) that were also waiting along with the "town buses" in the town bus stand when we had trips to my dad's village. Those were too crowded, horrible looking and running, unreliable and over a time period disappeared from the scene. I didn't see vans running from towns to villages during the late 70's or 80's at all. I'm not talking about such vans :-) Then there came to be some matador vans that were used by private operators as taxi's. Again horrible vehicles, run on diesal and noisy - with hardly anything to write about - less said the better about any music played in them.

However, during the late 80's, along with the great changes to the scene of cars & bikes (Maruthi Suzuki's / Hero Honda's), there came a few sweet vans too. Toyota had their JV and then there were Swaraj Mazda, Mahindra Nissan, Eicher Mitsubishi and later on Tempo Traveller (with Benz). These, along with the Tata Vans, were a different breed altogether. With superb, less noisy engines, often air-conditioned and practically noise free inside, these could serve as terrific music halls! I have heard the rAdhA song a few times in such vehicles - mesmerizing - during some marriage functions (such vehicles carried guests to bus stands / railway stations from maNdapam)!

In your next opportunity to ride in such a van, play the rAdhA song (have it in your iPod or some equipment and insist with the driver) and experience the lovely orch of rAsA!

app_engine
6th February 2012, 11:12 PM
I've caught up now and have only one song left for the year, 1988!

As mentioned before, it's a biggie tomorrow and with it I'll also start a story that will run into a few songs (all biggies) :wink:

buggle
7th February 2012, 01:43 AM
#280 நந்தவனம் பூத்திருக்குது
(இல்லம், 1988) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1079'&lang=en)

Not sure you have seen the picturization of this song..Chandrasekar dance around Amala and try to attact her.
It was funny though the way he make those dance moves....

jaiganes
7th February 2012, 02:43 AM
it is supposed to be funny - by design..
u must see the hindi version where paresh rawal is dancing..

A_S
7th February 2012, 12:14 PM
App,

Please consider including the only SPB (& MV) song En Pathira Maaththu Chithira Ponne(Satyaraj & Raghuvaran entertaining the little girl in the movie – Raaja as always comes up with something special) in the unforgettable “Enn Bommukkuti Ammavukku” album. This song has all the genres packed into it (lyrics summarize the story line of the movie) and is worthy of getting into this master list being put together by you. Except for this song and another IR solo (short and sweet song - Kanne Navamaniye that’s like a theme song for this movie), all other songs were sung by KJY and KSC and hence this song especially got overshadowed by them to some extent.
Lyrics of this song: http://www.dhool.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4828
Link for hearing the song: http://www.palanikumar.com/filmsongdetails.phtml?filmid=337&songid=1396

Divine22
7th February 2012, 02:27 PM
Manathile ore pattu ~ such a breezy, calm singing , effortlessly by the man, bliss..... unmaiyaagave mazhaiye vara veikkere maatiri paaduvaar...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umTEZhvb8Fg

Plum
7th February 2012, 03:08 PM
App - I remember Dhaayam oNNu vaguely from Doordarshan days in the late 80s. It stars Arjun on some kind of treasure hunt or mercenary mission, I don't remember which. He recruits a motley crowd of starlet heroines - Nishanti, Seetha et al. As is customary, he squeezes in a duet(and much else ;-) ) with almost every one of them. Manadhile oru paattu, the sober-most of the songs in the movie, goes to Homely Seetha, unsurprisingly. Nishanti gets to do the rumbunctious Kotti kidakku gundu malli poovu, I think, with your favourite Chitra chechi doing a fabulous job. Can't remember much else - is raathiri poothadhu kaattu roja from this movie as well. Think that was by Jikki.

PARAMASHIVAN
7th February 2012, 09:05 PM
Folks

When was Varusham 16 released? 88 or 89? Wonderfull songs by IR. Only one song for SPB, while the best ones went for KJY.

Pick of the song from this movie "Pazha muthir solai" by KJY :thumbsup:

app_engine
7th February 2012, 09:10 PM
buggle,
Like I said earlier, I have no idea about illam :-) Looks like a comedian song (based on Plum's & jai's posts)...

A_S,
Thank you for the reminder on the bommukkutty ammAvukku song. I wasn't sure if it was that popular (and it was the most irritating scene to me in that lovely movie)...may be so and we can schedule them in the 'list missed by app'

Plum,
Interesting pointers on dhAyam :-)

Param,
varusham is listed as a 1989-er, we'll get to that song in due course :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
7th February 2012, 10:06 PM
nandri App anna :)

Few more doubts, when and what movies were these songs from (I have a feeling these could be Sathyraj movies)

1) Paatha kolusu satham ..... ??
2) Vagai nathi oRam pOn maalai nEram
3) engiruntho Ilanguyilin iniisai kEtu (bhrama ?? )

And I am not sure if any one here heard of an album called "Inisai mazhai" , I think it came around 1992/1993 . Awesome songs by IR + SPB but the film was a Flop, it had new commers and IIRC it had the younger version of "Vivek" ??

app_engine
7th February 2012, 10:32 PM
#283 வளையோசை கலகலகலவென கவிதைகள் படிக்குது
குளுகுளு தென்றல் காற்றும் வீசுது
(சத்யா, 1988 , லதா மங்கேஷ்கருடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3246'&lang=en)

vaLaiyOsai from sathyA!

-one of the best TFM picturizations ever
-one of the best TFM songs of last century
-one of the best TFM songs of last millennium
-one of the best TFM songs of IR's career
-one of the best TFM songs ever
-If someone has problems with any of the above statements, I'll be willing to have a oththaikku oththai physical fight :-)

Much had been posted about this in the forum and I need not dwell on the greatness of this song over and over again. Palakkad started getting ChennaiththolaikkAtchi around the time of the release of this movie - thanks to the relay station located at Kodai hills - and the small portable B&W TV in the house of co-workers showed this song in 'oliyum oLiyum'. At the end of the program we rushed to catch the bus and watched the movie, as reported before in some thread. While the movie was another 'kalaichchelvam' from Mumbai, this song was a "leftover" from the NBW album per Kamal. The first TF song I loved in LM's voice and continue to listen on repeat often until now! SPB at his konjal best! This is another 'heard-best-in-minivan' kind of song.

I told in a post yesterday that a new story will start with this song. This tale is somewhat romantic but not due to romance. Sorry for the confusing start, can't help it as the whole "relationship" (i.e. if one can call it that way) was a confusing one. I'll get into the details starting from next song (that will be from the mega hit of 1989, AS) and only give some background in this post.

enna dhAn kattuppetti, self-control, women-covered-with-long-overcoats, strict factory discipline etc irundhAlum at the age of early 20's and being away from home / relatives, surrounded by beautiful Kerala vanithakaL for >8 hours, 6 days a week has to have some effect :-) Though the initial thrill days of 1986 (immediate shift from dry thuvAkkudi to green Kerala) cannot be compared with what it was after 2 years, the silirppoos / chemical reactions were bound to be present.

Actually, not all were only thrills in 1986 even. When I first started in the workplace, the head of that department's women actually looked like the 'thAi dEvadhai' of Pinochchio (with me feeling like the marappAvai). The Thamizh book in which I read the story during school days had the picture of the fairy that got so strongly embedded in mind and this lady exactly resembled her. Add to that her monolisa smile & the oRRaikkal mookkuththi - one could keep looking at her face all the 8 hours :-)

However, that she was married / cold / extremely beautiful etc made sure there was no "feelings". And so, it was more of bramippu than silirppu. Then came some fleeting glances with others here and there (like the bus-stop thingy mentioned in the 'vA veNNilA' song's post) but those were none long-lasting and nothing that had any real effect that could keep playing when the person was not present. So, I thought I was doing well - very responsble, not getting into any unnecessary trouble etc.

Until this girl started the trouble....(To be continued)

PARAMASHIVAN
7th February 2012, 10:41 PM
enna dhAn kattuppetti, self-control, women-covered-with-long-overcoats, strict factory discipline etc irundhAlum at the age of early 20's and being away from home / relatives, surrounded by beautiful Kerala vanithakaL for >8 hours, 6 days a week has to have some effect :-) Though the initial thrill days of 1986 (immediate shift from dry thuvAkkudi to green Kerala) cannot be compared with what it was after 2 years, the silirppoos / chemical reactions were bound to be present.

yOv ithu umakE nalla irukA :lol2: (joking) , I was in this situation between 1997 - 2005 so many propOsals :lol2: :lol2:

I yaam the escape u :yessir:

app_engine
7th February 2012, 11:05 PM
Few more doubts

1. pAdha kolusu satham - thirumathi pazhanichchAmy, 1992
2. vaigai nathi Oram - rickshAw mAmA - 1992
3. engirundhO iLanguyilin - brammA - 1991

innisai mazhai - 1992

PARAMASHIVAN
7th February 2012, 11:14 PM
1. pAdha kolusu satham - thirumathi pazhanichchAmy, 1992
2. vaigai nathi Oram - rickshAw mAmA - 1992
3. engirundhO iLanguyilin - brammA - 1991

innisai mazhai - 1992

Thanks anna :)

app_engine
8th February 2012, 05:21 AM
vaLaiyOsai youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jih2kxPyYU&feature=related

V_S
8th February 2012, 06:23 AM
App,
No one can deny the fact that is one of the best song and composition in TFM, if not Indian film history. But what was the original movie, if this is kalaichelvam? I loved this movie a lot when it came (even now) and I remember watching consecutive night shows for atleast 3-4 days in Coimbatore. Kamal with his beard, looked dashing! Just for him and his acting, we should see this movie. Kamal's POtta madiyuthu was a non-stop song for me that time. And not to forget 'Nagaru Nagaru' was very popular among our college friends. SPB starts some wierd humming in between (after the calling bell), if I am not wrong. What a composition that is! Amala looked perfect in this one, as she pulled down compared to Mella Thiranthathu Kadhavu and her earlier movies. In another 2 years she went to extremes. Kamal-Amala, Beautiful pair to watch.

But, now more than the song, your story interests me a lot.:D Suspense'allam vechhi ekkachakkama expectations build-up pannitteenga. :smile:

baroque
8th February 2012, 06:33 AM
aahaa...app_eng hosts a mega ir-bala composition!

night vandhu enjoy pannaren :-D.....

vinatha.

Plum
8th February 2012, 07:25 AM
V_S - original is Rahul Rawail's Arjun *ing Sunny Paaji

V_S
8th February 2012, 08:18 PM
Thanks Plum for the info. :smile:

Sureshs65
8th February 2012, 08:21 PM
app,

The narration is getting interesting :D

PARAMASHIVAN
8th February 2012, 08:27 PM
Guys

How was this film (sathya), I have never seen it. One of the few Kamal's films I have never seen. pls comment!

V_S
8th February 2012, 08:49 PM
param,
This film is a follow-up to gangster film 'Nayagan'. Gripping screenplay. Very well made film. Kamal's eyes will speak and sparkle with anger. Coolest kitty as villain. You will never regret watching this film. I think this is Suresh Krishna's first film as director.

PARAMASHIVAN
8th February 2012, 08:57 PM
param,
This film is a follow-up to gangster film 'Nayagan'. Gripping screenplay. Very well made film. Kamal's eyes will speak and sparkle with anger. Coolest kitty as villain. You will never regret watching this film. I think this is Suresh Krishna's first film as director.

Oh Thanks VS ji

Suresh Krishna's 1st film, he was one hell of a director in the 90's (annamalai, basha) will try and watch it today. Thanks for the info :)

app_engine
8th February 2012, 09:45 PM
nanRi V_Sji, Sureshji, Param, baroque & Plum!

But, now more than the song, your story interests me a lot.

The narration is getting interesting

With some extremely great songs of Kamal, I didn't want to keep the beaten track of "bussu, teakkadai, head-phone-on-beddu" kinds.

There has to be some real special memories :-)

And these parts being posted are as much exclusive as confusing - known to very few people so far (i.e. one is me, two is her, three is arasal-purasalA-to-my-real-lover-cum-wife, four is one close-friend-house-mate-who-knows-about-90%, five is arasal-purasal-to-some-coworker-onlookers) :lol2:

app_engine
8th February 2012, 09:56 PM
Before doing the compilation of links for 1988, some more vaLaiyOsai stuff...

-I would say, after SD & JP, Amala is the best with Kamal! She is simply too good in this song, the way she gives KH permission to "only touch one finger" :lol:
-Watching this song should put anyone having "periya kamalahAsannu nenaippu" in total shame - none can be compared to Kamal in romance, never!
-Like Keralites' imitation of KJY by growing beard, many TN youngsters tried beard / short hair after Sathya Kamal (one of my b-i-l's was part of them as per my wife) :-)

BTW, the thread has hit the 300th page :clap:

PARAMASHIVAN
8th February 2012, 10:22 PM
many TN youngsters tried beard / short hair after Sathya Kamal

Time to confess :oops:

When Pandiyan was released , I made a black "tick mark" on my school shirt! :lol: and my mates(mostly girls :lol2: ) were telling me to remove it saying it did not suit me as I ressembled nayagan kamal. since then till date (never had a a meesai) . But I refused to remove the tick, since I was more of a Rajni fan than Kamal ! Those were the days! :(

PARAMASHIVAN
8th February 2012, 10:23 PM
BTW, the thread has hit the 300th page :clap:

All because of your Dedication and hard work! Hats off to you sir :notworthy:

app_engine
8th February 2012, 11:22 PM
ok, time to post the links for 1988...

All 70's & years 1980 to 1987 here (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-283-%E0%AE%B5%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%88%E0%AE%AF%E0%AF%8B%E0%A E%9A%E0%AF%88-%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%A E%B2%E0%AE%B5%E0%AF%86%E0%AE%A9&p=803187&viewfull=1#post803187)

Those of 1988 (many from 'kalaichchelvam' movies) :

#265 thenmadhurai vaigai nadhi adhu pAdum thamizhppAttu (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-283-%E0%AE%B5%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%88%E0%AE%AF%E0%AF%8B%E0%A E%9A%E0%AF%88-%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%A E%B2%E0%AE%B5%E0%AF%86%E0%AE%A9&p=803205&viewfull=1#post803205)
#266 Ekantha vELai inikkum (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-283-%E0%AE%B5%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%88%E0%AE%AF%E0%AF%8B%E0%A E%9A%E0%AF%88-%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%A E%B2%E0%AE%B5%E0%AF%86%E0%AE%A9&p=804708&viewfull=1#post804708)
#267 keeravANi iravilE nilavilE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-283-%E0%AE%B5%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%88%E0%AE%AF%E0%AF%8B%E0%A E%9A%E0%AF%88-%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%A E%B2%E0%AE%B5%E0%AF%86%E0%AE%A9&p=804741&viewfull=1#post804741)
#268 idhazhil kadhai ezhudhum nEramidhu (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-283-%E0%AE%B5%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%88%E0%AE%AF%E0%AF%8B%E0%A E%9A%E0%AF%88-%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%A E%B2%E0%AE%B5%E0%AF%86%E0%AE%A9&p=804790&viewfull=1#post804790)
#269 punjai uNdu nanjai uNdu (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-283-%E0%AE%B5%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%88%E0%AE%AF%E0%AF%8B%E0%A E%9A%E0%AF%88-%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%A E%B2%E0%AE%B5%E0%AF%86%E0%AE%A9&p=805268&viewfull=1#post805268)
#270 unnAl mudiyum thambi thambi (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-283-%E0%AE%B5%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%88%E0%AE%AF%E0%AF%8B%E0%A E%9A%E0%AF%88-%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%A E%B2%E0%AE%B5%E0%AF%86%E0%AE%A9&p=805884&viewfull=1#post805884)
#271 akkam pakkam pArudA chinna rAsA (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-283-%E0%AE%B5%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%88%E0%AE%AF%E0%AF%8B%E0%A E%9A%E0%AF%88-%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%A E%B2%E0%AE%B5%E0%AF%86%E0%AE%A9&p=806499&viewfull=1#post806499)
#272 vAsalilE poosaNippoo vachchupputtA vachchupputtA (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-283-%E0%AE%B5%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%88%E0%AE%AF%E0%AF%8B%E0%A E%9A%E0%AF%88-%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%A E%B2%E0%AE%B5%E0%AF%86%E0%AE%A9&p=807095&viewfull=1#post807095)
#273 ennuyirE vA ennuyirE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-283-%E0%AE%B5%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%88%E0%AE%AF%E0%AF%8B%E0%A E%9A%E0%AF%88-%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%A E%B2%E0%AE%B5%E0%AF%86%E0%AE%A9&p=808147&viewfull=1#post808147)
#274 pAdAtha themmAngu nAn pAda vandhEnE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-283-%E0%AE%B5%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%88%E0%AE%AF%E0%AF%8B%E0%A E%9A%E0%AF%88-%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%A E%B2%E0%AE%B5%E0%AF%86%E0%AE%A9&p=808653&viewfull=1#post808653)
#275 manjappodi thEykkayilE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-283-%E0%AE%B5%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%88%E0%AE%AF%E0%AF%8B%E0%A E%9A%E0%AF%88-%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%A E%B2%E0%AE%B5%E0%AF%86%E0%AE%A9&p=808661&viewfull=1#post808661)
#276 kaNdu pudichchEn kaNdu pudichchEn (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-283-%E0%AE%B5%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%88%E0%AE%AF%E0%AF%8B%E0%A E%9A%E0%AF%88-%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%A E%B2%E0%AE%B5%E0%AF%86%E0%AE%A9&p=809122&viewfull=1#post809122)
#277 vA vA vanji iLamAnE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-283-%E0%AE%B5%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%88%E0%AE%AF%E0%AF%8B%E0%A E%9A%E0%AF%88-%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%A E%B2%E0%AE%B5%E0%AF%86%E0%AE%A9&p=809885&viewfull=1#post809885)
#278 adhikAlai nEram kanavil unnaippArththEn (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-283-%E0%AE%B5%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%88%E0%AE%AF%E0%AF%8B%E0%A E%9A%E0%AF%88-%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%A E%B2%E0%AE%B5%E0%AF%86%E0%AE%A9&p=810387&viewfull=1#post810387)
#279 oru dhEvadhai vandhadhu (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-283-%E0%AE%B5%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%88%E0%AE%AF%E0%AF%8B%E0%A E%9A%E0%AF%88-%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%A E%B2%E0%AE%B5%E0%AF%86%E0%AE%A9&p=810896&viewfull=1#post810896)
#280 nandhavanam pooththirukkudhu adi ammAdi (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-283-%E0%AE%B5%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%88%E0%AE%AF%E0%AF%8B%E0%A E%9A%E0%AF%88-%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%A E%B2%E0%AE%B5%E0%AF%86%E0%AE%A9&p=812297&viewfull=1#post812297)
#281 manadhilE oru pAttu (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-283-%E0%AE%B5%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%88%E0%AE%AF%E0%AF%8B%E0%A E%9A%E0%AF%88-%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%A E%B2%E0%AE%B5%E0%AF%86%E0%AE%A9&p=812314&viewfull=1#post812314)
#282 oru pottu vachchu pAkkappOREn (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-283-%E0%AE%B5%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%88%E0%AE%AF%E0%AF%8B%E0%A E%9A%E0%AF%88-%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%A E%B2%E0%AE%B5%E0%AF%86%E0%AE%A9&p=812333&viewfull=1#post812333)
#283 vaLaiyOsai kalakalakalavena (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-283-%E0%AE%B5%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%88%E0%AE%AF%E0%AF%8B%E0%A E%9A%E0%AF%88-%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%A E%B2%E0%AE%B5%E0%AF%86%E0%AE%A9&p=812801&viewfull=1#post812801)