PDA

View Full Version : Cricket - the Gentleman's game

Plum
10th January 2011, 07:15 PM
While the IPLs and in-your-face-attitudes change the face of the game, there is still room for old-fashioned gentlemanly spirit and dying or not, scope to discuss cricketers who represent old-fashioned chivalry and "spirit of the game"
This thread may be used for the purpose

Plum
10th January 2011, 07:18 PM
[tscii:57f857913b] Exhibit #1 - Anil Kumble (http://sidveeblogs.wordpress.com/2011/01/07/bye-bye-kumble/)
A fine tribute to Kumble from Sid Vaidyanathan.
This is the man who famously shamed Australia with one sentence, majestically uttered with all the gravity and dignity that a long career of distinction in upholding the spirit of the game.
I found this interestingly typical of the man:

In 1990 Kumble had to miss a considerable portion of his semester because of his debut tour to England. On his return, he was asked by the head of the department why he had missed so many days of college.

This was a baffling question in itself – since almost the whole college knew about Kumble’s entry into the Indian team – but nobody was prepared for the answer that was to follow. Kumble’s succinct reply: “I was away for sports.”

What an understatement! Contrast this with his successor's shameless self-aggrandisement("The seamers didnt support me else I would have won the match for India"; "My captain didnt set the right fields for me")[/tscii:57f857913b]

sathya_1979
10th January 2011, 07:19 PM
SRT
Kumble
Dravid
Srinath
Dhoni

Gentlemen in Indian Cricket in the last 15 Years.

Plum
10th January 2011, 07:24 PM
Of these
Srinath - "ivan romba nallavanmA"
Dhoni - nallavanukku nallavan; vallavanukku vallavan
Kumble - same as above but has lesser capabilities in vallavan department than Dhoni

raajarasigan
10th January 2011, 07:32 PM
I admire Kumble for taking right decisions at the right time. It is always better to retire when you are asked "Why" than "Why NOT". He did it twice - international as well as in recent Ipl stint. A great personality indeed!!! :D

Plum
10th January 2011, 07:33 PM
BTW, Sathya you left out another "ivan romba nallavanmA" - VVS

sathya_1979
10th January 2011, 07:39 PM
oh ya, forgot :(
Plum, can u list non-indian gentlemen in the last 15-20 years?

Riyazz
10th January 2011, 07:41 PM
Azharudeen ?

raajarasigan
10th January 2011, 07:49 PM
non-india Gentlemen cricketers'na NZ than takkunnu nyabakathukku varranga... :) irundhaalum ippothaikku

Stephen Fleming - one of the most successful captains for NZ, next only to Crowe. he was aggressive but did NOT show up anything on the field. did NOT remember doing silly things even as a player.

Curtly Ambrose / Courtney Walsh - the way they celebrate the wicket :notworthy: they might have even got the wicket with one one of the finest balls ever bowled but still, "Cool, we got a wicket"..

Makaya Ntini

Plum
10th January 2011, 08:55 PM
Mark Taylor(considering Aussie standards)
M Hussey(i think even applying general standards, he'll hold up)
All English Cricketers(as per P-R standards :) )
M Muralitharan
BC Lara
Andy Flower(?)
One cricketer who is usually called gendilman but is actually a gandhaa man is Gilly. The most blatant exhibition of this came last year when he stamped on Rayudu with contempt. Sort of neela saayam veLuththu pOchu moment

sathya_1979
10th January 2011, 08:57 PM
Bhajji - as per Plum :lol:

littlemaster1982
10th January 2011, 10:14 PM
Curtly Ambrose / Courtney Walsh - the way they celebrate the wicket :notworthy: they might have even got the wicket with one one of the finest balls ever bowled but still, "Cool, we got a wicket"..

Curtly Ambrose had few extravagant celebrations but none of them looked *in your face*.

Courtney Walsh owns the most unbelievable act of sportsmanship.

In Lahore in the 1987 tournament, West Indies looked to have the match sealed when Pakistan were left needing 14 runs off the last over, to be bowled by Courtney Walsh. Abdul Qadir landed a few lusty blows and combined it with excellent running to raise visions of a victory. Off the very last ball, with two needed, Saleem Jaffar, the non-striker, could have been run out after he backed up too far, but in a fine gesture of sportsmanship Walsh refused to do so and Pakistan were reprieved. They eventually escaped with a thrilling win, as Qadir squeezed out the remaining runs. The result in the end put West Indies' chances of a semi-final place in jeopardy, though Walsh was deservingly commended for his sportsmanship.

:notworthy:

Vivasaayi
10th January 2011, 10:20 PM
Pakistani cricketers:

Saeed anwar - I like him mainly because he maintained low profile inspite of being the best batsman of his team...while some of his colleagues(his opening partner) were a little over board

Wasim Akram - Enough said.

Puliyan_Biryani
10th January 2011, 10:32 PM
Hansie Cronje? 96-la recalling Ganguly incident TV-la paathu appadiye pull arichuruchu. Sad ending but I always thought he was a gentleman on the field.

Rhodes, Jayawardene, Astle - Haven't heard/seen anything bad about these guys. Wouldn't that be enough :oops:.

littlemaster1982
10th January 2011, 10:41 PM
Hansie Cronje? 96-la recalling Ganguly incident TV-la paathu appadiye pull arichuruchu. Sad ending but I always thought he was a gentleman on the field.

Alistair Campbell did the same in a Sharjah match against India. In fact he asked the bowler not to remove the bails :shock:

And talking about Hansie Cronje, one image is etched in my mind. In a ODI match, hanging in balance, during the final overs, he missed a direct hit when the batsman was miles away from crease. Cronje threw his cap in despair and was kneeling down. I thought "what a great captain this guy is?". Here is the twist.

That ODI match - 4th ODI vs India in Baroda, 2000.
The batsman - Mohammad Azharuddin.

19thmay
11th January 2011, 10:30 AM
And talking about Hansie Cronje, one image is etched in my mind. In a ODI match, hanging in balance, during the final overs, he missed a direct hit when the batsman was miles away from crease. Cronje threw his cap in despair and was kneeling down. I thought "what a great captain this guy is?". Here is the twist.

:)

On topic

A'De Silva
S.Waugh

P_R
11th January 2011, 12:13 PM
Once I recall because Mongia's goof-up, Azhar and Mongia both ended up in the non-striker's end. Dave Richardson collected the throw and waited for Mongia's to sacrifice his wicket. But our man turned away from Azhar and seemed to be observing the audience instead. Richardson then quite reluctantly took the bails off to get Azhar out.

Once Pakistan got an explosive looking Srikkanth out lbw (I thing Srikkanth was captain then). Srikkanth protested saying he had an inside edge. Imran had the decision reversed. Srikkanth promptly edged one to slip next over and got out. :lol:

Plum
11th January 2011, 12:43 PM
Once I recall because Mongia's goof-up, Azhar and Mongia both ended up in the non-striker's end. Dave Richardson collected the throw and waited for Mongia's to sacrifice his wicket. But our man turned away from Azhar and seemed to be observing the audience instead. Richardson then quite reluctantly took the bails off to get Azhar out
Considering the principals involved, a whole lot of possibilities!

SoftSword
24th January 2011, 08:59 PM

Alistair Campbell did the same in a Sharjah match against India. In fact he asked the bowler not to remove the bails :shock:

idhe ellaam vilakkamaa eludhuna nangalum therinjukkuvom... high level'laye pesikireengalae...

Ramakrishna
24th January 2011, 09:23 PM
Softie, that was the series which was famous for the match fixing scandal. Do you get the link now?

venkkiram
24th January 2011, 10:15 PM
ஒரு டெஸ்ட் மேட்சில் (http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63662.html), வெங்கடபதி ராஜுவின் சுழல் பந்து லாராவின் Batல் உரசிச் செல்ல கீப்பர் மோங்கியா பிடித்து விடுகிறார். மெல்லிய சத்தம். அதனால் ராஜுவும் out கேட்கவில்லை. மோங்கியா மட்டும் out கேட்டு குதிக்கிறார். அம்பயர் நம்ம வெங்கட்ராகவன் - Not out என தலையை ஆட்டியும் சொல்லியும் நிராகரிக்க, அதற்கு அப்புறம் லாரா வெளியேறிச் செல்கிறார். எடுத்திருந்த ரன்கள் 91. அமைதி காத்திருந்தால் சுலபமாக இன்னொரு சதம் அடித்திருக்கலாம். Thats one of the gentleman's game I still remember.

jinju
24th January 2011, 10:30 PM
I quite like Brett Lee. I don't know whether he's crossed the line anytime, but i've found him an unassuming character for a tearaway quickie! he has immense respect for SRT, VVS, and is always the first to applaud a batsman. also, i've hardly seen him sledge, it's mostly a wry grin at the batter if he's continuously beaten or struggling. i like that 'jump' celebration of his which he used to do in his early days. a very good athlete!

amongst Indians, Rahul Sarath Dravid (my role model sportsman) and VVS.

Sanath Jayasuriya is someone i like. after those murderous innings he played in the 96 WC, he and Ravi Shastri were invited for some jewellery showroom inaugaration in Trivandrum. and he was asked some questions by the anchor, and i amongst many, were waiting with baited breath for this small giant to open his mouth...to a question "what wud u've been if not a cricketer?", sanath to my utter shock replied in an almost boyish voice "if...not...cricketer....i a doctor!". it was quite an anticlimax that this man who was uncompromising with the bat on a cricket field was so shy and unassuming off the field! all the anger i had on him for blasting our team evaporated that instant. and when asked for an autograph, he readily obliged too, unlike the vuvuzela shastri!

and West Indies of late 80s and early 90s, i loved their style of cricket...they were on top all the time but hardly arrogant or snooty. mostly their style of cricket, Haynes, Greendidge, Viv Richards, even Richardson, Jeff Dujon and then the giant bowlers.

SoftSword
24th January 2011, 11:04 PM
Softie, that was the series which was famous for the match fixing scandal. Do you get the link now?

ya rk... got it....
namakku avlo detailed'a ellam nyabagam kedayadhu...

Plum
25th January 2011, 06:40 AM
Lee - twice bowled deliberate beamers at batsmen and half-heartedly only apologised later. Both times, Atherton wrote vakkalathu for him.
In between the two, sreesanth bowled one and atherton wrote to ban sreesanth. I linked his Lee articles and asked
"Oru pudhu paiyan first seriesla beamer pOdaRAn avanai ban paNNanum but aanaa oruthan pala varushamaa fieldla irundhuttu beamer poduvaan avan nallavan, nallaa irukkuyya un sense of fairness. Leekku mattum cutout, srisanthukku getoutA?"-nu kettEn.
His reply was nee racist.
Idhaan english gendilmen lakshanam. Feeyar maadhiripattavanga idhaiyellaam kettuttu apdiya idhula enna atherton racistA nadandhukittaa,, nee dhan racistumbainga. Thirundhaadha people

jinju
25th January 2011, 07:27 AM
oh yeah plum...i remember the beamers now. still, benefit of doubt kudukkalaam, coz i like ya.

littlemaster1982
25th January 2011, 08:01 AM
Lee - twice bowled deliberate beamers at batsmen and half-heartedly only apologised later.

When he bowled a beamer to Sachin, when the latter was in his 90's in Sydney Final, he immediately apologised :huh:

Sourav
25th January 2011, 08:48 AM
i have seen him bowled 2 beamers in a same match @ Mccullum as he was blasting lee's bowling.

Plum
25th January 2011, 09:36 AM
Apdi pArthA santh kooda dhaan apologise paNNApla. Infact, apologise pannittu dhaan beamerE pOttApla :lol:
J/k
Lm, lee did this to mccullum and razzaq. Coincidentally, it happened after both had thrashed him around the park. Coincidence, eh? This after 5-6 years in cricket. Ivaru nallavarAm. Chinna payyan modho seriesla oru beamer pottA avanai ban paNNanumAm. Seriously, cant you see the double standards there? Mannichu vudaradhunna chinna payyanai dhaane mannichu vudanum?(Assuming manichu vudalaam yaaraiyaavadh). Experienced campaigner, repeat offender-ai mannilkaNumAm, first time offender, chinna payyanai ban paNNanumAm.
Indha atherton gentleman-nu ingE sila maaderators sartificate koduppAnga :evil:

littlemaster1982
25th January 2011, 09:51 AM
Plum,

I'm not condoning what Brett Lee did or Atherton said. I just recollected an instance where he apologised.

Adhu enna sila maadarators :lol2: Directaave sollunga, PR kovichukka mattar ;)

ajithfederer
25th January 2011, 09:33 PM
Padmashree for VVS Laxman - Gendilmen :clap:.

satissh_r
10th October 2011, 03:40 PM
New rules from ICC get implemented today in the Challenger series. Here are a few..

The rule changes include the abolition of runners, the use of new balls from each end in one-dayers and allowing batting and bowling Powerplays to be taken only between the 16th and 40th overs. In addition, batsmen can be given out 'obstructing the field' if they change their course while running to prevent a run-out chance, and bowlers can run out non-striker's if they back up unfairly.

The rule that I have in bold letters does not seem right to me.. Is a batsman supposed to just let the ball pass by and hit the stumps? What do you all think?

Plum
10th October 2011, 09:17 PM
The problem is "deliberately". interpretation pArunga - asian batsmen paNNA ellAm "deliberateA" block paNNuadhA out kuduthuduvAnga. Aussie, English batsmen apdi paNNA, ball invaded the batsman's personal space-nu theerppu solliduvAnga :lol:

wizzy
10th October 2011, 10:45 PM
new ball at each end is death knell for spinners in odis..subcontinental teams will be at a disadvantage..Dave Richardson :evil:

Puliyan_Biryani
11th October 2011, 12:47 AM
The rule that I have in bold letters does not seem right to me.. Is a batsman supposed to just let the ball pass by and hit the stumps? What do you all think?
idhu gappithanamana rule-a irukku. Don't be surprised if fielders start aiming at the batsmen instead of the stumps :razz:.

new ball at each end is death knell for spinners in odis..subcontinental teams will be at a disadvantage..Dave Richardson :evil:
:exactly:. Anderson & Co-ku innings full-a ball swing aagum :vaazhga valamudan:. idhulayum oru inbam ennanna Swann-ku vadai pochu.

Batting and Bowling Powerplays to be taken only between the 16th and 40th overs.

This is the main phase where spinners can put some pressure and get a few quick wickets/overs in. adhuvum inime kedaiyaadhu. Bajji maadhiri yorker podara spinners-ku kondattandhaan.

Thanjavooru Kalvettu: Even before this rule came itself Sachin took Batting PP from 22nd to 26th over against NZ and forced Vettori out of the equation in that match :gethu:.

littlemaster1982
11th October 2011, 08:11 AM
Thanjavooru Kalvettu: Even before this rule came itself Sachin took Batting PP from 22nd to 26th over against NZ and forced Vettori out of the equation in that match :gethu:.

Christchurch match? The one in which he hit 163*?

wizzy
19th October 2011, 11:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEXKRdK7RXU Tufnell on Sach,Lara,Ambrose..

Puliyan_Biryani
23rd October 2011, 05:50 PM
Christchurch match? The one in which he hit 163*?
Yes. Shared a big partnership with Yuvi.

P_R
23rd October 2011, 08:23 PM
sondha saahithyam: may I come inside.
Played a kambEni internal floodlit (pAr rA!) match on Friday evening.
I was the captain of the chasing team and there was a Dhoni-Bell situation.

When we were batting there was an lbw decision that our batsman was unhappy with. The leg umpire (avanum oru colleague payapuLLa dhaan) felt it was going over so asked the umpire to reverse it (when he had no business doing such a thing).

When chasing there was a similar lbw situation. The umpire gave out. The leg umpire apparently felt it was going over. But being one rules Ramanujam refused to open the mouth. Batsman refused to leave. As the match was in balance makkaL kondhaLichufied big time. Fellows kinda forgot that they were going to work together come Monday.

And it surely felt like if we were going to win with that wicket, the whole memory of the match would be tarnished by the event. But my team-mates were adamant.
Meanwhile the batting team forced the umpires to consult (thinking they will get a favourable decision). But they huddled and confirmed the out. But it felt very very odd to me.

So I called the guy back in. The fellow promptly went ballistic the next over and wrapped up the match with nearly 2 overs to spare.

nigara laabam of the evening was a 'spirit of cricket' gift voucher for me :lol:

But, to exaggerate and self-aggrandize for a moment, I could see how people got so worked up about winning and losing. Competitive spirit ellAm sari. But one awkward situation and they were at each other's throats pretty much. And needed so much calming down that it was not funny. Well, we ended up losing so I, guess am not on solid ground in chiding aggressive/competitive cricket etc. The 'whiner' seemed to have no qualms batting on, indeed he felt a sense on entitlement (which is what annoyed most of my team-mates). To rub it in - he turned out to be the man of the match :lol: (he had taken a bunch of wickets too earlier).

So I guess the most honest way I can think about it is my favourite Nehru quote: "Real tolerance does not exist. What we do not value, we make a virtue of tolerating in others"

raajarasigan
24th October 2011, 02:01 PM
P_R, neenga epdi aaduneengannu sollve illa..

P_R
24th October 2011, 02:25 PM
oru manusan oru vishayathai choice-la viduraannA, nONdi nONdi kEkkappadaadhu.

6(5)
ashuka oru 1X4 enna azhagaana oru square drive, theriyumA.
sari nallA middle paNROmE, midwicket-la yaarum illaiyEnnu oru across the line suththu suththi asingamA bowled aanEn.

littlemaster1982
24th October 2011, 02:34 PM
PR,

That's almost an action replay of Trent Bridge test :lol: