PDA

View Full Version : Overused, overrated words in The Hub or elsewhere

groucho070
23rd November 2011, 08:38 AM
...that you wish could be banned.

Or when the user finished typing it, he gets a jolt of electricity so bad that he will call his colleague "daddy".

Give you some examples and explanation

Word: Rocks/Rocking

Example: Superstar rocks.
(the unmentionable) gives a rocking performance playing the same shit everytime.

Why I don’t like it?
Overused, yes. Overrated, definitely. But most importantly, missed the context. When you say “superstar rocks” I imagine him in tight leotard, overlong blond hair, and breaking his guitars or setting it on fire. Superstar is awesome. He does not rock. See Freddie Mercury for the meaning of “rocks” or “rocking”.

Word: hats-off
Example: Hats-off to Murugadoss and team for lecturing us for three goddam hours.
Great job imitating Rahman, Harris. Hats off.

Why I don’t like it:
Overused even outside of forum. I hear even Rajini using it. Poor man, he doesn’t have much of a social life, so he must have picked it up from the daughters and son-in-laws.

My question is, who wears hat’s this days? Do you know how the term originated? If so, who gives a flying f_. Just say, “good job” and get on with it. Hats off, craps off….

Word : mindblowing
Example: P. Vasu’s attempt to desecrate the original Malayalam movie was mindblowingly successful.
Saw Manirathnam shoot Aish’s cleavage whole day long. Mindblowing.

Why I don’t like it:
It used to be something really awesome and takes you to places. Like the climax of Kubrick's 2001, or the climax of Guna. Nowadays, mundane stuff gets labled as "mindblowing". Things that get done with clicks of mouse in few seconds gets "mindblowing" tag these days. Having said that, the Kolaveri song is mindblowing :razz:

Plum
27th November 2011, 04:14 PM
You rock, Grouch! Btw, (Unmentionable) - that is a mindbowling moniker, goruch. Awesome!

Plum
27th November 2011, 04:15 PM
Btw, I forgot to mention this: :hats-off:

19thmay
28th November 2011, 09:35 AM
We were using EKSI much when it was famous.

Agree to disagree..

IMO, IMHO, IIRC...

sathya_1979
28th November 2011, 10:39 AM
I hate the word "awesome" :banghead:

Dinesh84
28th November 2011, 11:47 AM
Uber cool.. what is this? :confused2:

ajaybaskar
28th November 2011, 03:19 PM
Only u fossible.. :notworthy:

SoftSword
28th November 2011, 03:33 PM
the annoying usage of f for p, b, k, l , m ,n , o.... sabbaa...

Plum
28th November 2011, 05:20 PM
affadi fodunga soptsvard :)

Bala (Karthik)
28th November 2011, 05:26 PM
the annoying usage of f for p, b, k, l , m ,n , o.... sabbaa...
Correct! 'F' should be used to replace only 'P'. And vice versa.

KV
28th November 2011, 05:26 PM
now that plum is here, I must say this, :sake gands: is one of the most repulsive wordtwisting I've seen in the hub. The pictures that it brings to the mind :uvEkk:. PlummarE, shift+delete this phrase from your dictionary please!

Bala (Karthik)
28th November 2011, 05:29 PM
Not necessarily in the hub. Podhuva pesappadradhu:
"Legend"
"Jaambavaan" ennada jaambavaan gulab jamun-nu :banghead:
"Mellifluous"
"Relate to"

Bala (Karthik)
28th November 2011, 05:38 PM
Grouch
@ mindblowing: Indhi kaara idha avaa accent la solli ketrukkela? "mimdblowing yaar"? :lol2:

Plum
28th November 2011, 05:47 PM
KV, ungaLai yAru appadi imagine paNNa sonnA? :). Nilaa aaksathulayaa irukku? Unga manasula irukku...(One of the worst misappropriations ever, I know)

KV
28th November 2011, 06:28 PM
of course, blame my perversion for that. Irundhaalum, padikkumbOdhu konjam kandraaviya irukkunga, adhdhaan. hmm, konjam paathu seyyunga.

kid-glove
28th November 2011, 06:29 PM
now that plum is here, I must say this, :sake gands: is one of the most repulsive wordtwisting I've seen in the hub. The pictures that it brings to the mind :uvEkk:. PlummarE, shift+delete this phrase from your dictionary please!

Thought Flu had that in mind. Disappointing to know that he didn't.

Plum
28th November 2011, 07:03 PM
Actually, this was first used by someone else. To my eternal discredit, I failed to see the "other" meaning until Maddy pointed out and LOL-ed. So, yes, I am not entirely innocent this time...

groucho070
30th November 2011, 11:37 AM
Grouch
@ mindblowing: Indhi kaara idha avaa accent la solli ketrukkela? "mimdblowing yaar"? :lol2:Illa. vOnAm :shaking:

groucho070
30th November 2011, 11:40 AM
I hate the word "awesome" :banghead::oops: adikkadi use pannurathu nyanthEn. In order for you to have good sleep tonight, I have compiled various versions that I have used and might use in the future: Awesomefy. Awesomification. Awesomatic. Awesotistic. Awesomestest. Awesome Returns. Awesome Forever. Awesome and Robin

KV
30th November 2011, 12:14 PM
'Awesome and Robin' - :lol: The poor feller's seeking shelter in Malaysia after being ooraVittuOdhukkivechchufied from Gotham city, eh?

Fridge
9th December 2011, 05:44 AM
Uber is a german word and means over...could be overcool

rsubras
13th December 2011, 04:07 PM
:oops: adikkadi use pannurathu nyanthEn. In order for you to have good sleep tonight, I have compiled various versions that I have used and might use in the future: Awesomefy. Awesomification. Awesomatic. Awesotistic. Awesomestest. Awesome Returns. Awesome Forever. Awesome and Robin

have to blame the RJs and TJs (T.V Jockeys aka comperers) for this overuse of such superlative adjectives thereby diminishing its importance...... more such words

cho chweet, so cute, super, grand, super hit, block buster, marvellous, great, chanceh illa, wow and so on and so forth..

Bala (Karthik)
1st March 2012, 11:14 AM
"Suganubavam", "ulamaarndha" - Absolutely allergic. I shiver when i read/hear these words

Querida
1st March 2012, 11:32 AM
sounds like the verbal diarrhea from many a singing/dancing competition judge...cringeworthy indeed.

:shock: lull-a-bee...something just broke inside me when I heard the word butchered....

"cho chweet" makes me choke...

the overuse of "like" has been parodied to death and yet it still prevails...

SoftSword
1st March 2012, 04:27 PM
miss u :evil: :apdiye_patthikkidhu:

directhit
1st March 2012, 06:43 PM
overused illa, wrongly used ... i hate btw being referred to as between :twisted:

Bala (Karthik)
1st March 2012, 06:49 PM
overused illa, wrongly used ... i hate btw being referred to as between :twisted:
:lol: Ingayum neraya nadakkum. One can understand if someone mistakenly/intentionally uses the short form "btw" to mean between. As in, "It's btw the two big buildings" - idhu OK.

What i don't get is the other way round - why/how does one actually expand "btw" to "between", as you have pointed out.

Indha thread (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?9442-I-talk-I-walk-I-puke-English-%28Common-Errors-in-English-Usage%29/page26) la manu kudunga

ajithfederer
1st March 2012, 07:28 PM
:rotfl: :thumbsup:

lydayaxobia493
1st March 2012, 08:12 PM

Ean ga unagalai yaarum miss pannala nu poramai ya???:mrgreen: