PDA

View Full Version : Which varnam is this?

Umesh
25th January 2005, 04:48 AM
It is a padavarnam in hindolam entitled "sama gana priye sakala lokeshvari." The audio for it can be found online, although it seems to be a shortened version of a usual dance version (it's only about ten minutes as opposed to 20+). I'm wondering who composed it and if the complete version can be found on any cassettes or CDs. Thanks!

the site for the audio:
http://www.malayalavedhi.com/Music/Music.php?q=f&f=%2FDance____Songs%2FBharatha_Naatyam

click on "Saama Gaana Priye VARNAM BHARATHA NAATYA GEETHANGAL."

Lakshman
29th January 2005, 03:34 AM
This song may be the composition of Madurai Muralidharan. There are 4 CDs of his compositions on the market. Hope to hear from someone who has them.

Umesh
29th January 2005, 09:42 AM
I have his entire Nrithyopasana series (it is 43 cassettes filled with his compositions and other popular dance compositions). The set also includes Thillanas in the 35 thalams, alarippus in different thalams, and jathiswarams in the 35 thalams. It's a wonderful set for dancers and people who enjoy dance music. He has another series entitled Salangai Nadham. There's probably about 20 cassettes/cd's in this collection, of which I have only 6. I looked at my Nrithyopasana tapes as well as the contents of Salangai Nadham online and I can't find the Varnam anywhere. It's just a mystery varnam! He has a varnam which begins with "Sama gana" but it's not the same.

Lakshman
29th January 2005, 07:27 PM
You might try to contact Jacob Isaac of Malayalavedhi.com to find out the source of the bharatanatyam audio clips he has on his site.