PDA

View Full Version : Tagline for Movies - 80's and 90's and before that

Plum
8th November 2010, 05:44 PM
Every movie comes with a tagline these days, va - Quarter Cutting being the latest example, although it seems in this case the title was the insertion and the tagline was decided befores.

Record your knowledge on movie tag lines - let's keep it before 90's to get interesting vignettes.

Plum
8th November 2010, 05:45 PM
I am recalling this vignette, a moment from the past. The hoarding for Udhayam(Shiva in Telugu) used to have this tag line:(Opp shanti theatre, at the junction where you join with the other small koovam karai lane into one mountroad)
"He was the nice guy in College...until they made him a graduate in violence". It stuck in the mind as I used to travel past in a bus daily on the way to School. There is an IR-RGV tale associated with this which I came to know much later after RGV started blogging.

Plum
8th November 2010, 05:45 PM
That tag line was inserted after the Re-recording session with IR for the movie.
Apparently, during the re-recording, RGV was questioning IR why a gloomy sounding BGM for a particular scene which was essentially calling for rowdhram and excitement - the famous cycle-chain snatching scene which marks Shiva's jump into rowdyism. It seems IR replied to RGV "I felt sad that a student who came to pursue his career got sucked into violence and politics". That's what inspired RGV to think of that tag line - he had, infact, not even thought of this angle while scripting and filming the movie, it seems!

P_R
8th November 2010, 05:58 PM
Karna - think before you ink

enna solla varrAingannu, kadhai ezhudhina eksan kingai thaan kEkkaNum

Plum
8th November 2010, 06:01 PM
:lol:

He is an optimist, isnt our Action King, he dared to urge his movie watchers to think!

ajaybaskar
8th November 2010, 06:08 PM
Gentleman - Something special

Came across the tagline in the audio cassette that i bought and i doubt if the same was used in the movie. Probably Shankar would've used it to create an expectation about the movie but i believe it didnt work the way he would've expected it to..

mexicomeat
8th November 2010, 06:14 PM
nothing but kalakkal.

inna padamnu gnabagam varale... kadhalan?

Plum
8th November 2010, 06:19 PM
Ajay and others, if you have any memory of the movie, the tag line, the expectations created by the tag line, whether it was met or not, any anecdotes regarding the tagline or the sheer absurdity of it as in Feeyar's example, do share it. That will make the thread more interesting.

Hoping people like saaradha_sn can throw some light on pre-80's movies, too.

Bala (Karthik)
8th November 2010, 06:30 PM
Sumaal correction: In Thamizh, it is written as Auction King

vithagan
8th November 2010, 06:34 PM
nothing but kalakkal.

I guess some Parthiban's movie !

Plum
8th November 2010, 06:38 PM
Auction king :lol:
Only bala(k) possible

MADDY
8th November 2010, 07:16 PM
jeans - 100% love, 0% cotton

hattori_hanzo
8th November 2010, 11:01 PM
Some Sathyaraj movie:
50% lollu 50% jollu

Kurudhippunal - The River of Blood (Is this the only Kamal film with a tag line or did Pesum Padam have one, 'Silent Movie?')

Simbu films Manmadhan, Vallavan had some funny tag lines - only god can judge him, he knows what to do.

An early 80s movie 'Moodupani' had this tag line - 'The Mist'

omega
8th November 2010, 11:39 PM
nothing but kalakkal.

I guess some Parthiban's movie !

சரிகமபதநி (Parthiban - Roja)

kid-glove
9th November 2010, 12:51 AM
Kurudhippunal - The River of Blood

"Throne of Blood"-ku hat-tipA ithu? :D

raajarasigan
9th November 2010, 03:44 PM
Some Sathyaraj movie:
50% lollu 50% jolluLootti

Kurudhippunal - The River of Blood (Is this the only Kamal film with a tag line or did Pesum Padam have one, 'Silent Movie?')
An early 80s movie 'Moodupani' had this tag line - 'The Mist'ithu ellame tag line maadhiri illaye.. translation maadhiri than irukku.. :roll:

hattori_hanzo
9th November 2010, 11:57 PM
Some Sathyaraj movie:
50% lollu 50% jolluLootti

An early 80s movie 'Moodupani' had this tag line - 'The Mist'ithu ellame tag line maadhiri illaye.. translation maadhiri than irukku.. :roll:

Kingfan, Sariya sonneenga, you are right. I guess Major might have suggested these tag lines.