PDA

View Full Version : Something in the mist

chevy
30th December 2010, 12:37 PM
[tscii:b9af303d4a]
The ringing cell phone filled me with dread. Glancing at the traffic cop, I excused myself to ignore the call. The fuel assistant returned my change and I drove away slowly least mindful of the impatient biker behind.

The school now had a gate and higher wall around it. It stretched over a vast expanse of donated land such that the each of the four gates opened out to four different areas of the city.

I pulled over under a tree at the farthest and darkest end of the parking lot, far away from the glossy cars and SUVs. It was under the very same neem tree where Mithun had a fall from one of its branches and fell right on me, fracturing and saving me from the term exams. I looked around hoping to find the same old chubby face beaming his trademark smile and coming over to say hi. More cars, glossier and shinier, pulled over next to my second hand Maruti 800. Smartly dressed couples and a few with tots hoped off them and walked through the blue and white balloon arch-gate.

A senior school boy stood bouncing un-invited guests off the party. His carefree mates stood chit chatting with him as he performed his duty of punching the invite card. How long had it been since someone put their arms over my shoulder?

A familiar jawful of teeth flashed at me. Mithun thumped down the hall and strangled me in his bear hug. His hands had been full with two equally chubby tots whom he had passed to his petite wife as he hugged and stuffed himself into a chair next to me. He looked around and commented on how the V.K. Rao Hall had changed and gave news about everyone we knew in common. Rishi is doing well and had donated for the new computer lab in the school. Laxmi’s kids are in the same school as Mithun’s and they meet occasionally. Aditi is still studying medicine and married to a doctor in her university. Her kids don’t speak any Indian language which isn’t a surprise considering how much she herself was dying to start using the fake British accent. Manab had set up his own clinic somewhere in Gujarat and his wife taught dance. Preethi..

Well, Preethi is Mithun’s neighbor (Dude, you never told me man!) and she is busy with work. They only see each other in the elevator at times.

I nearly asked if she was married but I was not sure what answer I wanted to hear. I let it pass. He would certainly know if she was coming today but I wasn’t sure what answer I wanted for that as well.

“She is still unmarried. I think her parents are looking. They’re finding it hard to get a match. She is too choosy though I’d rather remind her she’s getting old. Maybe you can tell her today!” he winked at me as he answered my mind. “I would have done that if you visited your neighbors more often and invite me when you do!” I hinted.

“It’s your home man. Drop in anytime” he said slapping my back.

I noticed Pinky uncomfortably looking around and handling the two chubby kids. I shared the same discomfort of unfamiliarity with her though I had nearly lived fourteen years of my life in these premises. “Don’t you get tired cooking for him”, I joked at her. She laughed looking at him and he broke into his same loud guffaw. Tiny wrinkles and crow’s feet wrapped around his tiny eyes and she turned away from them and joked back, “Yes I am quite sick of it. Please let me know if you discover something that satiates hunger forever”. She eased into her chair and began talking about their children and their routines. Though I was glad I could make her comfortable I hadn’t relaxed quiet yet.

Tanvi joined our table with her husband dutifully holding their baby boy. She quickly introduced us and explained about the Hall to her husband. She watched him as he pulled out the water bottle and plugged it into the baby. Bossy as ever, I grinned at her.

The grand old queen bee of the school spoke into the microphone. She looked as old as she always did and announced her retirement, as she did almost every year as if it was a form of threat to the school future. The lights went off to a few dance and music performances. The crowd later dispersed to dinner in the school lawns.

Many familiar faces came by and we hi-ed and bye-ed. I laughed in my head at those who had dressed in tuxedoes for a school reunion! For what business are you here? To show your importance or the outfit’s?

I was more relieved listening to Pinky than answering the questions fired at me. Where was I working? Where’s my family? Though “asking questions” was nearly my job-profile, I wasn’t experienced in answering any.

“Wow, Krishna! I didn’t think I will see you today. How are you?” Shankar said smiling at Pinky. I promptly introduced her as Mithun’s wife and we were soon joined by more guys and their wives. I nearly fainted each time someone screeched a “Hiiiiiiii”. Was anyone really this enthusiastic? If yes, we wouldn’t be living in the same city and meeting after ten years in a reunion.

“So, Krishna, tell us about you!!! We see you on TV so often.”
“He’s become a celebrity. No time for us.”
“It’s nothing much. Just a daily job like yours.” I added.
“He is always like this. He’s very modest.” Pinked said playing the new-best friend post in my life.
The dreaded cotton sari appeared in front of me and sat right next to Pinky. They hugged in the same fashion as two people living in the same house yet never seeing each other would hug in public. Like I did with my wife when our families dropped over.
Preethi was same as ever. It was her traditional no-frills, no jewels, prim and proper ready-for-a-meeting-anytime dressing in starched and stiffened cotton sans glitter no matter how grand or joyful the event was. I sat ready to smile the moment she turned to my glance and when she did, I grinned sheepishly though I intended it to smile smartly.

The crowd spared us (barring Pinky who was nearly ready to replace my right arm). She was now comfortably talking to her neighbor and new best friend holding both of us desperately waiting to be left in solace. Or, maybe not.

Preethi finally got around to stop the stupid grin-grin back cycle between us and asked how I was. She briefly explained her job profile to me though I didn’t need to know the details. She was always made for the top of any organization.
“Hope you’re enjoying doing what you do” I asked.
“Oh very much.”
“Good to know you’re enjoying life” I quipped stressing on the “enjoying” which she ignored with a smile.
“So how is your wife?” She asked formally. “I am sorry, I know it’s too late to ask but I am glad I get this opportunity to do so anyway.”
“Raji is fine” I added. She looked me as if waiting to hear more. I nearly wished Raji was with me in person as answer to everyone’s questions. I realized the ownership with which I used her name and spoke about her shoving off the cloak of diplomacy, suddenly realizing the pride of her presence in my life.
“She can’t stand for too long. The plaster won’t be removed until two months later so she’s at home.” I repeated the same line I had done for nearly three years now.
“Great. So you’ve got a house-maid to attend to her?” (Why wouldn’t I if I could afford?)
“She’s got a house-guy to attend to her. She also married him”
“Ha-ha. Nice. How do you manage work and home and the popularity?”
“I am just a journalist. It’s more like running around with cameras as tails. The new weekend show is doing well so I get to do some occasional public event hosting. No popularity or anything.”
“It’s great to see you on TV everyday though. It feels almost like seeing you everyday”
I stared blankly recalling the promises of turning up for reunions and marriages and each of it had happened with fear and anxiety. She excused herself to say hi to others and I pensively listened to Pinky continue about Mithun and their family.
The short evening came to an end after dinner and I made a quick exit.
“Leaving without a bye?” Mithun bellowed from behind.
“Naah, just leaving as silently as I came”
“You got my text message, right? We are having an after party at my place. You didn’t even attend my call pre-party.”
“Oh the traffic cop was nearby. Couldn’t attend the call.”
“Drop in home. I think Pinky has found a new friend. She hasn’t finished her story with you yet and she doesn’t stop talking until she’s finished. You must come and maybe you’ll get to visit my neighbors too” He winked.
“Which neighbors?” Pinky poked in. “Sounds like a good story, tell me right away”
“Nothing nothing. It’s a man-to-man thing.” He told her.
“Now that’s exactly why I want to know it.” She argued closing the door of their car after the kids hopped in.
“No man. Raji’s alone and I have to wake up early tomorrow. Surely another day.”
“Another day never comes, but anyway for Raji, we spare you this time.” He said closing the car door.
I noticed Rishi get into his Mercedes and Tanvi’s Husband sitting at the rear seat with their boy as she drove off in their BMW.
My old rickety Maruti 800 waited loyally for me. I noticed my entire flat lit up in incandescent light as I drove into our colony. The watchman glanced without a comment and I grimly avoided a plausible conversation with a neighbor in the elevator. The hall was strewn with broken china and books. The TV played old music videos to a sleeping Raji. I chose between letting her sleep on the sofa and lifting her to bed. The living room’s mess contrasted with the neatness of the rest of the house and especially the kitchen. I suddenly realized she hadn’t eaten and called out to her. She shifted drowsily acknowledging my return and turned her face away to sleep again.

I told her about the reunion and how much I wished she would have been able to come. She gave me a blank stare quite disbelievingly and answered me by looking at the broken mess on the floor. I apologized about the fight and got up to make dinner and served it on the sofa.

Mithun stared incredulously at Raji and Pinky speaking in two different languages and yet chatting away incessantly. I got up to shift Raji from her place under the tree where Mithun’s son was climbing. Mithun laughed and told Raji about his fall over my head. She laughed as if she understood what he said. I translated it for her and she laughed again.

We strolled across the park in silence and Mithun replied to my mind as usual. “Feel comfortable in your own skin man.”

“What?”

“Nothing just telling you. You don’t have to tell me but I thought I’ll tell you. Even I have a past I try to hide, a future I’m worried about and I am proud of what I have despite its pitfalls. I won’t go around trying to hide that I have a trouble keeping my job or that I am paying for my car in installments or that Pinky takes tuitions to pay for the kids’ education. That’s life, I’d rather have people like me for what I am and not for what I have. It’s better to flash my scary smile than to shy away from those who have done better than me.”

Pinky helped Raji into the car seat as we got ready to leave.

A familiar cotton sari passed by and I called out loudly.

“Wow, pleasant surprise. Someone’s having a picnic and I note I wasn’t invited!” Preethi cried.

“Ha-ha. No picnic. We were just visiting Mithun. By the way, this is Raji”

“Hi Raji, How’s your leg? What are the doctors saying?” She said looking through the open car window.
“Oh no. She doesn’t speak English.” I translated between them as they spoke for a while.

We drove off in silence, as we always did. But this time, I looked to my side and saw Raji, her disability, the ganesha sticker on my steering and the old watchmen as he watched us, an unhappy couple pass through the gate. I watched as he watched me help her out of the car to the wheelchair and watched her as she noted how I joked and laughed on our way up. I wheeled her across our living room and switched on her favorite soap and sat down to watch it with her.

The phone rang filling me with dread. Rishi. Party at his plush residence.

“Hey Rishi, I got your message. We’re coming.” I said smiling at a Raji who turned to see when I said “We”.

[/tscii:b9af303d4a]

AudazJay
4th January 2011, 09:13 AM
It's been quite a while since you last wrote Chevy. I must say that I really enjoyed reading it though I was hoping to read more of your comedy-laced stories :D Very good narration and description of the characters! Keep writing more :thumbsup:

Querida
4th January 2011, 09:37 AM
Wow Chevy...:D

I was entirely engrossed and admire your skills in alluding to so much with such subtlety and elegance.

So many one liners that were just soaked in emotion and the tension of what cannot be said....sad but so close to real life.

Really you have outdone yourself, such a treat to read your work after such a long while :D

Shakthiprabha
4th January 2011, 10:44 AM
So many one liners that were just soaked in emotion and the tension of what cannot be said....sad but so close to real life.

Thats for me too.

"THOROUGHLY" enjoyed chevy. So much close to each one's life made it very special.

pavalamani pragasam
4th January 2011, 02:34 PM
A deep, mature insight into life's intricacies! :clap:

chevy
5th January 2011, 06:56 PM
Thank you SP akka, Q, PP mam and AudazJay. :P