PDA

View Full Version : Healthy Lifestyle (part2)

PARAMASHIVAN
27th October 2010, 03:30 PM
This thread will be to post Info about Healthy living issues such as food, Nutrients, dieting and general well being :)

dev
27th October 2010, 04:22 PM
:clap: :2thumbsup:

PARAMASHIVAN
27th October 2010, 04:30 PM
:ty:

PARAMASHIVAN
27th October 2010, 04:36 PM
THE DONT'S AFTER FOOD

Don't drink tea - Because tea leaves contain a high content of acid. This substance will cause the Protein content in the food we consume to be hardened thus difficult to digest.

I drink tea right after BF...:think:

Don't do that, Drink warm water, that will help you to digest your food faster or you can drink traditional chinese Green Tea :)

I'm addicted to tea after BF... Will try to change...:(

Dev

I drink Tea first thing in the morning. I suggest you drink warm water with lemon and pinch of honey

dev
27th October 2010, 05:42 PM
PS, I don't drink anything before BF... but after BF, tea is a must... maybe I will try to postpone the tea session by 1/2 hr or so... :think:

N thanks for the suggestion... will try n see how I like it...

Thirumaran
27th October 2010, 06:16 PM
THE DONT'S AFTER FOOD

Don't drink tea - Because tea leaves contain a high content of acid. This substance will cause the Protein content in the food we consume to be hardened thus difficult to digest.

Don't do that, Drink warm water, that will help you to digest your food faster or you can drink traditional chinese Green Tea :)

Dev Prepare panra Tea, Warm Water maathiri thaan irukkum :huh:

PARAMASHIVAN
27th October 2010, 06:19 PM
Thiru

Ferpect Timing :lol2:

dev
27th October 2010, 10:58 PM
THE DONT'S AFTER FOOD

Appadina I need not skip my morning teanu solreenga...:bluejump: :redjump: :bluejump:

kugan98
28th October 2010, 06:21 AM
Congrats Tamby for starting the second thread.
Very very informative and helpful.

Akka giving all unhealthy recipes.
Tamby giving all healthy tips :lol:

Good keep up the good work.
Thanks and take care, Kugan98

Thirumaran
28th October 2010, 08:53 AM
THE DONT'S AFTER FOOD

Appadina I need not skip my morning teanu solreenga...:bluejump: :redjump: :bluejump:

of course. In fact neenga athayae kulikirathukku use pannikalaam.. thidam, manam, suvai yoadu saerntha oru venneer kuliyal :cool2:

dev
28th October 2010, 10:59 AM
THE DONT'S AFTER FOOD

of course. In fact neenga athayae kulikirathukku use pannikalaam.. thidam, manam, suvai yoadu saerntha oru venneer kuliyal :cool2:

wow!!! What an idea sirji!!!...:lol2:

Thirumaran
28th October 2010, 11:58 AM
implement pannittu sollunga..:wink:

PARAMASHIVAN
28th October 2010, 02:36 PM
Congrats Tamby for starting the second thread.
Very very informative and helpful.

Akka giving all unhealthy recipes.
Tamby giving all healthy tips :lol:

Good keep up the good work.
Thanks and take care, Kugan98

:ty: Pls do post your comments here regularly, then only we can run this thread :)

PARAMASHIVAN
8th November 2010, 05:53 PM
Qn: What are the thumb rules for a layman to take care of his heart?

Ans:
1. Diet - Less of carbohydrate, more of protein, less oil
2. Exercise - Half an hour's walk, at least five days a week; avoid lifts and avoid sitting for a longtime
3. Quit smoking
4. Control weight
5. Control blood pressure and sugar

Qn: Is eating non-veg food (fish) good for the heart?

Ans: No

Qn: It's still a grave shock to hear that some apparently healthy person
gets a cardiac arrest. How do we understand it in perspective?

Ans: This is called silent attack; that is why we recommend everyone past the age of 30 to undergo routine health checkups.

Qn: Are heart diseases hereditary?

Ans: Yes

Qn: What are the ways in which the heart is stressed? What practices do you suggest to de-stress?

Ans: Change your attitude towards life. Do not look for perfection in everything in life.

Qn: Is walking better than jogging or is more intensive exercise required to keep a healthy heart?

Ans: Walking is better than jogging since jogging leads to early fatigue and injury to joints

Qn: You have done so much for the poor and needy. What has inspired you to do so?

Ans: Mother Theresa , who was my patient.

Qn: Can people with low blood pressure suffer heart diseases?

Ans: Extremely rare.

Qn: Does cholesterol accumulates right from an early age
(I'm currently only 22) or do you have to worry about it only after you are above 30 years of age?

Ans: Cholesterol accumulates from childhood.

Qn: How do irregular eating habits affect the heart ?

Ans: You tend to eat junk food when the habits are irregular and your body's enzyme release for digestion gets confused.

Qn: How can I control cholesterol content without using medicines?

Ans: Control diet, walk and eat walnut.

Qn: Which is the best and worst food for the heart?

Ans: Fruits and vegetables are the best and the worst is oil.

Qn: Which oil is better - groundnut, sunflower, olive?

Ans: All oils are bad .

Qn: What is the routine checkup one should go through? Is there any specific test?

Ans: Routine blood test to ensure sugar, cholesterol is ok. Check BP, Treadmill test after an echo.

Qn: What are the first aid steps to be taken on a heart attack?

Ans: Help the person into a sleeping position , place an aspirin tablet under the tongue with a sorbitrate tablet if available, and rush him to a coronary care unit since the maximum casualty takes place within the first hour.

Qn: How do you differentiate between pain caused by a heart attack and that caused due to gastric trouble?

Ans: Extremely difficult without ECG.

Qn: What is the main cause of a steep increase in heart problems amongst youngsters? I see people of about 30-40 yrs of age having heart attacks and serious heart problems.

Ans: Increased awareness has increased incidents. Also, sedentary lifestyles, smoking, junk food, lack of exercise in a country where people are genetically three times more vulnerable for heart attacks than Europeans and Americans.

Qn: Is it possible for a person to have BP outside the normal range of 120/80 and yet be perfectly healthy?

Ans: Yes.

Qn: Marriages within close relatives can lead to heart problems for the child. Is it true?

Ans : Yes, co-sanguinity leads to congenital abnormalities and you may not have a software engineer as a child

Qn: Many of us have an irregular daily routine and many a times we have to stay late nights in office. Does this affect our heart ? What precautions would you recommend?

Ans : When you are young, nature protects you against all these irregularities. However, as you grow older, respect the biological clock.

Qn: Will taking anti-hypertensive drugs cause some other complications (short / long term)?

Ans : Yes, most drugs have some side effects. However, modern anti-hypertensive drugs are extremely safe.

Qn: Will consuming more coffee/tea lead to heart attacks?

Ans : No.

Qn: Are asthma patients more prone to heart disease?

Qn: How would you define junk food?

Ans : Fried food like Kentucky , McDonalds , samosas, and even masala dosas.

Qn: You mentioned that Indians are three times more vulnerable. What is the reason for this, as Europeans and Americans also eat a lot of junk food?

Ans: Every race is vulnerable to some disease and unfortunately, Indians are vulnerable for the most expensive disease.

Qn: Does consuming bananas help reduce hypertension?

Qn: Can a person help himself during a heart attack (Because we see a lot of forwarded emails on this)?

Ans : Yes. Lie down comfortably and put an aspirin tablet of any description under the tongue and ask someone to take you to the nearest coronary care unit without any delay and do not wait for the ambulance since most of the time, the ambulance does not turn up.

Qn: Do, in any way, low white blood cells and low hemoglobin count lead to heart problems?

Ans : No. But it is ideal to have normal hemoglobin level to increase your exercise capacity.

Qn: Sometimes, due to the hectic schedule we are not able to exercise. So, does walking while doing daily chores at home or climbing the stairs in the house, work as a substitute for exercise?

Ans : Certainly. Avoid sitting continuously for more than half an hour and even the act of getting out of the chair and going to another chair and sitting helps a lot.

Qn: Is there a relation between heart problems and blood sugar?

Ans: Yes. A strong relationship since diabetics are more vulnerable to heart attacks than non-diabetics.

Qn: What are the things one needs to take care of after a heart operation?

Ans : Diet, exercise, drugs on time , Control cholesterol, BP, weight.

Qn: Are people working on night shifts more vulnerable to heart disease when compared to day shift workers?

Qn: What are the modern anti-hypertensive drugs?

Ans : There are hundreds of drugs and your doctor will chose the right combination for your problem, but my suggestion is to avoid the drugs and go for natural ways of controlling blood pressure by walk, diet to
reduce weight and changing attitudes towards lifestyles.

Qn: Does dispirin or similar headache pills increase the risk of heart attacks?

Qn: Why is the rate of heart attacks more in men than in women?

Ans : Nature protects women till the age of 45. (Present Global census show that the Percentage of heart disease in women has increased than in men )
Qn: How can one keep the heart in a good condition?

Ans : Eat a healthy diet, avoid junk food, exercise everyday, do not smoke and, go for health checkup s if you are past the age of 30 ( once in six months recommended) ....

PARAMASHIVAN
22nd December 2010, 09:47 PM
Balance your Blood Sugar

You can do this by eating small meals often. Doing this helps to avoid huge energy highs and lows.

dev
23rd January 2011, 04:52 PM
PS, enge poiteenga?...

Asthmatic pplku nalla tips edhavadhu kudunga?... endha maadhiri exercises/activities will help improve the lung capakutti?...:P

PARAMASHIVAN
24th January 2011, 12:54 PM
Hi dev

Will do soon :)

chevy
24th January 2011, 04:13 PM
THE DONT'S AFTER FOOD

Dev

I drink Tea first thing in the morning. I suggest you drink warm water with lemon and pinch of honey

I've been trying this hot water with lemon/honey for some days now...what is it for exactly?

chevy
24th January 2011, 04:13 PM
THE DONT'S AFTER FOOD

Dev

I've been trying this hot water with lemon/honey for some days now...what is it for exactly?

PARAMASHIVAN
26th January 2011, 02:52 PM
[tscii:abbecfb15a]
PS, enge poiteenga?...

Asthmatic pplku nalla tips edhavadhu kudunga?... endha maadhiri exercises/activities will help improve the lung capakutti?...:P

vara vara unga Ingileesoo :rotfl:

Dr Param Shiv Ji's Tips

1) You will have to rethink the way you breathe on an everyday basis and overload your lungs to improve their performance. In order to do that, you need to make your lungs work harder, do short ,emphasis on the word 'short' and intensive running like an athlete running 200m not like marathon runner

2) As well as doing short intensive running, you must also try long distance running, so your lungs are adapted to both high intensity works out as well as moderate work out

3) Yoga, teaches many breathing techniques, pls consult a yoga expert, as I know nothing about yoga :oops:

4) Diaphragmatic breathing is a good exercise for lungs.Diaphragm is the muscle that helps in breathing.When you breathe in, the diaphragm descends lower and more air is breathed in.When you exhale the diaphragm ascends.The more you practice this exercise, more lung capacity improves.

5) last but not least a good cardio workout, which makes you sweat like anything, not the sort of 30-40 minutes yoy walk like a turtle along the beaches, but rather more vigorous work out, which makes you sweat like anything

Note: At Param Shiv ji ‘s ashram, we do a voluntary service to humanity, any contribution for the welfare of the ashram is highly recommended , please make cheque’s payable to ‘Dr Paramashji Kailash trust, unit 1, mount kailash, Nepol’.
[/tscii:abbecfb15a]

PARAMASHIVAN
26th January 2011, 02:54 PM

1) Improve your cholesterol level

2) Reduce fat

3) Loose weight

4) Lemon and Honey are an excellent source of Anti Oxidants

chevy
26th January 2011, 06:39 PM

1) Improve your cholesterol level

2) Reduce fat

3) Loose weight

4) Lemon and Honey are an excellent source of Anti Oxidants

touch wood, but i notice a reduction in craving for food as well. Though pt2 and pt3 don't seem to be happening.

dev
26th January 2011, 07:14 PM
[tscii:090c3bdbca]
PS, enge poiteenga?...

vara vara unga Ingileesoo :rotfl:

Dr Param Shiv Ji's Tips

1) You will have to rethink the way you breathe on an everyday basis and overload your lungs to improve their performance. In order to do that, you need to make your lungs work harder, do short ,emphasis on the word 'short' and intensive running like an athlete running 200m not like marathon runner

2) As well as doing short intensive running, you must also try long distance running, so your lungs are adapted to both high intensity works out as well as moderate work out

3) Yoga, teaches many breathing techniques, pls consult a yoga expert, as I know nothing about yoga :oops:

4) Diaphragmatic breathing is a good exercise for lungs.Diaphragm is the muscle that helps in breathing.When you breathe in, the diaphragm descends lower and more air is breathed in.When you exhale the diaphragm ascends.The more you practice this exercise, more lung capacity improves.

5) last but not least a good cardio workout, which makes you sweat like anything, not the sort of 30-40 minutes yoy walk like a turtle along the beaches, but rather more vigorous work out, which makes you sweat like anything

Note: At Param Shiv ji ‘s ashram, we do a voluntary service to humanity, any contribution for the welfare of the ashram is highly recommended , please make cheque’s payable to ‘Dr Paramashji Kailash trust, unit 1, mount kailash, Nepol’.
[/tscii:090c3bdbca]

:P

Thanks PS ji... I'll try whatever I can...:)

Blank cheque anuppi iruken ji... ;)

chevy
28th January 2011, 08:07 AM
@ PS- should the lemon and honey drink be in hot water/warm water? I read somewhr that hot water will kill the enzymes in honey

dev
28th January 2011, 12:29 PM
Chevy, u r right...honey shouldn't be mixed with anything hot...

PARAMASHIVAN
28th January 2011, 12:44 PM
@ PS- should the lemon and honey drink be in hot water/warm water? I read somewhr that hot water will kill the enzymes in honey

Yes that is right, but honey should be mixed with warm water, honey will not mix well with Cold water

dev
30th January 2011, 01:29 PM
chevy, u can use lukewarm water... normal body temp alavukku thanni sudu irukalaam... anything more than that is not good... they even say honey shouldn't be consumed when one runs a fever...

PARAMASHIVAN
3rd February 2011, 01:04 PM
Also it is not a good idea to mix Honey with Milk !

PARAMASHIVAN
16th February 2011, 10:32 PM
Tomatoes are a good weapon to fight cancer

PARAMASHIVAN
7th March 2011, 06:23 PM
1) Blueberries
Blueberries are another fruit that have been linked to a reduced risk of prostate cancer, thanks to their high levels of proanthocyanidins. However, blueberries' positive benefits for men don't stop there, as studies have also suggested that blueberries may be effective in reducing risk of heart disease, Type 2 Diabetes and age-related memory loss; a condition more prevalent in men than women.

2)Whole grains

Whole grains are great for our health thanks to their high levels of vitamins, minerals and fibre. Most whole grains, including brown rice and oats, are particularly rich in B vitamins, which are good for general wellbeing and can also help alleviate depression. Individual B vitamins can also benefit male health in various ways. Studies have suggested that folate (vitamin B9) can keep sperm healthy, while biotin (B7) may help hair loss. Silica, also present in whole grains, could also help with healthy hair growth.

3) Brazil nuts

Snacking on nuts is great for heart health and good skin. However, Brazil nuts are particularly beneficial for men as they are packed with selenium; a powerful antioxidant which studies have suggested can boost sperm health and motility. Furthermore, selenium is also great for lowering "bad" cholesterol levels, preventing blood clots and lifting your mood.

4) Broccoli

Broccoli - along with other cruciferous vegetables like cabbage and sprouts - contains a strong cancer-fighting chemical, sulphoraphane, which research has suggested may reduce men's risk of developing bladder cancer (a cancer more commonly affecting women than men), prostate cancer and colorectal cancer.

5) Oysters

Oysters are the highest natural source of zinc; an essential requirement for men's fertility and sexual health. Zinc not only helps to maintain healthy testosterone levels in men, but it is essential for healthy sperm production. On top of this, zinc deficiency may be responsible for hair loss in men, so an increased intake may benefit men's appearance as well as health.

6) Tomatoes

Tomatoes are possibly one of the best "superfoods" around, and the popular fruit has particular benefits for men. Studies have suggested that the lycopene found in tomatoes may reduce risk of colorectal cancer, lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease; the leading cause of death in men. Research has also shown that men who frequently eat foods rich in lycopene may drastically reduce their risk of developing prostate cancer.

7) Eggs

For men suffering from hair loss, eggs may also provide the perfect solution. Eggs are an excellent source of protein, which is essential for hair growth, as well as being rich in biotin (vitamin B7). Egg yolks are also a good source of iron, which some studies have suggested can alleviate hair loss, which can be caused by anaemia.

8) Pomegranate juice

Pomegranates are packed with antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, and research has suggested that drinking the juice of this "superfood" can help lower cholesterol - which can be high in many men as young as their 20s - and prevent hypertension. A study has also found that drinking just one 8oz glass of pomegranate juice a day could dramatically slow down the progress of prostate cancer.

9) Garlic

Garlic is well known for boosting heart health, and a study on the effects of garlic consumption on males has shown that regularly eating garlic could help lower men's cholesterol levels. Furthermore, research findings published in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute have suggested that regularly eating garlic and onions could help lower men's risk of developing prostate cancer.

10) Salmon

Salmon is not only a great source of protein, but it is an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, which can help address many of men's most common health complaints. Omega-3 fatty acids have been linked to lowered levels of "bad" cholesterol and can also reduce risk of many illnesses, including heart disease, colorectal cancer, prostate cancer and depression.

rose75
8th March 2011, 05:21 AM
Oh!, everything for men, nothing for women.
Please post something for our Kugan's problem. Pity Kugan, she is doing a great service.
Kugan has so many food restrictions. Thanks for all your tips.
I will show it to my husband. Rose75

PARAMASHIVAN
8th March 2011, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the Appreciation Rose :)

I will post what ever I know for general health, if you looked at part one of the healthy living thread, it was full of general ideas, do archive it and take a look :)

dev
22nd March 2011, 05:36 PM
"Don't lose your mind, lose your weight" by Rujuta Diwekar...For those interested in good health(not only weight loss), this book is a must read...

PARAMASHIVAN
22nd March 2011, 05:42 PM
"Don't lose your mind, lose your weight" by Rujuta Diwekar...For those interested in good health(not only weight loss), this book is a must read...

Dev

Is it only available in India ?

dev
22nd March 2011, 08:14 PM
PS, it's available on amazon too...chk http://www.rujutadiwekar.com/order_online.asp

dev
22nd March 2011, 08:18 PM
PS, book ungalukka?... neengale oru nutrition n exercise pro aache!!!...;)

PARAMASHIVAN
22nd March 2011, 09:24 PM
PS, book ungalukka?... neengale oru nutrition n exercise pro aache!!!...;)

adadE SivanukE murugan thaanE upathesam seithar, athE mathiri Shiv ji ku intha pusthagam upathesam seiyatum :lol2:

dev
22nd March 2011, 10:02 PM
adadE SivanukE murugan thaanE upathesam seithar, athE mathiri Shiv ji ku intha pusthagam upathesam seiyatum :lol2:

ok ok... it was a good read(and learning exper) though I was familiar with many topics discussed in the book...Padichu paarthittu sollunga...:)

PARAMASHIVAN
28th March 2011, 03:19 PM
Ok, thanks dev :)

PARAMASHIVAN
6th April 2011, 05:58 PM
For Vegiterians who wants to eat Jelly like food, you can use them if it contains Carrageenan rather than Gelatin. Carrageenan comes from algae or seaweed, and can be used as a thickening agent in place of animal-based products like gelatin

kugan98
6th April 2011, 06:31 PM
Thanks Tamby for the info.
I have been using china grass for all my recipes.
Let me see if I can get this stuff. Thanks, Kugan98

PARAMASHIVAN
6th April 2011, 06:44 PM
You are welcome Kugan ka :)

PARAMASHIVAN
6th April 2011, 07:05 PM
Folks,

Vegetarians lack in Omega 3, since fish is consumed, you can eat the following to compensate for that, Omega 3 is very essential for Joints Health, esp. when you age.
Plant sources of omega-3 (per 100g)

Linseed (flaxseed) oil: 50g
Linseeds: 20.3g
Walnut oil: 11.5g
Rapeseed oil: 9.6g
Soya bean oil: 7.3g
Pumpkin seeds: 3.5g
Soya beans: 1.2g

PARAMASHIVAN
16th February 2012, 09:43 PM
Green vegies like Spinach are high in Iron and an excellent source of anti-oxidants! and also helps to over come the following

Avoid Fatigue /Tiredness
Improve Concentrations
Regrow Hair
Avoid Dizziness
Avoid Headaches