PDA

View Full Version : The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16

app_engine
16th March 2012, 11:30 PM
Oh! just realised. My most favourite song of this fabulous album is sung by Mano :)

saththam varAmal?
(I love the Jewish folk portion & also the terrific guitar that follows the vA nee, thEnee, rAnee)

V_S
16th March 2012, 11:57 PM
Wonderful post App. :clap: I concur with what you said about SPB and his singing!

app_engine
17th March 2012, 01:01 AM
nanRi, V_Sji!
SPB is so versatile!

It looks like the year 1990 has much fewer songs than I thought it will have :roll:

We won't even hit #330 before this year ends as per my accounting at this point of time. Still we have another week of posts for this year and one of them will be a huge senti post (I'll give a pre-warning, however :-) )

genesis
17th March 2012, 02:41 AM
saththam varAmal?
(I love the Jewish folk portion & also the terrific guitar that follows the vA nee, thEnee, rAnee)

Why so much Jewish folk? Even in Uttalakadi song the chorus is saying "Hawa Nagila Hawa Nagila"..... Is Raja leaving some clues about his inspiration?

app_engine
17th March 2012, 06:38 PM
uttAlakkadi youtube :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vubb_FFtsOI

app_engine
18th March 2012, 07:57 AM
#322 இளவட்டம் கைதட்டும் டும் டும்
(மை டியர் மார்த்தாண்டன், 1990 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2154'&lang=en)

iLavattam kai thattum dum dum of MDM, with SJ

The top duet pair back in action and in top form here :-) Check how SPB does konjal in the beginning of the first saraNam and SJ does an equally enchanting act in the second saraNam with her 'kalyANi' :thumbsup: Sometime back I checked on the last song thread and Sureshji confirmed that this song is indeed kalyAni rAgA based. That first line of the saraNam in the most lovable part in the whole song for me. SJ does a trademark giggle also to score points over SPB and it's confusion for me each time when I listen to this song, as to who wins in their 'not openly told' competition:-) SPB does a neat job but due to the extra things thrown in, SJ leads, IMHO.

What a sweet string arrangement - rAjA only possible stuff - in the second interlude. He instantly transports us to a music theater where a huge orchestra performs exclusively for us! This is in addition to the trumpets-strings combo terrific first interlude! I don't think I'll ever need an exclusive symphony from rAjA - what things he has done in 1000's of such interludes are more than what I can enjoy in the lifetime! The drummer too is excellent in this song - IR had given him an exclusive opportunity in the prelude and also allows him to dominate thru out! There's also little bit off vocal harmony stuff here and there, those portions are kind of ok.

The stereo system in our bachelor home was in full blast / max volume etc when this song was playing most of the time. With not much furniture around in a huge, high ceiling bedroom of that new house, the acoustics was terrific too! IIRC, by the time this song was playing a lot, me said bye to -OH and the way in which the adi-thadi numbers of MDM got enjoyed were quite different from what was going on for a couple of years :wink:

Thoroughly enjoyable album, with 3 great SPB numbers!

app_engine
18th March 2012, 08:03 AM
iLavattam youtube :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-nBXwX3wEg

PARAMASHIVAN
19th March 2012, 12:12 AM
My Dear Marthandan la Kushboo va :shock:

groucho070
19th March 2012, 06:27 AM
Raghu, your "Ennadhu Ghandiya suttutAnggalA" reaction is always priceless :wink:

app_engine
19th March 2012, 03:42 PM
Two songs are due today (including one backlog for Sunday).

Both will be from the "rich fellow" movie :-)

WARNING : One will be a regular post ; the second will be a long one with senti-stuff, so read at your own risk :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
19th March 2012, 03:54 PM
Raghu, your "Ennadhu Ghandiya suttutAnggalA" reaction is always priceless :wink:

AllOv,

I did not see this film :poke:

PARAMASHIVAN
19th March 2012, 03:57 PM
Both will be from the "rich fellow" movie :-)

Panakaran ?

app_engine
19th March 2012, 04:21 PM
Panakaran ?

Yes sir!

"silence" & "ding ding dong" are the SPB duets from that album...

PARAMASHIVAN
19th March 2012, 04:27 PM
Appa anna , intha sir ellam romba over :oops:

BTW, I need some Tamil lessons, please tell me the meaning of the following words

Ponaram ???
Poovaram ???
Singaram ??

app_engine
19th March 2012, 04:40 PM
Param,

'Aram' means 'mAlai' or 'chain' (ponnAram = gold chain, poovAram = garland)...In math, 'Aram' means 'radius' (which is funny as the same word means 'circle/ ellipse' in the ornamental context).

singAram means beauty (have you heard the phrase 'singArachchennai', means beautiful Madras)...singAri means beautiful girl, singAra vElan is beautiful (handsome) Kamal :wink:

BTW, if you are talking about the SPB song from 'pagalil oru iravu', that word is not singAram - it is "srungAram", that means romance :lol2:

app_engine
19th March 2012, 10:05 PM
#323 சைலன்ஸ், காதல் செய்யும் நேரம் இது
(பணக்காரன், 1990 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2647'&lang=en)

'silence, kAdhal seyyum nEram idhu' of paNakkAran

Sugary SPB-SJ duet from a biggie Rajinikanth movie that had the pretty Gautami romancing him (possibly inside a library, and that's the reason for 'silence-silence'). I think this was the movie where we first noticed the "shake-head-only" dance movement, which was hilarious. The movie had some other funny things too - like Gautami doing imitation of Rajini style and rAsA singing for Rajini (uLLukkuLLa charavarthi). And, it had regular masAlA things like Vijayakumar having two women, Radharavi villaththangangaL, Gautami paNakkAriththimirththanangAL, the typical piRappu ragasiyam, rAsA singing title song (maraththa vachchavan) etc.

I think the movie was a hit (even me watched twice in Palakkad theaters, one time due to simble vettiness and the other time motivated by thaNNi). The songs were quite popular too. At the time of arrival of the album, SJ version of nooRu varusham was my top favourite (Mano does the male version which features Rajinikanth in saree on screen). Especially the anupallavi portion - onnukkonnu pakkaththulA - is so sweet! Over the years, however, it's the SPB-KSC duet that gets the top mark from me and very enjoyable. The silence song is ok kind - the trumpet sound is definitely enjoyable but the melody / drums / vocal harmony etc are strictly ok variety and not extra special.

P Vasu is the director - who has by this time proved to be a successful alternative to SPM. Wiki says story by "Prakash Mehra", so it must be another AB kalaichchelvam :lol2:

genesis
19th March 2012, 10:18 PM
Param,

'Aram' means 'mAlai' or 'chain' (ponnAram = gold chain, poovAram = garland)...In math, 'Aram' means 'radius' (which is funny as the same word means 'circle/ ellipse' in the ornamental context).

singAram means beauty (have you heard the phrase 'singArachchennai', means beautiful Madras)...singAri means beautiful girl, singAra vElan is beautiful (handsome) Kamal :wink:

BTW, if you are talking about the SPB song from 'pagalil oru iravu', that word is not singAram - it is "srungAram", that means romance :lol2:

AFAIK, Aaram (ஆரம்) is a Tamil word, so are Poo (பூ) and Pon (பொன்) - So Poovaram and Ponnaram are pure Tamil words. Where as Singaar is a Sanskrit word loosely translated as beauty or make-up. Per Tamil grammar "Am" or "An" added to Sanskrit words to Tamilify them - Ram becomes Raman, Raaga becomes Raagam. So, even though Singram rhymes with Poovaram and Ponnaram the etymology is completely different.

Moreover I think Singaar and Shrungaar mean the same thing.... but at some point Shrungaar somehow got associated with romance in South India.

singAra vElan is beautiful (handsome) Kamal :wink:

அப்பனே, முருகா!! இதெல்லாம் கொஞ்சம் ஓவர்.

Plum
19th March 2012, 10:18 PM
Yes, Laawaaris. Angrezi mein kehte hai I luv u is the 100 varusham equivalent

app_engine
19th March 2012, 10:41 PM
Yes, Laawaaris. Angrezi mein kehte hai I luv u is the 100 varusham equivalent

nanRi, Plum!

I only know the AB-sung number 'mErE angnE mEin tumhAra kya kAm hai' :lol2:

app_engine
20th March 2012, 02:50 AM
#324 இரண்டும் ஒன்றோடு ஒன்று சேர்ந்தது
(பணக்காரன், 1990 , சித்ராவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2643'&lang=en)

'iraNdum onROdu onRu sErndhadhu' of paNakkAran

This song is a karumbuththOttam!

Both SPB & KSC are at their sweetest and rAsa in top form as well, fixing an exclusive rhythm arrangement plus some new sounds (guitar or synth that follows each line of pallavi)! Spices with some exotic wind instrument concoction (like how they spice in karumbu juice stalls), in addition to a kombuththEn melody (typical situation of saraNam >> pallavi)! Easily the best song of the album and IIRC quite enjoyable visuals as well! (Smart-looking Rajini with gorgeous Gautami - it doesn't matter what setting & how they shake legs, body, hands & heads etc. Such a sweet song and a great pair guarantees enjoyment. Period).

Like I warned, some senti to follow - nothing romantic but related to the device shown on screen for the song - the clock!

Well, not exactly a clock but wrist watches :-)

Today, they are considered jewelry and not the primary means of time keeping. (For many years now, I don't wear one at all - as we're surrounded by devices with digital clock all the time - PC / phone / dashboard etc ; so namma wrist romba free).

However, it wasn't so 3 decades back - one depended on them on everyday basis as well as for travels. So much so that the HMT company was advertising as "timekeepers to the nation" :-)

There was this north indian college / hostel mate who had predominant body hair (> one cm long and very thick on wrist area) who was always wearing an old watch, very tightly strapped making the hair suffer / leave a mark etc and he used to talk about it to everyone (when & how his dad gifted him, how many years old, how valuable etc). I'm sure many boys of 70's & 80's had some kind of "watch tales" - even Thamizh movies featured scenes with them , like trading them in a restaurant for a meal they cannot pay, adaku vaikkal to tide over a crisis etc.

So, let me dedicate a few paras for my own "watch tale".

The first one I had was from my grandpa - a rectangular one with only 2 hands and a gray strap (possibly black when new and faded). I had it for my 6th-8th grade and by that time it was totally unreliable (ishtappattA mattum Odum) and had to be retired. That was no big issue as we lived inside school campus and 'maNi adikkum' sounds can help calculate the closest time. Then came an opportunity to get a new one!

Those days rural students had an option to write a national talent exam, based on their ranks in 8th grade and can win 2 scholorships per panchayat union. That merit scholarship can land them in selected "town schools" with all hostel & such fees covered upto 1K / year (which was more than adequate). I got it (when in 9th) but wasn't very thrilled to go to a "town school / hostel".

Well, that particular year, our school - though a village one - got added as a "host" and we were thrilled. Also, I had two options : (a) Stay in hostel & get 1K or (b) Stay day scholar & get 0.5K:-) Without question, option (b) was chosen and it meant Rs 500 per year, until end of schooling and we could keep it! For the first year, they sent a "pro-rata" amount of Rs 350 and that was my first "earning" ever :-)

A few days later, I went to school with a hmt avinash (beautiful white dial with a black circle, cost Rs 237) which had too long a chain and was worn over a handkerchief to hold in place :lol: The elderly asst-HM who took the first class (colleague & friend of appA) wasn't amused and took it to his table and worked on it for a few minutes with a safety pin obtained from a girl - removed a couple of chain segments and voila! It fitted perfectly now!

That continued till I got my first job, for about 9 years! (Then it became unreliable, pushing me to get an "automatic"). Then there were many watches / gifts etc over the years and now bare hand but that avinash cannot be forgotten :-)

p.s. With the balance money, my ammA got a saree and that was my first gift to her, bought with my own money :-)

Plum
20th March 2012, 05:18 AM
App, sorry you are right. It is mere angne mein. :senility: :(

V_S
20th March 2012, 05:59 AM
beautiful white dial with a black circle, cost Rs 237

p.s. With the balance money, my ammA got a saree and that was my first gift to her, bought with my own money :-)

Very interesting write-up App on watch tale! :smile: How come you remember the cost of your watch so accurately, after years?.

For the italics part, :notworthy: touched!

groucho070
20th March 2012, 07:32 AM
There was this north indian college / hostel mate who had predominant body hair (> one cm long and very thick on wrist area) who was always wearing an old watch, very tightly strapped making the hair suffer / leave a mark etc and he used to talk about it to everyone (when & how his dad gifted him, how many years old, how valuable etc). My dad, same. Since he worked in the field those days, the watch part would be white when he removes it. My first fifth standard examination gift was a watch, fake leather strap.

t was totally unreliable (ishtappattA mattum Odum) and had to be retired. :lol: Oh how machines, tools, etc had characters of their own. Now everything is zombie.

I may not comment on all your post app, but I am following and really appreciating :bow:

Plum
20th March 2012, 07:43 AM
Yes, yes. What persistence! Grouch and me abandoned a thread immediately after the first flop post.

app_engine
20th March 2012, 04:00 PM
nanRi V_Sji, groucho & Plum!

dig

How come you remember the cost of your watch so accurately, after years?

Like I mentioned before, this is one of those unique things that are closely remembered ("senti") (like SSLC marks, "MPC%" of HSC etc) :-)

There are two factors in addition (these will be like a typical whine by old people) :

1. Life didn't have much distractions those days. :lol: I still remember my first progress report card of 6th std (the first one ever as we didn't have one in primary school). It had the ink smudged on the rank box and 1 looked like 3 :-( I had to explain in detail how much mark difference was there between the 1st (445), 2nd (366) and 3rd (355) to my appA to convince him. (He knew it but still was playing around with me, the class sir was his badminton pal...unfortunately, per my recent phone call home, that sir with such a beautiful handwriting & great badminton skills had recently been paralyzed after a stroke)

2. Money had a lot more value and this was a huge amount. Some comparisons : Bus charges to go from village to town was 35 paisA (Rs 0.35) and in less than 10 rupees I could reach granpA's home, which the buses took >3 hours those days. Even 4 years later, my first month's mess bill was < Rs 200 at REC (the watch happened in 1977, "A" mess bill was in 1981). For that matter, the whole engg edu expenses for 4+ years was less than Rs 20K (all -even pocket money -included). On a direct number-number comparison, JUST THE COST OF BOOKS for 1st semester of my son is bigger than that :lol2:

end-dig

app_engine
20th March 2012, 04:07 PM
abandoned a thread immediately after the first flop post.

That is the difference between writing a "chiththirappAvai" & dhinathanthi news columns:-)

neenga, groucho ellAm Akilan range, app is just a reporter, that too a 'tholikkatti' type :-)

app_engine
20th March 2012, 04:14 PM
ding ding dong youtube
(hilarious, :rotfl: variety - but enjoyable)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or5pfsc8_FI

app_engine
20th March 2012, 04:16 PM
silence youtube:
(looks like Gautami wanted to imitate Rajini thru out the movie :lol:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWhPB1LzSlE&feature=relmfu

PARAMASHIVAN
20th March 2012, 04:26 PM
Param,

DeivamE :Touching feet:

Tamil seems to be most "difficult" Language to learn, Tamil Language is difficult enough, then Tamil literature :shaking:

:oops: I thought it was Singaram.

Thanks App anna

PARAMASHIVAN
20th March 2012, 04:31 PM
AFAIK, Aaram (ஆரம்) is a Tamil word, so are Poo (பூ) and Pon (பொன்) - So Poovaram and Ponnaram are pure Tamil words. Where as Singaar is a Sanskrit word loosely translated as beauty or make-up. Per Tamil grammar "Am" or "An" added to Sanskrit words to Tamilify them - Ram becomes Raman, Raaga becomes Raagam. So, even though Singram rhymes with Poovaram and Ponnaram the etymology is completely different.

Yes that many Sanskrit words have been added the "am" to sound more Tamilish :)

அப்பனே, முருகா!! இதெல்லாம் கொஞ்சம் ஓவர். why?? Kamal is one of the most handsome actors in Tamil Films .

Sureshs65
20th March 2012, 06:50 PM
Param,

Now I guess you are completely educated on what 'singari sarakku' means :lol:

PARAMASHIVAN
20th March 2012, 06:58 PM
Param,

Now I guess you are completely educated on what 'singari sarakku' means :lol:

Indeed Sir :rotfl:

Love that song though ! :thumbsup:

HonestRaj
20th March 2012, 09:11 PM

exactly... :lol:

PARAMASHIVAN
20th March 2012, 09:26 PM
exactly... :lol:

Antha padam pakala pa, ithuku pOi !

Any way Namma area (Indian History section) pakkam vaanga thayiriyum iruntha :poke:

app_engine
20th March 2012, 11:00 PM
#325 பூப்பூப்பூ பூப்பூத்த சோலை
(புது நெல்லு புது நாத்து, 1990 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2950'&lang=en)

pooppooppoo (:lol2:) from puthu nellu puthu nAththu, with SJ
(Those days, the country side not only had poo but also poop in the open)

Perhaps the only IR-BR album from which I've never played a single song in a personal player ever :shock: (Except of course the thiraippAdal playback on PC for this thread's sake). I had even 'vAlibamE vA vA' songs played on personal cassette players ('pon vAnappoongAvil' & 'azhagE unnaikkonjam' got played frequently during college hostel days). Actually, I didn't even know until recently that these songs belonged to this movie. Interestingly, I was very familiar with songs at the time of their arrival itself - thru public address systems (buses / village marriages). karuththa machchAn, poo pooththa sOlai & chittAn chittAnkuruvi were heard many times and were instantly recognized as rAsA songs but I've never realized that those were from a BR movie and not bothered to check as well :oops:

Though there was some noise about BR coming back to his 'uyirththOzhan', I wasn't amused and the apathy only increased when that movie / songs didn't have decent reach - definitely not like what IR-BR songs of the prior era had. (I must confess that recently I developed a strong love for 'kuyilukkuppam' - what a phenomenal KSC number!). Those were possibly the reasons for me not to pay any attention to this movie / album.

This song is a gem, however, with SJ at top form and well supported by our thread nAyakar. So are the other two hit numbers. Though not in the range of KK & prior albums, this album has it own limited charm. (However, not one song can even match the 'kuyilukkuppam' standard...but then rAsA was not obliged to give his creamy layer to BR anymore!)

Suganya -who was among the audience of IR's recent Chennai concert and got focussed a few times on the Jaya TV show - did her debut in this movie. Also the Trichy politician (now a central minister) Napolean acted for the first time in this movie it seems.

So, two more BR introductions who went on to achieve some fame on celluloid. I'm surprised he didn't change the name of Suganya into something starting with R :lol: (Radhika, Rathi, Rohini, Radha, Revathy, Ranjani, Rekha, Ranjitha are some of his R intros; however, Suganya is not the only exception - there were Aruna, Vijayashanthi, Subadhra...)

PARAMASHIVAN
20th March 2012, 11:08 PM
App anna,

Have you seen this song before ? One of IR and SPB's Gem :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhbkW3odJPo&feature=player_detailpage

app_engine
20th March 2012, 11:12 PM
App anna,

Have you seen this song before ? One of IR and SPB's Gem :)

I'm at workplace (no youtube)...can you specify what song is it?/

PARAMASHIVAN
20th March 2012, 11:16 PM
I'm at workplace (no youtube)...can you specify what song is it?/

Thalaiyai Kuniyum Thamaraiye song from Oru Odai Nathiyagirathu :)

app_engine
20th March 2012, 11:17 PM
Thalaiyai Kuniyum Thamaraiye song from Oru Odai Nathiyagirathu :)

Well, we covered it in this thread before and I remember posting the youtube link also (Raghuvaran & Sumalatha, IIRC)...

PARAMASHIVAN
20th March 2012, 11:22 PM
Well, we covered it in this thread before and I remember posting the youtube link also (Raghuvaran & Sumalatha, IIRC)...

Oh yes sorry :oops:

al_gates
20th March 2012, 11:47 PM
A few days later, I went to school with a hmt avinash (beautiful white dial with a black circle, cost Rs 237)

This one?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40789318@N06/4065384317/

V_S
21st March 2012, 12:05 AM
App,
One quick question. Is puthu nellu puthu naathu a 1990 film?. I remember seeing it in 1991 when it was released. Even IMDB, wiki says so. En Uyir ThOzan was in 1990.

app_engine
21st March 2012, 12:12 AM
App,
One quick question. Is puthu nellu puthu naathu a 1990 film?. I remember seeing it in 1991 when it was released. Even IMDB, wiki says so. En Uyir ThOzan was in 1990.

Good question - as you can see from my post, I didn't even notice the movie coming & going those days :-)

So, I really don't know...thiraippAdal lists this under 1990 and that's how it landed today in this thread :-)

al_gates,
I can't see the image now, will check when I reach home and comment...

app_engine
21st March 2012, 12:15 AM
I think there are only three more songs for this thread from 1990...from the movies 'nadigan' & 'ooru vittu ooru vandhu'...

app_engine
21st March 2012, 12:22 AM
ok, there's a small (rather big) change...

Some web resources state that kizhakku vAsal was a 1990 movie...(thiraippAdal counts that under 1992)... Is that so? Then we have a few more numbers...

Plum
21st March 2012, 12:28 AM
Pnpn - 1991. Kvaasal - probably 90. Kvaasal kkanmani anjali came in quick succession

V_S
21st March 2012, 01:36 AM
Yes Kizhakku Vaasal was in 1990. May be thiraipaadal got year of some films wrong.

Coming to BR-IR break-fix session, IR had totally changed his approach in the next three BR movies, including PNPN. It was totally different and great experience. Poo Poo Poo and other songs in this movie are no way inferior, even though there is not much SPB in these movies. Karutha machhan (SJ, no words there) and chittaan chittaan are enough to take on several other songs quite deservingly. Sameway, Nadodi thendral. Naadodi Thendral is one the best, if not the best BR-IR movie in terms of music (IMHO), even though we have some minor casualties. :smile: Tunes and orchestration are memorable.

V_S
21st March 2012, 01:56 AM
Suganya - did her debut in this movie. Also the Trichy politician (now a central minister) Napolean acted for the first time in this movie it seems.

So, two more BR introductions who went on to achieve some fame on celluloid.

I guess this is the only movie which had the most number of new faces in terms of even the supporting cast, apart from the hero-heroine. Suganya-Raghul - (hero, heroine), Rudra, Ashok (2nd pair), Renuka - Ponvannan (parents), Napolean (villain) and probably two more, which I could not recollect.

al_gates
21st March 2012, 05:18 AM
Here's the chronology, fellas.

Pudhu Nellu Pudhu sapling - Diwali 1991(with dalapathi, guna etc)
Ennuyir Thozhan - Feb 15 '90

al_gates
21st March 2012, 05:33 AM
Pnpn - 1991. Kvaasal - probably 90. Kvaasal kkanmani anjali came in quick succession

Plum has nailed the years plumb in front(sorry!). I drafted a post earlier in the week but it was not auto-saved for some reason. In my observation of the 80's, usually 6 to 9 months is the average life of a chartbuster song those days. So even though Raja had like 9 albums releasing for Diwali 89, the frequently heard ones were from movies like Peculiar Brothers and Varsham-16 released in the summer. It was only around Feb 90 that I heard Vetrivila and Karagattakaran songs(good 3 months after their release) while traveling around in the city.

So yeah, it takes 2-3 months for a song to pick up airtime after the movie's release. This is because TV sets had not yet proliferated into tier 2 and tier 3 cities of Tamil Nadu. It is usually Oliyum oliyum which is your first window to spot a potential hit.

The summer of 90 had us focussing on the soccer world cup. Tamil New year 90 had no major IR album but it gave Pudhu Vasantham. The 2nd half of '90 started with Kizhakkuvaasal, Mounam Sammadham getting lot of time on Oliyum Oliyum. Even though Keladi kanmani was released on the same day as Kizhakkuvaasal, it took about a month before people started noticing Mannil Indha or Nee Paathi naan paathi. But this is just my perception, since I was not the kind to read Vikatan or other tamil mags :)
In my area, Sundari Neeyum was the most heard of song in the 2nd half of 1990. It remained so till Chinnathambi came along in Apr 91.

And yeah, Sep 90 had India go to the Beijing Asian games where India turned in a terrific performance(1 gold to China's 183, thanks to our national sport Kabbadi).

app_engine
21st March 2012, 09:02 AM
This one?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40789318@N06/4065384317/

No, it was a milk-white dial (no shine) with a black circle having the "scale marks" :-)

BTW, nice chronology recall!

app_engine
21st March 2012, 09:04 AM
poo poo poo youtuboo :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o71bRtQ3hw

Divine22
21st March 2012, 01:40 PM
Scintillating 90's ....

:bow: App sir, for your stupendous write ups... So fast the 80's has finished. And as the 90's moving on,,,it's kinda sad though...
the number of songs are decreasing....

Nice going !!! Thanks :)

Murali Srinivas
21st March 2012, 11:13 PM
Pudhu Nellu Puthu Nathu was released in March 1991 and not during Deepavali '91. En Uyir Thozhan was 1990. Nadodi Thendral was April 1992. After this BR-IR combo separated and then came BR's Captain Magal and Kizhakku Seemaiyile in 1993, Karuthamma in '94, Pasum Pon in '95, Thamizh Selvan IPS in '96 and Taj Mahal on deepavali day of 99 [after which I, rather everybody lost interest in his movies].

Regards

V_S
21st March 2012, 11:15 PM
[after which I, rather everybody lost interest regarding his movies]
:lol:

Thank you Murali sir for the details.

app_engine
22nd March 2012, 12:57 AM
nanRi Divine22, for the kind words!

So fast the 80's has finished.

ennanga ippidi solleetteenga, mukki mukki almost munnooRu nAL ezhudhi irukkEn :-)

nanRi Murali sir, for the accurate chronology!

The PNPN song is a slip in this thread...one of the few rare cases (earlier I missed 'samaiyal pAdamE' and caught up with that in a later year, here poo poo poo song came as a mundhirikkottai)

app_engine
22nd March 2012, 01:46 AM
#326 எங்கே நிம்மதி நிம்மதி என்று தேடிப்பார்த்தேன்
(நடிகன், 1990) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2244'&lang=en)

'engE nimmadhi nimmadhi enRu thEdippArththEn' from nadigan

An interesting SPB solo from a Sathyaraj movie (possibly a loLLu kind, with gounder in cast) that I've heard a few times on buses and other PA systems. I don't know for sure whether this movie was a big hit or this song got played all around TN at the time of arrival. However, going purely by my "involuntary-listening-for-a-few-times-at-least" criteria, this song makes it to this thread.

Honestly the song didn't automatically play in my mind when I saw the listing on thiraippAdal and I was wondering whether this was a 'remix' of the TMS-MSV-TKR classic from pudhiya paRavai. There was even a mild indication in the prelude that it could be. However, when SPB starts off, I recognized the song immediately as something familiar from the past :-) A typical rAsA number which cannot be called a "100% pathos" but one that carries a variety of emotions - both by melody / singing and the orchestration. (Who cares what is written as lyrics for rAsA songs and songs like these only help to enhance such apathy)!

al_gates
22nd March 2012, 05:08 AM
Pudhu Nellu Puthu Nathu was released in March 1991 and not during Deepavali '91. En Uyir Thozhan was 1990. Nadodi Thendral was April 1992. After this BR-IR combo separated and then came BR's Captain Magal and Kizhakku Seemaiyile in 1993, Karuthamma in '94, Pasum Pon in '95, Thamizh Selvan IPS in '96 and Taj Mahal on deepavali day of 97 [after which I, rather everybody lost interest in his movies].

Regards

Anyday I will take Murali Sir's data instead of cinesouth.com (from which I got the release dates) :smile2:
Thanks Murali Sir :bow: :bow: :bow:

PARAMASHIVAN
22nd March 2012, 03:25 PM
#326 எங்கே நிம்மதி நிம்மதி என்று தேடிப்பார்த்தேன்
(நடிகன், 1990) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2244'&lang=en)

'engE nimmadhi nimmadhi enRu thEdippArththEn' from nadigan

I really like this song, it is kind of nakaal fying life's problems. SPB adds various emotions for each nakkals, really like the lyrics! Not to mention Sathyaraj's extra nakkalas :lol:

engae nimmadhi
nimmadhi
endru thaedi paarthaen
adhu engaeyum illa

engae nimmadhi
nimmadhi
endru thaedi paarthaen
adhu engaeyum illa

yaararo vanthaanga
ennennavo sonnanga
enna solli
ennatha panna
nimmathi illa
manushanukku
nimmathi illa

engae nimmadhi
nimmadhi
endru thaedi paarthaen
adhu engaeyum illa

engae nimmadhi
nimmadhi
endru thaedi paarthaen
adhu engaeyum illa

pallikoodam padikkumbothu
paadathilae
nimmadhi illa

paadamindri vidumurai
endraal
kaasu indri
nimmadhi illa

kaasukkaaga
maelae padikka
kallooriyil seatum illa

seatum kidaithu
pattamum kidaithaal
vaelai indri
nimmadhi illa

thunbam marakka
veliyae sendraal
pennai kandu
nimmadhi illa :lol2:

pennai ninaithu
paduppom endraal
kanavinilum
nimmadhi illa

alai pola alainthaadum
manathukku ingae
konjam nimmadhi varumaa

engae nimmadhi
nimmadhi
endru thaedi paarthaen
adhu engaeyum illa

engae nimmadhi
nimmadhi
endru thaedi paarthaen
adhu engaeyum illa

thaayin thunbam theerpom endru
vaelaikaaga vaesham pottaen

vaayil vantha poiyai cholli
nalla paerum vaangi kondaen

vantha idathil vaaliba vayathu
vazhakkam pola vaelaiyai kaatta

mandhahaasa punnaigaiyaalae
kanniyar padum kaadhalai cholla

nonthu pona manathukkullae
vanthu vanthu pogum kizhavi :rotfl: (this where Manoramma patti will be after Sathyraj thinking he was a thatha ):rotfl:

indha nilaiyil evan irunthaalum
aaga vaendum avanae thuravi

irunthaalum ponaalum
nimmadhi varuma
manushanukku
nimmadhi varuma

engae nimmadhi
nimmadhi
endru thaedi paarthaen
adhu engaeyum illa

engae nimmadhi
nimmadhi
endru thaedi paarthaen
adhu engaeyum illa

yaararo vanthaanga
ennennavo sonnanga
enna solli ennatha panna
nimmathi illa manushanukku
nimmathi illa

engae nimmadhi
nimmadhi endru thaedi paarthaen
adhu engaeyum illa

engae nimmadhinimmadhi
endru thaedi paarthaen
adhu engaeyum illahei

Murali Srinivas
22nd March 2012, 08:19 PM
<dig
Sorry guys, Taj Mahal was 1999 Deepavali release along with Mudhalvan. While I was thinking it of as 99 movie, I wrote 97. Still remember somebody known to my friend [who had come along with me for watching Mudhalvan on that Deepavali day] bashing that movie while waiting for the evening show of Mudhalvan to start. Probably I could understand, that he seeing the combo of BR-MR-ARR went with lot of expectations and that did him.

Thanks V-S, Al-gates and app.

end dig>

Regards

app_engine
23rd March 2012, 12:58 AM
#327 தேவ மல்லிகைப்பூவே பூவே
(நடிகன், 1990 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2245'&lang=en)

'dEva malligaippoovE poovE' of nadigan with SJ

Sweet duet from my favourite pair...Once again, I don't know whether this song was very popular inside TN but I have familiarity with the song and definitely heard it a few times on buses. Nice drum work and pleasant singing by the ace singers. I'm sure it wasn't too much of a strain for either of them and not too much of a work for rAsA either. Light-weight song for a light-weight film...

Since none talked anything about this movie after my first post yesterday (whether a hit etc), I thought of finding out from google. The first stop, obviously, is wikipedia even though it's not so reliable w.r.t. TF data. It says the movie was a BB, had a silver jubilee run etc :shock: Was it the time around which people were building temple for Kushboo? :confused:

The SR-GM combo should have been definitely interesting but silver jubilee material? Well, anything is possible in TN BO where a horrible remake of maNichithraththAzh by the same director (P Vasu) holds the record for maximum number of days...

app_engine
23rd March 2012, 01:13 AM
There are two other songs listed under nadigan that have SPB but I've never heard them before and cannot post about.

Those are in thiraippAdal at the following links :
AttamA pAttamA (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2242'&lang=en), a wind instrument solo delight

adi veLuththukkattu (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2243'&lang=en), duet with KSC who sounds like SPS in this

genesis
23rd March 2012, 03:55 AM
Since none talked anything about this movie after my first post yesterday (whether a hit etc), I thought of finding out from google. The first stop, obviously, is wikipedia even though it's not so reliable w.r.t. TF data. It says the movie was a BB, had a silver jubilee run etc :shock: Was it the time around which people were building temple for Kushboo? :confused:

The SR-GM combo should have been definitely interesting but silver jubilee material? Well, anything is possible in TN BO where a horrible remake of maNichithraththAzh by the same director (P Vasu) holds the record for maximum number of days...

1) I do not think it was a block buster hit... but definitely it was a moderate hit (may be the biggest for SR that year).
2) AFAIK, this movie did not run for Kushbu, but for SR-GM-Manorama comedy track. Particularly SR "flirting" with Manorama and GM's reactions to that is a "must-watch" IMO.

V_S
23rd March 2012, 04:09 AM
Not to forget 'Is'land Estate by Venniraadai Moorthy:lol:. Yes Annan-SR-Aachi were the highlight of the film, especially Annan. App, All songs were super-hits. AattamA PaattamA is a stunner and my pick of the whole soundtrack. Maestro changes the percussion between pallavi and charanam with enormous ease. Some how I get a connection to KELadi En PaavayE (Gopura VaasalilE) whenever I hear this song and vice versa.

app_engine
23rd March 2012, 07:19 AM
nanRi genesis & V_Sji for the details about the movie :-)

App, All songs were super-hits

So, it looks like two more numbers for the 'missed-by-app-list' :-)

groucho070
23rd March 2012, 07:26 AM
I think its first time for Sathyaraj to do all-out comedy. He had touches of humour here and there before that, but this is the film that, I believe, first saw the comedic spark he shared with annan that were to continue in many other films later. Very very ordinary story made special by wonderful talents. Kushboo still green, innum temple level-ukku varala (which I believe was around Annamalai?)

PARAMASHIVAN
23rd March 2012, 03:37 PM
2) AFAIK, this movie did not run for Kushbu, but for SR-GM-Manorama comedy track. Particularly SR "flirting" with Manorama and GM's reactions to that is a "must-watch" IMO.

Yes, it was SR and Annan's movie all the way, Deadly combo, when it comes to lollu :thumbsup:

app_engine
24th March 2012, 01:09 AM
#328 தானா வந்த சந்தனமே
(ஊரு விட்டு ஊரு வந்து, 1990 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2450'&lang=en)

'thAnA vandha sandhanamE' of ooru vittu ooru vandhu with SJ

The song 'sorgamE enRAlum, adhu nammoorappOla varumA' sung by IR from this film has become some sort of anthem for all the thamizharkaL who live outside (but love) their sondha ooru. More so in the case of people who work at far away places like gulf / far east & far west. That way, it has become an extremely popular song in the web world (also the youtube possibly), more than any other song from the movie, over the years. However, I am not very sure whether that was the most popular number at the time of release of this movie that has the title named after the big hit from karagam. I've definitely heard sorgamE a lot those days but also this SPB-SJ sweetie hit on an equal number of occasions.

Another interesting thing about this album is the exclusive use of SJ as the female singer, when KSC seemed to be more preferred. She got to sing the sorgamE with rAsA and this sandhanamE with SPB. She adds to the sweetness without doubt in both cases but IMO it is the male singer who gets first prize in both these numbers. I think age started to show a little bit starting from this year on periyammA.

I don't think the movie had a decent run (definitely nothing compared to the huge karagam that happened with the same hero / director combo the prior year). Nevertheless, the songs did score very well to reach the hearts of the people. Strong in themmAngu melody combined with sweet orchestration ensured their longevity in the minds of the people. No doubt the album wasn't anywhere near karagam but it has its own folk charm :-)

On a personal note, though I've listened to these songs many times during my travel inside TN, I've never connected them with this movie or GA...it was years later they came into existence that I knew the movie name, grAmarAjan etc...

app_engine
24th March 2012, 01:14 AM
There's another SPB-SJ duet "ikku chchai ikku chchai ikku chchaiyyA" (groucho may know the meaning of it, I'm sure none in TN can translate) that I've not heard before and hence fails to make it to this thread at this point of time.
(If was a hit indeed, please feel free to add to the 'missed' listtu :-) )

app_engine
24th March 2012, 06:08 PM
thAnA vantha sandhanamE youtube:
(Look at grAmarAjan's shirts :lol:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9rXbjKc1U4

tvsankar
25th March 2012, 12:14 AM
app,
ellam padichindu iruken. Great Works..... Sweet Memories.............. romba porupa, list panni, kondu poreenga.
unmaiya enjoy panren......... book la padikara madhiiri.............. Thanks for ur Service app...........................

rajeshkrv
25th March 2012, 01:38 AM
o azhagu nilavu sirikka maranadhathe from my dear marthandan was equally popular and earned Mano his state award

V_S
25th March 2012, 04:06 AM
App,
What a song!. You are right! Sorgame Endraalum is like a wild forest fire, which spreads quickly this one captures our heart and entire body and brings in the hunger within ourselves, wanting for more, while Thaana vantha sandhanamE is like a torrential down pour with its sweetest taste and flavor to put that fire off. Thaana Vantha Sandhaname is one of the sweetest duet of all time (is there any other word for describing its sweetness, it is that sweet of a song). Listening to pallavi is like standing in the midst of the rain showers, charanam is like the smell of our land getting into us, when the rain drops first kisses our land. Finest singing by the premier playback pair!

See who got this lucky one! Only our Ramarajan!

app_engine
25th March 2012, 04:15 AM
நன்றி உஷாக்கா, எங்கே ஹப்பில் கொஞ்ச நாளா காணோம்?
ரொம்ப பிஸியா இருக்கீங்க போலிருக்கு...

Great illustration, as always, V_Sji!
:thumbsup:

app_engine
25th March 2012, 04:18 AM
We have one more film - a late recognition, kizhakku vAsal - pending in 1990...which I believe has 3 SPB hits and should cover the weekend and Monday...

tvsankar
25th March 2012, 04:59 PM
app,
hub ku varen. password thedi.. enter aradhuku - time illa. ehhhe.. FB la busy.. vera onum illa..
hub ku varen inime app..........

groucho070
26th March 2012, 08:34 AM
There's another SPB-SJ duet "ikku chchai ikku chchai ikku chchaiyyA" (groucho may know the meaning of it, I'm sure none in TN can translate) that I've not heard before and hence fails to make it to this thread at this point of time.:lol: whatever made you think so. On a serious note, I shall consult junior :smokesmile:

PARAMASHIVAN
26th March 2012, 04:55 PM
thAnA vantha sandhanamE youtube:
(Look at grAmarAjan's shirts :lol:)

:rotfl:

app_engine
26th March 2012, 08:20 PM
:lol: whatever made you think so.

appadi illeenga, I thought the movie is shot in Malaysia and it may be in your language (much like 'ennuyir nee thAnE' of Priya) :-)

Well, now I know that's not :-)

So, it's one of those 'jingu chakkA, jAngu chakku jajakku chakku' stuff...

app_engine
27th March 2012, 03:09 AM
#329 பாடிப்பறந்த கிளி
(கிழக்கு வாசல், 1990) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1684'&lang=en)

'pAdippaRantha kiLi' of kizhakku vAsal

I think this movie by RV Udhayakumar was a bit hit for Karthik. I remember listening to the songs everywhere - buses / functions etc - thru out early and mid-90's. However when they arrived in 1990, I didn't recognize them or the movie, due to many things happening at the personal front. (So much so that I couldn't even catch such a big hit album missed by thiraippAdal in the listing for year 1990).

I haven't watched the movie yet, though youtube-viewed some of the songs. This song is an emotional number very well sung by SPB, with limited orchestration by rAsA. Nice melody but the major strength that contributed to the success is definitely SPB (& may be the movie's hit status). The lyrics are decent as well (possibly by the director himself as he was known to write songs also). No IR specialities otherwise, IMHO. That way, not a big personal favourite that I will play on repeat but happy for its hit status :-)

The movie had 'ada veettukku veettukku vAsappadi' in rAsA voice which was a huge hit as well. Supposedly inspired from a WCM piece but brilliantly localized as a folk song, proving that in the hands of a wizard, any form of music can be treated with alchemy. That song, is a big personal favourite :-)

app_engine
27th March 2012, 03:23 AM
#330 தளுக்கித்தளுக்கி வந்து
(கிழக்கு வாசல், 1990) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1686'&lang=en)

'thaLukkiththaLukki vandhu' of kizhakku vAsal

Very enjoyable folk number that can boast of some brilliant rAsA arrangements and kuRumbu singing by SPB. The second interlude with shehnAi / flute and mild straying away from tablA into other kinds of drums is quite interesting. One should contrast this song with all the songs of kAsi to appreciate what value SPB (or MV) can typically add to rAsA's folk numbers. (BTW, I like the kAsi songs despite the gloominess they can throw one in ; but have the opinion that HH was a very poor choice for that album and he single handedly massacred the songs).

Not just that second interlude, I think in many ways this song is a forerunner for the kAsi album in construct & feel. As I don't know the song's background in the movie, I don't want to comment about the sichchuvEshan or reasons for the style / construct. As this movie is in one of my longtime "to watch" list, I don't want to read any spoilers also. (Why "to-watch"? It should be obvious from my next post - for my most fav song from this album which is also one of the all-time top favourites among ALL IR/SPB songs).

Much like pAdippARantha kiLi, this song too was listened to only on PA systems when they were hot. I never had it in any of my personal collections. An OK song but not among the best of IR-SPB that demands a lot of repeat listens...

app_engine
27th March 2012, 03:49 AM
#331 பச்ச மலைப்பூவு நீ உச்சி மலைத்தேனு
(கிழக்கு வாசல், 1990) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1685'&lang=en)

'pachcha malappoovu nee uchchi malaiththEnu' of kizhakku vAsal

AhA, what a sweet tablA-flute delight from the masterly combination of rAsA & SPB! An evergreen fantastic melody that had been many times posted about in the 'last heard rAsA song thread' by me. I learnt from Sureshji that this has a Malayalam avatar also as 'enthu paranjAlum' in a Sathyan Anthikkad movie (which itself is a big recognition for this number, as not many rAsA numbers get transported from Thamizh to Malayalam while the other way around happens all the time).

The song has superb visuals too (Revathy on oonjal and Karthik singing to make her sleep on a moonlit night) and that is the reason I want to watch the rest of the movie! Well, I'll get to that some day :-) I'll rate this song among the best solos of SPB under any MD and will definitely include this in the top ten of IR-SPB solos of all-time. Such a sweet delight that can go on repeat for days and weeks on my car! SPB's performance in this song is another text book in playback singing! Raja beautifies it with string sections too and makes one take an emotional trip to never-visited-places and creates rOmAnjam in many places in this song! I will even go to the extent of calling this song a "life-time-achievement" by the legends!

The obvious question now could be - if I have so much of liking for this song, how come I don't even know the year of its release...well, I got connected to this song so strongly very late - only in the year 2000 :oops: On a lazy evening in that year, I picked a cassette named "IR's tabla hits" from a small shop in kal maNdapam of Palakkad (an area where lot of Thamizh people live) while waiting for a friend or something like that. It was years after even tfmpage relationship :-) From that time onwards, the song had been heard 1000s of times on the car! (That cassette itself was a big hit even while in India, during long rides on the Indica).

How did I miss getting a personal copy of this beauty in 1990? Well, it could be that the movie / songs arrived during the time when I was out of action due to an accident for 3 months (kAl odinja bedla thAn kidakka mudiyum, kaiyum vERa in plaster - due to bike-truck heads on...with access to only hindu paper that didn't carry much TF/TFM news...family, phone calls and visitors were big entertainment anyways with strictly no TV. Visitors typically came sadly but went back happily (seeing me alive & convalescing and cracking dry jokes - e.g. one fellow's Q: "did you lose a lot of blood" ; my ans: "irundhA dhAna lose paNNa")

Possibly this movie & songs came and went during that time...what followed in life was quick ramp-up at workplace followed by the big-life-event (kAl kattu of a different kind, not made with plaster of paris) and movie-TFM-songs-their-stats-etc weren't big priorities ever after :lol2:

V_S
27th March 2012, 04:42 AM
App,
Beautiful posts on Kizakku Vaasal songs. :clap: You said it all. Big favorite for everyone, no exceptions. We mainly went for Kushboo. Not sure you will like the movie now, but still should be watchable.
Sad to know that you got hurt during that time.

groucho070
27th March 2012, 08:12 AM
appadi illeenga, I thought the movie is shot in Malaysia and it may be in your language (much like 'ennuyir nee thAnE' of Priya) :-)

Well, now I know that's not :-)

So, it's one of those 'jingu chakkA, jAngu chakku jajakku chakku' stuff...Shot in Singapore like Priya. And yes, we share the same languages. It's definitely one of those things IR conjured up that the lazy lyricists would include, methinks.

aNNan: Ithu entha oor? Singapoore....

By the way, not exactly aNNan's best comedy. Missed opportunity.

groucho070
27th March 2012, 08:15 AM
e.g. one fellow's Q: "did you lose a lot of blood" ; my ans: "irundhA dhAna lose paNNa") :lol: Glad you came out of it fine. :smile:

Plum
27th March 2012, 08:30 AM
I remember the accident story app. You have written about it. I think you mentioned you were abandoned on the road and some co. Owner in a car finally took you to hospitaal. Horror tale!

app_engine
27th March 2012, 10:00 AM
nanRi, V_Sji & groucho!

Yes Plum, I remember mentioning about that accident in the hub before :-)

Chandrika soap company owner family's car took me to KG...and there was this amateur magician - who got out of his bus, stopped the traffic and took charge of the whole situation. He convinced the people in the car...well, there were a bunch of good samaritans that day, including the head of KG who came to the gate, hearing the noise I made when the security wanted me to be taken to Gov H & instantly agreed to take me in...(Interestingly, the ortho doctor who did complete "repair" of bones still remembers me and has even recently enquired about me - when my father visited a patient in the hospital and happened to meet him in the corridor)...eththanai eththanai nalla manidharkaL!

my fav hospital website (http://www.kghospital.com/index.html)

I shouted "Dr please give me anasthesia"

He (who is in the picture below) said " How can I do that if you're in the car? Come inside!"
http://www.kghospital.com/images/Chairman.jpg

Sureshs65
27th March 2012, 10:28 AM
app,

'pachacha mala poovu' did get a Malayalam avatar in 'endhu paranjalum'. The beauty is the way Raja tweaks the tune so that it sounds completely different and give a totally different perspective. It is a song which touches the heart. 'pachamala poovu' is a favorite of mine but since I heard 'endhu paranjalum' I more titled towards it :)

Here is 'endhu paranjalaum':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWoPkd8Fj_M

Didn't know about your accident. As groucho says, glad that you came out of it fine.

rajkumarc
27th March 2012, 10:50 AM
Great posts App on all the 90s songs far. Lot of them are personal favorites. Shocked to know about the accident you had, bike-truck headon is the worst thing possible, glad to know that you are hale & healthy after that.

KG hospital was definitely famous in the early days before the arrival of other private hospitals like KMCH etc in CBE. It did come down in standards a lot, the dead body admission scene in Ramana was rumored to have happened for real in KG hospital. Not sure how true that rumor is.

groucho070
27th March 2012, 11:18 AM
Here is 'endhu paranjalaum':

:shock: Jeez guys, if you have not mentioned it I would not have known its relation with Pacchamalapoo. It's really different. Wow.

app_engine
27th March 2012, 06:42 PM
nanRi Sureshji, for the kind comments & the enthu paranjAlum youtube! I'm glad to be alive and tell the story :-)

nanRi rajkumarc, for reading & the wishes :-)

pacha malappoovu youtube :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoIrcHu0BL8

PARAMASHIVAN
27th March 2012, 06:54 PM
நன்றி உஷாக்கா, எங்கே ஹப்பில் கொஞ்ச நாளா காணோம்?
ரொம்ப பிஸியா இருக்கீங்க போலிருக்கு...

Yes Avanga Face book Admin now :)

App anna

Sad to hear about your accident and great write ups as usual. BTW, watch Kizhaku Vaasal! Very enjoyable film, esp Kushboo :lol2:

app_engine
27th March 2012, 08:57 PM
nanRi Param, I'll try catch the movie somehow in the near future!

BTW, a pleasant experience with my Chennai team mate yesterday (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8964-Song-of-the-Open-Road-(Latest-song-heard-Part-9)&p=836645&viewfull=1#post836645) on an SPB-IR song :-)

I'm a little sad that I caught him to be loving rAsA music only when I'm about to leave the team (we've been on phone calls almost daily, for the last 1.5 years :oops:)

app_engine
27th March 2012, 10:27 PM
Well, the year 1990 has ended with that great song from eastern entrance!

And it's time to compile the links, before posting an awesome song from 1991 :-)

app_engine
27th March 2012, 10:47 PM
All the links for 1989 and prior years can be traced from this post :-) (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%AA%E0%A F%8D%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81-%E0%AE%85%E0%AE%B0%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%8D%E0%A E%A4%E0%AE%99%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%8D-songs&p=828277&viewfull=1#post828277)

Here are the links for 1990 SPB-IR hits :

#317 rAththiri nEraththil (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%AA%E0%A F%8D%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81-%E0%AE%85%E0%AE%B0%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%8D%E0%A E%A4%E0%AE%99%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%8D-songs&p=828281&viewfull=1#post828281)
#318 maNNil indhakkAdhal inRi (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%AA%E0%A F%8D%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81-%E0%AE%85%E0%AE%B0%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%8D%E0%A E%A4%E0%AE%99%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%8D-songs&p=828995&viewfull=1#post828995)
#319 rambambam Arambam (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%AA%E0%A F%8D%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81-%E0%AE%85%E0%AE%B0%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%8D%E0%A E%A4%E0%AE%99%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%8D-songs&p=829809&viewfull=1#post829809)
#320 pAkku veththala pOttEn paththala (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%AA%E0%A F%8D%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81-%E0%AE%85%E0%AE%B0%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%8D%E0%A E%A4%E0%AE%99%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%8D-songs&p=830525&viewfull=1#post830525)
#321 uttAlakkadi (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%AA%E0%A F%8D%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81-%E0%AE%85%E0%AE%B0%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%8D%E0%A E%A4%E0%AE%99%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%8D-songs&p=831258&viewfull=1#post831258)
#322 iLavattam kai thattum dum dum (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%AA%E0%A F%8D%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81-%E0%AE%85%E0%AE%B0%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%8D%E0%A E%A4%E0%AE%99%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%8D-songs&p=831806&viewfull=1#post831806)
#323 silence kAdhal seyyum nEram idhu (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%AA%E0%A F%8D%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81-%E0%AE%85%E0%AE%B0%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%8D%E0%A E%A4%E0%AE%99%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%8D-songs&p=832518&viewfull=1#post832518)
#324 iraNdum onROdu onRu sErndhadhu (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%AA%E0%A F%8D%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81-%E0%AE%85%E0%AE%B0%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%8D%E0%A E%A4%E0%AE%99%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%8D-songs&p=832585&viewfull=1#post832585)
#325 poo poo poo poo pooththa sOlai (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%AA%E0%A F%8D%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81-%E0%AE%85%E0%AE%B0%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%8D%E0%A E%A4%E0%AE%99%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%8D-songs&p=833290&viewfull=1#post833290)
#326 engE nimmadhi nimmadhi enRu thEdippArththEn (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%AA%E0%A F%8D%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81-%E0%AE%85%E0%AE%B0%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%8D%E0%A E%A4%E0%AE%99%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%8D-songs&p=833909&viewfull=1#post833909)
#327 dEva malligaippoovE poovE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%AA%E0%A F%8D%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81-%E0%AE%85%E0%AE%B0%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%8D%E0%A E%A4%E0%AE%99%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%8D-songs&p=834381&viewfull=1#post834381)
#328 thAnA vandha sandhanamE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%AA%E0%A F%8D%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81-%E0%AE%85%E0%AE%B0%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%8D%E0%A E%A4%E0%AE%99%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%8D-songs&p=834922&viewfull=1#post834922)
#329 pAdippaRantha kiLi (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%AA%E0%A F%8D%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81-%E0%AE%85%E0%AE%B0%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%8D%E0%A E%A4%E0%AE%99%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%8D-songs&p=836092&viewfull=1#post836092)
#330 thaLukkiththaLukki vandhu (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%AA%E0%A F%8D%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81-%E0%AE%85%E0%AE%B0%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%8D%E0%A E%A4%E0%AE%99%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%8D-songs&p=836093&viewfull=1#post836093)
#331 pachcha malappoovu (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%AA%E0%A F%8D%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81-%E0%AE%85%E0%AE%B0%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%8D%E0%A E%A4%E0%AE%99%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%8D-songs&p=836096&viewfull=1#post836096)

app_engine
27th March 2012, 11:55 PM
#332 அடி ராக்கம்மா கையத்தட்டு
(தளபதி, 1991, ஸ்வர்ணலதாவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3495'&lang=en)

'adi rAkkammA kaiyaththattu' from thaLabathi, with Swarnalatha

No intro needed for this all-time-biggie from a Rajinikanth movie that also had Mammootty & Shobana, under MR's direction :-)

This is the first Swarnalatha song that we're posting about, in this series here. I didn't know the fact that she was from Palakkad during the time I lived there. She got introduced to TFM by another Palakkadan, MSV (well, he wasn't from that town but from that district). A singer with a very different voice and excellent singing capabilities...alas , passed away so young :-(

The top part of the song, to me, is the prelude and one gets a full course meal with just that and gets a 'vayiRu neRanja' feeling even before SPB starts singing :-) SPB does a great job as well and the interludes are exquisite too. Lot of creativity, brilliance & hard work had gone into this superb number, without any doubt. Like I mentioned earlier somewhere, if I'm asked to pick just one thing to look forward to from IR in TFM for the future, it will undoubtedly be an album with MR (feature / non-feature / docu doesn't matter).

The movie was great - possibly the first to get a two-theater-release in that Keralite town (though for only a few days and then reduced to one), with huge crowds chocking the narrow street. I had both this & Guna cassettes much before the arrival of the movies, enjoyed them and watched this movie with my wife in "Aroma" theater.

The Rajini-Shobana / Rajini-Mammootty / Rajini-Banupriya-Child portions were quite enjoyable but others were so-so. Overall, there was some dissatisfaction when I watched the first time, mainly because I couldn't place the setting in any TN locality :-( That geography was the main problem for this movie (thootthukkudi fits the violence perfectly but the otherwise setting doesn't suggest that...Nellai is another possibility but that's not a water-starved town...Ramnad? Could be but I've never been there and can't say). Subsequent viewings on TV were more enjoyable (because of the FF / pick & choose / focus on BGM kind of aspects).

One of the best performances of Rajini, without doubt. May be second only to MM.

al_gates
28th March 2012, 12:02 AM
Still remember somebody known to my friend [who had come along with me for watching Mudhalvan on that Deepavali day] bashing that movie while waiting for the evening show of Mudhalvan to start.

Murali Sir should write a book called Great Expectations : which outlines the movies released from 70s onwards, complete with pre-movie exchanges like this and post-movie exchanges with his grandpa. That will be terrific amount of fun to read :)

V_S
28th March 2012, 04:03 AM
The top part of the song, to me, is the prelude and one gets a full course meal with just that and gets a 'vayiRu neRanja' feeling even before SPB starts singing
:thumbsup: Nice post App. I watched Thalapathi and Guna back to back in Chidambaram. My friends were making fun of me as I wanted to watch Guna repeatedly (did so too) and they were asking me to accompany them for Thalabathy. Much to their favor and fun, Guna didn't show up good that time. It was a memorable movie watching experience, both of them.

groucho070
28th March 2012, 06:42 AM
The opening violin is my SMS notification ringtone. Used to scare the shit of my colleagues (my dept remba quiet) so much so that I've put it in silent mode. But what an opening!

app_engine
28th March 2012, 09:43 AM
nanRi, V_Sji!

youtube of 'adi sonAli bindrE kaiyaththattu'
(she was an ad model at that time, I think):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNGlTT_B8fE

genesis
28th March 2012, 11:08 PM
nanRi, V_Sji!

youtube of 'adi sonAli bindrE kaiyaththattu'
(she was an ad model at that time, I think):

That's not Sonali Bendre. Her name is Sonu Walia (One of the less known Hindi actress... I guess Kushbu wave was too strong and TN movie watchers wanted to see more fair skin northies, so annan GV signs her up - I am unable to accept she could be MR's choice... MR generally has some class - Sonali Bendre in Antha Arabic Kadaloram, Malaika Arora in Dil Se, Mallika Sherawat in Guru).

And Kuyili(?! Reallly Mani?) in Nila Adhu vanaththu Mela... (I am confused)

genesis
28th March 2012, 11:58 PM
I like the kAsi songs despite the gloominess they can throw one in ; but have the opinion that HH was a very poor choice for that album and he single handedly massacred the songs

Your criticism of HH is unfair (even though I am not a big fan of Kasi songs). HH is a good singer and he has sung few good songs for IR also.

Ennai Thalatta Varuvalo - Kadhalukku Mariyadhai
Nilavu Pattu - Kannukkul Nilavu

He has sung many more good songs for other MDs (Deva in particular). It is unfortunate the HFM does not use HH as much as they should.

If you have not noticed, almost all singers are very restrained when singing for Raja (including Chitra). It could be mostly out of respect or fear or a combination of two. IMHO, only SPB and SJ are able to take lot of freedom with Raja. (Even SPB is does less gimmicks when singing for Raja, you should listen him some non-IR Telugu songs).

It is not always the ingredients, some time fault is with the cook.

app_engine
29th March 2012, 12:16 AM
#333 காட்டுக்குயிலு மனசுக்குள்ள பாட்டுக்கொன்னும் பஞ்சமில்ல
(தளபதி, 1991 , ஏசுதாசுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3492'&lang=en)

kAttukkuyilu manasukkuLLa from thaLapathi, with KJY

Well, this is the first song we feature in this series where both my favourites had sung together :-) We had to wait for >300 days and that many songs to finally get to this combo. We had every other possible combo before (even Mano & SPB :lol2:) but this is the first one with Dasettan in our listing! Not that they haven't done songs together before albeit rarely. For e.g. thirisoolam had that 'iraNdu kaikaL nAngAnAl' song but it was music by MSV. I don't remember any other rAsA song having SPB & KJY prior to this number...(And, such a song should have automatically been a hit, someone please correct me if one exists).

The legends had an opportunity recently to sing this song together on stage, with rAsA around, in the recent Jaya TV concert :-) They both had so much of energy and the mutual appreciation was pretty obvious. The song itself has so much of energy packed into it - with lovely drum work and a great first interlude. (That first interlude part is my favourite portion on-screen also). Though many of my co-workers -who were big M fans- disliked the song and the movie, it didn't bother me. Each one of the scenes where both these great actors shared screen space was extremely enjoyable, including the 'EnnA nee en naNban' scene (not 'naNbEn dA' as mistakenly referred by many on the net world).

Quite enjoyable lines too - many people love the 'natpaikkooda kaRpaippOla eNNuvEn' line by Vaali. KarNan's senjORRukkadan based natpu is quite prasiththam for any who read the epic in some form. Me read in ambulimAmA first and then in many other forms...haven't watched NT's karNan - which is now re-released in TN and reported to be making waves. I think thaLapathi was a pretty neat take / interpretation of the Duryothanan -Kannan aka KarNan relationship (read Kannan with reNdu suzhi na & not moonu suzhi Na which refers to the blue colored mischievous fellow & one of the dasAvathArams - totally missing in this movie...we have vil veeran Arjun though, telling 'machchamillai machchamillai' :lol2:).

Great song, big hit, still enjoyable after many years!

app_engine
29th March 2012, 12:21 AM
Her name is Sonu Walia

:oops:

my miss...not good with vadakkaththi nadikai peyarkaL that sound similar (they too deliberatly confuse us frequently, like kareena-kareeshmA etc)

app_engine
29th March 2012, 12:25 AM
It is not always the ingredients, some time fault is with the cook.

Agreed, he didn't pick the right ingredient for kAsi songs :wink:

Also, he gave too many songs to HH :-(

buggle
29th March 2012, 02:01 AM
a_e sir, i believe Dhalapathi was 1991 Deepavali release which would be sometime around October, what happened to movies from Jan-October in 1991?
No SPB/IR combo?cmon cannot be.....

app_engine
29th March 2012, 02:17 AM
a_e sir, i believe Dhalapathi was 1991 Deepavali release which would be sometime around October, what happened to movies from Jan-October in 1991?
No SPB/IR combo?cmon cannot be.....

You're right buggle, this was in late 1991 but I don't follow the date that strictly :-)

I keep picking any movie from that year randomly :-)

The only discipline (mostly) maintained is the YYYY part :-)

app_engine
29th March 2012, 03:16 AM
We're moving closer to the "anniversary" of this compilation.

Though it appeared recently that we may not make it there, I feel strongly about the possibility now.

We're at 333 now and all we need is another 33 numbers to hit the 366 number. I guess there should be a minimum of another 10 numbers in 1991 itself and there're some more productive years.

BTW, tomorrow's also will be from thaLapathi!

There are a few more Rajinikanth movies - ejamAn, veerA, uzhaippALi, some KH movies - dEvar magan, singAravElan...apart from chinnaththambi etc. 33 shouldn't be that big a number to get.

Once that number is reached, I'll only cover some mega hits -i.e. if any still left - of the 90's or later and won't go after meticulously like before...I'll have to pass the mantle...

al_gates
29th March 2012, 04:59 AM
How did I miss getting a personal copy of this beauty in 1990? Well, it could be that the movie / songs arrived during the time when I was out of action due to an accident for 3 months (kAl odinja bedla thAn kidakka mudiyum, kaiyum vERa in plaster - due to bike-truck heads on...with access to only hindu paper that didn't carry much TF/TFM news

App, Fall of 1990 romba mattama irundhuchu Sir. Perusa sollikra maadhiri onnum nadakala.

I guess you had this accident after the 90 World cup final(july 8). Kizhakku vaasal came a week later. KV songs were a rage on Oliyum oliyum but you must have missed them due to your hospital stay. But apart from that there was nothing happening. India toured England and Tendulkar scored his 1st international 100 in Aug(How appropriate to bring it up now that he reached his 100th ton!). The feeling was almost certain that PT Usha would get a few golds in Beijing Asiad since she had won 4 at Seoul 86. What a ridiculous assumption that was, and underestimation of China's progress! Usha got 2 silvers. Our lone gold in the Asian games came through Kabbadi :banghead:

After that, there was no major sporting event. In TFM/TF world too, nothing major. Off season for both KH and RK. Releases like Anjali and MMKR stemmed the rot a little bit later in the year.

Or maybe it was just my life that was boring :) Two of my BEST friends in class moved out of school(and out of town). I got pally with another guy(same class, different Section) as his house was close to mine and we used to frequent a sports club after school. Now my 3rd and last BEST friend did not like this development. So we were not on talking terms for over a year. So, from being very close deskmates and lunchmates in one year, we moved to being sworn enemies. On top of that, we were both captains of our intra-class soccer teams which had a fierce rivalry! So that entire year, all communication between the 2 captains happened through intermediaries :-D We finally patched up after a year, but alas, the quality of the friendship was a pale shadow of what it used to be :(

So in several ways for me, that was a dry and painful season :(

App, if it is any consolation, you can go through the 1990 summer editions of Indian Express here :-D
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=P9oYG7HA76QC

groucho070
29th March 2012, 06:54 AM
.we have vil veeran Arjun though, telling 'machchamillai machchamillai' :lol2:).

:lol: The weakest link in the movie, Mani's puppet. Seniors get to strut their stuff, juniors end up doing this dour faced, wooden acting sponsored by Mani. By the way, am shocked to know that you have not watched Karnan, app. Your credit rating has just been reduced by 0.07% :razz:

app_engine
29th March 2012, 08:01 AM
groucho,
:-)

vAyppu kedakkalai, if you've read some old posts in this thread you would've noticed that I didn't watch any movie from 7th-12th grade, with the exception of dharam-veer :-)

kAttukkuyilu manasukkuLLa youtube :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRQuGnA4Cnw&feature=related

Divine22
29th March 2012, 12:20 PM
App sir, Great going :)

Kizhakku Vaasal. was a decent movie. Pachamala Poovu , Revathi would look exceptionally beautiful in that song. Romba mangalakaramaa irupaange. Lovely, soulful singing by SPB!! :2thumbsup: Talukki-talukki, Vanthathey kungumam, are wonderful gems too from the same movie.

Thalapathi, I love every bit of the songs & BGM ... My fav pick is Putham Puthu poo pootatho, The other songs has received so much accolades & popularity, But not this song. Probably because it was not there in the movie. Anyways, Kaatu kuyilu manasukulle , such a rare song. 2 legends singing with such passion and immense respect for each other. I enjoyed the song so much in the recent Endrendrum Raaja concert . It was so nice seeing SPB, KJY & IR on stage for this song. Great Legends :bow:

groucho070
29th March 2012, 12:22 PM
Semi digg: could it be possible that Mani has actually shot Puttam puthu poo? And cut it off later?

Divine22
29th March 2012, 12:48 PM
Yes, I wonder too. Was it cut off due to movie length ? never shot or possibly too obscene that the censor board had to chop off the entire song? escalation acquired from hub pundits :)

Thanks

PARAMASHIVAN
29th March 2012, 04:17 PM
Semi digg: could it be possible that Mani has actually shot Puttam puthu poo? And cut it off later?

This song was was shown in the movie, but not the entire song. This song involves the scene where Rajni takes Bhanu and the child tio his house!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNLfnynHpjA&feature=player_detailpage

app_engine
29th March 2012, 09:07 PM
nanRi, Divine22!

Me too like 'putham puthu poo pooththadhO' song, nice one in KJY's voice :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
29th March 2012, 09:44 PM
App anna

Eagerly waiting for "Sundari song" , what a melody! :notworthy:

//
Wasn't there a SPB + VJ song called "Sortpanathil sindhu padithen". which Film is that from please? and no I am not talking about Annan Gounds "Sortpana sundari" :lol2: //

app_engine
29th March 2012, 09:58 PM
#334 சுந்தரி கண்ணால் ஒரு சேதி
சொல்லடி இந்நாள் நல்ல தேதி
(தளபதி, 1991 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3496'&lang=en)

'sundari kaNNAl oru sEthi' of thaLapathi, with SJ

One of the top ranking SPB-SJ duets under IR's baton. The melody that starts in an average fashion in the first couple of lines of pallavi simply jumps sky-high when the 'nAn unai neenga mAttEn' portion comes, raising goosebumps. And, what delicious saraNams! It's a 'return-of-tablA-in-IRMR-tfm', after a drought in agni* & anjali :wink: (geetAnjali had it but it was originally Telugu)! The interludes are quite interesting - while not totally homogenous - and there had been legends about how the players at Bombay got impressed by the score. (IIRC, SPB spoke about it on stage...JayaTV's first concert, right?).

That brings to mind another speciality about this number - sundari song was perhaps among the few that were in the first JayaTV concert and got repeated in the 2nd one! Unfortunately, both occasions didn't have SJ on stage, who has done an equally awesome job as SPB in the original. The chorus is of nice standard too and the song is musically rich if listened from any perspective! BTW, I've requested V_Sji to write on the song and we're sure to get a treat if he accepts and finds time :-)

While Rajinkanth's "koNdai" had been one of amusement to me when watched for the first time, it's not that much of an eyesore during the revisits. The visuals otherwise are nice and it would have been remarkable if the 'ponniyin selvan' project had materialized...i.e. with IR doing a similarly grand score...otherwise I don't care much!

The song got played innumerable times since its arrival - right from the cassette days until now - on a variety of music systems during the last 20 years of so! Hasn't lost its shine at all, for me! Also, I haven't come across a person who said this song is not likeable :-)

Plum
29th March 2012, 10:19 PM
Yes, I wonder too. Was it cut off due to movie length ? never shot or possibly too obscene that the censor board had to chop off the entire song? escalation acquired from hub pundits :)ThanksBanupriyanavuNE obscene picturiusation irukkumnu chappu kottikittu imagine paNdradhu - idhu oru generational weakness pOlayE ;-)

PARAMASHIVAN
29th March 2012, 10:19 PM
#334 சுந்தரி கண்ணால் ஒரு சேதி
சொல்லடி இந்நாள் நல்ல தேதி
(தளபதி, 1991 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3496'&lang=en)

'sundari kaNNAl oru sEthi' of thaLapathi, with SJ

One of the top ranking SPB-SJ duets under IR's baton. The melody that starts in an average fashion in the first couple of lines of pallavi simply jumps sky-high when the 'nAn unai neenga mAttEn' portion comes, raising goosebumps. And, what delicious saraNams! It's a 'return-of-tablA-in-IRMR-tfm', after a drought in agni* & anjali :wink: (geetAnjali had it but it was originally Telugu)! The interludes are quite interesting - while not totally homogenous - and there had been legends about how the players at Bombay got impressed by the score. (IIRC, SPB spoke about it on stage...JayaTV's first concert, right?).

That brings to mind another speciality about this number - sundari song was perhaps among the few that were in the first JayaTV concert and got repeated in the 2nd one! Unfortunately, both occasions didn't have SJ on stage, who has done an equally awesome job as SPB in the original. The chorus is of nice standard too and the song is musically rich if listened from any perspective! BTW, I've requested V_Sji to write on the song and we're sure to get a treat if he accepts and finds time :-)

While Rajinkanth's "koNdai" had been one of amusement to me when watched for the first time, it's not that much of an eyesore during the revisits. The visuals otherwise are nice and it would have been remarkable if the 'ponniyin selvan' project had materialized...i.e. with IR doing a similarly grand score...otherwise I don't care much!

The song got played innumerable times since its arrival - right from the cassette days until now - on a variety of music systems during the last 20 years of so! Hasn't lost its shine at all, for me! Also, I haven't come across a person who said this song is not likeable :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpPZDB1dGP4&feature=player_detailpage

app_engine
30th March 2012, 12:01 AM
With one biggie of 1991 done, I'm planning for another biggie starting tomorrow :-)

Interestingly, I heard the songs of that biggie for the first time directly in theater - when watching the movie...

chOtA bhAi songs from tomorrow...

Divine22
30th March 2012, 09:05 AM
Plum saare, eeek! Nalla paatte padathula kanomennu aarva kolarele kettenge , :? :-D,
Mattapadi banu priya ?? voh my gaad! appdi ellam enakke enna aasaiya.. :roll: Nanum oru penn ...

btw, Cool signature sir!

Plum
30th March 2012, 09:12 AM
Divine - :ashamed: - irundhaalum the powers of banupriya cannot be overestimated :yessir:

Divine22
30th March 2012, 09:21 AM
Sundari Kannal Oru Sethi ~ Mesmerizing, colossal, soothing, monstrosity, IR,SJ,SPB in full form.

Yes, the both attempts were so and so on stage, proving how difficult it is to bring the same magic ...

Divine22
30th March 2012, 11:56 AM
Divine - :ashamed: - irundhaalum the powers of banupriya cannot be overestimated :yessir:

:mrgreen: Wokey !

PARAMASHIVAN
30th March 2012, 02:52 PM
I thought "Little Brother" was released before thalapathy :roll:

app_engine
30th March 2012, 08:08 PM
I thought "Little Brother" was released before thalapathy :roll:

Yes, you're right - but my order of posting within a given year had always been random...

app_engine
30th March 2012, 09:14 PM
#335 போவோமா, ஊர்கோலம்?
(சின்னத்தம்பி, 1991, ஸ்வர்ணலதாவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0525'&lang=en)

'pOvOmA oorkOlam' from Chinnathambi, with Swarnalatha

What had been written about as compositions that happened within a very short time, went on to become huge hits in multiple languages! Typical IR speciality - to get the job done in remarkably short time and yet coming up with stunners! A very delightful song - with bird chirps, sweet flute phrases and nice string sections added to some excellent singing of a simple melody! Swarnalatha steals the show here, with SPB mostly providing a support role - much in line with the movie characters and what was expected to be shown on screen. Well, we need to talk a little bit more about the movie here rather than songs :-)

Historically, i.e. before the 90's, big stars doing 'appAvi / appirANi / pAvam' kind of roles have received tremendous response / emotional connect from TF audience. There could have been some mass psychology behind it. While the movies involving heroic stuff have been regular hits and dance+fight kind of masAlAs got watched a lot by people to forget their own worries etc, there had always been a lot more connect / attachment / long-term-love from public when the protagonist is shown to be suffering or in a disadvantaged position. Perhaps that reflected the condition of majority and thus the connect.

Take even NT, who had tremendous success with all kinds of roles (bombastic / arrogant / heroic - even villanous), there are some roles very dearly remembered of him where he played appirANi or "disadvantaged" characters. And, IMHO, appirANi character roles were the biggest attractions of KH overall, though he is a sakalakalAvallavar. KBR too took advantage of this fact and cashed on some self-pity roles to make it big in the early 80's (dAddy dAddy, wOh sAt din, En sOgakkathaiyakkELu, chinnanjiRu kiLiyE). If one cares to look at the biggest successes of M & M in the neighbor state, this had been generally the case as well. Also, such movies had an universal appeal and been hits across the country when remade in other languages also.

Now, coming to the hero of chinnaththambi - the movie that broke all prior BO records in TF and remains among the all-time-biggies in TF history, the same factor proved to be true. And Prabhu did an extremely good job there. I think this happens to be his most successful & most remembered role in his career. This song is a sweet demo of how he did that role to perfection. (I remember writing in detail about the picturization in that lost thread :-( )

I watched this movie on the "new" (devidurga) theater of Palakkad and as mentioned before, got to hear the songs for the first time there. Thoroughly enjoyed the sweetness of this number and others - even as the front benchers kept clapping along for a number of songs, making me happier :-) Have been listening to this number ever since on audio systems / car and there are days it went on repeat, even recently!

tvsankar
30th March 2012, 09:57 PM
Dear app,

pacha mala poovu and povoma oorgolam.. ipo ezhudhina writings a padikala. ana romba varusham
munnadi.. IR thread la ezhudhi,,, romba inspire agi iruken .. romba azhaga varnichu ezhudhu irundheenga.
THanks a loooooooooooooooot for those Great picks.....................

app_engine
31st March 2012, 07:18 AM
mikka nanRi, Usha chEchi!

pOvOmA youtube :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZPsNrtUgws&feature=related

Sureshs65
31st March 2012, 08:55 AM
'chinna thambi', as app_eng, said broke all records. I saw the Telugu version of it titled 'Chanti' which also had a great run at the BO and the songs were a big hit.

(Unfortunately this was probably one of the worst movie I have ever seen!!! Especially the climax.)

al_gates
31st March 2012, 11:33 AM
(Unfortunately this was probably one of the worst movie I have ever seen!!! Especially the climax.)

This guy has nailed it in this review: http://lolluexpress.com/chinna.htm
The lack of good movies in that period is probably why CT became a major hit.

genesis
1st April 2012, 11:10 PM
This guy has nailed it in this review: http://lolluexpress.com/chinna.htm
The lack of good movies in that period is probably why CT became a major hit.

Mani was trying take TF forward by doing Mouna Ragam, Nayakan, Agni Natchaththiram, Anjali etc... Thanks to P.Vasu, in one film he takes TF 20years backwards... What an achievement!! Hats off to you sir!!

groucho070
2nd April 2012, 06:44 AM
(Unfortunately this was probably one of the worst movie I have ever seen!!! Especially the climax.)Exactly. I was dragged screaming to watch this movie (I already knew the story). I wish Prabhu was remembered for Aruvadai nAl, a similar character.

app, good analysis on the "innocent" types of roles. NT in PadikAtha methai, bAgapirivinai, first half of Raman Ettanai Raman (you have to read Saradha madam's post on it, check out the first page of NT's thread).

Plum
2nd April 2012, 10:19 AM
Suresh, not to mention "Anari", which made a shooting star out of Victory Venkatesh in Bollywood and (Karizma Gafoor) made me appreciate the talents of Khushboo. The success of this led Venky to remake Luckyman in Hindi, and come back with tail between legs.

Divine22
2nd April 2012, 12:21 PM
Thread name rumba naalaa 'Puthu Puthu Arthangal' leye nikkarathu. Fast forward pls ;)

PARAMASHIVAN
2nd April 2012, 03:12 PM
IIRC Little brother was remade in Hindi as well? With Venkatesh in the lead?

groucho070
2nd April 2012, 03:20 PM
Remade (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anari_(1993_film)). I wonder how was V-man's performance :lol2:

PARAMASHIVAN
2nd April 2012, 03:22 PM
Remade (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anari_(1993_film)). I wonder how was V-man's performance :lol2:

No way near Prabhu's performance

Plum
2nd April 2012, 05:55 PM
As suresh said, first came Chanti. With the stupendous success of it, then came Anari. Then came Taqdeerwala(lucky man for you unindian fellas who don't know and don't care about indhi). Actually, it isn't fair to say luckyman, as the latter itself was a remake of a telugu movie.

A_S
2nd April 2012, 07:39 PM
App, sorry I was away from the forum for nearly 1 month and it looks like lots of good songs got discussed. About Nadigan, surprised to note that you haven't heard both Aatamma Pattamma and Vezhuthu Pochu as they had decent air time (especially Aatamma song). I remember Jai talking about this "Vezuthu Pochu" song in another IR thread some time back. Pleasantly surprised to note that you have listened to Enge Nimadhi (I used to have instant liking for those type of songs of IR during that period of time). Nadigan was released some time in Dec 1990 (I remember watching it in Archana theatre, Coimbatore). So the number of missed songs would have touched double digits for sure :-D On the topic of IR-SPB association in 90s and beyond, I am sure all our fellow IR fans in this forum would have heard of "Kakkai Siraginile" that was released in the beginning of 2000 (or late 1999) which had majority of songs sung by SPB. This movie was also directed by P.Vasu (whose movies with IR's music in general had many good & few outstanding songs)

PARAMASHIVAN
2nd April 2012, 07:51 PM
A_S

Didn't "Kaakai SirginilE" had R.Parthiban in the lead ?

Divine22
2nd April 2012, 07:53 PM
Arrr.. the ''caterpillar eye brows' Karishma Kapoor of the early 90s, I can imagine her obnoxious innocent act with 'look at me I'm cute' expressions ! :p

PARAMASHIVAN
2nd April 2012, 07:55 PM
Arrr.. the ''caterpillar eye brows' Karishma Kapoor of the early 90s, I can imagine her obnoxious innocent act with 'look at me I'm cute' expressions ! :p

Enna solla vareenga ? :roll:

Plum
2nd April 2012, 08:24 PM
Karizma Gafoor singing "sexy sexy mujhe log bole" is one of the cruellest jokes unleashed on indian audience by Bollywood. If only Prashanth Thyagarajan had taken his Hindi career seriously, he would have easily trumped Gafoor in sex appeal quotient :evil:

Divine22
2nd April 2012, 08:42 PM
Enna solla vareenga ? :roll:

I meant was, When Karishma was still new in hindi films, she had bushy,caterpillar like eye brows. And she would try so hard to act innocent or cute, resulting in over acting most of the time. Raja Hindustani,Andaz Apna Apna, and her movies with Govinda, simply unbearable... just to name a few.

PARAMASHIVAN
2nd April 2012, 08:48 PM
I meant was, When Karishma was still new in hindi films, she had bushy,caterpillar like eye brows. And she would try so hard to act innocent or cute, resulting in over acting most of the time. Raja Hindustani,Andaz Apna Apna, and her movies with Govinda, simply unbearable... just to name a few.

Oh athuva, may be she could not get any "eyebrow tweezers" near her house :lol2:

Divine22
2nd April 2012, 09:05 PM
:lol: Yes.... Bad choice of stylist I guess. She must have fired that stylist around the time of 'Dil to Pagal HAi'

genesis
2nd April 2012, 11:57 PM
Karizma Gafoor singing "sexy sexy mujhe log bole" is one of the cruellest jokes unleashed on indian audience by Bollywood. If only Prashanth Thyagarajan had taken his Hindi career seriously, he would have easily trumped Gafoor in sex appeal quotient :evil:

There is no doubt Karishma was little high on "Testosterone" early on her career.... Even censor decided to replace the word "sexy" with "fancy" in the movie to make Plum happy. Unfortunately this song has left such as traumatic memories in Plum, he can not remember that part.

IMHO, Govinda-Karishma is the best dance pair I have known. They provided good entertainment in the 90s with their dance.

app_engine
3rd April 2012, 08:58 AM
I'm a little tied up (moving from one client to another)...so, there's some backlog (including the weekend's)...will try to get back in track ASAP...

rajsmed
4th April 2012, 01:14 AM
Hey everyone,

I recently uploaded this very rare and hit song from the combination of Maestro Ilayaraja - S.P.Balasubramaniam - P.Susheela - S.Janaki. The song is "Naan Oru Ponnoviyam Kanden Ethire" from "Kannil Theriyum Kathaigal". Enjoy everyone!

I will be uploading many more rare and hit Ilayaraja songs over the next few days.

My channel is www.youtube.com/user/rajsmed

Please share your comments on Youtube! I always find it encouraging when people share their unique take on Maestro's songs! Best wishes!

- Rajesh

Tamil Movie Song - Kannil Theriyum Kathaigal - Naan Oru Ponnoviyam Kanden Ethire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smV4gxkBkuM

genesis
4th April 2012, 08:54 AM
Hey everyone,

I recently uploaded this very rare and hit song from the combination of Maestro Ilayaraja - S.P.Balasubramaniam - P.Susheela - S.Janaki. The song is "Naan Oru Ponnoviyam Kanden Ethire" from "Kannil Theriyum Kathaigal". Enjoy everyone!

I will be uploading many more rare and hit Ilayaraja songs over the next few days.

My channel is www.youtube.com/user/rajsmed

Please share your comments on Youtube! I always find it encouraging when people share their unique take on Maestro's songs! Best wishes!

- Rajesh

Rajesh - Thanks a lot!!! Great Service. It is because of your hard work we get to enjoy these rare gems!!

rajsmed
4th April 2012, 09:59 AM
Thanks Genesis! It is my pleasure! More rare and hit songs from recent uploads:

Tamil Movie Song - Dhuruva Natchathiram - Poovendrum Ponne Endrum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PQcISGPKMM

Tamil Movie Song - Naan Sonnathey Sattam - Athikaalai Neram Kanavil Unnai Paarthen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A356Lovv9Bk

Tamil Movie Song - Parvathi Ennai Paaradi - Chinna Poongili Sindhum Thenmozhi Inikkum Nannaal Ithu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T07pmlcQ_g0

Tamil Movie Song - Bhagavathipuram Railway Gate - Kaalai Nera Kaatre Vaazhthi Sellu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g83t-hSw4KQ

PARAMASHIVAN
4th April 2012, 03:15 PM
For some reason, I was under the impression that "naan oru pEnoviyum" was composed by SG :ashamed:

groucho070
4th April 2012, 03:45 PM
SG did nAn unna nenechEn, nee enne nenecha.

PARAMASHIVAN
4th April 2012, 03:48 PM
SG did nAn unna nenechEn, nee enne nenecha.

Ah this was the movie with Multiple MDs ?

groucho070
4th April 2012, 03:54 PM
Yeah, that's the one.

app_engine
5th April 2012, 08:10 AM
#336 அறைச்ச சந்தனம் மணக்கும் குங்குமம் அழகு நெற்றியிலே
(சின்னத்தம்பி, 1991 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0522'&lang=en)

aRachcha santhanam of Chinnathambi

Sweet composition by rAsA, one of my all-time fav numbers! SPB in top form, lovely themmAngu, terrific arrangements / orchestration and trouble-free lyrics! What more can one ask for? Repeated countless times on drives, this tablA delight!

When I started watching the movie on theater, it was initially boring - almost like a poor rehash of many old movies of R Sundarrajan and I was getting somewhat restless. thooLiyilE was sweet (the KSC version that had P Vasu's son on screen) but the scenes looked too repetitive and were slowly becoming intolerable. Radharavi & co were atrocious as well. Under such conditions, this song was so refreshing on-screen! Remember, I was listening to this number for the first time and rAsA had me in goosebumps and any tolerable thing on-screen would have felt too good (and Prabhu-Kushbu were more than that, at that time). I simply loved the song, scene and suddenly started feeling that I can sit thru the movie :-)

That, probably, was the secret behind the stunning success of this movie! rAsA was a key factor - one has to take into account that TV networks weren't still established much, even though local cable TV fellows showing thirttu-VCR movies were starting up, no satellite channels in Thamizh and no DVDs (or even CDs). So, people had to visit theater to watch the visuals.

There we got to give credit to Prabhu, Kushbu and Vasu - regardless of the overall standard of the movie! The songs were picturized very well. (If someone has opinions otherwise, request to go back a couple of pages and watch pOvOmA youtube! I really see two kids innocently playing - kaN koLLAkkAtchi ayyA! I don't mind being called as "one with kuppai taste" if that's for enjoying pOvOmA video!) So, people thronged to the theaters, IMO, to watch the wonderful visuals for these couple of songs! I'll post more about Prabhu-Kushbu in the next song!

So, this movie had its own positives - even though there had been torturously negative scenes aplenty! (Please don't tell me the movie simply ran for songs - that way ninaivellAm nithyA & nizhalgaL should have been the biggest hits of TF...people adhu reNdaiyum eppadi kadAsinAngannu nyAyamAna manasukaLukku nallAppuriyum).

app_engine
5th April 2012, 08:22 AM
sembavaLa muththukkaLa youtube :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpDMjawfKAA

app_engine
5th April 2012, 08:39 AM
#337 குயிலப்புடிச்சு கூண்டில் அடைச்சு
(சின்னத்தம்பி, 1991) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0523'&lang=en)

kuyilappudichchi kooNdil adachchi of chinnaththambi

SPB pouring out emotions nicely, making this song a winner! Sweet, melodious composition by rAsA that got so much of value add by the ace singer! Ofcourse there are overpowering string sections that can play around with people's hearts - typical rAsA speciality. Now, these two are generally "given" factors - by and large in TFM.

What cannot be so easily taken for granted are the visuals for such wonderful compositions! (Well, in a way my statement is not true - we can generally take it for granted that those will be horrible sodhappals and one has to close eyes:-) ) Surprisingly, Prabhu got me in this song unawares and I was impressed at my first watch! From an appirANi - veLLandhi to an emotional villager, what a sweet transformation! Those who did more "harvesting" of Prabhu, like groucho, may not like this movie but I'm not one of that category :-) I've watched only a few movies that had Prabhu solo hero (or with his dad's support) and he wasn't a big favourite. Actually, among my circles he was made more fun of than enjoyed - at any point of time. I would have possibly told his dad's kuthirai joke to almost every one with whom I've discussed cinema / songs :lol: However, in almost all song scenes of CT, I was terribly impressed.

And so was Kushbu - effortless performance! My wife kept reminding me how she looked like her cousin and that possibly added to her appeal - she was awesome in that movie at that point of time! (Unfortunately, that Kushbu-like-cousin had an untimely death, leaving an one year old child behind :-( that made it even more difficult to forget this movie)...

raajarasigan
5th April 2012, 10:22 AM
#336 அறைச்ச சந்தனம் மணக்கும் குங்குமம் அழகு நெற்றியிலே
(சின்னத்தம்பி, 1991 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0522'&lang=en)

aRachcha santhanam of Chinnathambibeauty write up app sir.. :D my favorite in this album.... ludes ellam innaikkum manasula nikkuthu... annan was throwing medhu vada in the bandhi... :lol:

tvsankar
5th April 2012, 02:12 PM
Dear Rajsmed,
Thanks for the youtubes..... sila paatu.. videos.. disappoint panrdhu. analum. Sound Quality. adharkaga video vai mannikalam........

Thanks a lot for ur service Raj......

tvsankar
5th April 2012, 02:14 PM
Dear app,
Thanks for Chinna Thambi..... P Vaasu and Prabhu in IR music. all are gems.i like it all.
Unga wriitings... Book la padikara madhirii. romba nalla iruku. comments.... udane solla thonalai..... padicha mood la
manasu iruku........... This is ur style app...... pl continue...............

Prabhu and KUshbhu in IR music.. thaniyave Thread podalam App...................

tvsankar
5th April 2012, 02:24 PM
app,
aracha sandhanam.. indha paatukum - konjam varusham munnadi neenga ezhudhinadhu nyabagam iruku.
Yela poovu kolam podum naaasi dhan..idharukum...

yellu poo nasi ..endha paatuku .. nyabagam ilal ipo.. padam pottu.. ezhudhi irundheenga..............

raajarasigan
5th April 2012, 02:26 PM
yellu poo nasi ..endha paatuku .. nyabagam ilal ipo.. padam pottu.. ezhudhi irundheenga..............think it was senbagame senbagame...

tvsankar
5th April 2012, 02:32 PM
RR........ oh. indha oru paatula .. Raja music la yellu poo nu varudha........ apo indha paatuku than irukum. app dhan sollanam.

raajarasigan
5th April 2012, 03:14 PM
Usha Madam, here it is.. :-)

moondrampiraiyai pole kaanum nethi pottoda
naalum kalandhirukka venumindha pattoda
karuthadhu megam thalaimudithaano
izhuthadhu ellaam poovizhithaano
elluppoo aasi pathi pesi pesi theeradhu should be nassi!!
un pattukaaran pattu unnevittu pogaadhu

app_engine
5th April 2012, 06:48 PM
app,
konjam varusham munnadi neenga ezhudhinadhu nyabagam iruku.
Yela poovu kolam podum naaasi dhan..idharukum...

yellu poo nasi ..endha paatuku .. nyabagam ilal ipo.. padam pottu.. ezhudhi irundheenga..............

:lol: அதை இன்னும் ஞாபகம் வச்சிருக்கீங்களா...எனக்கே மறந்து போச்சு :-)

nanRi raajarasigan, for your comments!

Yes, 'eLLuppoo nAsi' is from the Sunanda or Mano version of sheNbagamE!

Plum
6th April 2012, 09:53 AM
Moththathula Khusboovukku kovil kattina tamizhargaLil neerum oruvarnu solRInga(from your peeRikittu varum emotions writing about CT and Khush). Control control app - we understand your emotions ;-)

Divine22
6th April 2012, 02:05 PM
Chinna Tambi ~ Patti totti hits songs !!! Aniyayathukku Prabhu appaviya nadichiruppar. Kushbu had some scope for her acting. As most says, the climax scene is just despicable !! :irked:

P.Vasu had string of successful movies right at that time ? Mostly with Prabhu - Kushbu as the lead pair. I have read some where he said in an interview abt the Vasu,Prabhu,Kushbu, all names ending with 'U' , claims it was their luck thingy.

I love the bgm, when ever Kushbu & gang comes out from their house, avange veetu ponna yarum paakke kudathunnu, kudai yellam pidichi maatu vandile koottitu varuvange, Appo ore bit music varum, romba nalla irukkum. And comedy scenes were unforgetable too :)

Thanks.

app_engine
6th April 2012, 11:32 PM
Plum,
:-)

Divine22,
yw :-)

genesis
7th April 2012, 03:39 AM
So, this movie had its own positives - even though there had been torturously negative scenes aplenty! (Please don't tell me the movie simply ran for songs - that way ninaivellAm nithyA & nizhalgaL should have been the biggest hits of TF...people adhu reNdaiyum eppadi kadAsinAngannu nyAyamAna manasukaLukku nallAppuriyum).

Chinna Thambi songs are pretty average for IR standards.... It is success of the movie that contributed to the popularity of the songs. IMHO, "Nee Enge" is a only good song from this movie, that too because of Sawarnalatha..... There are not many powerful climax songs like this... "Sangeedha Jadhi Mullai" from Kaadhal Ooviyam is another such song (Both songs are also happened to be on the same theme: Desperate call to the lover)

app_engine
7th April 2012, 04:26 AM
#338 சந்தைக்கு வந்த கிளி
(தர்மதுரை, 1991 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0638'&lang=en)

santhaikku vantha kiLi from Dharmadurai, with SJ

What a sweet themmAngu by the top duet pair! Very simple orchestration, by IR's standards for a catchy melody. The folk piece in the second interlude is similar to the prelude of aRaichcha santhanam and quite lovely. The other highlight of the song is the excellent country drum sounds (typical urumi present). Ofcourse, the typical shehnAi piece is included and awesome too!

No need to mention that the song was a patti-thotti hit, more because it was from a Rajini movie than otherwise, IMHO. I've heard it mostly on PA systems, including the buses. Never had it among my personal collections at any point of time. The only song that was in my collections from the movie was mAsi mAsam (SJS took not only the "beats" of this song for his kattippudi kattippudidA in kushi but also the horse + stable steamy scenes). The movie must have been a hit...I've never had the chance to watch it- only youtubes of songs featuring Rajini-Gautami...in any case, few more hit songs for rAsA :-)

V_S
7th April 2012, 04:58 AM
App,
Very nice posts on Chinna Thambi. :clap: I could see your passion for this movie and songs in those posts. Should see the visuals for these songs again, as it interested you a lot. I remember POvomA OorgOlam, Aracha Sandhanam and Nee EngE are nicely done.

venkkiram
7th April 2012, 05:40 AM
Chinna Thambi songs are pretty average for IR standards.... தவறான பார்வை. அது என்ன ராஜாவின் தரம்? ஒரு பாடலை பட்டி தொட்டி, நகரம் என ஒரு இடம் விடாமல் ஒலிக்கச் செய்வதும் அதையும் தமிழ் நாட்டையும் தாண்டி ஆந்திரா, கேரளா என புகழ் பரப்பியதும் சாதாரண வேலை அல்ல. இந்த மெட்டிற்கு இது போதும் என ராஜாவிற்கு தெரிகிறது. ஒரு பாடலின் அமைப்பு ரொம்ப எளிமையா இருந்தா ஓரங்கட்டுவது எப்படி நியாயமாகும்? அப்படியே பார்த்தாலும் போவோமா ஊர்கோலம் - கிளாசிக். ஆரம்ப இசை, இடையிசை எல்லாமே அற்புதம். குயிலப் புடிச்சி பாடல் - பாலுவின் சோகப்பாடல்களில் முக்கியமான ஒன்று. படம் குப்பை எனச் சொல்லுங்கள். அதில் நியாயம் இருக்கிறது. பாடல்கள் இன்றைக்கும் கேட்டு ரசிக்கலாம். ஆனால் படத்தை என்னால் ஒரு நிமிடம் கூட சகித்து பார்க்க முடியாது. நகைச்சுவைக் காட்சிகள் தவிர.

app_engine
7th April 2012, 08:45 AM
App,
Very nice posts on Chinna Thambi. :clap: I could see your passion for this movie and songs in those posts.

nanRi, V_Sji :-)

appadiyE konjam sundari pakkam konjam manasu vaiyungO :-)

app_engine
7th April 2012, 08:49 AM
santhaikku vantha kiLi youtube :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_MQod9HCuY

rajkumarc
7th April 2012, 08:33 PM
Nice posts on Chinna Thambi songs app and you made me revisit the visuals (of course for Kushboo too :-D, she is lovely in this film). Love all the songs in this movie. Unbelievable that Raja composed a super hit album in a very short period of time. The quality of the tunes & singing are so high that the songs are enjoyable on every listen.

Sandhaikku Vandha Kili - Love this song, especially the postlude portion which is the favorite for me, what an ending to the song.

PARAMASHIVAN
7th April 2012, 09:49 PM
SPB sir is in London today ! No one told me, I don't have Tamil TV at home, I dont have any Tamil friends, I really feel upset! The last concert I went to see SPB sir was back in 2002 when I was a teenager, hence I did not know much! I really feel bad now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ISshY4gmrQ&feature=player_detailpage

Nerd
8th April 2012, 11:27 PM
All the 35+ fellas posting in this thread are so against sinna thambi. appram yaarubaa indha padaththai hit aakkinadhu? :lol:

The biggest hit from this film is Mano's thooLiyilE. And the soundtrack was HUGE among the fublic. Almost karagattakkaaran range.

App, dharmadurai-la aaNenna peNennaa ellaam hit kidaiyaadhunnu skip pannaadheenga. Again even in this album the biggest hit is a non-SPB number. I don't have both the SPB numbers in any of my playlists. And for the nth time, thanks to this thread, another song finds a place in my playlist (sandhaikku vandha kiLi - what a fun ride. Would be great 'on the go').

groucho070
9th April 2012, 08:59 AM
Sandhaikku vantha kili, one of those made for Rajini dances that perfectly suited him, plus plays along very well with the percussion. One of later day strongest performances from Rajini.

app, Nerd sonna mathiri antha pAtta miss pannAthengga. As usual, like CT or not, like your write-up and appreciation for it.

Plum
9th April 2012, 12:32 PM
Sometimes I wonder how we define hits. For example, it is widely accepted that after Roja, till 1998 and KMari, Raja didn't have an authentic hit. Yet, down south, among the discerning folk(!) of Madurai and suththupattis, Albums like Aranmanai Kili and Nadodi Thendral were huge, monstrous hits. Even in late 2000s, you could hear these songs reverberating in Madurai streets as though were the latest hits. Or indeed timeless classics. Nary a shred of Kaadhalukku Mariyaadhai I heard during these late 2000s. So wherefrom the claim comes that from 92 until 98, Raja didn't have a "genuine" hit? From the MTMDevans and Chennai-is-TN folks for whom until Kaadhalukku Mariyaadhai, there was no cigar.

San_K
9th April 2012, 01:11 PM
Plum one example: Veera (1994) was a super hit album. was not KM released in 1997?

Plum
9th April 2012, 06:19 PM
Yeah 1997 but the point remains. It is good app is doing this series - even I have been guilty of lazily claiming the "KM is sooper hit after 5 years for Raja" theory. Ippo thirumbi pArthaa dhaanE theriyudhu - namma dhaan sariyaa analyse paNNAma vittirukkOm.

genesis
9th April 2012, 11:18 PM
தவறான பார்வை. அது என்ன ராஜாவின் தரம்? ஒரு பாடலை பட்டி தொட்டி, நகரம் என ஒரு இடம் விடாமல் ஒலிக்கச் செய்வதும் அதையும் தமிழ் நாட்டையும் தாண்டி ஆந்திரா, கேரளா என புகழ் பரப்பியதும் சாதாரண வேலை அல்ல. இந்த மெட்டிற்கு இது போதும் என ராஜாவிற்கு தெரிகிறது. ஒரு பாடலின் அமைப்பு ரொம்ப எளிமையா இருந்தா ஓரங்கட்டுவது எப்படி நியாயமாகும்? அப்படியே பார்த்தாலும் போவோமா ஊர்கோலம் - கிளாசிக். ஆரம்ப இசை, இடையிசை எல்லாமே அற்புதம். குயிலப் புடிச்சி பாடல் - பாலுவின் சோகப்பாடல்களில் முக்கியமான ஒன்று. படம் குப்பை எனச் சொல்லுங்கள். அதில் நியாயம் இருக்கிறது. பாடல்கள் இன்றைக்கும் கேட்டு ரசிக்கலாம். ஆனால் படத்தை என்னால் ஒரு நிமிடம் கூட சகித்து பார்க்க முடியாது. நகைச்சுவைக் காட்சிகள் தவிர.

Going by this definition, Maine Pyar Kiya and Hum Aapke Hain Koun are much bigger hits. I have heard HAHK songs in rural areas (like Marriage function etc) in Coimbatore district during that time. But they are "pretty average" and their popularity is more to do with movie's success not the songs themselves. The same logic applies to CT.

Nerd - you have a great point. Who are these people that made CT such a big hit?

Plum
9th April 2012, 11:32 PM
Same people who made roja, aasai etc superhit eh? If your defn is "genesisku pidikkala so flop" then maybe it was flop. Ungalukku(enakkum kooda) pidikkalainaa flop aayidumaa? Ennayyaa logic idhu?oru velai enakku edhu pudikkalaiyo naan thoongiduven concept apply panningalo? :think:

app_engine
10th April 2012, 01:13 AM
#339 ஆணென்ன பெண்ணென்ன
(தர்மதுரை, 1991) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0634'&lang=en)

ANenna peNNenna of dharmadurai

Yet another hit song from Dharmadurai to which more credit should be given to the Rajinikanth factor than the combo effect of the thread-nAyaks . Honestly, I didn't even know which song this movie was from, before attempting this compilation - even though I've heard it many times on buses and otherwise PA systems. Never paid serious attention, however, as the first line of the lyric used to turn me off. (So, didn't pay close attention to the singing / orch etc - it wouldn't have mattered to me if someone said this was another Chandrabose song from that time period for Rajinikanth - like 'manidhan manidhan' or 'vAnaththappAththEn bhoomiyappAththEn').

Never a big fan of 'thaththuva songs' post Kavingar - regardless of who the composer & lead actor pairs were. Some had interesting lines without doubt but IMHO the era for such songs was over with MGR-Sivaji days and the "director-led" KH-RK movies are better off without such numbers (except in some fun situations such as 'rAman ANdAlum'). Well, movies like kAkkichchattai & murattukkALai etc cannot be called "director-led" for obvious reasons, even then such songs were not welcome for me :-)

But, I'm not complaining - IR / SPB combo got one more hit to their count and that should make this thread happy :-)

app_engine
10th April 2012, 02:45 AM
#340 காதல் கவிதைகள் படித்திடும் நேரம்
(கோபுர வாசலிலே, 1991 , சித்ராவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0957'&lang=en)

'kAdhal kavidhaikaL padiththidum nEram' from gOpura vAsalilE

It's an interesting song, despite the irritating 'lovable idiot' start. With delectable string sections and a background arrangement like meenammA meenammA, the song is quite a "running fast" kind. SPB & KSC excel in their singing of a very sweet melody. A rAsA-special melody, that is catchy as well as complex - especially the saraNam part. It gets so good in the middle of the saraNam where IR possibly conformed to the rAgA specs while also innovating within that framework (experts to clarify).

Interestingly, I've never heard about this movie or this song when this was supposedly hot in TN. 1991 being a year when so much was happening on the personal front, I'm not surprised that a remake didn't get my attention. (Don't ask me 'how do you know it was a remake' - I simbly assumed that -seeing Priyadharshan as the director...had it been Lal, I would've told 'dubbed movie' but the hero is Karthik here and hence the 'remake' assumption).

I came across this song only in the new millennium here in amErikkA- when some disk from a relative had it. Since that relative is not a HCIRF, I assumed that the song was a hit in TN :wink: Though I like this song very much, my most fav from the album is the SJ special 'thAlAttum poongARRu' - what a sweety!

Looking back, I'm surprised that I missed a Priyadharshan-IR venture of 1991 altogether, while living in Kerala :shock: That too with him being a fav director to me during the late-80's - with those sweet movies having Lalettan - Chithram / vandhanam / veLLAnakaLude nAdu & kilukkam. Since we're featuring for the first time a song directed by the h/o Lissy chEchi, I should mention a couple of words about him...

Along with Sathyan AnthikkAd, Priyadharshan should be given credits for bringing smile on the faces of Malayalees when watching movies! I don't think anyone would be outraged by this statement, as most movies prior to the 80's were dead serious, azhuva moonji kinds predominantly. Even the songs - if not sOgam, they were extremely serious mostly.

All those changed with the advent of these two directors in combination with Lal & Srinivasan (along with some sweet & sensitive movies by Fazil).

That didn't mean that Priyan's movies were all slapsticks / comedies. They could turn dead-serious pretty quickly, even leaving one with a lump in the throat on many occasions. Since I encourage everyone to watch the four movies listed above by Priyan, I won't post spoilers here - those are great movies with excellent comical & serious moments and some superb performances by the actors. Not to be missed!

Likewise, please don't post spoilers of gOpura vAsalilE here :oops: I plan to watch it someday...unless somebody names the original and I know that I had already watched that one :-)

app_engine
10th April 2012, 02:46 AM
I'll try to post 2 songs each day during this week (only) to catch up :-)

app_engine
10th April 2012, 02:56 AM
app, Nerd sonna mathiri antha pAtta miss pannAthengga. As usual, like CT or not, like your write-up and appreciation for it.

nanRi Nerd & groucho!

genesis
10th April 2012, 03:01 AM
Same people who made roja, aasai etc superhit eh? If your defn is "genesisku pidikkala so flop" then maybe it was flop. Ungalukku(enakkum kooda) pidikkalainaa flop aayidumaa? Ennayyaa logic idhu?oru velai enakku edhu pudikkalaiyo naan thoongiduven concept apply panningalo? :think:

Cool Plum. I am not disputing whether CT is flop or hit. Nerd had pointed many if not all hubbers here hated CT movie and wondering who made it a hit!! It looks like the people who made it a hit are not visiting this forum or ashamed to admit it.

al_gates
10th April 2012, 06:00 AM
Likewise, please don't post spoilers of gOpura vAsalilE here :oops: I plan to watch it someday...unless somebody names the original and I know that I had already watched that one :-)

App, writing this as another Rip Van Winkle, I strongly recommend that the 'someday' take place this week! GV was one of the nicest, easy on the heart 80s/90s movies that I caught. The story was modern enough wihtout being too jazzy, had a nice small town events feel to it. I guess it might have been the locations around Ooty/Kodaikanal(confirm?) that won my heart.

Pull off a 10 hour workday, have family time, then kick your shoes off and watch this movie with coffee and popcorn. I love my movies better after a hard day's work :)

Nerd
10th April 2012, 06:04 AM
Gopura VaasalilE, wow! One of my favoritest soundtracks of Raaja (Songs + BGM). What lovely songs, each one of them. And the movie is a favorite of mine as well. Seen it multiple times on (Trichy, Sona IIRC) big screen when it released and will see it each time they telecast it on TV for some reason. App, please do watch the film at least for Raaja's lovely BG score. But its a pity that you don't have any of your personal memories associated with this album :-(

The loveable idiot phrase is so much intertwined with the opening strings that its never irritating for me. And I always go to madhura marikkozhunthu vaasam after this song. They both sound a little similar (the charanams esp). Same raaga? Super song. Super album :-D :-D :-D

al_gates
10th April 2012, 06:14 AM
Sometimes I wonder how we define hits. For example, it is widely accepted that after Roja, till 1998 and KMari, Raja didn't have an authentic hit

Plum, I really must reiterate that the word HIT has been hijacked by forums like these which focus on the composer and less on the merits of an album.
Hit according to these online forums = Popular album by Composer A with no real decent album from Composers B, C and D.

As a result in these pages you wont find Raja having a decent year in 1994(what about Veera, Walter Vetrivel, Valli?), 1993(Ejamaan, Uzhaippali, Ponnumani, Marupadiyum) or 1992(the guy composed 54 movies that year - nadodi thendral, meera, senthamilpattu).

The public doesnt bother about such criteria...if they like the movie they watch it...if they like a song, they play it :)

Plum
10th April 2012, 07:10 AM
Yeah, al, the "scales" of comparison in this forum are warped and biased, indeed. Not to mention thick headed.

PARAMASHIVAN
10th April 2012, 02:38 PM
App, dharmadurai-la aaNenna peNennaa ellaam hit kidaiyaadhunnu skip pannaadheenga. Again even in this album the biggest hit is a non-SPB number.

Yes Maasi Maasam by KJY , S.Latha was a huge hit, which later went on to be another Xerox Hit thanks to our Xerox deva :lol2: , yes I am talking about "katipudi katipudi da" song from Kushi!

PARAMASHIVAN
10th April 2012, 02:46 PM
#340 காதல் கவிதைகள் படித்திடும் நேரம்
(கோபுர வாசலிலே, 1991 , சித்ராவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0957'&lang=en)

Just revisited GV yesterday, apart from the "I love that loveable" idiot bit this song is awesome! Karthik as usual performed well in thii movie ? Who was the heroine in this song ?

PARAMASHIVAN
10th April 2012, 02:51 PM
App anna

I "highly" recomend GV for you! The locations and PC Sriram camera work, Rasa 's music and Bhanupriya as eye candy what else one wants :)

A_S
10th April 2012, 02:56 PM
App: Surprised to note that you didn't know the name of the movie for the song "Ann Enna Pen Enna" till recently. Some info on this movie (that I could recall, Expecting Murali sir to provide accurate details :)). Dharmadurai was released on 1991 Pongal day and since 1990 had only one RK release (Athisaya Piravi) as compared to 1989 that had four releases (three of those got covered recently in this thread), RK fans were eagerly looking forward to this movie. One movie per year was way too less for RK fans that time (as compared to the current scenario of one movie every 2-3 years). It was widely reported in the print media (DD days with no internet) that RK worked non stop in Dec 1990 to get this movie completed on time for pongal release. IR composed very good songs for this movie (even RK's previous AP had very good songs but since MV sung all of them, didn't get the deserved recognition) that had KJY, SPB, Mano, SJ, SL singing (only KSC didn't get a song in this movie and thankfully no MV). Completely agree with the positive comments made on GV. It's a movie worth seeing multiple times. IR's music was the highlight of this movie. If I remember it right, GV was being made for around 1.5-2 years (from late 1999 till it finally got released in April 1991) which was a long time for the making of a movie in that era.

A_S
10th April 2012, 02:58 PM
Missed mentioning Param will like BP in GV and looks like he has posted that already :-D

groucho070
10th April 2012, 03:19 PM
Mild digression, any idea how well the Hindi remake of Dharmadurai (Thiyagi?) performed?

PARAMASHIVAN
10th April 2012, 03:28 PM
Missed mentioning Param will like BP in GV and looks like he has posted that already :-D :thumbsup:

A_S
10th April 2012, 05:04 PM
One correction to my earlier post, Panakkaran was also released in 1990 (on Pongal day) and hence there were two releases for RK in 1990. Disappointment for his fans was no RK release for 1990 Deepavali (that had MMKR for KH) and hence 1991 Pongal was set as a hard deadline for the release of DD. In 1980s, both RK and KH had deepvali releases almost every year (except for 1988 when KH didn't have one). Looks like DD wasn't remade from any hindi movie based on Grouch's question.

Sureshs65
10th April 2012, 06:33 PM
Nerd, Plum and genesis,

That almost all folks (35 by Nerd's count) posting here didn't like 'Chinna Thambi' shows that all of them have watched it!!! No wonder it was a hit!!!

Plum
10th April 2012, 06:56 PM
No not that way. That way even kansamy could be called a hit. I didn't, for instance, watch CT in theatre. Infact. Have never sat through the damn movie in TV as well. And I am fairly confident that that doesn't disqualify me for evaluating the movie. Crap is crap, even if you don't watch it fully. But what is indisputable is it was a hit in the normal way - lot of people saw it lot many times and liked it, difficult as it is to believe. Infact, I am not much of a fan of the songs also. But - and this is my point - they became hit. And whether the detractors who have framed the "92-98 no hit for Raja" narrative will learn much to their chagrin that he had many hits in that period, whether they liked the albums or not.

app_engine
10th April 2012, 08:42 PM
nanRi makkaLE!

The issue with watching gOpura vAsalilE is to find a good DVD :-(

I haven't seen in any Indian stores around...internet may be the final resort :roll: Will try this weekend...

Is everyone sure there was no Malayalam original?

Nerd
10th April 2012, 08:48 PM
Its definitely a remake App. Wiki says the source is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavam_Pavam_Rajakumaran And I have heard many people say the remake is inferior to the original.

Plum
10th April 2012, 09:06 PM
It wasn't a direct remake of Paavam Paavam RK. It seems like Priyan mixed this one and another movie of his and some original stuff(yeah, really :lol:) to derive GV. Just like he mixed a couple of films of his for Lesa Lesa later.

genesis
10th April 2012, 11:40 PM
No not that way. That way even kansamy could be called a hit. I didn't, for instance, watch CT in theatre. Infact. Have never sat through the damn movie in TV as well. And I am fairly confident that that doesn't disqualify me for evaluating the movie. Crap is crap, even if you don't watch it fully. But what is indisputable is it was a hit in the normal way - lot of people saw it lot many times and liked it, difficult as it is to believe. Infact, I am not much of a fan of the songs also. But - and this is my point - they became hit. And whether the detractors who have framed the "92-98 no hit for Raja" narrative will learn much to their chagrin that he had many hits in that period, whether they liked the albums or not.

Plum - Nobody said IR did not have a hit from 1992-1998 recently in this thread or in relationship with CT. (I just said CT songs are "pretty average" for IR standards - which you seem to agree too). It was you who quoted "it is widely accepted" and getting frustrated.

It is ignorant to say IR did not have any hit during that time... There were many and some like Veera, Guna, Meera are my favorite too. But if you ask me to choose my 10 favorite IR albums there will be none from this period or later. That's what is I consider as "widely accepted".

Murali Srinivas
10th April 2012, 11:58 PM
App,

Just as Nerd and Plum had pointed out it is more of Paavam Paavam Rajakumaran that was remade as GV. The song picturised in Bombay has a surprise in store for you in case you have not watched the song in TV or elsewhere.

Plum,

Lesa Lesa was more or less Summer in Bethlehem but SIB was directed by Sibi Malayil that had Suresh Gobi and Jayaram in lead roles with Lal playing a cameo.

A-S,

You missed out in the first post but corrected it in the next. Yes, I am referring to Panakkaaran. Dharmadurai was the last movie directed by Rajasekar before he died at a relatively young age.

Raghu,

The heroine in the song was Suchithra, a mallu girl who somehow couldn't make it big in the cine industry.

Regards

Plum
11th April 2012, 12:14 AM
...But rumouredly, made it big with Priyadarshan ;-)

Avadi to America
11th April 2012, 12:20 AM
All the 35+ fellas posting in this thread are so against sinna thambi. appram yaarubaa indha padaththai hit aakkinadhu? :lol:

Nerd, i am not in 35+ but i still hate the songs from chinathambi at the core....i do not know why... could be Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Vasu.

Bala (Karthik)
11th April 2012, 12:25 AM
And I always go to madhura marikkozhunthu vaasam after this song. They both sound a little similar (the charanams esp). Same raaga? Super song. Super album :-D :-D :-D
Mayamalavagowla raagam (is there a shift in raagam towards the end of the 2nd lude 3:40 - 3:55?).
However, like app, to me the arrangement sounds very similar to Meenamma Meenamma (sarasaangi raagamaam)

Bala (Karthik)
11th April 2012, 12:29 AM
I used to/still hate Sinna Thambi passionately. Puke. (Except Annan's all time favorite track)
I used to think the songs were also not great. Fell in love with Aracha Sandhanam subsequently. Not that I dont like the other songs but there is a kind of a stigma...

app_engine
11th April 2012, 12:51 AM
nanRi Nerd, Plum & Murali sir for the details related to the original of GV. I don't think I watched PPRK, so it should be fun to watch GV :-)

Either love or hate, it was difficult to ignore CT & its songs during early 90's :-)

The famous Rajini-Gounder-Vijayashanthi comedy scene had a reference to it too :-)

app_engine
11th April 2012, 01:20 AM
#341 கேளடி என் பாவையே
(கோபுர வாசலிலே, 1991) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0958'&lang=en)

'kELadi en pAvaiyE' of gOpura vAsalilE

It's funny that I've listened to this song a few times while visiting TN but during the same time period never had a chance to pay attention to other better numbers of this movie :oops: Ofcourse, I never knew what movie this was from and neither cared to ask - as this was not that much impressive to me those days.

It's a nice song with the thuLLal singing by SPB as usual - but something was / is lacking. To me, it simply does not have the "IR feel" to it and sounds like a 60's song. I'm even reminded of the GR classic yAradi nee mohini in the second line of the pallavi ('mOgam koNda pOthum thAgam vandha pOdhum' = 'AsaiyuLLa rANi anjidAmalE nee'). So, this song is like 'uLundhanganji' to me :-) Since that comparison comes to mind each time I listen to this, let me write a para about that dish, which most of my associates (i.e. outside of my mother-side-relatives) weren't aware of.

Perhaps most TN-ers know the two uses of uLundham paruppu ('urad dAL' as called by northies, sold with or without skin):

a) As an important ingradient of idly-dOsai batter
b) mixed with kadugu for the 'thALikkal' process of dishes like sAmbAr

Northies have their more important third use :
c) As an ingradient in dAL makhAni (and other mixed dAL curries)

What only few TN-ers know (perhaps the south-TN speciality) is the fourth use of this paruppu - a quickie dish called 'uLundhanganji'. My mom or mother-side relatives prepared that dish when they didn't want to spend a lot of time in kitchen. Since this is a "take alone" dish - essentially a kanji, with uLundu main - requiring nothing extra to go with, the job gets done pretty fast and whether the consumers liked it or not they didn't have a choice :lol:

I always felt it was a "punishment dish" (like jail kaLi) to which a lecture also was often added when we protested (that uLundu strengthens the hip of girls / required for them to have strength later on during delivery etc).

This is a uLundhukkanji song by IR standards!

app_engine
11th April 2012, 01:41 AM
#342 வருது வருது இளங்காத்து
(பிரம்மா, 1991, ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0423'&lang=en)

'varudhu varudhu iLangAththu' of brahmmA

A Janaki sweetie song where SPB adds to the taste! rAsA worked on exclusive rhythm arrangement to embellish the number and it's so delightful to listen each time. Interestingly, this number is similar to 'kAdhal kavidhaikaL padiththidum nEram' in my case (never listened to it at the time of release or during that decade but heard / appreciated only in the recent years due to it being accidentally in the CD of a relative). That it lived for a decade and beyond to reach me proves beyond doubt that some people in TN enjoyed this song at the time of arrival and later :-)

An internet search about this movie tells me that Satyaraj acted with Kushbu and Subash was the director. Absolutely no idea about anything else on this movie. I think it will be a similar case with me for most IR movies of the 90's, unless they had Kamal or Rajini. So, fellow hubbers need to fill-in more details about such numbers - as to whether the songs were really hits, how did the movie fare etc. Regardless of those facts & figures, this is a thoroughly enjoyable number and I've listened to this umpteen number of times during long drives. A delight to listen in car / van as the recording quality seems to be excellent as well!

kiru
11th April 2012, 03:16 AM
#341 கேளடி என் பாவையே
(கோபுர வாசலிலே, 1991) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0958'&lang=en)

.... I'm even reminded of the GR classic yAradi nee mohini in the second line of the pallavi ('mOgam koNda pOthum thAgam vandha pOdhum' = 'AsaiyuLLa rANi anjidAmalE nee'). So, this song is like 'uLundhanganji' to me :-) Since that comparison comes to mind each time I listen to this, let me write a para about that dish, which most of my associates (i.e. outside of my mother-side-relatives) weren't aware of.

Damn..I did not notice this before.. seems very plausible ..now that you mention it.

Perhaps most TN-ers know the two uses of uLundham paruppu ('urad dAL' as called by northies, sold with or without skin):

Actually, ulundu kaLi in the sweet version is very tasty. Toasted/powdered ulundu is used to make this with jaggery.
You dont want to take ulundu easily ..lots of vitamin E .. you know it is good for you :-)

This is a uLundhukkanji song by IR standards!

Yeah..I never liked this song. But the album recording quality is good (as you have observed).

V_S
11th April 2012, 04:32 AM
KELadi en PaavayE - One of the best song in the album. Very trendy song and will still appeal to today's generation and trend. The accordion and piano gives that spanish and jazz touch. Just like the accordion expands and contracts, the tune is also expands and contracts like that, if you observe closely. I would die to listen to the prelude alone with that mind-blowing whistle. The way Maestro punctuates every line with that piano run again is a beauty. The tune is very light and singing by SPB is top class with his trade-mark laughs and yodeling. Listen when SPB sings 'aLLi' for the last time he sings aLLi sErkavEndum. Extra accent will be given. Master Blaster! Only one! The last two lines of charanam is a stealer. Very minimalistic arrangements. If this song is released today, every one will lap it up for its minimalistic arrangements, casual and trendy approach. I could feel some similarity between this song and Vaangum Panathukkum (Dhoni). Very fresh tune and trendy in nature which sure will make our hearts lighter after a difficult day. I can listen to this beauty any time, any number of times. Idha pOi Ulundankanji'nu solliteengaLE. :sad: This song sounds like a 60's song? Wow! Sometimes I use to wonder how tastes differ.

I challenge if any composer can compose a similar song today. If he does, he would be in limelight, I say!

V_S
11th April 2012, 05:00 AM
The problem with Ilaiyaraaja (not us) is since he composed 1000's of songs like a machine, many seem to take his songs for granted (I mean even IR fans). Many does not know its actual value as the songs are available in abundant, more than we ask for. Even if we skip/ignore half of his songs, still we can manage to find excellent songs according to our taste. So we can tend to skip one by one till we get the best one according our best taste. Ithu nalla irukkE. No, I am wrong. Ithavida Ithu nalla irukkE. There is no end to it. Can we have this liberty with other composers? Please think about it for a moment. I would imagine if he scored only in 100's, what would happen?

kiru
11th April 2012, 05:36 AM
V_S ..agreed on the orchestration.. must be the lyrics that is misleading us ..even if you think the tune is modern..
Here is an excerpt from Dire Straits' lyrics's - replace trumpet with accordion :-)

"And a crowd of young boys they're fooling around in the corner
Drunk and dressed in their best brown baggies and their platform soles
They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
It ain't what they call rock and roll"

genesis
11th April 2012, 05:52 AM
Can we have this liberty with other composers? Please think about it for a moment.

Yes I do. I not only reject some songs of most composers; I reject most songs of few composers (I do not even give it a try).

There is nothing wrong in going for the best!! Just because I declare myself an IR fan, I do not have to take everything he has to offer. If I do, there is no difference between me and the followers of political leaders who blindly trust their leaders. This kind of "unquestionable" loyalty will lead to disaster in most cases.

V_S
11th April 2012, 06:15 AM
I think you quoted only the portion you want to answer. But the main question lies in what you have not quoted. I am not even talking about his unknown/rare songs. That's why I told even if we skip more than half of the songs, we have enough to enjoy. Still we complain even from his best compositions (chinna thambi, a case here) which was hailed all over, is only possible only for IR and his fans. That's what my point is. I never told you have to blindly follow all that he offers. Even I cannot do that.

V_S
11th April 2012, 06:34 AM
kiru,
Here is the lyrics. I am not sure what you found as misleading. The challenging part of the lyrics is you cannot put longer words as the structure of the tune is little uneven and short. The uneven part gives the sweetness in the tune also. You can find this in charanam portion. Given this challenge the lyricist has come out well with rhythmic words with good meaning fitting the sandham perfectly. I sounds well with the tune. The sandham, meter'kku matter, matter'kku meter ellam ellam perfect :smile:. Please let me know what else is contradicting/mis-leading in the lyrics, which you cannot enjoy fully. The interludes again are just fabulous.

கேளடி என் பாவையே
ஆடவன் உன் தேவையே
மோஹம் கொண்ட போதும்
தாகம் வந்த போதும்
ஆண்மை தானே காவல் காக்க வேண்டும்
ஆசையோடு அள்ளி சேர்க்க வேண்டும்
ஆண்மை தானே காவல் காக்க வேண்டும்
ஆசையோடு அள்ளி சேர்க்க வேண்டும்

தன்னை தானே சுற்றி வாழும் பூமி போலே (beautifully written)
என்னை நானும் சுற்றி வந்த வாழ்விலே (beautifully written)
நித்தம் பூமி சுற்றி ஓடும் சூரியன் போல் (beautifully written)
பாவை உன்னை நானும் சுற்றி வந்ததேன்
ஒன்றில் ஒன்று சேர்த்து வைக்கும் சாமிதான் அம்மா
உன்னை என்னை சேர்த்து வைக்க கோபம் ஏனம்மா ஹஹா
ஒன்றில் ஒன்று சேர்த்து வைக்கும் சாமிதான் அம்மா
உன்னை என்னை சேர்த்து வைக்க கோபம் ஏனம்மா
என் சொந்தம் நீ
என் சொர்க்கம் நீ
இணைந்திட வா
கனிந்திடு
கலந்திடு
இன்பம் பொங்கும் என்றுமே

கானம் பாடும் வீணை நாடும் வாடலாமா (beautifully written)
மீட்டும் வேளை ராகம் இன்றி போகுமா (beautifully written)
வானம் பார்த்த பூமி போல ஆகலாமா (beautifully written)
தென்றல் தேடும் பூவை போன்ற பூவையே
சேவல் இன்றி பெட்டை ஒன்று வீணில் வாழுதே
காவல் இன்றி கன்னி இங்கு கானம் பாடுதே
சேவல் இன்றி பெட்டைஒன்று வீணில் வாழுதே
காவல் இன்றி கன்னி இங்கு கானம் பாடுதே
நினைத்தது
நடந்தது
தொடர்ந்தம்மா
சிலிர்த்தது
சிலிர்ந்தத்து (I doubt this word)
இன்னும் இங்கு வெட்கமா

genesis
11th April 2012, 06:34 AM
Still we complain even from his best compositions (chinna thambi, a case here) which was hailed all over, is only possible only for IR and his fans. That's what my point is.

Sorry V_S - I have to disagree about CT. It may be better composition than most Deva songs or all SAR songs, but I have no doubt in saying CT is NOT one of his best!!

Plum
11th April 2012, 09:20 AM
Mr Genesis - don't change the goalposts and take the high horse. Neither is V-S a blind worshipper nor are you an englightened music (loving) messiah. You clearly questioned the hit status of Chinna Thambi in your initial posts - not the quality of it. Later you backtracked with the intellectual dishonesty typical of such claimers - and something that annoys me to the core in people. Now you are throwing smokescreens about blind worshipping. Abominable!

jaiganes
11th April 2012, 09:30 AM
Yes I do. I not only reject some songs of most composers; I reject most songs of few composers (I do not even give it a try).

There is nothing wrong in going for the best!! Just because I declare myself an IR fan, I do not have to take everything he has to offer. If I do, there is no difference between me and the followers of political leaders who blindly trust their leaders. This kind of "unquestionable" loyalty will lead to disaster in most cases.
illai oru paechukku kaekkaren.. appdi enna disaster nadandhudum? avanavan rasippu avanavanukku.. hubbai dhaan kattam katti kodu kizhichu pirichaache..

Plum
11th April 2012, 09:31 AM
1. App - youtube keladi en paavaiye. It is the surprise mumbai song that MS alluded to. Trust us and enjoy the surprise :) 2. I agree with aff_eng - this song is somewhat unIrish. The accordions and arrangement in genral sort of refer Hindi composers that IR normally doesn't do reference of - Viz. Shank-Jai and OP Nayyar. 3. The tune is very weak and lacks melodic attraction, all of which add up to an average song by IR standards, especially when placed next to Kaadhal Kavidhaigal, Thaalattum Poongatru and the under-rated naadham ezhundhadhadi, which app is not going to discuss in this thread :(

Plum
11th April 2012, 09:37 AM
Not to mention a riotous Devadhai Pol, which withstood murderous attack from the inside from Mano, Arunmozhi etc.

genesis
11th April 2012, 12:26 PM
Mr Genesis - don't change the goalposts and take the high horse. Neither is V-S a blind worshipper nor are you an englightened music (loving) messiah. You clearly questioned the hit status of Chinna Thambi in your initial posts - not the quality of it. Later you backtracked with the intellectual dishonesty typical of such claimers - and something that annoys me to the core in people. Now you are throwing smokescreens about blind worshipping. Abominable!

Never questioned the hit status of CT songs - please do not misquote.

raajarasigan
11th April 2012, 12:32 PM
Not to mention a riotous Devadhai Pol, which withstood murderous attack from the inside from Mano, Arunmozhi etc.this is my most favourite in this album :neutral:

Plum
11th April 2012, 01:46 PM
Genesis - I am sorry I don't misquote. I am not going to let you wriggle out of this with verbal gymnastics. You said "CT songs became popular because the movie became hit.". That they were average is your (and my) opinion. But that they became hits only because of the movie is an implication that the songs weren't hit by themselves. Which is grossly wrong. If anything, the movie was a hit because of the songs as app mentioned. You should atleast stand by what you said - in my book, this is intellectual dishonesty (I.e) manufacturing a diametrically opposite position just to wriggle out of the discomfort caused by lack of solidity of a previous opinion expressed.

Plum
11th April 2012, 01:51 PM
RR - edhukku :( ? Riotous songnu dhaane sonnen? Its just that Mano put me off with his portions. I guess I was wrong - Don't think Neps alias Amozhi was in this song. And I am quite happy with the contribution of Bijoy's uncle and Tiruchi Logu's son(can't remember if it was Maha or Thiyaga or Deepan) and Malaysia(was he there in this song?). But Nagoor Babu is intolerable as ever.

PARAMASHIVAN
11th April 2012, 03:20 PM
Raghu,

The heroine in the song was Suchithra, a mallu girl who somehow couldn't make it big in the cine industry.

Regards

Thanks Murali sir :) For some reason, I thought she was the actress in "Guna" !

PARAMASHIVAN
11th April 2012, 03:26 PM
The tune is very light and singing by SPB is top class with his trade-mark laughs and yodeling. Listen when SPB sings 'aLLi' for the last time he sings aLLi sErkavEndum.

Very well said! SPB improvise this song with his trade mark "Navarasams"! some how it remainds of some 60's hollywood pop like songs!

PARAMASHIVAN
11th April 2012, 03:29 PM
Not to mention a riotous Devadhai Pol, which withstood murderous attack from the inside from Mano, Arunmozhi etc.

Yes double barrel gun attack by Mano, Arunmozhi. But thanks to MV one can just hear it once!

Nerd
11th April 2012, 05:45 PM
RR - edhukku :( ? Riotous songnu dhaane sonnen? Its just that Mano put me off with his portions. I guess I was wrong - Don't think Neps alias Amozhi was in this song. And I am quite happy with the contribution of Bijoy's uncle and Tiruchi Logu's son(can't remember if it was Maha or Thiyaga or Deepan) and Malaysia(was he there in this song?). But Nagoor Babu is intolerable as ever.
Who is Bijoy's ungkil? Yes no Neps there. Its Malaysia/Mano/Voice of Mohan ji/ Son of Logu.

Btw, you have forgotten Priyasagi in your ranking :mrgreen: My top 3 from this album is Naadham/Kaadhal KavithaigaL/Thaalaattum not necessarily in that order. Vanmaiyaana kaNdanam (thanks V_S saar) to kELadi - uLunthukkanji comparison. I am pretty sure accordion is director-ask in that song. Ivlo periya uruvam kuttiyoondu violin-O kiththaar-O thookkittu vandhaa nallaavaa irukkum :-) :-) Like V_Sji said the piano/keyboard(?) punches nallaavE irukkum and SPB of course. My least favorite is priyasagi. Maththa 5-umE all time favorites. But ellaaththukkum mEla the title BGM. Idhayam range.

PARAMASHIVAN
11th April 2012, 05:58 PM
you have forgotten Priyasagi in your ranking .

yOv over ah KadupEtha vEndam :evil: (joking :) ) another nice song mercilessly Murdered by Sothapal Thilagam :banghead: :banghead:

Plum
11th April 2012, 06:58 PM
Yeah I had priyasagi in mind but forgot to add. Probably the last rank in the album. Bijoy's unckil = voice of Mohan :noteeth:

PARAMASHIVAN
11th April 2012, 07:42 PM
ah Yes, Just remembered "Nadam Ezhunthathadi" by KJY and SJ wonder full song!

PARAMASHIVAN
11th April 2012, 09:51 PM
Keladi en paaviyE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_KfY03JGKo&feature=player_detailpage

PARAMASHIVAN
11th April 2012, 10:16 PM
slight digression

//was Alaigal Oivathillai re made in Malayalam as Seethakoka Chiluka ?? See Song below //

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prHj7RNVTnQ&feature=player_detailpage

Plum
11th April 2012, 10:19 PM
Nerd oh yes the title theme :bow:. I'll go one step further and place it alongside the title theme of idhaya..ththai thirudaadhae

PARAMASHIVAN
11th April 2012, 10:23 PM
Nerd oh yes the title theme :bow:. I'll go one step further and place it alongside the title theme of idhaya..ththai thirudaadhae

Antha Imasiaya Vera Gnyabaga paduthavEnuma :sigh2:

Plum
11th April 2012, 10:45 PM
Yov title themela nagoor babu kedaiyaadhu

PARAMASHIVAN
12th April 2012, 02:13 PM
Yov title themela nagoor babu kedaiyaadhu

vOk :oops:

Devaraagam
12th April 2012, 08:20 PM
Hi,

Thought of sharing the title musiic of GV. still I remember this music as I watched this movie 1st day 1st show and the title blown up me like anything...watched the movie just because of IR.

PC sriram (I believe) done good photography work and IR RR for his photography is awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppNDnGyrw-0

app_engine
12th April 2012, 08:37 PM
nanRi makkaLE, for your observations & comments!

V_Sji & Nerd,
Sorry for calling the 'kELadi en pAvaiyE' as ordinary...like mentioned, tastes differ :-)

Also, although it's difficult to contain IR within a defined set of specs, each of us can have "my own set of standard expectations in an IR song" and this song is somehow not within that framework :-)

Since Murali sir has mentioned about a "surprise element", I'm skipping the youtube and will wait till I watch the movie (curiosity question - is the "big figure needing accordian" Mohanlal?):-)

V_S
12th April 2012, 09:41 PM
App,
Please don't feel sorry, i was just surprised that's all. In fact, I have to feel sorry for those nitpicking.

app_engine
12th April 2012, 09:46 PM
#343 எங்கிருந்தோ இளங்குயிலின்
(பிரம்மா, 1991) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0424'&lang=en)

'engirundhO iLanguyilin' of brahmmA

What a sweet, joyous ride this SPB solo is! Like I mentioned in the case of varudhu varudhu song, this too came through a 'relative-given-disk' and I cannot say for sure how much popular this number was in TN at the time of arrival. However, it did reach me a decade later and I must say this is a very interesting song!

And, this is a surefire IR/SPB special, maintaining all the basic ingradients the combo is well-known for - iLamaiththuLLal, innovative rhythm structure for the pallavi, comfortable tablA accompaniment for the sweet saraNam and lovely interludes! These are complemented by non-irritating lyrics which is sufficient to keep this song among the top selections to listen in any mood! And it does turn a dull mood into a jubilant one like what simple sugary stuff -like donuts- does to a depressed person :-)

Excuse me for the food comparison again, this IR-SPB special shouldn't be branded as a western donut kind. This is something local & special - so I would associate "chillu karuppatti" with this song :-) Those who are from the south TN region (thooththukkudi area) die for this even when they live elsewhere. Every trip to sondha ooru forces them to bring back this item packed in panai Olai boxes - to enjoy one or two each day for months :-)