PDA

View Full Version : Is suicide an answer to problems?

PARAMASHIVAN
2nd February 2011, 10:28 PM
Is suicide the answer to problems in life?

ajaybaskar
2nd February 2011, 10:31 PM
Yaen sir, nallathaane irundheenga?

PARAMASHIVAN
2nd February 2011, 10:51 PM
summa general ah keaten pa :oops:

app_engine
2nd February 2011, 10:57 PM
Unless committed by someone who had suffered a mental disorder (deep depression / insanity etc), it's condemnable.

However, one cannot condemn anyone who had successfully completed the crime :-(

Even those who are unsuccessful, should not be treated in a condemnatory manner as they need a lot of compassion and support to come out of the situation.

app_engine
2nd February 2011, 10:58 PM
While it's not an anwer to problems, it's unfortunately true that the person gets himself/herself acquitted of all the problems to a deep slumber , leaving them (perhaps adding some more) to his/her survivors:-(

pavalamani pragasam
2nd February 2011, 11:00 PM
Suicide is taking one's own life. It has been considered honourable, acceptable in certain situations, historical times and creeds. Rajput ladies died rather than fall into the hands of enemy menfolk. There is such a thing called Roman death- Antony chose after Cleopatra also took her own life. euthanasia is something I very much approve of.

PARAMASHIVAN
2nd February 2011, 11:13 PM
Hmm , here in UK Men commiting suicide has been within the age group between 25 -40. Most causes are debts, unemployment and low self confidence :( , and it is an arrestable offence here, if some one tries to commit suicide. But in some countries it is allowed!

SoftSword
2nd February 2011, 11:18 PM
Hmm , here in UK Men commiting suicide has been within the age group between 25 -40. Most causes are debts, unemployment and low self confidence :( , and it is an arrestable offence here, if some one tries to commit suicide. But in some countries it is allowed!

this rule would actually pressurise the person to do it properly without any mistakes...
hail our rules!

pavalamani pragasam
2nd February 2011, 11:35 PM
And is not the cyanide capsule worn around the neck a better choice than the unthinkable horror of capture by a horrid enemy?

pavalamani pragasam
2nd February 2011, 11:39 PM
It is alright to accuse 'escapism' and preach about the preciousness of life. But the persisting doubt is which is more meaningful-death or struggle and suffering(clearly endless/without solution). Generally I want to believe as a good optimist that 'hope springs eternal in human breast'. But somehow I cannot totally condemn suicide!!!

Keith
3rd February 2011, 02:41 AM
வாழ்க்கை பிடிக்கவில்லை என்றால் தற்கொலை செய்து கொள். ஆனால்.......... தற்கொலை செய்து கொள்ளும் அளவுக்கு தைரியம் இருந்தால் வாழ்ந்து பார்!!.....

Badri
3rd February 2011, 04:10 AM
Hmm, interesting!

Does it take more courage to live or more to die?

Afraid of life, if one decides to end it, is that bravery?

Afraid of death, if one decides to endure life, no matter how miserable it is, is that bravery?

Quite a conundrum! :)

PARAMASHIVAN
3rd February 2011, 12:57 PM
And is not the cyanide capsule worn around the neck a better choice than the unthinkable horror of capture by a horrid enemy?

Hmm I agree, appearently cyanide makes a pain less death :| , all those LTTE Cadres :(

Querida
3rd February 2011, 01:13 PM
Hmm I agree, apparently cyanide makes a pain less death :| , all those LTTE Cadres :(

Actually quite the contrary, unless you think that feeling the loss of muscular control and cardiac arrest are pleasant.

I will say only this, suicide blinds us from the people that it really hurts, those who are left behind who have to contend with the pain, guilt and helplessness of not being able to help or understand.

Suicide is often a cry for help that isn't heard in time, so then knowing this make sure that even when it seems impossible, reach out and make yourself heard to a friend, family, neighbour, help line, doctor, even a spiritual higher being, my goodness even a pet, a well loved place, an ardent (maybe forgotten goal), or a visit to pleasant memories will do good to remember in that crucial pit of loneliness.

Ironic that you ask this question when your signature itself provides an answer :)

pavalamani pragasam
3rd February 2011, 01:50 PM
But it must be admitted that many a coward resorts to this easy, escapist solution - even a phase of depression, a peevish disappointment and silly quarrels trigger such an impulsive decision. That should be condemned. A desolate farmer seeing no light at all to survive takes this extreme step making everybody else- even us reading the news- utterly guilty for having been unable to help him out of his wretchedness. People drowned in debts mostly run away, but some take the suicide route. What is more ghastly is disheartened mothers killing their children also when they take the shortcut. family suicides do make the headlines often. The wisdom of this decision is debatable. Failing in exams, love affair, made to face public shame are the common causes.
But as I said earlier an aura of honour surrounds the event in certain situations especially when ennobled in great poetry. sati is by no means a practice known in north India alone. It has been an honourable rite in southern rural areas also!
Our ideas of honour, chastity, safety, self-esteem keep changing with the centuries.
If killing is fair in war so can be suicide attacks also!!! History says so!!! Extremists and terrorists have no qualms about this concept!!!

Sarna
3rd February 2011, 02:01 PM
Suicide is often a cry for help that isn't heard in time

yeah......

printhan
3rd February 2011, 02:59 PM
Naanag eppa pirakka poram ennu theiyatha naanga.. uyira maddum ethukku naangale edukanum... for me.. there cnt be a single problem excite in this world without a solution.. solutiona kandu pidikirathuthan life... so i dnt think suicide oru answer endu.

Thatkolai pannanum ennu ellarukkum lifela oru pointla kaddayam thoni irukkum.. but antha karanathi ippa yosichu paarunga.. sirippa irukkum...

PARAMASHIVAN
4th February 2011, 12:50 AM
Ironic that you ask this question when your signature itself provides an answer :)

Jenee

That is the logic and physics of Life, but unfortunately human emotions contradict with the reality!

app_engine
4th February 2011, 01:26 AM
Very sad suicide news (http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/news/2011/02/03/college-girl-commits-suicide-4-lecturers-arrested-aid0091.html)

What do you folks think?

Badri
4th February 2011, 02:59 AM
.. solutiona kandu pidikirathuthan life...

How beautiful is this!!! Of course!! Life is finding a solution to all our problems!!!

PARAMASHIVAN
4th February 2011, 12:56 PM
Giving Advice is easy but acting upon that advice is hard!

Querida
4th February 2011, 11:42 PM
Very sad suicide news (http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/news/2011/02/03/college-girl-commits-suicide-4-lecturers-arrested-aid0091.html)

What do you folks think?

Sorry app_engine would like to reply but the article is too overwhelming...it'll take me forever to read it :sigh2:

PARAMASHIVAN
6th February 2011, 10:45 PM
your views on those days, when women fell into the fire and kill them selves after the husbands are cremated, I heard this happened when MGR was cremated :banghead:

Stiglitz
7th February 2011, 03:20 AM
How many wives did he have? :confused:

app_engine
14th February 2011, 06:36 AM
Another one :-( (http://www.dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=627204&disdate=2/14/2011&advt=2)

The frequency of students committing suicide is alarmingly on the rise, it appears.

When I was talking to my dad recently, he was quite upset about the same phenomena. He got retired after serving for decades in a village school about 15 years back and feels strongly about anything related to students / education / village etc. (BTW, I grew up in this school campus and studied from 1 to 12) . One thing that really bothered him was what happened in "our" school campus recently. There were two suicides in that school, both students were upset with some remark / discipline / this / that by some teacher. Very silly things which would have been considered nothing in my days.

Sensitivity of people in general has gone up a lot it appears.

Or a strong current of depression is running among the youth.

Either way, not a good development :-(