PDA

View Full Version : Cyber Crimes, Archival Data & Their Investigation

Ramona
13th October 2010, 07:22 PM
Can you receive software files online by clicking on the wrong button that accepts such files sent to you?

How do such files operate and to achieve what?

I am using the word "file" for the lack of a better word since I have limited knowledge in this area.

Knowledge on cyber violations and archival data welcome. How can such violations be traced and how long such data is stored or can be traced.

Your response is very much appreciated.

Ramona
15th October 2010, 07:23 PM
Come on I need some responses.

Any knowledge on forensic investigations on cyber violations and archival data?

I noticed the other IT thread but this one is for specific discussions.

prashanth12
15th October 2010, 09:03 PM
I don't understand what you're asking. Clicking on a wrong button where? On a website? Clicking on a link in an email? Are you asking how to avoid spyware or viruses?

Ramona
16th October 2010, 02:51 AM
When I log on I get these messages:

"Updates are ready for your computer". "Click to install". I would ignore it. A few times I clicked on the message by accident and I believe by doing so, I may have accepted some of these files I know nothing of. I don't know what they are or how they operate and for what purpose.

Ramona
16th October 2010, 03:32 AM
I also tried to find a cyber centre that investigates cyber crimes, but I only found one in Bangalore, India. I don't know the coverage i.e. if it covers only certain parts of the globe or only India.

I have already been dealing with those directly installed ones relating to problems like those explained here:

http://www.computerforensicshq.com/cyber-crime-incident-response-computer-forensics/

There is limited chance of this repeating itself, I am wondering now if the recent discovery is just another way of obtaining the same objectives or results. I have made certain observation which
could support an explanation that the new is another way of achieving what the old way was.

Ramona
20th October 2010, 02:41 PM
So could this be spyware or virus?

I recall a few months back (around April/June)crucial data were missing and information seems scattered. When I checked it (can't remember how), there were some ugly files. I contacted the internet company and they walked me through a clean up process to rid those files and things were back to normal.

What I have been experiencing since around August is somewhat different, but seems to be doing a similar job.

Dhakshan
20th October 2010, 03:38 PM

"Updates are ready for your computer". "Click to install". I would ignore it. A few times I clicked on the message by accident and I believe by doing so, I may have accepted some of these files I know nothing of. I don't know what they are or how they operate and for what purpose.

U recieve this from the Operating system that u use, right? Ur system's automatic update is turned on and so whenever new files r updated by ur OS, that will automatically ask u b4 installation since u hav given 'Ask me b4 install'..
This will not create any probs unless u use pirated copy of OS :)

Ramona
21st October 2010, 02:46 PM

U recieve this from the Operating system that u use, right? Ur system's automatic update is turned on and so whenever new files r updated by ur OS, that will automatically ask u b4 installation since u hav given 'Ask me b4 install'..
This will not create any probs unless u use pirated copy of OS :)

I have been using the same system since late 2008, but this question about updates only started poping up right after logging on, in the last few months.

I don't know if it is from the operating system. I also don't know whether at the time of installation if the computer expert installed on the system "Ask me b4 install". If he did this and this resulted to this question, my question is, why was it not operating or asking this question since 2008? I indicated what I was experiencing before this. So I am puzzled. :!:

Dhakshan
21st October 2010, 03:31 PM
When u started using internet? If u had started the day since this pop up appeared, then ur automatic update is turned on and it is working as it is meant to be..
If u r using internet for long time and this problem started occurring very recently, then u might hav unknowingly turned on the update using some other software..
Now to stop it, click Start -> right click on the My Computer icon -> Properties -> Automatic Update -> and Turn Off.
Hope this will help u :)

Sarna
21st October 2010, 04:46 PM
ramona, please take the snapshots of pop-up and upload it in some public share websites and please give the link here... someone will help you for sure :)

Ramona
22nd October 2010, 03:41 AM
Don't know what to say. :sigh2: I don't have the time right now and I need this information for next week. I don't even know how to do a snap shot into website and no time to learn at this stage.

Sarna
22nd October 2010, 12:30 PM
Ramona, please look at the top row keys in ur keyboard... u will find F1 F2 F3..... F11 F12.... next to F12, u will see a key PrintScreen/SysRQ.... just press it once.... by pressing the key, the whole content on ur monitor screen will get copied.

then go to Start -> Run and type mspaint..... u will get a paint window... now do paste or press CNTRL+V.... now the contents of ur monitor screen will get pasted. Now save the file in .jpeg format and upload in www.tinypic.com or www.photobucket.com..... and post the link here.

Ramona
24th October 2010, 12:41 PM
Ramona, please look at the top row keys in ur keyboard... u will find F1 F2 F3..... F11 F12.... next to F12, u will see a key PrintScreen/SysRQ.... just press it once.... by pressing the key, the whole content on ur monitor screen will get copied.

then go to Start -> Run and type mspaint..... u will get a paint window... now do paste or press CNTRL+V.... now the contents of ur monitor screen will get pasted. Now save the file in .jpeg format and upload in www.tinypic.com or www.photobucket.com..... and post the link here.

Will try sometime later. Too busy preparing other related work for this new week and it might take me some time to try what you say and get it right. My desktop also has a number of personal and confidential files showing. I don't think I'll be able to simply print it out and make it public.