PDA

View Full Version : Films You Once Adored That Now You Can't Stand

groucho070
5th January 2011, 07:50 AM
Time to liven up The Hub.

The title is clear, kinda opposite of the other thread (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=15025)I created. Expecting lots of confession, especially from Plum.

I'll start with my favourite.

NT - Some of the worst ones he did with Prabhu in 80s. The novelty of seeing father and son in same pix worked fine with me then, even when I was not a NT fan then. Not now. At the same time, not all, Vellai Roja still works for me, as Prabhu's debut Sangili or the energetic Miruthangga Chakravarthy. But not Nermai, and no way to Sathanai, let's not even talk about Tharaasu or Thiruppam. I think the worst has to be Santhippu. Anyway, I have forgotten others, and it better stay that way! Nothing to do with NT's performance, it's just the films suck.

I'll return later with the others.

Krillin
5th January 2011, 08:18 AM
I was really young when I first saw Kaadhalar Dhinam :oops: and I loved it for the music + computer whiz age. Also Ennaku 20 Unnaku 18 falls into this category too, thot it was chic at the time 8-) , but now it's like :shock:

Also Maddy's Priyamana Thozhi is another one which makes you cringe when you watch it over and over. :lol:

Plum
5th January 2011, 08:32 AM
Grouch, ennanga mudivE paNNittIngaLA?:lol:
Dont remember much now.
Not many that I cringe about really - if you are expecting me to cough out vijayakanth movie names, i am not falling for the trap ;-)
But seriously, i dont find too much wrong with even sendhorapove for whatever i didnt find cringeworthy then.
I could say kaidhiyin dairy but the parts that appealed then appeal now also - like revathy when kidnapped by appa kamal. Maybe that statue thing in the end..that was kind of intriguing then and laughable now
Mudhal mariyaadhai - satharaj confessing his affair with vadivu to the first person he encounters in the village when he returns(just so that the viewers can conveniently digest the denoument) :lol: plus some of even NT's'sequences with bharathiraja to blame.
Agni n'- nothing to find fault even now. What i liked then still remains fun.
Heck, i caught Ranga the other day(as confessed, watched many times during release). Except karate mani's thesping, nothing unusually embarassing that i did not reject then. Even suresh's adhigaprsangithanams look more tolerable now.

Plum
5th January 2011, 08:35 AM
Maybe thrisoolam - bonafide blockbuster watched with keen intent in theatre at 7 years of age. Crying with KR Vijaya(really, yes), burning with revenge rage and "parrungada villaingaLA, our heroes are coming" as irandu kaigaL unfolded. Sivaji on Sivaji's'shoulders sure now is funny - and totally different from the with-the-movie reaction it evoked then. As for punnagai arasi's tears...

groucho070
5th January 2011, 08:39 AM
:lol: Trisoolam I never get to watch till later when I became HC NT fan, so immediate reaction: Intha padam blockbuster-a :shock: .

Rajini - Payum Puli. Liked it as a kid, some masala elements. But now, it looks horrible. Jeez, how did they get away with crap like this. As mentioned earlier, everyone involved did poorly. Especially disappointed with IR, considering the stuff he was churning out at that time.

groucho070
5th January 2011, 08:40 AM
Also Maddy's Priyamana Thozhi is another one which makes you cringe when you watch it over and over. :lol:Athu appove cringe-worthy, only gets worst now.

groucho070
5th January 2011, 08:42 AM
Not many that I cringe about really - if you are expecting me to cough out vijayakanth movie names, i am not falling for the trap ;-)Actually, its the reverse for Captain's films. Hated them then, but they are pretty watchable now. I am game for any of his films now, too bad I am married :P

V_S
5th January 2011, 09:32 AM
One immediately comes to my mind is Kaathal Kottai. I remember watching this film standing for the whole movie in Chrompet Vetri, full house (I think). I even watched for around 4 times that time.
Sorry to say this, Looking back now, it is so embarrasing! I could not even bear that movie now. Especially those thaangamudiyaatha acting by Thalaivasal Vijay, Devyani, Rajeev, Heera. Not to forget that Deva song and that story and climax. :oops:

Vivasaayi
5th January 2011, 09:49 AM
late 90's love movies - like love today

Watched them as though they are classics....ippo paatha ..semma comediya irukku..

love todayla oru dialogue varum

"frienda figura"

ipo kekaradhukku semma comediya irukku

groucho070
5th January 2011, 10:00 AM
Kamal - Nanum oru Tozhilaali. At that time, being a hardcore fan, I was going, "hey, what's wrong, it's good what?". But then, I would even watch Kamal just sitting for two hours reading phone book. Mishtake-ya, mishtake! Saw it recently, and I shrunk in my sofa. Sridhar, RIP, but itha senjirukka koodathu :evil:

raajarasigan
5th January 2011, 10:05 AM
Kamal - Nanum oru Tozhilaali. At that time, being a hardcore fan, I was going, "hey, what's wrong, it's good what?". But then, I would even watch Kamal just sitting for two hours reading phone book. Mishtake-ya, mishtake! Saw it recently, and I shrunk in my sofa. Sridhar, RIP, but itha senjirukka koodathu :evil:grouch, I watched it for the first time in Sun Movies.. aana appove athu kaattu mokkaiya irunduchu... athula, eppo ellam restless feel pandramo, udane oru paattu vandhurum..

groucho070
5th January 2011, 10:11 AM
RR, I was in hypnotic state. For strange reasons they showed couple of times on TV then (we get both Malaysia and Singapore channels by the way), and we kids lapped it up (my brothers are fellow conspirators), plus VHS vera. :oops:

Scale
5th January 2011, 10:42 AM
Thalapathi: Except for the sheer brilliance of photography & songs nothing withstanding. Now I realized casting two big regional stars in a movie alone doesnt make the movie good. There is a sentimental check in every reel.

Raavanan: To say the least! This movie proves yet again why MR is so bad when it comes to modern interpretation of the epic tales. Karthik & Prabhu comeback is brilliant. This Raavanan has no head.

Punnagai Mannan: The pictures are museum piece and I thought this is One and he is certainly the one. This man steals downright everything and that's coming from KB is quiet shocking though the plot is completely different.

Avvai Shanmugi: Its a very good entertainer! Someone doesn't know when you jump a red signal and you see a traffic police on the crossing waving hands doesn't mean that you are going to be rewarded as the best driver. Only in India you can obtain license without knowing driving rules. If this is the truth I better sit, sleep forgetting it.

More later...

ajaybaskar
5th January 2011, 10:43 AM
All Vikraman movies...

Scale
5th January 2011, 10:45 AM
Manmathan Ambu: There are two dumbass mongoose awfully written character in the movies which I never want to think about. One dialoq dig repeatedly echoing is "poi thaniya varaadhu koottama thaan varum"

Scale
5th January 2011, 10:46 AM
Thanks Groucho for opening this thread :)

ajaybaskar
5th January 2011, 10:47 AM
Scale oru 100 padam poduvaar pola irukku

Scale
5th January 2011, 10:51 AM
hehe....

Enthiran: It was an such insult to my intelligence that I have no answers to my 10year old nephew. I told my wife before the second viewing she said today the last half an hour of enthiran beats last half an hour of MA. However, I recovered that money by selling at a double price on the next day. I value my money!

Still, two times is what I can't stand.

ajay :escape:

littlemaster1982
5th January 2011, 10:55 AM
Scale,

Isn't this thread about the films you liked sometime back, but hate it while watching now?

raajarasigan
5th January 2011, 11:00 AM
Yes.. Manmadan Ambu, Endhiran ellam eppadi indha threadla :roll: athukkullaya pidichu pidikkaama poyidichu...

Scale
5th January 2011, 11:00 AM
I have watched all the movies couple of times except MA and it has changed my perception somehow which is precedently related to this topic.

ajithfederer
5th January 2011, 11:01 AM
:lol:

Scale,

Isn't this thread about the films you liked sometime back, but hate it while watching now?

Scale
5th January 2011, 11:02 AM
oru chance kedaikkum bothu vidungappa....:wink:

groucho070
5th January 2011, 11:03 AM
Sometimes back can be anytime, I guess. Scale, neengga roadu podungga, I don't mind.

Scale
5th January 2011, 11:06 AM
Thanks Groucho!

Cinemarasigan
5th January 2011, 11:40 AM
Sometimes back can be anytime, I guess. Scale, neengga roadu podungga, I don't mind.

Last week-la vandha padam koodavaa :confused2:

Cinemarasigan
5th January 2011, 11:44 AM
I have watched all the movies couple of times except MA and it has changed my perception somehow which is precedently related to this topic.

All movies :!: :!: Then you will have lot of movies to post... :lol:

groucho070
5th January 2011, 11:55 AM
Point is, first time, or second, or 17th time you like it. But today, or most recently, you just cannot stand it.

Another one, with MGR: Pallandu Vazhga. Loved it when it first came out, but now....especially the attrociously made up bad guys. Gosh!!! The songs are still lovely, but I won't watch the movie for them.

ajaybaskar
5th January 2011, 12:00 PM
Ratchagan

Watched it 17 times in theatre. :cry2:

Now.. :oops: :ashamed:

Plum
5th January 2011, 12:02 PM
Ajay, appO Ratchagan pudichudhA? :roll:

epdi Ajay epdi?

ajaybaskar
5th January 2011, 12:10 PM
Ada neenga vera..

Naan theatrekulla pogumbodhellam ticket kizhikkiravar keppar "Enna thambi, nethu aalai kanoam?".

groucho070
5th January 2011, 12:14 PM
:rotfl: Ajay

Wibha
5th January 2011, 12:14 PM
Anniyan :sigh2:
Jeans :sigh2: :sigh2:

raajarasigan
5th January 2011, 12:15 PM
Point is, first time, or second, or 17th time you like it. But today, or most recently, you just cannot stand it.

Another one, with MGR: Pallandu Vazhga. Loved it when it first came out, but now....especially the attrociously made up bad guys. Gosh!!! The songs are still lovely, but I won't watch the movie for them.Grouch, agree with you on PV.. I too liked this movie during my childhood days.. but recently, I was forced to watch this (they played the movie in the bus when I was travelling to my home town from chennai) :evil: I was like "andha kaalathula kuttravalinga ellam ivlo nallavangalava irundhaainga"

raajarasigan
5th January 2011, 12:16 PM
Ada neenga vera..

Naan theatrekulla pogumbodhellam ticket kizhikkiravar keppar "Enna thambi, nethu aalai kanoam?". :lol:

Wibha
5th January 2011, 12:17 PM
Ada neenga vera..

Naan theatrekulla pogumbodhellam ticket kizhikkiravar keppar "Enna thambi, nethu aalai kanoam?".

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Siv.S
5th January 2011, 12:26 PM
Ada neenga vera..

:rotfl:

In chakravarthy right? i went to Ratchgan for FDFS, ticket kidaikkama Mini-la Aaha paathom... :D

ajaybaskar
5th January 2011, 12:29 PM
Yes, Siva.. Namma pasanga vera Chakravarthy equipped with Dolby systemnu oru poova en kaadhula vachuttanga. Namma operator vera speaker wire'ai uruvi uruvi avaraa oru effect koduppar. Dolbyna ipdithaan irukkumpolannu romba naala nenachukittu irundhen..

AudazJay
5th January 2011, 12:34 PM
Yes, Siva.. Namma pasanga vera Chakravarthy equipped with Dolby systemnu oru poova en kaadhula vachuttanga. Namma operator vera speaker wire'ai uruvi uruvi avaraa oru effect koduppar. Dolbyna ipdithaan irukkumpolannu romba naala nenachukittu irundhen..

Plum
5th January 2011, 12:35 PM
Ada neenga vera..

Naan theatrekulla pogumbodhellam ticket kizhikkiravar keppar "Enna thambi, nethu aalai kanoam?". :lol:

ungaLa nambi oru theatre-E odi irukku.

Siv.S
5th January 2011, 12:36 PM

:rotfl: :rotfl2:

ajaybaskar
5th January 2011, 12:39 PM
Continuous'ah 17 times paakkumbodhuthaan ovvoru naalum vera vera scenela sound effects varudhunnu kandupidichen. Appuramthaan idhu operator thiruvilaiyadalngra unmai therinjudhu.

Thirumaran
5th January 2011, 12:40 PM
Ada neenga vera..

:rotfl2: btw avvlo naal (17 days) antha padam oaduchaa :shock:

ajaybaskar
5th January 2011, 12:40 PM
40 days oduchu

Siv.S
5th January 2011, 12:41 PM
Pooveli , theatre-laye three times .. ippa recent -aa konja scenes paatha pothu :sigh2:

Thirumaran
5th January 2011, 12:48 PM
40 days oduchu
ok.. enga batch ae (College) oru periya expectation oada irunthoam intha padathukku.. graphics illaamalaeyae enga narambellaam murukerinathu thaan michcham :argh:

P_R
5th January 2011, 01:12 PM
Roja flag-burn scene ellAm andha kaalathula grass itching.

ippo, udu nainA, vERa vaangikkalaam.

Plum
5th January 2011, 01:14 PM

you must be yung blood then. Me was appovE :meh: - migration away from Munirathnam appO dhAn start Achu..

selvamohankumar
5th January 2011, 01:15 PM
Ada neenga vera..

:rotfl2: btw avvlo naal (17 days) antha padam oaduchaa :shock:

Ivar mattum daily ponathu nalla oduchu :lol:

Plum
5th January 2011, 01:21 PM
Actually, grouch, you have made me think whether I have grown at all in the last 20 years. appO pudichadhellAm ippovum pudichirukku evLO yOsichAlum. Either I matured too early or I am still a yeng.

mexicomeat
5th January 2011, 01:22 PM
>>> Films You Once Adored That Now You Can't Stand

Kadalukku Mariyadhai

especially the climax scene..

"eduthukkungo. unga ponna neengale eduthukkunge....." ippo ketta sema comedya irukku.

ajaybaskar
5th January 2011, 01:24 PM
Chinnathambi

Except for IR's evergreen songs, everything else seems to be outdated and a pain to watch.

Plum
5th January 2011, 01:26 PM
Chinnathambi

Except for IR's evergreen songs, everything else seems to be outdated and a pain to watch.

No, Gounder's part is still ok though not as rip-roaringly funny as it was the first time.

Plum
5th January 2011, 01:26 PM
Although Gounder's part should never be part of a film evaluation - he operates in a different plane

ajaybaskar
5th January 2011, 01:27 PM
Mannan's gounder was more enjoyable than Chinnathambi's gounder IMO

NOV
5th January 2011, 01:27 PM
Although Gounder's part should never be part of a film evaluation - he operates in a different planeIs there any film I can stand that he has acted in? :think:

Plum
5th January 2011, 01:30 PM
Mannan's gounder was more enjoyable than Chinnathambi's gounder IMO
Mannan is there right up in the hierarchy. All said and done, Chinnathambi is telugu-type comic setup. Something that a Brahmanandam will revel in - not really a typical Gounder track. What I meant was, it is not like "I liked it then and cringe about it now". Not that bad is what I mean.

Scale
5th January 2011, 01:31 PM
ha... ha.... Good one PR.

Still its grass itching <the background music> nenjila kuthikka vendiyathu

ajaybaskar
5th January 2011, 01:31 PM
Ok....

AudazJay
5th January 2011, 01:34 PM
Although Gounder's part should never be part of a film evaluation - he operates in a different planeIs there any film I can stand that he has acted in? :think:

I wouldn't hope so. You either love him or hate him...you can't be anything in between the two. He was definitely a gem of its own and had a style which he never compromised with in any of his films. Even Vivek and Vadivelu had to change their styles according to the actors they act with or even the audience's taste. Goundamani was always the same :thumbsup:

kid-glove
5th January 2011, 01:34 PM

:exactly:

And couple of scenes in Bombay as well..

Vaaname Ellai, Jathi Malli 'lam ippo severe :facepalm:

Plum
5th January 2011, 01:36 PM
Even Vivek and Vadivelu had to change their styles according to the actors they act with or even the audience's taste.

The funniest line of Vivek in recent times wasn't in his movies. It was this:

Vivek comedunAlE message irukkumgaradhai udaichchu comedykAga comedy paNNinOm "Singam" padathula

equanimus
5th January 2011, 01:37 PM
Ratchagan

Watched it 17 times in theatre. :cry2:

Now.. :oops: :ashamed:Whoa. Respect.

Plum
5th January 2011, 01:38 PM
jAdhi malli - :rotfl: neraiya.
GeneralAvE, typical eyebrows arched, eyeballs raised style of KB heroines is annoying. Well, it was always annoying wasnt it? I guess Sujatha/Revathy were the only ones who didnt do much of that in their respective movies with KB

Well, at long last, I can think of pudhumaipeNN. Revathy's "theekuLikkaNumA" is abso******lutely cringeworthy and I became her fan based on maNN vAsanai and this one. But idhellAM 1990slEyE gnAnOdayam vandhurichi

kid-glove
5th January 2011, 01:39 PM
BR's films (except MM and Kamal ones) were unimpressive even then..

Plum
5th January 2011, 01:41 PM
mudhal mariyAdhaiyE some scenes are now cringeworthynga.
The acting in his movies puts me off nearly every time. ellA facelaiyum baradhiraja dhAn theriyurAr. appuram batsman shot adichuttu follow throughla pose kudukkarA mAdhiri dialogue sollittum pose maindain paNNuvAnga pArunga...

equanimus
5th January 2011, 01:42 PM
எனக்கு அந்த ரோஜா flag scene அப்பவே conpees தான். யாரு கிட்டயும் எதுவும் சொல்லிக்கல, but I remember feeling like, "oh, this is perhaps one of those things one ought to appreciate" or something to that effect.

kid-glove
5th January 2011, 01:42 PM
Actually, I liked MM for NT, Vadivu wonly.

P_R
5th January 2011, 01:43 PM
And couple of scenes in Bombay as well. Kid and then Kitti saving Nasser scene ellAm dhaanE :lol2:

But appadiyAppatta kuzhandhai manam padaitha enakku kooda andha climoks pudikkalai.

Plum
5th January 2011, 01:44 PM
Even muLLum malarum sila scenes were konjam embarassing when I recently influenced my wife to watch an all-time classic-nu solli. Don't remember now exactly which ones.

P_R
5th January 2011, 01:45 PM
எனக்கு அந்த ரோஜா flag scene அப்பவே conpees தான். யாரு கிட்டயும் எதுவும் சொல்லிக்கல, but I remember feeling like, "oh, this is perhaps one of those things one ought to appreciate" or something to that effect.

அப்பொலேர்ந்தேவா :lol2:

P_R
5th January 2011, 01:47 PM
Kalaignan Kamal cool-nu thirinja iLamai kaalangaL uNdu.
IIRC "indha ammaNiyai thEdikkittu irukkeengaLA"-ku theatrela kai thattinOm.

Now it is very 'yAr rA kai thattunadhu' :ashamed:

I think it is his worst acting performance in the 90s. sEmbil: endhan nenjil pAttukku munnAdi oru party scene varum. :oops:

To quote Kamal himself from Aboorva S: nee geer pOda sollo...pallellAm koosudhu

equanimus
5th January 2011, 01:49 PM
But படம் பிடிச்சிருந்துச்சுங்க. Bombay too. ஏன், அந்தப் படம் 'லாம் இப்பவுமே முழுசா "can't stand" 'னு சொல்றதுக்கில்ல. Especially Bombay first half 'லாம் நல்லாவே இருக்கே!

kid-glove
5th January 2011, 01:50 PM
I generally like films with child characters.

So pliss to excuse.

*gulps*

Nattukku oru nallavan

Raja Chinna Roja

VHS tapes used to be a regular on my VCR player in the evenings.

:oops:

P_R
5th January 2011, 01:51 PM
Especially Bombay first half 'லாம் நல்லாவே இருக்கே!
அதென்னமோ குடாக்குத்தனமா இருந்தாலும் DilSe louss was more 'convincing' than Bambai.

Plum
5th January 2011, 01:52 PM

IIRC, as recent as this year, you said this in HUb - not as a reminsience but as a current statement!

P_R
5th January 2011, 01:53 PM
I generally like films with child characters.
Raja Chinna Roja

Flau, take posisan..

equanimus
5th January 2011, 01:53 PM
IIRC "indha ammaNiyai thEdikkittu irukkeengaLA"-ku theatrela kai thattinOm.

Now it is very 'yAr rA kai thattunadhu' :ashamed:

I think it is his worst acting performance in the 90s. sEmbil: endhan nenjil pAttukku munnAdi oru party scene varum. :oops:

To quote Kamal himself from Aboorva S: nee geer pOda sollo...pallellAm koosudhu:rotfl: Didn't see this film right when it was released, but yes, I liked this film! ஏதாவது ஒரு நல்ல entry கிட்டுமான்னு, யோசிச்சிக்கிட்டு இருந்தேன். This one does.

Plum
5th January 2011, 01:54 PM
kid says: "shalini ente koottukAri"

P_R
5th January 2011, 01:54 PM

IIRC, as recent as this year, you said this in HUb - not as a reminsience but as a current statement!

Must have meant the songs...stage presence etc. adhellAm oru maadhiri nallaa thaan irukkum.

But louus, tiffs with that gael ellAm :oops:

equanimus
5th January 2011, 01:59 PM
Especially Bombay first half 'லாம் நல்லாவே இருக்கே!
அதென்னமோ குடாக்குத்தனமா இருந்தாலும் DilSe louss was more 'convincing' than Bambai.தாராளமா இருந்துட்டுப் போகட்டுமே. அந்த "ப ச நி ச நி ச" background vocal 'க்காகவே (அந்த ரெண்டு) romance scenes 'ஐ திரும்பத் திரும்பப் பாக்கறது தொன்று தொட்டு வர்ற வழக்கம்.

kid-glove
5th January 2011, 02:02 PM
kid says: "shalini ente koottukAri"

Shalini > Shamili. :P

P_R
5th January 2011, 02:03 PM
இதெல்லாம் ஒரு காரணாமாய்யான்னு நான் கேப்பேன். அப்புறம் ஒரு கோரஸ்ல எல்லாரும், அப்பொ போய் புஸ்தகம் படி 'ன்னுவீங்க.

ஏதோ ரசிச்சிட்டு போங்க. எனக்கென்ன வந்துது.

kid-glove
5th January 2011, 02:04 PM
இதெல்லாம் ஒரு காரணாமாய்யான்னு நான் கேப்பேன். அப்புறம் ஒரு கோரஸ்ல எல்லாரும், அப்பொ போய் புஸ்தகம் படி 'ன்னுவீங்க.

ஏதோ ரசிச்சிட்டு போங்க. எனக்கென்ன வந்துது.

Ha ha..

equanimus
5th January 2011, 02:06 PM
அந்த "ப ச நி ச நி ச" background vocal 'க்காகவே (அந்த ரெண்டு) romance scenesThis isn't the right thread to ask, but could someone point me to this video if it's available somewhere? ஈடீப் 'ல தேடுனேன், கிடைக்க மாட்டேங்குது.

groucho070
5th January 2011, 02:06 PM
Actually, grouch, you have made me think whether I have grown at all in the last 20 years. appO pudichadhellAm ippovum pudichirukku evLO yOsichAlum. Either I matured too early or I am still a yeng.I am along that line, though am a late bloomer when it comes to NT. He came changed lots of things for me when I look back, and also because of him, my love for Kamal and Rajini was never compromised.

groucho070
5th January 2011, 02:09 PM
mudhal mariyAdhaiyE some scenes are now cringeworthynga.He made NT do that laughing with head cranked up and down thingy :hammer:

equanimus
5th January 2011, 02:09 PM
Actually, many of the ordinary films I liked back in those days are still more like guilty pleasures than the "வெக்கப் படறேன், வேதனைப் படறேன், வருத்தப் படறேன்" kind to me.

P_R
5th January 2011, 02:12 PM
mudhal mariyAdhaiyE some scenes are now cringeworthynga.He made NT do that laughing with head cranked up and down thingy :hammer:

Hey..I don't mind that at all. The climax is :ashamed:

groucho070
5th January 2011, 02:16 PM
Even muLLum malarum sila scenes were konjam embarassing when I recently influenced my wife to watch an all-time classic-nu solli. Don't remember now exactly which ones.Not embarassing, but continuity. When Sarath Babu's allakai calls on Kali who's busy shaving, less than half of his face would have foam. When he arrives at Sarath's place (ippave varasoneggalame), only a small portion of the foam shaved off.

And the drunk after hitting the sister scene, he'd ask her, "Valikuthama?" gesturing that he slapped her. Actually all he did was to push the tiffin carrier away.

groucho070
5th January 2011, 02:19 PM
Hey..I don't mind that at all. The climax is :ashamed:Well, NT too got inducted in the long list of hero/ine waiting for lover after the latter's jail sentence. His own son was inducted in Ulavan :roll: And I love both films :wink: Both of their scenes didn't involve train, so estra mark :P

Edit. Wait. I'm wrong. Got train :(

kid-glove
5th January 2011, 02:23 PM
All the MCP Masala films.

Plum
5th January 2011, 02:24 PM

:precisely: - NT facelaiyE baradhiraja mugam theriya vechuttar :evil:

groucho070
5th January 2011, 02:27 PM
And there was a bunch of revenge films in the 80s, by Prabhu, Karthik and VK pre-86. I still remember villain Radha Ravi's dialogue, "avan namma kathave udaikkira munnadi, naama avan kathava udaikkanum!"

I saw one of it recently, Adhisaya Piravikal....Jeezz....how the heck did I enjoy them :oops:

Plum
5th January 2011, 02:29 PM
Maybe Malayoor MambattiyAn - Prashanth thandhai suda padum bOdhu kaNNIr ellAm vadichirukkEn :ashamed:

raajarasigan
5th January 2011, 02:34 PM
almost all SAC films.. chinna vayasula sandai padamnu paarthu rasichen.. aana ippo :twisted:

NSM, NMA, Enakku naane neethipathi (remba kastapattu yosichi padam peru gbakathukku vandhadhu), Saatchi ...

Bala (Karthik)
5th January 2011, 02:48 PM
Oomai Vizhigal, Inaindha Kaigal ellam inga yaravadhu rasichirukkeengala? :oops: :auu:

kid-glove
5th January 2011, 02:49 PM
Oomai Vizhigal, Inaindha Kaigal ellam inga yaravadhu rasichirukkeengala? :oops: :auu:

But the point is that you could stand 'em even today. More of 'guilty pleasures' than have a strong aversion to it..

littlemaster1982
5th January 2011, 02:50 PM

:yes: Iyam. I was a big fan of IK. Sila varudangalukku munbu thirumba paarthappadhan :| But some of the action scenes are well shot (considering the time it released).

Thirumaran
5th January 2011, 02:52 PM

But the point is that you could stand 'em even today. More of 'guilty pleasures' than have a strong aversion to it..

yeah.. only problem is acting skills in those films especially Arunpandiyan..

raajarasigan
5th January 2011, 02:53 PM
OV is still watchable for me 8-) IK fulla paarthadhilla... aana andha interval scene -- kayir pidichu thongura scene - antha oru scenekke padatha pakkalamnu solluvainga..

appadi oru brahamaandamana scene athu andha timela.. :)

kid-glove
5th January 2011, 02:59 PM
I like the cliff-hanging sequence too. Background score innum kadhula kEkkudhu..

Bala (Karthik)
5th January 2011, 03:06 PM
:nalla velai:, ippo setha thevalai :razz:

Bala (Karthik)
5th January 2011, 03:07 PM
mudhal mariyAdhaiyE some scenes are now cringeworthynga.
The acting in his movies puts me off nearly every time. ellA facelaiyum baradhiraja dhAn theriyurAr. appuram batsman shot adichuttu follow throughla pose kudukkarA mAdhiri dialogue sollittum pose maindain paNNuvAnga pArunga...

Cinemarasigan
5th January 2011, 03:08 PM
I like the cliff-hanging sequence too. Background score innum kadhula kEkkudhu..

That is because
Music Directors - Manoj - Kiyan
Inai Isai - Aabaavaanan :lol:

Cinemarasigan
5th January 2011, 03:10 PM

yeah.. only problem is acting skills in those films especially Arunpandiyan..

Marakkattai maadhiri face Vachiruppaaru.. no expression..

Bala (Karthik)
5th January 2011, 03:12 PM
Actually expression prachanai illa nu nenaikkaren. Stylish a irukken nu summa nikkumbodhu kooda edhavadhu style pannuvaaru. And fights la expression konjam thookkalaave irukkum

Cinemarasigan
5th January 2011, 03:14 PM
Amithab- ai copy panna try panraroa -nnu sandegam varum..

hattori_hanzo
5th January 2011, 04:33 PM
Actually expression prachanai illa nu nenaikkaren. Stylish a irukken nu summa nikkumbodhu kooda edhavadhu style pannuvaaru. And fights la expression konjam thookkalaave irukkum

Nerd
5th January 2011, 07:31 PM
அந்த "ப ச நி ச நி ச" background vocal 'க்காகவே (அந்த ரெண்டு) romance scenesThis isn't the right thread to ask, but could someone point me to this video if it's available somewhere? ஈடீப் 'ல தேடுனேன்,
கிடைக்க மாட்டேங்குது.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4RoAQyv0dI

book vaanga varra scene irukku from 1:50. apdiyE camera rolling-la pOyi.. sema scene'bA.. From my bookmark :-)

Telugu-la konjam extra scenes irukku - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq6j-u4jN1Q

ajaybaskar
5th January 2011, 07:42 PM
Nerd +1

hamid
5th January 2011, 07:45 PM
TR Films

Vivasaayi
5th January 2011, 07:58 PM
TR Films

nesamava?

hamid
5th January 2011, 08:01 PM
Yep. I liked them those days :oops:

V_S
5th January 2011, 08:56 PM
Another film from my favorite list is "Kaathalukku Mariyaathai". I still don't how I appreciated that film that time, watching many times. Recently when I watched, I did not have the same enthu I watched when I was in 20's.

The plot itself is not convincing and looked amateur to me now, both Vijay and Shalini were bonded with their family, but somehow they love each other, as if someone forced them to love, absolutely 0% chemistry between them. Over senti movie with no one lived to that role, only acted. For me, the movie was very artificial and very cinematic. Only saving grace is IR music.

Ithela enna comedyna, when I went to Mumbai as I got placement there at that time, I was surprised to see the Hindi version of this film named "Doli Saja Ke Rakhna" directed by Priyadarshan. I even recommended this film and took some of my Marati friends for this film. Again only saving grace is ARR.

raajarasigan
5th January 2011, 10:34 PM
Kadalukku Mariyaadhai nalla thaana irikki ippavum... hmm... 8-)

V_S
6th January 2011, 06:45 AM
Yes I agree, it was a good movie at that time, may be I am getting older to appreciate it now. There were few other love theme movies which came during 90's also fall under this category, they were hit at that time, but not evergreen.
When I read my post again, I felt I was harsh, so edited now. Sorry, if my post hurt anyone.

Plum
6th January 2011, 06:57 AM
V-s - or hmmkkE post edit paNNittInga? Ivainga ipdi thaan edhukeduththaalum hurt AvAnga boss - ninga sonnadhellaam onyume illai - adhukkellaam bayandhaa post paNNa mudiyaadhu. Restore ur post i say!

jaiganes
6th January 2011, 07:07 AM
V-s - or hmmkkE post edit paNNittInga? Ivainga ipdi thaan edhukeduththaalum hurt AvAnga boss - ninga sonnadhellaam onyume illai - adhukkellaam bayandhaa post paNNa mudiyaadhu. Restore ur post i say!
True..
Kaadhalukku mariyaadhai hasnt aged well at all as a film.
Except for climax and songs, one might as well run the tape, go for a lengthy dhum or canteen session and join just in time for Manivannan sequences to come and offcourse - The climax.
Another movie that hasnt aged well for me is MaappiLLai. I was crazy abt this movie when it was released. On a subsequent revisit, I was like "Aiyye idhukkaa"..

V_S
6th January 2011, 07:48 AM
Thanks Plum! Neenga sollitteengailla, I will come with my next film with attack!! :lol:

venkkiram
6th January 2011, 09:55 AM
புதுப்புது அர்த்தங்கள்
அலைகள் ஓய்வதில்லை
காதல் பரிசு
உயிருள்ள வரை உஷா

raajarasigan
6th January 2011, 10:13 AM
Yes I agree, it was a good movie at that time, may be I am getting older to appreciate it now. There were few other love theme movies which came during 90's also fall under this category, they were hit at that time, but not evergreen.
When I read my post again, I felt I was harsh, so edited now. Sorry, if my post hurt anyone.V_S, hurt ella illeng... :lol: unga karauthoda udanpada mudiyala... avlothan.. 8-) ithukku avasarapattu EDIT vera pannitteenga... உங்களுக்கு ரெம்ப இளகின மனசு...

Cinemarasigan
6th January 2011, 10:49 AM
When I read my post again, I felt I was harsh, so edited now. Sorry, if my post hurt anyone.V_S, hurt ella illeng... :lol: unga karauthoda udanpada mudiyala... avlothan.. 8-) ithukku avasarapattu EDIT vera pannitteenga... உங்களுக்கு ரெம்ப இளகின மனசு...
hmm.. -nu sonnadhai mirattalaa eduthukittaarnu nenaikaren.. :lol:

VENKIRAJA
6th January 2011, 01:09 PM
நிழல்கள்

equanimus
8th January 2011, 02:21 PM
book vaanga varra scene irukku from 1:50. apdiyE camera rolling-la pOyi.. sema scene'bA.. From my bookmark :-)ஆமாம், ஆமாம்! Great shots, seriously. Muchas gracias Nerd!

hattori_hanzo
8th January 2011, 06:44 PM
Moondru Mugam (especially the Karettar 'Jaan')
EKRI! Appo naan romba rasichu paatha padamam...veetla solluvaango. :ashamed:

I have even enjoyed YGM's comedies in movies like Uyarndha Ullam those days. :hammer:

Sathyaraj's famous words 'Thagidu Thagidu' in Khaki Chattai. It was a rage those days but now when u see u feel, 'Idhuva Avalo Hit aachu?' .

groucho070
10th January 2011, 07:17 AM
H_H, these days I enjoy Jaan better than Alex himself. Alex is stylish, but Jaan is hillarious. The main dude is boring (except for the beginning samiyar scenes), these two kept the otherwise so and so film alive.

Plum
10th January 2011, 07:31 AM
"Even enjoyed YGM comedies"
This is guilty pain :)

HonestRaj
10th January 2011, 07:37 AM
Sathyaraj's famous words 'Thagidu Thagidu' in Khaki Chattai. It was a rage those days but now when u see u feel, 'Idhuva Avalo Hit aachu?' .

i feel that... ivanungala ippa solli solli hit madhiri kaatturangalO

jinju
15th January 2011, 09:15 AM
Chinnathambi, Senthamizhpaattu, Amaran, Roja, Bombay, Vichu's Thaamirabarani (edho padam BOla bayangaramnu buildup, paathappo nallaa irundhuchu until i recently saw few scenes in TV), Jeevan's Naan Avan Illai (believe me, i liked it...the heroines helped, yes! till i saw it again on tv...oof!) more to come.

SoftSword
17th January 2011, 06:28 PM
True..
Kaadhalukku mariyaadhai hasnt aged well at all as a film.
Except for climax and songs, one might as well run the tape, go for a lengthy dhum or canteen session and join just in time for Manivannan sequences to come and offcourse - The climax.
Another movie that hasnt aged well for me is MaappiLLai. I was crazy abt this movie when it was released. On a subsequent revisit, I was like "Aiyye idhukkaa"..

agree to most of ur points...
when i watched it the last time, i exactly forwarded to the manivanna portions... especially the aiyaa oodu song... the fun we had in theatres... oru effect'kaga kallu adichuttu ponadhellam... :)

the most dumb comedy sequence was the 'hello' comedy.... idhukkellam koodave repeat panni vizhundhu vizhundhu sirichirukken.... :banghead:

ajaybaskar
17th January 2011, 06:31 PM
Arunachalam...

Riyazz
17th January 2011, 06:37 PM
Agni natchatram. .

ajaybaskar
17th January 2011, 06:39 PM
Agni natchatram. .

:shock:

Pras
17th January 2011, 06:49 PM
Agni natchatram. .

:shock:

double : :shock: :shock:

SoftSword
17th January 2011, 06:56 PM
I guess all the movies of Kadhir, Vikraman, Praveen Kanth.

ajaybaskar
17th January 2011, 06:58 PM
Ivanga padamellam appove enakku ukkarndhu paarkka mudiyala.. (Except Ratchagan of course)

SuraTheLeader
17th January 2011, 07:06 PM
Ivanga padamellam appove enakku ukkarndhu paarkka mudiyala.. (Except Ratchagan of course)

Even after 17 times-a :D

SoftSword
17th January 2011, 07:11 PM

idhula nadula irukkavar padamellaam, pongal diwali'ku appa amma matrum nam uravinar ellaarayum adhisayama theatreku kootti poradhukkagave vandha padangal... most of the times padattha vida.. ivanga ellaarum padattha rasikkiraangalanu paathe time poidum...

first and third, ARR'kaga appo rasicha padangal... but, kadhal desam dialogues ellaam appo rasichirukaen :oops:

'en idhaya araikkul enro vandhaval.. en araikkul inru dhaan vandhaal'..
my friend: adhan vantaa illa.. kadhava sathurana... kavidhai paditu irukkan...

SuraTheLeader
17th January 2011, 07:14 PM

idhula nadula irukkavar padamellaam, pongal diwali'ku appa amma matrum nam uravinar ellaarayum adhisayama theatreku kootti poradhukkagave vandha padangal... most of the times padattha vida.. ivanga ellaarum padattha rasikkiraangalanu paathe time poidum...

first and third, ARR'kaga appo rasicha padangal... but, kadhal desam dialogues ellaam appo rasichirukaen :oops:

'en idhaya araikkul enro vandhaval.. en araikkul inru dhaan vandhaal'..
my friend: adhan vantaa illa.. kadhava sathurana... kavidhai paditu irukkan...

:rotfl2:

Riyazz
17th January 2011, 08:02 PM
Agni natchatram. .

:shock: sorry title a misunderstand panni tan . . :ashamed:

Jyothsna
18th January 2011, 11:55 PM
Enakkul Oruvan
Puthu Puthu Arthangal
Kalki

mexicomeat
19th January 2011, 12:34 AM
I think that this thread is a cunning scheme to identify our age group.

:evil:

thamiz
19th January 2011, 12:56 AM
I think that this thread is a cunning scheme to identify our age group.

:evil:

Finally you realized that! :rotfl:

groucho070
17th January 2012, 03:31 PM
Thanks Scale.

Intha thread maranthE poyitEn.

groucho070
17th January 2012, 03:42 PM
Ada neenga vera..

Naan theatrekulla pogumbodhellam ticket kizhikkiravar keppar "Enna thambi, nethu aalai kanoam?".I still remember this, and I still :rotfl:

Scale
17th January 2012, 03:56 PM
Flag Waving :)

http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8822-Films-Documentary-that-made-you-post-here&p=801150&viewfull=1#post801150

PARAMASHIVAN
17th January 2012, 03:59 PM
Maybe thrisoolam - bonafide blockbuster watched with keen intent in theatre at 7 years of age. ...

ippO yEn ungaluku 40 vayas ennu sollamal sollureenga :lol2: :yessir:

groucho070
17th January 2012, 03:59 PM
Yeah, I picked up from there. Thanks.

Scale
17th January 2012, 04:03 PM
A suggestion: Why not we keep both these threads (what we have seen and what we can't stand) sticky.

PARAMASHIVAN
17th January 2012, 04:11 PM
My top of the list is "Karakattakaran" , eppadi thaan intha padatha parthaNo , athuvum Rama raasanoda padatha :sigh2: The few things I liked about the movie were IR's songs (with few exemptions, esp the suthapals by Mano) and Annan's comedy!

groucho070
17th January 2012, 04:27 PM
KarakAttakAran was watched for that two reasons, it became a success because of that two reasons back then. So, appadi pArthA, padam innum nikkuthu.

PARAMASHIVAN
17th January 2012, 04:38 PM
KarakAttakAran was watched for that two reasons, it became a success because of that two reasons back then. So, appadi pArthA, padam innum nikkuthu.

Yes, but I would rather listen to the songs on a CD and watch annan's comedy clips rather than watching the film :)

P_R
17th January 2012, 05:19 PM
Grouch, watch again I say. It is a good movie. Tightly written. Character intros, scene transitions ellAm siRappAvE irukkum.
The last half hour or so is weak and caters to all sort of cliches but quite an engaging watch.
Right from the title sequence, good fun.

Ramarajan to Gounder: idhai ippadiyE vidunga (exits frame)
Senthil to Gounder: pfffff

rsubras
17th January 2012, 07:10 PM
IR's music (and songs) gave life to otherwise dumb movies made heroes out of nowhere and made damp squib movies as silver jubilee hits (major benefactors: ramarajan and mohan...innikum avanga naan Rajini kamal films pottiya hits koduthavan nu avanga interview kodukkarathukku karanama irunthavaru Raja sir)

Karagattakaran though an enjoyable entertainer was never a blockbuster material without IR's music... appadi paartha ithe maathiri right mix of sentiment, comedy, action, masala (and a beautiful heroine to top it all) voda ethanaiyo padam innikum vanthuttu irukku but have failed to set the box office on fire for want of a superstar tag (in the form of musician / director / hero, heroine)

P_R
17th January 2012, 07:14 PM
No soora mokkai screenplay can become a widely enjoyed film simply because of music - solla vaikkireengaLE.

Plum
17th January 2012, 07:20 PM
Feeyaar - solRadhu vERa madhaththukArar. Note the point. Ayiram dhaan irundhaalum, vERa vERa kadavuLA irundhAlum, settu sErndhuttOm pArthIngaLA? :). You only are atheist undesirable element

P_R
17th January 2012, 07:30 PM
Hidden gems-nu ellAm unearth paNreengaLE. How? Meesicnaala dabbA padam kit aagumnA adhellAm yEn thONdi edukka vENdi irukku?
paguthaRivOdu sindhichchu paarunga.

First mobile-ai ufgrade paNNunga. unga oruththarukkAga, roman letters-la type paNNa vENdi irukku.

SoftSword
17th January 2012, 09:07 PM

third reason:
nnenjjhu nnenjjhaa midhichhaangakkhaa..

SoftSword
17th January 2012, 09:10 PM
Hidden gems-nu ellAm unearth paNreengaLE. How? Meesicnaala dabbA padam kit aagumnA adhellAm yEn thONdi edukka vENdi irukku?
paguthaRivOdu sindhichchu paarunga.

First mobile-ai ufgrade paNNunga. unga oruththarukkAga, roman letters-la type paNNa vENdi irukku.

imagining pr as hubbysake with that helping periyavar in the idea 3g ad.

rotten idea sirjeee...

P_R
17th January 2012, 09:19 PM
In that ad, latest phone pai-la vachchukittu o/c kEkkurAn kanjappaya.

Plum
17th January 2012, 09:34 PM
It is one thing to feel embarassed at a movie you enjoyed once upon a time. Quite another level is what I had with "Saadhanai". Was reminded of it since grouch specifically has solicited my view on this in the first post. When I first watched it, I actually suffered because I thought it was a masterpiece which I am only unable to understand. What with a Professor at the helm(which means automatically intellectual filmAmAm :lol:), some non-existent, perceived half-understood subtexts and all, I used to feel so stupid at not getting it. Idhai edhula sErkuRadhu :banghead:

venkkiram
17th January 2012, 10:43 PM
P_r சொல்வதுபோல, கரகாட்டக்காரின் வெற்றிக்கு இசை மட்டுமல்ல. தெளிவான நீரோட்டம் போல அமைந்துள்ள காட்சி நகர்வுகள் அதுவும் நகைச்சுவை இழையோடு! அப்பாவுக்கு கரகாட்டக்காரன், பையனுக்கு சென்னை 600028. எங்க கிராமப் பகுதிகளில் மூன்றே மூன்று படங்களின் ஒலிச்சித்திர கேசட்டுகள் தான் புகழ் பெற்றவை. குழல் ஸ்பீக்கர்களில் விழாக் கால தினங்களில் ஒலிபரப்பப் பட்டவை. திருவிளையாடல், விதி, கரகாட்டக்காரன். ( ஒலிச் சித்திரங்களில் பாடல்களின் நீளம் மிகவும் குறைவு. இல்லையென்றே சொல்லிவிடலாம் )

PARAMASHIVAN
17th January 2012, 10:48 PM
Venki

Regardless of the story line/screen play of Karakattakaran, IMHO, i still thing IR's music and Annan's comedy were the big selling point! And it has been like that for many RR, Mohan and Murali films in the 80's .

groucho070
18th January 2012, 06:54 AM
Grouch, watch again I say. It is a good movie. Tightly written. Character intros, scene transitions ellAm siRappAvE irukkum.Thanks to V_S, I have softened towards RamarAjan. Wife seen the clips, urging me to get the whole movie. I should.

srimal
18th January 2012, 07:22 AM
chembaruthi (prasanth, roja, banumathi) - i loved the songs and felt roja and prasanth looked so cute together !!!

i cant stand the movie now :(

rsubras
18th January 2012, 11:39 AM
ellam ok than...aana innikum ethanaiyo padangal good screenplay, super comedy and good act irunthum oru star material illathathala (in terms of actors, music directors, directors etc.,) average grossers ah irunthirukku........ but good films ah block buster ah gavum (karagattakaran) , average films ah super hit ah vum (vaidehi kaathirunthaal, enga ooru paatukkaran type of films), turkeys ah 100 days run films ah vum (dont have examples for this...) , uppuma padathai (like solla thudikkuthu manasu) average grossers ah vum 1980's & 90's IR music aakirukku enbathu marukka mudiyaatha unmai nu ninaikkiraen :)

kubrick
18th January 2012, 11:44 AM
Jeans

I watched this movie 3 times in the theater. Still love the songs and aishwarya rai apart from that I couldn't sit through it without flipping channels now & then. I used to love this movie so much, ippo thaangala.

smaiitm
5th February 2012, 07:53 PM
Vetri Vizha

Saw this movie again very recently. The only reason I liked this movie then and could endure now was because of Prabhu and the beautiful Amala. However the characterization of the Jason Bourne character is quite miserable. Could not stand that character or his lead female. I saw this movie during its release because it was meant to have been based on Bourne Identity. And having already read the book, one had already formed an image of Bourne. The movie was nothing remotely close. It was a pain to endure the movie till the entry of the Prabhu-Amala pair.

ecureuhapis
6th February 2012, 11:02 PM
vellai roja ellam hitchcockian thriller-nu solli thirintha kalam undu.

hattori_hanzo
6th February 2012, 11:42 PM
smaiitm,

Prabhu-Amala pair? Do you mean Prabhu-Kushbu pair or Prabhu's & Amala's entry, which are two different scenes?
For me, VV still remains a very engaging movie. Amnesia'va nalla thaane kaamichiruppaanga. Raja's BGM rocks :thumbsup:, whenever Kamal gets reminded of his past - when starts the SUV, visits the bank and then when he enters the martial arts training center. I agree, Sasikala-Amala role reverse pannirukkalaam. And script innum konjam tighta irundhirukkalaam.

One of the scenes which I hated is the one preceding 'Vaanamenna Keezhirukku's song - Janakaraj's long speech to his followers. SS Chandran and Chinni too were out of form, given their limited screen presence.

Russellmok
26th November 2014, 03:16 AM
Many Vijay films