PDA

View Full Version : IlayaRaja's New Albums 2013-15 - Mahendran film/Thaarai thappattai/Mythri

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

KV
1st February 2012, 10:50 AM
thaavi thaavi - when maestro sings "karagosham" - there is a bittersweet feeling that is evoked - that is raaja signature that is unmistakable and underscoring a moment or emotion in the story beautifully (padam paarthaal thaan theriyum).. This is his trademark minimalism. Love this guy and his music...
+1, pullarippulu! This song is peacefully and happily maddening!

KV
1st February 2012, 10:53 AM
maRukkA kEttu pAththEn. ...thannOda vazhiyellAm thannathaviRa thuNaiyuNdo and the next line and all.. konjam doubt-AvE irukku.

appiddeendringa? hmmm, I thought it was due to poor recording/mixing. Let's wait for the original CD.

krish244
1st February 2012, 02:53 PM
"Gundelo Godaro" progress news:

http://www.supergoodmovies.com/38455/tollywood/gundello-godari-completes-2nd-schedule-news-details

"...Second round of the movie songs recording will starts today in Chennai under the supervision of Ilayaraja..."

thanks,

Krishnan

ravinat
1st February 2012, 07:43 PM
Suresh
All my reactions were initial ones, as I heard the song only thrice. I need to hear it at least another 10 times to figure out what is being experimented.

Here is the impression that I got hearing this track in Dhoni - SPB has been challenged to stay at one level when the ground under him is shifting like a system of gears. The challenge we have is to figure out if he is dancing on top of one gear box or several at varying speeds.

I need to spend some time on this track and figure out what is exactly going on. Though I could be wrong, this is beyond simple polyrhythms.

Who said Feb is exam time only for students? :-)

Sureshs65
1st February 2012, 07:52 PM
ravi,

I don't think this is polyrhythm in the sense you had used it. Seems to be like changes in rhythm than polyrhythm per se. Anyway, as you said we need to do more preparation.

Coming to SPB's singing, it would have been a great challenge in an earlier time when he would have recorded with the instruments. I think even now though live instruments were used, I personally think SPB would have sung track. That is just my guess. Singing track wouldn't have been as difficult as singing this live.

krish244
1st February 2012, 10:44 PM
Came across this video o youtube. IR playing piano in Prasad Studio:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDaZqz7lB0o

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
1st February 2012, 10:47 PM
Looks like forum automatically converts youtube link to an embedded one !!

thanks,

Krishnan

Bala (Karthik)
1st February 2012, 11:24 PM
Listening to Dhoni album. Is it just me (or the quality of the d/l), there is something wrong with the audio quality. Very hazy.....

Bala (Karthik)
1st February 2012, 11:27 PM
First impression, Mayilu > Dhoni. Innum sila pala round varanum....

San_K
1st February 2012, 11:37 PM
Listening to Dhoni album. Is it just me (or the quality of the d/l), there is something wrong with the audio quality. Very hazy.....

I am with you. I don't know what to complain, recording with noise or orchestration with noise or the pirated download especially in Chinna kannile song. After looooooon time, IR goes to live recording, I expected something in orchestration but I found only in Vaangum Panathuthukkum (sureshji nicely written about this). But yes, I need to listen more to conclude anything

Nerd
1st February 2012, 11:40 PM
Yes. Plis to listen from raaga. AravindMano ShreyaG auto-tuned nu solraapla. I d/lded a copy from internet and it sounded that way. Raaga has very good quality. iTunes-la poda maattrane..

venkkiram
1st February 2012, 11:58 PM
விளையாட்டா படகோட்டி - ஹரிஹரன் மற்றும் ஷ்ரேயா இரு பாடல்களுக்கும் ஒரே கோரஸை ஆரம்பத்தில் வைத்திருக்க வேண்டாமே! ஹரிஹரன் பாடல் ஏற்படுத்தும் உணர்வுகளுக்கும் கோரஸிற்கும் சரியா ஒத்துப்போகல என்பது எனது அபிப்ராயம்.

மேலும் கோரஸ் உருவாக்கத்தில் - நிலைப்பாட்டை ராஜா கொஞ்சம் மாத்திக்கணும். டிஜிட்டலுக்கு ஏற்றவாறு ராஜா நிறைய விஷயங்களில் தன்னை வகைப் படுத்திக் கொண்டாலும் கோரஸ்-கான ஒலிப்பதிவு மட்டும் மாறவேயில்லை.

Bala (Karthik)
2nd February 2012, 12:01 AM
Yes. Plis to listen from raaga. AravindMano ShreyaG auto-tuned nu solraapla. I d/lded a copy from internet and it sounded that way. Raaga has very good quality. iTunes-la poda maattrane..
Oh ok, nandri

I've gone back to Mayilu songs for the night (Rita :shock: :thumbsup: ). Dhoni paattukkala naalai iravu kettukkaren

Bala (Karthik)
2nd February 2012, 12:06 AM
Sorry to interrupt the flow but in "Enna Kutham", Swamigal, is fantastic when he sings "paadhiyile vittuvittu ponavale.....". Arumayaana aazhamaana paadal

venkkiram
2nd February 2012, 12:29 AM
Sorry to interrupt the flow but in "Enna Kutham", Swamigal, is fantastic when he sings "paadhiyile vittuvittu ponavale.....". Arumayaana aazhamaana paadalஅது என்னமோ தெரியல. பாடலின் ஆதாரமான சோகரசத்தை பின்னணி இசைமழை பெய்யேன பெய்து கரைத்து விட்டதாக உணர்கிறேன். மினிமலாக இருந்திருந்தால் இப்போ தொட்டதைவிட இன்னும் ஆழத் தொட்டிருக்கும் எனக் கருதுகிறேன். Any other sad songs of Raja voice have this kind of heavy back ground music?

dochu
2nd February 2012, 05:02 AM
Unless CD is in hand, right now the audio quality from downloadable links and sites are not so good. It is bit of injustice to the great man's music. :-(

Many sites simply flick from the 'first' uploaded website and create their own '320' kbps version and provide. if the first source is bad, then everything else repeats and sometimes gets worse too.

Hope amazon or some other valid good sites offers a better download for purchase.

V_S
2nd February 2012, 06:22 AM
I too agree with Bala and dochu. Will have to wait till I get the CD. :sad: Nerd, yes, the raaga quality is much better. What songs, oniyum solrathukilE :notworthy: In raaga's site Shreya's voice sounds normal and I too reiterate 'never' from Maestro.

Sunil_M88
2nd February 2012, 06:00 PM
IMHO

Vangum Panathukkum > The rest of the songs from Dhoni. (I like all the songs but the former is simply the icing on the cake.)

2ND half of Mayilu Soundtrack i.e. Aadhisokka, Thukkamenna Thuyaramenna and Enna Kutham > 1st half of Mayilu. (I tried hard to grasp the rest of the songs but I still haven’t clicked with them.)

Overall Mayilu (2nd half) > Dhoni (Whole album) > Mayilu (1st half) but Vangum Panathukkum > Mayilu (Whole album)

^^ Looks confusing hehe well, let it be.

Now let me pour out the nitty-gritty on why I’m absolutely stunned by Vangum Panathukkum.

Firstly, on initial hearing it was Thaavi Thavi Pogum that blew me away, just when I thought the song finished the first interlude stared to blossom away with WCM. It’s been a while since Raaja Saab has incorporated this kind of orchestral arrangements. This song has to be my second pick from the album. Unlike other songs by the maestro, the first interlude is stronger than the second one.

The tapping we hear at the beginning of Vangum Panathukkum, to me sounds like the wood framework of an acoustic guitar. SPB Ji swims right in with fine ease displaying a pleasant nostalgia with the support of a bluesy guitar. The rest of the song follows standards unique to IR. It is the second interlude i.e. the flute/WCM by the maestro and the gobbledygook by SPB that’s not allowing me to give more hearings to the rest of the album, furthermore this is the reason behind this song overtaking the number of hearings I’ve given to Aadhisokka, Thukkamenna Thuyaramenna and Enna Kutham. I cannot explain how I feel but I’ll share an example, just like Mere Paa where Amitabh Ji’s croons a funny-like child sounds over the main them in the second interlude, here SPB Ji delivers his own take. If this interlude wasn’t in the track then maybe Thaavi Thavi Pogum would have the stolen the show but not only is this interlude the saviour of the song but it’s also the saviour of the album. It’s why I’m spending more time with the album currently compared to any other.

2012 is here and so is Raaja Saab! Best interlude of the year and certainly the best since Mere Paa and the ending instrumental portion of Achadicha Kaasa from Vaalmiki. Emotionally enthralling would truly be an understatement.

KV
2nd February 2012, 06:17 PM
Sunil :thumbsup:
If you haven't checked out 'yaathE yaathE' yet, you're in for surprise! Helluva deadly number, this one, highly additive!

SoftSword
2nd February 2012, 06:31 PM
sunil, nice to see you in IR thread as well...
hear and make them heard.

Sureshs65
2nd February 2012, 07:08 PM
SS,

Sunil has been here for a long time now. It shows you haven't been visiting these threads regularly :lol:

Anyway, nice analysis Sunil. It has been tough getting to hear both Mayilu and Dhoni at the same time. Each one is different. Will write my detailed analysis of both these albums soon.

SoftSword
2nd February 2012, 07:15 PM
SS,

Sunil has been here for a long time now. It shows you haven't been visiting these threads regularly :lol:

Anyway, nice analysis Sunil. It has been tough getting to hear both Mayilu and Dhoni at the same time. Each one is different. Will write my detailed analysis of both these albums soon.

yes suresh,
i got that hes been here for a longtime now...
now i vaguely remember already seeing him here once... bad memory.
i hav always seen him post a lot in ARR section, so ingayum irukkaarnu pakkarudhukku magizhchinu sonen.

naanum naduvula indha pakkam varala dhaan... innum paattu kekkala...
arr/ir pudhu paatta first time kekradhukkunu oru amaidhiyana mind set irukkanum enakku...
illaina andha freshness feel panna mudiyadhunu en ennam...

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
2nd February 2012, 08:06 PM
IMHO Though it is understood that all posts in hub are IMHO, athai first linelaye pottu, unga adakkathai meendum prove panniteenga! Rahman oda early days pic vera pottutteenga, suits to your soft character!! Aaga motham both ARR and IRR thread oda chella pillai aagitteenga!

All the best for your compositions :thumbsup:

SoftSword
2nd February 2012, 08:12 PM
sakala, sunil doesn understand tamil much.

Sureshs65
2nd February 2012, 08:28 PM
SS,

I was about to say that to Sakala that Sunil doesn't understand Tamil much. Anyway, please do give Dhoni a listen. Has come out very well according to me.

Anyway Sunil here is the translation: SKV is appreciating your soft nature and also the DP of Rahman that you put suits your character. Actually I was about to call you out for Dhoni, since you always review the new albums when I came in and saw your post.

Shankar.P
2nd February 2012, 08:57 PM
hi friends, Sengaththu boomiyilae releases today.

Shankar.P
2nd February 2012, 09:13 PM
and Dhoni on 10th Feb...
this is fabulous feb for all IR fans
let's enjoy

Sunil_M88
2nd February 2012, 10:09 PM
Thanks Suresh Ji, I just read your post on vangum panathukkum :thumbsup:

I just stay quiet if someone writes to me in Tamil because time ago I asked someone for a translation and I received hostility lol *sigh" To those who don't prefer English, don't worry you can communicate with me through the universal language called MUSIC ;)

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
2nd February 2012, 10:19 PM
Sunil, you impress me much, man! And fyi, i am one who never lol at anyone who genuinely asks for a translation. And thanks suresh for your translation :) though one important point was left.

That is - Sunil has become a favourite pet for both IR and ARR fans :D

Sunil_M88
2nd February 2012, 10:36 PM
That is - Sunil has become a favourite pet for both IR and ARR fans :D

SKV :)

I consider myself a dog because I'm equally loyal to both parties and I can be protective if one of my owner is prone to mocking.

SoftSword
2nd February 2012, 11:00 PM
:tchu-tchu-tchu-tchu:

sunil.. mudiyala...

ata

sunil.. toomuch...

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
2nd February 2012, 11:44 PM
sunil, my bad english. very bad, actually. i didn't knew how to translate the tamil word "chellam" sorry if my post was mis-leading. i shud have stopped with the word 'favourite'.

lets talk only about music :)

kiru
3rd February 2012, 12:13 AM
Sunil :thumbsup:
If you haven't checked out 'yaathE yaathE' yet, you're in for surprise! Helluva deadly number, this one, highly additive!
Absolutetly...especially after watching IR on youtube teach Bhava .. the man acts it out..not just sings..
Dhoni is an acoustic delight .. Shreya can be conferred honorary citizenship of TN :-) (and some kids of rich politicians/stars kicked out :-) ).. na. muthukumar shows maturity in lyrics.. ofcourse, TN is the land of the poets and musicians

Gregorysab
3rd February 2012, 11:06 AM
Caught up with Dhoni and Mayilu. My thoughts on them...

dhoni: A very simple and sincere album with pleasant melodies. I was expecting some poignant stuff (i'm sure the film will have some poignancy or melodrama, depending upon the capabil;ity of the director) but was surprised to see very easy-mood melodies. My preferences ranked here:

1. Vaangum - The most brilliant composition in the album. Suresh has already posted all my thoughts, about the jazz element and the tala pattern. I can only add that a 68 year old composer, teams up with a 64 year old singer and few instrumentalists whose age could be between 40-65, to dish out one of the most youthful and peppy numbers ever. It is the surprise song for me, because I never expect that kind of guitar usage from Raaja (since it is not pure classical style, which Raaja does usually). Raaja, in my opinion, has pushed his limit and experimented well in this song.

2. Vilayaattu: Many of us here have our own likes/dislikes or reservations about Hariharan. Heck, even raaja himself might have some reservations. But we must admit that Raaja is totally besotted with Hariharan. For in every other film, he gives hariharan atleast one song that is totally befitting his voice. And its been this way since about 12 years may be. Lot of people associate Hariharan's songs (hits) more with ARR but empirically, I suspect Raaja must have given more songs to Hariharan than ARR. Clearly Raaja loves this guy, for consistently giving him some wonderful songs. coming to this song, it is a very mature melody. Hariharan sang it with great poise and sincerity. On a parallel plane, i almost imagined this as a S.D.Burman composition (sung by SDB himself). I dont mean, IR used some SDB song... but the song has the quality/mood of the songs that SDB did in some of his bengali private albums. Shreya's rendition is also quite good. in my opinion, we cannot compare both renditions because shreya's pronunciation is slightly folksy(intentionally nasal at places) while hariharan goes more on a very lazy style of pronunciation. Equally listenable!

3. Chinna Kannile: Sweet, enjoyable no doubt. Nice rendition. Beautiful interludes. But I have some reservations about the composition (particularly the pallavi). I felt it is a bit too simple and less heart-tugging, from the standards of Ilaiyaraaja. It is not bad. But it is like any other 'good' composition by any other music director (not totally newbies). I mean, if a Vidyasagar comes up with this song I would have definitely said "fantastic" but I put Raaja on a higher pedestal and hence, I am unable to eulogize this song beyond calling it a good song.

4. Thaavi Thaavi: Again a nice, listenable composition with wonderful interludes! The charanams flow flawlessly back to Pallavi. But then, I am not sure if it will continue to enthuse me 2 years from now. I felt the pallavi very nursery-rhymish though good to hum. But i must say that Raaja's rendition is very good. Very warm and sweet (i dont know why i did not feel so at some points in Kalagane kanulatho in Gaayam-2). But in this song, he gets it very right!

In all, a very good album after Sneha Veedu. Certainly promising!

Moving over to Mayilu:

1. Yathae - easily the pick of the album. Raaja goes full-throttle right from word go (with that bass line bounce). It is amazing that he still pursues various colours in Keeravani raagam. The guitar strumming + table in charanams is a brilliant one by raaja - something that again proves that he is not stuck in past but is constantly trying new things. A brilliant composition overall.

2. AadhiSokka - This is a typical Raaja song of 80s, updated to 2012. The quality of melody is so 80s (which means Raaja is the same). One can feel it all the more in charanams, the melody is very Bharathiraja+Raaja kind. The way he has painted that old raajaism on new canvas. amazing. What brilliant interludes. Loved this.

3. Entha kutham - a poignant composition. The mood of this song immediately takes us to the sombre feel that probably would find its rightful place in a Naan Kadavul perhaps. The female humming (aaraaro) is like a small glow in that song, keeping the proceedings warm. Charanams have the right flow. Raaja's rendition is good! Infact, i think i would rank this song as top, if we have to ignore the standard melody as barometer.

4. Thukkamenna - a standard 80s raaja melancholic (suitable for rustic films) song. Except for the nostalgic element, it didnt get me excited much.

5. Kalyanam & namaloda - again usual rustic numbers reminiscent of 80s raaja. namaloda had good interludes/instrumentation. I dont think they will carry much recall value compared to other songs.

To sum up - Yathae, Enna kutham and adhisokka symbolize his versatality (known anyway). each a brilliant song in their own right. Since i liked 3 out 6 songs, I can say I have mixed opinions on this album, but the qualitative aspects of the 3 songs I liked far outweigh the other 3, which makes this album very interesting for me. In short, I am not at all disappointed. Raaja delivers!

Sunil_M88
3rd February 2012, 06:25 PM
sunil, my bad english. very bad, actually. i didn't knew how to translate the tamil word "chellam" sorry if my post was mis-leading. i shud have stopped with the word 'favourite'.

lets talk only about music :)

Sure!

Don't worry, my English isn't perfect. You're post wasn't misleading, I was just being silly... I went to Google translator and searched "Chellam" and it listed Dear, Darling, Child, Sweetie and Honey :grin: I'll assume you meant Dear. Naan Thamizh karka vendum

anegan
3rd February 2012, 07:58 PM
Sure!

Don't worry, my English isn't perfect. You're post wasn't misleading, I was just being silly... I went to Google translator and searched "Chellam" and it listed Dear, Darling, Child, Sweetie and Honey :grin: I'll assume you meant Dear. Naan Thamizh karka vendum

Sorry for the digression
Last week we had a Typewriting in தமிழ் தட்டச்சு பட்டறை (Tamil session in Minnesota). There was a lot of enthusiasm. We hope to hold few more sessions.

anegan
3rd February 2012, 08:01 PM
I am totally hooked up to Velayaatta Padagotti... absolutely fantastic.
There were a few other songs that I have heard over 100 times in a few days... this is one of those.

vem
3rd February 2012, 08:08 PM
It seems Sengattu Bhoomiyile is a disaster
http://behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-reviews/reviews-2/feb-12-01/sengathu-bhoomiyile-review.html

Comments worth noting: Is this IR's music ? Hilarious comments :-)

On Quality of movies: It goes without saying that we cannot take movies as intense as many of the Hollywood movies. My son who is just 5 years old was spellbound yesterday to see the "Alien" movie, taken in the 80s. I watched it for the nth time and still the suspense and screenplay looks so fresh and exciting as before. Many others are there in that category.

On the other hand, 90% of our movies fall in a category: Love, Arival, and Vulgarity. IR composes music for these mediocre ones too.

Why aren't we rising to the occasion and take solid movies that are watchable again and again....

Can Virumandi become a Usual Suspects ? I am not sure, but a novel attempt at least. I wish we could get some family entertainers at least in the future.

layman10
3rd February 2012, 08:14 PM
விளையாட்டா படகோட்டி - ஹரிஹரன் மற்றும் ஷ்ரேயா இரு பாடல்களுக்கும் ஒரே கோரஸை ஆரம்பத்தில் வைத்திருக்க வேண்டாமே! ஹரிஹரன் பாடல் ஏற்படுத்தும் உணர்வுகளுக்கும் கோரஸிற்கும் சரியா ஒத்துப்போகல என்பது எனது அபிப்ராயம்.

மேலும் கோரஸ் உருவாக்கத்தில் - நிலைப்பாட்டை ராஜா கொஞ்சம் மாத்திக்கணும். டிஜிட்டலுக்கு ஏற்றவாறு ராஜா நிறைய விஷயங்களில் தன்னை வகைப் படுத்திக் கொண்டாலும் கோரஸ்-கான ஒலிப்பதிவு மட்டும் மாறவேயில்லை.

I dont understand?. What is has digital has to do with this?. why voice reproduced with fidelity is not good enough? digitally processing tavil to shenai is just a fad than trend (mostly by MDs who cant think beyond). There is so much great music world over that still produces instrument/voice sound with fidelity, that is no way inferior. It need not be done, unless such processing/manipulation itself can be justified as an art form (like brush stokes in paintings) rather than a mandatory step.

SVN
3rd February 2012, 08:16 PM
VeLayaatta PadagOtti is a sweet melody that is going in a loop in my ipod now. Interestingly both versions - Hariharan's and Shreya's have their unique flavours and are great in their own right. Shreya's pronunciation is EXCELLENT! The lyrics are simple, yet profound. The SDBurman feeling is probably because it's a 'boat' song!

Sunil_M88
3rd February 2012, 09:14 PM
Anegan - I would definitely enroll but I live on the other side of the ocean.

end dig//

Sunil_M88
3rd February 2012, 09:27 PM
I've started to drown in Yathea :musicsmile: First interlude is monstrous :thumbsup:

Just like Yuvan, Bhavatharini too has this has rustic voice appeal and just like her brother, I believe the composer inside her is stronger than the singer. But here she truly excels, though I think her voice has been auto-tuned here and there.

The songs has shades of Yaarum Thodatha (Ajantha)

Plum
3rd February 2012, 09:49 PM
Sengaathu bhoomiyilae didn't feel like IR to me too. Worssttu!

kameshratnam
3rd February 2012, 10:59 PM
Yipeee Dhinakar Rajaram and i went to richie street chennai and we were 1st one to get the dhoni audio cd.

By 4 pm IST today evening. We were the first IR fans to purchase the CD. Sadly we had to struggle for 5 days to get the CD. WORST MANAGEMENT

‎Dhinakar Rajaram and i visited the sony india chennai office. We met Mr. Suresh who is in charge of the office. We straight away asked why this delay and he said the delay was because the master cd was given to them late and hence the delay. One fine day they suddenly came up and said audio release. Sony has assured us that from the next time they will try to take Ilayaraaja albums for release and they will consult our group too. Dhinakar showed the man our group raja fans an many other IR groups on the net- basically fan groups. They thanked Ilayaraaja fans for showing so much of interest in buying originals

V_S
3rd February 2012, 11:44 PM
Thanks Kamesh. :D I see the cover also mentions about downloading from iTunes. I tried searching in iTunes. It is still not available.

Bala (Karthik)
3rd February 2012, 11:48 PM
though I think her voice has been auto-tuned here and there.

I thought it was just me

Bala (Karthik)
4th February 2012, 12:14 AM
Dhoni - 2nd attempt

"Vaangum Panathukku" is the standout from this album. Balu owns it. Bluesy base but the tune, the sandhams are so Thamizh. *That* is Raaja. :notworthy: That, is signature, fidelity and security which comes with supreme confidence. That's the only way he knows i guess

Cncur with aakarsh on the other songs. Chinna Kannile is definitely not Raaja standard (and percussion is the least of the problems). And what's with ShreyaG's voice? Why does it sound different?

Mayilu beats Dhoni...

Bala (Karthik)
4th February 2012, 12:20 AM
If there is any debate on who's the greatest Indian playback singer (male), let's end it, please. Rafi will understand

Bala (Karthik)
4th February 2012, 12:28 AM
"Vaangum Panathukkum" 1st interlude is a beauty. Enna flow...

skr
4th February 2012, 12:32 AM
Plum ,
I thought Kaathiruppen Kaathiruppen was a louly , you get a really nice feel listening to it.
I think it was one of Reeta's best songs with very beautiful flute interludes

Bala (Karthik)
4th February 2012, 01:18 AM
Reg the guitaring in this song, are they two separate guitars playing, as in, a rhythm and a bass? To me it sounded like one acoustic guitar playing both the rhythm riffs and rounding them off with the bass notes (the bend notes). There's quite surely no electric bass guitar sound in the song from what I can hear. Whaddya guys think?

I think the bass is pizzicato from a double bass

Bala (Karthik)
4th February 2012, 01:36 AM
And the bass lines sound more like blues than jazz style 'walking' bass

kiru
4th February 2012, 06:37 AM

Mayilu beats Dhoni...
I think so too.. but Dhoni tunes seem to be built with longer phrases.. orchestration seems to be standard/classic IR.

Plum
4th February 2012, 07:01 AM
Bala, Ippollaam all and sundry beat dhoni so not surprising mayilu did, too :)

Sureshs65
4th February 2012, 08:32 AM
Bala,

As I had said in my writeup of 'vaangum panathukkum', the bass is definitely blues. Wonderfully done by Raja. Having a blues base and a typical film song!! The drumming though is more in the jazz style.

teja
4th February 2012, 12:41 PM
Dhoni Telugu version

http://www.raaga.com/channels/telugu/moviedetail.asp?mid=A0002863

RR
4th February 2012, 01:39 PM
Strange choice of singers for the important song of the album. But SPB song sounds even better in telugu. Actually, superb!

Gregorysab
4th February 2012, 03:38 PM
and the singer who song vilayaatta in telugu doesnt get the warmth of Hariharan

sureshmehcnit
4th February 2012, 05:39 PM
"Ilaiyaraaja and the Synth Myth" - some thoughts that I have been munching on for a week...

http://www.backgroundscore.com/2012/02/ilaiyaraaja-and-synth-myth.html

venkkiram
4th February 2012, 06:30 PM
"Ilaiyaraaja and the Synth Myth" - some thoughts that I have been munching on for a week...

Very nice article Suresh!

P.S: And, why does the very sound of Dhoni songs irritates my roommate though he could repeatedly listen to Aravaan songs, is something I am yet to understand.

Sad but reveals the current generation trend clearly!

Sunil_M88
4th February 2012, 06:38 PM

Dear Suresh Ji

Yes indeed a wonderful analysis. Your last line -

It is not the Synth. It could be the Sound recording. It definitely is the Melody. Melody is all!

- Really gets to the core and definitely sums your write-up.

BTW SEL also used that loop for Lakshya title song and though I'm not sure I think GVP has used that same effect if not loop for Pirai Thedum and the later is one of my most fav songs of 2011. So yes, this further supports the argument of melody being the biggest lifeline of a song/instrumental. The melody has to be concrete from whoever composes it, but to an extent that too depends on the listeners taste.

The last tracks from Raaja Saab with complete emotional synth overdose are Neeral Udal Kazhuvi (Sounds like a cousin of Celebration of life from Aayrathil Oruvan) and Thedi Vantha (Ponnar Shankar). These two tracks, have tall pillars in all three categories i.e. Synth, Sound-engineering and melody.

Digression//

To those, who think Synth arrangements make the refreshing quotient less compared live recording - I just have to say one word "VANGELIS".

krish244
4th February 2012, 07:39 PM
Sengathu Bhoomiyile reviews. Contrasting opinions on music/BGM.

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/channels/showbiz/movie-reviews/sengathu-bhoomiyile-review-casting-music-ensure-winner-797

"In ornate lettering, “Isaignani Ilaiyaraja's Sengathu Bhoomiyile” flashes on screen, a tribute to the music maestro. The story goes that Ilaiyaraja was moved to tears by the climax of the film and wrote a song ‘En usuru enna vittu', which ‘would echo in the hearts of the audience all the way to the parking area'. I admit I fell for this prelude. This is one of the three reasons I won't word-punch this movie right away ..... The music is nothing to write home about. The background score is jerky and often arbitrary. It sounds like a template of Ilaiyaraja's."

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/channels/showbiz/movie-reviews/sengathu-bhoomiyile-review-casting-music-ensure-winner-797

"...Ilayaraja’s background score is the backbone of the film. It gives the right emotions at the right places..."

thanks,

Krishnan

sureshmehcnit
4th February 2012, 07:51 PM
Very nice article Suresh!

Sad but reveals the current generation trend clearly!

I don't have a problem with him liking Aravaan. I like Aravaan music immensely myself. I just wonder what in the sound of Ilaiyaraaja music makes them not even give a chance and listen to the entire song once.

sureshmehcnit
4th February 2012, 08:17 PM
Dear Suresh Ji

Yes indeed a wonderful analysis. Your last line -

It is not the Synth. It could be the Sound recording. It definitely is the Melody. Melody is all!

- Really gets to the core and definitely sums your write-up.

BTW SEL also used that loop for Lakshya title song and though I'm not sure I think GVP has used that same effect if not loop for Pirai Thedum and the later is one of my most fav songs of 2011. So yes, this further supports the argument of melody being the biggest lifeline of a song/instrumental. The melody has to be concrete from whoever composes it, but to an extent that too depends on the listeners taste.

The last tracks from Raaja Saab with complete emotional synth overdose are Neeral Udal Kazhuvi (Sounds like a cousin of Celebration of life from Aayrathil Oruvan) and Thedi Vantha (Ponnar Shankar). These two tracks, have tall pillars in all three categories i.e. Synth, Sound-engineering and melody.

Digression//

To those, who think Synth arrangements make the refreshing quotient less compared live recording - I just have to say one word "VANGELIS".

Totally forgot that Lakshya song. I have some reservations about Thedi Vandha song, though it is an excellent melody. Sampled voices, I guess.

wizzy
4th February 2012, 08:51 PM
@Sunil_M88 using Synth is not a sin :-) imo I find Raaja the composer is not at ease using it..to provide a tennis analogy Raaja using Live orchestration is like watching Fedex on grass/hard courts..a poetry in motion. Why do you wanna see Fedex nudge and prod in clay.

Plum
4th February 2012, 08:56 PM
Suresh/sunil - this is precisely what I was talking about yesterday. What in IR prevents the youththu from giving it a chance - why the uncool man dressed uncooly and uncool to flaunt as a taste in peer circles. As simple as that. As someone noted, if the same audio is released with Yuvan's name, it might do much nbetter

Nerd
4th February 2012, 09:30 PM
Is the audio CD any better for Dhoni? Listen to this Raja number from the obscure KannukkullE (2009) - http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR4221'&lang=en Especially the 2nd interlude. That's what I am talking about. Real violins against a single real violin followed by a real flute. Sounds fantastic. Dhoni songs, the orchestration particularly, somehow don't sound this *crisp*. Only the SPB song sounds perfect.

Sunil_M88
4th February 2012, 09:42 PM
Suresh - could you please elaborate on what you mean by sampled voices.

Wizzy - Yes, synth is no sin. I don't think you understood my post. I'm a defender of using synth, as I use it myself extensively :) BTW Raaja Saab is one of the finest pioneers of synth music, so don't know why you think hes not at ease using it when in fact he's mastered the art of it.

venkki/plum - I don't have the right to say this but I think the majority of the current generation born in the mid 80s to late 90s and certainly millennium onwards don't really feel the need to revisit Raaja Saab's forgotten early material therefore they are disabling themselves from his music. Hence, they might be taking his recently released material at face value and find they cannot relate to it after first impressions hence don't bother going back to give it a second chance.

NormalMan
4th February 2012, 10:43 PM
Folks,
I have been telling this for a while, but got beaten up for saying so. Its a trend Karthikraja that got IR sucked into. Too many instruments fighting for space and yet you cannot hear any single instrument clearly. Name one song or IR where you were able clearly hear an instrument crisp and clear. Probably ASK's theme was the one I heard in a long time.

Change sound engineer - that's the only thing I can say.

kiru
5th February 2012, 02:51 AM
Good article, Suresh. Yes, it is the melody or tune that matters. But I hope in this context, I hope your readers dont underestimate the value of live acoustic recordings. Dhoni is an acoustic delight..I will say that 1000 times (notice the decay of the sounds - my main earphones are broke, I need to get it fixed, it is going to be much better in it). Please buy the CD and play it on tower speakers a bit loudly. It is very difficult to reproduce IR songs in playback equipment because of the large number of instruments used. You need to get good equipment for the "separation" and low bass of drums.
Yes, synths have been used in IR songs for a long time (bad usage easily noticed in thenRalE ennai thodu itself - I cannot imagine all the 80s songs with Dhoni like sound - pure heaven). Puru has confirmed that synth strings play along with real strings most of the time to add 'body'. But people like me have been very specific about our complaints with synths. Major problems are with the drum and string sounds. Recently, this seems to have been remedied. Mainly because the current synths - do not synthesize sound - but playback sampled sounds i.e recorded sounds of real instruments. Same thing goes for drum loops (Rahman is a pioneer in this area).
Currently, my major gripe is the too liberal usages of "delays" (echo in normal terms). Very bad. This is done mainly in "modern" songs.. the rustic/folksy ones seem to be unmarred this way. Yes, in this context, fire the sound engineer.
Suresh, you are right Dhoni is nandhala-2, especially with thavi thaavi. Similarly, mayilu is kaathal jathi-2.

kiru
5th February 2012, 02:58 AM
Is the audio CD any better for Dhoni? Listen to this Raja number from the obscure KannukkullE (2009) - http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR4221'&lang=en Especially the 2nd interlude. That's what I am talking about. Real violins against a single real violin followed by a real flute. Sounds fantastic. Dhoni songs, the orchestration particularly, somehow don't sound this *crisp*. Only the SPB song sounds perfect.

The solo violin, yes, because I think it has real space around it. And probably the flute. The backing strings and drums seem to be synth, I think. But very good. I am not complaining. There are other guys here who can notice pitch adjustments done in software.Maybe, they can comment.

Sureshs65
5th February 2012, 11:16 AM
The standard debate :) So I must also contribute my standard two cents :)

First, I would agree with Suresh that 'Dhoni' has nothing to do with live recording / live instruments etc. I was going to write this in my 'Dhoni' review. (which ofcourse hasn't happened yet). The truth is that I cannot discern any major difference between Raja's recent albums and 'Dhoni'. I personally feel 'Snehaveedu' has the same warmth that "Dhoni' has, though it uses synth.

Coming to NormalMan's opinion about too instruments fighting for space, I would agree to it in case of 'Ponnar Shankar'. But as I had mentioned in the very beginning of the Raja 2012 post, Raja has been changing. 'Ponnar Shankar' is probably an example of the sort of orchestration and recording where instruments are fighting for space and too much is happening on the background. Nothing wrong with too much happening in the background but if the sounds are not separated well, you may not get the desired result. The latest few albums of Raja don't seem to supper from his. ''ASK', Sree Rama Rajyam', 'Sneha Veedu', 'Prasad' and 'Dhoni' all have lesser instruments and generally the separation seems to far crisper.

Coming to synth itself, I see three different patterns and in each the effectiveness is different. Let me try and enunciate these here.

1. The High Energy / Youthful songs: These are the songs in which, according to me, synth is not effective at all. Here the synthesizer is used in place of some wind instruments like sax, trumpet etc and also to give some 'special effect' sounds. Unfortunately these songs lose their energy due to these 'effect' sounds and also sound dated. The energy that you get from real instruments is far better than what you could get from synth. Just check out how much energy you get from the nadaswaram in 'rekka katti'(Valmiki). Also the the thavil and shenoy in 'Mayilu' add so much energy to 'kalyanamam kalyanam', whereas in the other song, 'nammaloda paatu' you can clearly see the synth bringing down the energy. There are quite a few songs which Raja did, which were supposed to be 'youthful' and attract the 'youth' but it never happened. Unfortunately these songs appealed to neither the youth nor to Raja fans. (Added to it ofcourse was the use of singers like Tippu, whom not many liked.) I can point you to songs from 'Nannavanu', 'Kannukkule', 'Kangalum Kavi Padudhe' etc as examples of these songs.

If you observe the other MDs, for high energy songs they generally depend only on the rhythm and a loud bass more than anything else. You will notice even the interludes are driven by the rhythm. Everyone is helped by some attractive / catchy loops available in the market, both for rhythm and bass. So they end up using it as it is and only add 'layers' of instruments but the rhythm is unceasing. Take any current hit song, with is loved by the youth and has high energy and compare it with something like 'vaanam kottatum'. You can clearly see that there is no way Raja can recreate something like 'vanam kottatum' on synth. That requires real instruments. So in this case of 'youthful' / high energy songs it is going to a tough task for Raja. One, because the current generation is used to the loops / beats and want the energy that these loops give. So even if you give a very high energy song with real drumming etc, it is not going to be easy to attract the youth. Whereas Raja may be reluctant to use the loops as it, without his signature. It will be interesting to see how he moves forward in this case.

2. Romantic songs / Melodies: Here I don't find too many problems with the synthesizer since in many cases there is no need for special effect sounds from the synthesize. Raja has used the synthesizer fairly well for the romantic melodies I would say. Unlike some others, I don't feel the worth of the melody has come down due to the usage of synthesizer. I would go ahead to say that having live instruments would not have added an incremental effect, if at all. The reason for this is not that synthesizers are producing the exact sound. It is because of the way that Raja is tuning nowadays. In earlier times, early usage of synth, Raja probably tried to recreate his whole orchestra with synth. That did not sound too great. Later he has changed his style more towards smooth jazz and this works well with the synthesizer. Here there is no grand orchestra recreation. It is only a few instruments playing. I sometimes think that this is what old timers crib about. The lack of the grand interludes. Rather the interludes nowadays are 'tame' if you go by what you hear. The truth is they are not 'tame', rather 'different'. The interlude of say, 'poo poothadhu' is as lovely as any interlude you would have heard with the complete live orchestra, only if you are able to tune yourself towards the jazz delight that 'poo poothadhu' is. Suresh in his writeup has given some current songs where the synth doesn't intrude and adds value. I will give some more : All song of 'Snehaveedu', the two duets of 'Gayam 2', the duet in ASK, 'Edaya Baagilu', 'Chinna Polike', 'Angel Angel' and so on.

Though not romantic melody, I would also add another class of songs in this section. Those are the softer melodies that he does for children or about children. Songs from 'Nandala' and from 'Prasad'. Here too I don't find the synth out of place.

3. Ambiance songs: What I mean by this is songs wherein the synthsizer is used to create and sustain an ambiance. Raja in the 80s didn't do much in this direction I would say. He always got the emotions he wanted through a constantly changing patterns. He probably didn't like the idea of the same drone going on to create an ambiance. (Probably felt that didn't challenge him enough?). It was after the synthesizer got firmly entrenched in TFM that Raja started trying this. The experimentation though was carried in MFM and not TFM, for some unknown reason. The first song which stunned me was 'manjolum raathri' from 'Oru Yathra Mozhi'. What an extraordinary ambiance Raja creates with the synth!! This was followed by songs like 'virahamay vipalamay', sharadendu paadi' and 'sivamallipoove'. I will definitely say that in these songs the synth adds a lot more to the listening experience. I am sure Raja could not have tuned these the way he did without synth. Real instruments would not have captured this sort of ambiance. The example that Sunil gave is probably the best to explain this fact. 'neeral udal kazhuvi'. The ambiance as if you are at a cremation ground itself comes from electronics here. Again I am very certain that no real instruments could have got this ambiance. I do hope Raja does some such songs in Tamil. Malayalis have been lucky that way to get some great songs from him.

To sum up, synthesizer is an inevitable part of the current musical setup. So let us hope Raja uses it in such a way that it gives us maximum pleasure. And as Normal Men we would also love high quality recordings.

Sureshs65
5th February 2012, 11:23 AM
Another thing I have noticed. There is not much debate about other MDs using synth. Yes, in some case the synth usage in Raja songs is jarring but even in those where it is not, we have people complaining. But I have noticed quite a lot of songs of Rahman where I can clearly hear that real instruments weren't used (example would be the chorus Akbar song from 'Jodha Akbar'. There are trumpet like sounds which sound very ineffective to me but overall no one had a complaint.) I guess that takes us back to Plum's theory. An old dhoti clad man cannot understand technology :) Honestly I would love someone who actually knows about synthesizer and can talk about sound separation (like Kiru say :) to take up an album like 'Snehaveedu' and analyse it against some of the other recent hits and find out if there is anything wrong with 'Snehaveedu' in terms of synth usage and sound recording.

Gregorysab
5th February 2012, 01:47 PM
http://www.thehindu.com/arts/cinema/article2860230.ece?homepage=true

There have been requests in the past to perform live for movies, Ilayaraja discloses. “But I don't accept each invitation. I saw the interest Prakash Raj showed towards the compositions. He is also a huge fan of live orchestra. His passion towards live music made me accept the offer,” says the composer.

interesting! shows yet again the randomness (translate as the luck of the producer/director approaching raaja).

His decision to accept a film lies with the story and the makers. “There are no hard and fast rules. At that moment, if I like the concept of the film, I take it up,” he says.

The reasons/instincts that make him accept or reject a film remain elusive! :-)

jmahesh
5th February 2012, 02:55 PM
dhoni music release on vijay tv now

jmahesh
5th February 2012, 09:48 PM
http://tamil.techsatish.net/file/dhoni/

watch dhoni music release

V_S
5th February 2012, 10:07 PM
Excellent insights on IR's synth usage Suresh ji and Suresh ji. :smile: Can't be said better. A whole lot of Malayalam melodies post 90's with synth, especially those with Sathyan Anthikkad's films, definitely a cut above the rest. I can safely rest on these melodies without having to worry about live instruments/recording.

Sureshs65
5th February 2012, 10:53 PM
Saw the picturization of 'vangum panathukkum'. They have done it well with Prabu Deva dancing for it. Could catch attention of lot of people.

Nerd
5th February 2012, 10:58 PM
Promo of 3 songs here, albeit in Telugu. Not sure if this was shown on Vijay too. Haven't seen it yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfsfckXbTxg

sureshmehcnit
6th February 2012, 03:33 AM
Suresh/sunil - this is precisely what I was talking about yesterday. What in IR prevents the youththu from giving it a chance - why the uncool man dressed uncooly and uncool to flaunt as a taste in peer circles. As simple as that. As someone noted, if the same audio is released with Yuvan's name, it might do much nbetter

No. He isn't that kind of a person at all. When he could proudly flaunt in his peer circles "Naagamalai Saanjiduchu" as his favorite song from Aravaan soundtrack, he can't be one such person. If he was one of that kind, I wouldn't even bother to know the reason for hating Ilaiyaraaja song. In fact, I was listening to Chinna kannilae song, he just passed by and casually the song fell in his ears, he heard the song for seconds and said, "yennada mokkai paattu kaetukittu irukkae.. yenna padam.. yaaru music".

karlkalyan
6th February 2012, 08:55 AM
I just don't understand the excited claims by ignorant directors/artists about IR using live orchestra bla bla. This is nothing but sheer ignorance. The standard orchestra team comprises KBs, Rhythm section including Indian rhythm section, BG/EG, flute.......and during the track record of the song, only these basic troupe will be there. Then if there is a string portion, then they are added in a separate session. Like they add the voices later with the singers.

In the same way, for RR sessions, in earlier days, all the 70 odd players will be there in full attendance during the 3-4 day period he used take for a film's RR work. This 70 include sitar kind of instruments which are sparingly used. But now a days, due to the advancement in technology, the string section is called the last. They will come for the last two days......and their portions will be filled up in each reel.

From his earlier days, his score will always mention lot of unavailable instrument...like Oboe.......in the score he would have written it as QxProg-Oboe, Xylo, Bassoon, or he will mention it as kb1 or kb2...like that. These things he would clear it off during the initial rehearsal...so that the two kb players are clear as to who is playing what.

And in many string sections or brass sections also, the KBs are asked to supplement the live players. Most of the time the live flute is accompanied by the kb also. or in some cases the need for a syn voice from the kbs.

So people who talk about his using live orchestra, live instruments for this song or this film or that film, just don't know what they are talking about.

MumbaiRamki
6th February 2012, 09:38 AM
No. He isn't that kind of a person at all. When he could proudly flaunt in his peer circles "Naagamalai Saanjiduchu" as his favorite song from Aravaan soundtrack, he can't be one such person. If he was one of that kind, I wouldn't even bother to know the reason for hating Ilaiyaraaja song. In fact, I was listening to Chinna kannilae song, he just passed by and casually the song fell in his ears, he heard the song for seconds and said, "yennada mokkai paattu kaetukittu irukkae.. yenna padam.. yaaru music".

I think it is the 'pattern' in IR's tune that appears so familiar - Esp 'chinna kannilae ' < Pause > ' Enna punnagai' <pause> - The pause is something that is so standard of raaja and sometimes , on first few hearings , i too felt it was just bit ordinary - Again, if its boring for someone , it is boring - why bother abt it !

San_K
6th February 2012, 11:52 AM
Yes Chinna kannile is outdated though I liked it. I don't KNOW what to blame whethr the orchestration or recording (can't figure out why it failed to sound good)

kiru
6th February 2012, 01:26 PM
Very strange .. in this same forum people were complaining about synths. Now we get an album with live acoustic recording and you guys say 'no big deal'. Come on guys.. gone are the days when IR used to record with this many number of people/instruments. Many commented about the few people in the studio doing complete recordings. IR himself takes his salary separately and charges more for the recording. He convinced pazhassi rAjA team to pay more for orchestral recording. Whenever a big string section is used for recording it makes a news (like it did for en mana vaanil - enna solli paaduvatho).
In recent albums only a few instruments are real - tabla in mayilu, electric/acoustic guitars in snehaveedu/ramana etc. The main reason we dont notice much difference is because the drum sounds is set to real drumkit sound and the strings on keyboard, for that matter any instrument, are more realistic sounding now, as they are actually playing back recorded live instruments (sampled). Quality difference is more like different bit rates of mp3. But we can also notice from the way the instrument sounds - there is a difference between a key press and for eg. fingers plucking a guitar string.

kiru
6th February 2012, 01:30 PM
In fact, I was listening to Chinna kannilae song, he just passed by and casually the song fell in his ears, he heard the song for seconds and said, "yennada mokkai paattu kaetukittu irukkae.. yenna padam.. yaaru music".
hm...what would he say .. if you were listening to thukkamena thuraram enna from mayilu.. probably mistake it for veLLa manam uLLa machan from chinna veedu.
I think IR's attitude is like this - ok..I will make a song with tabla.. call me a rustic musician.. I will also make a score with complete orchestral sections.. what are you going to call me.. to hell with all this.. I will do whatever is appropriate :-)

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
6th February 2012, 03:00 PM
in the score he would have written it as QxProg-Oboe, Xylo, Bassoon, or he will mention it as kb1 or kb2...like that. These things he would clear it off during the initial rehearsal...so that the two kb players are clear as to who is playing what.

yaaru saar neenga?! I guess u r one who have access to reach and see Raja's scoresheets! ethaachum handwritten scoresheets irunthaa sollunga!

karlkalyan
6th February 2012, 03:12 PM
yaaru saar neenga?! I guess u r one who have access to reach and see Raja's scoresheets! ethaachum handwritten scoresheets irunthaa sollunga!

Oh sure, would be happy to share them.......but how to post them here.......the size is too big for the limit allowed here......

RR
6th February 2012, 03:22 PM
Oh sure, would be happy to share them.......but how to post them here.......the size is too big for the limit allowed here......
karlkayan, you can zip & upload to mediafire.com and post the link here. Or you can email me. I'll host it on tfmpage. Pls check your pm.

San_K
6th February 2012, 04:49 PM
Very strange .. in this same forum people were complaining about synths. Now we get an album with live acoustic recording and you guys say 'no big deal'.

I have no complaints except Chinna Kannile song and My order in dhoni is

1) Vaangum Panathukkum
2) Thavi Thavi
3) Vilaiyatta Pogatti (Hariharan)
4) Vilaiyatta Pogatti (SG)
5) Chinna Kannile

Ofcourse I rated the SPB song as a weak song in this album after my hurryburry first listen :lol:

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
6th February 2012, 04:52 PM
karlkayan :D

Btw, some things to ponder:-

Make sure there is no copyright issues et all. If the score is of an already released album, preferably 80s, 90s then it shudn't be a problem. If that score is from an yet to be released film, or an not recorded music piece, better skip that and post some other popular song

If possible, add watermarks needed.

If posting a popular song, kindly DO NOT tell what song it is, let we folks try to figure it out :lol:

What format it is, image(jpg/png/bmp etc) or pdf

KV
6th February 2012, 04:55 PM
SureshM, KarlK, in case my rants've been the ire-trigger here, allow me to clarify... I've been referring to real/live/acoustic instruments and not live recording (or track recording, which doesn't bother me. As long as the sound quality is fine, anything works for me).
And I'm well aware that synth's been part of Raaja's work for quite sometime now, but somewhere along the way, something changed (maybe proportion of synth increased over the acoustic/real instruments), and it has been constantly evolving, with many hits and misses happening with the 'mix'. The biased being that I am, my rants/pointers have been on my desire for more free-flowing acoustic portions in his work. ambuttudhEn.

KV
6th February 2012, 05:00 PM
btw, that 'BGM showcasing' in Dhoni audio launch... :shock: :bow: :clap: :this-too-much:

KV
6th February 2012, 05:07 PM
Reg the guitaring in this song, are they two separate guitars playing, as in, a rhythm and a bass? To me it sounded like one acoustic guitar playing both the rhythm riffs and rounding them off with the bass notes (the bend notes). There's quite surely no electric bass guitar sound in the song from what I can hear. Whaddya guys think?

I think the bass is pizzicato from a double bass

B(k), it doesn't sound like pizzicato. Three-in-one song la palichchu nu kEkkumE, adhu dhaana neenga sollradhu?
From the audio launch concert, the bend notes seemed to have been played on the acoustic guitars (two of 'em), though there was an electric bass playing along (which I think is kinda audible only in some portions of the charanams).

karlkalyan
6th February 2012, 05:15 PM
SureshM, KarlK, in case my rants've been the ire-trigger here, allow me to clarify... I've been referring to real/live/acoustic instruments and not live recording (or track recording, which doesn't bother me. As long as the sound quality is fine, anything works for me).
And I'm well aware that synth's been part of Raaja's work for quite sometime now, but somewhere along the way, something changed (maybe proportion of synth increased over the acoustic/real instruments), and it has been constantly evolving, with many hits and misses happening with the 'mix'. The biased being that I am, my rants/pointers have been on my desire for more free-flowing acoustic portions in his work. ambuttudhEn.

Hi KV, no issues, I fully understand where you are coming from. From the eighties, when the recording tech started evolving very fast, our man's problem has been just one thing-not giving importance to the technology of recording, mixing......and the quality of the final output.

In fact, the standard joke amongst the musicians of IR is "others dish out some thing but with excellent packaging....and score ...while we keep creating a quality stuff which gets in bad packaging........" very true, right?

During the peak eighties, do you know who did the final song mix for most no of movies? This man Uttam Singh...... Who is he, just an arranger/orchestrator from Bombay. period. But some how our man got impressed with him so much that he did so much work..... once in fifteen days he will come and spend a couple of days and mix for 4/5 movies....roughly about 30 songs....and push with a fat packet.

Even to this day, this sad state continues. Even though Prabhakar/Sekar are in charge of Prasad studios today and are experienced, our man interferes too much in their work. That is his whole problem. Of course, he also accepts that when he goes to Budapest, he can only give his opinion about the final output. Not touch the controls.

But then that is not his job right. When John William records, then Shawn Murphy takes care of the recording. He decides the mikes and their placements. And also the final output. Because for all his scores, John himself does the conducting. Of course, his music editor will also be there. All these three decide the best take. If any one of them says no, then they go for another take!

But then team work is some thing alien here....that is the sad irony.

KV
6th February 2012, 05:31 PM
Oh, Suttham Singh has so much say in the proceedings?! Jeesh! Guess we'll just have to live with these like how we've done all these years. :(
I remember reading KR's name in Paa, credited for either sound engg or some sftwr thingy. Now, Paa's sound was superb, the sound engg seemed at par with the work of any other contemporary artist in India. What was different there? And how?

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
6th February 2012, 05:38 PM
karlkalyan :D So you are one who is 'inside' ?! Ok, In live recording, this mixing and other stuff is not there right? I mena, like the old days, in one go, everything is recorded and once the song is finished playing, the Master tape is ready, right? Or else, adding effects takes place, even after live-recording the whole song?

If that is not the case, then this uttam singh guy no more has job rite? Oru veLai, ivara kazhatti vida thaan Raja antha live recording kku maarittaaro?!? Nallathu nadanthaa sari :)

karlkalyan
6th February 2012, 05:48 PM
Oh, Suttham Singh has so much say in the proceedings?! Jeesh! Guess we'll just have to live with these like how we've done all these years. :(
I remember reading KR's name in Paa, credited for either sound engg or sftwr. Now, Paa's sound was superbly, the sound engg seemed at par with the work of any other contemporary artist in India. What was different there? And how?

No, that **** is no longer involved in the mixing part. That stopped long back. Now a days it is done either by these guys in Prasad rec or some outsiders. But in general, all of them pretty ordinary, to say the least. You see as a composer you should be concerned about your final output which goes out of your studio to the public domain. If you have that, then you will find out some one who is good at it, like Rahman did with H Sridhar. Or even Sivakumar who does the mixing at AM/KM studios today.

Paa's final mixing of audio was done by some guy who was incharge of Media Artist Rec Studios....sorry forgot his name, he gets main credit in the movie, who was asst to H Sridhar at Media Artists Recording studios.

venkkiram
6th February 2012, 05:53 PM
No, that idiot is no longer involved in the mixing part. KR meant for Karthik Raja? Surprised to read the word "idiot".

wizzy
6th February 2012, 05:58 PM
^ Uttam Singh ->Suttam Singh

KV
6th February 2012, 06:02 PM
Yaara saar idiottnu sollreenga? (RR tension aaidapOraaru :razz: ) US aa illa KR aa? yEn indha patta pEru?

karlkalyan
6th February 2012, 06:11 PM
Yaara saar idiottnu sollreenga? (RR tension aaidapOraaru :razz: ) US aa illa KR aa? yEn indha patta pEru?

I meant US .....sorry for that word. But then having watched from close quarters for nearly 20 years....how this man creates such trail blazing works, which get botched up by all these good for nothing intermediaries in the process....if you think about that, then it is very very mild!

KV
6th February 2012, 06:16 PM
:shock: OMG! tonty years! Tell us more! You a musician in his troupe?

Sunil_M88
6th February 2012, 06:30 PM
is it uttam singh or suttam singh, if it's uttam singh, is he the same guy who done music for dil to pagal hai, gadar: ek prem katha, pinjar if yes then he's CERTAINLY NO IDIOT :@

karlkalyan
6th February 2012, 06:36 PM
Yes he is the same guy. But I stand by my opinion which is based not on what he has done or achieved...what he was doing killing some one's creative output. And of course, when some one trusts him so much even today, then you and I can not do anything about it. Except getting frustrated....

Sunil_M88
6th February 2012, 06:45 PM
When I saw the dhoni (trailer) It wasn't vangum panathukkum that struck the most, it the respective following 3 parts: at 1:54 (the boy on stretcher) 2:10 (reads music by isaignani ilaiyaraaja, boy's on wheelchair at the beach) and 2.56 (when piano arrives) - The common link between all these three only hit me recently, don't know if anybody else clocked but they all share the thaavi thavi pogum melody, which now is evidently the main theme of the film. Raaja Saab :bow:

Sunil_M88
6th February 2012, 06:50 PM
how many projects has he done with IR? you said he's no longer with IR but I read he arranged Hello Jai Hind??

karlkalyan
6th February 2012, 07:18 PM
You see in the 80s/90s he did a lot song final mixing work...during the peak golden period. Then now and then when our man does some work in Bombay, he gets involved. And he claims a lot of things in the press....but then he knows our man is not going to contradict him...and he is very good at ego management........I have been hearing the same statement time and again for the last 20 years whenever he gets a mike "I have worked with all the music directors in the country, and there is no one like Ilaiyaraaja........bla bla.......as if he has discovered this before any one else in the world kind of talk to you know.......I don't know whether you would be able to get my emotions right from these few lines....but remember it does not convey every thing......

Sunil_M88
6th February 2012, 07:43 PM
I don't know where he's been, as you said "killing some one's creative output." Could you please list the first, foremost movies that come to your mind. Personally, I don't think you can SOLELY blame the fella, there's a lot of other factors...

SoftSword
6th February 2012, 07:48 PM
summa puttu puttu vekkireega!!
welcome to hub mr. karkalyan.

SoftSword
6th February 2012, 07:49 PM
sunil,
it is his observation from closed quarters and it may not be 100% true so that u get convinced.
there is no need for cross examination :)

Sunil_M88
6th February 2012, 08:06 PM
Fair enough SS, but to call the guy an idiot is a bit harsh, that's why I just wanted a simple reasoning as to how he's killed IRs creative output. Anyways, karlkalyan since you're talking about your personal experience with they guy, may be there are many emotions/things you can't convey so we'll leave it at that :)

SoftSword
6th February 2012, 08:20 PM
sunil,

sometimes when it leaks, it stinks.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
6th February 2012, 08:26 PM
And he claims a lot of things in the press....but then he knows our man is not going to contradict him...and he is very good at ego management........I have been hearing the same statement time and again for the last 20 years whenever he gets a mike "I have worked with all the music directors in the country, and there is no one like Ilaiyaraaja........bla bla.......as if he has discovered this before any one else in the world kind of talk to you know.......I don't know whether you would be able to get my emotions right from these few lines....but remember it does not convey every thing......

i saw him saying exactly this, in "Nothing but wind - Live" and once he said this, Raja became quite upset. Actually in that programme, many, incl some real st_pid fans irritated Raja. first time naan vaazhkayila avarai paarkkuren. The moment he entered the hall, i was stitting on balcony, i was just moved to tears(negizchi). felt so happy that i never got such a amount of that un nameable feeling. but felt sad that some ppl and some fans are not matured on how to behave themselves before Raja.

RR
6th February 2012, 08:47 PM
Here's two IR scoresheets from karlkalyan. Thanks, karl kalyan !

http://mayyam.com/contribs/karlkalyan/

I'm just amazed (understatement) to see how he has visualized the singara velan song (as requested, i am not revealing it) on paper. kalkalyan, pls give an idam sutti porul vilakkam .. !

skr
6th February 2012, 09:22 PM
Hi Karlkayan,
Interesting reading all your posts , wonderful to see the all these notations.
Boy , amazing to hear you have been seeing his recordings for tonty yrs , padikarthaye pularips

Please share with us the following:
1 When Raaja writes a song , does he write the entire notations and portions at one go - the portion for the singers , violins , flute etc or is it like he
writes the score first and then marks out the areas where singers need to sing , violin parts , flute bits etc
2 Can you recall one incident in his recording which totally blew you away and made you mesmerised.
Please also let us know which song.
3 Does IR allow anybody to interfere with his note writing ?
I have heard 2 sides of the coin here
a) Everything is conceived by him and whatever he writes the musicians will have to follow blindly.
b) He allows a little bit of leavage to some of his musicians and allows suggestions , ive read that people like Viji Manuel etc had a say in some of his works.
4 Also please share with us incidents of his speed , spontaneity and creativity.

KV
6th February 2012, 09:50 PM
KarlK, thanks for sharing this! As much as I'm amazed at the amount of detailing, I just don't know how to make sense of what's written!
Can you please give some quick pointers on how to read this?

Fliflo
6th February 2012, 09:59 PM
Tamil remake of Gundello Godari is "Marenthen Mannithen"

http://www.supergoodmovies.com/38707/tollywood/gundello-godari-in-tamil-as-maranthen-mannithen-news-details

baroque
6th February 2012, 10:01 PM
KV,

WCM theory lessons, CSR has posted in his blog.

Take sometime to read the lessons, it will help you to figure out the score sheet.CSR or vicky கேளுங்க சொல்லுவாங்க! follow pannaradhu easy!

RR, Kark, thanks for the sheet music.

Wonderful.

Hope , Raja preserves his works, keep them for future generations.

Maybe, even release them as book, keep them available at the libraries across the country.

Starting from Anna centenary library, music sectionley, grade level piano lessons books , children favorite movie songs etc..

Maybe it should be printed as BIG-NOTE score sheet music.

love,

vinatha.

oh... DHONI is a delight! Except chinna..... (not liking the percussion), rest are amazing!

I am glad , Raja used stunning real instruments.

Hope to see, same Raja with GVM.

skr
6th February 2012, 11:26 PM
Awesomeness beyond Awesomeness. :clap:
http://soundcloud.com/chandri/bgm-dhoni-last

MumbaiRamki
6th February 2012, 11:51 PM

This was shown in the function. TO be honest , i thot the visuals without BGM was better - Ideally , they should have showed this first and then that . With no earler scenes , it os not correct to show the cliping with BGM first

Sureshs65
7th February 2012, 12:21 AM
Maybe I am getting old, but I thought 'Chinna Kanniley' was a perfect song for what was being conveyed. The rhythm goes along very well with the breeziness of the song.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
7th February 2012, 12:43 AM

enakku ithula perusaa nallaa irukkura maathiri konjam kooda theriyalaye. what happened?!?

skr
7th February 2012, 02:01 AM
Sakalakala Sir ,
Romba nalla iruke sir , ungalukku pidikalaya :)
The fugue portion with a single violin followed by a series of violins gives that melancholic feel
And that thundering effect towards the end seems to communicate a lot
Naan oru 10 thadava ketrupen.

baroque
7th February 2012, 02:33 AM
I think Nerd mentioned the composition ENGE NEE SENDRALUM....
I really like the composition with the plenty of violin and Karthik :-D good singing.
but... not digging that Synth beat , though I like the rhythm change in the composition.

konjam konjam chinna chinna kuraigal...

ok!

Dhoni is fantastic!

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
7th February 2012, 06:53 AM
KarlK, thanks for sharing this! As much as I'm amazed at the amount of detailing, I just don't know how to make sense of what's written!
Can you please give some quick pointers on how to read this?

KV, arai vekkaadugaLukku arai vekkaadu aasaami sonnaa thaan puriyum! So I am perfect to explain for you, only to the (too little) amount i know.

Lets take the singaara velan, as you can mostly identify, it is for the Bum chikku (oru cheri kacheri ) song by SPB. You can see Raja has written the time and date on the top of score! and even he has written the singer name as Balu, also the production banner(Paavalar creations for here)

Generally this is how music is written, this is a global standard :- The sheet is filled with six line bars, its name is 'staff' the staff is set of six lines, it basically holds 2 very important, primary things. a note, 1) which note it is & 2) how long that note shud be played. More than one note can be played at same time, there is provision to write that. Music is written in similar fashion like how we write text in naalu-kodu notebook. Here, instead of alphabets, notes are written.

A note means one specific key in a keyboard/piano. Each key has a note name. similar to our Sa Ri Ga Ma Pa Tha Ni Sa, in western world, it is C D E F G A B C.

Now that i have said that notes, and every note's respective duration is written, what about gaps/silence in music? Silence is also written with special symbol.

Before going into the score, lets look at the below image, for ultra basic fundas

http://www.filebuzz.com/software_screenshot/full/136657-Sheet_Music_Treble_Clef_and_Bass_Clef_HN.gif

In the above image, you will find notes, written in their respective position. In the beginning you find this symbol which looks like this "&", that is called treble. that means these notes are to be played in right hand. You can see notes going outside the range of 6 lines.

Mostly this is melody, or the main tune which we hear with lyrics. In the image you find 2 staffs, upper and lower. Upper staff has notes starting from A to B and lower staff has notes from C to C. Locate the note G in the upper staff. Now, just traceback the line which has this G, This is the line which is crossed by the & symbol, 4th line. This 4th line is G.To identify that, the symbil & is written crossing the 4th line.

Now, we are going to read the score! Kindly note, we are going to read and explain only the below parts :-

Bum chikku bum chikku bum cha bum bum bum
Bum chikku bum chikku bum cha bum

This corresponds to the following notes:-

1st line
Bum chik ku bum chik ku bum cha bum bum bum
E-----E----E--G----G----G--F-----F---G----G----G

2nd line
Bum chik ku bum chik ku bum cha bum
E-----E----E--G----G----G--F-----F---G

How to locate this in the notes! See the 1st line, in the middle of the 1st line, you can see he has written the number "2" on top. This bum chikku ends there.

Actually you can see that this bumchikku is 2 lines, as said above. He is writing only the 1st line "Bum chik ku bum chik ku bum cha bum bum bum" and for the 2nd repeat, he is putting the number 2, to indicate this piece has to be sung twice.

there are other complexities, like,
1. the bumchiku in the 2nd repeat is slightly ending different(as you can hear and find out)
2. its 3 parallel notes at a time.

but these things are beyond my explanation :lol: i don't know how to put them in words, and have no clue how they will be comprehended!

(Others:- if you find any blunders in this (100% chance :lol2: ) kindly quote the whole thing and edit the mistake! )

irir123
7th February 2012, 08:10 AM
on repeated hearings, 'vaangum' is the kind of a song IR wud have readily composed for a Rajini film! the throw of words, tune structure is so Rajinish!

venkkiram
7th February 2012, 08:19 AM
@irir... +1 for SPB-Rajini Connection in vaangum. Exactly my thoughts too.

http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?9643-IlayaRaja-s-New-Albums-2012-Dhoni-Mayilu-Prasad&p=808782&viewfull=1#post808782

irir123
7th February 2012, 08:26 AM
venkkiram - yes! and a tune like this with some more embellishments customised to suit Rajini's image in an actual Rajini film would easily make the song a chartbuster!

IR is def not the loser!

skr
7th February 2012, 09:51 AM
SKV ,
Thanks for taking us through the basics of WCM notations. :ty:
Interested to know more , btw what does Adagio mean ?

Bala (Karthik)
7th February 2012, 10:17 AM
Kark yaaru saar neenga! super, welcome to the hub

Looks like quite a few posts to catch up with in this thread....

Gregorysab
7th February 2012, 10:24 AM
Maybe I am getting old, but I thought 'Chinna Kanniley' was a perfect song for what was being conveyed. The rhythm goes along very well with the breeziness of the song.

Suresh,

if you are really getting old, then you probably wouldnt have been impressed by it :-) because as we grow old, we demand lot more complexities in the songs of Raaja (going by history and experience). I felt the song was little too plain - though sweet. Vilayaatta had some emotional depth and we have talked enough on SPB song anyway. This, coming from Raaja, was no great shakes - felt. Which means perhaps I am becoming old. and conversely, if you loved it - it means you are still young. and thats quite wonderful, given that you recently celebrated your birthday :-) Cheers!

Gregorysab
7th February 2012, 10:39 AM
Interesting posts by KarlK. Firstly, welcome to KarlK!

I didnt know Uttam singh was doing the mixing as well. As far as I know, he was an instrumentalist in the bygone era and had been in the troupes of S.D.Burman, Madan Mohan, R.D.Burman etc, when he was a young chap. He even did the arrangements for Naushad's private album Aathwan Sur (he did a good job there). and I thought he was the arranger for Raaja's bombay-based recordings. I could sense Uttam singh's presence in Aur Ek Prem Kahani (Uttam Singh's vocals are also there) and India 24 hours.

But going by what KarlK says, what beats is why does Uttam singh do the recording/mixing when there are other talented people out there. R.D.Burman had excellent team (My wife who has been exploring Raaja since quite some time, asked me: why do 70s/80s recordings of RDBurman and Khaiyyam sound more crisp and clean than Raaja's recordings, though Raaja came later? Ofcourse, there are exceptions such as Agninakshatram, Mouna Raagam, Geetanjali, Sindhu Bhairavi and some more.. but predominantly, most of the raaja songs i get to play for her have poor sound clarity). Was it that things were advanced in Bombay? Were there really no good sound engineers before H.Sridhar, who definitely was a pioneer. In Bombay, people like Daman Sood, Avinash Oak had amazing understanding of sound and did great work, for films and even other albums. Even in 90s, K.J.Singh was/is talented guy who does good recording. Vishal Bharadwaj uses him and even Rahman uses KJ Singh.

It would be interesting to see if Raaja records in ARR's studio (believed to be the most advanced, in India) with his sound engineers such as Sivakumar, Aditya Modi etc, who are doing good job with recordings. Like the suresh of backgroundscore.com rightly said, Raaja needed and still needs a good sound engineer. In that respect, Rahman actually gave equal respect to Sridhar and treated him as an integral part of his team. An interview of Sridhar reveals how ARR and Sridhar together used to discuss a lot about sound engineering and explore new things, to achieve high quality of sound reproduction. If only Raaja had such visionary technician with him, right from late 70s... we wouldnt have been talking this or craving for remastered versions now.

That said, I think recent recordings of Raaja are very good. The 90s batch of Raaja's music was the one that suffered a lot, i think.

KarlK,

Please continue sharing more trivia with us.

raajarasigan
7th February 2012, 10:39 AM
oh.. Thanks Kark for the notes... adikkadi vandhu ponga... :D

Thanks RR too for sharing this :)

karlkalyan
7th February 2012, 11:18 AM
Interesting posts by KarlK. Firstly, welcome to KarlK!

I didnt know Uttam singh was doing the mixing as well. As far as I know, he was an instrumentalist in the bygone era and had been in the troupes of S.D.Burman, Madan Mohan, R.D.Burman etc, when he was a young chap. He even did the arrangements for Naushad's private album Aathwan Sur (he did a good job there). and I thought he was the arranger for Raaja's bombay-based recordings. I could sense Uttam singh's presence in Aur Ek Prem Kahani (Uttam Singh's vocals are also there) and India 24 hours.

It would be interesting to see if Raaja records in ARR's studio (believed to be the most advanced, in India) with his sound engineers .............. If only Raaja had such visionary technician with him, right from late 70s... we wouldnt have been talking this or craving for remastered versions now.

That said, I think recent recordings of Raaja are very good. The 90s batch of Raaja's music was the one that suffered a lot, i think.

KarlK,

Please continue sharing more trivia with us.

Rahman's studios are one of the best facilities in whole of Asia! He has Neve 88RS console. This is the setup available in Studio 1 at Abbey Road Studios, London. This is considered as one of the largest and finest scoring stagea in the world! This is where John Williams normally records with LSO since the seventies. As you can see from the recording videos of John, it can easily accommodate about 100 players plus 100 voices simultaneously! In addition to this, Rahman also has a set up with Euphonix. This equipment has just five installations in India and two of them in Chennai. Harris also has the same setup.

kiru
7th February 2012, 11:26 AM
We have talked about recording quality here before. I see recording quality being a "hit or miss" all the time. For eg. Ninaivellam nithya, thanikattu raaja, geethanjali are awesome recordings (probably not as good as Dhoni). Singaravelan is excellent. pazhassi raaja is good, but too much "delays" (echoes) bothers me. Recent recordings like vaalmiki, kannukkullE etc good inspite of synths. Maybe somebody like KarlK can throw more light.
(BTW, hindi film songs and hindustani have all along had better recording quality. Sometimes, they used to go to Bombay for recordings from Chennai, if I am not mistaken).

Gregorysab
7th February 2012, 11:39 AM
Maybe somebody like KarlK can throw more light.
(BTW, hindi film songs and hindustani have all along had better recording quality. Sometimes, they used to go to Bombay for recordings from Chennai, if I am not mistaken).

true Kiru,

From what I could understand (through reading, interacting and dissecting the music itself), the composers who gave equal priority to recording were Naushad (right from 40s), O.P.Nayyar (he wanted clean sound) and R.D.Burman. Not to say that other composers did not have good recordings, but these composers were kind of game changers, in the sense that they had a say in how they wanted the output. Naushad fought many odds to get the sound he wanted. Even Madan Mohan and S.D.Burman come close. R.D.Burman was a game-changer because he wanted to listen to the sound of each and every instrument in his orchestra. His strengths were percussions, real-life sounds etc and hence he wanted to have them transported clearly on the LPs.

Ilaiyaraaja was also no less, compared to how things were down south. Just that the consistency went for a toss. Ninaivelam Nithya had good clarity but films after that didnt have that. Then again few had and few didnt. There are many albums with good sound clarity, but they again were followed by albums with poor quality. He used to go to Bombay for better quality and he was the only composer down south to do so. So he did give some emphasis to clarity. Just that he couldnt maintain his requirements consistently.

I think H.Sridhar worked with Raaja as sound engineer for some films. Kaalapani i think. I have also seen the tape of Sethu - on which it was printed that the recording was done at Panchathan - ARR's studio. I even wondered how come Raaja recorded at ARR's studio.

KarlK,

Didnt Raaja ever employ KJSingh? or Daman Sood?

Gregorysab
7th February 2012, 11:40 AM
RR,

Can this topic - Recording Quality of Raaja's albums, be a separate thread, since it doesnt exactly fit into "new albums" thread?

Just asking!

karlkalyan
7th February 2012, 11:54 AM
Yes, Bombay has always been ahead in absorbing latest technologies and that is why they consistently maintain the quality. More than that they have very good engineers and most importantly these engineers are given their importance by the MDs, directors and producers.

In fact, when Uttam was doing these final song mixes in the late eighties/early nineties, once I asked him why Raaja's final output does not have the clarity of Hindi songs....he used to give some lame execuses like the recording method in Bombay is different from Chennai bla bla. Obviously he was not telling this in detail to IR otherwise he has no business here in Chennai to mint money, you see.

This is the link for Abbey Road Studios... http://www.abbeyroad.com/Studio/5/Studio-One
These are some of the links for JW scoring at Studio One for Star Wars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q83nXipGfRs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYti9g6AXrc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WsnoVds3wQ&feature=related

The following link for a John Williams live RR session.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Egb-AjK58U&feature=related

in 2002 to commemorate the 20 years of ET release, there was a premiere show in LA. The main feature was the live RR played by John and his symphony orchestra. For the entire film, for all the cues, starting from the Logo, the orchestra played it live.

Shawn Murphy mixed the music on the spot and sent it across to another mixer. This guy mixed the music with the dialogues and effects feed he was getting from the Projection booth and sent the final mix to the audiance.

Unbelievable feat!

San_K
7th February 2012, 11:57 AM
தோனி, மயிலு – இளையராஜாவின் முத்தான ஆறு பாடல்கள் (http://tamilthuli.in/blog/index.php/music/dhoni-mayilu-ilayaraja-songs-review)

RR
7th February 2012, 12:00 PM
Suresh,

if you are really getting old, then you probably wouldnt have been impressed by it :-) because as we grow old, we demand lot more complexities in the songs of Raaja (going by history and experience). I felt the song was little too plain - though sweet. Vilayaatta had some emotional depth and we have talked enough on SPB song anyway. This, coming from Raaja, was no great shakes - felt. Which means perhaps I am becoming old. and conversely, if you loved it - it means you are still young. and thats quite wonderful, given that you recently celebrated your birthday :-) Cheers!
Objection, your honour! Indirectly the defense seems to be implying that I am getting old. I want to bring to your notice that kiru is impressed a lot by the music and he is in my age group, so I am very young.

Just kidding.. excellent post!

RR
7th February 2012, 12:01 PM
RR,

Can this topic - Recording Quality of Raaja's albums, be a separate thread, since it doesnt exactly fit into "new albums" thread?

Just asking!
Exactly.. I was just thinking of creating a child thread. Will do so later today. You guys can continue the discussions..

Gregorysab
7th February 2012, 12:18 PM
KarlK,

Thats interesting! Good to listen to John Williams' videos!

Coudnt anyone recommend a better sound engineer then? I mean, after the emergence of Rahman, Vishal, Shankar-Ehsan-Loy, now sound engineers have more visibility than before right. if people like us can think of some names today, I am sure there must be many names floating in the circuit, inside the industry! Then how come? Unfortunate, that Uttam Singh was employed for recording because he is primarily a violinist and then an arranger. He was not a sound engineer. definitely not as knowledgeable as a H.Sridhar was passionate about the job/subject and always kept abreast of the latest things across the globe, not just India.

kiru
7th February 2012, 01:07 PM
Objection, your honour! Indirectly the defense seems to be implying that I am getting old. I want to bring to your notice that kiru is impressed a lot by the music and he is in my age group, so I am very young.

Just kidding.. excellent post!
RR ..romba kindal pannakkoodAthu.. :-) since aakarsh pulled Suresh's legs too much, I actually wanted to say, even I like chinna kannilE.. I like Dhoni recording wise and mayilu musically ..

Gregorysab
7th February 2012, 01:23 PM
Even i like it guys, because it is not at all bad and is lilting. But then, in Raaja's standard, not bad translates to not good 'enough'.. which means, the longevity of the song will remain a question! On that count, SPB song and Vilayaatta score above Chinna Kannile. :-)

KV
7th February 2012, 03:43 PM
Karlk, IIRC, some of his Kannada work like Geetha and Janma Janmada Anubandha have pretty good sound quality for their time. Were these recorded in B'lore?

SKV, thanks for WCM points :thumbsup:

wizzy
7th February 2012, 05:41 PM
imo Raaja 70s/80s songs were a touch high on treble and were meant to be heard on Vinyls and it suffered a great deal in detailing due to the clumsy digital transfer..I was fortunate enough to listen to Ninnaivellam Nithya/MMKR/Pudhu Pudhu Arthangal/Udhaya Geetham in Vinyl and their CD transfer makes me cringe..Chennai peeps can audition these at Mohan music and form an idea on what we all have been missing on all these fancy Oriental/Agi cd transfers :-(..wrt quality CD transfers Oriental records>>>AGI music.

Sureshs65
7th February 2012, 07:33 PM
Kamal,

As you know, Raja tunes for the situation. It is not a stand alone song for him. In that way, if you go with the lyrics, you can clearly see how wonderfully Raja creates a very idealized world. The situation seems to be that of an elderly parent(s) singing to their kid. Such songs ofcourse don't demand the complexities. So Raja doesn't make it complex. The simplicity is because the whole song is about the simplicity of belief. The belief that your kid is greater than anything else. That emotion comes out very well in this song. It is not a sad or touching emotion that is attempted here. It is sheer joy coupled with delight at looking at the kid. As Rajasaranam always says, "No Raja song is bad if you map it with the situation of the movie" I also hold the same view :D

P_R
7th February 2012, 07:40 PM
SKV :shock: I still did not understand anything. irundhaalum :clap:

Sureshs65
7th February 2012, 08:00 PM
Well, as far as recording goes, I do understand the issues involved. But looking at it from a different angle, you win some you lose some. In the sense that Raja didn't take too much interest in recording. He was more interested in composing. Yes, the packaging may not have been excellent and some impact would have been lost. But the musical ideas are there. So if I were to ask to choose between less number of Raja number with much better recording quality compared to more Raja numbers with lesser quality, I will anyday take the later. This is ofcourse assuming Raja has to be involved in the final recorded output.

V_S
7th February 2012, 09:02 PM
Welcome karlkalyan sir to the hub. Lot of interesting information and details. Thanks for sharing Maestro's staff notations. Definitely it is all greek and latin to me except I could identify the key signatures mentioned for these two songs. Pudhucheri kacheri is in D Major scale as it has C# and F# but he has used some other chords down below, so not sure entirely. Similarly Adho antha nadhiyOram is in A Major scale as it has C#, F# and G#, but again he has used D minor chords later. May be the score is lot compressed only to be understood by his musicians. But as usual, it is a surprise that he even writes the instruments names like Harmonica, basson, xylo-wood and also where the chorus comes and even the laughter. :notworthy:

naarayanan
7th February 2012, 09:52 PM
karl K, if am not mistaken, you have posted in detail in dhool.com sometime earlier. am i right?

K
7th February 2012, 10:46 PM
heard from a cine industry person long time ago(in late 90's), that a sound engineer named "Emy" who worked in "Kaaki chattai" time had good sound sense, but our man had some problems with him and thorathi vittutaar. I remember I saw Emy's name in the movies was in "Roja" titles. any on know about him?

K
7th February 2012, 10:49 PM
Rajaa's albums released in AVM Audio(Thoongatheythambi, Nallavanukku nallavan, Ejaman etc) had good sound quality when compared to others.

San_K
7th February 2012, 10:53 PM
karlkalyan (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/member.php?294-karlkalyan)
, we are happy to have you here. Please post more inside news, we are curious to know :)

San_K
7th February 2012, 10:58 PM
heard from a cine industry person long time ago(in late 90's), that a sound engineer named "Emy" who worked in "Kaaki chattai" time had good sound sense, but our man had some problems with him and thorathi vittutaar. I remember I saw Emy's name in the movies was in "Roja" titles. any on know about him?

ennakku enna kobamna, rendu valarnthuvitta pillaigal irunthum intha kurai nivarthi aagavillai. I see Yuvan too has consistency problem in recording quality unlik ARR or HJ who are well known for sounding quality. Vazhaiyadi Vazhai :(

irir123
8th February 2012, 01:45 AM
'vaangum panathukkum' is a killer track! IR is truely back in form ! what energy, flow and melodic structure!
and SPB - ageless voice!!

all I want now is a modern 'pani vizhum malarvanam' and a 'madai thirandhu' genre songs for Neethane enthan ponvasantham!

p
8th February 2012, 08:07 AM
FYI...

Prasad has a tamil & telugu version too

Tamil track listing :
Naan Petra Selvam-Karthik
Oru Aranmane-Anitha
Neeyum Naanum-Madhu Balakrishnan
We Are Ok-Rahul Nambiar
Anbulla Amma Amma (Bit)-Baby Haripriya

Gregorysab
8th February 2012, 09:51 AM
So if I were to ask to choose between less number of Raja number with much better recording quality compared to more Raja numbers with lesser quality, I will anyday take the later. This is ofcourse assuming Raja has to be involved in the final recorded output.

I think Raaja's efforts for good quality recording would not have resulted in lesser number of Raaja's songs. Both are mutually exclusive things, given the multitasker that he is. It is not either this or that kind of case. both can happen simultaneously, given the fact that he did dish out great songs with great quality simultaneously, like a factory (without letting the no. of songs come down). Just that, the consistency was not there in the recording quality, in my opinion.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
8th February 2012, 10:36 AM
தோனி – நாட் அவுட் - tamilpapaer.net (http://www.tamilpaper.net/?p=5519)

வருடிச்செல்லும் மயிலின் இறகினையொத்த இசையைப்பற்றி ரசித்த சில கணத்திற்குள் இன்னுமொரு கூக்ளி ராஜா சாரிடமிருந்து “தோனி” வழியாக. முதலிலேயே சொல்லிவிடுகிறேன், நீங்கள் ஒரு “நெஞ்சத்தைக் கிள்ளாதே”வையோ “மூடுபனி”யையோ அல்லது ஒரு “முள்ளும் மலரும்” இசையையோ எதிர்பார்த்து இங்கு வந்திருப்பீர்களானால் உங்களை ராஜா இந்தத்தடவை திருப்திப்படுத்த மாட்டார் என்றே சொல்லுவேன். கொஞ்சம் வித்தியாசமாக, கதைக்களனுக்குப் பொருத்தமான இசையாகத்தான் தோன்றுகிறது எனக்கு இந்த “தோனி-நாட் அவுட்”-ன் பாடல்கள் அனைத்தும்.

மொத்தமே நான்கு பாடல்கள். அனைத்தும் ஒவ்வொரு ரகம். ஒன்றோடொன்று கலக்காத Different Genre. ராகதேவனுக்கு படைப்பதில் உள்ள ஆனந்தம் வேறேதிலுமில்லை. எனினும் பாடல்களைக்கேட்டு வாங்குபவருக்கே அதிஉன்னத பாடல்கள் கிடைத்திருக்கின்றன என்பது அவரின் எண்பதுகளில் நிரூபிக்கப்பட்ட ஒன்று. உதாரணத்துக்கு ஸ்ரீதர் படங்களுக்கு ராஜா சார் இசைத்தது, பாலு மகேந்திரா மற்றும் மகேந்திரன் போன்றோரின் படங்களில், “சபரி” தேர்ந்தெடுத்த நெல்லிக்கனி போல அவர்கள் ராஜாவிடமிருந்து வாங்கிய இசை என்றென்றும் ராகதேவன் மற்றும் அந்த இயக்குனர்களின் பெருமையைப் பேசிக்கொண்டுதானிருக்கிறது. அவ்வகையில் பிரகாஷ்ராஜ் நல்ல ரசிகராயிருந்த போதிலும், நல்ல தெரிவாளராக இருக்கிறாரா என்றால் மிஞ்சுவது கொஞ்சம் ஏமாற்றமே!

கிரிக்கெட்டில் தோனி எப்பவுமே ஸிக்ஸர் அடிக்கிறதில்ல. Ones and Twos மற்றும் சில சமயங்களில் Boundry-யுமாக அடிப்பது போலவே ராஜா சாரின் இசை இந்தப்படத்திற்கு. நாமும் கொஞ்சம் காத்திருக்கலாம் படத்தின் பின்னணி இசையை அனுபவிக்க..!

- சின்னப்பயல்

Read complete review in the above link

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
8th February 2012, 11:10 AM
Daanks, KV, skr & P_R, skr, adagio, moderato & allegro are basically the speed/temp of the music, meaning slow,medium and fast respectively

SKV :shock: I still did not understand anything.my mistake onlee :( eluthum bothe therinjuthu! but one thing leads to another :wink: ithai vida better aa panna enakku oru inspiration a ithai eduthukkuren! (though me not expert, interested to share the basics!)

kameshratnam
8th February 2012, 11:22 AM
Message to all ILAYARAAJA FANS across the globe: This is an interview which he has given in a telugu tv channel last week: Recent one. thanks to Kamal Aakarsh Vishnubhotla

Q1: Do you have plans to publish your scoresheets for the benefit of people who want to play your music in orchestras because it is a bundle of treasure?
Answer: why should I do it? you should do it. Will you do it?

Q2: You had plans to open a music school, what happened?
Answer: I am unable to get funds. Who will come forward? Will you fund it? tell me, are you ready? (the journo's face turned pale, because raaja was asking her repeatedly)

Q3: Don't you want to release your previous songs in remastered versions, in good quality so that we all can enjoy them?
Answer: why should I do that? things of past and things of past. why should I do that thing again today, when I can give something new?

Can anyone give me INR 1 crore? I will go to him and ask him to release "Moods of Ilayaraaja" which has been kept unreleased for the past 10-12 years and many more instrumental albums which he has done but not released?

Gregorysab
8th February 2012, 11:31 AM
That interview video was posted on this forum Kamesh!

Gregorysab
8th February 2012, 11:34 AM
What is Moods of Ilaiyaraaja? An instrumental album? did he really do many more instrumental albums?

Then agimusic can try right!

kameshratnam
8th February 2012, 01:08 PM
What is Moods of Ilaiyaraaja? An instrumental album? did he really do many more instrumental albums?

Then agimusic can try right!

Yes, It is an instrumental album. He has not released it due to many reasons

Gregorysab
8th February 2012, 01:30 PM
Is it a standalone instrumental album, like HTNI & NBW or is it a collection of BGMs like Music Messiah?

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
8th February 2012, 05:03 PM
Q2: You had plans to open a music school, what happened?
Answer: I am unable to get funds. Who will come forward? Will you fund it? tell me, are you ready? (the journo's face turned pale, because raaja was asking her repeatedly)

THe initial plan was announced with Mohanbabu, the place was Tirupati AP. now this question too is from Telugu channel. Manavaadus :clap: Let alone constructing this in TN, our damned reporters won't even ask this question. Instead, ethai kettaa vambu news ezhuthalaamo, athai marakkaama keppaanga! Shameful, tasteless guys

Sureshs65
8th February 2012, 07:44 PM
SKV,

But the master is very clear. He is not a teacher, his heart is not in teaching. He wants to compose and compose and compose. So the more movies he does the more gems we will get.

karlkalyan
8th February 2012, 07:51 PM

yes, Emy was a great guy. In Prasad Deleuxe, there was SP Ramanathan and Emy was also there with him. Later on when both of them left, there was Pandurangan.

Emy now is a very busy consultant advising and executing studio setup for corporates and individuals. In fact, he was the one who set up the AM studios for ARR.

Very knowledgeable and efficient guy. And also very independent guy. He will go for his lunch break and come back after a beer. Raaja knows that and can only chide him, that is all. Nothing else. They were that close.

In fact, Puru is another guy who still maintains the same level with Raja. Still today he will address him only as Raja and nothing else.

They will have rehearsal run and suddenly Raaja will stop and say "Puru, antha violin fourth bar la..." Puru will complete it with " Raja, you want fourth bar la , pause, and again two bars right? appo next flute bit la idikkum.......so I will keep it that way and cut at 3 ok Raja?

Their sync so perfect, during rehearsal, if Raja opens his mouth, then Puru will know what is it for.....?

Gregorysab
8th February 2012, 09:14 PM
SKV,

But the master is very clear. He is not a teacher, his heart is not in teaching. He wants to compose and compose and compose. So the more movies he does the more gems we will get.

Exactly! I dont mind if he doesnt teach. A great composer need not be a great teacher. Can be. cannot be. we never know. At this point in life, he is better off composing instead of trying new things such as teaching which is a different ball-game altogether.

What I felt about the interview is that - there is no straight answer to anything :-). That was the immediate thought in my mind. A friend of mine, in the US, who is also a great fan of raaja, called me after watching that video on youtube and laughed a lot, saying (let me write it in telugu): "asalu dhenikeee sarigggaa straightgaa cheppadenti raa! annitikee vankaragaa thirigi reverse questions ae aduguthaadu kaanee.. dhenikee straightgaa cheppadu ento.. aayana best compose chesthoo undatame raa.. ivannee aayanatho kaavu".
I laughed, because i also felt exactly the same.
Anyway, he is made for music.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
8th February 2012, 10:31 PM
I don't think he dislikes teaching, or sharing his knowledge with younger generation(though it needs a qualification to learn from him). otherwise why at 1st place, whud he announce that music university in Tirupathi with Mohanbabu? I guess the expected funds did not happen. He cites the same funding issue for release of the album "Moods of illayaraja". Remember it took quite some time for him to get funds for thiruvaasagam album, till Tamil Mayyam came to fund that.

Remember some TN reporter asked him why he chose Tirupati, instead of Chennai/TN for the Music univ (mavane ithai ellaam vakkanayaa keLunga) and Raja responded saying " Inge thaan yaarukkum (isai mela) akkarai illaye?!"

The telugu interview proves that even he is keen in his scores getting published. But who will do it? Isn't it a monstrous job to digitize the whole content right? And i guess for many songs the score needs to be written from scratch! Someone with Crores of money, and same amount of Musical Interest, and a great heart to just spend away that money(assuming no returns!) is needed for that

baroque
9th February 2012, 03:05 AM
Can anyone give me INR 1 crore? I will go to him and ask him to release "Moods of Ilayaraaja" which has been kept unreleased for the past 10-12 years and many more instrumental albums which he has done but not released?

Can't he go to a label , make a deal where they invest, release, promote their releases, PR etc..? :roll:
T series, Saregama etc... nnu neraiya peru erukkangale!
Adhellam mudiyaadhaa?

sangeet natak akademi, AIR,akashvani archive releases, $5, in india one CD Rs 300 kedaikkaradhu.

layman10
9th February 2012, 03:21 AM
He cites the same funding issue for release of the album "Moods of illayaraja".

Did he cite? It did not appear so from the post.

thumburu
9th February 2012, 08:01 PM
Heard Doni from raaga.
“ThAvi thAvi” with those lush ludes is my pick from Dhoni. The prelude and interludes sweep me off my feet and perch me atop silvery clouds. As Jaiganes observed, Raja singing the lines “viLaiyAdum maidhAnam angu BalamAi karakOsham”, seems to be the defining moment for the film itself. Interesting lyrics by Na.Mu. I can say this is a modern day version of the choir type “kAdhal Oviyam pAdum kAviyam” of AlaigaL Oyvadhillai”
Next in my order would be “vAngum panathukku” mainly for the guitar backing and groovy arrangements. Though SPB sings in his inimitable, nonchalant style, it looks like Raja had so much confidence in SPB that he decided to go easy in the tune department. Yes, the tune could be better and for the uninitiated, it could be boring
I have honestly no complaints about the smooth flowing “viLaiyAttA padakOtti”, esp with evocative singing by Shreya and HH. Is Shreya’s voice autotuned? HH made few slips in the pronounciation. The song is quite endearing with melody oozing violins and flute pieces. But why is the tune so common place? Though reminding of “onna vida”, it has that ARR and GVP[ veyilodu viLaiyAdi”] feel . These guys have done dime a dozen numbers with this kind of shankarabharanam scale . Iam not fond of that auto tuned opening humming. This perfect song misses the "wow" factor
5. Chinna kannile – Not impressive and it measures ONLY upto Vidhyassagar’s standard . Broken lined tune in the pallavi being the main culprit despite Shreya and Naresh doing a good job of singing.

thumburu
9th February 2012, 08:22 PM
venkkiram - yes! and a tune like this with some more embellishments customised to suit Rajini's image in an actual Rajini film would easily make the song a chartbuster!

IR is def not the loser!

- Well said and I agree that VVP would have suited Rajini

V_S
10th February 2012, 06:00 AM
Back to mayilu again. Very appealing soundtrack. ஒவ்வொரு பாடலும் ரத்னம். Started liking and loving NammalOda Paattuthaan very much. The transformation of female chorus when this line is underway 'sendhoora pottu maari ippo sticker aagi pocchu, manja poosum ponnunga ippo cream'a thEdi pochchu' is fantastic and how that chorus joins the pallavi seamlessly is something I am enjoying every time. The tune, orchestration, arrangements, mood, singing, lyrics are all perfect in this soundtrack.

When we were kids, when our parents buys us ice cream or sweet, even though we know we want to taste and complete them immediately, we will have a feeling that it will be over soon before our brothers/sisters/cousins finishes. We will fear we will not get this again soon, so we will delay in our eating, by enjoying each and every drop of it. Similarly, I become a kid when listening to this soundtrack. Wanted to enjoy every bit of it by not consuming everything at a time. Beautiful soundtrack and easily the best so far. Another biased liking for this one is because of the folk elements, which I always love. Worth waiting for 3 years for this one and a great surprise of this year!

MumbaiRamki
10th February 2012, 07:37 AM
Booked for Morning show for dhoni .. eagerly waiting :)

V_S
10th February 2012, 08:25 AM
MR,
Please post your views on the movie, especially on the music.

VinodKumar's
10th February 2012, 11:57 AM
Movie released here. I did not expect this... naalaiku varaikum Nanban oduna oruvaati polamnu paatha atha thookitu naalaiku Dhoni poduraanga. Naaliku poira vendiyathu thaan.

Plum
10th February 2012, 12:22 PM
Vinod - overseas territoryla "Dhoni" aaduRadhai pAkka pORInga...oNNum sagunam sariyillai :)

krish244
10th February 2012, 12:38 PM
Some net reviews:

http://truthdive.com/2012/02/09/dhoni-movie-review.html

"...The film benefits from Ilayaraja’s inspiring background score which lifts the film. The special song with Prabhu Deva is cute and it goes with the narrative..."

http://entertainment.oneindia.in/telugu/reviews/2012/dhoni-movie-review-090212.html

"...Illayaraja’s background score elevated the scenes while his songs are melodious and make the audiences humming even after the song gets over..."

IndiaGlitz tamil version review:

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/review/15184.html

"...Giving life to 'Dhoni' is Ilayaraja. His meaningful background score provides right pep to the proceedings. It strikes our soul instantly. The songs too bear a typical Ilayaraja stamp evoking right emotions in the serious script..."

IndiaGlitz telugu version review:

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/telugu/review/15107.html

"...If lines like these give relief, the music and background score (Maestro Illayaraja) is refreshing. The situations of the two songs in first half (the Prabhu Deva number and the song after the daughter attains puberty) are among the most brilliant moments of the film..."

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
10th February 2012, 12:43 PM
Some more reviews:

http://www.supergoodmovies.com/39084/kollywood/dhoni-movie-review-movie-review-details

"...Ilayaraja's background score give enough fil;ip to the emotional encounters. He has proved that he still the raja..."

http://www.supergoodmovies.com/39070/tollywood/dhoni-review-prakash-raj-movie-movie-review-details

"...Ilayaraja’s background score is an asset. Songs are in sync with the mood of the film..."

thanks,

Krishnan

MumbaiRamki
10th February 2012, 05:11 PM
Booked for Morning show for dhoni .. eagerly waiting :)

DHONI - One more maayakannadi - a director/producer who went to other MDs came to illayaraja which is close to his heart and gives a half baked film. Its only Raaja that shines consistently. detailed reviews later ....

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
10th February 2012, 05:26 PM
http://www.sify.com/movies/tamil/review.php?id=14991365&ctid=5&cid=2429

The film benefits from Ilayaraja’s inspiring background score which lifts the film. :D

The special song with Prabhu Deva is cute and it goes with the narrative. :lol2:

SoftSword
10th February 2012, 05:28 PM
as expected.. atleast half of ASK?

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
10th February 2012, 05:46 PM
dhoni, trailor e paakka mudiyala, avlo melo drama, and giving ALL clues of story. Whereas ASK had many many enjoyable moments. Sokku, Paatu, bgm, ippa kooda okkaantha full aa paappen :D Nallaa odi irukkavendiya padam ASK.

SoftSword
10th February 2012, 05:51 PM
adhaan half of'nu kaetaen :)

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
10th February 2012, 05:58 PM
actually quarter aa thaan irukka chance irukku! that could be probably only for BGM.

See review here https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=251522734922718&id=174537659287893

SoftSword
10th February 2012, 06:00 PM
friday evening sarakku moodku vandhuteenga pola...
enjoy...

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
10th February 2012, 06:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK1aiigGTYc&feature=youtu.be

MumbaiRamki
10th February 2012, 06:08 PM
actually quarter aa thaan irukka chance irukku! that could be probably only for BGM.

See review here https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=251522734922718&id=174537659287893

I second - movie is plain bad.

SoftSword
10th February 2012, 06:14 PM
prakash raj kitta konjam sarakku irukkumnu nenachen...

Plum
10th February 2012, 06:24 PM
I second Sakala. Trailers made it obvious that this will be an outdated melodrama - remake of a Marathi movie by Mahesh Manjrekar, to boot. There are some lovely marathi movies made these days - but none of them are by Mahesh Manjrekar :)

SoftSword
10th February 2012, 06:28 PM
manjrekar'nu peru vechale ipdithaan.

Plum
10th February 2012, 06:42 PM
Maybe - Vijay Tendulkar was a doyen playwright in Marathi theatre. Perhaps, there's a lot in the name...

Fliflo
10th February 2012, 07:55 PM
http://www.rediff.com/movies/review/south-review-dhoni-is-definitely-worth-a-watch/20120210.htm

3* from rediff is unusal and good.

Ilaiyaraja's music is gentle and unobtrusive, and although it doesn't rise to great heights, Vaangum Panathukkum is a nice touch (with Prabhudeva in a cameo).

http://truthdive.com/2012/02/09/dhoni-movie-review.html

The film benefits from Ilayaraja’s inspiring background score which lifts the film. The special song with Prabhu Deva is cute and it goes with the narrative

raja_fan
10th February 2012, 10:39 PM
I read a review which says "...in the climax, Prakash Raj meets the Chief Minister and gives a long lecture.."

Enough !! You too Prakash Raj ?
When will the Tamil Cinema come out of this idiocity of "face to face with the Chief minister in the climax" ???

And Prakash Raj's another mistake was to narrate the entire story in the trailer itself...How will it evoke the interest to watch the full film ?

SoftSword
10th February 2012, 10:44 PM
face to face with cm?
verra endha padatthula vandhadhu??

and prakashraj direction...
though it was reported to be average, is there any glimpses of directors touch?
apdi edhanum irundhaa innoru chance tharalaam....

raja_fan
10th February 2012, 11:07 PM
SoftSword,

Meeting a CM is very easy in Tamil Cinema..

For example, Valli, Ramana, Baba etc..

Ok..by my comment, I meant it is a over beaten concept in Tamil cinema for the hero to catch the whole media attention with all cameras of TV channels focussing on him...Sorrounded by police, he will give a long lecture which will be aired live !

Ada pongappaa...aluththu pochu. :(

SoftSword
10th February 2012, 11:09 PM
oh adhunaa... agreeabul.

raja_fan
10th February 2012, 11:09 PM
Also add "Desiya Geetham". That went to the level of kidnapping a CM !!

nammalaala namma area councilor-a kooda meet panna mudiyalai :-)

SoftSword
10th February 2012, 11:17 PM
cm'na cheap minister'nu nenakkiraanga pola.

Sureshs65
11th February 2012, 10:27 AM
prakash raj kitta konjam sarakku irukkumnu nenachen...

Konjam illa. Nerayave irukkum. aana avar namakku kodukkamaataar. Thaniyaadhaan kudippaaru :lol: (My mokkai for the day)

K
12th February 2012, 01:18 PM
was listening to Thaavi thaavi-Dhoni and Vanthaley alli poo- Kansivanthaal man sivakkum back to back, Wow Enna voice!, Intha manushan kuralukku vayase aagatha? try listening both the songs back to back and feel the magic of his music.

skr
12th February 2012, 04:22 PM
K ,
Just reading your post of listening to Thaavi Thaavi and Vandhaale Allipoo gives me pularipps.
I will now experience it :)

K
13th February 2012, 01:09 AM
http://truetamilans.blogspot.in/2012/02/blog-post_10.html
RajMena said...
பிரகாஷ் ராஜுக்கு இணையான உழைப்பு இளையராஜாவுடையது. ரொம்ப நாளைக்குப் பிறகு இந்த மாதிரி பாடல்களை, பின்னணி இசையை தமிழ் சினிமாவில் கேட்க முடிந்தது. எந்தப் பாடலுமே உறுத்தவில்லை. வெகு இயல்பாக படத்தோடு இயைந்த காட்சிகளாகவே கடந்து போகின்றன.

பாடல்களுக்கான சூழல்களைப் பாருங்கள்…

பொருளாதார கஷ்டம். ஆனால் பருவம் காத்திருக்குமா… தாயில்லாத மகள் வயசுக்கு வந்துவிடுகிறாள். தந்தைக்கு அவசரமாக தகவல் போகிறது பக்கத்து வீட்டிலிருந்து. விஷயம் தெரியாமல் அரக்கப் பரக்க வரும் அப்பாவுக்கு விஷயத்தைச் சொல்கிறார்கள். பெரும் தவிப்பு, கவலை, பாசத்துடன் கதவோரமாய் எட்டிப் பார்க்கிறார்… வெள்ளந்தியான ஒரு பூ மாதிரி உட்கார்ந்திருக்கும் மகள் மீது அவர் பார்வை பதிய… ஒரு இசைமேகம் மெதுவாக பொழிய ஆரம்பிக்கிறது… மளுக்கென்று கண்ணீர் எட்டிப் பார்க்கிறது நம் கண்களில்… அதுவே ‘வெளையாட்டா படகோட்டி…’ என பருவமடைந்த மகளுக்கான தாலாட்டாய் நீள்கிறது. ராஜாவின் மிகச் சிறந்த பாடல்களில் நிச்சயம் இதற்கும் இடமுண்டு!

நினைவின்றி வீல்சேரில் மகன்… அய்யோ மகனைப் புரிந்து கொள்ளாமல் அடித்துவிட்டோமே என்ற ஆற்றாமை… காயப்பட்ட ஒரு நெஞ்சுக்கு ஆறுதலாய்… ‘தாவித் தாவி போகும் மேகம்…’ என இசைஞானி பாட, மனம் எல்லையற்ற பரவசத்தில் தளும்புகிறது.

இசையிலிருந்து எந்தக் காட்சியையும் பிரித்துப்பார்க்க முடியாத அளவு அப்படி நெய்திருக்கிறார் பின்னணி இசையை. படிக்க மறுத்த மகனை திட்டும்போது வேக வேகமாக உச்சத்துக்குப்போகும் இசை, அவன் அடிபட்டு மருத்துவமனையில் கிடக்கும்போது, கதறுகிறது… கண்ணீர் வடிக்கிறது. இந்த காட்சிகளில் ஒரு சின்ன வார்த்தை கூட கிடையாது. இயக்குநர், வசனகர்த்தா என அத்தனை பேரையும் ‘கொஞ்சம் சும்மா இருங்க’ என சொல்லிவிட்டு இசை ஆட்சி செய்கிறது!

2012-ம் ஆண்டின் துவக்கம் மிக மிக அருமையாய் அமைந்திருக்கிறது தமிழ் சினிமா இசைக்கு

சனி, பிப்ரவரி 11, 2012 மதியம் 3:33:00
உண்மைத்தமிழன் said...

Read more: http://truetamilans.blogspot.com/2012/02/blog-post_10.html#ixzz1mCLwT0tv

Fliflo
13th February 2012, 04:36 AM
Few more reviews

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/tamil-review-dhoni--is-an-entertaining-film/229618-8-68.html

The veteran musician gives life to the script with his songs and background score

http://entertainment.oneindia.in/telugu/reviews/2012/dhoni-movie-review-090212.html

Illayaraja’s background score elevated the scenes while his songs are melodious and make the audiences humming even after the song gets over

krish244
15th February 2012, 11:40 AM
Deccan chronicle reporting that IR is composer for NEPV. Romba late pickup :)

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/channels/showbiz/kollywood/rahman-out-ilayaraja-168

"...Very few know that Gautham is an ardent fan of Ilayaraja and when he started his production Azhagarsamiyin Kuthirai, he has gone on record to DC that ‘it was the Ilayaraja factor that was a compelling point to produce the film’. ASK changed hands later, which is a different story.

Now, coming back to Neethane…, the title takes its name from the first line of one of Raja's popular songs from Ninaivellam Nithya.

To be made in Telugu and Hindi as well, Neethane… has Jiiva playing the lead in Tamil, Nani in Tollywood and Adhitya Roy Kapoor (Assi Nabey Poore Sau) in B’town with the filmmaker’s latest muse Samantha playing the female lead in all three languages..."

"...Though Gautham has not officially made an announcement about maestro Ilayaraja’s addition to the romantic trilingual, Jiiva has confirmed it in an interview."

Ayya, teaser'e vandhuchuyya with IR's name !

Thamarai pens lyrics for NEPV (from behindwoods):

http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news-1/feb-12-02/ilaiyaraja-thamarai-14-02-12.html

"...it will also have lyricist Thamarai joining hands with Ilaiyaraaja for the first time. The maestro is currently busy composing for the film in his recording studio at home. Thamarai, who is penning the lyrics and Gautham are with him to give their own creative inputs. The trio are enjoying themselves thoroughly.

Ilaiyaraaja, who is known for the record pace at which he composes tunes, has already finished three songs. Gautham and Thamarai were bowled over and can't wait to hear the remaining four songs. We can't wait either. Sources say that 65 per cent of the film is complete and the rest will be filmed in Chennai and USA."

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
15th February 2012, 05:24 PM
THE HINDU review of DHONI:

http://www.thehindu.com/arts/cinema/article2895791.ece

"...Ilayaraja's music is very soothing and makes a thumping mark. The songs gel well with the movie and it is heartening to listen to meaningful lyrics..."

thanks,

Krishnan

V_S
15th February 2012, 09:48 PM
I have never heard such a wonderful imagination about the whole middle-class population in recent times from any lyricist. Not just in this song, but I can hear some brilliant lines in every song of Dhoni. Na. Muthukumar has raised enormously in me through these songs in Dhoni. A Big salute to him. :notworthy: :notworthy:

For the benefit of those who don't understandThamizh, I am translating what he means, please correct me if it is not close enough
சந்திரனும் இருக்கு நட்சத்திரம் இருக்கு
எண்ணி எண்ணி பாரு அது வெள்ளி பணம் நமக்கு
(There is moon and stars in the sky. Count those as these are the only silver coins for us (middle-class))

தண்டவாளம் நடுவே பூத்த பூவப்போல
சோகத்திலும் சிரிப்போம் சோதனையில் முளைப்போம்
அடுத்த நாளை அடுத்த நாளாய் பார்க்கலாம்
(Like the flower which blossom in between the railway tracks (knowing its location and its end), we will also smile in-spite of all the worries and we will come out and grow even every time we are left with sadness)
(Let us approach our next day only the next day)....Brilliant!

Not just the lines are brilliant, it is also brilliantly placed! :thumbsup:

app_engine
15th February 2012, 10:07 PM
ILet us approach our next day only the next day)....Brilliant!

Not just the lines are brilliant, it is also brilliantly placed! :thumbsup:

Arvaththai kiLaRi vitteerkaL sArE (thought borrowed from 'giri prabhAshaNam'), I need to listen to this album urgently :-)

skr
15th February 2012, 10:11 PM
V_S
Nice to know you finally started listening to Dhoni :).

App
Seekaram kelunga Sare , you are missing out. When the great man sings Thaavi Thaavi , it just pierces your heart.

V_S
15th February 2012, 10:22 PM
Thanks App and skr. :smile: Yes saare, seekiraama kELunga, you will be more than happy and delighted. If the lyrics on its own carries the beauty, imagine how it would in SPB's voice with his clear cut diction. On top of it Maestro takes the tune really really slow (but that doesn't mean the tune is not interesting, it adds more beauty in fact) so that we hear every bit of it clearly and no chance of missing the beautiful lyrics and singing. That's how it should be composed, no hurry business there. Three cheers! A composition miles ahead of his contemporaries!

San_K
16th February 2012, 12:48 AM
Set your phone ringtones with the latest :)

Ring tones from Nee thane en pon vasantham trailor music (http://tamilthuli.in/blog/index.php/music/ilayaraja-gowtham-menan-neethane-en-pon-vasantham-trailer-rington)

(http://Ring tones from Nee thane en pon vasantham trailor music)

Divine22
17th February 2012, 07:38 AM
Thank You San_K :D

krish244
19th February 2012, 10:10 PM
Long time back there was a news about IR's involvement in "THE REAL SALUTE" - short film, enacted by Kiran Bedi. Some youtube videos (making and the actual video (both tamil and hindi versions)). Not sure if it was posted before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYNYwv4EVjI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0uj93Vz2uk&feature=related

thanks,

Krishnan

KV
20th February 2012, 11:53 AM
Dhoni - wow, what a lovely score! :clap:. The opening title score's, though minimalist (just keys) is very interestingly done. Many of the emotional sequences are beautifully highlighted by the man's work. Though the movie as a whole is a dud, the usage and picturization of songs (vaangum panathukkum, SG's vilayata padagotti and thaavi thaavi) are very well done; something that happens very seldom to Raaja's songs.

raajarasigan
20th February 2012, 12:01 PM
Set your phone ringtones with the latest :)

Ring tones from Nee thane en pon vasantham trailor music (http://tamilthuli.in/blog/index.php/music/ilayaraja-gowtham-menan-neethane-en-pon-vasantham-trailer-rington)Sooperappu!!! :D

Plum
23rd February 2012, 09:50 PM
CAn someone give me the Dhoni Audio release link? i yam late pickup

SoftSword
23rd February 2012, 09:55 PM
such a slow over rate for dhoni...

Devaraagam
25th February 2012, 01:30 AM
Today I got a DVD of Sneghaveedu. Extrodinary and lot of lengthy BGMs are there in the 2nd half of the movie. do not miss it

ravinat
29th February 2012, 09:31 PM
Hi

I have been collecting music for a long time. Not only do I collect music like most collectors, I spend a lot of time in isolating music that appeals to me. With Raja, I have been doing this and create my own favorites. Recently, I noticed that my top Raja list went to over 1,500 songs. This covers all languages, all moods. I know that folks who live in Chennai and other major TN cities do enjoy FM broadcasts that play Raja's old 1980s tracks. I was imagining myself being there and that would not satisfy me. It not only misses out his work beyond the 80s, but also his work in other languages.

I decided to create my own specialized playlist for the iPod that would span all decades and all languages. The first of this playlist was ' Raja - Peace'. This requires the collection to be playable when you want melody, solace. No loud horns, no high octave violins, no severe drumming. A number of my favorites get chopped due to these criteria. I ended up with roughly 160 tracks, that deliver the criteria that I am talking about.

I do not know of any websites that would play such a collection. Nor do I know of any radio station that would do it. I am sharing this list here so that some of the members can take it to a public broadcasting website/radio channel. I know that we all do not share the same taste and you may find some misses. Here is my collection:

Ser# Track Language Decade
1 Ade Neevu Telugu 1980s
2 Amruthamayi Abhayamai Malayalam 2010s
3 Amudhe Thamizhe Tamil 1980s
4 Anbe Vaa Tamil 1990s
5 Azhage Unnai Tamil 1970s
6 Azhge Azhaku Tamil 1980s
7 Chinna Thaayaval Tamil 1990s
8 Chinnan chiru annakili Tamil 1990s
9 Deva sangeetham Malayalam 1990s
10 Edeya Baagilu Kannada 2000s
11 Elangaathu_1 Tamil 2000s
12 Elavenil Idhu Vaigaasi Tamil 2000s
13 Ellorum Sollum Paatu Tamil 1990s
14 En Usuru Ennai Vittu Tamil 2010s
15 En Vaazhvile Tamil 1980s
16 Endhan Kannil Tamil 1980s
17 Engiruntho Alaikkum - Lata Tamil 1980s
18 Enidhu Enidhu Kannada 2000s
19 Enna Saththam Tamil 1980s
20 Ennai thodarnthathu Tamil 1980s
21 EnnuiLe Engo Etho Tamil 1970s
22 Ennullae Ennullae Pala Minnal Ezhum Neram Tamil 1990s
23 Enthu Paranjalum Malayalam 2000s
24 Ghanashyama Malayalam 2000s
25 Guru Charanam Malayalam 1990s
26 Indha pachai kili Tamil 1980s
27 Innarul tharum Annapurani Tamil 1990s
28 Ithu Oru Pon Malai Tamil 1980s
29 Kaanakkuyile Kannurakkam Poo Tamil 1990s
30 Kaatrinile Varum Geetham Tamil 1970s
31 Kaatril Varum Geethame Tamil 2000s
32 Kadal_Kattin_F Malayalam 1980s
33 Kadhal Oviyam Tamil 1980s
34 Kai Veenaiyai Tamil 1990s
35 Kalai Neera Tamil 1980s
36 Kalai Thendral Tamil 1980s
37 Kalkandam Chundil Malayalam 1980s
38 Kalyaana Thenila Tamil 1990s
39 Kalyana Maalai Tamil 1980s
40 Kamalam Paatha Kamalam Tamil 1990s
41 Kanavil Midhakkum Tamil 1980s
42 Kanne Kalaimaane Tamil 1980s
43 Kanneer thuli Tamil 1980s
44 Kannil Paarvai Tamil 2000s
45 Kathalin Dheepam Tamil 1980s
46 Kaviyam Tamil 1980s
47 Keladi Kannmani Tamil 1980s
48 Kodai Kaala Kaatre Tamil 1980s
49 Konalo Sanna Jajimalli Telugu 1990s
50 Kunnathae Konnakyum Malayalam 2000s
51 Maalayil Yaaro Manadodu Tamil 1980s
52 Malayoram Veesum Kaatru Tamil 1990s
53 Manamagale Manamagale Tamil 1990s
54 Mandhiram Idhu Tamil 1990s
55 Manjolum Raatri Malayalam 1990s
56 Mandram Vandha Tamil 1980s
57 Mauni Naanu Kannada 2000s
58 Mazhai Varuthu Tamil 1990s
59 Melle Oorndhu Oorndhu Tamil 2000s
60 Melleyonnu Malayalam 2000s
61 Metti Oli Kaatrodu Tamil 1980s
62 Minnaaram Malayalam 1990s
63 Mouna ragam manaveenai Tamil 1990s
64 Muthu Muthu Tamil 1990s
65 Naanaaga Naanillai Tamil 1980s
66 Nalam Vaazha Tamil 1990s
67 Nathiyil aadum Tamil 1980s
68 Nee partha Tamil 2000s
69 Nee Thoongum Tamil 2000s
70 Neela Kuyile Tamil 1980s
71 Nilaave Vaa Tamil 1980s
72 Nilave Mugam Kaatu Tamil 1990s
73 Nilave Nee Varavendum Tamil 1990s
74 Nilavu Thoongum Neram Tamil 1980s
75 Ninnai Saranadainthen Tamil 2000s
76 Niram Prithu Tamil 1990s
77 O Unnala Tamil 1990s
78 Oh butterfly Tamil 1990s
79 Oh Nenjame Tamil 1980s
80 Oorellam Un Paattuthaan Tamil 1990s
81 Oru Devathai Vanthathu Tamil 1980s
82 Oru Naal Oru Kanavu Tamil 2000s
83 Oru Naal Unnodu Tamil 1970s
84 Oru Raagam Paadalodu Tamil 1990s
85 Oru Ragam Tharatha Tamil 1990s
86 Oru Vaanavil Tamil 1970s
87 Paadoo Sakhi Malayalam 1980s
88 Pachamalai Poovu Tamil 1990s
89 Paruvame Tamil 1980s
90 Poguthe Poguthe Tamil 1980s
91 Pon Veliyile Malayalam 1990s
92 Ponnil Vaanam Pottathu Tamil 1990s
93 Poo Mudithu Tamil 1980s
94 Poomalai Vangi vanthaen Tamil 1980s
95 Poon kattinodu Malayalam 1980s
96 Poongathavae Thaazh thiravaai Tamil 1980s
97 Poonkatrile Kalai Podhu Tamil 1990s
98 Poonthendral Kaatre Vaa Tamil 1980s
99 Poovay Virinju Malayalam 1990s
100 Poovile Medai Naan Tamil 1980s
101 Pottu vaitha Tamil 1980s
102 Poovil Vandu Tamil 1980s
103 Pudhucheri Kacheri_sad Tamil 1990s
104 Putham Pudhu Kalai Tamil 1980s
105 Raathiriyil Poothirukkum Tamil 1980s
106 Raghavane Ramana Tamil 1980s
107 Rasathi Rasathi Tamil 1990s
108 Rasati Unnai Tamil 1980s
109 Roja Ondru Mutham Tamil 1980s
110 Sangeetha gnanamu Tamil 1990s
111 Saranam Bhava Tamil 1990s
112 Sempoove Tamil 1990s
113 Senthazhum Tamil 1990s
114 Shwasathin Thaalam Malayalam 2000s
115 Sihimuthu Needi Telugu 1980s
116 Sollaayoh Vaai Thiranthu Tamil 1990s
117 Sri Rama Lera Telugu 2010s
118 Sri Ranga Ranga Tamil 1990s
119 Swapnangal Kannezhuthiya Malayalam 2000s
120 Thaalatuthe Tamil 1970s
121 Thaavi Thaavi Pogum Tamil 2010s
122 Thalaiyai Kunium Tamil 1980s
123 Thanal Virikkan Malayalam 1980s
124 Thanga nilavukkul Tamil 1980s
125 Tharaivaramal Tamil 1990s
126 Thendral Vanthu Ennai Thodum Tamil 1980s
127 Thendral Vanthu Theendum Tamil 1990s
128 Thene Senthene Tamil 1990s
129 Thene Thenpaandi Tamil 1980s
130 Thoongatha Vizhikal Tamil 1980s
131 Thoorathil Naan Tamil 1980s
132 Thukkamenna Thuyaramenna Tamil 2010s
133 Un Parvaiyil Tamil 1980s
134 Unnai Ethir Paarthaen Tamil 1990s
135 Unnai Naan Paarkaiyil Tamil 1990s
136 Unnai Nennaichen Tamil 1980s
137 Unnai Padatha Tamil 1990s
138 Unnaiyum Ennaiyum Tamil 1980s
139 Uravenum Tamil 1980s
140 Uravugal Thodar Kathai Tamil 1970s
141 Vaa Vaa Anpe Anpe Tamil 1980s
142 Vaalittezhuthiya Malayalam 1980s
143 Vaana Malai Tamil 1990s
144 Vanakuyile Kuyi tharum Tamil 2000s
145 Vandhadhe Tamil 1990s
146 Varna vrindhavanam Malayalam 1990s
147 Vasantha Kaala Kolangal Tamil 1980s
148 Vedham Anuvulu Telugu 1980s
149 Vedham Nee Tamil 1980s
150 Veene Veene Malayalam 1980s
151 Vellai Pura Ondru Tamil 1980s
152 Velli Nilave Velli Nilave Tamil 1990s
153 Vennilavil Malligaiyil Tamil 1980s
154 Vetti Veru Vaasam Tamil 1980s
155 Virahamay Malayalam 1990s
156 Vizhiye Vilakkondru Tamil 1980s
157 Yamunai Aatrile Ira Katrilae Tamil 1990s
158 Yedhedho Yennam Tamil 1980s
159 Yenge Yen Jeevane Tamil 1980s

Some of you may not know the film name for some tracks. Send me emails, and I will try and clarify.

Cheers

Ravi Natarajan

http://geniusraja.blogspot.com

V_S
3rd March 2012, 08:43 AM
Ravi,
That was great list and I can see a lot of hard work went inside, as you have listened to every song and noted it meticulously for the melody and mood accompanied with only certain instruments. As jaiganes mentioned, it is not an easy task to classify Maestro's works. If you take for example, Maestro's guitar works, we can never complete it, it will be a nightmare. Inside guitar, he has played in different fashions for different genres and in various styles. genre wise, jazz guitar, classical guitar, rock guitar, folk guitar, blues, country, ragtime, hawaiian, flemenco, celtic, and so on. Style wise, distortion guitar, phasers, electric, acoustic, synth, pizzicato and many more. All with his bestest 'Bass guitar'.

Why don't you please open a thread to discuss Maestro's various playlists, as I believe you are already studying and classifying his works?

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
13th March 2012, 12:26 PM
http://www.tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/Hotnews/2012/mar/120312b.asp

ஆக்ஷன் கிங்கின் இந்த ஆக்டிங் கிங் ஸ்டோரி பற்றிதான் இன்டஸ்ட்ரி மூக்கு மேல் விரல் வைத்து வியக்கிறது. பிரசாத் என்ற இந்த படத்தில் அர்ஜுனுக்கு ஆக்ஷன் காட்சிகளும் இல்லை. டூயட்டும் இல்லை. அப்புறம்? ஃபுல்லா நடிப்பு. நடிப்பு. நடிப்பு மட்டும்தான். காது கேளாத வாய் பேசாத ஒரு குழந்தைக்கு அப்பாவாக நடித்திருக்கிறாராம் அவர். இங்கு ரிலீசாவதற்கு முன்பே பெர்லினில் நடைபெற்ற உலக திரைப்பட விழாவில் படத்தை ஸ்கிரீன் பண்ணினார்களாம். மொழி புரியாத சீனர்கள் கூட கண்கலங்கினார்களாம். படத்திற்கு இசை இளையராஜா என்பதை இந்த இடத்தில் சொன்னால் அதற்கான காரணம் உங்களுக்கும் புரியும்.

skr
14th March 2012, 08:13 PM
இளையராஜா இதுவரை இசையமைத்த அத்தனை பாடல்களையும் விஞ்ஞான முறைப்படி மெருகேற்றும் வேலை

நடைபெற்று வருகிறது. இதில் தேர்ச்சி பெற்ற ஒருவர் கோவையில் இருந்து வந்து பல மாதங்களாக இந்தப் பணியில்

ஈடுபட்டிருக்கிறார்.

குமுதம், 21 .03 .2012

Seems like someone in Coimbatore is digitally remastering all of his songs.
Now connecting this to his website , could this be the reason why the website is getting delayed ?
Me thinks so , nevertheless great news.

krish244
15th March 2012, 01:18 AM
A singer by name Suri Jagan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suraj_Jagan) has sung for IR in NEPV & YVM. Quite interesting singer choice! Curiosity level rising !

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/music/news-and-interviews/Suraj-Jagan-to-sing-for-Ilayaraja/articleshow/12262350.cms

thanks,

Krishnan

ravinat
22nd March 2012, 09:54 PM
V_S
Thanks for your response. I need to do more such work to start a thread separately on the playlists. Recently, I did another on the best of SPB from primarily Tamil, Kannada and Telugu. It covers all MDs, but the majority was Raja's compositions. I make it a point to shoot for the 150 to 160 tracks so that it will fit a 700 Mb CD, which most car players play. Not sure, where to post that list.

V_S
22nd March 2012, 10:01 PM
Thats' good to hear Ravi. There is another thread for SPB in general. Please post it here.
http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8319-S-P-Balasubramaniyam

Sureshs65
22nd March 2012, 11:31 PM
After listening to 'Dhoni' multiple times and hearing the BGM while my wife was watching the movie, I declare that 'thavi thavi' is the best song in the album. Not that anyone asked :) But the orchestration and its integration with the song is inch perfect. The way the violins start the song or the way they join in during the songs and the interludes. Everything has a touch of the master. The more I listen to the album the more this song becomes closer to the heart.

krish244
23rd March 2012, 12:13 PM
Review of PRASAD movie:

http://www.supergoodmovies.com/41825/sandalwood/prasad-movie-review-movie-review-details

"...The ustaad of film music Ilayaraja background score is the second hero of the film. The correct approach to the situations enhances the quality on the technical side. The title song and happy jaunt song are very sweet to hear..."

thanks,

Krishnan

Devaraagam
24th March 2012, 09:32 PM
Aadhi sokka is making me sokkifying in every inch and seconds of the song..orchestration, rendition ..dam good song.

krish244
27th March 2012, 10:32 AM
Rediff review of 'Prasad':

http://www.rediff.com/movies/report/south-review-prasaad-touches-a-chord/20120326.htm

"...Ilayaraja's music is haunting, especially the background score..."

thanks,

Krishnan

Shank
27th March 2012, 08:00 PM
Folks, sorry for the digression....I have been searching for this for a long time, super excited to have found it. Just had to share it before I even listened to it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AptDF611O9o

krish244
28th March 2012, 09:47 PM
Thanks much Shank for the link. I am yet to hear it. I was also very curious to listen to this music.

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
28th March 2012, 09:48 PM
http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news-1/mar-12-04/gautham-menon-ilayaraja-28-03-12.html

"...Apparently, Ilayaraja is composing music with the help of musicians from Budapest. His handwritten music notes are being composed by the musicians and Gautham Menon mentioned in an interview that they were the 'work of genius..."

Englibish'a thappu thappa use panna arthame maaridum :)

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
28th March 2012, 09:49 PM
News of IR and GVM in london for NEPV recording is spreading. Article in THE HINDU:

http://www.thehindu.com/arts/cinema/article3254064.ece

It says all (6) the songs are penned by Na.Muthukumar. It was reported earlier that Thamarai will be penning lyrics (at least for some songs) for IR for the first time. What happened to that? I was very curious about it Or, it could be that complete information is not known. Not sure. Will have to wait and see.

"...The lyricist who has penned all the songs, informs, “The film has six songs and each is special to me. The lyrics are fresh and based on love. I am a big fan of both Ilaiyaraja and Gautham Menon and I stayed in Mumbai for a week to complete the lyrics. Gautham gave me an outline of the script and then a detailed idea of the situations for the songs...”

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
28th March 2012, 09:56 PM
"Marenthein Mannithen" (tamil version of "gundallo godavari" telugu movie) has one kuthu song:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/music/news-and-interviews/Dancing-to-Ilaiyaraajas-tunes/articleshow/12438110.cms

Another bit info:

"Aaduvom paaduvom kondaduvom" portion of the song "podhuvaaga en manasu" is used for CSK IPL5 promo.

http://www.campaignindia.in/Video/295124,raise-your-hands-for-csk-in-ipl-5-says-new-video.aspx

thanks,

Krishnan

Sureshs65
30th March 2012, 12:06 AM
Here are all songs of 'Mudhalvar Mahatma' downloadable, free and legal

http://mudhalvarmahatma.com/music.html

crvenky
31st March 2012, 01:13 PM
Here are all songs of 'Mudhalvar Mahatma' downloadable, free and legal

Dear Suresh,

Unable to open the site, due to 'Bandwidth exceeded' limitation. Can you host the songs somewhere and give a link?

Thanks.

skr
31st March 2012, 05:40 PM
Gandhi Indru - Mudhalvar Mahatma
This song based in Dharmavathi Ragam evokes somewhat similar sentiments to the immortal classic Ennullil engo from Rosaappoo Ravikkaikkaari. Wonderful usage of violin which leaves a lump in your throat. Absolutely rivetting. Am just loving this one.
http://youtu.be/EUExxS7_JTQ

jmahesh
1st April 2012, 03:07 PM
Dear Suresh,

Unable to open the site, due to 'Bandwidth exceeded' limitation. Can you host the songs somewhere and give a link?

Thanks.

this is another link
http://www.welcomebackgandhi.com/music.html

skr
2nd April 2012, 11:28 PM
Mudhalvar Mahatma - A scintillating soundtrack !!
Frankly speaking , i didnt expect too much from this album and yes i was made to eat humble pie. Its just such a fabulous album. I know many of you are tremendouly excited about the soundtrack of Neethana Endhan Pin Vasantham but please let it not deter you in missing out on a class album like Mudhalvar Mahatma.
A small take on the songs
1) Gandhi Indru - This is based in Dharmavathi raga and instantly takes you to the olden day glory days of Raaja . It evoked sentiments similar to the immortal "Engullil Engo" from Rosappoo Ravikaikari.
2) Iraivane Varam Kettu - This is such a lilting composition and gives you such a soothing pleasant feel. Lovely rendition by Sriram P with a little Hindustani touch. The flute sounds like how it does in all his glory compositions and the keys and violins in the interludes just elevates the composition to an alltogether high. A small Graha Bedham touch (i think) at the end of the Charanam. My gawd - what a stunner :clap:
3) Nammadhu Desa - Its such an awe inspiring song , just no 2 words about it , the finishing touch is just spectacular.
4) Nam Vannai - Another winner , i just loved those voice overlay at the end of the lines and beautiful harmony backing.
5) Indru Thodangum - Starts off little like the Billa Theme and goes in its own direction and gives such a hard hitting impact. Notice the sudden wonderful scale change which appears from nowhere :)
6) Om Shantihi Shantihi - Reverbrating
7) Iraivan Alurile - Another really nice feel good song , i just loved the instrumentation at the start of the song which is so sweet.

6 of the songs span a duration of less than 2 mins but all of them have a speciality of their own. Ephemeral yet everlasting.
Overall an extremely satisfying musical experience with lovely orchestration , Dont miss this one. :musicsmile:
Download and listen legally to the songs from the website below

baroque
3rd April 2012, 06:01 AM
oh...idhu pudhu music album aa? :-D

Very good very good!

Raja, appadiye koduththuttey erunga :clap:

vinatha.

ravinat
5th April 2012, 05:07 AM
Thanks skr for the review. I liked the album very much, especially the first two tracks.

krish244
10th April 2012, 06:20 AM
More news on NEPV album. This news says Jiiva and Samantha will be singing the title song:

http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news-1/apr-12-02/neethane-en-ponvasantham-gautham-menon-09-04-12.html

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
12th April 2012, 12:34 PM
Samantha says, she singing in NEPV, is a rumour!

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/regional/tamil/news-interviews/Dont-believe-in-rumors-about-Gauthams-film-Samantha/articleshow/12634655.cms

thanks,

Krishnan

More news on NEPV album. This news says Jiiva and Samantha will be singing the title song:

http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news-1/apr-12-02/neethane-en-ponvasantham-gautham-menon-09-04-12.html

thanks,

Krishnan

MumbaiRamki
14th April 2012, 09:55 PM
Krish came in for today's 98.3 Neenga naan raja sir - he told that NEPV songs are extra ordinary ... ( and the same stuff that GVM told in ananda vikatan )

irir123
15th April 2012, 05:49 PM
ada - paata release pannungappaa ! or at least entha genres adhayavadhyu sollungappa

MumbaiRamki
15th April 2012, 09:11 PM
ada - paata release pannungappaa ! or at least entha genres adhayavadhyu sollungappa

irir123 .. Budapest pics yellaam paarththaa Jazz thaan :) Somehow im getting a feel that , if its modern , IT automatically switches to Jazz .... It works so far , but lets see !

V_S
15th April 2012, 09:52 PM
From the tweets, links, news we now atleast know the male singers; IR, Yuvan, Karthik, Krish?, Suri Jagan. But who are the female singers? Do we know about this?

AravindMano
28th April 2012, 03:10 AM
From the tweets, links, news we now atleast know the male singers; IR, Yuvan, Karthik, Krish?, Suri Jagan. But who are the female singers? Do we know about this?

Sunidhi Chauhan. She mentioned she met Shaan during the recording, so he could have sung too. They both sang in Paa as well.