PDA

View Full Version : Boxing

kid-glove
3rd July 2011, 12:43 AM
David Haye vs Wladimir Klitschko

Doesn't get bigger than this.

Plum
3rd July 2011, 12:49 AM
Thambi, innum slow cycling, sync swimming, lemon spoon race dhaan baakki. Oru sport vuttu vekkaRadhillayA? :)

kid-glove
3rd July 2011, 12:52 AM
:lol:

Admittedly Footie dominates, but it's summer time.

I love boxing.

I have Sky Box Office. Going to watch it.

kid-glove
3rd July 2011, 01:01 AM
Klitschko is modern day Joe Louis.

Haye's disrespectful & is arrogant. And he's british.

I think I have the man to back here.

kid-glove
3rd July 2011, 02:06 AM
Only British media would sound arrogant backing a man who's facing a man with 49 KO's in 58

kid-glove
3rd July 2011, 02:12 AM
Got to grudgingly admit that the Krauts got one thing over Oranjes: World Class Stadia. Volksparkstadion :notworthy:

kid-glove
3rd July 2011, 02:18 AM
LOL at Mike Tyson intro for Lennox Lewis

kid-glove
3rd July 2011, 02:36 AM
Ah, lovely Becker is there too. Hope he's on a return flight to London. Cant stand Dim henman on BBC one..

kid-glove
3rd July 2011, 02:41 AM
Is that England's away shirt for Euros. Haye risks losing even before he enters the ring. #cursed

kid-glove
3rd July 2011, 02:48 AM
IMTECH ARENA rocks

kid-glove
3rd July 2011, 02:53 AM
Interesting tactic to wrap himself with Aluminium foil, Faye :lol2:

kid-glove
3rd July 2011, 03:11 AM
Wlad could deal with the dodging all day long. A nice left jab. But a nice punch back by Haye.

kid-glove
3rd July 2011, 03:53 AM
Dr.Steelhammer :notworthy: Better percentage of landing successful punches. And looked solid through out. Haye was a disgrace. Ducking, diving & pretending. that's what he is. Pretender.

kid-glove
3rd July 2011, 03:55 AM
Overall insipid fight. The onus was on Haye to make his move, but he did it fleetingly & didn't look threatening. Let the intensity wane.

kid-glove
3rd July 2011, 04:14 AM
Haye making excuses. Broke his toenail. :lol2:

His coach says he hates Wlad's style of fighting & was disgusted by the ref (What about Haye's ducking & play-acting?). Also it was Dr. who made all the approaches, no way it was cautious. Esp. when the onus was on Haye to go for it.

kid-glove
5th July 2011, 11:12 PM
"When I beat fighters they say they are too small, or too slow, or over the hill - but when he fights the guys he gets praise for it. I fight them first and then he fights my leftovers. If you guys want to write, just tell the truth. That's all I ask. I have one question for you. Name me one athlete and not just boxing. Tell me one athlete right now who's done it for fifteen years and is still undefeated."

"I've been talking about the Pacquiao thing for a while now. Like I've said before, I don't know if he has two or three losses, but there is a remedy on how to beat Pacquiao. We know Pacquiao has been knocked out twice. He has three losses. He has two draws. There is no remedy on how to beat Floyd Mayweather yet"

http://www.boxingscene.com/mayweather-rips-pacquiao-praised-my-leftovers--41150

I want to see this fight happen. Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao. Money vs PacMan... Whoa!

kid-glove
5th July 2011, 11:15 PM
http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/insideSports.htm?f=2011/july/5/sports2.isx&d=2011/july/5

kid-glove
11th July 2011, 04:34 PM
‘With boxing you can’t mess around. You can’t be a bit of a fighter. You can be a bit of a football player or a bit of a cricketer. You can play a game of tennis for a lark. But you can’t have a bloody lark at boxing.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing/article-2013200/Terry-Downes-Britains-world-boxing-champion.html

Never seen him box obviously, but Koukol is one for the ages :lol:

kid-glove
8th November 2011, 10:12 AM
RIP Joe Frazier

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2011/11/08/sports/08frazier2_span/08frazier2_span-articleLarge.jpg

kid-glove
8th November 2011, 10:18 AM
Ali vs. Frazier was a study in contrasts. Ali: tall and handsome, a wit given to spouting poetry, a magnetic figure who drew adulation and approbation alike, the one for his prowess and outsize personality, the other for his anti-war views and Black Power embrace of Islam. Frazier: a bull-like man of few words with a blue-collar image and a glowering visage who in so many ways could be on an equal footing with his rival only in the ring.
The Ali-Frazier battles played out at a time when the heavyweight boxing champion was far more celebrated than he is today, a figure who could stand alone in the spotlight a decade before an alphabet soup of boxing sanctioning bodies arose, making it difficult for the average fan to figure out just who held what title.

The rivalry was also given a political and social cast. Many viewed the Ali-Frazier matches as a snapshot of the struggles of the 1960s. Ali, an adherent of the Nation of Islam, came to represent rising black anger in America and opposition to the Vietnam War. Frazier voiced no political views, but he was nonetheless depicted, to his consternation, as the favorite of the establishment. Ali called him “ignorant,” likened him to a gorilla and said his black supporters were Uncle Toms.

“Frazier had become the white man’s fighter, Mr. Charley was rooting for Frazier, and that meant blacks were boycotting him in their heart,” Norman Mailer wrote in Life magazine following the first Ali-Frazier bout.

Frazier, wrote Mailer, was “twice as black as Clay and half as handsome,” with “the rugged decent life-worked face of a man who had labored in the pits all his life.”

Frazier could never match Ali’s charisma or his gift for the provocative quote. He was essentially a man devoted to a brutal craft, willing to give countless hours to his spartan training-camp routine and unsparing of his body inside the ring.

Long after his fighting days were over, Frazier retained his enmity for Ali. But in March 2001, the 30th anniversary of the first Ali-Frazier bout, Ali told The New York Times: “I said a lot of things in the heat of the moment that I shouldn’t have said. Called him names I shouldn’t have called him. I apologize for that. I’m sorry. It was all meant to promote the fight.”

Asked for a response, Frazier said: “We have to embrace each other. It’s time to talk and get together. Life’s too short.”

In March 2011, on the eve of the 40th anniversary of the first Ali-Frazier fight, Frazier attended a Knicks game at Madison Square Garden and told reporters that he had not seen Ali in person for more than 10 years.

“I forgave him for all the accusations he made over the years,“ The Daily News quoted Frazier as saying. “I hope he’s doing fine. I’d love to see him.”

But as Frazier once told The Times: “Ali always said I would be nothing without him. But who would he have been without me?”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/08/sports/joe-frazier-ex-heavyweight-champ-dies-at-67.html?pagewanted=3&_r=2&hpw

ajithfederer
8th November 2011, 10:29 AM
Enaku therinja orae boxer jake la motta-nga (Read like Naan kadasiya paatha english padam sholay-nga)

kid-glove
12th November 2011, 03:36 PM
Ha ha. Actually, De Niro's Jake La Motta is the kind of slugger (maybe that's how real La Motta was like) that Smoking Joe would destroy with one left hook. Scorsese stylized the boxing scenes to his own interpretation, 'dancing'. Very impressionistic. But it also works as Scorsese codes the character's mindset. His suicidal, self-destructive tendencies. Someone mentioned NT being inspired by Cagney's grapefruit scene, the husband-wife physicality of De niro is absolutely informed & inspired! More than a boxer, we identify with the actor and the character, the one wrestling with his life in emotional terms affecting us more than the self-inflicted catharsis in the ring.

OTOH, when I saw 'The Boxer', one could only be immersed by DDL's thoroughness. From skipping to his style of boxing, he registers as a pro-. Here the boxing isn't used allegorically but rendered 'realistic'.

MDB/Fighter were quasi-realistic too.

kid-glove
26th November 2011, 01:21 PM
Hardy as a freestyle martial arts fighter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRt9qjLu4_Y

P_R
28th November 2011, 05:42 PM
Thambi, innum slow cycling, sync swimming, lemon spoon race dhaan baakki. Oru sport vuttu vekkaRadhillayA? :) :rotfl2:

kid-glove
28th November 2011, 05:50 PM
There's a thread for WWE, but not boxing. idhulla enna kalaikureenga :twisted:

P_R
28th November 2011, 05:58 PM
Onsapanatayathula WWF paarthavan dhaan, trump cards ellAm trade paNNavan dhaan :ashamed:
Britis Bulldog, Tatanga, Yokozuna, Kamala(!) and all.

Boxing pAkka vENdiyadhu dhaan.

kid-glove
28th November 2011, 06:24 PM
Naanum thaan. Yeung age'la sila moves cousins oda practice'lam senju irukkOm'la :oops:

In time, upgraded from playacting (WWF) to Boxing.

Death Note
30th November 2011, 09:30 PM
WBO welterweight king Manny Pacquiao claims there are only a few "little things" to sort out before he signs to fight Floyd Mayweather Jnr in Las Vegas on May 5 next year.

This week WBC champion Mayweather suggested everything was done on his side, and that he was just waiting for Pacquiao to agree to drug-testing demands.

The last round of negotiations broke down over this issue, with Mayweather wanting sampling to go on for longer than Pacquiao was willing to permit. The Filipino said that losing blood too close to fight night would affect his performance in the ring.

However, the Pacquiao camp have stressed in recent months that their man is ready to go along with the American's requirements - and now it seems the bout is very close to confirmation.

"We are ready," Pacquiao told abs-cbnnews.com. "If it pushes through, once he signs the contract then I'll sign the contract. Only the little things are being worked out and negotiations are almost done."

Following Pacquiao's controversial points win against Juan Manuel Marquez earlier this month, there was clamour for a rematch. Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum, who has made no secret of his disdain for Mayweather, seemed keen on the idea.

However, trainer Freddie Roach and conditioning supremo Alex Ariza reportedly wanted Pacquiao to face Mayweather instead - and they appear to have got their wish.

http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/story/124063.html

:redjump: :redjump: :redjump: :redjump: :redjump: