PDA

View Full Version : Appaa's(Dad) corner

jaiganes
12th January 2012, 09:21 AM
Since this hub's average age has gone up - there are a lot of new and "again" dads here.
Dads are among the most clueless and innocent human beings who have to balance home and office
and spend time solving the world's problems in google and hub. So this thread is a place where
dads, dads to be and moms spying on dads can come and share valuable information. Feel free to post links on
things ranging from cleaning soiled diapers to teaching math to kindergarteners..

groucho070
12th January 2012, 09:40 AM
Good thread, Jai. Keep this alive, I yam coming soon...

rajraj
12th January 2012, 11:37 PM
No thaathaa paatti thread? :lol:

"If mommy says 'no' ask grandma" says a plate I bought for my wife recently! :)

jaiganes
13th January 2012, 01:48 AM
No thaathaa paatti thread? :lol:

"If mommy says 'no' ask grandma" says a plate I bought for my wife recently! :)
count the number of thaathaa - paattis in the hub boss..
enna veLayaattu idhu?
thavira these days grandmas and grandpas are having it super easy - TV serial paathoma, yoga class/walking ponoma appuram kalyaanam, kaadhu kuththu attend pannoma, appappo trainla other oldiesoda sendhu ullaasa/koyil kulam payanam ponoma appddinnu summa haayaa irukkaanga. meendhadhukku, oru US/UK trip apparam december aana kutcheri sabayai nerapparadhu - appdinnu jolly life - avangalukku ennathukku oru thread.. engala maadhiri stressed out apppaakkaLukku dhaan indha sangam..

app_engine
13th January 2012, 03:51 AM
vengAyam urichchA kaNNeeru :-)

'adEngappA' thread, good effort jai-ji:-)

rajraj
13th January 2012, 05:22 AM
I was joking jaiganes! :) I am sure you know that. But, I am glad you have a realistic assessment of life in these united states. You are right, it is not like my days. It takes two incomes to lead a reasonably comfortable life. The pinch comes only when the children are ready for college! :( If I can be of any help let me know. I will post the advice I give youngsters in your age group.

Jolly life for thaathaas and paattis (in India)? I am not sure about that. :)

count the number of thaathaa - paattis in the hub boss..
enna veLayaattu idhu?
- appdinnu jolly life - avangalukku ennathukku oru thread.. engala maadhiri stressed out apppaakkaLukku dhaan indha sangam..

jaiganes
13th January 2012, 08:51 AM
appa-amma vs thaatha-paatti should be a topic of separate discussion...
Getting back to appa's ..
We can divide appas into 4 categories..
1. Prospective appaz clueless as to what they r gonna do- green horns..
2. Junior dads - recently initiated into fatherhood - if they are lucky, they have a support system
providing them relief from the real "stress" - Sometimes this can be detrimental as they
are missing out on the real fun of being a dad.
3. Dads of middle and high schoolers - Most important role models in the family - having the misfortune of
learning algebra and integral calculus at the worst or chauffeurs driving kids to math olympiads and spelling bee kind of
competitions - hoping in heart of hearts that they dont have to do the trip to Bank for an education loan.
4. Retired Dads - Summoned only if they are dads of a daughter about to get married or expecting. Life now is in cruise control
Cricket score and politics are the only things that can work up the blood pressure a notch. Kids are out of the "problem list" - finally - hopefully!!

groucho070
13th January 2012, 08:59 AM
1. Prospective appaz clueless as to what they r gonna do- green horns..:shaking:...

venkkiram
13th January 2012, 09:51 AM
நன்றி ஜெ. திரி ஆரம்பித்ததற்கு. நிறைய பேசலாம். பேசணும்.

venkkiram
13th January 2012, 10:02 AM
அந்தந்த வயதில் விதவிதமான மைல்கற்கள். ஒவ்வொரு மைல்கல்லையும் பார்க்கும்போதெல்லாம் இனம்புரியாத ஆனந்தத்தால் அகம் மகிழ்கிறது. பளுவாக இருக்கும் குழந்தை வளர்ப்புக்கு இயற்கை கொடுக்கும் பரிசு இதுபோன்ற நிகழ்வுகள்.

venkkiram
13th January 2012, 10:04 AM
அவர்களுக்கு விவரம் தெரிய தெரிய நம்மிடம் கேட்கும் கேள்விகளுக்கு எப்படி பதில் சொல்வது என குழம்பிப் போகும் அப்பாக்களை சந்தித்ததுண்டு.

-----------
நண்பர் ஒருவரின் ஏழு வயது மகன்..தாத்தா இறந்ததற்கு பிறகு..

"அப்பா! தாத்தாவை பார்க்கணும்! "

"தாத்தாவா! அவங்க சொர்க்கத்துக்கு போயிட்டாங்க! அங்க போனவங்க திரும்பி வரமாட்டாங்கடா செல்லம்"

"சரி! அப்ப வாப்பா..நம்ம போலாம் சொர்க்கத்துக்கு!"

------

groucho070
13th January 2012, 10:14 AM
Maybe unrelated, but did you notice something about Kamal and the kids in Manmadhan Ambu. No beating around the bush, very direct tell them what it is as it is.

venkkiram
13th January 2012, 10:23 AM
yes. பிரச்சார நெடி தூக்குமே! நாங்க பெண்டகன் சுற்றிப் பார்த்து செல்லும்போது கூட வந்த நண்பரின் குடும்பம் அவர்களது நான்கு வயது மகனிடம் தீவிரவாத தாக்குதல் பற்றி கோனார் உரையாற்றிக் கொண்டிருந்தார்கள் அந்தப் பையன் கேள்வி கேட்காமலேயே!

தலைதெறிக்க ஓடிவிட்டேன்.

Scale
13th January 2012, 10:51 AM
Jai, Good thread. Ensure that no amma's steps in here. I am a junior dad with 2 kids still not school going. Staying abroad, Madam leisurely wakes up at 11 see no maamiyaar no naathanaar thollai still have lot to complain. I am binded to recall and thankful to my mother(in a joint family) how much she used to work from morning till late night :notworthy: without any modern facilities.

Everyday I am having a stressful life managing both office and home I strictly avoid calls or any outside assignments during evening just only to take care of kids.

ennudaya suthanthiram poiduchi no more music cant go to movies with kids like before, no sports, no friends get to gether. Office-a vitta veedu veetta vitta office.

azhudhu purandaalum andha bachelor life varaadhu pola. That's the life and the Kids future is always a big concern. School serkurathukke romba kastama irukku.

Scale
13th January 2012, 10:58 AM
innoru mukkiyamaana vishayam before anyone gets married make sure that you are financially capable of having your own house.

kudumbam nadathurathe kambi mela nadakkura maathiri veedellam intha kaalathula katta mudiyathunga.

Scale
13th January 2012, 11:05 AM
thatha patti life's are much more perturbing in particular their health conditions. :cry:

Scale
13th January 2012, 11:10 AM
:shaking:...

vaanga vaanga.... I am looking forward to your posts dealing babies and diapers.

Scale
13th January 2012, 11:41 AM
And with kids around you cannot open your pc/laptop browsing/hubbing completely spoils.

PARAMASHIVAN
13th January 2012, 04:15 PM
still have lot to complain. Isn't that the mentality amongst Majority of women :huh:

ennudaya suthanthiram poiduchi no more music cant go to movies with kids like before, no sports, no friends get to gether. Office-a vitta veedu veetta vitta office.
I know excatly what you mean? :sigh2:

PARAMASHIVAN
13th January 2012, 04:17 PM
Sacle

Where do reside (Country) ?

ajithfederer
13th January 2012, 04:31 PM
:bow:

Sorry to hear your story Scale. Hope things turn better for the future.

azhudhu purandaalum andha bachelor life varaadhu pola.

Heard this a lot too.

innoru mukkiyamaana vishayam before anyone gets married make sure that you are financially capable of having your own house.

kudumbam nadathurathe kambi mela nadakkura maathiri veedellam intha kaalathula katta mudiyathunga.

KV
13th January 2012, 05:38 PM
Stressed out dad, the extreme version. Don't try this at home!
http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/content/pictures/family/HomerStranglesBart1.gif

Jokes apart, nice thread, Jai. :thumbsup: Me too waiting for Grouchy's induction and insights!

PARAMASHIVAN
13th January 2012, 07:37 PM
KV Uncle

I think Jai anna meant this thread to be serious :roll:

jaiganes
13th January 2012, 08:24 PM
jokes are always welcome..
However there are some serious facts to consider here too.
It is a given that Indian men (most of them) are not brought up to act as responsible dads in a nuclear family setup.
They are never taught to do any household chores and even when they are earning members not properly groomed on managing finances. Becoming a father is like throwing the uninitiated into Test match cricket with Australian team of 2000s. It is a night mare without support and the trouble gets compounded if the spouse is also as spoilt(donno how to cook etc.,) as their partner. To be a successful dad - one must learn how to be a successful husband. So big word of advice - never rush in to have kids. Understand your partner - strengths and weaknesses - gel together as a team in doing chores, assignments (like let's say arranging a surprise marriage day party for your parents or her parents). Entering fatherhood after understanding your partner is the first best thing one can do.

PARAMASHIVAN
13th January 2012, 08:48 PM
jokes are always welcome..
However there are some serious facts to consider here too.
It is a given that Indian men (most of them) are not brought up to act as responsible dads in a nuclear family setup.
They are never taught to do any household chores and even when they are earning members not properly groomed on managing finances. Becoming a father is like throwing the uninitiated into Test match cricket with Australian team of 2000s. It is a night mare without support and the trouble gets compounded if the spouse is also as spoilt(donno how to cook etc.,) as their partner. To be a successful dad - one must learn how to be a successful husband. So big word of advice - never rush in to have kids. Understand your partner - strengths and weaknesses - gel together as a team in doing chores, assignments (like let's say arranging a surprise marriage day party for your parents or her parents). Entering fatherhood after understanding your partner is the first best thing one can do.

Ok On a broadened horizon, why marry in the first place and have kids? :huh: I know exactly what you mean!, I find women who have migrated from the sub continent (fresshies) try to take advantage of the western laws (which favours them the most) is the cause of most miseries in Relationships! Eg, why women have get to have all the rights over the kids in case of divorce :evil:

And these laws of the Anglo Saxons even expect the husbands to pay for their divorce expenses, their living expenses and the child expenses also.

Regarding house chores, it is not a big deal at all! In fact if these women expects their Muppets, sorry husbands to take ½ the responsibility of the house chores, then they better support in the financial contribution towards the household income!

Last but not least, sue all these dumb TV serials, Jewellery/Fabrics adverts, fast food take aways and introduce some documentaries to educate!!!!

venkkiram
13th January 2012, 09:01 PM
Entering fatherhood after understanding your partner is the first best thing one can do. ரொம்ப சுலபமா சொல்லிட்டிங்க. புரிஞ்சிக்கிட்டுதான் குழந்தை என்றால் நம்ம கிழவனாகிவிடுவோம். அதெல்லாம் பெரிசா எடுத்துக்காம, விதையை முளைக்க வச்சிடணும். அப்புறம் பாத்தி கட்டி, தண்ணி ஊத்தி, வேலி அமைத்து போறபோக்குல பூங்காவாக மாற்றிடலாம்.

PARAMASHIVAN
13th January 2012, 09:07 PM
ரொம்ப சுலபமா சொல்லிட்டிங்க. புரிஞ்சிக்கிட்டுதான் குழந்தை என்றால் நம்ம கிழவனாகிவிடுவோம். அதெல்லாம் பெரிசா எடுத்துக்காம, விதையை முளைக்க வச்சிடணும். அப்புறம் பாத்தி கட்டி, தண்ணி ஊத்தி, வேலி அமைத்து போறபோக்குல பூங்காவாக மாற்றிடலாம்.

Venki

Everyone’s situations, circumstances, opinions, expectations differ. But when it comes to Life partner's and importantly kids, one must be extremely sure, else his life and the kids life would be an absolute hell!!!

rajraj
13th January 2012, 09:08 PM
Does that mean no pEran pEthi from you? :lol:

Ok On a broadened horizon, why marry in the first place and have kids? :huh:

venkkiram
13th January 2012, 09:11 PM
இப்ப இருக்கிற ஒரு வயசு குழந்தை தானாகவே ஐஃபோனை திறந்து கேம் விளையாட ஆரம்பிக்கிறது. இந்த எலக்ட்ரானிக் மோகம் நல்லதா கேட்டதா?

PARAMASHIVAN
13th January 2012, 09:12 PM
Does that mean no pEran pEthi from you? :lol:

Thatha romba mukiyum :evil: (joking :) )

Nalla oru Thamizh manakira Kudumba pEn ah paathu sollunga, I yam ready :lol2: :yessir:

PARAMASHIVAN
13th January 2012, 09:13 PM
இப்ப இருக்கிற ஒரு வயசு குழந்தை தானாகவே ஐஃபோனை திறந்து கேம் விளையாட ஆரம்பிக்கிறது. இந்த எலக்ட்ரானிக் மோகம் நல்லதா கேட்டதா?

Muthalla,

Neenga nallavar kettavara Nu sollunga :lol:

Scale
13th January 2012, 09:31 PM
I am currently residing in Abu Dhabi (UAE). Life is very expensive here Annual Rent, Monthly expenses, vehicle loan and now control-e illama egirum school fees and micellaneous exenses. Annual increment-kke padatha paadu pada vendiyatha irukku. My boss is very clever and knows full family history when and how to play around.

I have heard enough stories that she (my wife) was leading a princess'y life (the only daugher and her parents never let her do anything) before and now have become like a servant (have to admit that she is a fine cook) showing her hands and the need for a dish washer :yappa: The challenge comes to every parent/husband is how you manage these situations and control these unwanted expenses. This doesn't means that we are always having conflicts no not at all. We are certainly happy and all these problems could be easily sorted out in a day or two.

Af,

I would advice that sooner you get married that's better.

Last but not least, sue all these dumb TV serials, Jewellery/Fabrics adverts, fast food take always and introduce some documentaries to educate!!!!

Regarding house chores, it is not a big deal at all! In fact if these women expect their Muppets, sorry husbands to take ½ the responsibility of the house chores, then they better support in the financial contribution towards the household income!

:thumbsup:

Scale
13th January 2012, 09:34 PM
ரொம்ப சுலபமா சொல்லிட்டிங்க.

intha saathan yeppa yeppadi veetukulla varumne theriyaadhu. Incorrigible!

PARAMASHIVAN
13th January 2012, 09:49 PM

:ty:

Scale

Sorry, if this questions sounds "Personal" please ingnore it. But why are you alone in UAE with the kids while your wife is back in India ?

Scale
13th January 2012, 09:54 PM
She (My Wife) is here only (with me).

PARAMASHIVAN
13th January 2012, 10:03 PM
oh :oops:

jaiganes
13th January 2012, 10:08 PM
I dont think so it is bad - just let there be moderation and no addiction.
My daughter has already started using iPad in her school and she uses my iPhone better than me..

Scale
13th January 2012, 10:14 PM
The parents should realize how these unnecessary expenditures are going to affect the children's mentality. vayasirukku sambarikkirom intha nilai needikkumnu enna uruthi.

venki sir,

My 3 yr old daughter knows how to enable wifi get into youtube and play kolaveri song (from the recently played link)

I told my wife to use only land line and never give her mobile as she is always addicted to it
if you try to grab the phone will fly in pieces.

jaiganes
13th January 2012, 10:48 PM
The parents should realize how these unnecessary expenditures are going to affect the children's mentality. vayasirukku sambarikkirom intha nilai needikkumnu enna uruthi.

venki sir,

My 3 yr old daughter knows how to enable wifi get into youtube and play kolaveri song (from the recently played link)

I told my wife to use only land line and never give her mobile as she is always addicted to it
if you try to grab the phone will fly in pieces.
nah - i dont think so. first thing to do is to teach children to respond to an authority figure - not by 'yelling' , but through subtle means and expose them to a concept of "moderation" - time consciousness.
Once these are done, then children would automatically learn to use things with "approval" and use them with moderation (within the set time limit). Otherwise they would become automatic rebels (which we dont want them to become). It is very essential that you have the support of your spouse on it, otherwise dad becomes this guy who comes to home and as soon as he comes - starts issuing orders.

PARAMASHIVAN
13th January 2012, 10:48 PM

Good point, when I was a toddler back in SL, we only had an old radio, which played songs from "Radio Ceylon", and "All India radio". Never had any TV, Fridge or the electrical alike!, Even though I grew up in UK , never ever had any desires for materials or high tech equipments alike, (even though I grew up in west), till date, I don’t have any Play station/ Ipads, Android phones ...etc. I still use a very basic Nokia Phone. I guess it is one's mentality! This had nothing to do with my parents, it is just my mentality !

Scale
13th January 2012, 11:11 PM
My wife access all kind of information online about children's mentality and doctor's advice. Once she told me that even if two kids are fighting you shouldn't stop. Only after a time (before something serious happens) that you need to intervene and educate them. Fine, I understand that. Now the real problem comes here only to both of us how much time we each can dedicate to the children as we both are busy with our own works. Kids pestering is something you easily gets irritated. oru nimisham asandha kooda pothum vebareethama ethavathu panniduvaanga. This is why I don't want to leave them with a babysitter or have any maid to look after them. My mother (back home) keeps advising me let them grow in their own way. athukkaagha vodacha vera vaangi kuduthu kitte irukka mudiyuma.

Scale
13th January 2012, 11:14 PM
Jai,

I also wish that all children's needs to be grown in that way only.

V_S
14th January 2012, 05:08 AM
Jai, Good thread, kalakkareL pongo! Scale excellent contributions and observations! :thumbsup:

Scale
14th January 2012, 08:37 AM
Thanks! Sontha kathai eppavume suwarasiyama thaan irukkum.

Now another question how many hours poor fathers are sleeping and how much hair left on your head? :lol2:

Scale
14th January 2012, 09:01 AM
PS,

Today's generation is not the same as Ours that's what we are discussing here. During my childhood days we have only one bat from the whole team to play cricket. Today's kid has everything at their easy reach. The parents irrespective of their household income are under tremendous pressure to meet the children's demand.

venkkiram
14th January 2012, 09:24 AM
பெரியவனுக்கு நாலு வயசு இருக்கும். கோயிலில் சன்னிதானத்தை சுற்றி வீற்றிருக்கும் சுவாமிகளை காட்டிக்கொண்டு செல்லுகையில்.. கிருஷ்ணர் தனது வலது இடது புறத்தில் ராதா - ருக்மணியோடு..

கேள்வி பதில் நேரம்.

அந்த ரெண்டு பேரும் யாரு?
அதுவா? ஒருத்தவங்க பேரு ராதா இன்னொருத்தவங்க ருக்மணி
அவங்க கிருஷ்ணாவுக்கு என்ன வேணும்?
ஒய்வ்!
ரெண்டு பெருமா? ஹௌ?
ஃபெமிலின்னா ஒரு மென் - ஒரு வுமன் தான?

rajraj
14th January 2012, 09:36 AM
ரெண்டு பெருமா? ஹௌ?

Venkkiram,
A ten year old Indian girl in San Francisco asked her mother: "How can a man get married to another man" ! Be prepared for that question sooner or later. Of course, San Francisco is different! :)

venkkiram
14th January 2012, 09:53 AM
அதற்கெல்லாம் எப்படி பதில் சொல்றது என பயிற்சி எடுத்துக்கணும்னு நினைக்கிறேன்.

rajraj
14th January 2012, 10:02 AM
There will be more questions when the children start school. Here is one my son asked my father. We were in Tanjore for my brother's wedding in 1988. We were returning to Madras by train. My middle son, about 11 years old, went to my father and asked him: " How can you do a dumb thing like getting my parents married without them knowing each other? " My father just smiled and did not say anything. For them arranged marriage is 'weird', to use their phrase. That question will come up too, if yours is an arranged marriage! :)

அதற்கெல்லாம் எப்படி பதில் சொல்றது என பயிற்சி எடுத்துக்கணும்னு நினைக்கிறேன்.

Scale
14th January 2012, 10:09 AM
They won't ask these questions in future. I am sure!

venkkiram
14th January 2012, 10:16 AM
ஓ! அந்த அளவுக்கு இருக்குமா? சுத்தம்!

சமீபத்தில் மேனஜர் பகிர்ந்துகொண்டது. பொண்ணு ஆறாம் வகுப்பு. பள்ளியில் பாலியல் கல்வி சம்பந்தமாக பிரத்யேக வகுப்புக்கள் நடக்கவிருக்கிறது, விரும்புவோர் கலந்துகொள்ளலாம் என்ற நிலை. மேனஜரோட மனைவி "இவ்வளவு சீக்கிரத்துலயே தெரிந்துகொள்ள வேண்டிய அவசியம் என்ன? என புறக்கணிக்க சொல்லியிருக்கிறார்கள். பெண்ணோ தோழிகள் எல்லோரும் கலந்துக்கப் போறாங்க நானும் போறேன் எனச் சொல்ல, மேனஜர் கலந்து கொள்வது சரியே என சம்மதம் தெரிவித்திருக்கிறார்.

ajithfederer
14th January 2012, 10:17 AM
Paramu :lol: :clap:

Hit the nail on the head on the anglo saxon laws.

Ok On a broadened horizon, why marry in the first place and have kids? :huh: I know exactly what you mean!, I find women who have migrated from the sub continent (fresshies) try to take advantage of the western laws (which favours them the most) is the cause of most miseries in Relationships! Eg, why women have get to have all the rights over the kids in case of divorce :evil:

And these laws of the Anglo Saxons even expect the husbands to pay for their divorce expenses, their living expenses and the child expenses also.

Regarding house chores, it is not a big deal at all! In fact if these women expects their Muppets, sorry husbands to take ½ the responsibility of the house chores, then they better support in the financial contribution towards the household income!

Last but not least, sue all these dumb TV serials, Jewellery/Fabrics adverts, fast food take aways and introduce some documentaries to educate!!!!

Scale
14th January 2012, 10:17 AM
I mean to say that will be really welcoming if they ask us at least till certain age.

Scale
14th January 2012, 10:28 AM
It will also help me to keep an eagle eye on my children's how they grow and what's in their mind.

ajithfederer
14th January 2012, 10:30 AM
Solrardhu romba easy :twisted:.

My maams always says marriage is equal to falling in an open well with open eyes :lol:.

Af,

I would advice that sooner you get married that's better.

Scale
14th January 2012, 10:32 AM
When I got married my friends welcomed me to the 'pool of fools'. You think that you can escape long.

Scale
14th January 2012, 10:35 AM
see my siggy af :)

Scale
14th January 2012, 10:43 AM
Life is incomplete without Marriage and kids. That makes men to be motivated, challenging and responsible.

Scale
14th January 2012, 11:22 AM
I am not turning the table now we would like to see what are the other problems that a common father faces today and to what magnitude.

directhit
14th January 2012, 03:09 PM

I dont think so it is bad - just let there be moderation and no addiction.
My daughter has already started using iPad in her school and she uses my iPhone better than me.. infact IPhones/IPad have been a lot more helpful in getting my son to write/read/draw much easily... and after abt 1.5 yrs of usage he has sort of grown out of it..

aanaa
14th January 2012, 08:49 PM
infact IPhones/IPad have been a lot more helpful in getting my son to write/read/draw much easily... and after abt 1.5 yrs of usage he has sort of grown out of it..

If you take those kids to party/outside they are not integrating with other kids but they just only play /listen music with their own ipod :-(

directhit
14th January 2012, 09:17 PM
If you take those kids to party/outside they are not integrating with other kids but they just only play /listen music with their own ipod :-( mm lucky hasnt happened yet with mine :) again it also depends on their own interest to a large extent. My son was kinda inclined to colours/drawing and caught onto those apps soon... then it was youtube for few months... but he has outgrown that and hardly spends 10 minutes a day on that now! Once we involve them in other things they should catch up, with other kids, again depends on the chemistry they share - thts another important point. Also once the elders talk to them and spend time with them a lot i think these techno addictions might reduce! Having said all tht, mine's jus 3.5 yrs old :lol2: i have more and more time to be proven wrong :-P

Nerd
15th January 2012, 12:03 AM
Since this hub's average age has gone up - there are a lot of new and "again" dads here.
Dads are among the most clueless and innocent human beings who have to balance home and office
and spend time solving the world's problems in google and hub. So this thread is a place where
dads, dads to be and moms spying on dads can come and share valuable information. Feel free to post links on
things ranging from cleaning soiled diapers to teaching math to kindergarteners..
:shock: வோய்.. இதல்லாம் யூஸ் அண்ட் த்ரோ தானே..

Scale
15th January 2012, 10:20 AM
:shock: வோய்.. இதல்லாம் யூஸ் அண்ட் த்ரோ தானே..

வாங்க..வாங்க! பேபிய யாரு கிளீன் பன்றது. Before you hear a shout from kitchen or dressing room get the baby ready ASAP.

தப்பில்லை!

Scale
15th January 2012, 10:32 AM
Before marriage I don't even know what's happening in the kitchen today I work like Chitti under her supervision.

Come on, boys! :smokesmile: இதுவும் தப்பில்லை!

Bala (Karthik)
16th January 2012, 09:09 AM
Ippo dhaan paakkaren, good thread Jai :thumbsup:

A generally useful link http://www.babycenter.com/

groucho070
16th January 2012, 09:39 AM
Thanks! Sontha kathai eppavume suwarasiyama thaan irukkum.

Now another question how many hours poor fathers are sleeping and how much hair left on your head? :lol2:Already suffering from insomnia, and already most hair left my head.

Another thing, am becoming dad at the age of 39 (this year, Sept, but baby due February), so would my old age be advantage or disadvantage?

Bala (Karthik)
16th January 2012, 09:47 AM
Groucho,
Will you get a support system (parents/in-laws) living with you or is it up to you both?

venkkiram
16th January 2012, 09:57 AM
Another thing, am becoming dad at the age of 39 (this year, Sept, but baby due February), so would my old age be advantage or disadvantage?முன்கூட்டிய வாழ்த்துக்கள்! பெயரெல்லாம் முடிவு செய்துவிட்டீர்களா?

directhit
16th January 2012, 10:02 AM
:shock: வோய்.. இதல்லாம் யூஸ் அண்ட் த்ரோ தானே.. use kku munnaadi maati vidaradhu? throw kku munnaadi clean panradhu? indha rendukkum nadula rashes varaama paathukkaradhu .. naraya irukku :lol2:

groucho070
16th January 2012, 10:24 AM
Groucho,
Will you get a support system (parents/in-laws) living with you or is it up to you both?Support system :lol2: Well, parents too far, back in Johor. In-laws about fifteen minutes drive. Mother-in-law will baby sit (alongside the confinement period there).
முன்கூட்டிய வாழ்த்துக்கள்! பெயரெல்லாம் முடிவு செய்துவிட்டீர்களா?Nandri, Venki. Peyar irukku, for both boy and girl (ippothaikkum scan pannunA theriyamAttengguthu, which could also mean...).

jaiganes
16th January 2012, 10:32 AM
@grouch - age is immaterial - perseverance and willingness to participate in child care is the most important thing.. adhu irundhaa
edhu venumna pannalaam. And in this effort Wife is the captain of the ship - a certain obedience to that simple chain of command is
very essential.

groucho070
16th January 2012, 10:49 AM
jai, noted. Thanks.

Speaking of which, my current immediate boss asked if I know how to make milk with leg. I said I did not. He said, when both are sleeping suddenly your wife's leg will be kicking yours urging you to make milk. Athuvum sarithAn...:razz:

Scale
16th January 2012, 11:01 AM
Advance wishes Groucho Brother. You will see how you adopt yourself from a useless dappa into a skillful appa.

My first advice to all late marriage couples is that you both take care of your health first. If you are well, active, floating like a butterfly you can manage easily :)

groucho070
16th January 2012, 11:06 AM
Thanks Scale. ippOthaikku useless dappA-thAn...:smile:

groucho070
16th January 2012, 12:28 PM
A generally useful link http://www.babycenter.com/Excellent link. Checking out week 33.

PARAMASHIVAN
16th January 2012, 03:22 PM
Life is incomplete without Marriage and kids. That makes men to be motivated, challenging and responsible.

First time I hear Marriage makes men motivated :shock: Jail ku pOna thaan Motivation kidaikuma :roll:

groucho070
17th January 2012, 08:50 AM
Motivated to be more responsible, to think for others, to be less selfish, to plan long term, to move as a team rather than a unit, to cut off useless friends and gain understanding friends (who are not miffed that you are no longer hanging around with them long hours), to drive safely, to save money, to invest wisely, to delete your unwanted files :wink:, and to think, "what the hell have I done?".

Scale
17th January 2012, 10:30 AM
+1 everything works here on collective thoughts (in the sense that final decision should be yours) for that you need to have a wide understanding and a meticulous planning/soaping to execute.

Marriage-la ellame First-time experience thaan.

உடுக்கைக்கு ஒரு பக்கம் இடின்னா மத்தளத்துக்கு இரண்டு பக்கமும் இடி!

இதுக்கெல்லாம் ஆபீஸ்ல Training குடுக்க மாட்டாங்க.

venkkiram
17th January 2012, 10:35 AM
உடுக்கைக்கு ஒரு பக்கம் இடின்னா மத்தளத்துக்கு இரண்டு பக்கமும் இடி! இதுக்கெல்லாம் ஆபீஸ்ல Training குடுக்க மாட்டாங்க.
:rotfl:

Scale
17th January 2012, 10:39 AM
Note this point venkiram. Once, this used to be a dangerous signature proverb for brides now aggressively wrenching on us.

PARAMASHIVAN
17th January 2012, 03:09 PM
How come none of Ladies posts here? Are they banned from this thread ? :lol2: :yessir:

app_engine
17th January 2012, 10:54 PM
Advance congrats, groucho!

You will do good! Age is not a problem at all!

app_engine
17th January 2012, 10:56 PM
Just a suggestion to groucho (& expectant appAkkaL) :

If you're a regular at gym (or home-workouts), please maintain - average 20 minutes a day.

If you're not a gymmer yet, start immediately - you need to keep fit :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
17th January 2012, 10:58 PM
Advance wishes Rakesh anna :)

If you need any help with Fitness, fire away the questions cos Shivj ji is a trained Gym instructor :)

app_engine
17th January 2012, 11:00 PM
And to those appAs who are too much worried about baldness:

Please don't ever use 'rogaine' (minoxidil) kind of products...you may get some hair / arrest some hair loss but get into "other" troubles (as experienced by a number of my relatives - that put their whole family life in serious stress)!

PARAMASHIVAN
17th January 2012, 11:01 PM
And to those appAs who are too much worried about baldness:

Please don't ever use 'rogaine' (minoxidil) kind of products...you may get some hair / arrest some hair loss but get into "other" troubles (as experienced by a number of my relatives - that put their whole family life in serious stress)!

App anna

R u talking about Regaine ???

app_engine
17th January 2012, 11:14 PM
have become like a servant (have to admit that she is a fine cook) showing her hands and the need for a dish washer :yappa:

I think I'm qualified to make some statements in this topic here :-) (Brought up one child in India with all kinds of support system, servant etc and another in the USA with absolutely no one other than me / wife & sometimes son..apart from that kAttilum mEttilum concrete junglekaLilum manual / physical work niRaiya paNNi irukkEn)...

The most irritating / frustrating / nauseating / etc job in this world, i.e. next only to washing a senior's dirty clothes during college ragging & cleaning up a broken glass vessel / peengAn vessels, is dish washing :-(

So, my sympathies are totally with Mrs Scale :-) thEvaiyE illAmal, just for the sake of "motivation" to take care of this menial job, I open budweisers every now and then - take a sip, leave it on fridge top, finish a set, take another, get back to washing etc :lol:

However, home kitchen style dish washer won't solve that greasy Hawkins used for biriyAni or big vadachchatti used for masAlA / curry and those badA badA vessels used for packing food to every one in the neighborhood etc (to show you are the most hospitable person in the world) :-) Dish washer, IMO, is just a "meni-minukki" fellow that can only take care of those easy stuff, that too after we get rid of every sticky thing on them :-(

The best dish washer in the world is appA :-)

app_engine
17th January 2012, 11:16 PM
App anna

R u talking about Regaine ???

Here is the website :
http://www.rogaine.com/

The chemical name is "minoxidil"...

jaiganes
17th January 2012, 11:23 PM
Sooper - sabai kaLai kattufied..
As regards to dishwashers not doing their job ...
1) how you arrange the dishes is very important - read the bottom portions of most porcelains to see if it is good for
top rack or bottom rack.
2) use gel packs instead of powders (I use finish) and never forget to use "Jet Dry" - that prevents the accumulation of small rice parukkais that harden on drying..

Of course lesser non-stick used for cooking - easier it is for mom/dad for cleaning..
@grouch - go through youtube videos on how to burp the baby and how to bathe in the mini tub - this is important once your in-laws move out - the baby will resist bathing in anything but paatti's knees - so quickly transition into this in 1 month or so..
Most important job of dad is to be the silent shoulder on which your wife can unload her stress - dont react to it as it is mainly from post-partum hormonal swings and nothing from the heart of your spouse - try to adjust to it a little more - this could even mean you telling her "sivaji is not all that great actor" once in a while - if it pleases her a little..;-)

groucho070
18th January 2012, 06:38 AM
Thanks app and Raghu for the wishes, and advices. Am balding, and would like to bald gracefully. Let it be, unlike my comb-over dad.

venkkiram
18th January 2012, 10:24 AM
நேரம் கிடைக்கும்போது பாத்திரம் கழுவுவது, வீட்டைப் பெருக்குவது, பசங்களுக்கு உணவு ஊட்டுவது, குட்டிப் பையன் அ போனால் கழுவுவது, புது டையபர் மாற்றுவது போன்ற வேலைகளை எல்லாம் முழு மனதோடு செய்வேன். இருக்கும் கொஞ்ச நல்ல பழக்கங்களுள் ஒரு சில அதுவும் ஒன்று! என் மனதை சாந்தப் படுத்துகிற விஷயங்களாக இதை எடுத்துக்கொள்வேன். வீட்டில் எது செய்தாலும் மனதை குவியப்படுத்தி செய்தால் அதுபோன்ற தியானம், மனப்பயிற்சி வேறு ஏதுமில்லை.

venkkiram
18th January 2012, 10:29 AM
முடிந்தால், அனுமதி கிடைத்தால் பிரசவ அறைக்கு செல்லுங்கள். வாழ்வின் முக்கியமான தருணங்களில் மனைவியோடு இருத்தல் நிறைவாக இருக்கும். உலகிற்கு காலடி எடுத்து வைக்கும் சிசுவின் முதல் அசைவுகளை, அழுகையை கண்டு ரசிக்க கோடிக் கண்கள் பத்தாது!

app_engine
18th January 2012, 09:44 PM
நேரம் கிடைக்கும்போது பாத்திரம் கழுவுவது, வீட்டைப் பெருக்குவது, பசங்களுக்கு உணவு ஊட்டுவது, குட்டிப் பையன் அ போனால் கழுவுவது, புது டையபர் மாற்றுவது போன்ற வேலைகளை எல்லாம் முழு மனதோடு செய்வேன்.

When there's no such option, frustration is bound to occur :-)

I imagine how nice it was when people never had to wash clothes or dishes (no dresses / no laundry, no cooking / no dish washing) :lol:

groucho070
19th January 2012, 07:15 AM
In my wedding speech (http://grouchydays.blogspot.com/2009/11/couples-speech.html), I said, "And Linda, I promise to be a wonderful husband and a great father and help to wash dishes the rest of my life." Athai kapp-u-nu pidichittAngga. Stilll washing :smile:

app_engine
19th January 2012, 07:47 PM
groucho,

your speech :rotfl2:

:thumbsup: for sticking to the commitment!

groucho070
20th January 2012, 06:23 AM
Thanks app, the Tamizh part was written for me by our Joe.

venkkiram
20th January 2012, 09:29 AM
Dig://
Nandri Kalantha Kadapaattinai Terivittu Kollugiren

Groucho: What is meant by "Kadapaattinai"? I cudn't get it.

// End Dig

groucho070
20th January 2012, 10:03 AM
:oops: Humbleness, humility...

PARAMASHIVAN
20th January 2012, 05:00 PM
In my wedding speech (http://grouchydays.blogspot.com/2009/11/couples-speech.html) ithu vEraiya :rotfl:

app_engine
20th January 2012, 06:29 PM
Literally 'kadappAdu' means 'kadan pattiruththal' ("I owe them") :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
1st February 2012, 03:43 PM
Am balding, and would like to bald gracefully. Let it be, unlike my comb-over dad.

Rakesh anna

Change in Diet and lifestyle can slow it down unless it is heredity! Diet rich in protein (chicken, fish, eggs, daal, and nuts) and 2 litre of water daily can slow it down, alcohol is certainly a NO :lol2:

groucho070
2nd February 2012, 06:55 AM
Thanks Raghu. Not bothered with what's outside my head, its the inside that matters.

PARAMASHIVAN
3rd February 2012, 05:18 PM
Thanks Raghu. Not bothered with what's outside my head, its the inside that matters.

SoftSword
3rd February 2012, 05:52 PM
பெரியவனுக்கு நாலு வயசு இருக்கும். கோயிலில் சன்னிதானத்தை சுற்றி வீற்றிருக்கும் சுவாமிகளை காட்டிக்கொண்டு செல்லுகையில்.. கிருஷ்ணர் தனது வலது இடது புறத்தில் ராதா - ருக்மணியோடு..

கேள்வி பதில் நேரம்.

அந்த ரெண்டு பேரும் யாரு?
அதுவா? ஒருத்தவங்க பேரு ராதா இன்னொருத்தவங்க ருக்மணி
அவங்க கிருஷ்ணாவுக்கு என்ன வேணும்?
ஒய்வ்!
ரெண்டு பெருமா? ஹௌ?

indha kelviyellaam naanum sinna vayasulayae ketrundhenaa, enga veetla koyilukku pora visayattha konjam korachiruppaanga...
avlo vevaram patthala :(

SoftSword
3rd February 2012, 05:54 PM
btw, singles allowed'a inga?

Plum
3rd February 2012, 06:15 PM
"Sivaji is not that great an actor" - grouch idhai kooda solliduvaar BUT ventriloquist's dummy-ai pugazha vENdi vandhaal? :shock: - bite the bullet, grouch. Be prepared for anything.

Plum
3rd February 2012, 06:17 PM
Soft - as long as you have made some one ammA, singles are allowed :)

SoftSword
3rd February 2012, 06:19 PM

yes i have, i am the first son for my parents. danks.

btw, no chatterjee here pls.
N kalyana vaazhkaila soonyam vechiradheenga :lol:

Bala (Karthik)
3rd February 2012, 06:20 PM
முடிந்தால், அனுமதி கிடைத்தால் பிரசவ அறைக்கு செல்லுங்கள். வாழ்வின் முக்கியமான தருணங்களில் மனைவியோடு இருத்தல் நிறைவாக இருக்கும். உலகிற்கு காலடி எடுத்து வைக்கும் சிசுவின் முதல் அசைவுகளை, அழுகையை கண்டு ரசிக்க கோடிக் கண்கள் பத்தாது!
Utterly humbling, nerve wracking experience :shaking: but glad i was there. 2nd ku tayathukku oorukku poga mudiyala

SoftSword
3rd February 2012, 06:22 PM
2nd ku tayathukku oorukku poga mudiyala

manam thalaraadheenga...
there is always a next time...

Kamal in MBBS: thannudaya kadamayil satrum manam thalaraadha vikramaadhitthan.....

Bala (Karthik)
3rd February 2012, 06:23 PM
:lol:

PARAMASHIVAN
3rd February 2012, 06:25 PM

Flau Vonly u Fossible :lol:

Vadivs nalla maanidar, avar yaarai ipadi ematha mattar!

SoftSword
3rd February 2012, 06:33 PM
delicate position...
idhukku naan comment pannaalum prachana, pannalenaalum prachana...

groucho070
8th February 2012, 06:57 AM
"Sivaji is not that great an actor" - grouch idhai kooda solliduvaar BUT ventriloquist's dummy-ai pugazha vENdi vandhaal? :shock: - bite the bullet, grouch. Be prepared for anything.Aye, mate. Athu yEn ingga solluringganu yosichikittirukEn.

groucho070
23rd February 2012, 10:57 AM
Alright, it's that time.

Question: Is pacifier good?
Situation: Because my son keep sucking his thumb. This on day four mind you. And the "don't make accha angry, you won't like it when accha is angry" routine has escalated to the point where he started putting additional fingers in. So, should I get him a pacifier, or just suck it up? Or get me a pacifier :sad:

directhit
23rd February 2012, 11:01 AM

yes i have, i am the first son for my parents. danks. :lol: lovely reply ha ha...

directhit
23rd February 2012, 11:04 AM
Grouch - ofc he is too young to listen to you ;) Pacifier at this age should be ok, but be warned - weaning them off it is difficult. Try to use it as sparingly as psbl.. i somehow feel american/european kids are far too dependent on pacifiers!

groucho070
23rd February 2012, 11:08 AM
Thanks DH, yeah of course he won't understand a word I am saying. Patthatharku English/Malayalam/Tamizh mix vera. Let's see what the other dads has to say...

directhit
23rd February 2012, 11:33 AM
Thanks DH, yeah of course he won't understand a word I am saying. Patthatharku English/Malayalam/Tamizh mix vera. Let's see what the other dads has to say... same here with an added mix of Tulu :-P

groucho070
23rd February 2012, 11:40 AM
:smile: Let's see if the others got Hindi in too.

Siv.S
23rd February 2012, 12:39 PM
Good thread jai :thumbsup:

Entering fatherhood after understanding your partner is the first best thing one can do.
ரொம்ப சுலபமா சொல்லிட்டிங்க. புரிஞ்சிக்கிட்டுதான் குழந்தை என்றால் நம்ம கிழவனாகிவிடுவோம். அதெல்லாம் பெரிசா எடுத்துக்காம, விதையை முளைக்க வச்சிடணும். அப்புறம் பாத்தி கட்டி, தண்ணி ஊத்தி, வேலி அமைத்து போறபோக்குல பூங்காவாக மாற்றிடலாம்.

I am currently residing in Abu Dhabi (UAE). Life is very expensive here Annual Rent
ohhh great.. Scale ithu varaikkum HUb meet vanthathilla pola... abu dhabi meet thread open panna vendithan ;)

:2thumbsup:

use kku munnaadi maati vidaradhu? throw kku munnaadi clean panradhu? indha rendukkum nadula rashes varaama paathukkaradhu .. naraya irukku :lol2:

Plum
23rd February 2012, 01:06 PM
Onyum avasaram illai. Let him suck the thumb for few months atleast. Kids suck thumbs for years - apart from dirty nails causing infections, is there any problem medically?

ajaybaskar
23rd February 2012, 01:07 PM
I was not blessed to be with my wife during the delivery. It happened all of a sudden and I was late by 4,5 hours when I reached the hospital. However, the first sight of my daughter is something that cannot be expressed. It has to be felt. :)

Rakesh bro,

Better not use any external pacifier. Thumb sucking is very much allowed till 1 year. You can try to change the habit after that. I read somewhere that preventing a baby from sucking thumb will have some adverse affects on his psychic behavior. After 1 year, the baby will have the maturity to understand that there are other factors which can pacify him.

ajaybaskar
23rd February 2012, 01:08 PM
Most children stop sucking on thumbs, pacifiers or other objects on their own between 2 and 4 years of age. No harm is done to their teeth or jaws until permanent teeth start to erupt. The only time it might cause concern is if it goes on beyond 6 to 8 years of age. At this time, it may affect the shape of the oral cavity or dentition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thumb_sucking

groucho070
23rd February 2012, 01:15 PM
Thanks Plum and Ajay. I shall take note. Plum, avasaram vonAmnA, you mean later can?

PARAMASHIVAN
23rd February 2012, 03:37 PM
Onyum avasaram illai. Let him suck the thumb for few months atleast. Kids suck thumbs for years - apart from dirty nails causing infections, is there any problem medically?

yes, it makes their gums weak, which makes the teeth wonky when they start teething. Some solid objects should be given (they sell these things in Pharmacies) to chew, which makes their gums strongly!

Bala (Karthik)
28th February 2012, 06:31 PM
http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/open-page/article2860901.ece

When my elder daughter was a KG student, most often she would come home with a complaint against the teachers. I considered the complaints an expression of the ire of a truant student. When she began to say that she was often and again caned by the mathematics teacher or the EVS teacher (Yes, it is environmental science. The children are not allowed to see the environment, but they are taught EVS!) I let the Principal know in writing that I did not agree with corporal punishment meted out to children, in general, and I particularly asked to exempt my child from mental harassment and corporal punishment. And I warned the Principal that if any teacher caned my daughter again, I would not send her to the school in future.

I did not need to wait for long. One day she came home crying and told me that she was chided and caned for not knowing the opposite of carnivorous.

A hardly five-year-old child was punished mentally and physically for not learning the antonym of carnivorous!

I met the Principal and asked to call the EVS teacher. “Madam,” I asked the teacher when she came, “At what age have you been able to know the meanings of carnivorous and herbivorous?”

The Principal interfered: “But you have sent your child here not to learn the meaning of the words at the age when the teachers learnt them.”

“OK, but what right do you have to cane my child?”

“We cane the students who don't do their homework.”

“Do you know the meaning of the word kindergarten?”

“No, and I don't need to.”

“You do need to know. The German word kindergarten means a garden of flowers. But your school seems to be a park of carnivorous people who prey on the little flowers. Henceforth my daughter is not studying in this school.”

As I sat in the bus I was thinking about who was to blame: the teacher who inflicted corporal punishment on my child or the Principal or I myself?

Why did I send my child to school even before she celebrated her 4th birthday? How could a little child learn the meaning of words like carnivorous and their opposites? Children should be allowed to observe their environment, to see the plants, the seeds, the trees, the flowers, the birds, squirrels, butterflies and should be allowed to play with Nature. Only then can they develop their own vocabulary, only then can they understand what is meant by herbivorous and what its opposite is. Only then can they grow up into healthy and dutiful individuals.

Before reaching home, I came to the conclusion that I was the culprit. I pushed my child into the arena of ‘education business', into the hands of those people for whom an educational institution is just a commercial enterprise. I decided not to send my yet-to-be-born younger one to any school before she or he celebrates the fifth birthday. When I discussed the matter with my wife, she agreed with me.

The second child is celebrating her fifth birthday in the coming March. She knows the names of almost all birds, flowers, trees, plants and animals. She knows that the stars are bigger suns; she knows that plants and trees also do have life and some of them sleep at night; but she has not been to school yet. Everybody asks why we haven't sent her to school yet and their expression is like that we have committed a horrendous crime. They tell us that we can't get her admission in any “good” school now without her having completed LKG and UKG.

A good school means any school that is not a government-owned one. I tell them that I am sending her to the GUPS in which I studied. Another horrendous crime! Can your child have standard education from such schools? Only the children of the uneducated and the poor are there in such schools now. Won't the association with the “low class” children affect the culture of your child?

Of course, she can have standard education, because in such schools there are teachers who got the job with their ability, not on the strength of their pocket. As far as culture is concerned, is the ‘culture' of self-promotion the children who are sent to the so-called ‘standard' schools attain praiseworthy? I think it is the root cause of many an evil that haunts our nation today. And I have studied in government schools and I don't think that the standard of my education is inferior to that of the products of any one of the ‘standard' schools.

Then comes the general remark — Nowadays nobody (except of course the poor) sends their children to Malayalam medium schools. My answer — Isn't Malayalam your mother tongue and do you know what Jawaharlal Nehru says in the Glimpses of World History about one's own language?

“The only way for a people to grow, for their children to learn, is through their own language.”

Bala (Karthik)
28th February 2012, 06:33 PM
Thanks DH, yeah of course he won't understand a word I am saying. Patthatharku English/Malayalam/Tamizh mix vera. Let's see what the other dads has to say...
Kudukka vendaam enbadhu en karuthu

app_engine
28th February 2012, 10:05 PM
Baby (fetus) sucks thumb inside the womb too, adhukku enna pacifier kodukka mudiyum :-)

vENdAm enbadhE en karuththum, groucho :-)

Natural is always best...(I sucked my thumb till 8th grade :oops: until a small accident - pattAsu burn - helped me escape the addiction)

PARAMASHIVAN
28th February 2012, 10:21 PM
Natural is always best...(I sucked my thumb till 8th grade :oops: until a small accident - pattAsu burn - helped me escape the addiction)

:shock:

app_engine
28th February 2012, 10:42 PM
Param,

I may be a mild (no-problem-level) OCD case :-)

psychiatrist kitta pORa aLavukku nilamai innum Akalai :-)

('thenRal vandhu theeNdum pOthu' song play paNNinA it runs in loop non-stop and I find it difficult to come out for days, for e.g.)

PARAMASHIVAN
28th February 2012, 10:46 PM
Param,

I may be a mild (no-problem-level) OCD case :-)

psychiatrist kitta pORa aLavukku nilamai innum Akalai :-)

('thenRal vandhu theeNdum pOthu' song play paNNinA it runs in loop non-stop and I find it difficult to come out for days, for e.g.)

App anna

How old were you when you were in 8th grade :roll: BTW, I know all about OCD. I still have it about Hygeine! :(

app_engine
28th February 2012, 11:11 PM
How old were you when you were in 8th grade

12...BTW, it wasn't a 24 hr habit (never in school, romba shy to do in front of others...only when reading story books etc...mom took math for me in 6th/7th/8th and one of her threats to me was 'unga class pasanga kitta nee kai sooppaRadha solliduvEn' but it didn't work) :lol:

app_engine
28th February 2012, 11:16 PM
BTW, groucho,
my son did kai sooppal for a few months until my m-i-l terrorized him one day and he stopped thereafter.

OTOH, the girl was inclined to neither viral nor pacifier -'onnum vENdAm pO' type - kaththa ArambichchA thookkittu Odi, car-ai niRuththi or specific pAttai play paNNi - pala vidhangaLil manage paNNa vENdi irundhadhu :oops:

ajaybaskar
28th February 2012, 11:17 PM
As long as it is your thumb, things work fine.

app_engine
28th February 2012, 11:17 PM

Siv.S
29th February 2012, 11:53 AM

Scale
29th February 2012, 12:27 PM
Baby (fetus) sucks thumb inside the womb too, adhukku enna pacifier kodukka mudiyum :-)

vENdAm enbadhE en karuththum, groucho :-)

Natural is always best...

+1

I heard from my grannies... that their finger tips are soaked with honey like stuff so its natural and good for them to suck their thumbs (don't know how true is that to be proved medically).

/dign
siv.s - I hardly visit other sections so don't know much what's happening. Would love to attend provided that I am in chennai its been overdue for long :( / End Dign.

Scale
29th February 2012, 12:33 PM
Congrats Groucho!!

I have never given pacifiers to both of my children. new born babies even suck their toes :-D watch them that's priceless!! encourage breast milk that's more important than all.

ajaybaskar
29th February 2012, 12:40 PM
yeah.. Even my daughter sucks her toes. And there is an old wives tale associated with it. :wink:

PARAMASHIVAN
29th February 2012, 03:16 PM
My Mum used say, people used to apply "vepenai" to thumb, so the kids dont suck it.

SoftSword
29th February 2012, 07:14 PM
one questin:

whats pacifier?

Siv.S
29th February 2012, 07:16 PM
/dign
siv.s - I hardly visit other sections so don't know much what's happening. Would love to attend provided that I am in chennai its been overdue for long :( / End Dign.
//I mean i am also residing here in abi thabi. //

PARAMASHIVAN
29th February 2012, 08:04 PM
one questin:

whats pacifier?

ithu

SoftSword
29th February 2012, 08:08 PM
rubber'nu sonnaa therinjittu pogudhu....
naan edho pacific oceran range'la yosichitu irundhen.

ajaybaskar
29th February 2012, 08:10 PM
rubber'nu sonnaa therinjittu pogudhu....
naan edho pacific oceran range'la yosichitu irundhen.

Rubberna namma oorla 100 artham irukku. Adhaan padam poattu kaamichar Params.

PARAMASHIVAN
29th February 2012, 08:11 PM

Yes, here in UK they call it dummy

SoftSword
29th February 2012, 08:14 PM

yov, otthukka mudiyaadhuyaa...
kolandhaikku rubber kudukkuradhu'na ellaarukkum theriyum...
padam enaakku theliva theriyattumnu pottu kaamichaar... neengalaam yaenya rubber'nu sollala...

littlemaster1982
29th February 2012, 08:24 PM
neengalaam yaenya rubber'nu sollala...

Ippa ungalukku edhukku idhellam :devil:

SoftSword
29th February 2012, 08:26 PM
Ippa ungalukku edhukku idhellam :devil:

enakkilla sir... friends yaarachum kettaa kudukkuradhukku...

SoftSword
29th February 2012, 08:37 PM
// adhu edutthu 6 maasam aachu paramu.. cc pls.

ajaybaskar
1st March 2012, 12:11 PM
Any idea on whether tender coconut water can be given to babies?

groucho070
1st March 2012, 12:14 PM
kolandhaikku rubber kudukkuradhu'na ellaarukkum theriyum...EllarumnA? Rejetted. Here in Malaysia, you either use Malay word "puting" (pronounced poo-thing, which actually sounds disgusting), or as my wife side refers to, "chuppi".

Bala (Karthik)
1st March 2012, 12:29 PM
Kulirchi adhigamaache? BTB, enakkum sure-a therila. Veettu periyavaingala kekkanum

groucho070
1st March 2012, 12:33 PM
Guys check this out. (http://www.babycenter.com.my/toddler/nutrition/benefitsofcoconutwater_expert/)

Periyavanggala vida doctor-A thAn ketkanum. Periyavangga out of date.

Grouch's mom: "Kumar"nu pEru venAm. Babykku nallathilla.
Grouch: Nan doctor kitta check pannikirEn
Grouch's mom: :hammer:

ajaybaskar
1st March 2012, 12:35 PM
The heat is going up with the day here in Chennai. Poor thing is so tired the whole day and had an urinary infection last week. A/c wont work with an inverter 'ON'. TC Water is an ideal drink for grown ups in this scenario but I am quite not sure about that with babies.

groucho070
1st March 2012, 12:40 PM
Poor girl :sad: Check the link (http://www.babycenter.com.my/toddler/nutrition/benefitsofcoconutwater_expert/)out, Ajay. Maybe try a little.

ajaybaskar
1st March 2012, 12:42 PM
Thanks, bro :) Makes some sense.

Bala (Karthik)
1st March 2012, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the link Grouch.

The heat is going up with the day here in Chennai. Poor thing is so tired the whole day and had an urinary infection last week. A/c wont work with an inverter 'ON'. TC Water is an ideal drink for grown ups in this scenario but I am quite not sure about that with babies.
Oh. If you aren't doing so already, please give her sitz bath for around 1/2 hour a day (warm water, konjam hot-a irundha better).

ajaybaskar
1st March 2012, 01:12 PM
Oh,cool. Anyways she likes bathing and this will amuse her for sure. :)

PARAMASHIVAN
1st March 2012, 03:29 PM

Ilaneer?? I am not sure. but you can give baby Yoghurts to cool her down

SoftSword
1st March 2012, 04:02 PM
EllarumnA? Rejetted. Here in Malaysia, you either use Malay word "puting" (pronounced poo-thing, which actually sounds disgusting), or as my wife side refers to, "chuppi".

yo grouse...
vitta ricky ponting, clint eastwood'ku ellaam theriyadhunu solluveenga pola...
namma ooru, namma baashai, namma padangal paatthu valandha makkal'a sonen...

ok some serious discussion going bet ajay and bala... naan vilambara idaivelai'la varen...

Scale
2nd March 2012, 10:33 AM
//Good to know that siv.s kandippa meet pannuvom.. check pm//

SoftSword
2nd March 2012, 04:32 PM
time runs out for those who want to become a dad on 12-12-12...
pls do the needful!!

P_R
2nd March 2012, 04:37 PM
pls do the needful!! :rotfl:

enna oru advance thinging.

PARAMASHIVAN
2nd March 2012, 05:20 PM
pls do the needful!!

Timing may not Perfect, but try pannalam :yessir:

directhit
2nd March 2012, 05:23 PM
pls do the needful!! :lol:

between my nephew was born on 12th Dec :-P

groucho070
15th March 2012, 08:00 AM
Kosteen: Best methods to make him burp. I'd put him over my shoulder, like what they do to coats in the old films, and either massage his back, or tap lightly. But really, takes a long time or not at all. Then, when putting him to sleep, appO varum thedeernu, sometimes vomitting milk out too. Any other methods?

ajaybaskar
16th March 2012, 09:07 AM
Bro,

After the little one is fed, put him on your shoulder as you now do and pat him on the back. Neither strong nor gentle. In such a way that it doesn't pain. It will help. Gripe water once a day will also help his digestion. But give it only after getting advised by his physician.

ajaybaskar
16th March 2012, 09:12 AM
Second thing, vomiting once or twice in a day is common for all infants. Things will be fine as long as they don't throw up their whole intake and run out of fluids.

groucho070
16th March 2012, 09:13 AM
Thanks, I did pat, as you say, neither gentle nor strong. But Gripe water angle yOsikkala. Will check with the doctors on that one, thanks again bro.

ajaybaskar
16th March 2012, 09:18 AM
Always welcome, bro. My wife pats my kid in such a way that it makes everybody in the room burp. Once Nevin's backbone becomes quite strong, you can make him sit sideways on your lap and then pat. It will be more effective than the shoulder pat.

groucho070
16th March 2012, 09:21 AM
My wife pats my kid in such a way that it makes everybody in the room burp. .:lol: at times, I'd pace around the room, telling some really bad stories, payyan torture tAngga mudiyAma burp pannuvAnnu oru nambikkai, and it happens occasionally.
grouch: In 1986, baby, accha was beginning to be interested in James Bond. You see.....
nevin: noooooo, burrrrp.....

ajaybaskar
16th March 2012, 09:24 AM

Bala (Karthik)
16th March 2012, 10:08 AM
Kosteen: Best methods to make him burp. I'd put him over my shoulder, like what they do to coats in the old films, and either massage his back, or tap lightly. But really, takes a long time or not at all. Then, when putting him to sleep, appO varum thedeernu, sometimes vomitting milk out too. Any other methods?
Oralavukku firm-a pannalaam. First day hospital-la nurse thattradha paatha naama arandruvom (India la), but it works. IMVHO, idhu wife-gal department, namakku skill pathaadhu
BTW, kakkaradhu (as against vaandhi) nalladhu nu periyavanga solluvaanga

groucho070
16th March 2012, 10:58 AM
Thanks, Bala. Yeah, more of kakkal, rather than vAnthi. Sometimes it comes through nose, first panicked, but used to it. We take turn on it, depending on who's feeding.

ajaybaskar
16th March 2012, 11:36 AM
Is he bottlefed this early?

groucho070
16th March 2012, 11:40 AM
Daytime.

Bala (Karthik)
16th March 2012, 01:49 PM
Groucho
Disclaimer: (Assuming you mean formula by bottle) Surely you know all this already. Plus, i don't know the specifics of your circumstances but still, this point can never be overstressed. Not applicable na mannikkavum

Formula-va top-up ku mattum use pannunga, mudinja varaikkum. As in, if natural is not enough for him, appo extra kaaga kudunga. Kudukka kudukka dhaan irukka seyyum.

groucho070
16th March 2012, 02:22 PM
Point noted, Bala, thanks again. and ethukku mannipellAm :smile:

ajaybaskar
16th March 2012, 03:16 PM
Hope this helps.. (http://kidshealth.org/parent/pregnancy_newborn/breastfeed/burping.html)

groucho070
16th March 2012, 03:32 PM
Thanks Ajay. My baby should now be freed from bad raconteuring and pathetic singing. Grouch Jr: His rendition of VaaVaa Vasanthame will make MV haunt IR for coming up with that song in the first place.

Bala (Karthik)
16th March 2012, 04:13 PM
:lol: @ Vaa Vaa Vasanthame. Indha madhiri neraya "stop it" vaangirukken from my elder daughter.
Speaking of MV, one of her favorite songs used to be my rendition (:lol2: ) of "Alli thandha boomi" - she used to think/sing "Alli palli booni"

Plum
16th March 2012, 04:18 PM
Grouch and Bala - :lol:. I just about managed to push through laali laali. Firm rejection of everything else. Stubborn girl :evil:

Bala (Karthik)
16th March 2012, 04:25 PM
:thumbsup: @ laali laali

Her favorites - First (as in earliest) favorite na VTV dhaan. Andha padathula endha paattu vandhaalum oru frame la "Osanna" nu solliduva.
Apparam Manmadhan Ambu all songs :lol:
Raaja la "Idhu oru nilaa kaalam" (Lo lo lo lo counterpoint naanum wife-um serthu kudukkaradhu :lol: ), Rambambam, Ilamai Idho idho, Kaattu vazhi (Adhu oru kana kalam), Alli thandha. So far so good, thinikkaama avalukkaa pudikkidhu

SoftSword
16th March 2012, 06:43 PM
dangerous bala.
trash fan in the making... now swallow it.. :lol:

unga ponnu paada... neenga rendu perum counter point... aagaaa... sangeedha kudumbam... 'aanandha kuyilin paatu' practice pannunga... airportla thedradhukku vasadhiyaa irukkum...

groucho070
19th March 2012, 06:23 AM
Bala :lol: Alli Palli booni :lol:

ajaybaskar
22nd June 2012, 10:27 AM
Are Baby walkers good? Mixed comments all over the net.. :roll:

app_engine
22nd June 2012, 09:18 PM

Not just good, they're necessary for nucleus families when you don't have someone to watch them every second...

PARAMASHIVAN
22nd June 2012, 09:27 PM

Yes, It will improve their walking and make them start to walk sooner than normal

rajraj
22nd June 2012, 09:43 PM
ungaLukku ethanai kuzhandhaigaL? :lol:

Yes, It will improve their walking and make them start to walk sooner than normal

San_K
22nd June 2012, 09:52 PM

I used walkers (round size) just for for adakkufying my child :lol:. My and my wife parents were/are not with our home and I won't be in home @ office hourse, so kuzhanthaiyoda attagasatha adakku walker-la pottutu my wife will cook and do other works. ennoda anubavathula olliya irukkura kuzhanthaigal seekiram nadakka aarambithu viduvaargal (bone body weighta thaangum).

PARAMASHIVAN
22nd June 2012, 09:53 PM
ungaLukku ethanai kuzhandhaigaL? :lol:

Emmaku intha Boomyil ulla athanai Jeevarasigallum Kuzhanthaigal thaan MahanE :poke:

jaiganes
22nd June 2012, 09:54 PM
I would recommend assisted walking by humans first, then let the child walk holding strong objects like sofa - then when the baby's balance gets good, have him/her walk holding the wall. all of this works only by placing "toys" or other attractions along the way or have mom or dad call out..
Some baby walkers are bad (as they have a built in seat that is too comfortable for the baby to sit and cruise and takes out the drive to walk on own).
The old fashioned baby walkers (wooden ones made by our indian carpenters- sturdy enough for the baby to put their weights through their hands) is what I would recommend.

San_K
22nd June 2012, 10:25 PM
The old fashioned baby walkers (wooden ones made by our indian carpenters- sturdy enough for the baby to put their weights through their hands) is what I would recommend.

Yes this is the best, cheap and safety too

KlamRoyA
22nd June 2012, 11:37 PM
Ajay for u

http://tamil.boldsky.com/pregnancy-parenting/baby/2012/when-baby-starts-crawling-001420.html

app_engine
23rd June 2012, 01:12 AM
Like I posted before & San_K's experience, walkers (not the traditional ones but the arrestors) are mainly for safety while also allowing some movement for the thuru-thuru child, when parents are engaged in other tasks.

Parent-assisted-walking is obviously the best method to train walking, time has to be allotted for that as well.

Child may start walking (assisted) even by 8th month. OTOH, it's not unusual for some children to not take the step even in 12th month. Nothing to panic about it - thavazhndhA thavazhattum. They'll eventually get to that...the main concern is avoiding dangerous accidents (like rolling off of a stair case, unfortunately even that happened with my son but he escaped with minor bruises and some 'arnica')

ajaybaskar
23rd June 2012, 07:44 AM
Thanks guys.. :)

Checked with the doc too. He said nothing wrong using walkers, if used for shorter periods - say 30 min. Only worry is the alarming number of accidents while using walkers.

jaiganes
25th June 2012, 09:12 PM
Thanks guys.. :)

Checked with the doc too. He said nothing wrong using walkers, if used for shorter periods - say 30 min. Only worry is the alarming number of accidents while using walkers.
make sure u tape off electrical sockets in the baby walking area..

app_engine
25th June 2012, 11:37 PM
make sure u tape off electrical sockets in the baby walking area..

The plastic dummy plugs are a much better alternative (at times, not easy even for us to remove them).

In the 110V socket outlets, however, this is more out of paranoia than out of real concern. (I mean, if children don't happen to grab metal objects -ofcourse one cannot take chances like that).

OTOH, it's a real problem with the 230V sockets (where it's definitely possible for children to even poke their fingers in, let alone deal with metal objects). There are 3 pin sockets where the L-N holes are blocked with spring loaded insulators and won't open until "earth" pin of the plug is inserted. Those are really the safest!

(BTW, these measures still don't ensure 100% safety from electrical shocks to children :oops: Both my kids had shock while trying to unplug music players, touching the metal portion while doing so, with partial unplugging.

Possibly didn't like the music I was listening to :wink:)

kid-glove
30th June 2012, 02:33 AM
Safe knowledge that this thread will turn in to pensioner's corner in 50 years, I'd expect this to be true of kids you guys name after celebrities

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxBBN3ZnYeU&feature=player_embedded

rajraj
6th August 2012, 02:08 AM
An article from NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/05/opinion/sunday/raising-successful-children.html?_r=1&src=me&ref=general

The key here is avoiding 'overparenting' ! :) That is not easy for Indians.

inazerowmo
25th August 2012, 01:22 PM
Everyday I am having a stressful life managing both office and home I strictly avoid calls or any outside assignments during evening just only to take care of kids.

no more music cant go to movies with kids like before, no sports, no friends get to gether. Office-a vitta veedu veetta vitta office.
A working mom's life is no different.;-)

Bala (Karthik)
30th August 2012, 10:29 AM
An article from NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/05/opinion/sunday/raising-successful-children.html?_r=1&src=me&ref=general

The key here is avoiding 'overparenting' ! :) That is not easy for Indians.
Thanks Sir