PDA

View Full Version : Raja's Gems - the latest one you heard...Part 3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

KV
10th May 2011, 04:53 PM
Disco King - Isai Paadum Thendral (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00210&lang=en)
Well, I chanced upon this song sometime back and kinda got hooked to its catchiness – nothing standout in the orchestration, but the tune is a nice and simple sing-along one.
Now, I have no bloody idea about this movie, its cast or this song’s picturization. While the video could be a good comic relief, I somehow find the singing in this song absolutely rib-tickling! This song has SPB+SJ written all over it, would’ve been quite a riot. But instead, we have chammathu kodams KJY and VJ, who kinda turn it into an ameidhi oorvalam, for such is the inhibition I find in their singing (in this song), especially VJ’s (check out the falsettos and the Pomeranian-puppy-bark like sounds in the charanams :lol:). Its like as if a docile couple of middle-school teachers were forced to sing a romantic duet in their wedding nalangu ceremony and guy nervously shot off into a SPB+SJ disco song and the girl meekly followed him.

Plum
10th May 2011, 05:42 PM
especially VJ’s (check out the falsettos and the Pomeranian-puppy-bark like sounds in the charanams :lol:).

:rotfl: - perfect description of (with due respect) Vani ma'ams attempt at Cool stuff

Its like as if a docile couple of middle-school teachers were forced to sing a romantic duet in their wedding nalangu ceremony and guy nervously shot off into a SPB+SJ disco song and the girl meekly followed him.
:lol:

V_S
10th May 2011, 07:23 PM
Its like as if a docile couple of middle-school teachers were forced to sing a romantic duet in their wedding nalangu ceremony and guy nervously shot off into a SPB+SJ disco song and the girl meekly followed him.
:lol: eppadi sir ippadi ellam...

Sureshs65
10th May 2011, 07:50 PM
KV,

:lol: Super

Listening to 'uthama puthiri naanu' from 'Guru Sishyan'. Got a tape which has Guru Sishyan and Puthu Paatu. Wonderful songs in both the films. Was driving back from Chennai and played this tape in a loop multiple times. I haven't heard this song earlier. Swarnalatha is superb and what a flow to the song.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0982'&lang=en

app_engine
10th May 2011, 08:10 PM
KV,
:lol:

You've kindled my interest to listen to this song (once I reach home, considering my workplace safety)!

Sureshs65
11th May 2011, 12:40 AM
'bhavani varugira' from Ponnar Shankar. It just shows how far Raja has moved ahead of us !!! What a mix of technology and folk. Added to it, the twisting and turning tune. And added to it Shreya's voice. (Though she is best in 'malarvillile') What a knockout song and all I keep hearing on FM channels are the generic stuff thrown out by every other music director nowadays. Beyond doubt 'Ponnar Shankar' is a knockout album, notwithstanding that it knocks out only the Raja fan :)

app_engine
11th May 2011, 01:13 AM
notwithstanding that it knocks out only the Raja fan :)

There are some exceptions too, like my 5 year old, who likes the P-S ones.

Normally, she wants me to change the CD to one of "her brother's CDs" as soon as we get into the car (means, ingilipeesu).

With this, she does not allow me to FF / skip :-)

app_engine
11th May 2011, 01:15 AM
Interestingly, it's me who wants to jump to the madai thiRandhu / Edho mOham / pAda vA / sangeetha mEgam in the end of the CD, skipping P-S to my comfort zone :lol:

app_engine
11th May 2011, 01:20 AM
Honey soaked Chitra voice this morning, 'EdhEdhO eNNam vaLarththEn' of punnagai mannan. KSC was perhaps at her best when singing for this album

'edhu vandha pOthum, indha anbu pO/O/O/thum' is so sweet and enjoyable!

Give me any day such tabla / bass guitar / chords combo rhythm and lead guitar interludes! The first interlude never fails to amaze me, the slow paced guitar marvel - what a song!

rajkumarc
11th May 2011, 12:07 PM
Listening to two lovely songs from Moonampakkam.

Thamarakili (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCZvtyNay2U) - what a breezy yet smooth flowing tune. Beautiful flute prelude. Love the rendition of KSC and MGSreekumar.

Unarume Gaanam (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXklY9Hx558) - as soulful as it can get. The picturization is touching and poignant. Who is the singer of this song? Haven't heard any other song of this singer.

raj_musing
11th May 2011, 07:03 PM

Thamarakili (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCZvtyNay2U) - what a breezy yet smooth flowing tune. Beautiful flute prelude. Love the rendition of KSC and MGSreekumar.

Unarume Gaanam (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXklY9Hx558) - as soulful as it can get. The picturization is touching and poignant. Who is the singer of this song? Haven't heard any other song of this singer.

The singer is Venugopal,who bagged state award for this song! He has sung in raja's GURU as well. Listen to Guru sharanam song from that album..

V_S
11th May 2011, 07:33 PM
'bhavani varugira' from Ponnar Shankar. It just shows how far Raja has moved ahead of us !!! What a mix of technology and folk. Added to it, the twisting and turning tune. And added to it Shreya's voice. (Though she is best in 'malarvillile') What a knockout song and all I keep hearing on FM channels are the generic stuff thrown out by every other music director nowadays. Beyond doubt 'Ponnar Shankar' is a knockout album, notwithstanding that it knocks out only the Raja fan :)
:thumbsup: Yes, a thesis can be written on Bhavani Varugira alone, even after that there will be a lot to uncover. There are many small small things in this song, one which comes to my mind immediately is the pambai(??) which comes for short duration twice during the second interlude. Without that instrument there, sort of creates a big void. Extra-ordinary thinking. This song deserves to be there along with Hey rams and Gurus.

PARAMASHIVAN
11th May 2011, 09:12 PM
Slight digression //
I agree Shreya is one extremely Talented Singer, but having entered the industry in 2002 and winning 4 National awards within 9 years looks very biased by the selectors! , I mean We have legends singing for 45 years (SPB) and 50 years (KJY) managing only 6 and 7 in 5 decades and here we have singer who just entered the music industry in 2002 and winning 4 national awards in 9 year!!! , any take on this?
//

app_engine
11th May 2011, 09:44 PM
Slight digression //
I agree Shreya is one extremely Talented Singer, but having entered the industry in 2002 and winning 4 National awards within 9 years looks very biased by the selectors! , I mean We have legends singing for 45 years (SPB) and 50 years (KJY) managing only 6 and 7 in 5 decades and here we have singer who just entered the music industry in 2002 and winning 4 national awards in 9 year!!! , any take on this?
//

Shows how bad the competition is today :wink:

raj_musing
11th May 2011, 09:51 PM
Slight digression //
//

The judging panel need not be accurate and there are a lot of biased decissions.Some of these legends are beyond all these awards, as they live in hearts of the millions of people...forever and that is the biggest recognition, than these awards..
Has Mohmd Rafi recieved a national award in his career?How many did Kishorji get?
So that tells tells us the strory..

Plum
11th May 2011, 09:59 PM
I understand the intention but Shreya deserves her awards every bit. Competition or no competition, an all time great singer she is. Age and experience need not be the sole determinants. There is only one award every year and it's been given only last 42 years.

PARAMASHIVAN
11th May 2011, 10:01 PM
I understand the intention but Shreya deserves her awards every bit. Competition or no competition, an all time great singer she is. Age and experience need not be the sole determinants. There is only one award every year and it's been given only last 42 years.

Plum

Neega ninaikira mathiri oru intention um illa, certainly not from me, Even Rafi and KK were not given this much awards!

Plum
11th May 2011, 10:06 PM
Adhukkennanga paNNa mudiyin. Anil Kapoor amitap pachanlAm undeserved sollunga oru nyaayam irukku. Shreya got her awards for excellent singing only. Can't question her awards. And she got for marathi, bengali songs as well. Not exactly always bollywood

PARAMASHIVAN
11th May 2011, 10:09 PM
Adhukkennanga paNNa mudiyin. Anil Kapoor amitap pachanlAm undeserved sollunga oru nyaayam irukku. Shreya got her awards for excellent singing only. Can't question her awards. And she got for marathi, bengali songs as well. Not exactly always bollywood

3 Hindi and 1 Marathi AFAIK , sari IPL pakkam vaanga dilscoop is scooping :lol2: :yessir:

app_engine
12th May 2011, 12:33 AM
Shreya's 'kaNNil pArvai' is award worthy material (call it national international anything - it is worthy, though it was thought to be unworthy by the concerned to even keep on screen) :-)

She is right there with PS, SJ & KSC!

Plum
12th May 2011, 01:55 PM
Absoleetly App - kaNNil pArvai and kunnathE are both national award material for the respective singers. Unfortunately, neither got the recognition. I am glad Shreya got for other songs - albeit with less deserving ones possibly. I think the Marathi and Bengali songs were quite good. Devdas, Munnabhai stuff werent that great songs but overall, she deserves 4 awards in 9 years for countless IR songs and Rahman stuff(munbE vAa) which didnt get it.

Sureshs65
12th May 2011, 05:30 PM
I think comparing new singers like Shreya with old singers like P.Susheela and Janaki may not be fair to the older sings :) The reason is that singers like Shreya get a lot of leeway in the way they sing. They can sing line by line and get the complete song joined together. The older stalwarts did not have this facility and did it in one take. At the same time comparing Shreya with the older stalwarts in not fair to her because she doesn't have the same quality music directors which Lata, Susheela or Janaki had!!! So it is better to leave it at that and say that of the new lot, she is the best. And forget the awards!!! They can never be a criteria in judging the singer.

PARAMASHIVAN
12th May 2011, 05:34 PM
I think comparing new singers like Shreya with old singers like P.Susheela and Janaki may not be fair to the older sings :) The reason is that singers like Shreya get a lot of leeway in the way they sing. They can sing line by line and get the complete song joined together. The older stalwarts did not have this facility and did it in one take. At the same time comparing Shreya with the older stalwarts in not fair to her because she doesn't have the same quality music directors which Lata, Susheela or Janaki had!!! So it is better to leave it at that and say that of the new lot, she is the best. And forget the awards!!! They can never be a criteria in judging the singer.

:exactly: ,

raj_musing
12th May 2011, 08:47 PM

Suresh, Correct !! I was listening to Idea star singer season 5 where S Janaki came as as a special judge, the first time ever in this episode...She shared very interesting anecdotes about her early career...It was worth watching and good to see how all singers and judges reacted to most of her songs...few episodes from (5th May to 10th May) not to be missed and the respect she commands from all quarters.Listen to the link below from 2,55 t0 10.59...She says she missed an award for this particular kannada song and got for "Senthoora poove"...and amazing that she sang this without being trained in carnatic music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tonW4gYsSkw&feature=related

Sureshs65
13th May 2011, 09:20 AM
/Dig

RM,

Thanks for the Janaki link. Superb song. Must write about this soon in my blog :) A very difficult song to sing indeed and she does a great job. And as I had mentioned she had to do it in a single take. Nowadays people can sing each raga alone and then mix and match.
/End Dig

Querida
13th May 2011, 10:19 AM
Oorellam un pAttu dhAn ('http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVCjH40BpRs&feature=related'). Got to know about this song from a reality show. Simply Whatay!

Swarnalatha :clap:

Just heard this song...if "Whatay" means captivating then I agree completely. :thumbsup:

Querida
13th May 2011, 10:35 AM

Thamarakili ("http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCZvtyNay2U") - what a breezy yet smooth flowing tune. Beautiful flute prelude. Love the rendition of KSC and MGSreekumar.

Unarume Gaanam ("http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXklY9Hx558") - as soulful as it can get. The picturization is touching and poignant. Who is the singer of this song? Haven't heard any other song of this singer.

I'm getting goosebumps just listening to "Unarumee gaanam"
it certainly is a heart-warming and soulful as you said. The kuyil like flute and voices cooing make it light-hearted and the singer's voices first reminded me of a young KJ, a very pleasant voice.

"Thamarakili" it actually has a jazzy beat in the background, something that would be highlighted if this were more of a modern pop song. The piano adds a very light, playful touch.
Is that IR with the "thana nana naa naa naa" ?

Querida
13th May 2011, 10:53 AM
I would like to highlight one of my fav actor Karthik's movie , Solla Tudikuthu Manasu,

I hope it's better late then never, but I wanted to say what a pleasure it was to read your comments on STM album, actually you are very right about "Poove Sem Poove" being the most popular pick..I didn't even know that these other songs come from this same album. Thank you for sharing! :2thumbsup:

When I was a little one I use to sing along to the "Oh!" part in "Enathu Vizhi"...meaning I was pretty much oh'ing a little too early or a little too late and way more than I needed to :mrgreen:

I love the flute/violin combo in MV's song, his voice is so cheeky :D
I really appreciate Mano's ventures into melodic numbers, he always seems to get them be signature hits
what readily comes to mind is his intensely addictive "Adho Mega Oorvalam"
superb use of violin in this number...
IR is irresistible
even with a song like this...the bgm is simply exquisite, folk yes but with a hidden treasure of classic in it.

Sureshs65
13th May 2011, 12:54 PM
Querida,

'unaroomee ganam' is an all time classic. Very touching song. The one more very brief sad version of it which will make you cry. Starts from the charnam and goes something like 'niramaara chaarthi'. The other song 'thamarakili' juts moves me by its beauty, especially in the charanams. I have always stated this: If I were to take away only one part of Raja it will be the Raja in 80s in Malayalam. And these songs will be part of it :)

raj_musing
13th May 2011, 04:37 PM
/Dig

RM,

Thanks for the Janaki link. Superb song. Must write about this soon in my blog :) A very difficult song to sing indeed and she does a great job. And as I had mentioned she had to do it in a single take. Nowadays people can sing each raga alone and then mix and match.
/End Dig

Exactly..and the timing of your post was apt,as I could pull out the proof of evidence,quickly as I had watched this program last day :) :)...Sorry to digress,and back to raja's gems..

Querida
14th May 2011, 04:30 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUnydYq--mw&feature=player_embedded#at=10

V_S
14th May 2011, 05:18 AM
'Vandhaale Allipoo' is one heck of a song. It's one of Krish's (Yahoo group) favorite song. I believe he has uploaded this video. It's a true tribute to all great muscians who worked with Raja that time. As he says, this song takes us to a dream world. Thanks Que for reminding this one!

PS: I like Maestro's smile @1:50 in the video. Intha maadhiri avar free'ya (with no inhibition) sirichu pala varusham aayirukkum'nu nenikkiren. May be he doesn't have such friendly surroundings, carefree life and real friends around him nowadays.:-(

skr
14th May 2011, 09:35 AM
This day,35 years ago on 14th May 1976,a man from Pannaipuram,TN entered the world of Film Music though Annakili.
The rest as they say is history
Thanks to this gentleman,my entire lifetime is secure with good music
A person truly worth evangelising
Satisfying the general music lovers as well as the esoteric
All hail the Maestro for completing 35 yrs in the Industry
May all Elements say his Name
Ilaiyaraja !
Let us dedicate this day to Music's greatest treasure ..

skr
14th May 2011, 09:36 AM
I came here wanting to post the gem Vandhaale Allipoo and look at the telepathy..Raja's fans think alike :):)

Devaraagam
14th May 2011, 03:53 PM
Listening Yava shilpi from Janma janmada anubandha. GR8 orchastration and SPB is gave 200% support to IR. Class interludes....started the loop :)

Devaraagam
14th May 2011, 07:33 PM
I am listening Kamaraj film song..naadu parthathunda...it is one of soulful song...whenever you listen..can able to feel abt him..

Sureshs65
15th May 2011, 10:10 PM
I don't know how I missed this song. (Actually I think of a lot of Raja songs this way.) Recommended by fellow hubber equanimus on twitter, now listening to 'Thanga Nilavukkul' from 'Rickshaw Mama'. Based on Madhyamavathi. What a song and wonderful singing by SPB, as usual. I don't know how Raja can come up with such a variety in Madhyamavathi !!!

tvsankar
16th May 2011, 12:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz8U8dOPcAY&feature=related

Mouni naanu - Suryakanthi

wat an compositiion............ solla vaarthai ilai....

Simple madhiri thonum EXCELLENT Compositiion.................... idhu dhan Raja voda prob............. hahaha.

San_K
16th May 2011, 01:12 AM
I don't know how I missed this song. (Actually I think of a lot of Raja songs this way.) Recommended by fellow hubber equanimus on twitter, now listening to 'Thanga Nilavukkul' from 'Rickshaw Mama'. Based on Madhyamavathi. What a song and wonderful singing by SPB, as usual. I don't know how Raja can come up with such a variety in Madhyamavathi !!!

Indeed an addictive song. If you once get soaked, you can not escape from getting addicted :). Both IR & SPB :notworthy:

Querida
16th May 2011, 04:09 AM
'Vandhaale Allipoo' is one heck of a song. It's one of Krish's (Yahoo group) favorite song. I believe he has uploaded this video. It's a true tribute to all great muscians who worked with Raja that time. As he says, this song takes us to a dream world. Thanks Que for reminding this one!

PS: I like Maestro's smile @1:50 in the video. Intha maadhiri avar free'ya (with no inhibition) sirichu pala varusham aayirukkum'nu nenikkiren. May be he doesn't have such friendly surroundings, carefree life and real friends around him nowadays.:-( Oh no, I hope that isn't true!! =(

To hear this from you V_S is really an honour, after all you have found and shared so many wonderful gems in this thread and others.

I came here wanting to post the gem Vandhaale Allipoo and look at the telepathy..Raja's fans think alike :):)

SKR, Thank you for truly making my day! :D

Querida
16th May 2011, 04:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz8U8dOPcAY&feature=related

Mouni naanu - Suryakanthi

wat an compositiion............ solla vaarthai ilai....

Simple madhiri thonum EXCELLENT Compositiion.................... idhu dhan Raja voda prob............. hahaha.

Wow Usha, such an airy, light, pretty piece! Love the water sound effects added...Karthik...is that really you? Wow...

rajkumarc
16th May 2011, 12:01 PM

Wow... what a song... :bow: :bow: Can't thank you enough Querida for introducing me to this song.

Any such discoveries of gems just makes you wonder how many more are there.. this makes it very special for me because it's sung by IR. The video has some wonderful pictures of IR.

rajkumarc
16th May 2011, 12:04 PM
Revisited Ayyan songs. Enakkena Oruthi and Manasoram are very nice songs that will be in my playlist for a while.

KV
16th May 2011, 12:34 PM
Querida, thanks a ton for Vandhale Allipoo! Absolut beauty!
I want to listen to this one badly! Any link other than youtube, pls? Cant find it on Thiraipaadal/paadal. :(

skr
16th May 2011, 06:23 PM
KV Sir,give me your Mail ID..I will send this song..This is a song which completely hypnotised me.
This song is not available anywhere on the net. FYI this song was discovered by a Raja fan in an 1983 LP record at an old music store in Coimbatore and converted it to MP3.

KV
16th May 2011, 06:45 PM
Thanks skr sir, for the song and info! PM'd you my email id.
Is the song from Kann sivandhal mann sivakkum? Did it feature in the film?

skr
16th May 2011, 10:15 PM
Vicky in brilliant form..Check him playing Vizhiyil Vizhunthu from Azhaigal Oyivathillai on the iPad..Sensational creativity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw3ewHrTCQU

Querida
17th May 2011, 07:35 AM
Querida, thanks a ton for Vandhale Allipoo! Absolut beauty!
I want to listen to this one badly! Any link other than youtube, pls? Cant find it on Thiraipaadal/paadal. :(

I'm glad skr could help you, because all I could find was one link that had songs from the movie (which you guessed correctly) except for "Vandhale Allipoo" :(

http://www.haihoi.com/tamil-movies/Mp3/downloads/music/filmsongs.php?songs=Kan%20Sivanthal%20Man%20Sivakk um&id=5385&name=&mode=1

rajkumarc
17th May 2011, 11:00 AM
Thanks skr sir, for the song and info! PM'd you my email id.
Is the song from Kann sivandhal mann sivakkum? Did it feature in the film?

It is featured in the film. I bought the DVD of this movie in India only because of Manitha Manitha song without realizing it holds the Vandhaale treasure. BTW, the song is picturized nicely without killing it's mood. It's not lip-synced and comes in the background which is perfect.

Plum
17th May 2011, 01:13 PM
+1 on uNarumee gAnam and ThaamarakiLi (sikkan 65's post)
uNarumee gAnam is yet another of those emotional disturbers - with my usual protestations about not being of an age to understand the emotion but still disturbed in a way that makes a lot of sense now that I have experienced life. It is like this man has helped me grow up with some specific place-holders in my mind for certain emotions through his specific songs/music, which later kind of lights up when you are grown up enough to understand the emotion and go through it.

KV
17th May 2011, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the info rajkumarc. Let me try hunting to see if I can catch the video online anywhere.
The song feels straight out of Eera Vizhi Kaaviyangal - the dreamy mood, the silky smooth singing and guitars (the two movies are from the same time period, I see, 82-83).

KV
17th May 2011, 02:06 PM
Thennamarathula thendraladikkudhu (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1799'&lang=en) (IR, PS) from a 1979 movie 'Lakshmi'.
Until two days back I didn't know such a song/movie even existed; chanced upon it while lazily browsing Thiraipaadal.
IR brings in his folk expertise for this lively, springy tune that just keeps bouncing like those little rubber ping-pong balls!
The marriage of tune to lyrics is superb in this song, not a single word feels jerky or out-of-place.

tvsankar
17th May 2011, 06:19 PM
KV,
Thanks for Thenna marathula.

Unmaiyana village Brought up aga irukum Raja Fansku than.. indha paatin interludes (Beautiful Love Expression) miga nanraga rasika mudiyum..........

Rajavin - Guitar -- idharku paithiyam aga arambitha naal.
Beats - Mayaka arambitha Naatkal..........

Ellavataraiyum vida.. Radio Days.. Mono sound il... Radio station ku sambandham illadha.. oru dhooramana ooril irundhu kondu... oru Trichy RAdio station kum, coimbatore RAdio station kum.. kashta patta naal ... Radio Signal kaga..
Chennai. Vividh Bharath - iravil.... after 11 p m ku than varum.. adhil indha padathu paatukaga vilambaram...
konjamaga kaetkum indha paatu ellam.. epadi irukum... enai karpanaiyaiyum, asaiyaiyum adhigam panniya naatkal.....

padal vandhu... kaetkum podhu.. indha Guitar ai - Radio vil kaetka kashta padanam.. Aerial wire ai - oru angle il pidithu kondu nirka vendum.. apodhu dhan indha patin .. indha guitar sound ai kaetka muidyum..

apadi kashta pattu kaetadhal.. kadavul karunai viaithu.. .ipodhu.. indha comp ulagil... Miga Miga nanraga kaeta vaithu irukirar........Thanks to God.

Thanks for the pick KV.

V_S
17th May 2011, 07:42 PM
Plum,
Well said about Moonam Pakkam songs. Same feelings. Eventhough I have been introduced to IR's Malayalam/Telugu/Kannada songs during my school/college days, I didn't quite acknowledge at that time, which I still repent even today. Only during 90's I started giving myself completely to these language songs and then realised my sin. Kannada and Telugu especially, because some of my senior friends who completed their degree by that time were in Bangalore and Hyderabad and used get all IR's latest Kannada/Telugu songs to our town when they get back. Eventhough I have listened, not given much thought about it.

V_S
17th May 2011, 07:52 PM
KV, Just like Oram Po, Thenna marathula was very famous during AIR days in 1979/1980. I love that young Raja's voice. A very refreshing folk tune. Usha ji I can completely visualize your post. Aptly said about holding the radio to one side where we get the signal (atleast feeble) to listen to these gems. We used to do for Ilangai vaanoli. My father used to somehow get some station eventhough feeble. I would say he is the biggest radio fan even now (radio would run 24 hours 7 days a week in our home). Enjoyable days!

KV
17th May 2011, 07:59 PM
Ushaji, ungal iniya ninaivugalai engaludan pagirndhukondadarkku mikka nanri.
Like IR's music, your writing has the ability to create the ambience.

app_engine
17th May 2011, 08:18 PM
Usha chEchi,
Thank you for taking me back to radio days. I still remember the struggle to listen to the bass guitar sounds (sometimes you can hear them only if you listen to the "rear" side of the valve radio / speakers :lol: )

thenna maraththula was possibly the first duet for IR as a singer (definitely his first with PS).

KV
17th May 2011, 08:21 PM
V_S, at my place, though the radio was part of our daily life, the story's a bit different. My paati (RIP) used to exercise her monopoly over it (manufactured by 'Bush', lovely build quality). She would rarely allow anyone to lay hands on it, fearing it would 'disturb the setting' of her favorite, daily-dose Chennai vaanoli kacheris, the only time of the day when the radio was supposed to be switched on!
I would anyway meddle with it every now and then, when she would be away, only to screw up the 'settings' and earn her wrath later!

V_S
17th May 2011, 08:41 PM
Absolutely KV! Very Nice to know:-D. We used to have a valve radio which we used to operate, but just like you said, my father has a transistor which only he operates. Same thing happened to valve system, it went off soon (as we operated), but the phillips transistor is still with him. Even when we touch and suppose it slips, you have to see his face :lol: He use to treat it like another child (clean it everyday and maintain it excellently), such is the passion they have.

Bala (Karthik)
17th May 2011, 10:20 PM
Thanks A LOT Querida :) Beautiful beautiful song. Unmatched ambience and soul - phaser, bass lines, the tune, the meter.....

And by the way, this is ridiculous, wth! We keep "discovering" song after song from Raaja's filmography and we call ourselves his fans (and we are not fans from last night)! Ethana...

Sureshs65
17th May 2011, 11:29 PM
Bala,

Was talking with a friend about the same thing. He was surprised that I didn't know a song in a Ramarajan movie and I was shocked that he had not heard much of Raja's Malayalam works of 80s. Infact in a conversation with rajasaranam, we concluded that we will analyze Raja in various ways and then someone will come up with one more point of view, which will also be apt. As Plum said earlier, whichever way you cut him, he is a diamond!!! And yes, the discovery is just endless.

San_K
18th May 2011, 12:09 AM

Never listened before. Crore :ty:

marvelous, wonderful, excellent - vera ennatha solla

Divine22
18th May 2011, 09:11 AM
I hope it's better late then never, but I wanted to say what a pleasure it was to read your comments on STM album, actually you are very right about "Poove Sem Poove" being the most popular pick..I didn't even know that these other songs come from this same album. Thank you for sharing! :2thumbsup:

When I was a little one I use to sing along to the "Oh!" part in "Enathu Vizhi"...meaning I was pretty much oh'ing a little too early or a little too late and way more than I needed to :mrgreen:

I love the flute/violin combo in MV's song, his voice is so cheeky :D
I really appreciate Mano's ventures into melodic numbers, he always seems to get them be signature hits
what readily comes to mind is his intensely addictive "Adho Mega Oorvalam"
superb use of violin in this number...
IR is irresistible
even with a song like this...the bgm is simply exquisite, folk yes but with a hidden treasure of classic in it.

Thanks alot Querida ... Songs such as these brings back alot of fond child hood memories ;)

V_S
18th May 2011, 09:12 AM
Can't come out of ASK title score. Beautiful Coda passage at the end (just as at the start). Just in 2 1/2 minutes Maestro is trying to convey so many things, but first trying to get out of emotional content, which itself is a daunting task. Through this score Maestro is telling to focus on your heart's deepest desire. :notworthy:

Sureshs65
18th May 2011, 09:23 PM
Listening to this gem from 'Kelviyum Naane Bhadilum Naane'. Never heard this before. My friend was shocked when I told him that I didn't know about this song. He promptly sent it to me. What superb piano based interludes. Lovely tune. In a loop now.

app_engine
18th May 2011, 09:51 PM
Listening to this gem from 'Kelviyum Naane Bhadilum Naane'. Never heard this before.

To me, that was the best period of IR - the early 80's - lot of energy, enthu, frequent releases, all kinds of movies, decent competition as well (MSV got many hits and big banner movies, S-G had hits regardless of whether they were copied or not, TR's songs heard everwhere, even GA had big hits like vAzhvE mAyam but IR reigned at the top).

And my college days :wink:

skr
18th May 2011, 10:08 PM
It is featured in the film. I bought the DVD of this movie in India only because of Manitha Manitha song without realizing it holds the Vandhaale treasure. BTW, the song is picturized nicely without killing it's mood. It's not lip-synced and comes in the background which is perfect.

Sir,if possible pls try to upload this song in Youtube.Im really curious to see the picturisation of this enchanting hypnotising number.

skr
18th May 2011, 10:14 PM
You guys are damn lucky to have been alive and kicking during the peak of Raja's career..Its wonderful to listen to all your nostalgic stories..
A release almost every 2 weeks..Can there be a better feast than that..??

skr
18th May 2011, 10:19 PM
Right now totally captivated by this awesome number Bulbul Bulbul Myne - Sandhyakku Virinja Poovu
The guitar in this song is simply bril..The 2nd interlude takes you to another planet esp from 2:38 to 2:46 where he travels across 2 octaves - heavenly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCux7PexpZw

Devaraagam
19th May 2011, 01:49 AM
Today accidentally I saw one singer performed in Idea Star Singer for the Song "Om Sivaohm" from Naan Kadavul. She had done excellent job and few weeks back, she had done wonderful performance of some Arabic Song, This program made me to refresh Naan Kadavul songs in my Memory but started to listening in loop........... orchestration is mesmerizing me..

Querida
19th May 2011, 09:54 AM
Am being called back to "Manjal Nila" songs

"Ilamanathil" and "Poonthendral Kaatre vaa" on loop..

"Ilamanathil" such a dreamy uber-romantic song with a flittering flute-playing cupid...

the lyrics work so well with the beat...
The interludes are just an amazing treat!:
the beginning of the first interlude is so mod sounding in contrast to the rest of the song
followed by a sweepingly classic take on the violins
second interlude with guitar is it? the aahing and violin back and forth...enchanting!

"Poonthendral Kaatre Vaa"
so hip sounding at the beginning
with the sax just makes it so classy
sweet...so sugary sweet...
P.Jayachandran's voice just mesmerizes...
Was surprised to notice it is indeed P.Susheela's voice, love her humming towards the ending
The interlude has such a cool folksy element
second interlude has that irresistible jazziness again

Querida
19th May 2011, 10:03 AM
Right now totally captivated by this awesome number Bulbul Bulbul Myne - Sandhyakku Virinja Poovu
The guitar in this song is simply bril..The 2nd interlude takes you to another planet esp from 2:38 to 2:46 where he travels across 2 octaves - heavenly

such a honey-soaked song with tongue-in-cheek teasing quality to the singing (and to Mamooty's expressions) :thumbsup:
nice to see Mamoothy and in coat and suit for a change! 8-)
love the scaling up from 2:00 - 2:05
"Ponnera enangal...pause...mohamaa..ponnera enangal...lalalalalala..."(sorry if way off with spelling) something significant in lyric meaning there perhaps?

Was reading "Krishnbmanagar" 's comment in youtube comments:

"just listen to Sadanandam sir's Phaser effects guitar throughout....enna oru silk touch ya... "theno---- phaser vamp------amritho----phaser vamp---- theno ilaneer amritho ninde gaanam kulir mazha"......Bass guitar and Phaser effects guitar are married to each other in these two lines...some of the most complex notes played by world class musicians...you can't ask for more...hail Ilaiyaraaja..."

He's the same person who uploaded "Vaandhale Allipoo" song to youtube :notworthy:

Sureshs65
19th May 2011, 12:02 PM
skr,

Thanks for 'Bul Bul Maine'. Coincidentally I was talking to a friend yesterday who hadn't heard many of the Malayalam beauties. So I made a list of songs he must hear. Here is the list for Raja fans if they haven't heard his Malayalam numbers. (Doesn't contain 'Olangal' and 'PMPNK' which my friend has heard.)

Here are the songs of Raja that I had mentioned.

1. Alli Illam Poovo: Sung by Krishnachandar. After listening you will
agree he has musical immortality with this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCaJ5RGaVPA

2. Another outstanding song from the same film. You can die just for
the humming in the prelude. Observe how it slowly morphs into Kapi in
the charanams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCCCBp6utD0

3. The Kalyani I was talking about. The director wanted Raja to do
something like 'Vellai Pura'. What bass guitar!! Who else but Raja can
create such a gem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFhM5e_wIjs

4. Who else but Raja can compose such a song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij4cEQhPIHU

5. Another typical Raja song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJpO0FX67zo

6. A morning melody. Which ragam is this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C1Zdh_Ad-8&feature=related

7. One more beauty

8. Bass beauty. My friend claims this is as good as 'thumbi vaa'. Do listen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVyMfS73T5s

9. The beauty of this song almost makes me cry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trjE2xy6lIA&feature=related

10. A Kapi melody where the Kapi seeps in slowly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghFxl6ZipSs

KV
19th May 2011, 12:02 PM
skr, Bulbul Bulbul Myne is a lovely song with some great guitar work. And what interludes, whoa!
(just that every time KJY sings புள் புள் it feels like stepping on a banana peel)

Querida, top-notch pick! Poonthendral kaatre is a sort of mind altering drug to me. Just the prelude of the song is enough to transport me to a different world. Every single instrument, chord and note seems to accentuate the ‘mood’ of the song.

KV
19th May 2011, 12:14 PM
Sureshji, I vehemently protest this injustice! Firstly, all youtube links! And to top that, no song names also! Endho saarey idhu, ingana?

raj_musing
19th May 2011, 12:40 PM
'Bul Bul Maine' song reminds me of another wonderful melody "Boopalam Isaikkum" from Thooral Ninnu pochu. Probably the raaga used is the same in both the songs.
Great compositions which remains evergreen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0mjFqtI2QU&feature=related

Sureshs65
19th May 2011, 01:29 PM
KV,

:) neengal kaetkanum saaru. That's why no names :)

suresh
19th May 2011, 07:27 PM
KV!
Spot on, can't think of a better analogy than banana peel for Yesu ettan's trepidation each time he gets near 'bulbul' in an otherwise smooth flowing rendition.
Sureshs65,
Good choice of Malayalam. I'd have loved to substitute a few, but I know 10 is a restrictive list. The Aalolam (song 6) is set in Malayamarutham.

V_S
19th May 2011, 07:36 PM
(just that every time KJY sings புள் புள் it feels like stepping on a banana peel)
:lol: Beautiful song, exquisite guitar punches, but just that this word takes away some beauty, but somehow I morph this word by imagining to just bulbul.

suresh
19th May 2011, 08:12 PM
'Enna Samayalo' - SPB, Chitra, Sunanda - from Unnal Mudiyum Thambi. I was with a friend listening to Raaja's 'light carnatic classical' songs, and this one is so light, so very carnatic, so very right in everything.
http://thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00686&lang=en

BTW, how many recall Janaki & TVGs "Maarkazhi Maadham" from "Panchami"?

Sureshs65
19th May 2011, 10:19 PM
suresh,

As I said I had just given this list to a friend who had not heard these songs. He has heard lot of others songs like in 'Olangal' which I didn't include.

I remember reading about 'margazhi maadham' but forget where. I probably heard it only once. Must head for it now.

skr
19th May 2011, 11:08 PM
@ssuresh65
Thanks for the lovely selection of Malayalam songs..Havent heard too much of Non Tamil Raja but whatever im listening im liking them..
@suresh
Margazhi Maadham from Panchami is a stunning song..TVG sings his heart out and its such a mesmerising song..It was Rajendra Kumar's special song pick during the 2nd year event of Geethanjali in 2009.

skr
19th May 2011, 11:18 PM
Margazhi Maadham is a must hear and is available on cooltoad (Uploaded by Raj himself)
http://music2.cooltoad.com/music/song.php?id=445978

KV
20th May 2011, 11:21 AM
Suresh, I’m not making this up, but I listened to Margazhi maadham after a long time, only yesterday morning; beautiful song. (In fact, I can’t recall downloading this song! Happened to be present, strange enough, in my Matthiya Chennai folder, along with two other great songs, Ennule Ennule (Valli) and one of Raveendran maash’s Reethigowlai beauty, Pudava njuriyum puzhadhan)
What are the other songs that TVG has sung for IR? (apart from the popular bits in Andhi mazhai, Idhu oru nila kaalam and Ada macham ulla)

rajasaranam
20th May 2011, 01:25 PM
I love Panikaatrin Kulumai from Pajami than Maarkazhi maatham :)

app_engine
20th May 2011, 05:43 PM
Sureshji,
Classic selection of Malayalam songs!

Many thanks!!

PARAMASHIVAN
20th May 2011, 06:10 PM
Listening to 'Thoongath vizhigal rendru' from Agni Natchathiram :notworthy: what a Tune! Only IR possible :clap:

venkkiram
20th May 2011, 07:11 PM
Listening to 'Thoongath vizhigal rendru' from Agni Natchathiram :notworthy: what a Tune! Only IR possible :clap: And What a male voice! Only KJY possible! :)

PARAMASHIVAN
20th May 2011, 07:45 PM
Yes Venkiram Only KJY possible, but PJ also Possible :) SJ should also be credited :yes:

Sureshs65
21st May 2011, 12:16 AM
I am sure not many would expect much from a movie which is titled 'Tarzan Sundari'. But when Raja is the MD you can expect the unexpected. Go to this link http://bit.ly/lxjv94 Download the song and listen to it. What superb use of guitars!!! All the guitar lovers will enjoy this song very much.

And then you can go check this out for some more guitar heaven: http://bit.ly/lSom6V

tvsankar
21st May 2011, 12:33 AM
Thanks for the songs suresh..
komali - tamizh la iruku pola irukae.. dono the film name.. lyric goes like this - Manika silaiyae

Sureshs65
21st May 2011, 03:02 PM
Yes Usha. That movie I think was dubbed in Tamil. It also has another song, 'raave mohini' which was probably more popular in Tamil.

venkkiram
21st May 2011, 06:51 PM
சுரேஷ்.. மலையாளப் பாடல்களுக்கு நன்றி! மலையாளப் பாடல்களுக்கென ஒரு தனித் திரி தொடங்கி அதில் இதுபோன்ற பாடல்களை சேகரிக்க ஆரம்பித்தல் எல்லோருக்கும் உதவும். நன்றி.

thumburu
21st May 2011, 07:11 PM
What a joie de vivre of a song to celebrate a romantic evening !!!
From movie Deepam - poovizhi vaasalil yaaradi vandhadhu kiLiye kiLiye -
kannadasan's poetic spate of creativity starts flowing right from the opening lines.
and the young prince[our Raja] begins with a very joyful violins and flute welcome.
3 magnificent interludes, the first with accordion and flute highlight, the middle one
, my most fav with guitar and solo flute playlng prominent
and the last interlude an absolute riot doled out generously without our asking.
This song has NO MSV influence contrary to what some assume,
but has some mid 70's mallu feel of Devarajan/Salilda . Yesudoss and SJ's "anubhava suhagalai" kind of
enunciation also add to the flavour

Sureshs65
21st May 2011, 11:00 PM
venki,

Should probably do that for Malayalam and Kannada where the number of movies is less. The number of Telugu movies is quite high and for Tamil we anyway have thiraipaadal.

Listening to the 90s Raja today. 'kaiyetha' and 'mandarapoo' from 'Vinodayatra'. Superb.

thumburu: Coincidentally I was listening to another Sivaji - Raja combo: 'sindhu nadhi karaiyoram' today.

venkkiram
23rd May 2011, 03:30 AM
மலர் வில்லில் அம்பொன்று விட்டானே தோழி! அழகான ஒரு பூங்கொத்தை வழங்கியிருக்கிறார் ராஜா! ஷ்ரேயா குரல் பாடலுக்கு பக்க பலம். முடியும் தருவாயில் (கடைசி 45 நொடிகள்) இசைக்கப்பட்ட இசைக்கருவிகளையே வைத்தே மொத்தப் பாட்டையும் வடிவமைத்திருந்தால் அராஜகமா இருந்திருக்கும். அப்படி ஒரு எதிர்பார்ப்பை கடைசி 45 நொடிகள் ஏற்படுத்துகிறது எப்போது இந்தப் பாடலைக் கேட்டாலும். ராஜாவின் முத்திரை!

venkkiram
23rd May 2011, 06:57 AM
சித்திரை மாசத்து பூங்காற்று
முத்திரை போடுது பூ மீது! (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00091&lang=en)

ம.வாசுதேவன் - சித்ரா குரலில் "சின்னக் குயில் பாடுது" (ஆண்டு : 1987 ) படப் பாடல். முதல் இன்டர்லியுட் பாடலுக்கே அணி சேர்க்கிறது. ரொம்ப நாளைக்கு அப்புறம் இந்தப் பாடலைக் கேட்பதில் ஒரு தனி சுகம்.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
24th May 2011, 11:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGumeTekVUg&feature=autoplay&list=ULC1aAOOLAd40&index=2&playnext=1

Playlist of rare gems. This user Suka has a great collection :thumbsup:

Sureshs65
26th May 2011, 04:49 PM
'kaathiruppen kaathiruppen' from 'Sengaathu Bhoomiyile'. Wonderful free flowing melody. Well rendered too.

raghavendran
28th May 2011, 08:41 AM
where can i download IR songs...good quality that is?

Sureshs65
29th May 2011, 12:25 PM
Now listening to 'Deva Malligai Poove Poove'. It is Sunday afternoon and the perfect medicine to get out of the Sunday's inertia.

baroque
29th May 2011, 11:59 PM
ஸ்ரீ.இளையராஜா's சங்கீதம் cds /collections not available at சங்கரா மியூசிக் ஹால் etc ....ஏதோ வழக்கு போட்டு வச்சுருக்காரு....கொஞ்சம் here & there albums கிடைச்சுண்டு இருந்தது. அதுவும் இப்போ போச்சு.

Akashvani சங்கீத் , க்ரியடேஸ்ட் jugalbandies to சலில் சௌத்ரி,khaiyyaam saab, மதன் மோகன்'s collections டு xyz etc... music cds available
but.
"இளையராஜா பாடல்கள்/cds இல்லைங்க... ஏதோ வழக்கு போட்டு வச்சுருக்காரு"

anyway... It is his affair...he knows to take care of it.

anyway mp3 collections like musical harmony -மயில் போல பொண்ணு ஒன்னு, இசைஞானி இளையராஜா தமிழ் பிலிம் ஹிட்ஸ் vol 1 -5 , பூவே செம்பூவே,oh ..வசந்த ராஜா ஏறக்...மாதிரி கெடைக்குது at different audio stores .
வினதா.

Querida
30th May 2011, 03:44 AM
Here is the list for Raja fans if they haven't heard his Malayalam numbers. (Doesn't contain 'Olangal' and 'PMPNK' which my friend has heard.)

Sureshs65 Thank you very much for this list, it's one thing to say Raja's work in Malayalam is exceptional, it's another to allow us to hear that it really is! :ty:

Querida
30th May 2011, 03:45 AM
This lazy sunday is reserved for songs from "Singaravelan"

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00598&lang=en

irir123
30th May 2011, 05:29 AM
For the faint-hearted, it might be advisable to listen to this song with eyes closed tight!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl-a0lI2DEI&NR=1

Acoustic drum delight at the end of the charanam leading to pallavi!

V_S
30th May 2011, 07:53 AM
irir123, Yes that acoustic drum was stunning! Beautiful song, but oh no I watched the video :lol:

V_S
30th May 2011, 08:05 AM
Want to enjoy and immerse in Raja's hard rock classic? Then you cannot miss this one. The rock guitar chords and acoustic drums in the prelude is pretty astonishing. Had a feeling like listening to Deep Purple's 'Smoke on the water'. Raja might have been inspired especially by the guitar from those 70's rock bands. The trumpet in the first interlude is first played in lower octaves and how it peaks up with claps followed by the guitar with phaser effects. Unbelievable! To ever thirsty fans, Maestro gives three charanams and interludes dominated with rock guitar riffs and trumpet. What a song! :notworthy:

Along with this energy if SPB is not there, then this song has not blossomed fully. This is where we miss SPB today. SPB at this best and the voice has matured fully just like the fully blossomed flower. Observe when he sings "NaaLukku Naal, Melukku Mel" at the end of the song and how his voice sounds baritone, immediately after few seconds how he goes to highest octaves and ends there beautifully. That is SPB. :notworthy:
(Could not get good quality of this song, so checkout the youtube video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S3r7yr1WlM

Please check out other songs ('http://www.mediafire.com/?4hq6trhmkdw6k') too, all by Dr SPB, amazing soundtrack. In loop :musicsmile:

Sureshs65
30th May 2011, 08:59 AM
V_S,

Wow. What a lovely, this song is. Raja in those days did a lot of work in this genre. I did a fairly lengthy blog post about the music of the movie 'Yugandhar', where 'naa paruvam' has drumming and interludes in the similar style. What energy by the orchestra. No wonder all the instrumentalists swear by Raja!!! As usual, while deriving from the rock genre, Raja creates his own genre. I mean, we can never mistake this for a rock song. It is Raja rock :)

Never heard this song earlier. Thanks for sharing this.

Sureshs65
30th May 2011, 09:05 AM
Thanks Querida for the kind words.

Raja in Malayalam in the 90s and 2000s was no less melodious. Continuing a conversation with my friend I gave him a list of very selected melodies to listen to. Here is the list. There are many that I have not listed here (like Guru and YathraMozhi) It is a random list.

Lovely short song from Malayalam film, 'Friends'. Based on Kalyani. (Just listen at 'nin raagam sri ragam)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G7Df85dnvI

From the same film, a Jesudas classic (Only one para is here but check out how good it is!!!)

One more song from the same film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCVbr7FqIAk&NR=1

From the film 'Manasinakkare', "melle onnu". A very touching melody.
(An all time favourite song of mine.) (Nayantara looks so nice in this movie. Why did she become like what she is now?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbjJ1HW27tw&feature=related

One more lovely song from the same movie. Excellent rhythm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbhmyfc1zHM&feature=related

Since we were talking about 'ennai enna seyya pogirai', here is another 'Gambeera Naatai' song. Totally different tuning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_vrKBqjo4c&feature=related

My favourite song in recent times. What a lovely melody. From the movie 'Bhagyadevatha'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIaplK4hB3c

And observe how in this song he gets in part of 'Sendhoorapoove's charanam. Genius.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lte_wnjQ9H4&feature=related

From the movie, 'Katha Thudarunnu', this is the first song Hariharan has sung for Raja in Malayalam (Sound quality not very good)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeLmloylBF8

The best song of 'Friends' (Malayalam). This is not available in youtube. But do check here. Can someone do such a melody song using synth? And this is based on Shanmukapriya. No one can even imagine Shanmukapriya like this. Chitra chechi sings this superbly.

http://www.muzigle.com/track/sivamallipoove

Wonderful solo by Chitra: http://www.muzigle.com/track/punnarapoovilum

Kadal Katrin Sujatha version. Superb. : http://www.muzigle.com/track/sivamallipoove#!track/kadalkattil-1

app_engine
30th May 2011, 05:24 PM
Another set of great selections from MFM, Sureshji!

sivamallippoovE is my all-time-fav! This cassette was overused at the time of arrival (and I was in Palakkad then). Why didn't Raja retain this in the Thamizh version of the movie? Mystery :confused:

Compare Friends of M to Friends of T :-(

Sureshs65
30th May 2011, 09:01 PM
True App. Mal 'Friends' was definitely the superior album. Amazing songs.

V_S
31st May 2011, 12:19 AM
V_S,

Wow. What a lovely, this song is. Raja in those days did a lot of work in this genre. I did a fairly lengthy blog post about the music of the movie 'Yugandhar', where 'naa paruvam' has drumming and interludes in the similar style. What energy by the orchestra. No wonder all the instrumentalists swear by Raja!!! As usual, while deriving from the rock genre, Raja creates his own genre. I mean, we can never mistake this for a rock song. It is Raja rock :)

Thanks Suresh ji. Absolutely it is Raja's rock on two thoughts about it. I am reminded of my recent lecture (as always boring lecture) to one of my friend when we talked about Raja's signature in every song. If you are drawing a line, curve or scribble on a plain white paper and give to an artist and he develops that line into a beautiful painting which we never imagined and finishes up with beautiful colors. You will never know where that line which you had originally drawn. If you take recent scenario, you are giving all basic sketches, structure on how a painting should look, only the artist finishes with different colors. Raja belongs to former and most others belong to latter, this is where Raja's signature comes in.

Also can you please point out the link of your post on Yugandar, eager to read.

irir123
31st May 2011, 05:01 AM
one of those dance no from the IR-Kamal combo from one of Kamal's 'slam dunk' masala films of the 1980s!

While Kamal's moves are unintentionally clownish, he still manages to be graceful at places - but what caught my attention was the way he 'play acts' playing the acoustic drums towards the end! listen to the sounds of the drums and i could not see a single place where he hits any of the drums at the wrong time ! timed to perfection!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i2m9WhM_Bs

Sureshs65
31st May 2011, 10:57 AM
V_S,

Here is the link to my post: http://sureshs65music.blogspot.com/2008/10/yugandhar-music-which-passed-me-by.html (You would also like to read the comments)

When I wrote the article, there was no link available for the 'naa paruvam' song. Now some mahanubhava has uploaded it. I give the link, thanks to him
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZJBxW2BeNo
The interludes are just outstanding. And the drummer is enjoying himself hugely.

Plum
31st May 2011, 12:14 PM
Suresh, that is one of your best posts ever and is a relentless pleasure each time I read it - and I must have revisited it atleast 25 times since you wrote it. As the first comment to the post says - "AhA!anubaichu ezhudhi irukkayyA!"

Sureshs65
31st May 2011, 03:57 PM
Thanks Plum. I really loved the songs and I guess that translated into the post being good. In a way I must thank Raja for this :)

KV
31st May 2011, 07:30 PM
V_S, awesome pick there in Vaa Naalukku and good writeup! I havent heard this Thamizh version before; have only heard the Telugu version (‘ee vayasunnadi’ or something like that; cant recall the movie name)
Suresh, Plum – superb discussion on Yugandar songs. With due respect to RDB, Daaste Daageda alone is sufficient to edge out any competition!

Sureshs65
31st May 2011, 11:59 PM
KV,

'Don' was, surprisingly, by Kalyanji Anandji!!!

KV
1st June 2011, 12:48 AM
:oops: I'm an L-board in indhi classics, delved into this section only some months back. Mannikkavum!

V_S
1st June 2011, 06:13 AM
Wow! Suresh ji. Lovely and wonderful post on Yugandar. :clap: Clearly explains how much you love these songs. I am listening to the songs now in loop, especially daaste daageda. Superb composition. Never listened to these songs, except Naa paruvam's tamizh version "Vaalibame Vaa Vaa". Nice analysis and comments by raj. Idula ivvaLo vishayam irukka? Since Daaste Daageda ('http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN5KyuotDq8') is picturized, what is your conclusion?

Enjoyed your hilarious comments on NTR, Jayamalini :lol:

Querida
1st June 2011, 10:03 AM
For the faint-hearted, it might be advisable to listen to this song with eyes closed tight!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl-a0lI2DEI&NR=1

Acoustic drum delight at the end of the charanam leading to pallavi!

your reverse psychology worked just right...watched the video :S
second interlude is wow..an explosion of guitar, violin, humming, beats...

Querida
1st June 2011, 10:13 AM
Word of Caution for irir123, seeing your aversion to the earlier vid,
this too features the dance antics of Chiru and Suha

but so very pleasing and easy on the ears!

Karigi Poyanu from "Marana Mrudangam"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I7gOo8iwBg&feature=related

Querida
1st June 2011, 10:44 AM
Sureshs65 Thank you for your second list of malayalam songs will listen to them soon, :D
the previous list was so full of (new) faves, Malayalam songs take melodious songs to yet another level...

There's much to still enjoy, am looking forward to reading your blog entry and listening to the songs it pertains to,

but against my better judgment I couldn't resist not listening to the song posted by V_S...and now I don't know where my sleep has gone...just immesely enjoying this gem on loop, "Vaa Naalukku Naal" is such a powerhouse performance by SPB...love that bass...love the little quiver he does towards the ending when singing the chorus...what a pure jam session...love it!! :ty: V_S :ty:

Plum
1st June 2011, 12:15 PM
Chiru-Suhasini received a whole lot of goodies from IR. I can easily count karigi pOyAnu, mooga veenai, maLLi maLLi and ofcourse the Forumhub-famous(thanks to Joe ;-) ) Rain song from Challenge. And many more which I cant recall instantly.

Mid-to-Late 80s I think Chiru got better stuff than Rajini from IR.

V_S
1st June 2011, 07:53 PM
Thank you Querida. Yes it is an explosive song with abundant bass. I am still desperately looking for the telugu version 'ee vayasunnadi’ which KV pointed out. I could not find in youtube. Any links to hear the telugu version of Vaa NaaLukku Naal? and what film is that from?

Sureshs65
1st June 2011, 10:02 PM
Plum,

Yes Chiru did receive some fantabulous music from Raja. I will agree with you that Chiru probably got marginally better music than Rajni. The surprising thing is that the MDs of the North were never able to give such music for their action heros, especially Amitabh. If you notice the music of Amitabh's films, oh wait, did I say music and Amitabh's films in the same line? Even the great RDB could not give great music for any of the Amitabh's action films. Whereas Raja just freaked out for Chiru and Rajni. The amount of experimentation he has done for Rajni is phenomenal !! A part of it is due to Raja's personality and part of the credit must go to Rajni for not interfering in whatever Raja did!!!

Sureshs65
1st June 2011, 10:03 PM
Querida,

You are more than welcome for the list. Nothing gives me more joy than spreading Raja's Malayalam music around :) Because I have grown up with Raja's Telugu works I always think everyone knows it. So I rarely point to Telugu songs!!

irir123
1st June 2011, 11:12 PM
Plum,

Yes Chiru did receive some fantabulous music from Raja. I will agree with you that Chiru probably got marginally better music than Rajni. The surprising thing is that the MDs of the North were never able to give such music for their action heros, especially Amitabh. If you notice the music of Amitabh's films, oh wait, did I say music and Amitabh's films in the same line? Even the great RDB could not give great music for any of the Amitabh's action films. Whereas Raja just freaked out for Chiru and Rajni. The amount of experimentation he has done for Rajni is phenomenal !! A part of it is due to Raja's personality and part of the credit must go to Rajni for not interfering in whatever Raja did!!!

IR enriched the careers of both Chiru and Rajini and they cant deny it either!

wonder why Rajini chose Deva over IR from the times of Annamalai ??

app_engine
1st June 2011, 11:37 PM

To be fair to Rajini, he tried to rope in IR on later occasions but "others" prevented it from happening, even IR taking up that "others" role at times...(Annamali was a KB production ; after PPA, it was obvious that IR could not be part of any KB ventures. Rajini did have IR for ejamAn & veerA, in the case of ejamAn thanks to RVU, even though AVM vigorously worked against IR for a while...veerA was a Panju production and Rajini didn't have any issue...his vaLLi had IR :roll: )

venkkiram
1st June 2011, 11:40 PM

How about Kamal? IMO யாருமே தன்னால்தான் இன்னொருவரின் சினிமா வாழ்க்கை ஏற்றம் பெற்றது என அறுதியிட்டு சொல்லமுடியாது. ராஜாவால் ரஜினி கமல் சிரஞ்சீவி புகழ் அடைந்தார்கள் என்றால், இவர்கள் படங்களில் தொடர்ந்து பணி புரிந்ததால் ராஜாவும் ஏற்றம் பெற்றார் என்பது நாணயத்தின் இன்னொரு பக்கம்.

app_engine
1st June 2011, 11:45 PM
Looked at the web for Rajini movie chronology (after Annamalai - 1992)...

uzhaippALi - 1993
ejaman - 1993
vaLLi (written by Rajini, did he produce also?) - 1993
veerA - 1994

app_engine
1st June 2011, 11:50 PM
இவர்கள் படங்களில் தொடர்ந்து பணி புரிந்த்ததால் ராஜாவும் ஏற்றம் பெற்றார் என்பது நாணயத்தின் இன்னொரு பக்கம்.

Not acceptable - had he focussed otherwise - i.e. away from cinema music, he could have attained greater heights IMSO!

Minimum 10 symphony vanthirukkaNum...vada pOchchE :-(
(That he hailed from TN and all these "liberalisation" happened after his peak creativity is another reason)

app_engine
2nd June 2011, 12:06 AM
After listening to a number of IR wonders, if one looks at their corresponding youtubes, the softest comment could be "விழலுக்கு இறைத்த நீர்"...a more apt / blunt comment - considering the sheer musical ideas and their horrible end use - should be "குரங்குகள் கைகளில் கொடுக்கப்பட்ட மாலைகள்" in 100's of cases!

இந்த லட்சணத்தில் எங்கிருந்து ராசா "ஏற்றம்" பெறுவது? ஒரு உன்னத சிற்பியை வைத்து அம்மி குத்தல் நடத்தி இருக்கிறார்கள்!

tvsankar
2nd June 2011, 12:08 AM
venkiram,
Ilaiyaraja - Kamal kum Rajini kum matum music pannavillai.
Ramarajan, Sathyaraj, prabhu, karthick, Rajkiran, Murali - Ivargaluku ellam - Isaiyal Thani adaiyalam yerpaduthiya perumai Rajaku matumae...

adhanal - Raja ku yendru - oru Thani thanmaiyum Yetramum irundhu irukiradhu enbadhai unara vendum........

idhu Tamil padathirku matum solvadhu.. Inum - matra mozhi padangal.... Heros endru solla vendum............

app_engine
2nd June 2011, 12:13 AM
Small example - the song I've listened on repeat mode during commute this morning 'பொத்தி வச்ச மல்லிக மொட்டு'. At the minimum, one has to use the adjective "wonderful" to describe the musical quality of this number.

On screen? :lol:

Corresponding remuneration / fame etc? :-(

The metro Detroit local FM radio's repeatedly play hit songs that I'm forced to listen often (due to my son on car) where the artists would have made millions with hardly anything novel...if those fellows lay their hand on this number, they'll end up making at least 10 of their next hit numbers merely using portions of this number...

tvsankar
2nd June 2011, 12:13 AM
List il Vijaykanth ai marandhu vitten. Ivaraiyum serthu kollavum....

endha adaiyalamum illamal cinema virku vandha - indha Heros ku ellam - oru Isai Adaiyalam
seidhu kodutha oru Isai Thalaivan indha Ilaiyaraja.. Thannai kaati kollamal,

paatai kaetalae - nammal feel panna mudiyum.. padam parkamal.. - idhu Vijaykanth padam, idhu Prabhu padam endru.,................

baroque
2nd June 2011, 04:26 AM
Not acceptable - had he focussed otherwise - i.e. away from cinema music, he could have attained greater heights IMSO!

Minimum 10 symphony vanthirukkaNum...vada pOchchE :-(
(That he hailed from TN and all these "liberalisation" happened after his peak creativity is another reason)

seri ... இளையராஜா during 80s பண்ணலை.
இப்போ பண்ண வேண்டியது தானே Shri.இளையராஜா?
Who is stopping him now?
ஸ்ரீ.இளையராஜா outside சினிமா/private albums , works பண்ணறதும் பண்ணாததும் அவரோட முடிவுகள்.

விக்ரம் is an extraordinary work from Ilayaraaja.

சிப்பிக்குள் ஒரு முத்து வளர்ந்தது....... ஜானு & யேசுதாஸ் டூயட்...விக்ரம்.

Vinatha.

Querida
2nd June 2011, 09:36 AM
சித்திரை மாசத்து பூங்காற்று
முத்திரை போடுது பூ மீது! (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00091&lang=en)

ம.வாசுதேவன் - சித்ரா குரலில் "சின்னக் குயில் பாடுது" (ஆண்டு : 1987 ) படப் பாடல். முதல் இன்டர்லியுட் பாடலுக்கே அணி சேர்க்கிறது. ரொம்ப நாளைக்கு அப்புறம் இந்தப் பாடலைக் கேட்பதில் ஒரு தனி சுகம்.

Just heard the songs from this album...it was nice to heard MV's voice but what brought tears to my eyes was Chitra's "Unnai Naane"...a long lost song from childhood, I distinctly remember humming along to this song and feeling deeply moved...but have totally forgotten about it...what a very pleasant and touching surprise indeed!

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs=%27SNGIRR0494%27&lang=en

Querida
2nd June 2011, 10:58 AM
Compare Friends of M to Friends of T :-(

Same way I felt...what a cavernous difference... :shock:
Panchami Thingal and Kadal Kaatin Nenjil are just wow...still cannot believe why these were not just reused actually...

Sureshs65,

Mella Onnu is indeed a real treasure
Bhagayadevatha is such a overload of pure melody...I'm just speechless...
swapnangal kannezhithya has such an airy care-free beauty to it...there's so much more but I can't do justice to it in words...
allipoove mallipoove...again just bowled over...little places here and there do remind me of sendhoora poove...my amazement and admiration for the Maestro continues to multiply...may it never stop...

so many times before I've just heard songs that are remade in Malayalam so I felt I wasn't missing much after hearing it Tamil...thank you so much for proving me wrong :ty:

AravindMano
2nd June 2011, 06:15 PM
swapnangal kannezhithya has such an airy care-free beauty to it...there's so much more but I can't do justice to it in words..

:yes:

Happy Happy Birthday to the Man :notworthy:

Sureshs65
2nd June 2011, 09:04 PM
Qerida,

Some of the Malayalam songs bring a tear to my eyes just by their sheer beauty, especially songs like 'Swasathin Thalam', 'swapnangal', 'thamarakili paadunnu' and the songs of 'Poomukhapadiyile Ninneyum Kaathu'. (BTW, have you heard the two songs of PMPNK? If not do hear. Here are the links:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpaBdS1--1I (Konji Karayalle. Amazing, amazing melody)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHhpsz-YVTQ&feature=related (Poonkathinodum)

Beware: Picturization is at 'Ninaivellam Nithya' level!!! )

app_engine
2nd June 2011, 09:15 PM
Beware: Picturization

:lol2:

This has been kind of a given in IR forums for more than a decade.

Just to contrast such, we ran a thread called "appreciating good picturisation of great songs" with a lot of contribution from Usha chEchi, saradha_sn & R Balaji for months. (In the earlier avatar of hub it ran to 100 pages before disappearing all of a sudden - and it couldn't be recovered...I had the privilege of starting that thread with 'kuzhaloodhum kaNNanukku').

thumburu
2nd June 2011, 09:44 PM
The prelude glides me along the galaxy of the milky"moon"way
with all those string ensemble and the celestial sounding bells -
"nila kayum neram saranam" .
Even with ugly age rearing its head now and then, Janaki does a splendid job.
Her sangadhi when she sings
"minnal neidha selai meni meedhu aada" is noteworthy

"kangaL moodi naan thoonga thingaL vandhu thaalaattum
kaalai neramAnAle gangai vandhu neerAttum" simple yet poetic lines to
enhance the appeal.
Tabla and guitar punch in unison creating a nice rythm throughout and
what a great tune flow during the charanams!!!

baroque
3rd June 2011, 12:38 AM
I have no idea about the picturization or situation of this composition.
I don't need the visual to enjoy this composition's குஷி, ஜாலி,fun mood , இளையராஜா induces with பாலா.
But thanks to Urudhimozhi director for this nice situation for இளையராஜா to entertain us.
http://www.raaga.com/player4/?id=266413&mode=100&rand=0.7914042919328903
vinatha.

skr
3rd June 2011, 08:50 AM
V_S
Thanks a million for Vaa Naalukku song..Wat an unbelievable song..totally gaga about it..fully in loop
Ideal song to celebrate the genius of SPB and IR who were born 2 days apart..

Querida
3rd June 2011, 09:15 AM
V_S
Thanks a million for Vaa Naalukku song..Wat an unbelievable song..totally gaga about it..fully in loop
Ideal song to celebrate the genius of SPB and IR who were born 2 days apart..

:yes::exactly: Couldn't have said it better!

baroque
3rd June 2011, 09:36 AM
காற்றே செல்லு ஒரு காதல் தூது.....வாணி & வாசு.
கிளாச்சிக் 80s இளையராஜா beauty .. lilting tune ,bells ,வயோலின், ப்ளுட் , singers 's ஹம்மிங்.
everybody deserves the vintage wine,
vinatha.

rajkumarc
3rd June 2011, 10:50 AM
Some of the Malayalam songs bring a tear to my eyes just by their sheer beauty, especially songs like 'Swasathin Thalam', 'swapnangal', 'thamarakili paadunnu' and the songs of 'Poomukhapadiyile Ninneyum Kaathu'.
Poonkaathinodum from PMNK is such a beautiful song, it cast a spell around me and I had it in loop for a long time. I think it's the tune, KJY's rendition and most of all the mood portrayed in the song. IR's Malayalam songs, even though a late discovery for me, somehow stay very close to the heart. This is with me not understanding one bit of the meaning that the lyrics convey. Thanks Suresh for the links to the Malayalam songs that you sent earlier.

skr
3rd June 2011, 11:11 AM
Suresh,
Gr8 stuff with all the Malayalam Links..You are the Expert when it comes to Malayalam Compositions of IR :)

V_S
3rd June 2011, 09:41 PM
You are most welcome skr. Please also listen to other songs as well in the film with the links provided. All songs by SPB (duets) are truly amazing.

Sureshs65
3rd June 2011, 09:46 PM
Thanks rajkumar and skr. Rajkumar has shared my feelings though I must say that I have started understanding the Malayalam language a bit after listening to all the Raja songs :)

skr: I am no way an expert on Malayalam songs. There are others here like Sagar (who doesn't post much nowadays) and raj_musing who are experts in the Malayalam field.

raj_musing
3rd June 2011, 10:45 PM
Hi Suresh,

Iam not an expert in anything .Naan nalla isaivei eppothum rasipien...avalo thaan. :) :)
All Wonderful songs suresh,but I feel songs of "Yathra", "My dear Kuttichatan" and "Atharvam" are also true gems from the 80's."Poovayi virinju" from Atharvam which has shades of Keeravani is possible only for a composer like him!(Not to forget the comment made by MGS in Hridayaragangulude raja link) Also another song which is my personal favourite from his malayalam list is "Vaalittezhuthiya" from Onnanu nammal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnMYgghEzcc

app_engine
3rd June 2011, 11:13 PM
This is with me not understanding one bit of the meaning that the lyrics convey

You're too modest, sir!

Isn't Malayalam around 50% Thamizh & 50% Sanskrit? So, you understand at least 50% already :-)

In addition, many Sanskrit words used in Malayalam are also in common use in TN (vasthram for cloth - kAdhi vasthrAlayA..., sthree for woman and such maNipravALa nadai literature is still being read by many in TN, e.g. some famous novels). Take your name / ID - raj-royal kumar-son, both are Sanskrit / Malayalam already...

However, I agree with you on one count - exactly understanding poem is a different ballgame than getting the meaning of words here and there...and Malayalam songs are quite literary often...well, I don't properly understand even some Thamizh songs :wink:

app_engine
3rd June 2011, 11:20 PM
One song that is on repeat for the last few days on my car where I find "properly understanding" the lyrics a big problem:

poththi vachcha malliga mottu :oops:

Can someone explain what is conveyed by "பேசிப்பேசி ராசியானதே" in the context of a girl's age attending?

Sureshs65
3rd June 2011, 11:22 PM
Currently listening to the wonderful 'madhu malargale' from the movie 'Magane Magane'. Wonderful song. Read about the song and listen to it at Raj's blog here: http://ragamanjari.blogspot.com/2011/06/let-new-flowers-bloom.html

Sureshs65
3rd June 2011, 11:43 PM
app_eng,

You are a poet yourself. If you can't understand, mere mortals like us have no chance :D

app_engine
4th June 2011, 12:22 AM
Sureshji,
nalla kAl vARal :-)

After a little bit of hair pichchifying, I've concluded yesterday that this was another anthi mazhai :wink:

In village lingo, 'rAsi Adhal' = peace agreement. When there's some existing enmity, by continuous talks, peace accord can be reached. The song line's literal meaning is that - we were enemies before, talking-talking, we're now at peace. The trouble is, I can't connect it to the prior lines or the line after or the movie situation - pothi vachcha malliga mottu, pooththiruchchu vekkaththa vittu...PPRA...mAman pEra cholli cholli ALAnathE - the others are all about a girl coming of age, which was the situation I think in the movie. How suddenly the girl becomes shy with her muRai mAman etc.

I don't remember if there are any enmity between families or any kind of reconciliation between them by this louvvu. Possibly BR had narrated that kind of situation and VM tried to include some family fight background in the lines. Later no such situation but the lines stayed possibly. The end product, as we see today, has this phrase without context IMO.

app_engine
4th June 2011, 12:27 AM
BTW, the way SJ sings the words 'malliga' & 'vekkaththa' - especially the inclination in the last syllable is delicious! And so are the laughters that SPB throws here and there (e.g. the pallavi between saraNams with clap background)

rajkumarc
4th June 2011, 12:44 AM
App - I totally get your point. I do understand meaning of some words in Malayalam probably because it's used in Tamil. But it doesn't help in understanding even a line completely, forget about the poem then. Anyway, the more I listen to these Malayalam songs, I do learn meanings for some new words. Personally, lyrics never prevent me from enjoying the beauty of a song and in my case lyrics get the last priority when I enjoy a song. I think that's why I'm enjoying IR's songs in all non-Tamil languages.

But there are some songs which are so beautiful/powerful that I would love to know the meaning conveyed by the lyrics. This is not the complete list but just something from top of my mind:
Pallavi Anupallavi - Nagu Enthithe, Naguva Nayana
Janma Janma Anubandha - Thangaliyalli
All songs from Olangal
Onnaanu Nammal - Kalkandam Chundil

skr
4th June 2011, 04:32 PM
SPB totally in his elements in this song Yava Shilpi, amazing ludes, gem of a song..
Wonderful usage of Guitar,Sax,flutes and violins ..Ilaya SPB in full form as he goes Pa Pa Pa Pa Papa
Wish SPB a very Happy B'day..Your energy is simply unmatchable.Like this song You always Roccckkkkkkk !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBCzz4ok_as

P.S : Picturisation Ignore :)

Plum
5th June 2011, 03:35 PM
And another recycle discovery
http://thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00066&lang=en

KuthiraiyilE naan here was later recycled as solai ilangiliye in an Arjun movie. As usual ina completely different situation with a completely different mood

V_S
6th June 2011, 03:49 AM
That's a great find Plum!.:thumbsup: It's unbelievable how he transformed the same tune into a totally contrasting setting. I have not seen the picturization and situation, but it seems the first one is more shot in the indoor with subdued mood with the flute, veena interludes reflecting it, while the second one seems to be a outdoor folk happy duet and even a dreamy?? song. Just the singers and the interlude exchanges does the trick, Wow! quite amazing!

skr
6th June 2011, 10:37 PM
Recently heard this BGM piece from Sankeerthana and was completely hypnotised..So ephemeral yet so everlasting..Kept repeating it over and over again..
A friend of mine had made a lovely comment hearing the piece "Guitar is created since a Maverick named Ilaiyaraaja is destined to rule it"
Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynNFVRlP0O4

baroque
6th June 2011, 11:28 PM
beautiful....
I woke up to guitar Ilayaraaja too this morning ,

soft, enticing guitar prelude and guitar-flute counterpoint interlude of azhagey malarey aaradhanai seigiren......very relaxing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugNMhNQZYME

Vinatha.

KV
8th June 2011, 12:31 PM
skr, thanks for sharing that BGM piece, extremely beautiful! Etthanai kodi inbam vaithai, rasiah!
Baroque, Azhage unnai could rank among the best short songs of IR, no?
Here's another lovely guitar based composition I'm enjoying at the moment - Nilave nee varavendum (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00132&lang=en)(from En Arugil Neeirunthaal). Another of those songs where its difficult to get past the prelude without repeating it several times!

baroque
8th June 2011, 08:20 PM
nice...
vinatha.

PARAMASHIVAN
8th June 2011, 09:39 PM
wow ONLY "IR" possible in such composition :notworthy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pY8WyzuCXr0

PARAMASHIVAN
8th June 2011, 09:53 PM
Another Super Melody, this time it is my PS amma :notworthy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM2mrMrFzw4&feature=player_detailpage

skr
8th June 2011, 10:18 PM
Thanks KV for Nilave nee varavendum ..a total killer of a prelude..

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
10th June 2011, 01:32 PM
நேற்று வந்த காற்று (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y3dy7kPI2U) - கண்மணி என்ற பிரசாந்த படத்திலிருந்து. I guess this is a rare song, re-used in some hindhi movie by karthik raja.

Plum
10th June 2011, 03:53 PM
Yes SKV - this was KR's composition in Kanmani which he rightfully re-used in Grahan as Aaj mein khush hoon

Shank
10th June 2011, 05:32 PM
What a pleasing song....it's got some nice surprises too. Deven Thiruchabai from Avar Enakke Sontham

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00066

Sureshs65
10th June 2011, 10:55 PM
Listening to this lovely song, courtesy a tweet of our hubber equanimus: http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0418'&lang=en

app_engine
10th June 2011, 11:22 PM
Listening to this lovely song, courtesy a tweet of our hubber equanimus: http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0418'&lang=en

I watched the youtube of this song sometime back, thoroughly enjoyable (depending upon whether you're HonestRaj or not, the enjoyment comes from different POVs :wink: )

rajkumarc
11th June 2011, 01:08 AM
Punnagayil Minsaram - Super song Suresh. Love the synth/electronic instrument usage in this song and the racy tune.

App - The visuals looked quite trendy, I have never seen a VK song that's as modern/stylish as this one. I watched Barathan in the theatre and used to be a fan of VK's stunt scenes in those days (especially the one where he indirectly hits the bad guys by climbing on anything that's nearby & accessible and doing that stylish kick :smile: )

app_engine
11th June 2011, 01:55 AM
'thEdi vandha dEvathaiyE' of ponnaru-sankaru during commute this AM :wink:

Though Shreya sounds a lot more comfortable than KSC of 'siva rAththiree', none of these can match SJ in this genre - these are real sumall babies and are light years behind the queen. GanjAwAlA, however, is a good find! He should sing a lot more in TFM and pack off a dozen mediocre boys.

Vkrish
11th June 2011, 03:50 PM
Shank.. Deven Thiruchabai is my all time favorite with lot of twists in the tune..it looks like there is no connection b/w the interlude & the saranam & the pallavi..
but that itself adds beauty to the song..amd must definitely be Raja's experimentation..well...way way ahead of it times....
Lovely guiter...heard that the notes are played by Raja himself...

Check out for the below recent Ragamalika program held at NGS..from time 5.30...for this song & enjoy :-)

http://tamilo.com/2011Tamil%20TVShow/Super%20Singer/06/RaagamaligaJun06.html

Sureshs65
11th June 2011, 08:46 PM
I tweeted about this song today morning: இவரை போல் வேறு எவராவது இசையில் ஒரு இளவேனிற் காலத்தை கொண்டு வந்தால் நாங்கள் ஏன் இவரை கட்டிக்கிகொண்டு அழுகிறோம்: http://t.co/5FK4i7Y

(To those who cannot read Tamil, a rough translation: If only some music director can bring to life a particular season through his music, why will be keep talking about this man?!!)

Sunil_M88
11th June 2011, 09:08 PM
Anjali Anjali from Anjali (1990) The first Tamil film I ever saw.

Mischievous and playful kids (Karthik Raja, Yuvan Shankar Raja, Bhavatharini, Venkat Prabhu, Premji Amaran, Parthi Bhaskar, Hari Bhaskar) never cease in providing entertainment.

ajithfederer
11th June 2011, 09:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfV_cm9StgE&feature=related

Quite an obscure number among listeners.

jaiganes
12th June 2011, 12:02 AM
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3112'&lang=en

Was browsing the sriranjani raaga collection of Raaja songs in thiraippaadal and came across this one...
First time I am hearing this song from Ramana (vijayakanth movie). This song was not in the movie.. Was this song added to any other movie?
Awesome song.. very sweet and melodious.. has a few Karthikraaja touches here and there.. but very very sweet song..

AravindMano
12th June 2011, 03:46 AM
jaiganes - this was not used in any film. (ennadhu indha pAtta kEttadhillaiyA :shock: )

Querida
12th June 2011, 09:20 AM
Enjoying the upbeat songs from "Ninaika Therintha Manamae" what a lucky duck Mohan was...KJ just rules in this album..a change from SPB giving Mohan his hits...

Kannukkum Kannukkum Mothal still remains my favourite...simple, minimalistic, and KJY's voice allowed to shine, his voice is just so deep and mesmerizing...

Chitra's "Illamai Radhathil" very sweet and peppy

First time hearing "Chinna Chinna Muthu Neerile" actually

"Engegum Nee Sendru pothu" soft, melodic, what instrument is used in the interlude along with flute? Prefer the KJ solo though.

Oddly know most of these songs alone, but didn't know they all came from the same album :confused2:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00428&lang=en

venkkiram
12th June 2011, 09:36 AM
முத்தம்மா முத்து முத்து முத்தாளம்மா (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00641&lang=en) - "தந்துவிட்டேன் என்னை"

குறைந்த ஆபரணங்கள் இருந்தாலும் சில பெண்கள் எளிமையாக, எழிலாக தோன்றுவது போல... சுசிலா - அருண்மொழி கூட்டணியில் ...தபேலாவின் தாலாட்டில்.. மனதை மயக்கும் பாடல்.

V_S
12th June 2011, 08:21 PM
Vaanathule velli ratham athu veethiyile vanthathenna. Beautiful and refreshing melody on a dull morning! Enga ooru maappillai came in the same year as Karagaattakaaran. Another IR number En Kaaviriye is again an absolute blinder of a song!

Nerd
13th June 2011, 12:40 AM
முத்தம்மா முத்து முத்து முத்தாளம்மா (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00641&lang=en) - "தந்துவிட்டேன் என்னை"

குறைந்த ஆபரணங்கள் இருந்தாலும் சில பெண்கள் எளிமையாக, எழிலாக தோன்றுவது போல... சுசிலா - அருண்மொழி கூட்டணியில் ...தபேலாவின் தாலாட்டில்.. மனதை மயக்கும் பாடல்.
Nice song. But its by Uma R.

Plum
13th June 2011, 09:18 PM
http://thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00738&lang=en

Gaanam Then kARROdu - thirappadal marks as unknown movie. An absolute undiscovered gem in the true sense for me. Contemplative Eera vizhi kaviyam type. Only less emotion than en gaanam endru arangerum. Absolute delight. Going bonkers over it. Rarely do I discover new IR Songs that I absolutely adore - maening I fairly have covered his output across languages. After a long time I find one irresistible knock out punch from undiscovered IR. He should probably have done more in this genre. For another MD, one genre would be a lifetime work.

Sureshs65
13th June 2011, 09:59 PM
Nice find Plum. Lovely song. Let's see if someone knows the movie name.

Sureshs65
13th June 2011, 10:03 PM
Plum,

Our hubber 'eagle' replied on twitter that this is from the movie, 'kannukkoru vannakkili'.

venkkiram
13th June 2011, 10:05 PM
Nice song. But its by Uma R.

Oops. சில நேரங்களில், சுயபுத்தி இல்லாம இணையத் தளங்கள் சொல்லும் செய்திகளையே நம்பி விடுகிறேன். திரைப்பாடல்.காம் சுசிலா என்றே சொல்லுகிறது.

Sureshs65
13th June 2011, 10:06 PM
Surprised why thiraipaadal says the movie is unknown. In the same site you have it under 'Kannukkoru Vannakkili' as well !!!

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00273&lang=en

jaiganes
13th June 2011, 10:14 PM
http://rakkamma.com/filmsongdetails.phtml?filmid=22&songid=65
http://tfmpage.com/forum/archives/17154.16963.21.38.50.html
nice song - If you can tolerate Raaja's voice (Which I absolutely love), then this song is an absolute delight.
The strings counterpointing with the voice provide a surreal feel .. awesome..

tvsankar
13th June 2011, 10:17 PM
Jaiganes,
oru dobut.. endha thread nu therila.. Karthick shobhana - telugu song..

enna ragam.. Hamsadwani nu solreengala............
enga time 3 a m ku parthen.. endha thread nu nyabgam ilai enaku..........

jaiganes
13th June 2011, 10:25 PM
Jaiganes,
oru dobut.. endha thread nu therila.. Karthick shobhana - telugu song..

enna ragam.. Hamsadwani nu solreengala............
enga time 3 a m ku parthen.. endha thread nu nyabgam ilai enaku..........

I had posted it under Gems of Raja under different genres..
Reposting it here..
Hamsadwani from Raaja is always special. It is one of the raagas for which Raaja has a a soft corner.. very evident from this classic..
only spoiler is picturisation always.. If ever we begin a Raaja-SPB thread for telugu songs - this one needs to be there...
Whenever the hamsadwani raaga comes to Raaja, he welcomes it with a fleet of cellos and violins and flute invariably.
Takes my breath away..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwSGaj3IDB0&feature=related

I felt it as hamsadwani. vishayam therinjavanga correct pannunga.. on second thoughts - hindolam sounds right to me..
I get the same feel as listening to the Composer's breath piece from nothing but wind.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1358309516183465724#

tvsankar
13th June 2011, 10:30 PM
Thank u Jai....... enakum doubt. adhan kaetka vandhen..

Hindolam a than enaku kaekaradhu...........

Bala (Karthik)
14th June 2011, 12:08 AM
Ich Liebe Dich - Pudhu Paattu

AravindMano
14th June 2011, 09:15 AM
Good rendition of OhO Megam vandhadhO. ('https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=S6w8xGHGDsw'). A comment in another rendition by the same pair reads, 'Look how Ilayaraja's tunes dance on the piano'. So true.

Plum
14th June 2011, 09:55 AM
Suresh and Jai, thanks for the thol poruL ArAichi.
In Jai's link, Rex and co are placing KVK as another EVK however I find only this song of the same calibre. Tobe precise, this song sounds like it was com%osed in the EVK period while unnai naan paarkaiyil etc sound like the Ramarajan-Mano period. I feel the backstory ofthis album will be quite interesting..m

rajkumarc
14th June 2011, 11:58 AM
Gaanam Then Kaatrodu - what a mesmerizing song and I love IR's rendition. Thanks to Plum for this rare number and Jai for providing more details about this movie. Listening to the other songs in this movie.

KV
14th June 2011, 12:01 PM
Pardon me if I'm being a spoilsport here.
There are certain works of this man that are standalone entities; unparalleled and unchallenged by any other albums, even his own, let alone other MDs.
EVK is one such album that, to me, reflects a kind of meditational state of mind, a state of absolute tranquility, when it was composed. The simplicity and elegance of each tune and the level of orchestration is, I think, possible only when the deepest understanding of music unites with the quest for the inner self.
Guru, Moondrampirai, Agni Natchathiram, Thiruvasagam, IR classical with Mandonlin Srinivas, collection of songs from his Ramana Maharishi albums, are some of the other works that command a holy grail status in the respective genres; the brighter stars in the star sprinkled sky. Of course, this is just my opinion.

Sureshs65
14th June 2011, 12:46 PM
Ich Liebe Dich - Pudhu Paattu

Only very recently on a drive to Chennai did I hear all the songs of 'Pudhu Paatu'. Superb album. I guess it was 'pasunesan' movie. Lucky flow.

Sunil_M88
14th June 2011, 06:43 PM
Naan Porathu (http://thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1816'&lang=en) from Maaya Bazaar (1995) - Raaja sir's first a capella

AravindMano
14th June 2011, 11:01 PM
iLavEniRkkaala panjami / avaL vaanil vandha pourNami - manam virumbudhE unnai :musicsmile:

AravindMano
14th June 2011, 11:18 PM
galagalakkum maNiyOsai / salasalakkum kuyilOsai - eeraamana rOjAvE. Whatay charming! Ageing Janaki easily overshadows ever-bland Mano.

Post-lunch office boredom can only be well spent with His songs.

AravindMano
14th June 2011, 11:49 PM
kasthUri mAnE / kalyAnath thEnE - pudhumaip peN. Wasted on both the singers, why are they azhudhu vidinjufying! Esp Uma Ramanan. Bah.

Sureshs65
15th June 2011, 07:48 PM
galagalakkum maNiyOsai / salasalakkum kuyilOsai. Whatay a charming! Ageing Janaki easily overshadows ever-bland Mano.

Post-lunch office boredom can only be well spent with His songs.

What courage to call yourself bland :lol: BTW, can you put up the film names when you put up the songs. As usual there are still quite a lot of 'well known' songs which are not known to me :( Will give me a chance to listen to them!!

AravindMano
15th June 2011, 07:58 PM
Sureshji - :P

Added the film names, will do here after.

Sureshs65
15th June 2011, 08:04 PM
Thanks AM.

app_engine
16th June 2011, 09:03 PM
'thendRal vanthu ennaiththodum' on youtube :-)

Combination of an actress who feels it's sufficient to come in different costumes and don't show any expressions + an actor who strongly feels there has to be a lot of konashtais on face to be called an actor :lol:

PARAMASHIVAN
16th June 2011, 09:08 PM
Whatay charming! Ageing Janaki easily overshadows ever-bland Mano.

You are needed in the Mano thread in Current Topics sections :lol2:

PARAMASHIVAN
16th June 2011, 09:10 PM
'thendRal vanthu ennaiththodum' on youtube :-)

மிகவும் அருமையான பாடல் ! Love it to the core ! IR+KJY+SJ :notworthy:

V_S
17th June 2011, 09:04 AM
Aala Asathum - Kanni Raasi (1985). Bass guitar all the way! I think Chalanaatai raagam is equivalent to glucose IV. Will get direct energy boost!

The chord progression during the charanam last line 'maaman irukka innamum ennadi sangadam hehe ippave solladi sammatham' is fabulous and enough for me. Whether Maestro first constructed chords for this line or first composed this line and formed chords, either way it's perfect. Added to this trumpet and high violins steal the show.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00270&lang=en
How many different bass lines he has in store for us?

AravindMano
17th June 2011, 09:57 AM
Paramasivan - pAththEn. But anga pOyi edhum paNNa mudiyAdhE. adhanAla extra-va ingayE appappO Mano-va thitti vaippOm.

tvsankar
17th June 2011, 05:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l37s2R_pkQ

ellorum solvadhu pola - idhu dhan first time. kaekaren. indha GEM ai...

Mesmerising Beats. tats all...........

Sunil_M88
17th June 2011, 05:59 PM
Sangeetha megam from Uthaya geetham on loop :musicsmile:

app_engine
17th June 2011, 06:08 PM
mamEn machchAn - after a long time.
(funnily, watching it briefly on youtube made the mind play 'mEgham pooththu thudangi' & 'onnAm rAgam pAdi'...thoovAnaththumbikaL is one very strong movie)

Sunil_M88
18th June 2011, 08:23 PM
Kathal Enna Kathal Enna from Sethu

jaiganes
18th June 2011, 11:31 PM

awesomeness written all over. vizhundhu kumbudren saamingalaa.

thumburu
19th June 2011, 10:27 PM
VS, "ALa asathum" - is indeed ennai asathara peppy Jog scale.

There was this lovely “Ani muthu vAngi vandhen Avani veedhiyile” during Viswanathan-Ramamurthy times from Bama Vijayam and Raja on his part has this “mottu vitta mullaikodi” portraying the playful banter between the orpadi’s 
http://www.paadal.com/album/indru_nee_naalai_naan

The mirth and mild mockery in janaki’s, the slight squirm in Shailaja’s as Janaki discovers her little secret – wah! what a delight! . Are these kind of beautiful relationship penned in current songs?

V_S
20th June 2011, 03:29 AM
Wow! well said! relationships in current songs? stylish love is the only relationship and poor VM and others caught in those dry and themeless nights (with no fault in them).

baroque
20th June 2011, 04:56 AM
ஓர்ப்படி, மாட்டுப்பொண்ணு etc .. பாடல் situation அமைந்து உள்ளதா எனத் தெரியவில்லை.
அப்பா பாடல் போட்டு இருக்கா பாருங்க, GVP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWfcKp8Seb0

ஆரிரோ ஆராரிரோ இது தந்தையின் தாலாட்டு...புல்லாங்குழல்,பியானோ, தபலா , female ஹம்மிங் for ஹரிச்சந்திரன் in தெய்வ திருமகள். is

heartwarming ஆரிரோ ஆராரிரோ , இது தந்தையின் தாலாட்டு

அடடா தெய்வம் இங்கே வரம் ஆனதே
அழகாய் வீட்டில் விளையாடுதே !
அன்பின் விதை இங்கே மரமானதே !

கடவுளை பார்த்ததில்லை இவளது கண்கள் காட்டுதே !
பாசத்தின் முன்பு இன்று உலகின் அறிவுகள் தோற்குதே !
விழியோரம் ஈரம் வந்து குடை கேட்குதே !

V -S,
உங்களுக்கு பிடிச்சு இருக்கான்னு தெரியாது.
It appeals to me .

Are you a ' that 's my daddy !' to some little or big persons?

Happy Father's day to you and all.
vinatha.

V_S
20th June 2011, 05:20 AM
vinatha,
Oh, So very nice of you! I am deeply touched! Thank you very much for wishing us. Yes I am a proud father of two charming kids. Morning my kids wished me and gifted me a booklet drawn by them, but I totally forgot about it after that.
Thank you so much for this.
I love this song very much and very apt for wishing on this day.
thaayaga thanthai maarum puthu kaaviyam
ivan varaintha kirukkalil ivalo uyir oviyam
karuvarai illai endrabothum sumanthida thonuthey
vizhiyoram eeram vanthu kudai ketkuthe

Fantastic lines! Another eagerly waiting movie!

I too take this moment to wishing all our friends a Very Happy Fathers Day!

baroque
20th June 2011, 05:49 AM
GREAT
vinatha

V_S
20th June 2011, 09:46 AM
Stunner of a song!
Prelude starts with gush of violins and high surge by guitar phaser or produced by some synth. The roll on tablas or bongos is divine. The same violin themeat the start is complemented by another instrument (not sure what that is) at the end of prelude. When singer starts singing tharana thirana tharana thirana na.. the chord progression is again spell binding! Amazing how Maestro extends chords long after the singer stopped singing her line (but has a hangover of tik tik tik).

The first interlude is spine chilling. Maestro becomes Master of suspense.

The bass lines in charanams are very interesting (with no percussion, but in second charanam, he adds percussion instead of guitar.) and it is just standard until singer sings 'idayil ulagam ilamai kaditham purinthavar inikkum uravirikku anugungal'. Phew! How Maestro composed this line? How long that last line is and bass lines tharumaru there! I was thinking he will stop there, no would stop here, he still continues, and everything falling in perfect place. :notworthy:

The second interlude continues where he left off in the first interlude and finishes off the song with brilliant postlude in Hitchcock style.

Again what a song with brilliant bass lines. Completely stunned and some excellent singing. Didn't miss SJ much. Only soring point is the audio quality, so much noise. Very desperate to listen this rare gem in today's quality.

Now comes the questions:
1. The song (including lyrics) is clearly is erotic. But the interludes creates suspense. So how can we categorize the mood of the song?. Very complex design.
2. Who is the singer? thiraipaadal did not mention the name of the singer. I somehow guess it could be Lata Rajnikanth, as it came in the same year as Tik, Tik,Tik and guessing the voice with Netru Intha Neram. I could be wrong. Ruling out P Susheela, S P Shailiaja. Who else could be? Sasirekha?

http://thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00405&lang=en
Please also checkout another contrasting (but in same erotic mood) gem by SJ, Antha Aathorama Oru Aalamaram.

Querida
21st June 2011, 08:34 AM
V_S Enchanting write up and indeed a curious find!
Hope he used the suspense music for some other movie bgm...especially with the silence extended pause...I didn't know what to expect...sounds thrilling!!
it becomes almost malicious(?) with the high pitched synth...i kept picturing a chase scene of sorts
the crescendo of violins before the singing reminds me of how "Madai Thiranthu" starts
the first interlude beginning sounded like far off echoing screams and the suspense continues...

Unique find V_S thanks for sharing as always :)

As for who the singer is...two sites cited SP Shailaja...but it doesn't really sound like her at all...so no help from my side.

skr
21st June 2011, 06:20 PM
V_S What a stunner of a song..
That portion from 3:15 freaks you out..that guitar piece from 3:27 and the same notes with the change of scale..
Maverick Raja at his very best :bow:
God knows how you find all these gems..You are the official Treasure Trove finder of Raja's music :ty:

skr
21st June 2011, 06:24 PM

What a song..simply mindblowing the bass i think seems to go in the opposite direction with the tune in the beginning..
This is real high quality .. TFS..A song not to be missed
As Jai mentioned 'awesomeness written all over. vizhundhu kumbudren saamingalaa.

skr
21st June 2011, 06:25 PM
Wish all you Hubbers a very Happy Music Day on the occassion of World Music Day !!

V_S
21st June 2011, 07:31 PM
You are most welcome Querida, skr. Glad you all like the song. I too could not get over that song. Maestro just would have crossed 5 years in TFM at that time, still tried to explore all unexplored territories in music with limited resources available (in terms of instruments), but unlimited thinking. Maximizing every opportunity to the core.

Querida, I too initially thought of SPS, but somehow the voice didn't match, may be I am wrong.

skr, Always love to hear some unknown songs of Raja, pretending it is released today, that's the joy I get. All credit goes to Raja, as he is the one who is asking us to explore and find all the treasures, which we missed.

Wishing you too and everyone a Happy Music Day!

PARAMASHIVAN
21st June 2011, 08:34 PM
Guys This is a "Genuine" Question without being "Biased" !

What are your views on Isaignani's sothapal by Giving "Awesome" tunes in vain to Mano!

1) Nilakaayum neram saranam - SJ is the Only Saviour of the song, Mano is Horrible in high Octaves
2) Maniye Mani kuyile - another Murder, again SJ the saviour comes to the rescue
3) ShenbahamE - Mano's version (sabaa)
4) Nee oru kathal - utter murder, I feel for Chithra
5) O priya priya / Om namaha - Idhaythai killathE

The reason, why I am asking it here rather than Mano's thread is because it was IR who chose him! If I am diverting the topic then , sorry and pls ignore this.

app_engine
21st June 2011, 08:40 PM
Guys This is "Genuine" Question without being "Biased" !

What are your views on Isaignani's sothapal by Giving "Awesome" tunes in vain to Mano!

I remember posting about this sometime back on this very thread.

The simple answer is "project management". :wink:

PARAMASHIVAN
21st June 2011, 08:51 PM
App anna

ஒ அரசியல்ல இதெல்லாம் சகஜம் என்று சொல்லுறீங்க :lol2:

V_S
21st June 2011, 08:56 PM
PS,
In Nila Kaayum Neram, to be honest, I could not stand SJ voice at higher octaves, but I can bear Mano there. She was not only struggling there with screaming voice, but totally out of pitch too, please listen to that closely.
Maniye Manikuyile, definitely one of Mano's best atleast for me.

App answered your other question.

PARAMASHIVAN
21st June 2011, 09:05 PM
VS

I understand your stand on SJ , she can get "Squeeky" at high octaves! In fact coming back to my memories you are right, she does have the "Squeeky" voice when she says ' அன்பே நீயே அழகின் அமுதே " but I still feel had these songs gone to SPB , they would have been out of this world!

Sorry for the digression :)

Sunil_M88
21st June 2011, 09:26 PM
Just way Raaja sir remade Oram po I think he should remake Kathal Vanthiruchu too. This one is of my fav MSV numbers. I know Yuvan remixed it for Vallavan but the less said about his version the better.

app_engine
21st June 2011, 10:01 PM
Just way Raaja sir remade Oram po I think he should remake Kathal Vanthiruchu too. This one is of my fav MSV numbers. I know Yuvan remixed it for Vallavan but the less said about his version the better.

kAthal vanthiruchchu is another IR-only number.

Movie : Kalyanaraman *ing Kamal / Sridevi

Sunil_M88
21st June 2011, 10:19 PM
Oh I see, the version I heard said it was sung by MSV :huh:

app_engine
21st June 2011, 10:34 PM
Well, I'm not aware of any famous MSV song that starts as 'kAdhal vanthuruchchu'.

The Kamalahasan song in Kalyanaraman (by Ilayaraja) is quite famous and it is supposedly inspired from some western song.

Here is the link :http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1456'&lang=en

It's possible someone said 'MV' (means Malaysia Vasudevan, who is the singer of this song).

No MSV connection, however:-)

app_engine
21st June 2011, 10:36 PM
BTW, MSV = M S Viswanathan, the famous music director known as mellisai mannar :-)

Malaysia Vasudevan, the singer - actor is generally abbreviated as MV...

Sunil_M88
21st June 2011, 10:38 PM
Sorry I meant MV :oops:

Querida
22nd June 2011, 08:28 AM
VS

I understand your stand on SJ , she can get "Squeeky" at high octaves! In fact coming back to my memories you are right, she does have the "Squeeky" voice when she says ' அன்பே நீயே அழகின் அமுதே " but I still feel had these songs gone to SPB , they would have been out of this world!

Sorry for the digression :)

I know I shouldn't aid in digressing,
but I actually like Mano's voice in many of the songs you've mentioned
but then again there are many fans of Asha Bhosle...whose voice I think is quite screechy in certain songs..IMHO it's Each to his/her own... :)

Querida
22nd June 2011, 09:35 AM
A number of hubbers have commented on this album, guess it's my turn...
I think it was Rajkumarc who said it takes some time to get out of this album...how very right he is!

"Eera Vizhi Kaaviyangal" Album IR/KJ dominated album...what's not to be excited about? :D

"En Gaanam Engu Arangerum"...don't like Jency voice in this song, however minute her part...
sweet melancholic lyrics...IR signature song...first interlude is pretty with flitting flute
whole song has a bouyant, floating feeling, second interlude continues with a more jazzier feel guitar really is a treat througout this song.

"Kadhal Panbathu" first interlude of this song really surprises...freaky beginning compared to rest of song
smooth sax and cool beats follow,

again second interlude starts differently too and then again melts into the song with entry of flute

whenever KJ sing "pothum vidu", "sollangale" it's like he's singing a conversation

with "Kanavul Mithakum" song there is like a western folk song
KJ's smooth, soothing and pastoral voice...whistling at the end a nice finish

"Pazhaiya Sogangal" haven't heard IR sing like this...deeper emphasis with huskiness, kinda like molasses :razz:
not my top pick for this album, I have to admit, again re-occurrence of whistling...nice it's like a short bit song

"Thendral Idai"
beginning humming is like an amateur singer getting his footing in a song
but the charm is that the whole song follows that slow undulating song scale
the interlude starts with a rush, you hear a strumming of guitar that sounds like you're going to hear more of a
full bodied continuation of the interlude but nope...the song ends quickly after that...
how apt that the song ends with IR singing "poi varavaa?" because having ended too soon, he certainly makes you want to wait for his return

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00125&lang=en

Querida
22nd June 2011, 10:58 AM
Delightful songs from "Nilave Suduvathillai"

Top Pick is "Poove" with SJ

Mischievous number by SPB

Two sweet numbers "Paarijadham" and "Naalum En Manam" with KJ

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00427&lang=en

rajkumarc
22nd June 2011, 11:27 AM
Querida - There are quite a few IR's albums or songs that has that where you don't want to hear anything else for some time. EVK is definitely one. Some songs - Kanavil Midhakkum and Thendral Idai have that psychedelic rock feel to it, similar to Pink Floyd albums. Of course, I'm not knowledgeable enough to state that it belongs to that genre, it's just based on my previous listening experience.

Nilavu Suduvathillai is a sweet album. Naalum En Manam is my favorite, love the humming in the prelude.

rajkumarc
22nd June 2011, 11:31 AM
Listening to recent IR works. Jeganmohini songs on the loop. Nilavu Varum Neram is highly addictive. Love the predominantly synth based orchestration and Swetha does a neat job with the vocals. Ponmani Theril is pretty good too and will always be in the once more list.

I didn't pay much attention to Poothadhu Poovu earlier. Loving this song now especially the overall tempo and the funky beats.

Sureshs65
22nd June 2011, 01:31 PM
Listening to the two songs from 'Katha Thudarunnu' which got lesser attention than the Hariharan-Chitra song. 'mazhamega' is a lovely lovely melody with such an infectious rhythm. All you need to do is to mentally substitute the intended instrument for the synth one used and you can easily see what Raja was attempting. 'kizhakku mala' has amazing hard rhythms with the shenai, thavil and other rhythm instrumentalists enjoying themselves.

Sureshs65
22nd June 2011, 01:40 PM
rajkumarc,

Good that you are hearing to the 'Jaganmohini' songs now. Probably the funkiest Raja got before he did 'Ponnar Shankar'. I generally have three of the 'Jaganmohini' songs in a loop most of the times.

Sunil_M88
22nd June 2011, 04:47 PM
INDHA KAADHAL SEYYUM VELAI from KANGALIN VARTHAIGAL (1998)

I heard this song yesterday for the first time. I was literally blown off my feet when the first interlude commenced. I thought it was a solo until Unnikrishnan came in the second charanam, it was complete surprise but a pleasant one.

http://www.in.com/music/kangalin-varthaigal/songs-55899.html

Sunil_M88
22nd June 2011, 06:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=677hSrjHSH8&feature=related

singer: KJY

amazing hook "Thada da dada" hehe, not to forget the choir bits :thumbsup:

KV
22nd June 2011, 07:27 PM
V_S, great find and awesome writeup on 'Siraiyil Irunthu Uravu Paravai Ninaikirathu' :thumbsup:
The voice doesnt sound like SPS to me either. Maybe Sasirekha or Latha Rajinikanth?