PDA

View Full Version : Deepauk's articles on Tamil Films in Chennai Times

complicateur
15th April 2011, 01:09 PM
Today's Chennai Times carries a piece I wrote on how the voices SPB, KJY and Malaysia Vasudevan are a part of our lives (http://bit.ly/dLRtDI). Do read.

tvsankar
15th April 2011, 05:14 PM
Today's Chennai Times carries a piece I wrote on how the voices SPB, KJY and Malaysia Vasudevan are a part of our lives (http://bit.ly/dLRtDI). Do read.

காம்ப்லி,
நன்றி. பொறுமையாக, ஆசையாக படிக்க வேண்டிய கட்டுரை இது. பகிர்ந்து கொண்டதற்கு நன்றி.

(நான் தமிழ் முயற்சிக்கவில்லையே. ஆனால் எப்படி............

Nerd
15th April 2011, 06:02 PM
Brilliant sir. Can completely relate to it. And great choice of songs. :clap: :clap: :clap:

raajarasigan
15th April 2011, 06:24 PM
Today's Chennai Times carries a piece I wrote on how the voices SPB, KJY and Malaysia Vasudevan are a part of our lives (http://bit.ly/dLRtDI). Do read.Superb comparison :clap: especially, how people quite casually tries to imitate SPB but always take a step back from KJY...
well done compli :thumbsup:

app_engine
15th April 2011, 08:33 PM
Compli,

Sweet article :-)

Echoing a lot of my thoughts (possibly that of many who were born between 60's & early 80's)!

SoftSword
15th April 2011, 08:48 PM

excellent writeup boss.
for SPB, senorita'va thotrindhingana innum arumayaa irundhirukkum...
i bet u tie any great singer to a chair and make him sing this one, he would lose out. :)

V_S
15th April 2011, 08:49 PM
Excellent article compli! :clap: :clap: the way you write is very communicative :thumbsup:. Trinity is the apt word for them!

Querida
15th April 2011, 10:46 PM

wonderful article Complicateur!! :clap: you have a unique style in which I'm sure you sent lots of readers reeling into nostalgia while also accurately detailing what it is that is special about each singers' voice, what was particularly nice was your select mentions of iconic albums/songs. This is just one of four right? So please do share with us your other three then. :D

complicateur
16th April 2011, 09:42 AM
Nerd, Usha Maam, App, RaajaRasigan, Softsword, Querida, V_S - Many thanks folks glad you enjoyed it.

Softsword - Surprisingly, Senorita was the first song I had chosen to elaborate on! But I discarded it in favor of the lesser known Thamaraikkodi. At least three people asked me for the song on twitter yesterday (which is why now all the songs are linked on the blogpost) and that was the purpose of having a lesser known song.

Querida - The second piece is out today. It is a look at the similarities between Moondru Mugam and Aboorva SagotharargaL. But this isn't the best place to post the link. Will probably post it in theFilms/Documentaries thread.

complicateur
16th April 2011, 09:47 AM
A look at the similarities and differences in two landmark films in the careers of our 2 superstars - Moondru Mugam and Aboorva Sagotharargal (http://bit.ly/h8tjvL). This appears in today's Chennai Times. Do read and provide feedback.

NOV
16th April 2011, 11:29 AM
Dear Deepauk, I took the liberty to move all your posts on the articles in Chennai Times to a dedicated thread, so that it will make easier reading and for records.
Do feel free to change the title to something more appropriate, if necessary.

Also, if possible, reproduce the original articles here so that they don't get lost in future due to missing links. :)

Siv.S
16th April 2011, 12:26 PM
Deepauk :clap: :clap: Porumaiyaa appuram padikkanum...

raajarasigan
16th April 2011, 02:05 PM
A look at the similarities and differences in two landmark films in the careers of our 2 superstars - Moondru Mugam and Aboorva Sagotharargal (http://bit.ly/h8tjvL). This appears in today's Chennai Times. Do read and provide feedback.just read this.. never noticed so many similarities between these two films though I watched both of them... thnx for sharing :D

Plum
16th April 2011, 02:36 PM
Camfli, a middling article but the moondru mugam-asago nexus. Is well caught.
I remember mentioning in the hub before - ASago marked the beginning of my grudging acceptance. Of Kamal as a star.
I remember mentioning this too - my first reaction to ASago was "ha! A moondru mugam copy - what's the fuss about? :huh:"
It was in retrospect that I recognised the greatness of the man behind ASago and by the time MMKR came, the turn around was complete and with my teens withering away, so did the Rajini mania. Duds like manidhan, mappillai, oor kavalan, siva etc helped accelerate the process.

Murali Srinivas
16th April 2011, 02:50 PM
Deepauk,

I read today's article in TOI but I missed out yesterday [which I could read it from here]. As usual nicely written with the choice of words being typical Deepauk's. One thing that you brought out well is the prominence accorded to Alex and the not so prominence for Sethupathi. The next two articles should also evoke keen interest, I hope.

Regards

Plum
16th April 2011, 02:56 PM
Can we use this thread to link your express reviews, too?
(Adhu indhiyO?)

ajaybaskar
16th April 2011, 03:04 PM
Read this article in TOI without even knowing that it was written by our own Compli.. :-)

aanaa
16th April 2011, 07:05 PM
well done :clap:

complicateur
17th April 2011, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the wishes everyone! NOV, Special thanks for moving the articles to a specific place. The links I am posting are to the blog so the links should not expire. Will post the remaining two when the paper publishes them.

groucho070
18th April 2011, 06:49 AM
Almost in tears reading this piece. Life....

*edit: The singers piece, I mean.

Saai
18th April 2011, 10:44 AM
wow!..Its you eh!...I enjoyed it without knowing that kambali - coater has writter it.

Enjoyed the whole article. But the Malasiya vasudevan part stands out.

complicateur
18th April 2011, 11:40 AM
Groucho- One of the reasons the piece ended the way it did is because of how little anguish there seemed to be in public discourse over MV's passing. I was quite sad when I heard and it seemed like, apart from a few other souls on the internet, few people were bothered.

Saai - Thanks. ReNdaavathu avaLO pudikkalayaa? I re-read it last night and it does seem very under-articulated.

Plum
18th April 2011, 02:11 PM
Yes camfli. I mentioned before - the second article is middling but let that not stop you. You are entitled to your odd neengaL kEttavais.

Having taken a rather under-commented peg(asago vs 3 face), I thought enough justice wasn't done to the comparison plus it seemed a piece from your memories of asago and 3 face. Such articles almost demand specific points of comparison from the movies themselves. In that sense, a little underwhelming. But then how much more can you mine from the comparison remains a question.

complicateur
18th April 2011, 02:42 PM
Plum - It needed to be concise and I doubt very many people would have wanted to read specific scene similarities. Thematically they are quite different as I've pointed out. The idea was that it is purely a superficial similarity.

kid-glove
18th April 2011, 02:49 PM
Real nice. Esp. the first one. :clap:

Querida
19th April 2011, 01:38 AM
Complicateur, thank you for providing another one of your article :D
Unfortunately I have not watched Moondru Mugam.
What I do want to comment on is your style of writing, certain parts really stood out for me:
your description of a star in your intro
your description of the scene with Chitti with that detailed look of Rajini's star powered gestures.
:clap:

app_engine
19th April 2011, 03:07 AM
Compli,
Another good one on 3M & AS. I could enjoy the article though not seen 3M (heard about Alex Pandiyan, though).

Most folks commenting here are more of TFM fans than TF fans and hence, IMO, the stronger connection with the first one than the second.

You should hear from some HCKHFs & HCRKFs to judge the impact :-)

venkkiram
19th April 2011, 08:32 AM
Compli, முதல் கட்டுரையை வாசித்தேன். நன்றாக இருந்தது. முடிவுரை நெஞ்சைத் தொட்டது. இவர்கள் மூவரையும் ஒரு சராசரி ரசனைத் தளத்திலிருந்து ரசித்து வந்த ஒரு சராசரி ரசகனான எனக்கு உங்கள் கட்டுரையில் சில எதிர்பார்த்தது கிடைக்கவில்லை. ஏசுதாசைப் பற்றி சொல்லுகையில் அவரது குரல் வெளிப்படுத்திய சோக ரசத்தின் தனித்துவம் முக்கியமான ஒன்று. அது கட்டுரையில் பதிவுச் செய்யப்படவில்லை. இலங்கை, திருச்சி வானொலி ஒலிபரப்பில் என் ஜீவன் பாடுது, ஊரைத் தெரிஞ்சிகிட்டேன், கண்ணே கலைமானே, வாழ்வே மாயம், ஏரிக்கரை பூங்காற்றே, சின்ன சின்ன ரோஜாப் பூவே என நிறைய பாடல்கள் மக்களால் தொடர்ந்து விருப்பப் பாடல்களாக.. "ஏசுதாசின் சோகப் பாடல்கள்" என மலிவுவிலையில் நிறைய நந்தி கேசட்டுக்கள் எண்ணற்ற எண்ணிக்கையில் தமிழகம் முழுவதும் எண்பதுகளில் விற்கப்பட்டிருக்கிறது. அவரது கர்நாடக இசைப்புலமையால் மேன்மையடைந்த பாடல்களின் தாக்கத்தை விட இதில்தான் ஏசுதாஸ் தன்னை அழுத்தமாக அடையாளப்படுத்திக் கொள்கிறார் என்பது என் பார்வை. ம.வாசுதேவனை பற்றி எழுதும் போது, "ஆஹான் வந்துடிச்சி (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoVx8T8au0k)" என்ற கல்யாண ராமன் பாடல் குறிப்பிடப் படவேண்டிய ஒரு பாடல். அந்தப் பாடல், தமிழகம் முழுவதும் அவர் பெயரை போஸ்டர் அடித்து ஒட்டி, பிரபலமாக்கியது. ஒரு வெகுளியின் காதலை ஒரு பாடகர் தனது குரலால் இந்த அளவுக்கு வெள்ளந்தியா பாடியிருக்க முடியாது.

complicateur
19th April 2011, 11:54 AM
K_G, App, Querida- Thanks.

Venkkiram - I'm not really of the opinion the KJY's sad singing was particularly more evocative than other two - Possibly why I didn't make the point. I had to try and differentiate the two through my filters and my experience with KJY, also due to my Malayalam influences, is that he was the first voice that introduced me to Carnatic music (even TMS etc... came later). Regarding Malaysia Vasudevan, I agree his voice mutability should have been captured. An earlier version mentioned the C.S.Subburamanesque Suga RaagamE and Kaathal Vanthuduchu as well but I wanted to make a personal note on his passing so I discarded those portions in favor of the current last paragraph.

app_engine
19th April 2011, 04:45 PM
A couple of nit-picks :-)

Venkkiram,
ஏரிக்கரை பூங்காற்றே is not a pathos song :-)
One of the relatively fewer "playful" KJY numbers.

Compli,
It is C S Jayaraman and not Subburaman :-)

Bala (Karthik)
19th April 2011, 05:14 PM
Compli,
Wonderful post on the "trinity". Particularly liked the last paragraph.

Current MV favorite is "Alli thandha boomi", a very personal song. <expletive> Mottai songs should come with a stern warning and deterrent. Total emotional blackmail

app_engine
19th April 2011, 05:38 PM
Compli,

Your article says "The more seasoned filmgoers in the audience had witnessed something similar nearly seventeen years earlier in single screen theaters."

:confused:

Between 3M (1982) and Robo (2010) there are 28 years, isn't it?

complicateur
19th April 2011, 07:23 PM
app, Yes! 2 errata there. One actually made it to the papers!

Bala - Thanks. Yes, I recently found the video for Alli Thantha Bhoomi on youtube. Enna solrathunnE therla.

Bala (Karthik)
20th April 2011, 02:08 AM
Ippo dhaan video paathen... Ahaa!

complicateur
23rd April 2011, 12:04 PM
The third in the series is out today in the papers. It is on marital conflict as handled by marquee directors in Thamizh Cinema. Read at the blog (http://complicateur.blogspot.com/2011/04/trois.html). Would appreciate it if someone pointed out if there are any gross errors.

Plum
23rd April 2011, 12:31 PM
Just a couple of grammatical nitpicks othwerwise a fine piece.

complicateur
23rd April 2011, 12:56 PM
Plum,
Avasara editing-in abaayangal. Let me know where and I'll correct them.

Plum
23rd April 2011, 01:41 PM
It's really a nitpick - a missing comma after tragically and simplistically

Plum
23rd April 2011, 01:54 PM
And the second one is not what I thought it was. Avasara proof reading-in abAyangaL actually.
BTW, the choice of films you discussed was predictable, if only because of my knowledge of your background and confessed tastes

complicateur
23rd April 2011, 02:04 PM
Plum- Yes. This piece was more run of the mill. The only somewhat salient thing I enjoyed was the comment on the progression of Women characters - from Sridhar's Seetha to Mani's Divya. Of course Kuyilu and the two wives in IVK are outliers.

complicateur
30th April 2011, 10:52 AM
And the final piece on Iyal, Isai, Nadagam and Thamizh Cinema appears in today's Chennai Times. (http://complicateur.blogspot.com/2011/04/give-me-three.html)