View Full Version : Raja's Gems - the latest one you heard...Part 3

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

raj_musing
20th October 2010, 11:05 PM
Thiruththeril varum silaiyo -a good old melody

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRXpcvRwiYo&feature=related

Sureshs65
21st October 2010, 10:42 AM
Wow Raj. Thanks for the youtube link. I have never heard that song before!!! Lovely melody. Sometimes I am happy that I was not in Chennai during the 80s. This is helping me discover some lovely melodies like this now :D

Current listening to 'indha ammanukku' and 'kathudadi raakozhi' from "Deiva Vaaku'. While 'valli valli' is the more famous song, these two songs are extremely energetic. They were introduced to me by our fellow hubber equanimus. My thanks to him.

rajkumarc
21st October 2010, 11:56 AM
Thiruththeril varum silaiyo -a good old melody

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRXpcvRwiYo&feature=related

raj_musing - Lovely song, lovely location, all good except for KRV's outfit in the second half of the song :lol: <dig>Somehow that keeps coming back anytime I hear about the song. Some horror scenes cannot be erased from your memory</dig>

Suresh - Valli Valli is my pick, what a song, beautifully sung SJ & IR, one of my favorites from the 90s. Need to listen to the other two you mentioned.

I'm listening to Oh Intha Ezhai Geetham from Devan on my new sound system enjoying the grandeur of the orchestration. Sung with perfect emotion by the Maestro. I like those songs regarding the social anger from IR, these are kind of the precursor to the Gaayam-2 songs.

Plum
21st October 2010, 12:03 PM
thiruthEril varum silai.

Never tire of rehashing a joke on this:
KRV looks more like silai varum thEr than thEril varum silai in this song.

rajkumarc
21st October 2010, 12:08 PM
thiruthEril varum silai.

KRV looks more like silai varum thEr than thEril varum silai in this song. :rotfl: too good Plum

Sanjeevi
21st October 2010, 12:11 PM
thiruthEril varum silai.

KRV looks more like silai varum thEr than thEril varum silai in this song.

:lol:

eppadiyo Sivajikku athuthan perfect match :P

Sureshs65
21st October 2010, 05:59 PM
Plum,

For a minute I thought you had written that KRV resembled 'selai kattiya ther' !!! Let us :yessir: before thumburu comes here :D

Sureshs65
21st October 2010, 06:00 PM
rajkumar,

Yes. 'valli valli' is the pick. I had also listened to only that earlier. Do listen to these two songs. You won't be disappointed.

tvsankar
21st October 2010, 06:23 PM
Valli valli ena vandhan - Greatest pick of IR..

Sivaranjani and Mohanam raagathai - paint panni irupar... Raja..

Sivaranjani and mohanam - shades like a kalaidascope.

Beautiful rendition of IR and SJ.........

Querida
22nd October 2010, 09:21 AM
Sokkunukku Vacha Sundariye from Kaaval Geetham

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs=%27SNGIRR1385%27&lang=undefined

Attached to this song with very first listen
SPB's voice is too good...
Opening didn't allude to how the song would go until the humming part...sweet duet :musicsmile:

tvsankar
22nd October 2010, 01:09 PM
Que,
Thanks for the nice pick.

SPB and SJ - ivanga rendition - paalil vizhundha pazham madhiri.,....

edhanala - edhuku sweet nu , pirichu parka mudiyadha madhiri

Plum
22nd October 2010, 03:59 PM
dhUrathil nAn kaNda - nizhalgal
@
vennellO gOdhari andham - sithAra

Latter got a natl award for S Janaki.
The passages from
kAdhal enum gItham pAdi urugum
oru bEdhaiyAna mIra
to
aadum kAtrilE pudhu rAgam thOndrumO

The way in which the swaras escalate, twist, turn - will make MSV proud.

kAdhal enum gItham pAdi urugum
oru bEdhaiyAna mIra
This line reeks of dhaabam and the helplessness of untold love
vELai varum bOdhu vandhu kAkkum
karam kAkkum endru
vINai mIttum dEvi uLLamE...
Hope springs eternal- and so does the tune
thIrAdha AsaiyOdum
thALadha dhAgathOdum
kAlai mAlai pUjai seidhum
kEtkavillaiyA?
Swara Escalation that I was talking about. A demanding change in the voice and the tune - how the hell can you ignore my intense devotion. That last kEtkavillaiyA literally stands up and questions

kanavu pOla vAzhvil endhan...kavalai yAvum mAra vEndum
half-request, half-demand
kanavu pOla vAzhvil endhan...kavalai yAvum mAra vEndum
Now, escaclation of voice and tune - half-demand, half-request - not the change in order :lol:

irakkamum karuNaiyum unakkillaiyO?
again, a festering, accusing question

nALum enai ALum thuNai nIyE ena vAzhvEn
Ultra escalation in the swaras now. This is a statement of intent. Heck, I worship you and I shall. Try stopping me...
maRavEn, maRavEn, maRavEn
Further accelaration. Final Declaration
un ninaivugaL en manadhinil
uRavin perumai maRavEn
varum dhinam varum adhil
uRavugaL kalappadhum oru sugam
Definitive, adamant, no-holds-barred

Now, having declared intent, longing, frustration, angst, yearning, there is the relief of having vented and the tune takes a slow detour.

vAnamum mEgamum pOlavE....
vAnamum mEgamum pOlavE....
nIndhiya kAlangaL Ayiram
reminiscience of what was - reflective with a wistful sigh and the tune takes a detour that does capture this
mEgam kalaindha vAnil thanimai
indru nAn kaNdadhum uNmaiyE..
Wistful Sigh

dhinam azhaithEn....prabu unaiyE...
A desparate, feeble reiteration of the plea - the beauty is the plea is reiterated but having vented a long plea just now with intensity, this is a feeble one

Adum kAtrilE pudhu rAgam thONdrumO..
resigned acceptance and a feeble hope...
..bridge to the pallavi.

Tour-de-force of a song and paints an emotional landscape with mind numbing details - just the sort of music that I like and relish.

Interestingly, the telugu song, OTOH, suddenly loses steam near the end and the some of the rapturing detours in the last are not retained.

While S Janaki got the NA for the telugu version, I am astounded at the tamil version which actually is a longer, more rewarding one with additional tune bursts.

Heck, this is what I listen to music for - drain me emotionally and make me live through the emotional capture of a heart frozen in time.
And that aspect, and when I say this it is not a typical fanboy statement in this case, Only IR Fossible

Plum
22nd October 2010, 04:00 PM
BTW, I havent listened to the song physically for some time. Just mind-la recapture paNNinadhukkE Emotional Drain Agi pOchu - Raja :evil:

thumburu
22nd October 2010, 05:31 PM
[tscii:90b6ceb5ec]
Plum,

For a minute I thought you had written that KRV resembled 'selai kattiya ther' !!! Let us :yessir: before thumburu comes here :D

Aiyyoo Sureshji, Iam nowhere close to being a KRV fan. But Iam still ok with that saree clad , yet agile and "maadern maami" in her , running up and down the streams and mountains all for her putthar , for the evergreen “mazhai varuvadhu mayilukku”. But “thiru theril varum malaiyo ? ” !!! Iam blessed to have not seen the video till date and all you guys have said enough to last for a life time.
Now, coming to the song, that jingling bells and flute response to them in the prelude prelude always sends a chill of excitement down me. A great Mohanam with 2 major nitpicks. One is already cried over and the other one is the jarring offkey singing of a high note by surprisingly the greatest singer of our times PS.
அவரும் ஒரு வேளை அன்த அம்மணியோட "maadern dress" visuals பார்த்து பயன்து போயிட்டாரொ என்னவோ?[/tscii:90b6ceb5ec]

Sureshs65
22nd October 2010, 07:09 PM
அவரும் ஒரு வேளை அன்த அம்மணியோட "maadern dress" visuals பார்த்து பயன்து போயிட்டாரொ என்னவோ?[/tscii]

Sureshs65
22nd October 2010, 07:12 PM
Plum,

I was about to write that I don't have the physical song with me right now and I am listening to it in mind voice, when I saw you have already said that same. "aadum kaatrile.." What a way to join the pallavi again. Wonderful writeup. I think the last time you wrote such a lengthy writeup was for the Maharishi song, 'sumam prati sumam' I think.

Plum
22nd October 2010, 07:40 PM
sureshji,
I knew you would respond and I sort of had a premonition that you will recall the Maharshi write-up.

nAn ezhudharadhaiyEllAm correctA gnAbagam vechurukkIngaLEnnu nenaikkum bOdhu...

Yeah, the song overwhelmed me suddenly. I dont even remember how it started playing in my mind all of a sudden today.

Oh I love these idle pleasures - so glad to have such songs securely stored in corners of the mind and bursting forth spontaneously all of a sudden. Recently, I haven't been listening to much music physically . Somehow, I seem to have reached a stage where I yearn for no more from IR. It seems like he has filled me enough with music that I dont even need to listen physically to please myself anymore. I don't mind sounding like Abbas in Padayappa - What a man!

app_engine
22nd October 2010, 07:44 PM
Plum,
Great write-up!
:clap:

தூரத்தில் நான் கண்ட உன் முகம் - ராசாவின் பாடல்களிலேயே கொஞ்சம் அரிதான வகை. ஜானகி அருமையாக அதற்கு உயிர் கொடுத்திருக்கிறார்!

மனதில் உறுதி வேண்டும் படத்தின் "கண்ணா வருவாயா" பாட்டும் இதே "வகை" என்று தோன்றுகிறது. (ஒப்பீடாக அல்ல, வகைப்படுத்தலில் ஏதோ உறவு இருப்பதாக எனக்குத்தோன்றுகிறது. பலமுறை மனதில் ப்ளே செய்யும் போது ரெண்டும் வந்து குழம்பும்).

Sureshs65
22nd October 2010, 08:37 PM
Plum,

Looks like we are all getting old and very predictable now :D

I can understand how you feel. Sometime I also get tired when I hear an hitherto unheard album and there are many gems in there. When will we finish? is the question I keep asking myself. Then I relax a bit and start digging again. Atleast I am sure treasure is guaranteed :)

jaiganes
22nd October 2010, 08:54 PM
Plum,
Great write-up!

தூரத்தில் நான் கண்ட உன் முகம் - ராசாவின் பாடல்களிலேயே கொஞ்சம் அரிதான வகை. ஜானகி அருமையாக அதற்கு உயிர் கொடுத்திருக்கிறார்!

மனதில் உறுதி வேண்டும் படத்தின் "கண்ணா வருவாயா" பாட்டும் இதே "வகை" என்று தோன்றுகிறது. (ஒப்பீடாக அல்ல, வகைப்படுத்தலில் ஏதோ உறவு இருப்பதாக எனக்குத்தோன்றுகிறது. பலமுறை மனதில் ப்ளே செய்யும் போது ரெண்டும் வந்து குழம்பும்).
The song is a masterpiece and plum has provided a wonderful perspective on that. The swara transition - I would not know much about that, but from an extreme layman's point of view, it took me 3 to 4 times to understand the full song. coz everytime I heard that song, it sounded different to me - like a chameleon among songs and it continues to evolve (atleast for me). It is a pity that it was not picturized in the movie and went and joined the ranks of puththambudhu kaalai - immortal but never born on screen.
On another note, I think it is a wise move by not picturizing it as it lays out those emotions in a more obvious manner that a film maker might not prefer to in a song sequence.

Plum
22nd October 2010, 09:01 PM
Jai, the song found its way into the screen in telugu. However, as I said, that version fizzles out in the end - maybe, the director found it too hot to handle and hence a watered down version was composed?

rajkumarc
23rd October 2010, 02:09 AM
Very nice post Plum, it will make me listen to this song more attentively now. Thought this song comes in the background in the movie, not sure though.

app_engine
23rd October 2010, 02:13 AM
நான் வணங்குகிறேன் (ஜானகி, லய ராசா, குரு)

app_engine
24th October 2010, 03:46 AM
The judges are hilarious :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbBgMO0vZhY&feature=related

James Vasanthan : "இந்த டிவி ரியாலிட்டி ஷோக்கள்ல இருந்தே சங்கீத ஜாதி முல்லையை ban பண்ணனும்!"

Sarath's comment on 'muththam thinbavaL' -
ஏன் வீட்டில வேற ஒண்ணும் தர மாட்டாங்களா?

Querida
25th October 2010, 02:27 AM
Latest Gem: Ninnai Sarandainthen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jxdt2xCSjo//url)

Raaga's voice has really made me have a penchant for melancholic songs...his voice conveys such a depthless sorrow....i don't know how else to express it...

Plum, it was a pleasure to read your write up...while I treasure the songs from Nizhagal I cannot say I have paid the same amount of attention as you or others have to this song nor do I have the skills to put into words how I feel about many of IR's songs...thank you very much for sharing :)

so glad to have such songs securely stored in corners of the mind and bursting forth spontaneously all of a sudden.

So am I :D it has made my encounters with public transportation that much more bearable! :roll:

Querida
25th October 2010, 02:35 AM
James Vasanthan : "இந்த டிவி ரியாலிட்டி ஷோக்கள்ல இருந்தே சங்கீத ஜாதி முல்லையை ban பண்ணனும்!"

:lol: Poor guy...but it's true all the same...how many "Paatukku Paatu" contestants have totally mangled this song! :( I always rush off to hear the original version just to overcome the trauma... :sigh2:

Plum
25th October 2010, 10:39 AM
Plum,
Great write-up!

Yes, app, kaNNA varuvAyA always did, and does, remind me of this song. However, it is much diluted. Infact, the telugu version which is 80% the same, by itself, doesnt match up to the lost-in-the-realms-of-history original. While the lack of association with any visuals does give us a free visualisation of the song, it still takes it away from the cradles of visual familiarity that keeps any song alive more than its real life time.

As someone said, though, the song does play in the background, I think, after Charuhaasan's demise in the movie.

Plum
25th October 2010, 10:41 AM
Latest Gem: Ninnai Sarandainthen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jxdt2xCSjo//url)

Raaga's voice has really made me have a penchant for melancholic songs...his voice conveys such a depthless sorrow....i don't know how else to express it...

Plum, it was a pleasure to read your write up...while I treasure the songs from Nizhagal I cannot say I have paid the same amount of attention as you or others have to this song nor do I have the skills to put into words how I feel about many of IR's songs...thank you very much for sharing :)

so glad to have such songs securely stored in corners of the mind and bursting forth spontaneously all of a sudden.

So am I :D it has made my encounters with public transportation that much more bearable! :roll:

Thanks Querida. It is only occasionally that one gets words to express what one feels about IR songs. An overwhelming majority pass by the mind everyday uneventfully as strict, one-off and personal celebration.

Sureshs65
25th October 2010, 11:30 AM
Had bought a CD some time back with had this film called "Nalla Naal' along with 'Nane Raja Naane Mandhiri' and 'Karimedu Karuvayan'. I had never heard about 'Nalla Naal' earlier and wasn't sure how the songs would be. As usual, they turn out to be top class. Any of our regulars can provide some details about this movie? app_eng, usha?

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00403&lang=en

Listening to 'podu thandanathom'. Wonderfully sung by SPB and Janaki. The first interlude is an excellent example of smooth jazz. All the songs in this movie are nice and are vintage Raja.

Sanjeevi
25th October 2010, 12:26 PM
Suresh my fav song in Nalla Naal is the ghost song 'Vetta Veli PottalilE'

app_engine
25th October 2010, 02:57 PM
Sureshji,

IIRC, nalla nAL is a Vijayakanth movie. 'pOdu thandhAnaththam' used to be one of my top favourites when it got released (ennA adi! It is another 'Asaiya kAththula', that too with SPB/SJ).

I haven't heard it in a long time. Two lines I still remember :

மேலே பாரு பாதாளம்
கீழே பாரு ஆகாயம்
நீயும் நானும் சேரும் போது
மாறிப்போச்சு பூலோகம் (or may be பூகோளம்) :lol:

tvsankar
25th October 2010, 04:18 PM
Kozhi koovudhu Viji dhan heroine..

vetta veli potalilae
natta nadu ravilinae
thotarava thedugirai

indha paatu dhan enaku apo romba pidichu poi,
padam parthe aganam nu mudivu panni,
padam vandhu parthen..

paatoda mood ku - konjam effect kuda illadha oru picturisation.

Sureshs65
25th October 2010, 10:01 PM
Thanks app and Usha for the info. I am enjoying all the songs of this movie now.

Once again listened to the songs of "Akka' in a loop. Once I get into these songs it just continues on and on!!!

Devaraagam
25th October 2010, 10:07 PM
Suresh...

Its good combination. 1st when I saw the combination of nalla naal, karimedu karuvaayan and NRNM, bit hesitated..then bought that CD for Mayanginen and Degam songs.

following songs are good ones along with NRNM.

1. silukku thavanai (by reading the song name, I thought its a dance number for Silk Smitha but surprised to hear this melody number)
2. podu thanthanatham
3. vetta veli
4. katha kelu katha kelu karimettu
5. kaatukkulae

Hope my memories are correct.

Sureshs65
25th October 2010, 11:34 PM
DR,

Your memory is quite good. I especially love the 'ulagam suttudada' number from KK.

Querida
26th October 2010, 04:37 AM
Vedham Nee (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38oDI2vvrjQ//url)

What I enjoy most about this thread is when listening to a song posted it almost always leads to me discovering yet another gem...such as this one... :musicsmile:

rajkumarc
26th October 2010, 11:02 AM
Kanavil Midhakkum from Eera Vizhi Kaaviyangal. The problem with listening to this album is it would take a while to come out of it.

Isn't this song in the psychedelic genre? For me, it evokes the same kind of feel as some of the slow songs of Pink Floyd.

Thendral Idai and Pazhaya Sogangal are two other songs in the same album probably with the same feel.

Plum
26th October 2010, 03:52 PM
Kanavil Midhakkum from Eera Vizhi Kaaviyangal. The problem with listening to this album is it would take a while to come out of it.

Isn't this song in the psychedelic genre? For me, it evokes the same kind of feel as some of the slow songs of Pink Floyd.

Thendral Idai and Pazhaya Sogangal are two other songs in the same album probably with the same feel.

Yeah, quite an other worldly album.

I'd like Bala Karthik to analyse a little deeper with references to jazz history, and other world music genres.

PARAMASHIVAN
26th October 2010, 05:06 PM
intha maan undhan sontha maan
Tailor made for IR voice , great stuff :notworthy:

tvsankar
26th October 2010, 06:26 PM
vehdam nee - KJY Rocks.........

indha maan undhan sondha maan - IR rocks.

raajarasigan
28th October 2010, 12:45 PM
Uravugal Thodarkathai - Aval Appadithan...

String beauty!!! :D

nitu_krishnan
28th October 2010, 10:59 PM
Varuthu varuthu ilam kaathu... from brahma.. overflowing romantic song..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6YNwkIrMlM&feature=related

dont SPB and SJ get tired of singing well ?

deva malligai poove from nadigan..
Cute-y song...

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs=%27SNGIRR2245%27&lang=en

Dragun
29th October 2010, 09:07 AM
Vaa Vaa Manjal Malare from Rajathi Raja. Great use of harmony.

kiru
30th October 2010, 09:23 AM
adhi kAlai kARRe nillu idhamAna pAdal sollu - dont know the movie/details etc. The starting guitar bit is very pedestrian but once the female singer starts it gets interesting..then the strings join and somewhere the chorus joins as well..you surely know that this is a special song. Usually, has the second half of the charanam set higher and also has strings backing probably to soothe down the high pitch. In this song, the backing is the choral harmony with some strings adding to the rhythm. There is a choral bridge from the interlude to the charanam .. the second one is the best of the two starting at 3:05. I listened to this 45 min in repeat mode on the way home from work.
The choral harmony in this song is something to die for ..explains why I am so obsessed with this man's music. The same old strings..same old aah..aaaha ..chorus but hear the magic.
(Somebody please post a link so everybody can enjoy this)

Querida
30th October 2010, 09:53 AM
adhi kAlai kARRe nillu idhamAna pAdal sollu - dont know the movie/details etc. The starting guitar bit is very pedestrian but once the female singer starts it gets interesting..then the strings join and somewhere the chorus joins as well..you surely know that this is a special song. Usually, has the second half of the charanam set higher and also has strings backing probably to soothe down the high pitch. In this song, the backing is the choral harmony with some strings adding to the rhythm. There is a choral bridge from the interlude to the charanam .. the second one is the best of the two starting at 3:05. I listened to this 45 min in repeat mode on the way home from work.
The choral harmony in this song is something to die for ..explains why I am so obsessed with this man's music. The same old strings..same old aah..aaaha ..chorus but hear the magic.
(Somebody please post a link so everybody can enjoy this)

Great Post Kiru :thumbsup:

Link to song:
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBBAL00001.html

Plum
30th October 2010, 10:44 AM
That was Balabarathy, an IR-ish(not irish) composer who made some strides with Thalai vaasal and Amaravathy but fizzled out later

Sureshs65
30th October 2010, 02:29 PM
Kiru,

Been a while since you visited this place :) Nice to see your post.

kiru
31st October 2010, 01:15 PM
oh man..I was so sure..but so wrong..sorry guys .. hm.. no wonder Rahman went for a totally different style to differentiate himself. Others following the same genre find it difficult to compete and fall by the way side.

venkkiram
1st November 2010, 08:23 AM
oh man..I was so sure..but so wrong..sorry guys .. hm.. no wonder Rahman went for a totally different style to differentiate himself. Others following the same genre find it difficult to compete and fall by the way side.ரஹ்மானிற்கு முன்னோடியாக இந்த விஷயத்தில் இருந்தவர் டி.ராஜேந்தர் என நினைக்கிறேன். இருவருக்குமே ரத்தினக் கம்பளத்தில் வரவேற்பு இருந்தது இந்த புதுமையினாலேயே என நினைக்கிறேன்.

baroque
1st November 2010, 09:51 AM
Like many Ilayaraja music fans, Kiru is also an expert on WCM.
thanks for a kutti attractive write up and Q for the song too.
vinatha.

Sureshs65
1st November 2010, 08:55 PM
Was trying to get some work done and played some random file. Turned out to be 'kavidai paadu kuyile kuyile' song. There was no way for me to concentrate on the work at hand and ended up listening to the full song. Generally whenever I want some work done I never switch on a Raja song in the background. Guaranteed speed breaker.

app_engine
1st November 2010, 09:11 PM
Generally whenever I want some work done I never switch on a Raja song in the background. Guaranteed speed breaker.
:)

Replace "work" with "work-out" and "kavidhai pAdu kuyilE" will help :)

Sureshs65
1st November 2010, 09:26 PM
app_eng,

Very true :D I never work out but I do walk. 'kavidhai paadu' helps me to walk faster !!! :) To be honest I walk more while listening to Raja's music. "Lets stop after the next song" is the refrain!!

visvan1970
1st November 2010, 09:48 PM
my pick is Chandri chanda chanda fm the kannada film usire by Kjy. Vintage maestro.yr 2001.rgds.visu

baroque
2nd November 2010, 05:04 AM
:musicsmile: exquisite கிடார், புல்லாங்குழல் counterpoint in
உனை நினைத்தேன் பூவே பூவே வா ...தென்றல் தேட
பூந்தேனே தேனே வா ...ராகம் கூட ... அன்புள்ள ரஜினிகாந்த்.
lilting மெலடி, magical singing pair of பாலா & ஜானு .. while driving for me this afternoon.
Forever 80s Ilayaraja :musicsmile:
vinatha.

jaiganes
2nd November 2010, 05:09 AM
From 1000 songs thread... read the post by pammalar on MSV-TKR's score for Chandi raani.. and the IR connection..
http://mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=14861&start=645

PARAMASHIVAN
2nd November 2010, 05:25 PM
thaalatuthE vaanam , wow excellent song by the genius :clap:

Highly addictive song

tvsankar
3rd November 2010, 07:52 PM
kaathae kaathae - Bhavadharini - PUnniyavathi

EXCELLENT song to me...........

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00523&lang=en

app_engine
4th November 2010, 08:39 AM
"காதல் ராகமும் கன்னித்தமிழும் ஒன்று சேர்ந்தது போல்" (இந்திரன் சந்திரன்) on youtube :-)

Most of us are familiar with the fantastic second interlude - the drums / piano / strings Raja magic. Kamal enjoys himself - rather treats himself to this wonderful piece of music on screen. Days when he was handsome without meesai, romancing the IPS lady in this song!

Querida
4th November 2010, 09:30 AM

the apple of IR's eye
really captures the epitome of innocence with her sweet voice

Number One example that jumps to mind is her "Mayil Polae"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zyC7vV1wzE

tvsankar
4th November 2010, 09:54 AM

the apple of IR's eye
really captures the epitome of innocence with her sweet voice

Number One example that jumps to mind is her "Mayil Polae"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zyC7vV1wzE

Que,
Nice words for the song. thanks.
S. Mayil polae - Always stands first for Bhava.

some more songs of her in my list are,

1. kadalaiyae kadalaiyae - Bhava and Mano

pl kelunga que. really different output from our Raja

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00094&lang=en

Thavikiren - Time

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00669&lang=en

Bhavadharni yoda voice , padaradhu ellam
nalla irukum........

Querida
4th November 2010, 10:08 AM
Thavikiren, thavikiren is second song that came to mind for Bhava :)

Usha I am hooked to the song "Oru Aalam Poo" from the album you posted... :ty:

whoa bgm is so playful with "circus feel" with "kadalaiyae kadalaiyae" unique pick thanks for sharing Usha :D :thumbsup:

I wonder if this song qualifies to be included in Jaiganes's thread:
"Funky - Looney - Freakout Raaja"??

Have to mention Bhava's contribution to "Azhagi"
with "Dhamakku" and especially with "Olyilae Therivadhu"

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00069&lang=en

tvsankar
4th November 2010, 10:14 AM
que,
thanks. paatu pidichadhu nu sonnadhuku.

Jaiganes dhan sollanam.

Oru alam poovu - nejama que,

nethi night - 5 time kaetutu than thoonga ponen.

romba romba romba kiruku - indha paatuku....

tvsankar
4th November 2010, 10:15 AM
Thavikiren..

Nice interludes. Nice lyrics. Nice singing........... Nice one........

Querida
4th November 2010, 10:22 AM
Looks like it's my night to be crazy about "Oru Aalam Poo" song :)

One more pick with Bhava...

"Kannukku Enna Vendam" from Dhanam

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00742&lang=en

tvsankar
4th November 2010, 10:41 AM
Looks like it's my night to be crazy about "Oru Aalam Poo" song :)

One more pick with Bhava...

"Kannukku Enna Vendam" from Dhanam

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00742&lang=en

its your night...... enjoy...............

night la - amaidhiy yil - IR songs are really Sweeeeeet.........

thumburu
4th November 2010, 04:24 PM
எனக்கு எப்போதுமெ அழுகாச்சின்னா ஒரே allergy. And the 80's was rife with every well fed, rich, romantic duet altering with its poor mal nourished [I mean diluted, minimally orchestrated] sibling, the pathos version. Sample these : "pothi vacha malligai mottu", "adi aathaadi" ,
"vaa vaa anbe " . I always fast forword the latter . But somehow I thankfully allowed this one to run through and I was in for a nice surprise. Iam referring to "veLLai puraa ondru ponadhu kaiyil varaamalae" , the sad version by KJY from "Pudhy kavidhai" . I must admit this one is infact a tad better than the happier one as it showcases the beauty of the "Yaman" scale and has prominent bass lines and interesting counterpoint being played during the charanams

app_engine
4th November 2010, 05:50 PM
poor mal nourished

tvsankar
4th November 2010, 08:55 PM
thumburu,
inum oru paatu - enna pada solaldhae.. naan kanda padi padi puduven.

to me
IR sogam paatu - kaekavae maten. adhilum,

sandhosha paatu elalm soga paata vandha - kandipa - NO.

tvsankar
4th November 2010, 09:07 PM
Raja sir in oru Remix. hahahaa

Thevaikaga..

padam - Thaaiku oru thalatu

song - Ilamai kalam engae - TMS and PS

enna kindal .. lyric il.. hhahaha...

pazhaiya padal pola
pudhiya padal ilai

Harmony Layer a touch panni, paatai decorate panni irupar.

Original Tune ai - spoil pannamal..

IR's Style of Orchestration.........

But one thing - paatu vandha pudhidhil,
indha paatai kaetadhum, unmaiyil - pidikavilai.

Original dhan Best ...... anal, kaalam,
ipodhu - Remix kodumaiyil, kodumai paduthum podhu, indha remix patri yosichen.....

IR kaga solalvilai.

Seiyvana thirundha sei gara kolgai ulla Raja vin
Remix

idhuku per dhan - Remix

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00617&lang=en

app_engine
4th November 2010, 10:58 PM
What a coincidence UshakkA - I was singing this song aloud this morning "பழைய பாடல் போல புதிய பாடல் இல்லை" :-)

ராஜாவை "கர்வி-அப்படி-இப்படி"ன்னு சொல்பவர்கள் யோசிக்க வேண்டியது - இவ்வளவு தாராளமாக சுய எள்ளல் எத்தனை வெற்றியாளர்கள் செய்திருக்கிறார்கள்?

அதுவும் அவரை வெளிப்படையாகத்திட்டித்தீர்த்த டி.எம்.எஸ்ஸையே கூப்பிட்டுப்பாட வைத்ததும்!

One thing - this was not a remix for remix's sake!

It was supposedly for the nostalgia of Shivaji fans - he was on the screen for the old (puthiya paRavai) and this (thAykku oru thAlAttu by Balachandra menon). P Suseela was there in the original and this. Same tune with the lyrical theme of "nostalgia".

There's absolutely no comparison with the "opportunistic" remixwAlAs of recent times!

tvsankar
5th November 2010, 02:27 AM
Got it app..

neengalum nenacheengala indha paatai..
hmmm. same wavelength....

age aradhu dhanae.. adhan.........

app_engine
5th November 2010, 07:33 PM
SP Shailaja version of 'katta vaNdi' last night on youtube (the link popped up on the side when the male version was played at the insistence of my 4 yr old).

Quite a hilarious - no holds barred - video :-) The kuRumbu voice suits the song to a T!

(my daugher was disappointed that there's no "கிக்கிரி புக்கிரி கிக்கிரி புக்கிரி கீக்கீய்" in this version but a dull "பிப்பீ பிப்பீ பிப்பீ பிப்பீ பீய்")

Sureshs65
5th November 2010, 10:29 PM
"nee thoongum nerathil" from 'Manasellam'. Missed it completely when it was released. Was in the 'Raja's songs are not so great nowadays' mode. As usual misteek. Now I listen to this song and am taken in by the melody of this song. Definitely good to put someone to sleep. What a soft song!!!

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1924'&lang=en

tvsankar
5th November 2010, 10:55 PM
suresh,
endha version neenga solradhu..
unga link work agalaiyae....

tvsankar
5th November 2010, 10:55 PM
i love Male version... Hariharan voice.. sweet......

jaiganes
6th November 2010, 12:12 AM
"nee thoongum nerathil" from 'Manasellam'. Missed it completely when it was released. Was in the 'Raja's songs are not so great nowadays' mode. As usual misteek. Now I listen to this song and am taken in by the melody of this song. Definitely good to put someone to sleep. What a soft song!!!

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1924'&lang=en
neenga appdiye "chinna kiliye kiliye" paatayum kelunga. karthik nallaa paadiyirupparu.
that song also was not seriously listened when the album released.

Sureshs65
6th November 2010, 10:55 AM
Usha,

I was also referring to the male version.

You need to cut and paste the link I have given. For some reason when you give the link directly to the song in 'thiraipaadal' it doesn't appear as a full link!!!

Sureshs65
6th November 2010, 10:57 AM
Jai,

Thanks for the reco. Listening to the song. Very energetic and well sung by Karthik. The charanam ending reminds me of another Raja song. Unable to place it.

prashanth12
7th November 2010, 07:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvXAEivUal8

Maragatha Veenai from...Maragatha Veenai.

A song I could put on repeat and not tire of. Don't know the film though....

Sureshs65
7th November 2010, 10:52 AM
prasanth,

'Maragatha Veenai' is a terrific album. I like all the songs in this album. I think this album has 'ennai nee azhaikade" song as well.

Plum
7th November 2010, 12:51 PM
Suresh it is enai nee paadadhae.
Kanna vaa is another nice song

Sanjeevi
7th November 2010, 11:52 PM
Nenjil Aadum Poo Onru (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00422&lang=en)

Heard that this early movie (1978?) of IR was not released but I remember songs were famous. மனசில் அழுத்தமாய் பதிந்த பாடல்கள் ஏன் எதுக்கு எப்படினே புரியாம. Few days before venkiram posted Oru Moodan Kathai sonnan song and Now I checked other songs. முத்தெடுத்தேன் :).

கோடி இன்பம் மேனி எங்கும் பாய்ந்ததம்மா - I can not describe this song better than the first line. I am just addicted to this song and its elements rthym, ludes (esp the second interlude :notworthy:), vocals (SPB, SJ). I think I am listening this song after 20-25 years :shock: 8-)

Intha maathiri ethanai irukko anubavikkama

Sureshs65
8th November 2010, 11:24 AM
Sanjeevi,

'Kodi Indbam' is an excellent song. (To some extent the starting part and the ragam remind me of the Hindi song 'ja re ja o harjai' from the movie 'Kalicharan'. Music: Kalyanji Anandji.) Raja takes this song to unknown levels. Amazing.

raagas
8th November 2010, 12:53 PM
Sanjeevi,

'Kodi Indbam' is an excellent song. (To some extent the starting part and the ragam remind me of the Hindi song 'ja re ja o harjai' from the movie 'Kalicharan'. Music: Kalyanji Anandji.) Raja takes this song to unknown levels. Amazing.

It is a classic composition. One of my favourites. Long time since i Listened to this one. I discovered this song 4 years ago and i remember listening to it continuously in loop, for about 3-4 hours. What a song! Ah! if only Ilaiyaraaja does songs like these too sometimes now-a-days.

tvsankar
8th November 2010, 01:01 PM
Radio cylone il matumae kaeta padalgal......

haunting tunes...

my pick - vaanam engae

Sureshs65
8th November 2010, 02:20 PM
Listening to one more album I ignored when it came out. 'Nilave Mugam Kaatu'. Loving 'sutrada bhoomi'. These sort of emotions are only possible by Raja. Of that I am sure. Enjoying the other songs, 'chitu parakudu', 'poonkatru' and 'thndralai kandu' as well.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00426&lang=en

thumburu
8th November 2010, 05:39 PM
"Nenjil aadum poo" kind of albums used to be a regular, routine fare for Raja those days. Today if we look back, we can say for sure that TFM was at its zenith of creativity and innovation without being jarring or trying "too hard" to sound different .Usha, "Vaanam enge" IMO is the best of them. "kODI iNBAM" , is in "Malayamarutham" , a beautiful raaga for the dawn . Raja has creatively woven the dialogue between violin and flute and its a timeless album indeed. Even "marudha manja kizhangu" is naughty and cute. Please find a discussion on the song of the day , years ago.
http://tfmpage.com/forum/archives/1308.20880.03.21.22.html

thumburu
8th November 2010, 05:39 PM
"Nenjil aadum poo" kind of albums used to be a regular, routine fare for Raja those days. Today if we look back, we can say for sure that TFM was at its zenith of creativity and innovation without being jarring or trying "too hard" to sound different .Usha, "Vaanam enge" IMO is the best of them. "kODI iNBAM" , is in "Malayamarutham" , a beautiful raaga for the dawn . Raja has creatively woven the dialogue between violin and flute and its a timeless album indeed. Even "marudha manja kizhangu" is naughty and cute. Please find a discussion on the song of the day , years ago.
http://tfmpage.com/forum/archives/1308.20880.03.21.22.html

Sanjeevi
8th November 2010, 05:51 PM
wov thanks thumburu,

yesterday i did a fast listen the Vaanam enge song, still I found it is very good and need to listen more times

Sureshs65
8th November 2010, 06:29 PM
I love the way Jeyachandran comes in during the charanam of 'vaanam enge'. This is one of those for which I have to stop all work and listen. Hearing it in the background will never do. Superb orchestration, lovely tune and wonderfully sung. And to think this is not a well known song!!!!

baroque
9th November 2010, 02:43 AM
Perennial favorite ஏதேதோ எண்ணம் வளர்த்தேன்.......புன்னகை மன்னன் & classic makki di roti & sarson da saag .. this cool lunch hr..

PERFECT & SOOTHING. :swinghead:

Forever I can live on the warm food and musical masterpiece.

தூக்கம் விழிக்கிறேன் பூக்கள் வளர்க்கிறேன்
சில பூக்கள் தானே மலர்கின்றது
பல பூக்கள் ஏனோ உதிர்கின்றது
பதில் என்ன கூறு ..... பூவும் நானும் வேறு ..

கவிஞர் வைரமுத்து a true blooded poet, his depth in words & layers of meaning .Feel the flare of emotion. :thumbsup:

நீயே அணைக்க வா ..... தீயை அணைக்க வா ... (dual meaning )
நீ பார்க்கும்போது பனியாகிறேன்
உன் மார்பில் சாய்ந்து குளிர் காய்கிறேன்
எது வந்த போதும் இந்த அன்பு போதும் ....

Chithra is the BEST!

:musicsmile: dazzling prelude and bgm.....bass guitar, piano, strings for tabala ilayaraaja's pahadi pallavi....
ஏதேதோ எண்ணம் வளர்த்தேன்.......புன்னகை மன்னன்.

ஸ்ரீ.இளையராஜா......ஸ்ரீ.வைரமுத்து......சித்ரா . :swinghead:
வினதா.

app_engine
9th November 2010, 02:52 AM
ஸ்ரீ.இளையராஜா......ஸ்ரீ.வைரமுத்து......சித்ரா . :swinghead:
வினதா.

இவங்களெல்லாம் இவ்வளவு அருமையாய் செய்த பூமாலை திரையில் என்ன ஆனது தெரியுமா? :-(

baroque
9th November 2010, 02:58 AM
title song, app_eng.

சேது in ஜெயில்.....சாப்ளின் செல்லப்பா அழுதுண்டே திட்டுவாரே meeting சேது in jail...then title song
ஏதேதோ எண்ணம் வளர்த்தேன் ...

Vinatha

Sureshs65
9th November 2010, 04:47 PM
'Oru Chiri Kandal'. A lovely composition. This was the big hit from the album 'Ponmudipuzhayorathu'. I personally like the whole album. Very nice songs.

Querida
10th November 2010, 10:49 AM
Only today have I heard the whole album of "Senthamizh Paatu", all I knew until now was that it contained one of my fave songs "Chinna Chinna Thooral Enna"(the only minus I often find with CCT song is the irate interjections of the actress...so jarring especially when lost in the song :x ) ,

After listening to the album I cannot say that "Chinna Chinna Thooral"'s place has been nudged but I have more songs to enjoy: "Solli, Solli" (though there is some context behind the lyrics that is not known to me :huh: but is very meaningful and sweet in its pathos) the happier companion to "Solli Solli" is "Vanna Vanna" is also a well known song again I didn't know from what movie.

"Adi Komatha" nice folk feel, with a cheery bgm, the jumping flute is a delight!

"Kaalayil Kaettadhu Kovil Mani" I have heard before but did not where to find the song... a pleasant surprise indeed, nice to find another of Swarnalatha's songs...SPB's teasing voice wins your heart all the way...the cooing flute and the drip-drops of music all add to this lovely number.

"Kootukoru Paatirukku" was a very sweet finding :D I have not heard many of Mano's melodic songs (the only one that comes to mind is "Adho Mega Oorvalam" another wonderful gem!)

The plaintive "Indha Bhoomiyil" was yet another surprising Mano number, again having only heard his more jumpy numbers. Soothing even in its angst...very impressive.

http://www.dishant.com/album/senthamizh-paatu.html

raj_musing
10th November 2010, 11:10 AM
Querida,

The songs were composed by MSV and IR together. Not sure on which songs were by MSV and which were by raja. I had posted this question some time back and happy if somebody who knows this; can throw some light here..

Chinna Chinna thooral is a great song indeed!

Querida
10th November 2010, 11:23 AM
Querida,

The songs were composed by MSV and IR together. Not sure on which songs were by MSV and which were by raja. I had posted this question some time back and happy if somebody who knows this; can throw some light here..

Chinna Chinna thooral is a great song indeed!

I read this fact as well on many sites, they all attest that they jointly composed the songs but make no suggestions as to what particular song or give mixed answers (either kovil song or chinna, chinna song by MSV)...sorry your question remains unanswered.

raagas
10th November 2010, 12:04 PM
'Oru Chiri Kandal'. A lovely composition. This was the big hit from the album 'Ponmudipuzhayorathu'. I personally like the whole album. Very nice songs.

My favourite too! He somehow never disappoints, when it comes to this raaga.

suresh
10th November 2010, 12:47 PM
இரண்டு அதிகம் பிரபலமாகாத பாடல்கள்:

1 எந்த ஜென்மம் - ஏழுமலையான் மகிமை (1997) - ராஜா, சித்ரா பாடியது.

2 காத்திருந்தேன் தனியே - ராசாமகன் (1994) - சந்திரசேகர், லேகா குரலில்.

முன்னதில் ராஜாவின் குரல் சற்றே ஆச்சரியப்படுத்தும்; சித்ரா எப்போதும் போல் தேன் இனிமையாக. இரண்டாவது பாடல் இரு அதிகம் பரிச்சியமற்ற குரல்களால் சிறப்படைகிறது. இந்த சந்திரசேகரா நந்தலாலாவில் "கை வீசி" பாடலில் சேர்ந்து பாடியது?

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00161&lang=en

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00544&lang=en

suresh
10th November 2010, 01:13 PM
மன்னிக்கவும், "எந்த ஜென்மம்" பாடியது ஜானகியம்மா. வேறு பாடலின் நினைவில் எழுதி விட்டேன்.

Sureshs65
10th November 2010, 10:04 PM
Suresh,

I have heard the Telugu version of 'Yezhimalayan Mahimai'. Lovely songs. There is one more song in that movie which didn't get picturized, "ae jagaala sangamamo" I think is the song.

"kathirunden thaniye" is a superb song as well. Love it.

Listening again to 'Gayam 2'. "andala lokam" rocks.

app_engine
11th November 2010, 09:20 AM
One more on-screen-murder of a klassik, carried out under the watchful eyes of Sridhar :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbjAUPasd3I&feature=related

குறிஞ்சி மலரில் வழிந்த ரசத்தை உறிஞ்சத்துடிக்கும் உதடு இரண்டும்
(அழகே உன்னை ஆராதிக்கிறேன், எஸ்பிபி / வாணி ஜெயராம்)

I'm seeing this video for the first time (not disappointed, just irritated)...

Querida
11th November 2010, 11:23 AM
"Margatha Veenai" picks
-Ennai Nee Paadaathae
-Margatha Veenai
-Kannaa vaa kavitha solven vaa

Nenjil Aadum Poo Ondru picks
-Kodi Inbam for sure.... :musicsmile:
the violin weaves along with keyboard keys peeking in..
love how the electric guitar merges into the waves of the veenai...electronica replies to the flute...
wanted to hear all the rest that others have posted but stuck on this one...if only complaints were always this sweet :D

Sureshs65
12th November 2010, 05:27 PM
"ninna choosina udayam kaadidhi" from 'Chinnabbaye'. Not giving the youtube link since it will bring down the whole experience!!! Sujatha is in top form.

raagas
12th November 2010, 07:17 PM
"ninna choosina udayam kaadidhi" from 'Chinnabbaye'. Not giving the youtube link since it will bring down the whole experience!!! Sujatha is in top form.

Totally agree! beautiful tune. When i heard it the first time, i couldnt really associate with the ilaiyaraaja i had known (till then). I mean, given the new composers emerging during that period, I didnt feel it was ilaiyaraaja. His signature was missing, till the charanams (all through from prelude to pallavi to 1st interlude). Not that they were not good. They were brilliant. Yet they sounded as if the music was composed by a new composer (sounded fresh basically), like Sri (he was doing similar kind of songs in telugu just around that time). May be it is the sound of the song, the prelude (havent heard IR doing such kind of preludes) etc. i didnt see IR till the charanam came. The solo violin which joins in at charanams - thats where Ilaiyaraaja left his mark. Beautiful composition (perhaps the only beautiful song in that album)!

raj_musing
12th November 2010, 08:09 PM
Well sung by chitra and Iam now hearing this song after many years:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtAi2CNIBJY&feature=related

jaiganes
13th November 2010, 01:24 AM
http://www.paadal.com/album/raman_abdullah

From Raman Abdullah....
The last song is a stunner -
no one in this world can compose like this man..
<experts clarify> Suddha saveri </experts clarify> beauty Pudhidhaai ketkum puththam pudhu keerthanam - is the best number from this album. LAte 90s - Raja could have simply taken rest after this album - final word on composition and melody...
This came around the same time as Guru (mal) this song could have easily fitted into that album in place of Ponaaram song. Sweet and haunting. No words to praise the master - the synth points in charanam are so tastefully done, one doesnt miss the cello or violin in its place. Good job overall mixing wise too!!!

Sureshs65
13th November 2010, 05:50 AM
Jai,

'Pudhidai Ketkum' is based on Madhyamavathi. Wonderful album, 'Raman Abdullah'.

jaiganes
13th November 2010, 07:51 AM
Jai,

'Pudhidai Ketkum' is based on Madhyamavathi. Wonderful album, 'Raman Abdullah'.

thanks!!
sounded somewhat similar to "Sithagaththi pookaLe" at some places.

raj_musing
14th November 2010, 09:57 AM
Lovely songs from the movie "Pinnilavu"..The S.Jankai song was a decent hit,however "Manei madura karimbe" with its funny lyrics and style was a massive hit indeed during those days...The picturisation of this song was pathetic and worth listening to this song without watching the video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xD6c84bT3E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUR6tz6jXc0&feature=related

Sureshs65
14th November 2010, 10:46 AM
RM,

Nice songs. I love "priyane'. And as you say, 'maane madhura karimbe' has some funny lyrics. Nice mix of English and Malayalam.

Hearing to "yenidu yenidu" from the Kannada movie "Nannavanu". Terrific song and also highlights one important aspect of Raja's music. If you keenly listen to the song you will observe that the pallavi has a certain setting / beat, the charanams starts in a very unexpected beat and two lines later the rhythm again changes as does the tune. In short, in one song you find three very different musical ideas blended together perfectly. This is not unique to this song. In many Raja songs you can see multiple ideas coming together. Each idea on its own can be expanded into a song. So if we count, not just the songs that Raja gave, but the musical ideas inherent in his songs, you can say Raja has done twice more than what he is credited with!!!

raj_musing
14th November 2010, 01:46 PM
Suresh, True.."Nannavanu" and "Prem Kahani" too are indeed class albums and never to be missed as each songs are unique and the stroke of his genius is evident in many of them. "Shrungara Bangara" from Prem Kahani - a wonderful song indeed!

tvsankar
14th November 2010, 07:44 PM
raj musing,
Priyanae - first para - happya irukae..

2nd interlude la oru seriousness varudhae.. edho serious a nadaka proadhuku advance a solradha music.......

tvsankar
14th November 2010, 08:43 PM
Manidhanin marupakkam

SAndhosham indru sandhosham

Sweet and Innocent expressions of KSC

Very nice Guitar works.....

Beats - impressess me.......

Violin - as usual something Special.......

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00349&lang=en

raj_musing
14th November 2010, 09:34 PM
raj musing,
Priyanae - first para - happya irukae..

2nd interlude la oru seriousness varudhae.. edho serious a nadaka proadhuku advance a solradha music.......

Not sure on whether that was intentional,as I have never seen the movie...

tvsankar
14th November 2010, 09:45 PM
thank u raj musing.

Nannavanu - paatu kaeka link pl......

tvsankar
14th November 2010, 09:59 PM
Got the link..
i love - modhalane is my pick..

Haunting tune.......

jaiganes
16th November 2010, 03:53 AM
http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/movie/T0000909.html

En veettu jannal etti
demonstrates the following..
1. sliding bass - repeating and recurring - extremely catchy and curious
2. Bhavatharini , if she tries well can sound pretty good.
3. Long hindustani flutes mastery by Raaja -
4. The "Synth" backed up by drum kit can be interestingly done and still not sound crude.
5. Apt use of chorus - their harmony is heavenly!!
6. Keys used in the recurring pallavi have their aarohanam and avarohanam that perk up and slide down in a a beutiful pattern.
7. Mu.Mehta needs to write more and needs to write more for Raaja and he is an underrated lyricist in Thamizh film world.

Sureshs65
16th November 2010, 10:51 AM
Yup. The first thing that comes to my mind when I think of 'en veetu jannal' is the bass. Remember hearing to it late one night on Sun TV and being amazed by the bass work. Wonderful tune as well.

BTW, there is almost no Raja on Sun Music nowadays. Earlier the 11 pm to midnight slot used to Raja's. Nowadays for some reason they screen only MGR and Sivaji songs during that slot.

raagas
16th November 2010, 11:25 AM
Y
BTW, there is almost no Raja on Sun Music nowadays. Earlier the 11 pm to midnight slot used to Raja's. Nowadays for some reason they screen only MGR and Sivaji songs during that slot.

Good old days, when i used to be up late nights watching a tamil channel.. and my parents used to be totally surprised at that!

baroque
16th November 2010, 09:35 PM

what's the problem?

music listening sessions :musicsmile:
day or night...anytime Shri.Ilayaraaja's songs need no visuals.
In fact at night...end of the day, calm hours of night
if you prefer unwinding ... you don't want visuals particularly...ONLY his soothing , sublime mood sangeetham.
or
if you are just taking a break after whole day of demands or everybody settled down, you still have energy to go on....IR's Sangeetham can entertain you.
dance pop, hard RockNroll or some sappy happy, romantic, pathos etc.. I look forward to Shri.IR's sangeetham listening session after the sun sets :musicsmile: NO VISUALS, I NEED.
I celebrate the lyricists and the singers if they add extra pleasure...
என்னோட தேவையெல்லாம் neat ஆக GREAT MAN took care of it .. for this life and more :ty:
Indian film music composers, Great lyricists, Poets, soulful playback singers for all the excitement, sorrow, uplift, joy, enchantment,grief, thrills, laughs, awe ..more more..
You are close to my heart :ty:
vinatha.

raj_musing
17th November 2010, 09:36 AM
\\just a small digg\\

Iam enjoying the album which was composed by "Gangai Amaran" years ago. As the festive season has advanced there is no devotee who has failed to enjoy these soulful melodies soaked in devotion.

One of the greatest hits of GA which is still a bliss for millions of people who go for pilgrimage every year.Resembles IR songs in many ways..I have managed to find a few songs from that album here,but many other good songs are missing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_GmTLQFlxA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvE-903WZFk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I41ew3ZXOR0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3xKPGtMAvE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsYDNKCNoMk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7R1LyDu_bo

\\end digg

Sureshs65
17th November 2010, 12:17 PM
Vinatha,

Infact Raja songs are better off without the visuals most of the times :D The only reason I like them on TV or Radio is the unpredictability. You never know which the next song is going to be and sometimes you do get very good surprises.

baroque
17th November 2010, 09:51 PM
:)
வைகறையில் வைகை கரையில் வந்தால் வருவேன் உன் அருகில்....... yearning pathos சுபபந்துவராளி ..
கவிதையும், dramaticஇசையும், ஸ்ரீ.பாலா's singing .:musicsmile:
Vinatha.

tvsankar
17th November 2010, 11:12 PM
KSC - Mallu songs

Raapadi pakshikootam - Beautiful Guitar works

Siva malli poove

Excellent prelude.. Haunting no.......

http://www.devaragam.com/vbscript/MusicNew.aspx?ArtistID=15

tvsankar
17th November 2010, 11:16 PM
Chella thathae

http://www.devaragam.com/vbscript/MusicNew.aspx?ArtistID=15

Lady's songs - Raja is Great always.

raajarasigan
18th November 2010, 11:58 AM
Vinatha,

Infact Raja songs are better off without the visuals most of the times :D The only reason I like them on TV or Radio is the unpredictability. You never know which the next song is going to be and sometimes you do get very good surprises.Suresh, you are right :D it happens when I travel to my home town as well where they usually play IR songs...

But in Sun Music, you can see IR songs in the morning.. i.e. 6 AM - 8 AM

Querida
18th November 2010, 12:16 PM
[tscii:53b7dd9838]Vanna Vanna Pookal

Kannama Kadhal Ennum...smoothly rendered by the Maestro himself...what more could I ask for? :musicsmile: My appreciation (and yes quite biased at that) prevents me from listening to it in parts or in detailed view...rather I can only enjoy as a whole....

Ila Nenja Vaa – what I find very contrasting sounds: the beginning leads you think that it’s going to be a soft melody type...the speedily played modern beats seem like they are placed upon the song not played alongside the voiced part which seems more in sync with the flute which pipes along to the lyrics...kind of like a remix feel....
[/tscii:53b7dd9838]

tvsankar
18th November 2010, 12:24 PM
Que,
Thanks for the picks.

I love IR voice.

Querida
18th November 2010, 12:39 PM
Hello Usha :D

cute song sung by IR...I couldn't help but laugh when I first heard itl:
:shoot: Thuppaki Kayiladuthu :shoot: (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs=%27SNGIRR1702%27&lang=undefined//url)

tvsankar
18th November 2010, 12:49 PM
oh..
thuppaki kaiyileduthu - hahha... jollya padina oru song - Raja.. Rare one.

Flute's notes - Extrarodinary.

unexpected time la varum. Amazing.......

IR and FLute - Sweet always........

THanks for this song Que.........

jaiganes
18th November 2010, 10:22 PM
Vinatha,

Infact Raja songs are better off without the visuals most of the times :D The only reason I like them on TV or Radio is the unpredictability. You never know which the next song is going to be and sometimes you do get very good surprises.Suresh, you are right :D it happens when I travel to my home town as well where they usually play IR songs...

But in Sun Music, you can see IR songs in the morning.. i.e. 6 AM - 8 AM
kalaignar TV - isai aruvi afternoons are filled with Raaja classics and some of them so obscure in public arena.

Querida
19th November 2010, 07:36 AM
Listening to one more album I ignored when it came out. 'Nilave Mugam Kaatu'. Loving 'sutrada bhoomi'. These sort of emotions are only possible by Raja. Of that I am sure. Enjoying the other songs, 'chitu parakudu', 'poonkatru' and 'thndralai kandu' as well.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00426&lang=en

:ty: to Sureshs65 for posting about this album, I know I watched this movie but listening to the songs I'm surprised it's the same movie. Anyways have been enjoying this album very much. :musicsmile: I don't think I've heard many songs sung by HH for IR albums..Thendrale Kandu was sweet especially with surprising mantra part inserted in middle.

-Sutradha bhoomi has a unique bgm beautifully sung by Chitra
-For Chittu Parakudu, it's nice to hear Shankar play it subtle for this song
-of course cannot go without saying "Thanna Thaniyaka" is a treat :D As I have said before Maestro has made me a die-hard fan of sorrowful pieces.

Plum
19th November 2010, 07:50 AM
Querida - IR made one album with entirely hariharan. My least favourite ir album.

Querida
19th November 2010, 07:52 AM
Querida - IR made one album with entirely hariharan. My least favourite ir album.

I might regret asking but what album is that?

Sureshs65
19th November 2010, 09:24 AM
Plum,

Is that 'Kaasi' by any chance? I guess the general feeling people had was that Hariharan was not the right choice for those songs. I too feel that way.

Sureshs65
19th November 2010, 09:30 AM
Querida,

Yes. 'Nilave Mugam Kaatu' was a late discovery for me as well. Need to now listen to 'Manasellam'. Not heard that carefully. Albums like 'Kadhal Kavidhai', 'Karagatakaari', 'Nilave Mugam Kaatu', 'Ponmudipuzhayorathu' I had ignored when they came out. But paraphrase the famous saying, "You can't keep a good song down" :D

Upon a friends recommendation, listening to "manasukulla nayana sadham" from 'Mallu Vetti Minor'.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1887'&lang=en

raajarasigan
19th November 2010, 11:10 AM
Plum,

Is that 'Kaasi' by any chance? I guess the general feeling people had was that Hariharan was not the right choice for those songs. I too feel that way.Yes.. it is Kaasi. Hariharan's voice did NOT suit much to that folk album...

Plum
19th November 2010, 02:44 PM
Yup, kAsi. IR himself would have suited the songs better. However, the songs would have sounded even more starker and darker - although this would have suited the film's tone better, it would have pulled down the film'x box office chances. Whatever little support the film and its music enjoys, I find that it is due to the soothing, pleasantness of the songs(according to comments from likers).

I dont know if IR deliberately did this to prioritise box office prospects over the tone of the movie. It was high melodrama anyway - and just as masala movies, the aim of such movies is to appeal to the box office with their melodrama more than anything else. That being the case, IR might have deprioritised maintaining the dark, stark tone that the film's theme cried out for. Contrast with Sethu, where he got as stark and dark as can be with engE sellum pAdhai(banned in my house by my wife for the vibes it brings) - there, the intention was to stay true to Bala's art. That it succeeded in box office also was a pleasant surprise.

What I am trying to say is while Bala's Sethu clearly set out to drive the director's vision of cinema, Kaasi seemed to be Vinayan's attempt to manufacture and box-office-ise melodrama. IMO, IR seems to have understood this dichotomy well, and scored accordingly.

Sureshs65
19th November 2010, 05:16 PM
Plum,

Agree with you about the usage of Hariharan probably from the BO angle and also about the film being 'manufactured melodrama'. Somehow while I can understand the brain behind the songs, I can't really relate to them much. Not because of the dark tone or anything but more due to Hariharan's voice I think. (I do love 'rodaoram paatu onnu kekudha' which was even darker but Yesudas voice suited it well.) If I am not mistaken, Kasi has an equivalent Kannada version in which Udit Narayan has sung (probably the first time for Raja). The movie name was 'Ramu'.

Querida
19th November 2010, 07:19 PM
Kaasi is it? I remember only thinking that the voice did not suit Vikram's piteous character or for "Maanu Tholu" (HH is not very convincing for folkish tone)and looking forward to a heart-rendering piece sung by IR himself....it could have been "Puniyam Thedi".

Though "Aathorathile Allamaram" is my favourite from the album.

Bala (Karthik)
19th November 2010, 08:31 PM
Though there might be some disappointment about the choice of singer, the album itself worked for me.

Bala (Karthik)
19th November 2010, 08:31 PM
"Vel Muruganukku Motta Onnu Podapporen Doi" - Puyal Paadum Paattu
:raajaangam: :notworthy:

jaiganes
19th November 2010, 09:58 PM
past two days have been spent with MogaMuL...
1. நெஞ்சே குருநாதரின் - எம்.ஜீ.ஸ்ரீகுமாரின் இனிய குரலில் வரும் இந்த பாடல் என் அபிப்ராயத்தில் இந்த படத்தின் சிறந்த பாடல். கற்ற வித்தையை கடைப்பொருளாக விற்க நேர்ந்த துயரத்தைப்பாடலாக வடித்து அதற்கு அருமையான இசை பொழிந்துள்ளார் இசைஞானி. சீடன் குருவையும்,கற்ற இசையறிவின் மேன்மையையும் "புழுதியில் எறிந்த வீணை" என்னும் நிலையை கடிந்து, அதே சமயம் தன் கையலாகாத நிலையையும் உணர்ந்து பாடும் இந்தப்பாடல் திரை இசை என்றில்லாமல் தமிழிசை என்னும் வகைக்கே பெருமை சேர்க்கும் அற்புதமான பாடல். இதில் என்னைக்குறிப்பாகக்கவர்ந்தது, தபேலாவும் மிருதங்கமும் இணைந்து அமைத்துள்ள தாளலயம். எங்கு தபேலா முடிகிறது, எங்கு மிருதங்கம் எழுகிறது என்பதைத்தெளிவாக உணர முடியாத ஒரு இனிய தாள அமைப்பு. எம்.ஜீ.ஸ்ரீகுமாரின் குரல் பாடலின் பாவத்துக்கேற்ப கரைகிறது, உருகுகிறது, உணர்வால் பொங்கிப்பெருகுகிறது.

2. சொல்லாயோ வாய் திறந்து - ஜானகி குரலிலும், ஸ்ரீகுமாரின் குரலிலும், வெளிப்படையாக விரகத்தையும் அது சார்ந்த இறைவனையே கணவனாக வரிக்கும் ஆண்டாளின் பக்தி பாவத்தைக்குறிக்கும் இருபொருள் படும் விதமாக அமைந்த அற்புதமான பாடல். இளையராஜா எனும் கலைஞன் தன் பின்நவீனத்துவத்தை வெளிப்படுத்தியிருக்கும் பல்வேறு படைப்புகளில் இந்தப்பாடல் தலையாய ஒன்று என்று நான் கருதுகிறேன். "அலைபாயுதே கண்ணா", "இன்பக்கனா ஒன்று கண்டேன்" போன்ற பாடல்களின் கருத்துச்சாயலில், தன் சிந்தனை கொண்ட ஒரு புதிய பாட்லை தனக்கேயுரிய புதிய பாணியில் தன் கற்பனைகளைக்கொட்டி வார்த்துள்ளார் இசைஞானி.
தமிழிசை பாடகர்கள் இந்தப்பாடலை தனி கீர்த்தனையாக மேடையில் பாடுதல் அவர்கள் திறமைக்கு சிறப்பு சேர்க்கும்.

தேன்குடத்தில் மூழ்கிச்சாகும் வண்டென எனை சுகித்துக்கொல்லும் ஒரு இசைத்தொகுப்பு "மோகமுள்"!!! இதைத்தந்த இசைஞானிக்குக்காலத்திற்கும் நன்றி!!

Plum
20th November 2010, 05:42 AM
That was namma preethiya ramu. I found udit's'songs more likeable than hariharan - :ashamed: - although they still were to the left of 0 in the axis

venkkiram
20th November 2010, 09:54 AM
சில இடங்களில் மாற்றுக்கருத்துக்களை பதிவு செய்தே ஆகவேண்டும் என்பது கட்டாயமாக்கப்படுகிறது.

காசி பாடல்களில் ஹரியின் குரல் மெய்யாலுமே கிராமிய மணத்தை தந்தது என்பதை காசி வெளியான காலக் கட்டத்தில் குறைந்தது மூன்று வருடங்களுக்கு புறநகர் பகுதிகளில் மரவட்டையாக ஓடிக்கொண்டிருந்த ஆம்னி பஸ்களில் இந்தப் பாடல்கள் ஓயாமல் தொடர்ந்து ஒலித்துக்கொண்டிருப்பதை குறிப்பாக காவிரி டெல்டா பகுதிகளில் கண்கூடாக பார்த்திருக்கிறேன். உன் உதட்டோர சிவப்பு (1996), ரோசாப்பூ சின்ன ரோசாப்பூ (1997) - இந்த இரு பாடல்களில் மூலம் அவரது குரல் நுழையாத பட்டி தொட்டிகளேயில்லை என்றிருக்கையில் ஹரி கிராமியப்பாடலுக்கு ஏற்றவர் அல்ல என ஒரு பகுதியினர் ஓரங்கட்டுவது, முழுப் பூசணிக்காயையும் சோற்றில் மறைக்கும் வேலை.

அங்கங்கே ஓரிரு பாடலில் வலம் வந்த ஹரிஹரனுக்கு முழுப் படத்தையும் அர்ப்பணித்து பாடல் வழங்கிய ராஜாவுக்கு கோடி நன்றிகள். முழுவதும் ஒரே ஒரு பாடகர் என்பதெல்லாம் ஒரு கொடுப்பினை. அந்த விதத்தில் அருமையான ஒரு ஆல்பத்தை வழங்கிய ராஜாவிற்கு ஹரி நிச்சயம் கடமைபட்டவர்.

venkkiram
20th November 2010, 10:00 AM
What I am trying to say is while Bala's Sethu clearly set out to drive the director's vision of cinema, Kaasi seemed to be Vinayan's attempt to manufacture and box-office-ise melodrama. IMO, IR seems to have understood this dichotomy well, and scored accordingly.சேதுவில் இடைவேளைக்குப் பிறகு வரும் எங்கே செல்லும் இந்தப் பாதை, வார்த்தை தவறி விட்டாய் பாடல்களின் மூலம் பாலா முயற்சித்ததும் ஒரு விதத்தில் melodrama தான். என்னைப் பொறுத்தவரை பாடல்களே இல்லாமல் பார்ப்போரின் உணர்ச்சிகளை கையாள்வதுதான் நீங்கள் சொல்கிற "the director's vision of cinema". மூன்றாம் பிறை, காதல் படத்தில் வரும் கடைசி முப்பது நிமிடங்கள் போல.

vel
22nd November 2010, 11:49 AM
2 gems i heard this morning ..

one old one - Araro pAda vanthEne AvAram poovin senthEne (raja version) -- from the film poruthathu pothum.
a new one - Onnukonnu thunai irukkum - from the film nandalala

These 2 songs will pacify and cool you no matter what poor situation your life is in. :)

...Shining proof that IR's class and command is permanent irrespective of his age.

thumburu
22nd November 2010, 12:08 PM
The last Raja song I heard is a candidate for the 'Loony funky Raja' thread. This wild.
wacky song got eclipsed by mellifluous melodies like"thendral vandhu ennai thodum",
"kaNNane nee vara ", "kavidhai paadu kuyile kyile" from the same film.OK Iam referring to
"yemmaa andhi mayakkamaa". Malaysia Vasudevan's "over the top" singing and the cringe worthy lyrics didnt help it either. I say this one begs for the calibre of SPB . Groovy
guitar and beats all over . The prelude distortion guitar gives a rock like feeling only
to sink when Malaysia Vasu begins to take on. Listening to the guitar "sithu velai" in the 2nd bgm is definition of the much maligned word "offbeat"

naarayanan
22nd November 2010, 08:41 PM
nenjukkul poo manjangal
nee itta neram
kannil sonnaale kaadhal kattalai
en devi...........devi .......papapapa...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPiWYsiycIY

what a classy song!!

Sureshs65
22nd November 2010, 09:58 PM
thumburu,

Love that song.

Narayanan,

Thanks for introducing this song. Haven't heard it earlier. Lovely song.

Querida
23rd November 2010, 03:35 AM
:ty: @ Vel for "Nandalala", it's often too easy to escape into the past genius of IR and take for granted that he is still composing...TZP (childish/innocent/playful) feeling with more of a tragic touch...not just being misunderstood but lost/distanced/wistful...

-Mella Oorandhu Oorandhu...what odd sounding words...like caterpillar crawlings...playful yet subtely tragic all the same

-Onnukkonnu... heart-breaking each time KJ sings "Anbu onnu than aanathaeyaa" affection, orphaned...:sigh2:

-Ooru Vaadham Kootamae :swinghead:- IR with group song...very cute...IMO director has lovely opportunities to make this song full of visually heartwarming scenes...mid bgm string instrumental (?) with windpipes :cool2:

-Thaalattu - classical IR sorrow....a yearnful voice, wrenching lyrics, cannot help but tug at your heartstrings....

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00744&lang=en

Querida
23rd November 2010, 03:42 AM
Autoraja pick: "Malare"...deep-voiced SPB with that little ironic laugh...

Even with "Thumbi Vaa" version with IR and Janaki...my vote still goes to "Malare"....as much as I would love to say great version...I still am held in the original's hold...this version just doesn't work for me :(

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs=%27SNGIRR0344%27&lang=undefined

Sureshs65
23rd November 2010, 08:02 AM
Querida,

I am not sure if 'Malare' is by Raja. From what I remember only the 'sangathil' song was composed by Raja. 'Malare' definitely doesn't have the Raja signature. Infact in some places in the charanam, you can hear the Rajan Nagendra signature. ("nee enge naan enge" is how one Rajan Nagendra song which was later copied in Hindi film "Deewana" ends.)

app_engine
23rd November 2010, 09:41 AM
Listened to the songs of 'mOgha muL' (most of them for the first time).

Terribly underwhelmed by MGS :-(

OTOH, KJY has two great numbers! For classical numbers in movies, none can come anywhere closer to him!

I've got another first-time-listen in "nee pournami" of oruvar vAzhum Alayam.

What a song!

There's another great number 'pallaviyE saraNam' (semi-classical again, by SPB-SJ)!

Interestingly, I went to thiraippadal for this album at my wife's request for 'malaiyOram mayilE' and got such a wonderful treat by KJY/SPB/SJ!

vel
23rd November 2010, 10:22 AM
:ty: @ Vel for "Nandalala", it's often too easy to escape into the past genius of IR and take for granted that he is still composing...TZP (childish/innocent/playful) feeling with more of a tragic touch...not just being misunderstood but lost/distanced/wistful...

-Mella Oorandhu Oorandhu...what odd sounding words...like caterpillar crawlings...playful yet subtely tragic all the same

-Onnukkonnu... heart-breaking each time KJ sings "Anbu onnu than aanathaeyaa" affection, orphaned...:sigh2:

-Ooru Vaadham Kootamae :swinghead:- IR with group song...very cute...IMO director has lovely opportunities to make this song full of visually heartwarming scenes...mid bgm string instrumental (?) with windpipes :cool2:

-Thaalattu - classical IR sorrow....a yearnful voice, wrenching lyrics, cannot help but tug at your heartstrings....

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00744&lang=en

nice review querida

Sureshs65
23rd November 2010, 10:44 AM
app_eng,

Luckily I have the CD of 'oruvar vazhum aalayam'. All the songs you mentioned as classics. Amazing numbers. 'nee pournami' especially.

Sanjeevi
23rd November 2010, 12:33 PM
The song 'Aruvi kooda' is another awesome song by KJJ. I don't know the movie. Any link pls

app_engine
23rd November 2010, 06:52 PM
நான் கொடுத்தத திருப்பிக்கொடுத்தா
முத்தமாக்கொடு, அத மொத்தமாக்கொடு!
(Don't know who started this concept but it runs till enthiran - vasee & sanA does the same thing ; must be from very old days - ABC nee vAsi of OKD also has this loan business 'கொடுத்ததை திருப்பிக்கொடு, அது என்ன இலவசமா?')

Sweet song with pleasant guitar sounds and mesmerising Chitra voice! The saraNam portion is inippu without thikattal !!

(movie - mAveeran)

Also listened to ஒதுங்கு ஒதுங்கு by MV & kuzhu from the same movie.

What energy!

Sanjeevi
24th November 2010, 12:28 AM
The song 'Aruvi kooda' is another awesome song by KJJ. I don't know the movie. Any link pls

oops... song not done by IR and is the one of rare songs (KJJ and SPB inainthu paadiavaigal)

http://mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=672

naarayanan
24th November 2010, 09:12 AM
Narayanan,

Thanks for introducing this song. Haven't heard it earlier. Lovely song.

welcome suresh. it is from the movie saatai illadha bambaram.

Querida
26th November 2010, 05:36 AM
Querida,

I am not sure if 'Malare' is by Raja. From what I remember only the 'sangathil' song was composed by Raja. 'Malare' definitely doesn't have the Raja signature. Infact in some places in the charanam, you can hear the Rajan Nagendra signature. ("nee enge naan enge" is how one Rajan Nagendra song which was later copied in Hindi film "Deewana" ends.)

Thank you Suresh for this bit of info, always glad to expand my knowledge :D

Regarding song from Deewana, were you perhaps referring to "Tere Dard Se Dil" (http://www.dishant.com/jukebox.php?songid=507//url)?

prashanth12
26th November 2010, 06:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPiWYsiycIY

what a classy song!!

I too did not know this, but I love the melody and the rhythms....thanks for sharing.

tvsankar
27th November 2010, 12:11 AM
Kamal songs - Picturisation - nanraga than irundhaganam.

BR padamaga irundhalum...

OKD - Nice album

ABC nee vasi - wat a flow.... Beautiful Humming.. Sweet Prelude...

Nice rendition of KJY and VJ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSOpAa-lKkI

pon maanae

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us_2sZ_aiPs

AravindMano
27th November 2010, 11:33 AM
NinaivellAm nithyA BGM score for a while. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ3rkkoW-2M&feature=related) Reminds me of Kadhalukku Mariyadhai. Lovely pieces.

tvsankar
27th November 2010, 12:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNrqS3PfkIY&feature=related

IR's Madhyamavathi..... SJ... its enough..................

Shank
27th November 2010, 10:04 PM
Endrendum Aanandhame form Kadal Meengal

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00243

The fusion in this song blows my mind. Also, the violin pieces are of the highest order. I love the violin following for the stanza lines. Incredible song...

Sureshs65
29th November 2010, 11:54 PM
Shank,

'Endrenrum Anandame' Amazing energy.

Was listening to 'va va pakkam vaa'. What drumming. The drummer (I guess it must be Puru) is enjoying himself here. Outstanding stuff.

jaiganes
30th November 2010, 10:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PfC1lbJPwQ

Unforgettable song...
The guitar riffs and the synth(keyboard) bass humming sets up the table for a virtual feast of all instruments imaginable, the song moves in all tempos . It is a veritable feast on a table with friends and family. Yesappu and Raasappu conjure up such magic that is beyond words. Awesome song and has Balu Mahendra done justice to this song or what? How I wish to be born as a single neuron in the cerebrum of the master ILaiyaraaja.

V_S
1st December 2010, 08:45 AM

Unforgettable song...
The guitar riffs and the synth(keyboard) bass humming sets up the table for a virtual feast of all instruments imaginable, the song moves in all tempos . It is a veritable feast on a table with friends and family. Yesappu and Raasappu conjure up such magic that is beyond words. Awesome song and has Balu Mahendra done justice to this song or what? How I wish to be born as a single neuron in the cerebrum of the master ILaiyaraaja.
Wow! Well said Jai!! Can I be another? What a composer!!

V_S
1st December 2010, 09:46 AM
Many would have written about this song so many times, but just wanted to share my experience with this song.
I was listening to one of my favorite IR playlist named "Songs that made you laugh" (may be a title for another thread?). First song in the list is "Aattukutti Muttai Ittu".

This song always takes me back to my childhood days, whenever I used to visit my grandmother's house for every annual leave. Whenever this song was played on radio, we used to gather round and laugh. I never knew at that time who was the music director, but this song was a rage at that time right from we kids to our grand fathers.

I think this was among the first songs which broke all conventional tune, lyrics, singing, orchestration. Even we could hear buffalo and donkey in the song.

The song starts mesmerisingly with lazy guitar and MV's lazy humming.
ஆட்டு குட்டி முட்ட இட்டு
கோழி குட்டி வந்ததுன்னு
யான குஞ்சு சொல்ல கேட்டு
பூனை குஞ்சு சொன்னதுண்டு

The lyrics in charanam adds more fun compared to pallavi's lyrics.
கூத்து மேல ராசாவுக்கு ஏஅஹ்ஹ்
கூத்து மேல ராசாவுக்கு 102 பொன்டாட்டியாம்
102 பொன்டாட்டியும் வாது முட்ட பொட்டதுவாம்
பட்டத்து ராணி அதுல 18 பேரு
18 பேர்க்கும் வயசு 26
மொத்தம் 26

கிட்டப்பாவின் பாட்ட கேட்டேன்
சின்னப்பாவ நேரில பார்த்தேன்
கொட்ட கொட்ட வருகுதம்மா
சந்கீதம்மா பெருகுதம்மா

Hilarious lyrics!!
The second interlude has some nice flute and violin accentuated by buffalo's grunt. The percussion changes in the second charanam for the first two lines and changes again after that. What an improvisation.
Excellent singing by MV . When SJ joins the song, gets more interesting.

Again the hilarious ending with donkey's braying and with a end sigh of relief (absolutely amazing!). Not to forget the picturization of the song.

This song will never fade away from me!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwk-NXEq6vc

raajarasigan
1st December 2010, 10:01 AM

Unforgettable song...
Wow! Well said Jai!! Can I be another? What a composer!!Youtube blocked :x Is this En Iniya / Poongatru (MP) / Raja Raja Chozhan? :)

Sureshs65
1st December 2010, 01:44 PM
rajarasigan,

It is 'Poonkatru'.

raajarasigan
2nd December 2010, 12:10 PM
rajarasigan,

It is 'Poonkatru'.Suresh :) this is indeed the song of Orchestration from the man of Orchestration

Sureshs65
2nd December 2010, 07:47 PM
rajarasigan,

I understand your enthusiasm for the song and share it. The only problem we have is that of plenty. It is very difficult to label any one of the songs as 'THE BEST' in any category. No wonder we Raja fans are a spoilt lot :)

raajarasigan
2nd December 2010, 09:03 PM
rajarasigan,

I understand your enthusiasm for the song and share it. The only problem we have is that of plenty. It is very difficult to label any one of the songs as 'THE BEST' in any category. No wonder we Raja fans are a spoilt lot :)completely agree!! no second thought about it :D

today morning, I was listening to En Vaazhvile varum from TEO. He retained the second interlude (BM must have picturized the same way as tamil with the train lock). When we listen for the first time, we can't say that is a raja song. Of course, it was almost like a dubbed version..

app_engine
2nd December 2010, 09:12 PM
When we listen for the first time, we can't say that is a raja song. Of course, it was almost like a dubbed version..

Yes, the Hindi version of 'poongAtRu' was so pathetic :-( I don't know what logic prompted BM/IR to change the original :?

Retaining the original 100% along with KJY would have given a phenomenal new experience to northies in 82/83 IMSO.
(Also, IMO, what BM-IR missed then was NOT missed by MR-AR after a decade).

tvsankar
2nd December 2010, 10:53 PM
Engae nee sendralum - Kannukulae

REal GEM.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00748&lang=en

app_engine
3rd December 2010, 10:03 PM
Can one have 'thalai vAzhai ilai virundhu' on a cold parking lot in north america? On a windy winter morning?

Yes, if you're inside a car with engine switched off and listening to 'உன்னைத்தானே தஞ்சம் என்று நம்பி வந்தேன் நானே' (நல்லவனுக்கு நல்லவன்)!

It's like a text book for anyone who wants to compose a film song!

app_engine
3rd December 2010, 10:13 PM
The interesting part about 'unnaiththAnE' is it's a duet-less duet. The starting pallavi and 1st saraNam are 100% female and the pallavi after 1st saraNam to end is 100% male :-)

While Raja keeps mesmerizing with the piano / violin combo interludes and sweet veeNai sounds here and there, it's the effortless sixers of KJY that make this song so endearing.

Each time I listen to that very casual delivery of "அடடா முந்தானை சிறையானது", I get an involuntary laughter :-)

Gem of a song with what a flow!

jaiganes
3rd December 2010, 11:13 PM
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00526&lang=en

Songs Oh Janani and Vaadumo Oviyam - are simply too good. Quintessential Raaja melodies for this much maligned jeyachitra movie.
The speciality of Vaadumo Oviyam is the intricate bass score and breezy singing by Janaki.

There is one template sober melody in "Deivangal kan paarthadhu" sung by Mano - simple oft heard melody tune by Raaja - yet is soothing and relaxing save for the second interlude which is uneasy due to context..

jaiganes
3rd December 2010, 11:20 PM
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00527&lang=en

typically i wait for listening to full album before i write about a song.. but this one got me even before song #2.
Particularly note how mild is the play of instruments in the second interlude - but the melody in the interlude is absolutely mind blowing...
Idhai naan "Ulagathukkum appaarpatta tharam" endru solven..
Yesappu has once again come to the party..

tvsankar
3rd December 2010, 11:37 PM
app,
Thanks for unani thanae..

Muthadudhae - is one more GEM to me.........

tvsankar
3rd December 2010, 11:40 PM
Jai,

Thanks................
Deivangal is my pick............

raajarasigan
4th December 2010, 12:48 PM
Malare Malare - Un Kannil neer vazhindhal

http://www.dhool.com/sotd2/416.html
one of my personal favourites :D What a bass line!! we could only hear this in the ear phone

The song evokes a romantic mood so easily, and with so little effort. Listen to SJ's enchanting whispering voice take over the song, especially in the charanams. The laid back mood that the singer has is in contrast with the metronomic beat that the song follows. Even as we wonder whether the song is going to take a pause after the interludes, SJ starts off the charanams at the beat. I wonder if a younger IR would have let the song take a more freewheeling route and would have added more jazz touches to this song.

Sureshs65
4th December 2010, 01:16 PM
Jai,

Looks like you are going through Raja hits on Thiraipaadal in an alphabetical order :) Will now need to listen to these songs over the weekend.

raajarasigan
6th December 2010, 02:34 PM
Nandalala songs in loop :musicsmile:

when the album was released, I was listening more to the mella oorundhu, Onnukonnu & kai veesi...

along with this, now I am impressed more with Eilea Eilea.. this is definetly one of its kind.. andha udukkai sound oru inam puriyatha unarvai aerpaduthuthu... kind of a dark feel. This is where IR shows his uniqueness where he speaks very close to our feelings through his music.. the song would have been even more interesting with a powerful lyrics..

oru vandu koottame is just OK but the first interlude (between 1:24 to 1:44) :shock: terrific.. time and again, he is giving such amazing interludes.. :D this is my current ringtone as well..

Sanjeevi
6th December 2010, 03:16 PM
raajarasigan, why u are giving credit to Raaja for a song which has not done by Raaja

raajarasigan
6th December 2010, 03:20 PM
raajarasigan, why u are giving credit to Raaja for a song which has not done by Raaja :shock: :oops: am NOT aware of this... who has composed this? was it by Narikuravar? anyway, thanks sanjeevi

Sanjeevi
6th December 2010, 03:28 PM
raajarasigan, why u are giving credit to Raaja for a song which has not done by Raaja :shock: :oops: am NOT aware of this... who has composed this? was it by Narikuravar? anyway, thanks sanjeevi

http://www.kollynews.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/200901170150.jpg

I think the song sung by above lady but about the composer :) I (anyone?) am not sure probably vazhi vazhi vanth narikuravar song like our paattimar folk song.

more below
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/41679.html

raajarasigan
6th December 2010, 03:55 PM

http://www.kollynews.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/200901170150.jpg

I think the song sung by above lady but about the composer :) I (anyone?) am not sure probably vazhi vazhi vanth narikuravar song like our paattimar folk song.

more below
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/41679.htmlinteresting :D sarakku ulla ponappuram than andhamma paadirukkamla.. :lol:

tvsankar
7th December 2010, 03:24 PM
My Dear Friends,
indha trhead la pesunga pa.....

tvsankar
7th December 2010, 03:34 PM
Mayakama oru thayakkama

VJ - all her songs from IR - all are Extraordinary nos......

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00394&lang=en

Lovely Prelude.......

Guitars from IR's INdustry...........

sweet Key borad............

Soft and Gentle Beats....... like a friend............

idhanudan - VJ's Rendition... i love it..........

1st Interlude
Inimaiyana isai Ragalai..... Lovely sounds.........

Flute - haaaaaaaaaa. Great Notes.. Reply to VJ.......

mayakama - VJ vai - kooti kondu pogum Beats...

2nd Interlude

Great works. Love it with a Great Respect..........

Beats is the Hero of this song................

raj_musing
7th December 2010, 03:54 PM
Just happened to listen to a better version of the PR song today with more bhavam and finer expressions :)

Watch out for the portion 0.44 to 0.47

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEKThnf-d3g&feature=related

tvsankar
7th December 2010, 04:42 PM
raj musing,
' hmmmmm. thanks for the link........

tvsankar
7th December 2010, 06:43 PM
No other Way...........

indha 2 version kum - kiruku pidichu iruku..........

Bharani

Thaena odum oda karaiyil - KSC nu sollum thiraipadal. ana idhu
Sujatha...........

Sujatha and IR............

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00076&lang=en

Sureshs65
7th December 2010, 10:04 PM
'vaa vaa pakkam vaa' from Thangamagan http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3528'&lang=en

What can you say about this song except gush over it. Right from the prelude you know this song is designed for the instrumentalists. The drummer, the guitarist, the sax person, everyone is enjoying himself. Ofcourse Vani sings with her customary conservativeness. The 'disco disco' chant of SPB is funny. Especially love the drumming in this song. What an energy throughout the song. No way can these programmed drumming get close to the real stuff!!!

tvsankar
7th December 2010, 10:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJlPXiLndCw&playnext=1&list=PL3738E95961C02030&index=41

Nice no ....... Beautiful Flow........

app_engine
7th December 2010, 11:02 PM
Finally got out of the 'unnaiththAnE' loop, thanks to my son pushing his high school musical disney CD into the car player :-) இல்லைன்னா இன்னும் சில நாட்கள் ஓடி இருக்கும் :-)

Musically literate folks - please confirm whether unnaiththAnE has any other similarity with "kaNdEn engum poomakaL nAttiyam" than the 3 beat cycle thingy!

Well, that made me switch to another disc this morning with the two Telugu numbers from 'anumanaspadam' :

ninu vedhikki vedhikki choosi (sweet & enjoyable song. Only complaint could be too short second interlude)

pratidinam nee dharshanam (mayanginEn sollaththayanginEn, with extra mridhangam kuRumbu! Sweet melody with weaker orchestration compared to the original if we overlook the mridhangam part)

Sureshs65
7th December 2010, 11:17 PM
app_eng,

I am impressed. Now you are into Telugu songs!!! 'Anumanaspadam' did have some nice numbers. Vamshi writes very conversation like lyrics of 'pratidinam'. Raja had a special liking for Vamshi and generally came up with some nice numbers for him.

Plum
8th December 2010, 02:19 PM
The lyrics of prathidhinam are cute. Conversation-like, but quite funny and cute. And Shreya Ghoshal tips the balance to replace the original from my heart from top place for this tune.

Shreya G: "viNtuNtE vinthagA undhi kothagA undhi Evi(n)ti gamanam"..."gatha jenmalOki jAji pUvula suvAsamElE.." :clap:

Unni K also is pleasant, without being saccharine, which is usually my complaint with him(think ennavaLE)
The orchestration is whizzy with the synth drums not affecting as much as they usually do and the mridangam add-on, as app observed, taking the song to a new level.

tvsankar
8th December 2010, 02:28 PM
The lyrics of prathidhinam are cute. Conversation-like, but quite funny and cute. And Shreya Ghoshal tips the balance to replace the original from my heart from top place for this tune.

Shreya G: "viNtuNtE vinthagA undhi kothagA undhi Evi(n)ti gamanam"..."gatha jenmalOki jAji pUvula suvAsamElE.." :clap:

Unni K also is pleasant, without being saccharine, which is usually my complaint with him(think ennavaLE)
The orchestration is whizzy with the synth drums not affecting as much as they usually do and the mridangam add-on, as app observed, taking the song to a new level.

Plum,
Ipadi describe panra - indha paatuku - English Trasnlation solla
kudadha......

Sureshs65
8th December 2010, 07:28 PM
Today afternoon Sun Music put up what seems to be a 'Disco Special' type of program. All the songs were disco based. Which means the hero / heroine were decked by in glittering dress and if possible with some serial lights attached. They all ofcourse made the mandatory movements like pointing one hand to the sky, which was probably a John Travolta patent from 'Saturday Night Fever'

Heard three outstanding Raja songs in this program. 'poo pota dhavani', 'poomalai oru paavai' and 'vanam keezhe vandhal enna'. Raja has many achievements to his credit and if you ask me, his work on the disco segment will stand at the top of the heap. The reason I say is because the world over the disco genre per se was quite frivolous and musically wasn't very involved. Our own person up North, Bappi Da, made it even worse. So to take up a genre like this, which was more for time pass and 'fun' songs and give musical immortality requires, sigh, the same word again, a genius. Each of these songs is so involved with outstanding instrumentation that they bring in a lot of weight and make them serious work of art. Or shall I say these are serious fun songs. The fun element is never missed in any of these songs. (There are many more than the three I listed). Yet the musicality in these songs is on par with what Raja does with a large WCM orchestra. So many ideas executed to perfection.

I would like to point these songs when kids come up and tell me that their latest favourite music director has now 'dived' into a new genre (by copying samples!!) Before anyone talks about bending genres, they should first listen to these songs of Raja. This is a text book example of how to bend a genre and then add your own signature to it and creat a totally new genre. This is something that Raja does with almost any genre that he touches. Therein lies the greatness of this man.

raajarasigan
8th December 2010, 07:41 PM
Suresh,

Well written on the Disco genre!! :D interestingly, all three were from SPB. I think he must have used SPB for this kind of disco songs almost all the time.

Vaanam Keezhe is my most favourite among those 3 songs

jaiganes
8th December 2010, 09:03 PM
Today afternoon Sun Music put up what seems to be a 'Disco Special' type of program. All the songs were disco based. Which means the hero / heroine were decked by in glittering dress and if possible with some serial lights attached. They all ofcourse made the mandatory movements like pointing one hand to the sky, which was probably a John Travolta patent from 'Saturday Night Fever'

Heard three outstanding Raja songs in this program. 'poo pota dhavani', 'poomalai oru paavai' and 'vanam keezhe vandhal enna'. Raja has many achievements to his credit and if you ask me, his work on the disco segment will stand at the top of the heap. The reason I say is because the world over the disco genre per se was quite frivolous and musically wasn't very involved. Our own person up North, Bappi Da, made it even worse. So to take up a genre like this, which was more for time pass and 'fun' songs and give musical immortality requires, sigh, the same word again, a genius. Each of these songs is so involved with outstanding instrumentation that they bring in a lot of weight and make them serious work of art. Or shall I say these are serious fun songs. The fun element is never missed in any of these songs. (There are many more than the three I listed). Yet the musicality in these songs is on par with what Raja does with a large WCM orchestra. So many ideas executed to perfection.

I would like to point these songs when kids come up and tell me that their latest favourite music director has now 'dived' into a new genre (by copying samples!!) Before anyone talks about bending genres, they should first listen to these songs of Raja. This is a text book example of how to bend a genre and then add your own signature to it and creat a totally new genre. This is something that Raja does with almost any genre that he touches. Therein lies the greatness of this man.
Fantastic point..
to the list of raja's disco gems, Kannada song nanna neenu gellalaare should be in the top draw - though it weaves in and out of carnatic in between.

tvsankar
8th December 2010, 11:55 PM
IR padina songs........

Idhu dhan idhukuthan

Porupaga oru chorus.

romba romba porupa - dhum chak dhum chakk dhum chak

Idhu dhan IR.........

Controlled Beats, Guitar and the wind instrument........

Controls the Sounds........ Why not....

His Sound. He controls......

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00521&lang=en

tvsankar
9th December 2010, 12:02 AM
indha IR dhan ipadiyum paadi irukar .....

Karuga mani............Lovely no...........

2009 - Folk song... fills with Harmony only...........

Chorus - HIs Speciality.... Nice ............

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00745&lang=en

tvsankar
9th December 2010, 12:07 AM
Oru aalam poovu athi poova

indha paatula land agiten............ tats all.....

IR and KSC Special.................

venkkiram
9th December 2010, 01:01 AM

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00745&lang=enஇது "கார்த்திக் ராஜா" அமைத்த பாடல் என நண்பர் ஒருவர் தனக்கு நம்பத் தகுந்த வட்டாரத்திலிருந்து பெறப்பட்ட தகவலாக கூறுகிறார்.

app_engine
9th December 2010, 01:20 AM
கருகமணி கார்த்திக் கைவண்ணமா?

நல்லாப்பண்ணியிருக்கார்!

:thumbsup:

kiru
9th December 2010, 01:57 AM
nEthu oruthara oruthara parthOm - very groovy .. Rahman fans/younger generation might like this

kiru
9th December 2010, 02:00 AM
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00527&lang=en

typically i wait for listening to full album before i write about a song.. but this one got me even before song #2.
Particularly note how mild is the play of instruments in the second interlude - but the melody in the interlude is absolutely mind blowing...
Idhai naan "Ulagathukkum appaarpatta tharam" endru solven..
Yesappu has once again come to the party..
I always have a soft corner for the IR version of any song. But in this song KJY completely walks talls over anybody .. what a relaxed ..cool rendition. In contrast, IR, rushes through in an ordinary presentation. Good choice Jai.

tvsankar
9th December 2010, 02:38 AM

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00745&lang=enஇது "கார்த்திக் ராஜா" அமைத்த பாடல் என நண்பர் ஒருவர் தனக்கு நம்பத் தகுந்த வட்டாரத்திலிருந்து பெறப்பட்ட தகவலாக கூறுகிறார்.

Sound control with the time - Idhu IR oda Special.

Harmony - Idhuvum - Raja viru ena oru Style iruku.

indha 2m indha paatil - naan feel panren.

kozhambu - naan ready pannitu, en amma karuvepilaiyai pottu, thaalichu kottina..

adhu amma senja kozhamba enna.........
amma voda contribution iruku.. idhanae artham..
preparation - ennodadhu dhanae..

andha madhiri dhan ...
indha paatum irukanam.....
mudichu koduthu irukalam.. adhanala.. preparation - no chance. idhu Raja voda preparation dhan...... i am sure...................

tvsankar
9th December 2010, 02:55 AM
Nethu oruthara - Head phone la kaeten.

Idhu varai - kaekamal irundha - chinna chinna sounds ellam kaeten............

REally nice ............

IR - enna koothu mudinjadhum,

nathula
nadakura kaathula poothadhu - indha portion la , Gap la varum oru sound...

ipo dhan kaekaren..

Maasi masam varum - indha time il varum humming madhiri oru sound...........
idhaiyum ipodhu dhan kaeten.

kathula karaiyudhu moochu
kaviyamagilachu

indha time il - bridge madhiri - chinnadha oru Guitar sound...... nice one.

All are - Sound Decoration - for a Film Song........ This is Raja........

Swamy ku alangaram seiyum pookal madhiri.....

Thanks for the pick Kiru...........

tvsankar
9th December 2010, 02:58 AM
Yuavan ku - indha paatin - sila sounds.. Inspiration aga irundhu irukanam.. i feel...........

Sureshs65
9th December 2010, 01:05 PM
kiru,

Here is another song targeted towards youngsters. Song from the movie 'Shambu'. Nice beats and at the same time Raja keeps his melody intact. Well sung by Tipu and a singer called Usha. Check it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMiZ8k5KSbY&feature=youtu.be&a

The picturization is also targeted towards youngsters. (Now this will ensure that the elders will watch this as well :D )

crvenky
9th December 2010, 11:53 PM
Suresh65,
Shambu songs were also done on the same fashion as Hey Ram. The director was not happy with the songs provided by the MD booked earlier. So, Raja was roped in and he gave the songs for already picturized shots. I can see he did an amazing job here.

tvsankar
9th December 2010, 11:59 PM
Kaathirundha malli malli - Malli veeti Minor

IR's Flute - for Lady singer - will come as a friend.
sometime - as her soul......

in this song, this time , Flute is the lover for the Heroine.

Greatest Notes.............................

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00337&lang=en

tvsankar
10th December 2010, 12:06 AM
Nilave nee vara vendum..........
En 19 vayadhu teen age paiyanum pidichadhu dhan
enaku peirya vishayam.............. really
am very much happy.................

idhu Guitar.. idhu Violin.. idhu Soulful Renditiion.......

Think of this FLute...... Reflects the pain of the singer......

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00132&lang=en

tvsankar
10th December 2010, 12:17 AM
Udal thazhuva thazhuva

Mano and Minmini.

I love both of them............. very nice Voices...

Follower aga varum Beats..........

Solla theiryadha instruments sounds.....

Moon ku poitu varuadhai pola oru - Love Journey..........

5 Min la Quick Journey to the Moon with the love one..............

This is Raja................

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00262&lang=en

Sunil_M88
10th December 2010, 04:18 AM
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62VvhtzJPnY">Ambum Kombum Komban Kattum :notworthy:

Querida
10th December 2010, 05:26 AM
..stumbled upon "Vanna Kuyile" from "Priyanka"...
SPB at his charming best once again....

Opening Chorus simply too good:

vaNNa kuyile kuyil tharum kaviyE
kavi tharum isaiyE yeyeye (2)
kodi malarE malar vidum ithazhE
ithazh tharum madhuvE
VaNNa kuyilE kuyil tharum kaviyE
kavi tharum isaiyE yeyeye
malarilum mazhaiyilum
nadhiyilum unn uruvamE
therivadhenna azhagazhagaai
therivadhenna
VaNNa kuyile kuyil tharum kaviyE
kavi tharum isaiyE yeyeye

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EfImv9g6g0

Sureshs65
10th December 2010, 09:13 AM
Querida,

'vanakuyile' is a wonderful song. To me it seems that the song shifts between multiple ragas. It got some decent play time when the movie was released. But probably deserved more time than it got. Lovely singing by SPB.

Plum
10th December 2010, 02:52 PM
Sunil Malhotra - welcome and thanks for sharing your preferences. You are a rare specie as far as we are concerned - a Rahman fan+North Indian appreciating IR :-)

Sunil_M88
10th December 2010, 10:11 PM
Thank you for the welcome.

I have posted in Raaja sir's forum before, maybe you've missed reading a thread or two. But yes, I do rarely post here eventhough my 2nd or 3rd post in the hub since I joined was actually in this forum.

TBH, I've hardly been exposed to Raaja sir's music but I do remeber the first time I heard his music, which was the hindi version of Sirai Chaala, Thalapathy, and Nayagan. I used to listen to Sitam Ki aandhi (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LBq6BbeXVY) everyday before going to sleep. I would consider them my fav album of his along with Hey ram. But down the years from then I've been visiting his work here and there... (mainly hindi material like cheeni kum, shiva, paa and chal chalein)

Here is one of my earlier posts :)

If it weren't for Raaja saab, my ears wouldn't be blessed with the following tunes, Nee Partha, Chinna Kannan Azhaikiraan, Senthoora Poove and the title instrumental piece from The Music Messiah.

All these songs and the whole album of Sirai Chaalai have been on loop since morning. :musicsmile:

This was one of my former posts. But since that time my playlist has expanded thanks to nandalala, vaalmiki and the telugu films om shanthi and gaayam - 2.

Recently, I been Listening to Sadma and the tamil film, Valli.

In fact this film Valli, has been driving me nuts for ages because someone posted the prelude of <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rliiXr7wA7A
">Ennulle ennulle</a> to another song on youtube and I was thinking where have I heard this before and I coudn't decipher then AravindMano from the forum told me about the song.

Rajesh Roshan has been heavily inspired by Ennulle ennulle when composing Tera Gham Mera Gham (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXGfSJNAWYA) from Ghulam E Mustafa.

rajkumarc
11th December 2010, 03:32 AM
Listening to Thalattu Paadava album that came in the 90s - http://thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00621&lang=en.

It has beautiful songs with Varaathu Vandha Naayagan being the popular one. However, my favorite is Nee Thaana - a lilting tune, superb ludes and wonderfully sung by SJanaki and Arunmozhi. A highly under-rated album I would say along the lines of Puthiya Raagam.

kiru
11th December 2010, 09:20 AM
@Suresh65 - good melody. I was trying to point out even earlier IR did "loops" with the song structure that sounds like it is a big pallavi (I dont know how to put it technically).
@Usha - if your son likes that IR song..it is really great. I guess he would be a very detailed kind of person.
@rajkumar - I like nee thaanE song too. I also Arunmozhi, serious singer, tried to do a good job of what is given to him.

kiru
11th December 2010, 09:39 AM
Rajesh Roshan has been heavily inspired by Ennulle ennulle when composing Tera Gham Mera Gham (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXGfSJNAWYA) from Ghulam E Mustafa.
Yes, but he reveals the notes he has taken (in the starting bit) and goes on to compose the whole song his way, I think.
BTW, coming from Rahman I can tell siraichaalai would be a pleasant listen. I feel it is somewhat "loosely" structured like Rahman songs. But you seem to have gotten into the hardcode IR stuff like ennullE. There is an expression in the tamil language - you have to dive for the pearls. Dive into IR's repertoire and enjoy.

tvsankar
11th December 2010, 11:30 AM
thalatu paadava - indha paatai kaeta time......
kaetka kidaitha vidham......

Maraka mudiyadha naatkal.

Kalyanam ana piragu, indha Hosur il kudithanam.
Telugu oor. tamil songs kaetka mudiyavilai.

tamil film - theatre il adhigam varavilai.

tv il - Bangalore kannada channel..

tamil kaetka mudiyavillai. IR Tami songs ai miss pannina sogam. (kalyanam agitu - idhu dhan orae kavalai enaku.. set um vanga mudiyavillai.)

kudithanam vandhu 15 naalil - en veetuku pakkathil - paatu satham...

pudhu paatu..........

oru tea kadai vandhadhu... adhil dhan tamil paatu - pudhu paatu elalm.

Paatu style - IR nu solradhu...... sandhosham pattadharku - vaarthai illai.

apadi kaeta First Album - Thaalatu Paadava

apodhu ellam - no sound polution in our Area.

Early mor - Sankar office ponadhum,
veetuku veiliyae - paatai kaetu kondae,
asaiyaga veetu velai elalm seidha nyabgam dhan varum.. indha album kaekum podhellam...

rajkumar - thanks for the album..............

Sankar in friends - IR songs - pudhu padam patri pesum podhu,
padathin peyarai therindhu kolven.

Sankar missed all .. Office ponal - epadi paatai kaekaradhu..
Friends paatai pathi pesum podhu - porumaiyaga kaetu kolvar.

Naan dhan - kurukae kurukae solven - indha paata, naan Tea kadaiyil kaeten .

veetuku vandhadhum - Sankar kaetar - Yen - ipadi tea kadaiyil kaeten nu solre... Paatai kaeten nu matum solradhu dhaanae...

naan sonnen - nama kite set ilai. Ungalukum paatai theriyalai. apo , naan paatai kaeten nu sonna - epadi nambuvanga..
adhanala dhan unmai sonnen.........

hahahhahah..

tvsankar
11th December 2010, 11:39 AM
@Suresh65 - good melody. I was trying to point out even earlier IR did "loops" with the song structure that sounds like it is a big pallavi (I dont know how to put it technically).
@Usha - if your son likes that IR song..it is really great. I guess he would be a very detailed kind of person.
@rajkumar - I like nee thaanE song too. I also Arunmozhi, serious singer, tried to do a good job of what is given to him.

kiru - about my son - Your words are 200% true.....

romba paduthuvan..... hahhhaha.....

tvsankar
11th December 2010, 11:41 AM
My pick is - Vennilavuku vaanatha pidikalaiya

Extrarodinary FLute and Violin...........

Beats - something different......

nichayam - Beautiful Composition...................

SoftSword
13th December 2010, 05:40 AM
vaarthai thavari vittaai....
raja, i wanna kiss ur feet............

sivasub
15th December 2010, 09:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G70pUMJx3H8&feature=related

Gopemma chetilo goru mudda... wow what a song!!! The number of variations in this song is worth a million songs. Vamsi stuck to IR despite Ramoji Rao (producer) not wanting him and the result was fabulous.

tvsankar
15th December 2010, 07:07 PM
sivasub,

Thanks for the real GEM

Greatest NOTES of the FLUTE...........
follows after the lalalalala.................

tvsankar
15th December 2010, 07:32 PM
Excellent no of Raaja...................

indha paatai head phone la kaeten.
Got Great experience....

Wat a beats..........

IR's Guitar............. speaks a lot.........

Really am liking this song so much..... dono the reason..........

28th song of the list

Heerugari - Chettu kinda pleedaru

http://www.chimatamusic.com/rajendraPrasad.php

thumburu
15th December 2010, 07:34 PM
"thaazhampoove vaasam veesu" - a perfect balm in Madhyamavathi to soothe the frayed nerves. Usha, this one is for you.
Now, coming to the movie part, it was universally dissed as Mahendran;s worst by AV/Kalki etc. But when I watched it recently, I felt it was not half as bad as even the over hyped hit movies of today. This song and "kaNNukuLLe yaaro" were the only noteworthy numbers . Fortunately, the rape victim [Revathy] was given the right to live unlike the regressive tamil movie culture of killing them. Rajini was cool to watch minus his usual bombastic style. Regarding the song, its flute and violins ruling all over and the second interlude music in particular, is my most fav . I would like to know what is the instruement used that produces a bell like sound in the middle of the charanam? "Ini naan kodi murai porappen" :Bell ?

tvsankar
15th December 2010, 07:39 PM
thumburu,
thanks for the song.........
how r u....
bell sound.........

nama hub IR Makkal dhan sollanam..............
yarum vara matengaralae indha thread ku............

thanks for the visiting thumburu.....

tvsankar
15th December 2010, 07:45 PM
Ethana Madhyamavathi - IR dhu iruko...
adhu ellam enaku than. hahahha..
romba kiruku.. IR oda Madhyamavathi ku.............

tvsankar
15th December 2010, 08:42 PM
Shiv Shankar

IR's 2004 album.................. Nice album..

Krishna nuuvu raaku....

Hindustani style.. IR' touch.. means...
characters and the Nativity...............

raagathuku - mood and Feelings - IR Factory la kedaikara GIFT..........

tvsankar
16th December 2010, 01:03 AM
Yeru pidichavarae
yechu putta vallaare

beautiful song of PS and MSV from IR....

Lead guitar - mesmerises me.............

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00278&lang=en

tvsankar
16th December 2010, 04:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lcb9N6PJBQ

See this link. One IlaiyaRaja Fan mixes this song for the youtube.

Nice to see............................

Sureshs65
17th December 2010, 09:22 PM
Just heard two superb all time great songs sung by Shailaja on 'Manadodu Mano' which happens on Friday evenings on Jaya TV. 'edho ninaivugal' and 'chinnan chiru vayadhil'. Both of which Shailaja had sung with Jesudas. No both running inside my head. Shailaja said that if a singer wants to give good training for his/her voice, then 'edho ninavugal' should be practised regularly!! Wonderful, wonderful songs both of them.

'edho ninaivugal' : http://bit.ly/eyz6mC
'chinnan chiru vayadhil' : http://bit.ly/g8IvGR

app_engine
17th December 2010, 09:39 PM
Just heard two superb all time great songs sung by Shailaja on 'Manadodu Mano' which happens on Friday evenings on Jaya TV. 'edho ninaivugal' and 'chinnan chiru vayadhil'. Both of which Shailaja had sung with Jesudas. No both running inside my head. Shailaja said that if a singer wants to give good training for his/her voice, then 'edho ninavugal' should be practised regularly!! Wonderful, wonderful songs both of them.

'edho ninaivugal' : http://bit.ly/eyz6mC
'chinnan chiru vayadhil' : http://bit.ly/g8IvGR

Both have started automatically playing in my mind :-) இந்தப்பாட்டெல்லாம் கேக்குறதுக்கு - இடையிசைகள், சின்ன பாஸ் கிட்டார் சத்தம் உட்பட - எனக்கு ஆடியோ ப்ளேயரே வேண்டாம் :-)

Sureshs65
17th December 2010, 10:00 PM
app_eng,

Very true :) Raja has turned our mind into a high quality record player!! As you say, every small bit plays automatically in our mind.

irir123
18th December 2010, 12:32 AM
app_eng,

Very true :) Raja has turned our mind into a high quality record player!! As you say, every small bit plays automatically in our mind.

adhai yaen ketkareenga ?! whether am playing cricket, or making a presentation to a class/meeting, some IR song will randomly start playing in my mind, and it will be hard to press the 'stop' bottom! it took me a while to figure out a way to keep the music outta my mind, and focus on the task at hand!

venkkiram
18th December 2010, 12:32 AM
பூ பூத்தது - மும்பை எக்ஸ்பிரஸ் (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00377&lang=en)

என்ன ஒரு பாடல்! சுகானுபவம். சோனு - ஷ்ரேயா குரல்கள் ஒரு மெல்லிய தங்க இழை போல இசையில் ஊடுருவிச் செல்லும் அழகே அழகுதான்.

Jazz இசைக்கு ராஜா அணிவித்த ஒரு அணிகலன் இந்தப் பாடல்.

சோனுவை ராஜா தனது ஹிந்திப் படப் பாடல்களுக்கு அடிக்கடி பயன்படுத்திக்கொள்ளணும்.

ajithfederer
18th December 2010, 03:14 AM
Just now realized that Sonu Nigam sang this song :omg:. Much much better than the udit's and one more dabara thalayan.

Raaja :bow:. Thanks venki.

பூ பூத்தது - மும்பை எக்ஸ்பிரஸ் (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00377&lang=en)

என்ன ஒரு பாடல்! சுகானுபவம். சோனு - ஷ்ரேயா குரல்கள் ஒரு மெல்லிய தங்க இழை போல இசையில் ஊடுருவிச் செல்லும் அழகே அழகுதான்.

irir123
18th December 2010, 04:27 AM

AFAIK, MX is a class album and a milestone in Indian film music (just the same as ARR's "IRUVAR" is) in terms of how jazz has been so beautifully used in the Indian filmy minimalistic tradition!

'kurangu kaiyyil' from MX is an absolute jazz stunner - the prelude and the second interlude are stuff that no other Indian composer ever dared compose

ajithfederer
18th December 2010, 05:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGsOgjAQuY8&feature=player_embedded

the first interlude from 1:08 especially from 1:22 to 1:54. Romba saadharanama oru sadhanai seyyaraaru 8-)