PDA

View Full Version : || 127 Hours | Danny Boyle | James Franco | ARR ||

Pages : [1] 2 3

Yathu
22nd August 2010, 02:50 PM
[tscii:e0805bdad3]So Matt Dunkley's page confirms ARR is doing this movie:

http://www.mattdunkley.com/news.htm

August 2010 - orchestrating and conducting A.R.Rahman's beautiful score to Danny Boyle's new movie "127 Hours", which will close the London Film Festival.

Thoughts of someone who'd seen the test screening:

In telling the true story of a climber who is forced to amputate his arm after being trapped for five days, Boyle and James Franco certainly do a lot with a little. The cinematography by Boyle regular Anthony Dod Mantle and Enrique Chediak is beautiful and inventive. The score by Slumdog Millionaire composer A.R Rahman is strong as are a few well selected pop songs. The presence of supporting players is kept to a minimum as Franco aptly commandeers what is essentially a one man movie. The intensity of his situation is tempered by a good sense of humor, including a wonderful reference to Scorsese’s The King of Comedy.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/07/13/early-buzz-danny-boyles-127-hours/
[/tscii:e0805bdad3]

Yathu
22nd August 2010, 02:59 PM
Director:

Danny Boyle

Writers:

Simon Beaufoy (screenplay), Danny Boyle (screenplay)

Release dates:

Canada September 2010 (Toronto International Film Festival) (premiere)
UK 28 October 2010 (London Film Festival)
USA 5 November 2010

Film Synopsis:

127 Hours is the true story of mountain climber Aron Ralston's (James Franco) remarkable adventure to save himself after a fallen boulder crashes on his arm and traps him in an isolated canyon in Utah. Over the next five days Ralston examines his life and survives the elements to finally discover he has the courage and the wherewithal to extricate himself by any means necessary, scale a 65 foot wall and hike over eight miles before he is finally rescued. Throughout his journey, Ralston recalls friends, lovers (Clemence Poesy), family, and the two hikers (Amber Tamblyn and Kate Mara) he met before his accident. Will they be the last two people he ever had the chance to meet?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1542344/

littlemaster1982
22nd August 2010, 03:05 PM
Even SDM was premiered in TFF during September :P

raghavendran
22nd August 2010, 06:09 PM
8-)

Yathu
22nd August 2010, 07:08 PM

Definitely a good omen. :D

Sunil_M88
22nd August 2010, 10:21 PM

Definitely a good omen. :D

I clone that and also if you go by the synopsis of the movie, one can expect breath taking visuals which will motivate Rahman sir to give a serene output. Still not sure if we can expect a Jai ho again :S

Yathu
24th August 2010, 05:20 AM
[tscii:f37031bf79]Official description- 127 Hours

In 2003, a young American outdoorsman ventured into the arid desert and canyons around Moab, Utah on a weekend excursion. He was alone, ripping across the rocky, undulating landscape on his mountain bike with all the rambunctious exuberance of a young man in love with life and risk. Little did he know that his latest adventure was about to change into one of the most compelling stories of courage and survival.

In his follow-up to the immensely successful, Academy Award®-winning Slumdog Millionaire, Danny Boyle has turned to the true story of Aron Ralston, who found himself fighting for his life after his right hand was crushed and trapped by a boulder in a freak accident. Despite his Herculean attempts to move the rock, Aron’s luck seemed to have run out.
How does one make a film about a man stuck in one place, struggling to avoid the inevitable? In what is essentially a one-man show – and James Franco is extraordinary in his portrayal of the famed adventurer – Boyle has stretched his extraordinary talents to their fullest. Initially, Aron is almost bemused by his fate, and draws on all his climbing skills to set up a system of pulleys using his one good hand. As every attempt to move the boulder fails, and as his water supply starts to run dry, Aron drifts into reveries of his past and fantasies of possible escapes. He records his thoughts with the camcorder he brought with him. Relying on his wits and facing certain death, he is finally forced to the conclusion that there is only one way out.

Full of visual invention that exhibits a kinetic sense of cinema, complemented by a superb score from Slumdog collaborator A.R. Rahman,Boyle has followed up one great success with another.

Piers Handling

http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiff/2010/127hours[/tscii:f37031bf79]

Glad to see the score is already getting a special mention! :D

ajaybaskar
24th August 2010, 11:40 AM
This movie will not have songs like SDM i guess.

raghavendran
24th August 2010, 07:58 PM
arr hinted that he has signed a very big hollywood film some time ago..idhudhana 8-) ..

Yathu
25th August 2010, 04:19 AM
Like the guy who saw the test screening said, there'll be some pop songs in the film too as part of the score. Like 'Paper Planes' in SDM. It'll be interesting to see what kind of an orchestral score ARRs given to the film!

One score I was really impressed by recently was Hans Zimmer's Inception. That was was just spectacular. It really heightened the impact of so many of the scenes in the film.

Christopher Nolan needs to work with ARR!

A.ANAND
25th August 2010, 07:08 AM
http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/127hours/

MADDY
25th August 2010, 09:53 AM
http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/127hours/

chanceless 8-)

lancelot
25th August 2010, 09:59 AM
Christopher Nolan needs to work with ARR!
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

A.ANAND
25th August 2010, 10:07 AM
another trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F5L8sqjGNc

baroque
25th August 2010, 08:57 PM
http://theplaylist.blogspot.com/2010/08/watch-teaser-trailer-for-danny-boyles.html

vinatha.

united07
25th August 2010, 09:34 PM
[tscii:6f97566831]The song on the trailer....

Free Blood, “Never Hear Surf Music Again”

http://www.thefader.com/2007/09/06/audio-free-blood-never-hear-surf-music-again/[/tscii:6f97566831]

Sunil_M88
26th August 2010, 03:00 AM
[tscii:c79e07f39e]The song on the trailer....

http://www.thefader.com/2007/09/06/audio-free-blood-never-hear-surf-music-again/[/tscii:c79e07f39e]

@ united07, Thanks, if you did not post this I would of mistaken the female vocals in the trailer for that of M.I.A.

ajaybaskar
26th August 2010, 07:53 AM
Watching thalaivar's name at the end of the trailer itself was a great feeling.

MADDY
26th August 2010, 08:56 AM
[tscii:198fa27e66]The song on the trailer....

http://www.thefader.com/2007/09/06/audio-free-blood-never-hear-surf-music-again/[/tscii:198fa27e66]

psycedelia :bow: .......distorted vocals and amazing jungle rythms + the pop influences - really never heard of 8-)

A.ANAND
26th August 2010, 10:29 AM
Slumdog Millionaire combo is back!

The Slumdog Millionaire combo is back! Yes, ace director Danny Boyle and A R Rahman are back together and this time, with a movie titled 127 Hours.

Despite Rahman's involvement in the film being kept under wraps, the teaser trailer of this flick (that released recently) reveals that the Mozart of Madras is indeed the composer of the film.

The film, which is based on the true story of Aron Ralston, a mountain climber who amputated his arm to free himself after being trapped in a boulder for nearly five days, has Spiderman star James Franco playing the lead.

The Boyle-Rahman pair rocked the film scene in 2008 with Slumdog Millionaire, which won eight Academy Awards besides a series of other international awards. The music composer's Jai Ho..., which featured in the film, went on to become the toast of Hollywood and gave the Indian composer international recognition.

The screenplay of 127 Hours is by Simon Beaufoy, who was also a part of the Slumdog team. The movie is expected to hit the screens this November.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/music/Slumdog-Millionaire-combo-is-back/articleshow/6432984.cms

A.ANAND
26th August 2010, 10:39 AM
[tscii:2197cad2a6]The song on the trailer....

http://www.thefader.com/2007/09/06/audio-free-blood-never-hear-surf-music-again/[/tscii:2197cad2a6]

psycedelia :bow: .......distorted vocals and amazing jungle rythms + the pop influences - really never heard of 8-)

Really this song compose by ARR?? :shock:

satissh_r
26th August 2010, 10:41 AM

Don't think so, its must be some band

lancelot
26th August 2010, 10:51 AM
why was ARR's involvement kept such a secret? do we hear any of ARR in the trailer or is the whole thing some other band? sounds awesome though!

MADDY
26th August 2010, 03:06 PM

Don't think so, its must be some band

yes - its some other's work

ajaybaskar
26th August 2010, 03:36 PM
why was ARR's involvement kept such a secret? do we hear any of ARR in the trailer or is the whole thing some other band? sounds awesome though!

They did the same for SDM as well. Only after the initial screenings, ppl knew that ARR was the composer..

A.ANAND
3rd September 2010, 04:41 PM
[tscii:1b63ae1917] Danny Boyle on 127 Hours

MTV: In terms of the music, it's A.R. Rahman doing the score again after "Slumdog." Can you speak a little about what he's done?

Boyle: We've got a couple of songs, and the rest of the work is more guitar-based. Some of it is solo guitar, which felt appropriate given the nature of the story. Got a couple of wonderful songs. Free Blood ("Never Hear Surf Music Again") at the beginning, which we used for the trailer. Music has always been a big part of a movie for me, and I hope we've done another one justice we've what we've used.

Full Interview :

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1647109/20100902/story.jhtml

At the 81st Academy Awards in early 2008, Danny Boyle's "Slumdog Millionaire" took home eight awards, including Best Director, while Darren Aronofsky's "The Wrestler" lost both categories in which it was nominated.

But that didn't stop Boyle from wanting to emulate Aronofsky's cinematic approach for his next project. Thus, "127 Hours." follows one central character, in much the same way that "The Wrestler" focused on Mickey Rourke's damaged grappler. Boyle's new film is based on the true story of an avid outdoorsman who becomes trapped under a boulder in the wildness and is forced to saw off his own arm to escape. James Franco plays the unfortunate hiker.

The film is one that Boyle has wanted to make for years. Only after virtually sweeping the Oscars, and being inspired by Aronofsky's style, though, did he move forward with the project. As part of MTV News' Fall Movie Preview, Boyle called us to chat about how his career has changed since "Slumdog," the challenges of making a film about a man who can't move, and why "127 Hours" may not be the ideal date movie.

MTV: How are you?

Danny Boyle: Good. We're mixing "127 Hours" at Pinewood, and we've been kicked out of the big theater by "Harry Potter." We're next door in the little theater.

MTV: I guess if you're going to be kicked out by anybody, they have a big thing going on.

Boyle: They're not even here! Do you know what they do? It's a big bank holiday this weekend here in Britain, and we're working right through the weekend to get it ready, and what they do is they book the theater for months and nothing happens! It's like, "Really?"

MTV: Well, it is great to talk to you. So, you had, you know, a little bit of success with "Slumdog Millionaire." Coming off of that, why this one?

Boyle: I'd always wanted to do it. The story has an instant tension that draws everyone's attention to it. So many people remember it vaguely. But it wasn't that. I wanted to make the film and I tried to get it going. Of course, it's a tough subject, but I had a way of doing it that wasn't what you think. It would be compelling and would occupy you completely as a viewer so that the whole barrier — it's just one guy stuck in one place — that wouldn't become an issue because you'd be with him. You would be him, in effect. That was always my take on it. Anyway, once "Slumdog" kicked off, [producer] Christian [Colson] and I thought, "This is our chance to make this." There's no other moment in our careers when we'll get a chance to make something like this, which is really a tricky prospect for any studio or financier. So we worked on it, we prepared a script, and then we had to find an actor. That's the key to this. Beyond our vision of it, you have to have someone who's not only going to share the vision but actually going to carry it much more than any film like "Slumdog" or a thriller or a big love story or anything that has a plot or the dynamics changing between two people. It's just one guy. We got Franco. He's amazing in it.

MTV: There are a couple ways to go off something like "Slumdog." Either you go with the project you've been wanting to make, or I'm sure you were offered every project under the sun.

Boyle: I don't think like that. It's such an amazing thing that happened that you have to take advantage in the right way. It's why we wanted to get ["127 Hours"] ready for Toronto, because that's where we started with "Slumdog." We wanted to take back there a film that had been made in its shadow. It's wonderful to do that, because suddenly it's not an intimidating shadow, it's liberating because it's a success that's allowed you to make something you've always wanted to make and you believe but wouldn't get made otherwise. Even though people, before they see the film, might think it a peculiar choice, but the film is really accessible. Whether they can get people into [the theater], I don't know. If you want to take a girl on a Friday and say, "What should we go and see?" it's tough to say, "It's a film about a guy who cuts his arm off. What do you think?" But once you're in there, it's a big story for everyone. It's a very universal thing.

MTV: What are the challenges for you as a filmmaker, keeping things dynamic, and the challenges for an audience? Do you imagine them feeling what Franco is feeling for the length of the movie?

Boyle: I always thought of it as the opposite of inert. Superficially, it looks inert, because he's stationary. But I'd always thought of it as an action movie. He can't move, but it's an action movie. That's what we've tried to do. I'm not going to brag now. You guys will have to decide whether we've succeeded or not, but that was the intention. I remember when we were doing "Slumdog," and Darren Aronofsky showed up with "The Wrestler." It's one of those films that you look at as a director and think, "That's it. You just follow this one actor around." It's different from his other movies, and it's different from my other movies, but I wanted to make one like that, where it's just you and an actor.

MTV: I heard you talk about the videos that the hiker, Aron Ralston, took when he was stuck, and how he changed over those few days as he became dehydrated. Was the physical transformation difficult for Mr. Franco? How do you accomplish that in the film?

Boyle: You can't, because you can't do it safely. It's not like carbohydrate loss. You hear about an actor losing weight or putting on weight for parts. You can't do that, because it happens over six days. He starts as an incredibly healthy young man and then this footage I saw by the end, when he'd been without water, the difference is shocking. It's a vanishing. The only way you could do it is through CG, and we didn't want to take that approach. We didn't want to use makeup, but so much of the film is so close. It's an intimate film. We tried to shoot in sequence to let James internally track it. We've not been able to move stuff. He was there for six days, and we'd go, "Can you move that line from day two to day four?" You can't move it, because the journey is no nuanced. He becomes completely different. He's a different person on each day. We've done it through James, rather than CG or weight loss.

MTV: What about the moment when he slowly cuts off his own arm? How long a sequence is that in the film? How much do we see and experience?

Boyle: It takes him 45 minutes in reality. It is in the film, obviously. The time it takes is respected by the filmmakers. We don't cut away, pardon the expression, and come back and it's gone. But it is cathartic, and that's the key thing. The whole idea of the film is you enter the journey with him and you don't cut away to a lot of people looking for him. It's an immersive experience, and it's cathartic when he does it because it's a relief for everyone and a triumph in some way as well.

MTV: In terms of the music, it's A.R. Rahman doing the score again after "Slumdog." Can you speak a little about what he's done?

Boyle: We've got a couple of songs, and the rest of the work is more guitar-based. Some of it is solo guitar, which felt appropriate given the nature of the story. Got a couple of wonderful songs. Free Blood ("Never Hear Surf Music Again") at the beginning, which we used for the trailer. Music has always been a big part of a movie for me, and I hope we've done another one justice we've what we've used.

soucr:arrfyg[/tscii:1b63ae1917]

ajaybaskar
3rd September 2010, 04:50 PM
Looks promising....

baroque
3rd September 2010, 08:57 PM
wonderful...
excited for A.R.Rahman.
I wish all the best to Rahman bhaiya for his future projects.
lovingly,
vinatha.

Avadi to America
4th September 2010, 12:07 AM
danny ethuku perarusu mathiri padathuku per vaikiraru.....

28 days

28 weeks

127 hours....

what is next XXX min or YYY sec....

:banghead:

A.ANAND
4th September 2010, 10:44 AM
so,appa antha trailer-la vara 'free blood'song compose by thalaivar??? :D wooooooooow! :thumbsup:

satissh_r
5th September 2010, 10:09 AM
Here are some reviews from the Telluride premiere:

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/awards-campaign-2009/posts/telluride-danny-boyles-127-hours-is-a-visceral-and-uplifting-experience

http://www.awardsdaily.com/2010/09/tears-in-telluride-for-127-hours/

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2010/09/telluride-2010-danny-boyles-127-hours-storms-into-town.html

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/09/04/telluride-review-danny-boyles-127-hours/

sathya_1979
5th September 2010, 10:16 AM
[tscii:788abe2d7d]Satish :ty:
Feedback about music from these links:
"Boyle reteams with A.R. Rahman, who won two Academy Awards for their last collaboration (Slumdog Millionaire). Rahman’s score for 127 Hours is more involved in the moments before and after Ralston became stuck in the canyon. I almost wish there were more of it, but it seems Boyle chose to play the dramatic moments more naturalistic (which is understandable)."

"A.R. Rahman, who famously collaborated with Boyle on "Slumdog," is back for a second go around with new songs and compositions that eloquently fit the mood (most appear to feature Dido in the vocals). Rahaman is also pitch perfect in his score for the film's most dramatic moment, helping Boyle create the unexpectedly uplifting conclusion. All three will be key players in their categories as awards season progresses."[/tscii:788abe2d7d]

jaaze
5th September 2010, 10:55 AM
thanks satish and sathya

Anand, I guess it would be like SDM - Paper Planes song. ARR's team would have only done the mixing. Composing of the song is by someone else I guess.

A.ANAND
6th September 2010, 02:26 PM
thanks satish and sathya

Anand, I guess it would be like SDM - Paper Planes song. ARR's team would have only done the mixing. Composing of the song is by someone else I guess.

the song is rocking! :D

ajaybaskar
6th September 2010, 03:15 PM
[tscii:2bb1bc4c2e]First "127 Hours" Reviews Appear Online
Posted: September 5th, 2010 by WorstPreviews.com Staff

Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire, 28 Days Later) just premiered his "127 Hours" film, about mountaineer Aron Ralston who gets trapped under a rock, at the Telluride Film Festival. And today, the first reviews have started appearing online.

We'll be seeing the movie at the Toronto Film Festival in a week, so we'll let you know if it's worth your money. But for now, check out what other people thought. And on a related topic, people were crying during the screening and paramedics had be called for one person, who passed out.

LA Times: Boyle has made Ralston’s tale spellbinding, truly an action movie in which the hero doesn't move.

THR: Excruciating to watch. Audience members were groaning and squirming everywhere. It's not hard to consider yourself fortunate for the constant headaches of city life.

Hitfix: It's a cinematic climax left this writer both moved and shaken, a rarity in this business to say the least.

Deadline: It has been expertly brought to the screen by the director who finds a way to put "urgency" in every frame despite the fact that the entire film is basically one man vs. the elements.

Film: The film will have you in tears one moment, laughing the next, and will leave you on the edge of your seat, gripping the armrests and holding your breath.

FirstShowing: I didn't love the film. It's great, but not amazing. I just couldn't get into as much as I could "Slumdog Millionaire."

Source: Various[/tscii:2bb1bc4c2e]

A.ANAND
6th September 2010, 08:25 PM
[tscii:cff4c67358]First "127 Hours" Reviews Appear Online

Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire, 28 Days Later) just premiered his "127 Hours" film, about mountaineer Aron Ralston who gets trapped under a rock, at the Telluride Film Festival. And today, the first reviews have started appearing online.

We'll be seeing the movie at the Toronto Film Festival in a week, so we'll let you know if it's worth your money. But for now, check out what other people thought. And on a related topic, people were crying during the screening and paramedics had be called for one person, who passed out.

LA Times: Boyle has made Ralston’s tale spellbinding, truly an action movie in which the hero doesn't move.

THR: Excruciating to watch. Audience members were groaning and squirming everywhere. It's not hard to consider yourself fortunate for the constant headaches of city life.

Hitfix: It's a cinematic climax left this writer both moved and shaken, a rarity in this business to say the least.

Deadline: It has been expertly brought to the screen by the director who finds a way to put "urgency" in every frame despite the fact that the entire film is basically one man vs. the elements.

Film: The film will have you in tears one moment, laughing the next, and will leave you on the edge of your seat, gripping the armrests and holding your breath.

FirstShowing: I didn't love the film. It's great, but not amazing. I just couldn't get into as much as I could "Slumdog Millionaire."

Source: Various[/tscii:cff4c67358]

Overall ennathan sollarangga!+va - va??? :confused2:

AudazJay
7th September 2010, 10:23 AM
[tscii:947b95264c]First "127 Hours" Reviews Appear Online

Source: Various[/tscii:947b95264c]

Overall ennathan sollarangga!+va - va??? :confused2:

There's been a lot of positive views about this film. Hope the final verdict turns out to be good! :D

A.ANAND
7th September 2010, 12:53 PM
[tscii:c5559dd4d1][127 Hours] "Rahman's score effectively heightens the emotion

"127 Hours" a stunning vehicle for James Franco

Buzz up!0 votes
EmailPrintPlay VideoMovies Video:After Show Show: Movie Reviews FOX News
Play VideoMovies Video:French films the toast of Venice filmfest AFP
Play VideoMovies Video:American Film Festival opens with Gilliam screening AFP
By Stephen Farber ¨C 30 mins ago
TELLURIDE, Colo. (Hollywood Reporter) ¨C Two years ago, Danny Boyle held the first public screening of "Slumdog Millionaire" at the Telluride Film Festival. The rest, as they say, is history.

Boyle was determined to complete his new film, "127 Hours," in time for this year's Labor Day holiday weekend event, and it premiered to loud ovations -- and a few squeals of terror.

Boyle knew he had a narrow window of opportunity to take advantage of the worldwide success of "Slumdog," and he decided to tackle a risky piece of material, inspired by Aron Ralston's ordeal when he was trapped in a narrow canyon in 2003.

This Fox Searchlight film has disturbingly graphic images, and it presents another challenge for audiences in that for most of the movie, we are confined in the canyon with just one actor, the remarkable James Franco. But Boyle is such a gifted director that he overcomes the obstacles and might even match the commercial success of his earlier Oscar winner.

Boyle assembled many of the people who worked with him on "Slumdog" including screenwriter Simon Beaufoy, producer Christian Colson, composer A.R. Rahman and cinematographer Anthony Dod Mantle (who shares credit with Enrique Chediak). Maybe it's the comfort of the collaboration that helps account for the apparent effortlessness of the filmmaking.

The film opens with a bang, with lots of split-screen effects and speeded-up digital images, as Aron heads off for a trip through Canyonland National Park in Utah. Boyle has demonstrated visual razzle dazzle and kinetic editing since his early films, "Shallow Grave" and "Trainspotting." Here the style is meant to mirror the energetic personality of the protagonist, an adrenaline junkie who savors adventure and shares his infectious enthusiasm with anyone he meets.

Aron encounters two girls while hiking in Utah and immediately goads them into climbing across a steep ledge and diving into a crystal-blue lake. We share the rush that the characters feel, but we also feel a sense of impending danger. The clock stops when Aron leaves the girls and begins climbing down a canyon. Suddenly he dislodges a boulder that pins his arm and traps him.

From here, the film moves into a more interior mode, though it maintains energy by drifting in and out of Aron's memories and fantasies. Boyle takes advantage of the beauty of the setting, familiar from many John Ford Westerns, but he also captures the inner life of the character.

He is aided enormously by Franco, who pulls off a virtual one-man show. The actor already has demonstrated tremendous versatility, and just this year viewers have seen him as one of Julia Roberts' lovers in "Eat Pray Love" and as Beat poet Allen Ginsberg in "Howl." Here he manages to create a radically different character -- an extroverted adventurer who is forced to turn reflective. Expect Oscar to come calling next year.

The different moods Aron experiences point to the deeper themes of the film. "127 Hours" is a pointed, double-edged critique of masculinity. Aron was reckless enough to embark on this climbing expedition without telling anyone where he was going, and the film sees that his cocky, independent spirit gives him unusual survival skills. But that lone-wolf mentality also puts him in deadly peril, and the scream that he utters near the end of the film -- "I need help!" -- gives voice to his belated awareness of the inadequacy of the Wild West code of self-reliance that stunts so many men. Franco nails this key moment with rare emotional intensity.

Although Ralston's ordeal gripped the world seven years ago, there was no guarantee that a film would do justice to the chilling true story. All of the key creative personnel contribute to the movie's nail-biting tension and unexpectedly moving finale. Jon Harris's editing is matchless, and Rahman's score effectively heightens the emotion. Ultimately, however, it is the talents of Boyle and Franco that sock this movie home.

source:arryg[/tscii:c5559dd4d1]

ajaybaskar
7th September 2010, 01:01 PM
Score eppo marketku varum?

A.ANAND
7th September 2010, 01:24 PM
coming soon!

A.ANAND
7th September 2010, 07:03 PM
127 Hours

By PETER DEBRUGE

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117943437.html?categoryid=31&cs=1&nid=2562

ajaybaskar
7th September 2010, 07:04 PM
Telluride festival ends with sneak preview of "127 Hours", "Black Swan"

English.news.cn 2010-09-07 16:53:10

LOS ANGELES, Sept. 6 (Xinhua) -- Oscar-winning British director Danny Boyle's new drama "127 Hours" and American Darren Aronofsky's psycho-thriller "Black Swan" were screened to rave views as the 37th Telluride Film Festival ended Monday in the ski resort town of Telluride, Colorado.

The two came as surprise "sneak preview" movies after the four-day festival had earlier unveiled the lineup of 24 feature films in its main program, its organizers said.

"127 Hours" features mountain climber Aron Ralston's (James Franco's) remarkable life-saving adventure after a fallen boulder crashes onto his arm and traps him in an isolated canyon in Utah.

"Black Swan", a heavily sexualized psycho-thriller about an over-wrought ballerina in New York competing for the leading role in Tchaikovsky's "Swan Lake", brought the audience to its feet for a five-minute standing ovation at the premiere.

Both "127 Hours" and "Black Swan" have been considered by many as hopefuls for next year's Academy Awards and thus set the stage for their onslaught on the trophies. Danny Boyle's previous film, "Slumdog Millionaire", went from Telluride to the Oscars last year.

The festival also screened 13 documentaries in the Backlot program and 25 new short films as well as six revivals selected by guest director Michael Ondaatje.

This year, the Silver Medallion went to veteran Italian Tunisian actress Claudia Cardinale, British Academy Award nominee Colin Firth and Australian director Peter Weir, while the special Medallion was given to the UCLA Film & Television Archive.

First held in 1974, the annual Colorado event ranks with much larger festivals such as Venice and Toronto as one of the world's premier international film festivals.

It has been ranked among the top 10 international festivals and among top five U.S.festivals, along with Sundance, Austin Film Fest, AFI Fest and Tribeca.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/entertainment/2010-09/07/c_13482924.htm

ajaybaskar
8th September 2010, 03:39 PM
http://www.cinematical.com/2010/09/04/telluride-review-127-hours/

A.ANAND
12th September 2010, 07:46 PM
127 hours is thrilling, life-affirming Survival tale & One of the Best Films of the Year

A.R. Rahman's buoyant and exciting score should undoubtedly bring him another nomination and with all these in the running

TIFF '10 Review: '127 Hours' Is A Thrilling, Life-Affirming Survival Tale & One Of The Best Films Of The Year
Lean, efficient, despairing, thrilling and ultimately life affirming, "127 Hours" might just be the film Danny Boyle has been waiting to make for his entire career. Riding into TIFF on an incredible wave of buzz, Boyle takes the true life story of Aron Ralston's unbelievable and wrenching tale of survival and alchemically turns it into a wide reaching, highly approachable and relentlessly entertaining film.

The premise is simple, and for anyone even remotely following the project, widely known. In 2003 Aron Ralston (James Franco) fell into a crevice while canyoneering in Utah's Blue John Canyon, with his arm trapped under a boulder. He tries desperately to chip away at the rock using a scissor/knife tool he has; creates a pulley system using his ropes to try and lift the boulder off before he faces the hard reality that -- with no one aware of where he is -- he will need to cut his own arm off in order to get out of there and have a chance to save his life. And he does. Yes, it's a one setting story with a "happy" ending most audiences will know upon buying tickets, but Boyle utilizes a number of devices that open up the story narratively and thematically while adding dramatic tension to a situation that is already nerve-wrackingly fraught.
Working with two cinematographers, Enrique Chediak and Anthony Dod Mantle, Boyle spends the opening ten or so pre-title minutes with Ralston running wild through the canyons and vast space of Utah. Joined by two fellow outdoorswomen (Kate Mara and Amber Tamblyn who get most of their screentime in this opening segment), they climb, tumble and swim in the remote and utterly gorgeous outdoors. With hands running against canyon walls aged by eons of wind and rain, with no buildings or people for miles and a seemingly endless sky, Boyle gives viewers a chance to be awed and humbled at the beauty and size of the land; we immediately get a sense of what makes canyoneering somewhat of a drug for Ralston and what pushes him to explore it in all its glory.

Among the other tools in Boyle's storytelling arsenal is switching between third and first person point-of-view; we are plunged directly in what Ralston senses and feels. But most effective of all is the video diary that Ralston keeps in preparation for his death. Sensing his predicament, he begins to keep a log of his situation, says goodbye to his parents and siblings and keeps his sanity intact by speaking directly to the camera. And Boyle uses these installments to flashback to memories, moments and even fantasies in Ralston's life. But these are brief. As his health and mental stability diminish, these moments are shortened and quickly cut as we're brought rushing back to the reality of the situation. In one particularly notable sequence, Boyle juggles with a screen split in three with reality, the present and fantasy all overlapping; it's a great feat made even more admirable in that none of this ever feels gimmicky or forced. Credit is surely due to editor Jon Harris who cut and threads this material together with ease, with a pace that, from the first frame, is utterly breathless; the film's 90-odd minutes simply race by.
But don't think for a second that Boyle's flashy style is a mask for the harrowing moment we all know is coming. When the decision arrives for Ralston to break his arm in two places, and then use his dull tiny knife to hack away at muscle, sinew and tendon to sever the lower part off, it is every bit as graphic and stomach-churning as it deserves. With flashes of light, bursts of sound, we palpably feel every snip, cut and snap as Ralston grinds through his arm and when the job is done and he stumbles backward and stares, delirious and desperate, at the truly bizarre sight of a boulder pinning the remaining stump of his arm to the canyon wall, the audience is just as stunned and silent as he is.

At this point the question is not if "127 Hours" will be nominated for an Oscar but how many. Giving easily the best performance of his career, James Franco is a lock for a nomination and easily a favorite to win it all. His transformation from confident charmer in the early frames, to emotions of shock, anger, disbelief and heartbreak that course through him during the hours he spends trapped is remarkable. Franco has never been more alive as an actor than he is here. As we've already made the case, Boyle should be an easy nod for Best Director while we'll wait for the Academy to figure out if both cinematographers can share a nomination. A.R. Rahman's buoyant and exciting score should undoubtedly bring him another nomination and with all these in the running, Best Picture is a no-brainer. Consider one spot already taken with nine more spots to be fought for.
Press and industry screenings at festivals are hard to assess sometimes. Cynicism is often easy and the wear and tear of running around a festival can often make audiences impatient and hard to impress. Our screening faced a nearly two hour delay causing pre-screening grumbling and consternation, but as the credits rolled not only did the film get rare applause (usually the end of a film will find a sea of smartphones being turned on as people quickly head to the exits), there were more than a few eyes being dried. "127 Hours" is poised to be another crowd pleasing hit for Danny Boyle and a film that will be tough to beat this awards season. But besides the accolades from press, and pieces of metal it will collect, director Danny Boyle finds his craft honed to a perfect pitch. Deeply humane, rawly felt and astonishingly executed "127 Hours" is one of the best films of year. [A]

http://theplaylist.blogspot.com/2010/09/tiff-10-review-127-hours-is-thrilling.html

ajaybaskar
13th September 2010, 01:02 PM
If he gets nominated, then it's his 4th... :-D

A.ANAND
13th September 2010, 02:54 PM
[tscii:b33e52dd5e]Danny Boyle's 127 Hours: An Existential Great Escape

In its new home at the 14-screen Scotiabank Theatre, a couple of miles downtown from the Yorkville movie houses where it spent its first 34 years, the Toronto International Film Festival is experiencing teething pains. Late starts for screenings, technical glitches requiring changes in venue at the last minute, and the usual mob of agitated journalists. But this is a famously good-natured festival, where the locals queue patiently for hours for a movie you couldn't pay them to see any other time of year. And the critics, realizing that they are being paid to see hot-ticket items that folks back in the States won't catch up with for two or three months, stand in line and crab quietly to one other. There's rarely a tiff at TIFF.

Yesterday the press waited for 90 minutes, some for more than two hours, to see one of the two screenings of 127 Hours, Danny Boyle's first film since his Academy Award-winning Slumdog Millionaire, which received its official launch here two years ago. (The last two top-Oscar winners, Slumdog and The Hurt Locker, had their North American premieres on consecutive days at the 2008 TIFF.) The delay stoked not much more than milling and mild grousing — including jokes about how the new movie wouldn't start until 28 days later (another Boyle title) and how they'd give an arm or a leg to see it. The director himself showed up to assuage the crowds before the screening began, saying, "I look forward to reading all your '127' Hours' jokes." We were pacified and charmed. And we knew that our discomfort was nothing compared with the true-life ordeal we were about to witness.
(See TIME'S Fall Entertainment Preview.)

127 Hours, which has its first public showing this evening, is based on Aron Ralston's memoir Between a Rock and a Hard Place. In the spring of 2003, while on a solo sojourn onto Utah's Blue John Mountain, Ralston spent five harrowing days alone when he slipped down a crevasse and his right arm got pinned between a chalkstone boulder and a canyon wall. Suspended there, unable to sit or maneuver, with little water and food and no practical hope of rescue, Aron used his hiking and engineering skills, and heroic resources of grit and self-control, to stay alive for a few days. Finally — does this count as a SPOILER ALERT, considering that the event made worldwide news? — he determined that his only means of escape was to amputate his crushed forearm. Now he had to figure out how to do it: his only surgical tool was a soft pen knife.

In cinematic terms, the task facing Boyle and his team — co-writer Simon Beaufoy, cinematographers Anthony Dod Mantle and Enrique Chediak, and James Franco, who plays Aron — was hardly less daunting than Ralston's. Some movies are essentially one-man shows (Spencer Tracy as the lone fisherman in The Old Man and the Sea); other films throw a small group of men into a single cramped space (like the Israeli war drama Lebanon, shown at TIFF last year after winning the top prize at Venice). Billy Wilder's The Spirit of St. Louis spent most of its time with one man (James Stewart) in a small plane, but that was a box of his own choosing. In 127 Hours, Aron is imprisoned in the worst form of solitary confinement: nowhere to move, no one to talk to — except himself, on a phone-cam. How to create visual variety for moviegoers while keeping them focused on the awful job at hand?
(See 10 Questions with Danny Boyle.)

Boyle addresses the matter exactly as you'd expect, in his patented antic-frantic style: speedy-cam tours of the terrain, schizophrenically split screens, Koyaanisqatsi-like sky vistas. The movie slips into flashbacks (of Aron's loving family life), surmises (those two young women he met on the trail — where are they now?) and hallucinations. Aron and the spectator with music. Meanwhile, A.R. Rahman's score and the rock-song interludes work overtime to comfort

There are times when even sympathetic viewers may wish for a steadier, subtler approach, as the great French minimalist Robert Bresson brought to a similar scenario in the 1956 A Man Escapes — which carried its own spoiler alert in its original title: A Condemned Man Escapes from Death. But Boyle, who has provided elevated entertainment in many genres since his 1994 feature film debut Shallow Grave, isn't Bresson and needn't be. This is an existential prison-break movie that cuts deep and, at its earned, ecstatic climax, soars high. (Rahman's closing theme works wonders here; so does a glimpse, just before the closing credits, of the real, smiling Aron Ralston and his wife.)
(See pictures of Danny Boyle.)
The movie finds most of its thrills and drama in Franco's gaunt, expressive face. His Aron shows desperation but no panic; he slices the enormous challenge confronting him into a series of problems to be solved: finding water to sustain him, devising a pulley system to hold him, summoning the guts to get free. It's an eloquent life lesson for all who watch 127 Hours. No matter how many hours some of us waited to get this lesson, it was worth it.

http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,2017703,00.html[/tscii:b33e52dd5e]

A.ANAND
13th September 2010, 03:35 PM
Innoru oscar uruthi pola!

ajaybaskar
13th September 2010, 05:02 PM
http://www.beyondhollywood.com/first-clip-from-danny-boyles-127-hours/

A.ANAND
14th September 2010, 09:24 AM
Watch the below video link for the standing ovation after the movie "127 hours" is completed at TIFF. You can see the credits rolling after the movie is completed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs-q5cEBJRk&feature=player_embedded

A.ANAND
14th September 2010, 09:28 AM
[tscii:27b615602f]AFTER 90 MINUTES, BOYLE’S “127 HOURS” HAS TORONTO ROCKING

'A.R. Rahman whose energetic score perfectly captures the protagonist’s spirit'

http://scottfeinberg.com/127ahit[/tscii:27b615602f]

A.ANAND
14th September 2010, 09:31 AM
I wish I could just have Rahman work with me - Danny Boyle

'In what may become a long term relationship, Boyle once again hired A R Rahman [ Images ] to compose the soundtrack of his new film. Rahman's music -- often exhilarating and complementing the opening and the ending spirit of the film -- mostly makes use of western instruments and compositions. But we can hear Indian tones in Rahman's quieter compositions. In last year's Couples Retreat, Rahman's music was barely audible. But this time, his soundtrack is very much a character in the film, enhancing the story's emotional depth.

"I wish I could just have Rahman work with me," Boyle later said at an after party organised by the film's producer and distributor Fox Searchlight. "When he goes to Chennai, he gets pulled into so many projects. But he has a studio in London [ Images ] and I got him there for a few weeks to focus on my film."

http://movies.rediff.com/report/2010/sep/13/another-oscar-nod-for-danny-boyle.htm

A.ANAND
14th September 2010, 09:35 AM
James Franco and Danny Boyle's '127 Hours' gets gasps and a standing ovation in Toronto

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/09/13/127-hours/

A.ANAND
14th September 2010, 09:36 AM
Music and sound effects are key storytelling tools in a typical Danny Boyle film

Music and sound effects are key storytelling tools in a typical Danny Boyle film. 127 Hours ranges from the rock 'n' roll, multi-screened opening set to Chopin's Nocturne No. 2 in E-flat major, weaving through a dreamy memory sequence, to stark silences save for James Franco's tense breaths and boulder-chiselling.
For his latest film, Boyle reunites with his Slumdog collaborator A.R. Rahman, whom he hailed as "absolutely genius."
"It's quite rare to work with someone who musically is that extraordinary, really," the passionate music fan said of the Indian film composer, producer and recording artist.
"It doesn't matter what we all do visually, One thing I've learned in my career is that 70 per cent of a movie is sound," Boyle said. "If you run any of these films without sound, after three or four minutes, forget it. Or if the sound quality is poor, forget it.
"That's one piece of advice I always give to young filmmakers: if you're starting off, save some money for the sound budget at the end and keep it, because it's extraordinary how much it means to people."

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/tiff/story/2010/09/12/tiff-127-hours-press-conference.html

A.ANAND
14th September 2010, 09:39 AM
Standing Ovations and Rave Reviews for 127 HOURS in Toronto

http://content.foxsearchlight.com/inside/node/4537

ajaybaskar
14th September 2010, 12:53 PM
A fan's note after watching the movie...

Hi All,

Just got back from watching 127 Hours, that was premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival. Wanted to just give my 3 words about it.

First, ITS A MUST WATCH....especially on big screen. The cinematography, the clip shots, and guerilla camera work is just awesome! Brilliant shots of the canyons and raw nature at its best. The camera angles and takes were all uniquely executed.

Second, watch with an empty stomach, cause you will literally be squirming through most of it, especially the climax where I myself was in excruciating pain watching it! James Franco was amazing in his performance, and its no surprise that he will at least get a nomination for the Oscars.

Last but not the least. ARR SIR's score!!...When his name came up in the opening credits...a handful of the audience (including myself) were cheering our loudest!! As for ARR's OST, the best word I can think of is edgy and totally gripping, with many guitar pieces and some unique beats that will keep you on the edge of your seats. What excited me the most was hearing a continuum piece for one of the scenes, which was just awesome, so do look out for that one! AND another blissful surprise was hearing a familiar tune! YES...it was none other than Raavan(an)'s Behne De/Usure Pogudhey, just the beginning bit of the song, but with an added flavour to it. Don't know how he made it work, but it totally WORKED! There were not many songs due to the nature of the movie. Most were small compilations of previous compositions by other artists which played in certain scenes. I was able to glance the credits of one of the songs: 'If I Rise' - Music by AR Rahman. Lyrics by Dido and Rollo, Performed by Dido and A R Rahman.(which was very beautifully rendered) Now, am eager to actually listen to the whole soundtrack once its out!!

Verdict: Do not miss. And best to watch in theatres, with a strong stomach cause its gut wrenching!!

ajaybaskar
14th September 2010, 12:56 PM
Another fan's thoughts...

WOW jus amazing score by rahman ...cant wait for the soundtrack..rahmans humming in the song with dido is jus out of this world...very good scope for music in the film. Hope rahman gets more of these kind of films in the west..the movie is also very inspirational

ajaybaskar
14th September 2010, 12:57 PM
Info on a track..

Song Name: "If I rise"
Singers: ARR & Dido
Lyrics: Dido & Rollo.

ajaybaskar
14th September 2010, 03:53 PM
http://incontention.com/

Just check out the predictions on the right side of the page..

A.ANAND
14th September 2010, 06:39 PM

Just check out the predictions on the right side of the page..

WOOOOOOOOW! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

raghavendran
14th September 2010, 06:44 PM

Just check out the predictions on the right side of the page.. :bluejump: :bluejump:

lancelot
15th September 2010, 10:42 AM
A Review on IMDb

I started loving this film within the first few seconds. 127 Hours begins immediately with the sound of Fresh Blood's "Never Hear Surf Music Again" ("There must be some f*%#ing chemical, chemical in your brain, that makes us different from animals, makes us all the same." etc...) just as featured in the trailer. That not-ripped-off euphoric feeling carried on all the way through the rest of the film.

The film has an energetic start with a split screen showing office-bound commuters/workers going along their daily drudge while our lead, x-treme biker/hiker/climber Aron Ralston (played to perfection by actor James Franco) packs his gear (unfortunately not finding his Swiss Army knife which might have made a lot of difference to him later on) for a trek into Blue John Canyon country in Utah. While on his way he has a brief fun climbing/diving/swimming interlude with two female hikers (played by Kate Mara and Amber Tamblyn). He then heads off on his own and at about 20 minutes into the movie takes a tumble with a small boulder that ends up pinning his right arm against the side wall of the thin crevice of a canyon. And that is where we are with him for the next "127 hours" (but only 1 hour of screen time) that it takes him to get loose.

I'm not going to spoil that resolution here, although most will likely hear about it anyway before seeing the movie. An obvious clue that he survives is given by the screen credit early in the film that says it is "based on the book Between A Rock And A Hard Place by Aron Ralston". The guy must of survived if he wrote a book about it right? Well, you can survive in many ways and not all of them leave you whole (both mentally and physically).

Director Danny Boyle brings a lot of the key Oscar-winning players of the Slumdog team back for this new film. Screenwriter Simon Beaufoy, soundtrack composer A.R.Rahman and cinematographer Anthony Dod Mantle (this time paired with Enrique Chediak) are chief among those. As an added bonus, from the director of the toilet-diving cam in Trainspotting, we now have the "desperately thirsty character saves his own urine so it can be filmed while drunk through a tube"-cam in this movie.

At the Toronto Film Festival's 2nd screening of the film, Boyle was there to take questions from the audience and his enthusiasm and excitement about the film was infectious. Tidbits included his talking about their 6 days of location shooting followed by a sound-stage recreation of the canyon based on 3D scanning imagery. Boyle also praised actor James Franco and emphasized how every time we see him in a new film he is stretching his talents and abilities, unlike many lead actors who are just basically playing themselves in various different situations.

Boyle said that for an audience to watch what would otherwise be deemed "unwatchable" you either had to be making a schlocky/not-to-be-taken-seriously horror movie OR you had to make the audience completely identify with the character to the extent that they would believe that they themselves would have done the exact same thing to save themselves if they had to. Well, Boyle succeeds in making you believe it.

Seen at the Ryerson Theatre, Toronto Sept. 13, 2010. 2nd screening of 3 at TIFF 2010.

ajaybaskar
15th September 2010, 03:02 PM
http://twitter.com/TIFFReviews

Poll: Best film so far

A)127 Hours
B)Black Swan
C)Cave of Forgotten Dreams
D)King's Speech
E)Never Let Me Go
F)Super
G)Tabloid

ajaybaskar
15th September 2010, 03:03 PM
http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column-post/127-hours-casualty-count-tiff-3-faintings-1-seizure-20808

:shock:

ajaybaskar
15th September 2010, 03:07 PM
http://www.awardsdaily.com/2010/09/toronto-festival-diary-day-5/#more-27947

http://www.joblo.com/tiff-review-127-hours

A.ANAND
15th September 2010, 08:09 PM
Rahman is 'musically just extraordinary', says Danny Boyle

TORONTO: A.R. Rahman is just incomparable as a music composer, says "Slumdog Millionaire" director Danny Boyle, adding that the Indian music maestro has created "deliberatively manipulated moods" for his new film "127 Hours".

Rahman, who won two Academy Awards for doing the soundtrack for "Slumdog Millionaire" in 2008, came in for high praise for his music in Boyle's new film "127 Hours" which premiered at the Toronto Film Festival (TIFF) currently under way here.

"It is quite rare to watch someone who is so musically just extraordinary really...and he inhabited the world (in '127 Hours') we are trying create silence with...sometimes there is silence, but sometimes it is a kind of ambience silence he created," said Boyle of Rahman.

"And all the time, Rahman created very deliberatively manipulated moods to reflect his characters or pushed in through something."

The British director said soundtrack is the most vital part of a movie. "It doesn't matter what we all do visually. One thing I have learnt in my career is that 70 percent of the movie is sound. Cinematographers will hate it....but it is absolutely true.

"It is an ordinary piece of advice I always give to filmmakers - who are starting off - to save some money for the sound with you. At the end, it is extraordinary how it (sound) means to people."

"127 Hours" is a real-life 127-hour-long nightmare of American accomplished climber Aron Ralston who embarked on a solo adventure in 2003 and ended up trapped inside a deep canyon in Utah state, with his right arm crushed by a boulder.

During his relentless struggle to free his arm from beneath the boulder, he ran out of water and drank his own urine to survive. After failing to cut off the trapped arm and losing all hope of ever getting out alive, he started videotaping his last hours. Finally, he managed to cut off his arm to free himself after five days.

"The Pineapple Express" star James Franco plays the role of Aron Ralston in this compelling film with powerful cinematography and soundtrack.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/news-by-industry/et-cetera/Rahman-is-musically-just-extraordinary-says-Danny-Boyle/articleshow/6558149.cms

ajaybaskar
16th September 2010, 05:56 PM
-deleted for repeated posting-

A.ANAND
16th September 2010, 06:26 PM
thalaiva,konjam mela parungga! :)

Yathu
18th September 2010, 06:38 AM
So HAPPY to see all these great reviews!

Can't wait to see the movie and listen to ARRs BGM! :D :D

ajaybaskar
21st September 2010, 04:54 PM
http://twitchfilm.net/reviews/2010/09/tiff-2010-127-hours-review.php

It turns out that two great things came about from Danny Boyle's previous over-baked and lobotomized fantasy, Slumdog Millionaire. First, the Oscar means he will probably be able to work for the rest of his life is he so chooses, hopping genres with every film like contemporary film chameleons Stephen Soderbergh and Michael Winterbottom. Second, was the collaboration with A.R. Rahman who leads off 127 hours with one of the snappiest pieces of musical introduction to come along since, well, Shallow Grave or Trainspotting. Boyle excels at the meld of the visual and musical rhythm - it screams youth and energy. The music and opening scenes set such an optimistic, bustling tone for a film you probably know by now will go another direction at some point.

ajaybaskar
23rd September 2010, 06:54 PM
There's something about the way Danny Boyle uses popular music in his films that's really exciting for anyone who genuinely cares about the medium.

Plenty of directors are good with a score, and he's no slouch in that department, but the use of songs is a different beast. In both score and songs, Boyle seems to have an inherent ability to understand the moods and emotions music can inspire in people and uses it to augment his storytelling.

It's not blatant or particularly manipulative in any way. He's not some hack choosing to play a song about heartbreak over a scene about heartbreak. What he does digs deeper than the lyrics. He finds that intangible thing so many of us feel when we hear the right kind of tune, and brings it to the big screen.

His latest offering, 127 Hours, is no exception. It's not that the music is doing all of the heavy lifting. The film, bright and filled with the quirky angles and viewpoints we've come to expect from Boyle, is a visual treat.

James Franco is subtle and nuanced as the endangered mountain climber Aron Ralston and manages to carry the bulk of the film by himself quite admirably. And it's unlikely any movie based on Ralston's harrowing adventure, in which he spent almost five days trapped by a boulder on a Utah climb and had to sever his own arm to save his life, would ever have been boring or unemotional. But the use of music takes the experience to a whole different level.

With the sound cranked up in the mix so loud that it reverberates through the body, almost in the same way that sound can be viscerally felt at a concert, viewers don't just intellectually sympathize with Ralston's journey, they can almost feel it themselves. There are a couple of scenes where the sound does border on obvious manipulation, but the triumph of the human experience sounds and feels so good in 127 Hours that its hard to resent Boyle and composer A.R. Rahman too much for tugging at your heartstrings.

And, for the more jaded music fans, there's a joke at Phish's expense. Even if your heart is too cold and black for the rest of the movie, you've got to smile at that.

http://www.chartattack.com/reviews/2010/sep/22/tiff-review-127-hours

ajaybaskar
30th September 2010, 02:18 PM
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/First-127-Hours-Clip-Lets-James-Franco-Play-The-Flirt-20609.html

ajaybaskar
8th October 2010, 10:57 AM
http://trailers.apple.com/movies/fox_searchlight/127hours/127hours-tlr2_480p.mov

RGowtham
8th October 2010, 11:26 AM
When is its Release

ajaybaskar
8th October 2010, 11:28 AM
Nov 5

ajaybaskar
11th October 2010, 04:13 PM
http://video.ak.fbcdn.net/cfs-ak-ash2/70138/890/439021415924_24017.mp4

Yathu
12th October 2010, 05:15 AM
http://video.ak.fbcdn.net/cfs-ak-ash2/70138/890/439021415924_24017.mp4

Hey Ajay, I can't open your video. What is it of?

(Great signature btw! :D )

ajaybaskar
12th October 2010, 11:13 AM
127 hrs official trailer... :-)

sathya_1979
12th October 2010, 12:01 PM
What is with Boyle and numbers - 28 days later, 28 weeks later, 127 hours :)

littlemaster1982
12th October 2010, 12:03 PM
28 Weeks later is not Boyle's film :P

Siv.S
12th October 2010, 12:19 PM
28 Weeks later is not Boyle's film :P
But he was the producer of that movie right?

sathya_1979
12th October 2010, 12:24 PM
yes producer. Sequel to 28 days later

ajaybaskar
12th October 2010, 12:52 PM
slumdog 'million'aire?

A.ANAND
12th October 2010, 03:56 PM
Free screening of 127 Hours (Washington DC & Dallas)

If you're in DC (Oct 12) or Dallas (Oct 20) then go to Fox Searchlight's page for 127 Hours, click on Attend a Free Screening and print out a pass.
http://www.foxsearchlight.com/127hours/

-arryg

ajaybaskar
13th October 2010, 12:57 PM
What is with Boyle and numbers - 28 days later, 28 weeks later, 127 hours :)

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/40278/exclusive-danny-boyle-directing-next-28-days-later-sequel

sathya_1979
17th October 2010, 10:46 AM
AB, any idea if this is releasing in India on 5th Nov?

ajaybaskar
18th October 2010, 02:59 PM
I dont think such offbeat movies wud have a simultaneous release in India. :-(

BTW, Audio releasing on Nov 22nd. :-)

http://www.amazon.com/127-Hours-Music-Motion-Picture/dp/B00473MLG2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287283675&sr=1-1

sathya_1979
18th October 2010, 03:03 PM
Gud! Namma oorula kedaikkaNum, illenna torrentE gadhi!

lancelot
19th October 2010, 07:44 AM
it will be a good birthday gift for me :D

ajaybaskar
22nd October 2010, 02:36 PM
[tscii:554549b41f]A few thoughts on the score of 127 hours by a fan

Thanks to Ramesh R of our group, I managed to watch a private screening of 127 hours with Danny Boyle in the audience yesterday. It is both riveting and motivational and bound to attract a few Academy Award nominations. It’s a highly challenging
subject to handle and Danny Boyle showcased his directorial talents with aplomb.

Coming to the soundtrack, AR did a fabulous job in what I consider his most non-Indian score to date. (Even Couples Retreat had a few Eastern cues) What makes the music so special is that he left no traces of his musical roots which is quite an extraordinary task for an artist to accomplish.

The score flirts with at least four different genres – Rock, Ambient, Symphonic and Techno making it hard to pigeon hole in any one category. AR extensively used Guitars in both uplifting and melancholic hues. Strings naturally came in during grandiose moments. Drums dominated a few heavy sections. The use of
Continuum after Delhi 6 and Phir Mile Sur was a definite highlight moment to me.

I thought the mix was just right - neither too in-your-face nor too subtle.

I am very excited about this score because it demonstrates AR’s versatility outside of Bollywood and would act as a great demo for other Hollywood Directors, opening up new doors to mainstream cinema. (He shared credits in LOTR and The Golden Age, Couples Retreat was light in its treatment befitting the movie)

I am not sure if it can fetch AR another Academy nomination but then thankfully I was completely off in my prediction about SDM.
[/tscii:554549b41f]

sathya_1979
22nd October 2010, 02:41 PM
AB, audio release aayiduchaa?

ajaybaskar
22nd October 2010, 03:55 PM
BTW, Audio releasing on Nov 22nd. :-)

http://www.amazon.com/127-Hours-Music-Motion-Picture/dp/B00473MLG2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287283675&sr=1-1

A.ANAND
26th October 2010, 09:40 AM
127 Hours Track List [samples]

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00491ICJW

Play 1. Never Hear Surf Music Again Free Blood 5:52 Album Only

Play 2. The Canyon A.R. Rahman 3:01 Not Available

Play 3. Liberation Begins A.R. Rahman 2:14 Not Available

Play 4. Touch Of The Sun A.R. Rahman 4:39 Not Available

Play 5. Lovely Day Bill Withers 4:16 Album Only

Play 6. Nocturne No.2 in E flat, Op.9 No.2 Vladimir Ashkenazy 4:01 Album Only

Play 7. Ca Plane Pour Moi Plastic Bertrand 3:00 Album Only

Play 8. Liberation In A Dream A.R. Rahman 4:06 Not Available

Play 9. If You Love Me (Really Love Me) Esther Phillips 3:27 Album Only

Play 10. Acid Darbari A.R. Rahman 4:21 Not Available

Play 11. R.I.P. A.R. Rahman 5:11 Not Available

Play 12. Liberation A.R. Rahman 3:11 Not Available

Play 13. Festival Sigur Ros 9:26 Album Only

Play 14. If I Rise Dido 4:38 Not Available

ajaybaskar
26th October 2010, 12:43 PM
127 HOURS PROMOS GOOD QUALITY PROMOS DOWNLOAD

http://www.mediafire.com/?ufdzujxmdi97g

Sunil_M88
28th October 2010, 05:55 PM
[tscii:70f3238bec]127 HOURS: MUSIC FROM THE MOTION PICTURE Soundtrack Album to Be Released Digitally on November 2nd and in Physical Format on November 22 on Interscope, Featuring New Original Music by Oscar-Winning Film Composer A.R. Rahman

NEW SONG, "IF I RISE" FIRST COLLABORATION BY RAHMAN AND DIDO

127 HOURS is being released in U.S. select cities on November 5th by FOX Searchlight Pictures, reuniting the Slumdog Millionaire team of A.R. Rahman, director Danny Boyle, writer Simon Beaufoy, and producer Christian Colson.

Soundtrack includes a collaboration with composer A.R. Rahman and Dido as well as other instrumental score themes by Rahman, plus classics by Esther Phillips, Plastic Bertrand, and Bill Withers, plus new music from Sigur Ros and Free Blood
NEW YORK, Oct. 28 /PRNewswire/ -- The atmospheric and transcendent music score of Academy Award-winning composer A.R. Rahman is at the heart and soul of the inspiring new 127 Hours (FOX Searchlight Pictures), the true story of Aron Ralston, a trapped mountain climber and his ordeal in the Utah wilderness, opening in the U.S. in limited release on November 5th in New York and Los Angeles.

On November 2nd, three days before the film's opening, Interscope Records will release 127 HOURS: MUSIC FROM THE MOTION PICTURE, featuring the song "If I Rise," the first collaboration between internationally renowned Grammy, Golden Globe and Oscar winner A.R. Rahman and Dido, the mega-platinum two-time Grammy Award-nominated and 4-time BRIT Award-winning British singer and songwriter.

In addition to "If I Rise," the soundtrack for 127 HOURS will also feature several original score written for the movie by Rahman. Titles include "Canyon," "Liberation Begins," "Touch of Sun," "Liberation In A Dream," "R.I.P.," "Acid Darbari," and "Liberation."

127 HOURS marks the second collaboration for A.R. Rahman and Danny Boyle. In a 180-degree turn, they went from capturing the sounds and propulsive rhythms of the "Maximum City" Mumbai, India in Slumdog Millionaire to shooting in a claustrophobic canyon in the middle of nowhere, barely large enough to squeeze in just one man. Boyle needed the right music to capture the film's exploration of one man's extraordinary triumph over incomparable circumstances. For that, he turned to A.R. Rahman to inhabit the unique world of '127 Hours' and to capture the transcendent beauty of Aron Ralston's escape. Rahman's superbly eclectic score succeeds by balancing ambient sound, silence and driving rhythms that deliver an emotionally powerful and uplifting score. As Peter Travers notes in his review of the film for Rolling Stone "Like the A.R. Rahman score that drives the movie, the triumphant, enthralling 127 Hours pays fitting tribute to Aron by being thrillingly alive."

The 127 HOURS soundtrack will also include a number of eclectic tracks ranging from soul-jazz singer Esther Phillips' version of the Edith Piaf gem "If You Love Me" to Plastic Bertrand's new wave anthem, "Ca Plane Pour Moi," and Bill Withers' "Lovely Day." From Iceland's Sigur Ros comes "Festival," while Brooklyn dance-punk duo Free Blood contributes "Never Hear Surf Music Again." The album is rounded out by Chopin's Nocturnes – No. 2 in E flat.

127 HOURS reunites the Slumdog Millionaire team of Oscar winners A.R. Rahman (Best Original Score and Best Original Song), Danny Boyle (Best Director), producer Christian Colson (Best Picture), writer Simon Beaufoy (Best Adapted Screenplay), and Anthony Dod Mantle (Best Cinematography). An official Selection at the London Film Festival, Toronto Film Festival, and Telluride Film Festival, the movie tells the remarkable adventure of mountain climber Aron Ralston (James Franco), who saves himself after a boulder falls on his arm and traps him in an isolated Utah canyon. For five days he examines his life, recalling friends, lovers (Clemence Poesy), family, and two hikers (Amber Tamblyn and Kate Mara), the last people he met before his accident. Ralston ultimately survives the elements, discovering he has the courage and wherewithal to extricate himself by any means necessary, overcoming obstacles until he is finally rescued.

source: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/127-hours-music-from-the-motion-picture-soundtrack-album-to-be-released-digitally-on-november-2nd-and-in-physical-format-on-november-22-on-interscope-featuring-new-original-music-by-oscar-winning-film-composer-ar-rahman-105986908.html[/tscii:70f3238bec]

Sunil_M88
29th October 2010, 03:19 AM
[tscii:646fbe95a0]Composer A.R. Rahman Interview 127 HOURS

For his new drama-thriller, 127 Hours, director Danny Boyle re-teams with innovative Indian film composer A.R. Rahman who won two Academy Awards for his work on Slumdog Millionaire. Rahman has created an awesome score to convey the 127-hour ordeal of American mountaineer Aron Ralston when his arm is pinned by a boulder deep inside a Utah canyon and he must resort to desperate measures in order to survive.

We sat down for a round table interview with Rahman to talk about his new film. He told us about his collaboration with Danny Boyle, why he chose a personal and intimate score with Western influences to help bring to life the director’s unique vision, and how much he enjoyed once again being part of the Oscar-winning team behind Slumdog Millionaire. Rahman also liked our suggestion that he consider working with Ryan Murphy on a Bollywood version of Glee. Hit the jump to read what he had to say:

Q: How do you go about putting together a score and tracks for a guy stuck under a boulder?

A.R. Rahman: Since I worked with Danny Boyle before on Slumdog Millionaire, we have great success and everything. So, when I first got the script and the screenplay of Simon (Beaufoy) and I was reading it, even before the shoot, some kind of sounds came into my mind and I put some stuff [down] and sent it to Danny when he was cutting the movie. How we approached this was I wanted this to be personal in a way. It’s not a big, epic Hollywood score but really personal and intimate, and we thought guitar would be the perfect instrument for him because he’s young and he has an undying spirit and all that stuff and we went on that feeling totally.

Q: The music plays a huge role and almost from the beginning you feel like you’re inside his iPod. What were the sounds that you heard when you first started reading the script? What sort of musical emotions did you get?

A.R. Rahman: Certain things are done intentionally opposite — like there’s no sound at the end or synthesizers or all that stuff. Anything that drowns the movie, no. Anything that makes you sit up and watch it, yes. So, some are expecting a very sad theme going on. We didn’t want to do that. It would have been a beautiful moment in the movie but it would have brought the movie down. So Danny’s vision was perfect I think when he wanted it to be driven at the same time having this new emotion about this boy coming as a hallucination or like a déjà vu and as the future kid. That was a very different emotion and I felt Dido’s words would be good and I had a template with my voice in it. Then, when he heard it, he wanted both our voices together in it and that’s the scene when he sees the boy and then he gets charged to go on that final cutting effort.

Q: In that scene, there’s a string that he hits. I associate that noise with that scene so strongly. How did you create that sound?

A.R. Rahman: That’s a sound design thing but then we wanted to do music that would not disturb it and at the same time drive it.

Q: I thought they were all one thing.

A.R. Rahman: No. That’s the sound design. I watched it sixty times because we were constantly tweaking. The same thing comes twice, right? Once it comes in the beginning when he’s about to discover that he needs to come out and one is the dream where he’s flattered (??) and then he comes out. The last one, instead of going bigger, we made it smaller. We removed elements and thinned it out. So it doesn’t drive him. He drives the music rather than the other way around.

Q: Do you hear music constantly in your head?

A.R. Rahman: Yes and no. Sometimes I intentionally cut it off. I just want to be in silence, especially when I’m traveling. I watch movies without sound.

Q: What was the degree of difficulty for this particular movie? Was it something that flowed right out of you when you saw what was going on or what did you have to do?

A.R. Rahman: I had an initial 3 days before coming for this trip. I went to London to do the stuff. I was like “What am I going to do? What’s going to happen?” But then once you start working, you forget all that and you start enjoying what you’re doing. Once you enjoy the process, you know that people are going to do the same thing. If you don’t enjoy it and just do it like a job, then it’s going to be feel that way. That’s my theory of doing a movie.

Q: Can you talk about how you collaborated with Danny Boyle and what that process was like?

A.R. Rahman: It’s a very simple process. He comes in the tube (subway) and then he sits with me for 3 hours every evening and then I work on something. Then later, if he likes something, I put it even more perfectly. I tweak stuff. So this happened for 3 or 4 weeks and the music was done. When I initially read the script, it goes inside and comes out different things even without commenting on any stuff. And then, those pieces are taken out and then spread out through the movie.

Q: Everybody else went to the exact location in the canyon, did you also go there?

A.R. Rahman: I missed that because I was rehearsing for my tour in Los Angeles, and by the time I could go, it was done.

Q: Having worked on this project, would you like to go see the location in the future?

A.R. Rahman: Yes, of course.

Q: In this film, there’s one piece that reminds me of an Indian movie song?

A.R. Rahman: In this?

Q: Yes. Was that Danny’s request or your idea?

A.R. Rahman: It had a language. It’s a very emotional language that only exists in India, that part of [inaudible] so we wanted to use that. I had two versions — one with my voice and one with the girl’s voice. But he preferred the girl’s voice and he preferred my voice with an [inaudible].

Q: Who had different themes? I felt like the raven had a theme, the streets and the sky had a theme.

A.R. Rahman: There were basically three themes. One was the sun theme which is the guitar when he’d get sun on his leg and it comes again in the end. And there’s of course the lullaby which Dido sang, “If I Rise.” And then there’s this driving guitar which is the motivation theme.

Q: How did you come up with the sun theme?

A.R. Rahman: I played a couple of ideas and then had this unusual texture underneath which was like this little granulated kind of pipe organ almost like a scratchy record which he started [inaudible] brilliantly. “Oh I love that song.” And when things go fine, it’s good. So he started loving that song and that song was used quite a lot in the movie which is very granulated stuff on the guitar.

Q: You won two Oscars for Slumdog Millionaire, one for score and one for best song, where do you keep your Oscars?

A.R. Rahman: I don’t know. I don’t even know where mine is. My mother has hidden it because everybody who comes in wants to take a photograph of it. So what she’s done is she put it inside a suitcase somewhere.

Q: What if it’s lost?

A.R. Rahman: No, it’ll be inside somewhere.

Q: You don’t want to look at it?

A.R. Rahman: No, maybe I’ll look at it later. (Laughs)

Q: How radically different is your life as a result of that experience and did you even see that coming?

A.R. Rahman: I didn’t see it coming at all. I just wanted to have this new experience with this team of Danny Boyle, Christian (Colson) and Simon (Beaufoy). It was like an excursion for me from my normal routine and the Indian movies I do and that helped. Because when you work with a different team, the expectations are different and then you deliver in a very different way. You look back at it and you’re proud of yourself. And when the same people come in and you do the same thing, it’s boring. You could re-envision it again and again but when the new chemistry of ideas comes in, something happens as a team.

Q: When you’re not working on something, what do you like to listen to?

A.R. Rahman: I listen to everything. As I told you, sometimes I just want to shut off from music and be silent. Then I play a song and it’s refreshing. It’s almost like initializing yourself. Recently I was in South Africa doing a press day for my tour. I listened to this band called “Freshly Ground.” They were doing a live gig there so that’s the last thing I’ve heard.

Q: Is there a genre you’d like to experiment with?

A.R. Rahman: Yes, it’d probably be somebody like Danny having a vision of a musical which I thought would be a brilliant idea but not the old way of doing it but rather the Danny way. The last time I think he tried to do a musical but it didn’t take off, I guess. Four or five years back I think.

Q: Do you think Indian music is more accepted and listened to around the world now as a result of Slumdog Millionnaire?

A.R. Rahman: What is good is what it’s going to lead to, like the song “Jai Ho.” If good numbers are going to come in the future, it bodes well for a lot of things. But then, who’s going to maintain that. That’s the question. So far they could never lead to an Indian song, like a normal film song in this that they can relate to. There are a lot of firsts in that thing. That’s the reason I was doing this tour for them to see my backlog of work and what I’ve done for the past 20 years. We’re going 17 places including South Africa, Singapore and all those places. It is stressful and exhausting, but I think when you see the joy of people, it’s very nice.

Q: You’re the founder of the A.R. Rahman Foundation. Can you talk a little bit about what the foundation is, how it came to be, where it’s based and who it helps?

A.R. Rahman: I’ve been doing music for almost 20 years and after a point what is the motivation that drives you to compose and to do stuff? I did this song for the U.N., a fighting for poverty anthem. That’s when I realized that I could do a foundation. And when I started the foundation, it was basically to fight poverty and to help — that kind of stuff. The best way would be education and kids and all that stuff and then education and working education comes through. Then I started a music school and the music school now teaches kids to play the violin and the viola. These are the Rad (?) instruments that are dying out in India. So, it’s going well and I think now we are increasing the number of kids we have taught and of course we are helping out with other things too. It’s based in India now. [The idea is to] perfect it in one place and then we’ll expand.

Q: What do you think of the success of somebody like M.I.A. who had a song on the Slumdog Millionaire soundtrack (“O…Saya”) that really broadened her appeal and made her far more successful than she was?

A.R. Rahman: Actually it was the reverse. She catapulted. Her song, “Paper Planes,” is very popular. And then, sometime later, the soundtrack through her… “That Little Face,” she was helpful in doing that. “O…Saya” was a collaboration between her and me and she wrote good stuff.

Q: What genre besides Indian music would you like to see pushed more to the forefront with the work that you do?

A.R. Rahman: I basically love classical music. I love a lot of musicians playing together and the whole culture of that whether it’s Indian or it’s Western. But in India, I think it’s limited to filler ?? music unfortunately. That’s one thing I want to push in India where we have the infrastructure of an orchestra where you play Indian melodies with an orchestra and something different for a universal audience. It requires a lot of work from me.

Q: Have you ever played at the Hollywood Bowl?

A.R. Rahman: Yes, I did in 2006.

Q: You should do it again.

A.R. Rahman: (laughs) Do it again?

Q: Do something for their new season especially since you have another movie coming out. You should do it with the L.A. Philharmonic because that seems like it would fit right in your wheelhouse.

A.R. Rahman: That’s a good idea. I just finished a concert in March with the London Philharmonic playing all the themes of my stuff.

Q: What do you think about (Gustavo) Dudamel?

A.R. Rahman: Dudamel? I love him and his music.

Q: Do you think people like him just because he flips his hair a lot?

A.R. Rahman: At least that’s a charming thing. (Laughs) Why do you have to be critical about
everything?

Q: I love him. I think he’s fantastic, but I think people like him more because he is so quirky.

A.R. Rahman: Full package, isn’t it? (Laughs)

Q: He makes it more interactive for an audience.

A.R. Rahman: Yes, that’s good.

Q: Where haven’t you been to play that you’d love to go and perform?

A.R. Rahman: My list would be Russia, Morocco, Turkey, and South Africa I’m doing which is somewhere I’ve wanted to go, Australia, Japan maybe, and China, if I have the energy to go and play at all those places.

Q: Is there any chance we’ll see Danny bringing you along for the Olympic Opening Ceremony?

A.R. Rahman: He’s briefly asked me but then there are other things (considerations). I think it’s good for a team where a lot of people can put all their energies together. But he said “You’re so busy here. How can you do all three? You need to give two years of a lifetime. I don’t think you can give.” He both asked the question and answered it.

Q: Are there other filmmakers you’re collaborating with aside from Danny?

A.R. Rahman: Right now I’m taking a break. I’m just finishing up here. It’s been a stressful year with this tour and all the scores and stuff.

Q: Especially since winning the Oscar, do you have a lot of people in Hollywood clamoring to work with you?

A.R. Rahman: Not as much, but the thing is I don’t want to be in a studio situation where you’re forced to think. I love the second stuff. This stuff is perfect for me. This is what I want to do. I wanted to work on a movie that is intimate and yet have the music ?? I did, of course, a movie called Couple’s Retreat with Vince Vaughn. This came even before the Oscars. He wanted me to do the music. I’m doing a complete U-turn. (Laughs)

Q: You mentioned you liked classic music. What are your favorites?

A.R. Rahman: I grew up on Bach and Beethoven and now I’m listening to more modern composers who I can’t even name. But since I’m constantly doing music, it’s difficult to have that quality time to listen to music and do classical stuff. That’s the only reason I’m thinking of going on.

Q: So what are you going to do with all this time off now?

A.R. Rahman: Spend time with my family. Then, my studio is getting completed here in Hollywood.

Q: Are you going to come to L.A. and be based here now?

A.R. Rahman: I’m already based half.

Q: Half? That’s not based. That’s half based. You have your foundation in India. There are lots of kids here who need musical educations. It’s dead in America now.

A.R. Rahman: Maybe I should do that very soon. But I’d like to perfect it in one place. My ideology is to do one thing perfect first.

Q: At one point I think I suggested to Ryan Murphy that they do a Bollywood Glee and he was kind of interested in that. Is that something you might enjoy seeing – something mainstream on television in America?

A.R. Rahman: That would be awesome.

Q: Has Ryan spoken to you about it?

A.R. Rahman: Has he said he wanted to do something with us? I’d be interested. I think it brings a lot of excitement and joy. That whole style which was there before has been forgotten for years now in Hollywood. My recent DVD which I loved was Rob Marshall’s Tony Bennett: An American Classic. Have you listened to that stuff? It was beautiful. It was Tony Bennett’s movie, a documentary. Nobody knows but it’s a beautiful piece of work — a lot of collaborations in it and all that stuff.

Q: What about a big band Bollywood?

A.R. Rahman: There is a band in London that does that. It’s called Rahmania, strangely.

Q: If you did a musical, what sort of things would you want to do?

A.R. Rahman: I think I would like to discover a new root where people don’t get bored with people singing boring lines but something exciting. That’d be interesting.

Q: In a classical style or the rock opera style?

A.R. Rahman: I think it should be a mix of stuff.

Q: Do you see yourself teaming up with Alan Mencken anytime soon in a Disney animated film?

A.R. Rahman: I’d love to. That’s a very exciting thing. It’s so exciting. But again, it has to be discovered. It shouldn’t be the same old thing. Boring.

Q: You keep mentioning Danny’s team — Christian, Simon — and now you’re part of it.

A.R. Rahman: (laughs) Hopefully. At least in this movie I’m part of it.

Q: You don’t think you are?

A.R. Rahman: Well I think nobody should be pressurized like a tag on. And, of course, I’d love to be in another movie but nobody should have the pressure of “Oh he’s wants to be in my movie? How do we get rid of him?” It shouldn’t be like that. But it should complement it.

Q: I’m pretty sure he doesn’t want to get rid of you.

A.R. Rahman: No, no, I’m just saying. That’s my philosophy of life always. The film gives you even more joy to work with rather than…

Q: When I was watching this film, I felt the same kind of emotion and energy as in Trainspotting. Was that Danny’s idea?

A.R. Rahman: I’ve never watched Trainspotting. I just know it’s a very critically acclaimed film. In fact, I’ve never watched any of Danny’s movies [means before he met him]. I just worked with him and felt the energy of what he is about initially before I do something. In a way, I think that’s why we have discovered each other rather than replicate something else.

Q: You’ve seen the movies you’ve done with him though?

A.R. Rahman: Yes. Of course.

Q: You said you’d never seen any of them?

A.R. Rahman: Danny’s movies I’ve not seen any except for the Hollywood movie with Cameron Diaz, A Life Less Ordinary.

Q: So you have?

A.R. Rahman: Only that one which is not a typical Danny Boyle movie.

Q: How do you think the audience reaction to 127 Days compares to Slumdog Millionaire? Have you been watching the audience?

A.R. Rahman: I haven’t watched the audience yet because I just came in two days ago and I missed the screening yesterday.

Q: Are you looking forward to seeing it with an audience?

A.R. Rahman: Yes, I’m going to see it in London. It’s going to happen in two days.

Q: Do you get nervous about those sorts of things or do you just feel the excitement?

A.R. Rahman: I do get nervous.

Q: Can you feel the audience sort of swelling with the score?

A.R. Rahman: My first experience of that was with my first movie which I did in India. And it was so different from other people. I find that “Oh my God.” Every time the music is slow I feel that people are going to get up and go out. You get this nervousness. But, to my surprise, people starting singing the song even before it came in. They started singing along a week later, after release, which was very cool.

Q: How do they know the song?

A.R. Rahman: In India, the music releases at least 15 days before.

Q: Who’s doing film scores that get you really excited?

A.R. Rahman: I like Tan Dun, the Chinese composer. I like some of Hans Zimmer’s stuff. (Ennio) Morricone is my favorite and John Williams. As a sound, I think Gustavo. But this is all four or five years back. Now I just want to cleanse my mind. I’d like to discover something new or a new part of something. And anybody that’s coming to you, they want a fresh sound. They want more of me which I’m discovering myself every day.

Q: Where do you see yourself 10 years from now with your music?

.R. Rahman: Ten years from now? I don’t know. Because a mind is like a monkey, isn’t it? Suddenly it says “Work hard” and suddenly it says “Quit.” And for me, the second one is the one that keeps sounding off. “That’s enough. Let’s go.” If something comes along that’s exciting, it motivates me to work harder. But I guess that’s a burden to have. Ten years of good music. I want to feel light inside.

127 Days opens in theaters on November 5th.

source: http://www.collider.com/2010/10/28/composer-a-r-rahman-interview-127-hours/

Great read..[/tscii:646fbe95a0]

ajaybaskar
29th October 2010, 11:21 AM
Good one, Sunil.

jaaze
29th October 2010, 08:55 PM
[tscii:74560fbf90]
Q: Do you think Indian music is more accepted and listened to around the world now as a result of Slumdog Millionnaire?

A.R. Rahman: What is good is what it’s going to lead to, like the song “Jai Ho.” If good numbers are going to come in the future, it bodes well for a lot of things. But then, who’s going to maintain that. That’s the question. So far they could never lead to an Indian song, like a normal film song in this that they can relate to. There are a lot of firsts in that thing. That’s the reason I was doing this tour for them to see my backlog of work and what I’ve done for the past 20 years. We’re going 17 places including South Africa, Singapore and all those places. It is stressful and exhausting, but I think when you see the joy of people, it’s very nice.[/tscii:74560fbf90] :shock: :notworthy: :redjump:

Yathu
30th October 2010, 12:57 AM
127 Hours Track List [samples]

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00491ICJW

Play 1. Never Hear Surf Music Again Free Blood 5:52 Album Only

Play 2. The Canyon A.R. Rahman 3:01 Not Available

Play 3. Liberation Begins A.R. Rahman 2:14 Not Available

Play 4. Touch Of The Sun A.R. Rahman 4:39 Not Available

Play 5. Lovely Day Bill Withers 4:16 Album Only

Play 6. Nocturne No.2 in E flat, Op.9 No.2 Vladimir Ashkenazy 4:01 Album Only

Play 7. Ca Plane Pour Moi Plastic Bertrand 3:00 Album Only

Play 8. Liberation In A Dream A.R. Rahman 4:06 Not Available

Play 9. If You Love Me (Really Love Me) Esther Phillips 3:27 Album Only

Play 10. Acid Darbari A.R. Rahman 4:21 Not Available

Play 11. R.I.P. A.R. Rahman 5:11 Not Available

Play 12. Liberation A.R. Rahman 3:11 Not Available

Play 13. Festival Sigur Ros 9:26 Album Only

Play 14. If I Rise Dido 4:38 Not Available

I wish I could hear more of If I Rise! All the liberation tracks sound interesting. Very ominous sounding guitars!

Glad to see Bill Withers Lovely Day on there too. 'Ain't No Sunshine' by him is one of my fave tracks.

A.ANAND
30th October 2010, 11:27 AM
[tscii:81b65ed123]More Tweets from Shekhar Kapur

shekharkapur Shekhar Kapur
rahman's score adds depth to danny boyle's deft and energetic direction in 127 hours
7 hours ago
»

shekharkapur Shekhar Kapur
rahman certainly deserves another oscar for 127 hours, danny boyle and rahman are proving to be a great combination

-ARRYG

[/tscii:81b65ed123]

A.ANAND
30th October 2010, 11:30 AM
A.R.Rahman Talks about Composing for "127 hours"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGTcpVY-MYU

A.ANAND
30th October 2010, 11:48 AM
[tscii:34cf2834fc]127 Hours review - The Metro

Shot in Boyle¡¯s punchy, colourful and visceral style, he puts us straight into the thumping heart of the action with claustrophobic close up shots, split screens and a brilliantly effective score from Bollywood great AR Rahman
http://www.metro.co.uk/film/845593-danny-boyle-is-back-with-127-hours-london-film-festival-review[/tscii:34cf2834fc]

A.ANAND
30th October 2010, 11:49 AM
[tscii:f55d3cc905]Time Out review - 127 Hours - 4 / 5

Shot by Anthony Dod Mantle on a plethora of digital cameras, and with a euphoric electro-beat score by AR Rahman, ¡®127 Hours¡¯ crash-cuts between the highs and lows of a young man on his last legs, refusing to succumb. Deliriously ranging between the past and the present, fantasy and reality, the macro and the micro ¨C the movie is a total rush, building towards a wrenching climax you won¡¯t soon forget.

http://www.timeout.com/film/reviews/89058/127-hours.html?print=true[/tscii:f55d3cc905]

A.ANAND
30th October 2010, 11:51 AM
[tscii:1bf0e9f12d]Newshopper - 127 Hours review

But while director Kevin Macdonald¡¯s movie took the form of a documentary, mixing dramatisations with commentary from the two climbers, Boyle¡¯s film plays like a slick, fast-paced thriller, complete with a thumping soundtrack and stylish split screen montages

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/leisure/8482364.MOVIE_REVIEW__127_Hours_at_London_Film_Fes tival[/tscii:1bf0e9f12d]

A.ANAND
30th October 2010, 11:52 AM
[tscii:a747b6546a]LFF 2010: 127 Hours Review

Franco and Boyle combine to convey a sense of love for the moments when hope is rekindled, likewise in the darkest of the 127 hours Franco¡¯s hosting of his own morning TV show breaks the tension and heightens the tragedy of the events. I wanted to listen to A. R. Rahman¡¯s score all the way home, it¡¯s yet another powerful Danny Boyle soundtrack with a neat touch of irony.

http://www.heyuguys.co.uk/2010/10/28/lff-2010-127-hours-review/[/tscii:a747b6546a]

ajaybaskar
30th October 2010, 01:19 PM
http://www.arrahman.com/v2/discography/films-english-127hours.html

A.ANAND
30th October 2010, 01:39 PM
nomination for another oscar uruthi! :D

ajaybaskar
30th October 2010, 01:43 PM
Already 3 nominations. Count 2 more?

A.ANAND
30th October 2010, 01:46 PM
for music??

ajaybaskar
30th October 2010, 01:54 PM
Yes.. Best song and best score?

A.ANAND
30th October 2010, 01:57 PM
Yes.. Best song and best score?

woooooooow! :bluejump: :redjump: :boo: :happydance:

ajaybaskar
30th October 2010, 02:05 PM
Ennanga, edho awardeh koduththutta maadhiri feel panreenga?

A.ANAND
30th October 2010, 03:52 PM
nomination ponale award kedacha mathiri-than!athukkuthan intha emotion :lol:

baba88
1st November 2010, 01:25 AM
who said that he got nominated ???

lancelot
1st November 2010, 03:47 PM
[tscii:f8327ec765]Can Hollywood, usually creating things for entertainment purposes only, create art? To create something of this nature, a director must approach it in a most meticulous manner, due to the delicacy of the process. Such a daunting task requires an extremely capable artist with an undeniable managerial capacity and an acutely developed awareness of each element of art in their films, the most prominent; music, visuals, script, and acting. These elements, each equally important, must succeed independently, yet still form a harmonious union, because this mixture determines the fate of the artist's opus. Though already well known amongst his colleagues for his notable skills at writing and directing, Danny Boyle emerges with his feature film directorial effort, 127 Hours. Proving himself already a master of the craft, Boyle managed to create one of the most recognizable independent releases in the history of Hollywood. 127 Hours defines a genre, defies the odds, compels the emotions, and brings an era of artistically influential films back to Hollywood.

The story begins when a mountain climber becomes trapped under a boulder while canyoneering alone near Moab, Utah and must resort to desperate measures in order to survive.

By creating the film's firm foundation, the meticulously chiseled screenplay paved the way for this film's success. Boyle outdoes himself with the phenomenal adaptation of the equally noteworthy true story. In which Providence itself demonstrates that we are susceptible to wayward mishaps. Though the film mirrors the real life ordeal in many ways, Boyle illustrates a focused objective of improving upon the areas where true events come up short, resulting in one of the best film transitions ever.

While maintaining some of the poetic and moving dialogue of the novella, Boyle also proves that a film's score can generate a great deal of emotional response from its audience, as dialogue does. He employs the cunning A.R. Rahman, son of the legendary Bollywood composer, Alfred Yash Rahman. Boyle shows recognition for the film's needs by employing Rahman, who makes the gentle piano chords whisper softly to the viewer, as if a part of the scripted dialogue. Rahman lends himself to individualism and tends to drive more towards the unique in the realm of score composition. His effort in 127 Hours did not go unnoticed, as his score received an Berlin Silver Bear nomination in 2010. While unique and independent, Rahman's score never once intrudes on your concentration or distracts from the film.

With work from vast array of talented scene designers, costume designers, composers, cinematographers, and various other Hollywood artists, the cast of 127 Hours had a strong foundation to work with. The marvelous cast of this film will dazzle you with some of the most convincing performances you will witness in a film. While James Franco shines as Aron Ralston, the true spectacle of acting lies within the plethora of amazing supporting actors who easily disappear into their roles. Most noticeable of these, the veteran film star Treat Williams, who portrays the elderly father figure. Williams, a man torn apart by hisown inner demons for so long that he finds himself attached to the past and the daily life he has lead. Each of these actors show a true dedication to their art, and a focused purpose in their motivations, creating a convincing setting that never once caters to anything unbelievable.

With all of the aesthetic touches and attention to cinematic detail, the most beautiful part of the film lies within its thematic material, such as its focus on the human desires for the most abstract concepts, like hope and freedom. These themes, which concern things the human spirit undoubtedly yearns for, seem so intricately woven into the plot that it easily draws its audience in to its story. Though full of twists of unrelenting Fate, your heart will go out to these men as they display the most basic of human emotions, and deliver some of the most quotable lines in a film to date. Like a great novel, this film manages to succeed at greater things than simply entertaining an audience. Boyle tells his story most masterfully, illustrating principles and inspiring his audience to think. He leaves us a poignant film with a powerful message of hope, and redemption, something we all seek.

This film manages to redeem Hollywood in the eyes of people who feared it long lost in a dark sea of clichés and predictability. Boyle shows us that artists still work in the Hollywood studios and production facilities. These artists show their capability to produce art; real art that inspires you to look at the deeper aspects of life and the world around you. 127 Hours delivers much-needed breath of fresh air for anyone who realizes the capability of film. It proves that masters of the craft still live on this earth, and still bless us with timeless masterpieces that we will never forget.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1542344/
[/tscii:f8327ec765]

raghavendran
1st November 2010, 03:57 PM
nomination for another oscar uruthi! :D 8-)

Benny Lava
1st November 2010, 05:13 PM
Alfred Yash Rahman! :banghead:

Epdi ellaam peru vekraanga pa :sigh2:

lancelot
1st November 2010, 05:32 PM

hehe. i noticed that. however, since his review was really good, i decided not to make an issue of it. :)

Dragun
1st November 2010, 11:18 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Combination of Alfred Newman, Yash Chopra, and AR Rahman!

"R" eppadi Yash-ukku vandhuchu?

satissh_r
2nd November 2010, 10:25 AM
http://www.filmmusicmag.com/?p=6418

:notworthy:

lancelot
2nd November 2010, 10:58 AM
[tscii:b941989fdc]
http://www.filmmusicmag.com/?p=6418

:notworthy:
"Though the composer has never quite done a score like this, it would be a huge mistake to think of Rahman as a musician only good for handling “Indian” soundtracks. For the dozens of scores he’s composed for his equally prolific native cinema, Rahman’s also given contemporary flair to such pictures as the battle-ready England of Elizabeth The Golden Age and the Chinese action of Warriors of Heaven and Earth. So it isn’t too much of a stretch to throw him into the recesses of a California canyon to see what he digs out of it."

:notworthy: :notworthy: [/tscii:b941989fdc]

ajaybaskar
2nd November 2010, 04:06 PM
Watch Nearly 6 Minutes Of 127 HOURS

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Watch-Nearly-6-Minutes-Of-127-Hours-21485.html

ajaybaskar
2nd November 2010, 08:05 PM
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/127-hours-music-from-motion/id399794003?ign-mpt=uo%3D4

ajaybaskar
2nd November 2010, 08:17 PM
The BFI London Film Festival bowed out in style last Thursday with the premiere of Danny Boyle’s ‘127 Hours’, a story about Aron Ralston, an adrenaline-junkie always on the lookout for another adventure. Played by the talented James Franco, ‘127 Hours’ is based on Aron Ralston’s true story of an exciting escapade gone horribly wrong.

When carefree Ralston is travelling through Utah’s canyons equipped with only a day’s worth of water and food, a digital camera, climbing equipment and a cheap pen-knife, he begins a journey that could cost him his life. After an exhilarating introduction to the daredevil Ralston, he finds himself trapped in an isolated canyon when a fallen boulder crashes on his arm. Having told no one his whereabouts, Ralston realises it might take weeks before another soul stumbles across him.

As spectators to the five days it takes Ralston to bravely figure out a way to free himself, we are taken on a journey of a man who believes he is dying, and his ability to deal with being starved, secluded and trapped.

Ralston’s only company is his digital camera, a fundamental feature in the production which used the footage from his time trapped in the canyon as a vital source for the screenplay’s recreation and Franco’s accurate performance.

Although such an incredible true story, the film may sound like it has the potential to be both gory (which it is at times) and tedious. However, Danny Boyle surpasses these negative expectations by delivering another visually pleasing, entertaining movie with an upbeat ending and an amazing soundtrack.

The cinematography of this movie is unmistakably Boyle-esque; the camera angles and sounds make you feel as if you can see, hear and touch every aspect of this setting. Although there has been a lot of hype regarding audience’s queasy reactions to the more graphic scenes, Boyle makes it easy to know when to turn away.

To focus on the gore involved in this film would be to overlook the energy and will of Ralston’s character and the warm message behind such a tragic yet triumphant situation. As Ralston says deep into the movie, “this rock has been waiting for me my whole life” and as he recalls his family, friends, past love and the two friendly hikers he met before his accident, he figures out what’s important in his life and what more he has to offer.

Due to the nature of the film, Franco’s performance was vital to the success of its representation and he does a superb job of playing out the warmth and playfulness of Ralston’s character alongside the desperation, frustration and fortitude that allows Ralston to survive. This is not just a film based on a true story, it’s an inspiring film based on one man’s determination to survive.

http://www.endofshow.com/2010/11/02/bfi-london-film-festival-review-%E2%80%98127-hours%E2%80%99/[/tscii:7162068215]

ajaybaskar
2nd November 2010, 08:18 PM
http://movies.broadwayworld.com/article/Photo_Coverage_127_Hours_European_Premiere_54th_BF I_London_Film_Festival_20000101

ajaybaskar
2nd November 2010, 08:19 PM
One also can't help but admire A.R. Rahman's second musical collaboration with Boyle, creating a score that's at the same time different from "Slumdog" but also in line with the music of some of Boyle's best films. When the opening to Bill Withers' "Lovely Day" kicks in midway, it's hard not to be reminded of the use of Lou Reed's "A Perfect Day" in "Trainspotting" and it's a similarly pitch-perfect movie moment.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/reviewsnews.php?id=71305

raghavendran
2nd November 2010, 08:29 PM
One also can't help but admire A.R. Rahman's second musical collaboration with Boyle, creating a score that's at the same time different from "Slumdog" but also in line with the music of some of Boyle's best films. When the opening to Bill Withers' "Lovely Day" kicks in midway, it's hard not to be reminded of the use of Lou Reed's "A Perfect Day" in "Trainspotting" and it's a similarly pitch-perfect movie moment.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/reviewsnews.php?id=71305 :clap: :clap:

Sunil_M88
3rd November 2010, 02:24 AM
If I Rise - Dido & A. R. Rahman (From the movie "127 Hours") - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE3KA7DdhQQ

The wait is over... :)

Sunil_M88
3rd November 2010, 03:01 AM
Apparantly Amazon's online mp3 of '127 Hours' OST is only for US. So for those who have not heard the soundtrack yet, all tracks have been uploaded to youtube by vissagan.

My first listen was R.I.P. Need to dwell on others yet, but doubt I will today as R.I.P is so patronising. I believe the humming is by Harshdeep Kaur. Will be visiting Acid Darbari next, if I ever depart from R.I.P :musicsmile:

Yathu
3rd November 2010, 03:43 AM
If I Rise - Dido & A. R. Rahman (From the movie "127 Hours") - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE3KA7DdhQQ

The wait is over... :)

What does ARR say after "If I rise"? I can't make it out.

Need to listen to the other tracks!

Benny Lava
3rd November 2010, 10:18 AM
I am trying to stay away from the OST before watching the film... it is very tempting :sigh2:

littlemaster1982
3rd November 2010, 10:21 AM
Same same :sigh2:

ajaybaskar
3rd November 2010, 10:49 AM
http://www.reelviews.net/php_review_template.php?identifier=2206

Although 127 Hours bears little resemblance to Slumdog Millionaire, it is made by largely the same crew. Boyle wrote the screenplay with Simon Beaufoy. Anthony Dod Mantle did some of the camerawork. And A.R. Rahman, the famous Indian composer, wrote the score. It's a testimony to the talents of these men that, if not revealed, one would not guess the connection between the films.

ajaybaskar
3rd November 2010, 11:16 AM
ARR ON 127 HOURS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGTcpVY-MYU&feature=related

MADDY
3rd November 2010, 11:46 AM
if i rise - ennappa idhu :shock: ......flood gate of emotions opened up

satissh_r
3rd November 2010, 11:56 AM
Karthik's review

http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2010/11/03/127-hours-music-review-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-by-a-r-rahman-and-others/

ajaybaskar
3rd November 2010, 11:57 AM
Wher r these guys getting the links?

satissh_r
3rd November 2010, 12:02 PM
Wher r these guys getting the links?

I think youtube, let me ask him.

satissh_r
3rd November 2010, 12:21 PM
He got it from a friend in US :)

ajaybaskar
3rd November 2010, 12:21 PM
Ask him what prevents him from sharing the link.. :D

satissh_r
3rd November 2010, 03:27 PM
Ask him what prevents him from sharing the link.. :D

Kaasu koduthu amazonla download panna vechirukaru Ajay, namma eppadi kekkarathu :)

littlemaster1982
3rd November 2010, 03:48 PM
I heard CD is releasing on Nov 22nd.

Sunil_M88
3rd November 2010, 04:10 PM
I am completely spellbound by the OST. Epic stuff from ARR. Whole soundtrack
hits the sweet spot in terms of sound, ambiance, innovation, originality,
progressive thinking. ARR at his finest in many areas here.

- Love the use of contemporary synth soundscapes that are extremely soothing
and well textured. ARR "breaking the sound barrier" once again.
- Lots of "bells and whistles" in terms of ornamental sound effects and
beautiful sound design overall. ALl tracks well mixed and mastered.
- Whole OST has a very spiritual and yet intense feel.
- Lot of "silent" moments with great breathing room (pointed out to me by a
friend)
- Never heard a Hollywood OST quite like this before
- ARR's versatility and creativity in optimal high gear and now for the world
to bear witness again. While Slumdog was a bollywood to hollywood bridge so to
speak, 127 stands proud and high on its own Western feet.
- ARR not just a one film wonder in the West.....will surely get a lot more
respect and recognition with this OST within the film music industries here in
the West. He is here to stay and HOW!

ARR, I've run out of positives to say about you and your music.....no more words
left. You know how we all feel. - http://www.arrahmanfans.com/

For those who haven't heard the ost yet, stop being stubborn. Why be tempted to hear it, when you CAN hear it lol I certainly don't have the patience when it comes to Rahman ji.

I felt the Between heaven and earth nostalgia, but I believe this is a few notches above.

A.ANAND
3rd November 2010, 07:46 PM
I bought the OST of 127 Hours y'day in Rhapsody. Seriously, I had tears running, by the time I finished hearing the complete OST. I listened it in the train while going home from my work and had tough time to hide my tears in the train :-). Specially R.I.P, Acid Darbari & If I Rise was so touching & moving. The last 25 seconds in R.I.P was oh my god, will make every nerve running through the body to react. It was so very intense & I felt like gallons of fresh blood started flowing inside me. I listened to that last 25 seconds in R.I.P almost 10 times instantly.

WoW. Yes, 127 Hours carries full of WoW factor. I've listened to the complete OST almost 3 times now and I don't feel like jumping even 1 single track, which is huge and I can see the impact the score can make on every listener. Should we call it an intensifying & a thumping score?. Seriously this is one of the best scores I've heard in recent times. Truly liberating in every sense and I just cannot wait anymore to watch the movie. AR has not only given music but has also given a lot of visual interpretation in the score itself. Spellbound !!!!

Even i'm running out of words to praise the genius. After all, I'm a very ordinary person who at the most can only bow my head to the extraordinary human being like AR, who has been the inspiration to billions like us here.

Needless to say, 127 Hours will make massive ripples again in the Oscars for sure.

-arryg

A.ANAND
3rd November 2010, 07:47 PM
one more shot review frm.arrfyg

I am completely spellbound by the OST. Epic stuff from ARR. Whole soundtrack hits the sweet spot in terms of sound, ambiance, innovation, originality, progressive thinking. ARR at his finest in many areas here.

- Love the use of contemporary synth soundscapes that are extremely soothing and well textured. ARR "breaking the sound barrier" once again.
- Lots of "bells and whistles" in terms of ornamental sound effects and beautiful sound design overall. ALl tracks well mixed and mastered.
- Whole OST has a very spiritual and yet intense feel.
- Lot of "silent" moments with great breathing room (pointed out to me by a friend)
- Never heard a Hollywood OST quite like this before
- ARR's versatility and creativity in optimal high gear and now for the world to bear witness again. While Slumdog was a bollywood to hollywood bridge so to speak, 127 stands proud and high on its own Western feet.
- ARR not just a one film wonder in the West.....will surely get a lot more respect and recognition with this OST within the film music industries here in the West. He is here to stay and HOW!

ARR, I've run out of positives to say about you and your music.....no more words left. You know how we all feel.

A.ANAND
3rd November 2010, 07:48 PM
For those who cant wait to listen to 127 Hours check out this links

Acid Darbari- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WBgDUcowSQ
If I Rise- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWMuo9Bc0ww
Liberation Begins- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKsuWXy62Gk
Liberation in A Dream - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAg5LFkcE9I
Liberation- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGiInE1-fZw
R.I.P.- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xxqlvpNLr0
The Canyon- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCMVzgJvioM
Touch of the Sun- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lgpEDeWvXc

-arryg

sathya_1979
4th November 2010, 08:34 PM
For those who cant wait to listen to 127 Hours check out this links

Acid Darbari- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WBgDUcowSQ
If I Rise- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWMuo9Bc0ww
Liberation Begins- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKsuWXy62Gk
Liberation in A Dream - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAg5LFkcE9I
Liberation- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGiInE1-fZw
R.I.P.- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xxqlvpNLr0
The Canyon- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCMVzgJvioM
Touch of the Sun- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lgpEDeWvXc

-arryg

I managed to download the songs as mp3 from youuuuuuuuuuuuuuttttttttuuuuuuuuuubeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

:lol: :wink: :mrgreen: :clap: :notworthy: :rotfl: :lol2: :boo: :redjump: :bluejump: :cry2: :fishgrin: :froggrin: :omg: :musicsmile: :swinghead: :smokesmirk: :smokesmile: :ty: :victory: :yes: :cool2: :cry3: :2thumbsup: :frightened: :noteeth: :cheer: :happydance: :shoot: :pink:

sathya_1979
4th November 2010, 09:44 PM
As of now Acid Darbari (yaaro thummittE irukka maadhiri oru effect varudhu) and Liberation running in loops!

sureshmehcnit
6th November 2010, 01:22 PM
127 Hours Score Review

http://www.backgroundscore.com/2010/11/127-hours-score-review.html

theepr
6th November 2010, 11:33 PM
dear Anand,thanx. amazing reviews and it is very true.....ARR is confirms again and again.....such an incredible moments to hear like this. god is great always.

expectations for OSCAR moments again.

Dragun
7th November 2010, 12:23 PM
Tried to wait for the CD, but couldn't resist listening to Acid Darbari. Darbari Kanada is such a great raga, and ARR has used it brilliantly with the Haken Continuum fingerboard here.

ajaybaskar
8th November 2010, 11:09 AM
PM me the links if available

satissh_r
8th November 2010, 11:38 AM
PM me the links if available

Done, check your PM :)

ajaybaskar
8th November 2010, 11:51 AM
Satissh :ty:

Mahen
8th November 2010, 04:11 PM
Enaku? :twisted:

ajaybaskar
8th November 2010, 04:18 PM
The link is not working. Mahenku pm panra endha punniyavaanaga irundhaalum enakkum anuppunga..

satissh_r
8th November 2010, 05:25 PM
The link is not working. Mahenku pm panra endha punniyavaanaga irundhaalum enakkum anuppunga..

Sorry Ajay, nethu naan download pannum pothu it was fine only. Ippa enna achunnu theriyala :(

satissh_r
8th November 2010, 05:33 PM
Ajay, PMed you a new link, please check and let me know.

lancelot
8th November 2010, 05:34 PM

Satissh, please PM me the link too :)

satissh_r
8th November 2010, 05:42 PM

Satissh, please PM me the link too :)

Done Lance! Message still in my outbox, not sure why..

ajaybaskar
8th November 2010, 06:05 PM
Satissh,

If time permits, pls zip all the files (atleast ARR tracks) and upload it in mediafire. Romba punniyama povum.. :-)

satissh_r
8th November 2010, 06:08 PM
Doing that now Ajay, Mudinjathum link anuparen :)

ajaybaskar
8th November 2010, 06:10 PM
Oorukku oru Satissh irundhaa, naattula mazhai kottokottunu kottum.. MGR vazhi vandha Satisshku :clap:

krkanna
8th November 2010, 07:39 PM
-No download links pls-

sathya_1979
8th November 2010, 07:49 PM
AB, PMed u the link for 8 tracks.

Yathu
8th November 2010, 11:31 PM
Can I have the link too? Pretty please. :D I've been listening on YouTube all this time.

krkanna, don't worry all of us will be buying the album as soon as it becomes available to us!

littlemaster1982
9th November 2010, 12:10 AM
Yathu,

When is the film releasing in UK? I thought the film was getting released this weekend :?

P.S: Krkanna actually posted the dl link and it was deleted by mods :P What you are seeing there is moderator's note ;)

Yathu
9th November 2010, 05:20 AM
:lol: I thought he was an anti piracy campaigner. My bad. :oops:

It's supposedly getting released on January 7th in the UK:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1542344/releaseinfo

We have to wait ages. It is getting released in the US this fri! I think a very similar thing happened with Slumdog Millionaire (Nov US and Jan UK). I don't see why they can't release it simultaneously. The soundtracks also not available on iTunes here yet! :(

Mahen
9th November 2010, 06:22 AM
Pm me link pls :)

lancelot
9th November 2010, 11:14 AM
the continuum fingerboard in Acid Darbari is absolutely stunning!

ajaybaskar
9th November 2010, 12:12 PM
Without underplaying James Franco and Danny Boyle, the real stars of the film are Glenn Freemantle (the sound editor) and A.R. Rahman (the composer of the original score). Without these two, the movie would have played out entirely differently.

With an aggressive sound design and an equally aggressive score, the film demands your attention with every sound effect and note heard.

http://media.www.depauliaonline.com/media/storage/paper1414/news/2010/11/08/Entertainment/Franco.Shines.In.127.Hours-3955368.shtml

A.ANAND
10th November 2010, 07:46 AM
[tscii:824ef3f863]"127 hours" enters "Original Song" category in contention for OSCARS

http://incontention.com/2010/11/05/listen-to-dido-and-a-r-rahmans-if-i-rise-from-127-hours/

Music
(Original Score)

“How to Train Your Dragon”
“Inception”
“The King's Speech”
“Never Let Me Go”
“127 Hours”

Music
(Original Song)

“127 Hours”
“Tangled”
“Tangled”
“Toy Story 3”
“Waiting for Superman
[/tscii:824ef3f863]

Sunil_M88
12th November 2010, 05:20 AM
R.I.P and Acid Darbari - Approximately as abundant in holiness as the Bombay Theme, but still lack a slight bit of soul in comparison. Nothing can overtake the Bombay theme...

Nevertheless R.I.P and Acid Darbari still give me the chills and are the most divine of listens in recent times.

raghavendran
12th November 2010, 09:17 AM
127 HOURS' - MOVIE REVIEW
Home > Visitor Column
By Naveen Varadarajan
The views expressed in this column are that of the writer. Behindwoods.com doesn't hold responsible for its content.
Release Date: November 5, 2010
MPAA Rating: R
Official Site: http://www.127hoursmovie.com/
Director: Danny Boyle
Starring: Amber Tamblyn, Clemence Poesy, Darin Southam, Fenton Quinn, James Franco, Kate Burton, Kate Mara, Lizzy Caplan, Norman Lehnert
Genre: Drama (You will not agree?)

If you thought '127 hours' would be a roller-coaster ride, you are in for a disappointment.

Story Line - 127 Hours is the true story of mountain climber Aron Ralston's remarkable adventure to save himself after a fallen boulder crashes on his arm and traps him in an isolated canyon in Utah. Over the next five days Ralston examines his life and survives the elements to finally discover he has the courage and the

wherewithal to extricate himself by any means necessary, scale a 65 foot wall and hike over eight miles before he is finally rescued. Throughout his journey, Ralston recalls friends, lovers, family, and the two hikers he met before his accident. Will they be the last two people he ever had the chance to meet? [Courtesy: Fox Searchlight]

Theatrical Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba1IhHAqLgw

Analysis - Wafer-thin Storyline - A True Story based on the Book "Between a Rock and a Hard Place' by Aron Ralston, Experimental 'Screenplay styles' for a rather very Predictable Screenplay by Danny Boyle and his Constant, Simon Beaufoy , Good Direction by Danny Boyle and with some Top-Notch Casting makes his job easier (compared to Debutants in SlumDog Millionaire)

Coming to Casting, James Franco (as Aron Ralston) is Charming, Kate Mara (as Kristy) and Amber Tamblyn (as Megan) are okay in their Cameos. Others are fine and dont have much to perform in this "One-Man Mission".

Decent Background Score by A.R. Rahman (variations of the starting bit of Usure Poguthey-Raavan & Oru Poiyyavathu-Jodi are used in 2 important scenes). Silence is used powerfully, when needed. Songs are weaved into the Background Score. Song by Dido and A.R. Rahman is an impressive number - 'For all you Jai Ho! fans, You cant have a Jai Ho!, Please!'. Glenn Freemantle's Sound Design is ordinary.

Impressive Cinematography by Danny Boyle's another Constant Anthony Dod Mantle and Enrique Chediak - be it the Orangish Canyons or the Bluish Waters, Compositions are just Amazing, Proper utilization of jibs, Steadicams are a plus.

Editing by Jon Harris is okay. Movie could have been a bit shorter and Tighter.

Costumes by Suttirat Anne Larlarb are okay.

'127 Hours' has some Rich Production Values. Thanks to Suttirat Anne Larlarb.

Art Direction by Christopher R. DeMuri and Set Decoration by Les Boothe are interesting and compliments the rich production values.

Stunts by Jeff Danoff are well done.

Visual Effects are good and worth it. The Storm-like sequence is an example. Adam Gascoyne, Visual Effects Supervisor and his team deserves special applause. Special Effects Team has done a neat job.

Rest of the Crew members also earns a special mention for working on this movie which requires a lot of risk, hardwork and determination.

Verdict - It is a Richly made Documentary film.

Rating - I am going with 2.75/5

Thanks,
Naveen Varadarajan.
youthpowerinnovations@gmail.com

http://www.behindwoods.com/features/visitors-1/127-hours-review-10-11-10.html

ajaybaskar
12th November 2010, 05:36 PM
[tscii:6fe9a58d4f]And then there’s A.R. Rahman’s finely calibrated score, which is a breathtaking thing in itself.

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/film/story/2010/11/10/127-hours-review.html

Combined with a beguiling score created by AR Rahman (Slumdog Millionaire, 2009) that embodies this incredible tale, 127 Hours is a must watch.
http://tribune.com.pk/story/71445/film-review-best-of-the-rest/

On top of everything else, A.R. Rahman created an outstanding soundtrack, enhancing the dramatic and suspenseful aspects of the film. The music pumps up the audience while driving the search for greater meaning behind Ralston’s story. Personally, I can’t get Free Blood’s song, “Never Hear Surf Music Again,” out of my head.

http://www.cavalierdaily.com/2010/11/11/stuck-for-the-better/

Composer A.R. Rahman’s soundtrack mounts the same clanging assault on the ears as in the earlier film,

http://guide.thehoya.com/?q=node/626

Most critical to getting through the ordeal, though—both for Aron and the audience—is the sense of triumph that accompanies it. Galloping music (courtesy of Slumdog’s Oscar-winning composer A. R. Rahman) is followed by a moment of quiet when Aron is finally free; then there’s the harsh but welcome sunlight and a quickening soundtrack again. It’s joyful and cathartic, and a cinematic experience you won’t soon forget.

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/articles/40016/127-hours-and-unstoppable-reviewed-a-lively-unmovable-rock-and/

Music is an equally important factor to 127 Hours' effectiveness as a movie. Returning collaborator A.R. Rahman (Slumdog Millionaire) chose to craft a heavily guitar-based score. In particular, the use of Rahman's score in the finale was instrumental in triggering a response from the audience, according to Boyle.

http://www.diamondbackonline.com/diversions/jack-of-all-genres-1.1769677

http://www.brandonsun.com/entertainment/breaking-news/survival-films-like-127-hours-not-easy-for-queasy-audiences-shaken-by-gritty-realism-107281613.html?thx=y

http://www.exclaim.ca/Reviews/Film/127_hours-directed_by_danny_boyle_2
[/tscii:6fe9a58d4f]

ajaybaskar
13th November 2010, 08:37 PM
Liberation track is out of the world!!!

Only this man can compose such wonders.. :clap:

A.ANAND
14th November 2010, 06:07 PM
zans zimmer's inception kadumayana potti to thalavar's 127hour innu sollarangga!

baba88
14th November 2010, 11:55 PM
It would be cool if ARR gets 2 nominations again, but i dont think he will win again.

satissh_r
15th November 2010, 08:00 AM
It would be cool if ARR gets 2 nominations again, but i dont think he will win again.

I think he'll get nominations in both categories :D

A.ANAND
15th November 2010, 09:41 AM
but win pannalum achiriya paduvatharkku onnum illa illaya??

SoftSword
16th November 2010, 12:51 AM
enakkum links pls...

A.ANAND
20th November 2010, 11:57 AM
CD Review: 127 HOURS Original Soundtrack

A.R. Rahman hears a new sound for survival in Danny Boyle's latest film
Grade: A

http://assignmentx.com/2010/cd-review-127-hours-original-soundtrack/

rajasaranam
22nd November 2010, 08:43 PM
...த்த செதறடிச்சுட்டான்! பொறாமையா இருந்தாலும் சொல்லித்தான் ஆகனும். சில வருடங்களுக்குள்ளான ரஹ்மானின் இசை தொகுப்புகளில் ஆகச்சிறந்தது இதுவே. கிராண்ட் கான்யான் கன் முன்னெ விரிகிறது. படம் பார்க்க வேண்டும் என ஆவலைத் தூண்டுகிறது. பாயலின் அருகாமை ரஹ்மானை உனர்வெழுச்சியின் உச்சத்துக்கு அழைத்து செல்கிறது போலும். one of exotic, meditative scores I've heard in recent times. :thumbsup: Hope the association between Boyle-Rahman continues :)

littlemaster1982
22nd November 2010, 08:44 PM
Woww, that's some praise!! Thanks Rajasaranam for your short review :)

ajaybaskar
25th November 2010, 11:05 AM
http://www.awardsdaily.com/2010/10/best-song-and-score-is-the-academy-not-cool-enough-for-reznor-and-ross/

Siv.S
25th November 2010, 01:49 PM
Link pls :(

ajaybaskar
25th November 2010, 01:52 PM
4 wat?

Siv.S
25th November 2010, 02:02 PM
:ty: ajay :ty:

ajaybaskar
25th November 2010, 02:05 PM
Siva,

Listen to 'Liberation', 'Acid Darbari' and 'If i rise'. You'l get more reasons to feel proud 4 being an ARR fan.

Siv.S
25th November 2010, 02:22 PM
Siva,

Listen to 'Liberation', 'Acid Darbari' and 'If i rise'. You'l get more reasons to feel proud 4 being an ARR fan.

Sure ... :D

thanks again :D

A.ANAND
26th November 2010, 11:50 AM
Predictions For This Year's Original Score Nominations

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/daily/article.cfm/articleID/6583/

A.ANAND
28th November 2010, 11:56 AM
if i rise -my predictions,this will be win best original score nominations!

ajaybaskar
28th November 2010, 12:35 PM
http://www.awardsdaily.com/FYC/gallery/2010-11/photo.php?id=2044

A.ANAND
28th November 2010, 04:22 PM
win panna ella vitha thaguthyum ulla song ithu!first time intha song ketta bothau konjam dissapointing aachu but now!osum...

raghavendran
11th December 2010, 09:16 AM
ARR ON SCORING FOR 127 HRS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-kGF9EwJwg&feature=player_embedded
SORRY IF POSTED EARLIER

ajaybaskar
11th December 2010, 03:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-kGF9EwJwg

Sunil_M88
11th December 2010, 11:49 PM
Great clip indeed. Love the way he attributes his hard work behind composing for films to making jingles. You can't be more grounded and he's proved that time and time again by not forgetting his roots.

Yathu
12th December 2010, 12:30 AM
Yeah he looks really fresh faced and happy in this interview. :)

kid-glove
14th December 2010, 07:41 PM
Nominated for Golden Globes I hear.

united07
14th December 2010, 07:53 PM
[tscii:63068da692]BEST ORIGINAL SCORE – MOTION PICTURE

a. ALEXANDRE DESPLAT THE KING’S SPEECH

b. DANNY ELFMAN ALICE IN WONDERLAND

c. A.R. RAHMAN 127 HOURS

d. TRENT REZNOR, THE SOCIAL NETWORK

ATTICUS ROSS

e. HANS ZIMMER INCEPTION

[/tscii:63068da692]

SoftSword
14th December 2010, 08:04 PM
thirumbavum indha hans zimmer koodave vilayadanuma... boring...

Ramakrishna
14th December 2010, 08:14 PM
assault-a pochu

ajaybaskar
14th December 2010, 10:07 PM
vaazhtha vayadhillai. Vanangukiren!

Yathu
14th December 2010, 11:21 PM
Excellent! :D

satissh_r
15th December 2010, 08:16 AM
Thalaivar's reaction to nomination -

A.R. Rahman, nommed for his score for "127 Hours," went through his own endurance test during the past year as his career took off following his "Slumdog Millionaire" breakthrough.

"It's been a very stressful year with touring and personal problems like my daughter having surgery and then doing the score," Rahman said. "It's definitely a relief to get this nomination. I will enjoy it today."

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118029030/

ArulprakasH
15th December 2010, 08:43 AM
ARR... Golden Globe... Super... :cheer: :boo: :bluejump: :redjump:

ajaybaskar
15th December 2010, 10:41 AM
AR Rahman wins Golden Globe nomination for 127 Hours
Press Trust of India
Tuesday, December 14, 2010 (Los Angeles)

Oscar winning Indian musician AR Rahman is in the race to win his second Golden Globe after being nominated in the Best Original Score category for his music in the Danny Boyle directed film 127 Hours today.

The 44-year-old singer-composer had won his first Golden Globe in 2009 in the same category for Slumdog Millionaire, the Mumbai based potboiler which was again directed by British filmmaker Boyle.

Rahman's music in the film, starring James Franco as real-life mountain climber Aron Ralston, who cut off his arm to escape from beneath a boulder after being trapped for more than five days, had received good reviews for it's "haunting tracks" and "wonderful crescendos."

The soundtrack includes If I Rise, a collaboration between Rahman and American popstar Dido.

The nominations to the coveted award were announced today and Rahman's competition includes Alexandre Desplat who was nominated for The King's Speech, Danny Elfman who was nominated for Alice in Wonderland, Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross who were jointly nominated for The Social Network and Hans Zimmer who won a nod for his score in Inception.

The musician, known as the 'Mozart of Madras' had won two Oscars for his score in Slumdog Millionaire at the 2009 Oscars, taking the film's total haul to eight.

His song Na Na from his Hollywood debut venture 'Couple's Retreat', was longlisted in the 'Best Original Song' category at the 2010 Oscars but failed to win a nomination.

Rahman, who was honoured with a Padma Bhushan this year, had enjoyed a golden run at the 52nd Grammy Awards, where he had again bagged two gramophones for his music in the Slumdog Millionaire.

Read more at: http://movies.ndtv.com/movie_story.aspx?Section=Movies&ID=ENTEN20100163269&subcatg=MOVIESINDIA&keyword=music&nid=72624?trendingnow&cp&cp

ajaybaskar
15th December 2010, 10:47 AM
http://www.thenational.ae/arts-culture/film/ar-rahman-and-daft-punk-on-film-scores

ajaybaskar
15th December 2010, 10:51 AM
http://carmenrizzo.com/

He is working on a remix of "If I rise" currently according to his twitter feed.

Anxious for a new week to begin. Back to finishing the Dido/ AR Rahman remix. Will be done by Friday for sure!

17 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

ajaybaskar
15th December 2010, 12:49 PM
Even though the music has been nominated for GG, it has not generated the buzz that SDM managed. SDM was literally the frontrunner on all the award functions. But thats not the case here. :-(

ajaybaskar
15th December 2010, 05:13 PM
[tscii:bd3a41d292]A.R. Rahmin found he earned a best original score nod for 127 Hours while having lunch in Turkey. “I got a call from my wife. She sent me a message. She was really excited.” Rahmin, who won in 2008 for Slumdog Millionaire, tells The Hollywood Reporter: “I think getting a nomination for the second time is very exciting… The first nomination was unreal too… all the recognition. And then one year past… getting the same nomination. It seems unreal!” Rahmin says he has no plans to celebrate the awards show yet, but will continue to focus on his work. “I’m really excited. It gives me a lot of responsibility to work even harder and with more energy.” – Lindsay Powers

http://www.goldenglobes.org/blog/2010/12/what-the-golden-globe-nominees-are-saying/

Rahmin?? :banghead: [/tscii:bd3a41d292]

Mahen
15th December 2010, 09:34 PM
Even though the music has been nominated for GG, it has not generated the buzz that SDM managed. SDM was literally the frontrunner on all the award functions. But thats not the case here. :-(

And i dont think he'll be given back to back awards even if 127hours deserves it :roll:

SoftSword
15th December 2010, 09:46 PM
epdi back to back agum... naduvula oru varusham break irukkae...

baba88
16th December 2010, 03:38 AM
I just found out that the legendary Hans Zimmer has only won one oscar in his career. Thats shocking when you think about all the great scores he has done so far.

Mahen
16th December 2010, 05:25 AM
epdi back to back agum... naduvula oru varusham break irukkae...

slumdog was last year rite? :roll:

Yathu
16th December 2010, 05:40 AM
I just found out that the legendary Hans Zimmer has only won one oscar in his career. Thats shocking when you think about all the great scores he has done so far.

It'll probably be his Inception that takes the awards this year. The score was just amazing and really worked for the film.

But, I haven't seen 127 hours yet! Getting nominated is a big achivement in itself. (I know people say that to console themselves, but it is the truth! :D )

ajaybaskar
16th December 2010, 07:55 AM
Mahen,

SDM was the previous year. Last yr it was 'Up'.

AudazJay
16th December 2010, 08:54 AM
Even if it was a consecutive year, there's still chances for AR to win it. IIRC, Howard Shore won the award two years in a row.

Mahen
16th December 2010, 10:29 AM
Mahen,

SDM was the previous year. Last yr it was 'Up'.

Thanks ajay :oops:

ajaybaskar
16th December 2010, 10:30 AM
But in one way u r right. ARR recvd the award in 2009. But the awards were for the films released in 2008.

ajaybaskar
16th December 2010, 11:48 AM
[tscii:0137be4909]If I Rise in Oscar longlist

“Alice” from “Alice in Wonderland”
“Forever One Love” from “Black Tulip”
“Freedom Song” from “Black Tulip”
“Bound to You” from “Burlesque”
“Welcome to Burlesque” from “Burlesque”
“You Haven’t Seen the Last of Me” from “Burlesque”
“There’s a Place for Us” from “The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of
the Dawn Treader”
“Coming Home” from “Country Strong”
“Me and Tennessee” from “Country Strong”
“Despicable Me” from “Despicable Me”
“Prettiest Girls” from “Despicable Me”
“Dear Laughing Doubters” from “Dinner for Schmucks”
“Better Days” from “Eat Pray Love”
“If You Run” from “Going the Distance”
“Darkness before the Dawn” from “Holy Rollers”
“Sticks & Stones” from “How to Train Your Dragon”
“Le Gris” from “Idiots and Angels”
“Chanson Illusionist” from “The Illusionist”
“Never Say Never” from “The Karate Kid”
“To the Sky” from “Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole”
“What If” from “Letters to Juliet”
“Life during Wartime” from “Life during Wartime”
“Made in Dagenham” from “Made in Dagenham”
“Little One” from “Mother and Child”
“Be the One” from “The Next Three Days”
“If I Rise” from “127 Hours”
“When You See Forever” from “The Perfect Game”
“I Remain” from “Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time”
“Dream Big” from “Pure Country 2: The Gift”
“How I Love You” from “Ramona and Beezus”
“Darling I Do” from “Shrek Forever After”
“Noka Oi” from “Six Days in Paradise”
“This Is a Low” from “Tamara Drewe”
“I See the Light” from “Tangled”
“Rise” from “3 Billion and Counting”
“We Belong Together” from “Toy Story 3″
“Eclipse: All Yours” from “The Twilight Saga: Eclipse”
“Nothing” from “Tyler Perry’s Why Did I Get Married Too”
“A Better Life” from “Unbeaten”
“Shine” from “Waiting for ‘Superman’”
“The Reasons Why” from “Wretches & Jabberers[/tscii:0137be4909]

SoftSword
16th December 2010, 03:57 PM
But in one way u r right. ARR recvd the award in 2009. But the awards were for the films released in 2008.

the same will happen as the awards would be given in 2011.

ajaybaskar
16th December 2010, 04:13 PM
http://www.hindustantimes.com/Rahman-in-Oscar-race-for-127-Hours/Article1-639140.aspx

AudazJay
17th December 2010, 09:44 AM
Gosh, hope he'll be nominated for the Oscars too! :D

ajaybaskar
17th December 2010, 12:32 PM
http://www.ikeptmyeyesopenfor127hours.com/

lancelot
17th December 2010, 02:47 PM
does anyone have a good copy of the whole soundtrack?

Reality
19th December 2010, 02:02 PM
Theatre : MoE Cinestar (Dubai Intl. Film Festival)
Date & Time : 18th December 2010, 3:15 PM
Just back after watching "127 Hours" based on a true incident of a miraculous survival, which has double-Oscar winner & India's pride Allah Rakha Rahman and ace film-maker Danny Boyle joining hands after "Slumdog Millionaires" which swept the Oscars in 2009!

Plot

Based on a true story of a miraculous and terrific survival, Aron Ralston played by James Franco, a mountain climber, who gets trapped in Grand Canyon near Utah for 127 hours or just over 5 days, after a boulder crashes on to his right hand! He seeks various means to disencumber himself from that trap throughout these 5 days where he also canvasses his life and recollects about his family and friends! The rest of the movie is about how he survives and gets on with his inspiring life after having to amputate his right hand to survive from the boulder!
Eventhough the whole movie is happening in a very isolated and lonely tract, this terrific tale is surprisingly entertaining... Danny Boyle amazes us yet again with his masterful narration here too where 95% of the story is told inside an isolated mountain with just one individual who is fighting for his survival! Danny Boyle who is a master of crisp editing and quick cuts, uses this talent to full use in this movie. Boyle engages such unique proficiencies for the film, making it a mixture of beautiful, gory, disturbing, and intuitive. Simon Beaufoy who has co-written the screenplay with Danny Boyle, from the memoirs of Aaron Ralston does an incredible job in engaging us throughout the movie and in making us feel the pain and joy of the survivor!

James Franco, as the real life character Aaron was stupendous in terms of bringing out his pain, tension, hopes and never-die spirit to the fullest, who deserves a standing ovation! Cinematography is another factor which mesmerizes us by depicting the horror and pain so breathtakingly brilliant which is flawless! There are some gruesomely gory scenes of self amputation which may disturb you, but don't let that miss you this inspiring tale of survival and near-death experiences! Danny Boyle also conveys a vivid message about the importance of precedences in our life because when it comes down to do or die situations, the most important things in the short lives of ours are recognized.

For us, this film becomes even more special as Allah Rakha Rahman, our own Isai Puyal handles the music for the second time in a Danny Boyle film, which is completely in contrast to "Slumdog Millionaire", but suits the mood of the film so well that it makes this adventure more intense and gripping, in short yet another uber sexy oeuvre from the mozart of Madras... "Acid Darbari" and "If I Rise" are the picks of the soundtrack which haunts you entrancingly...!

On the whole, Danny Boyle brings out yet another inspirational masterwork which is by-far the best movie of 2010 to come out! Do watch it in theater for the soul-stirring music of ARR and awe-inspiring cinematography!

Verdict - Highly inspiring...Outstanding!
Rating - 9/10

http://www.snehasallapam.com/malayalam-movie-discussions/3677-127-hours-my-review.html

ajaybaskar
21st December 2010, 12:14 PM
http://imgur.com/5um83

ajaybaskar
22nd December 2010, 01:52 PM
Academy nixes four score contenders
Tuesday, 21 December, 2010 10:04 AM

'Black Swan,' 'True Grit,' 'Kids' and 'Fighter' deemed ineligible.

The scores for four contenders for Academy Awards have run afoul of music-branch rules and are being disqualified from Oscar consideration.

"Black Swan" and "True Grit" have been deemed ineligible as "scores diluted by the use of tracked themes or other pre-existing music," according to sources inside the Academy music-branch executive committee.

"The Kids Are All Right" and "The Fighter" are expected to be disqualified as scores "diminished in impact by the predominant use of songs," following another of the Acad's stringent music rules.

Composer Clint Mansell's "Black Swan" score, as largely adapted from Tchaikovsky's "Swan Lake," and Carter Burwell's "True Grit," as mostly based on 19th century hymns, are not sufficiently "original," the committee ruled last week.

"The Kids Are All Right" and "The Fighter" have original scores -- "Kids" by Burwell, "Fighter" by Michael Brook -- but both films are filled with songs, leaving the scores to play second fiddle much of the time.

Alexandre Desplat's "The King's Speech" has been ruled eligible despite some concerns by committee members that key moments of the film feature classical-music excerpts.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118029326

ajaybaskar
22nd December 2010, 02:01 PM
[tscii:4eecba7c53]127 HOURS: Awards and Nominations so far
CameronCook on December 2nd, 2010

Awards season is upon us: and with the sleepless nights of anticipation and celebratory clinking of champagne flutes come our annual Awards Posts. Here you can find all the nominations and awards won by Danny Boyle's 127 HOURS. Keep checking back for updates!

GOLDEN GLOBE AWARDS
Noms announced: Dec. 14th
Ceremony: Jan. 16th

Best Actor, James Franco
Best Score, A.R. Rahman
Best Screenplay, Simon Beaufoy & Danny Boyle

BROADCAST FILM CRITICS ASSOCIATION CRITICS' CHOICE MOVIE AWARDS
Noms announced: Dec. 13th
Ceremony: Jan. 14th

Best Picture
Best Actor, James Franco
Best Director, Danny Boyle
Best Adapted Screenplay, Simon Beaufoy and Danny Boyle
Best Cinematography, Anthony Dod Mantle & Enrique Chediak
Best Editing, Jon Harris
Best Sound
Best Song, "If I Rise" performed by Dido and A.R. Rahman

INDEPENDENT SPIRIT AWARDS
Noms announced: Nov. 30th
Ceremony: Feb. 26th

Best Feature
Best Male Lead, James Franco

SCREEN ACTORS GUILD AWARDS
Noms announced: Dec. 16th
Ceremony: Jan. 30th

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role, James Franco

INTERNATIONAL PRESS ACADEMY SATELLITE AWARDS
Noms announced: Dec. 1st
Ceremony: Dec. 19th

Motion Picture (Drama)
Director, Danny Boyle
Actor in a Motion Picture (Drama), James Franco
Screenplay (Adapted), Simon Beaufoy & Danny Boyle
Cinematography
Original Score
Original Song, "If I Rise"
Sound (Editing and Mixing)
Visual Effects

WASHINGTON AREA FILM CRITICS AWARDS
Announced: Dec. 6th

Nominations:
Best Film
Best Actor, James Franco
Best Adapted Screenplay, Danny Boyle and Simon Beaufoy
Best Cinematography
Best Score

DETROIT FILM CRITICS SOCIETY AWARDS
Noms announced: Dec. 10th
Winners announced: Dec. 16th

Wins:

Noms:
Best Film
Best Actor, James Franco

HOUSTON FILM CRITICS SOCIETY AWARDS
Noms announced: Dec. 11th

Best Actor, James Franco
Best Original Score, A.R. Rahman
Best Original Song, "If I Rise"

AFI AWARDS
Announced: Dec. 12th

Wins:
Top Ten Most Oustanding Motion PIctures of 2010

NEW YORK FILM CRITICS ONLINE AWARDS
Announced: Dec. 12th

Wins:
Best Actor, James Franco

SOUTHEASTERN FILM CRITIC ASSOCIATION AWARDS
Announced: Dec 13th

Wins:
Top Ten Films, 127 Hours

Runner-up:
Best Actor, James Franco

INDIANA FILM JOURNALISTS ASSOCIATION AWARDS
Announced: Dec. 13th

Wins:
Best Film of the Year (Top Ten)

Runner-up:
Best Actor, James Franco
Original Vision Award

ST. LOUIS FILM CRITICS ASSOCIATION AWARDS
Winners announced: Dec. 20th

Wins:
Best Actor, James Franco (runner-up)
Best Cinematography, Anthony Dod Mantle & Enrique Chediak (runner-up)
Special Merit Award (for best scene, cinematic technique or other memorable aspect or moment), In “127 Hours,” the zoom-up scene which begins with a tight shot on Aron (James Franco) as he is screaming and pulls out to a wide shot of a large land area, showing how isolated he was from other humans.

Noms:
Best Adapted Screenplay, Simon Baufoy & Danny Boyle
Moving the Medium Forward Awards (for technical/artistic innovative that advances the medium)

PHOENIX FILM CRITICS SOCIETY AWARDS

Best Picture
Best Actor, James Franco
Best Editing

SAN DIEGO FILM CRITICS SOCIETY AWARDS

Best Actor, James Franco
Best Editing, Jon Harris
Best Score, A.R. Rahman

LAS VEGAS FILM CRITICS SOCIETY SIERRA AWARDS
Announced: Dec. 16th

Wins:
Best Actor, James Franco

CHICAGO FILM CRITICS ASSOCIATION AWARDS
Noms announced: Dec. 17th

Best Actor, James Franco

LONDON CRITICS’ CIRCLE AWARDS
Noms announced: Dec. 21st
Ceremony: Feb. 10th

British Film of the Year
British Director of the Year, Danny Boyle[/tscii:4eecba7c53]

A.ANAND
23rd December 2010, 02:49 PM
ARR nominated for AWFJ EDA Awards

Best Film Music Or Score:

* 127 Hours - A.R. Rahman
* Black Swan - Clint Mansell
* Inception - Hans Zimmer
* The Social Network - Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross
* True Grit - Carter Burwell

http://awfj.org/eda-awards/2010-eda-awards-nominees/

SoftSword
23rd December 2010, 03:08 PM
konjam competition balamaa dhaan irukku...
but intensity of the theme of the movie could help.

A.ANAND
23rd December 2010, 03:32 PM
oscar or G.G nomination kedachale periya honour than illaya!but expetation-na konjam korichikitta nallathu!inception movie-kku kedakka vaippu konjam balamathan irukkum pola!

Benny Lava
23rd December 2010, 11:35 PM
What is more heart warming is the consistency with which the soundtrack is getting nominated in most awards! Kandipa sila pala virudhugal urudhi!

Yathu
24th December 2010, 01:37 AM
Carmen Rizzo (http://carmenrizzo.com/?page_id=12) remix of 'If I Rise':

http://soundcloud.com/carmenrizzo/if-i-rise-dido-ar-rahman-carmen-rizzo-remix

Sunil_M88
24th December 2010, 03:37 PM
The movie is releasing here (UK) on the the 5th of Jan, will share the experience in due time. Nearly all billboards and buses have been plastered with the movie poster. :)

Benny Lava
25th December 2010, 06:25 PM
The movie is releasing here (UK) on the the 5th of Jan, will share the experience in due time. Nearly all billboards and buses have been plastered with the movie poster. :)

Oh Cool! :cool2: I was wondering when it would release... I promised myself that I wouldn't listen to the complete soundtrack without watching the film.

Any news about the release dates elsewhere? :huh:

Benny Lava
25th December 2010, 06:28 PM
[tscii:21428e44d0]A review from IMDB:

"Can Hollywood, usually creating things for entertainment purposes only, create art? To create something of this nature, a director must approach it in a most meticulous manner, due to the delicacy of the process. Such a daunting task requires an extremely capable artist with an undeniable managerial capacity and an acutely developed awareness of each element of art in their films, the most prominent; music, visuals, script, and acting. These elements, each equally important, must succeed independently, yet still form a harmonious union, because this mixture determines the fate of the artist's opus. Though already well known amongst his colleagues for his notable skills at writing and directing, Danny Boyle emerges with his feature film directorial effort, 127 Hours. Proving himself already a master of the craft, Boyle managed to create one of the most recognizable independent releases in the history of Hollywood. 127 Hours defines a genre, defies the odds, compels the emotions, and brings an era of artistically influential films back to Hollywood. The story begins when a mountain climber becomes trapped under a boulder while canyoneering alone near Moab, Utah and must resort to desperate measures in order to survive. By creating the film's firm foundation, the meticulously chiseled screenplay paved the way for this film's success. Boyle outdoes himself with the phenomenal adaptation of the equally noteworthy true story. In which Providence itself demonstrates that we are susceptible to wayward mishaps. Though the film mirrors the real life ordeal in many ways, Boyle illustrates a focused objective of improving upon the areas where true events come up short, resulting in one of the best film transitions ever. While maintaining some of the poetic and moving dialogue of the novella, Boyle also proves that a film's score can generate a great deal of emotional response from its audience, as dialogue does. Boyle shows recognition for the film's needs by employing Rahman, who makes the gentle piano chords whisper softly to the viewer, as if a part of the scripted dialogue. Rahman lends himself to individualism and tends to drive more towards the unique in the realm of score composition. His effort in 127 Hours did not go unnoticed, as his score received an Berlin Silver Bear nomination in 2010. While unique and independent, Rahman's score never once intrudes on your concentration or distracts from the film. With work from vast array of talented scene designers, costume designers, composers, cinematographers, and various other Hollywood artists, the cast of 127 Hours had a strong foundation to work with. The marvelous cast of this film will dazzle you with some of the most convincing performances you will witness in a film. While James Franco shines as Aron Ralston, the true spectacle of acting lies within the plethora of amazing supporting actors who easily disappear into their roles. Most noticeable of these, the veteran film star Treat Williams, who portrays the elderly father figure. Williams, a man torn apart by hisown inner demons for so long that he finds himself attached to the past and the daily life he has lead. Each of these actors show a true dedication to their art, and a focused purpose in their motivations, creating a convincing setting that never once caters to anything unbelievable. With all of the aesthetic touches and attention to cinematic detail, the most beautiful part of the film lies within its thematic material, such as its focus on the human desires for the most abstract concepts, like hope and freedom. These themes, which concern things the human spirit undoubtedly yearns for, seem so intricately woven into the plot that it easily draws its audience in to its story. Though full of twists of unrelenting Fate, your heart will go out to these men as they display the most basic of human emotions, and deliver some of the most quotable lines in a film to date. Like a great novel, this film manages to succeed at greater things than simply entertaining an audience. Boyle tells his story most masterfully, illustrating principles and inspiring his audience to think. He leaves us a poignant film with a powerful message of hope, and redemption, something we all seek. This film manages to redeem Hollywood in the eyes of people who feared it long lost in a dark sea of clichés and predictability. Boyle shows us that artists still work in the Hollywood studios and production facilities. These artists show their capability to produce art; real art that inspires you to look at the deeper aspects of life and the world around you. 127 Hours delivers much-needed breath of fresh air for anyone who realizes the capability of film. It proves that masters of the craft still live on this earth, and still bless us with timeless masterpieces that we will never forget. "[/tscii:21428e44d0]

littlemaster1982
25th December 2010, 06:45 PM
I promised myself that I wouldn't listen to the complete soundtrack without watching the film.

Same here, but the wait is truly agonising :cry:

Sunil_M88
25th December 2010, 06:55 PM
I promised myself that I wouldn't listen to the complete soundtrack without watching the film.

Sorry guys but I'm not sure. I didn't even know when it was releasing here in the U.K. until I saw the posters 2 or 3 days ago.

A.ANAND
26th December 2010, 07:46 PM
[tscii:39138b90af]Composer A.R. Rahman & Director Danny Boyle Make Magic¡*Again.

http://divanee.com/2010/12/24/composer-a-r-rahman-director-danny-boyle-make-magic-again/[/tscii:39138b90af]

ajaybaskar
31st December 2010, 12:27 PM
Film releasing on Jan 28 in India.

SoftSword
31st December 2010, 12:58 PM

same here :cry: :)

littlemaster1982
1st January 2011, 07:14 PM
Film releasing on Jan 28 in India.

Great news :clap:

Benny Lava
8th January 2011, 11:53 PM
Enna pa, vera engayachun release aacha?

muzammil_fr
9th January 2011, 04:37 AM
Don't Expect so much, i don't like it very much this film.

K
9th January 2011, 07:03 AM
http://arumbavur.blogspot.com/2011/01/blog-post_06.html

rajasaranam
9th January 2011, 08:41 AM
ajaybaskar,

Where did you find the quote in your sig? Its true that the BGM evokes the feel 'to be one with the Canyon'. Only people who had visited the Grand Canyon can understand that. one of the best divine and spiritual places in the earth and ARR had brought that spirit in his music :thumbsup:

sathya_1979
9th January 2011, 09:37 AM
ajaybaskar,

Where did you find the quote in your sig? Its true that the BGM evokes the feel 'to be one with the Canyon'. Only people who had visited the Grand Canyon can understand that. one of the best divine and spiritual places in the earth and ARR had brought that spirit in his music :thumbsup:
RS, please refer to the post by K, just before your post. It is the link to a blog which contains the scanned copy of letter from Ralston to ARR.

Yathu
9th January 2011, 06:23 PM
Saw 127 Hours last night. What a great film! Emotional, funny, beautiful. ARRs score and where it was used was just perfect, didn't protrude into the film anywhere. It just seamlessly merged with it.

Especially liked the use of "The Canyon" piece when Aron Ralston thinks about his past and the people that have meant the most to him.

There was heavy use of Sigur Ros's "Festival" in the closing scenes. I went and listened to the whole track properly (bit of a biggie at over 9 mins!) after the film. A truly beautiful track, especially when it takes off around 04:38, which is also the part used in the film. Saying that, I couldn't help but wonder what ARR could've done with those scenes if given the opportunity!

Also, I don't think the exhilarating outro of "R.I.P" was used in the movie. Maybe I was too engrossed with what was going on, on screen, to notice? Probably the former though as I was specifically looking out for the end of "R.I.P"!

Ofcourse the "Liberation" tracks were all used superbly at crucial points in Aron's predicament.

A vocals only version of "If I Rise" was also used to great effect when Aron finds the strength/ motivation to do what he needed to do.

A variation of the intro of Usure Poguthe from Raavanan is used early on the movie. A bit of a pleasant surprise! Not sure why this didn't feature in the soundtrack! There were also some other small pieces that I hadn't heard on the album.

Overall, definitely a revitalising and life affirming moive. Everyone needs to see this. (You can look away for the amputation scene if you want though! :D )

ajaybaskar
9th January 2011, 06:26 PM
D/Led tha movie.. Yet to watch!!