PDA

View Full Version : Meaning of the word "Karnadagam" in Tamil

Chappani
26th April 2012, 04:52 PM
Friends,

I have heard the Phrase - Suddha Karnadagam - when we want to point to something as NOT future thinking.
Wanted to know what is the true meaning of word Karnadagam.
If someone can pass on info as to how this got associated to State Karnataka would be nice.

Please flood in with your thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Chappu

NOV
26th April 2012, 05:17 PM
I have heard the Phrase - Suddha Karnadagam - when we want to point to something as NOT future thinking.AFAIK, it means old-fashioned.

Balaji.r
26th April 2012, 05:57 PM
Out dated / old fashioned etc etc

SoftSword
26th April 2012, 06:02 PM
he asked the reason for that usage...

Balaji.r
26th April 2012, 06:18 PM
ay, just read his full post. How he linked karnadagam to karnataka?

NOV
26th April 2012, 06:20 PM
He also asked for the meaning...
Wanted to know what is the true meaning of word Karnadagam.
but I dont know why... :ashamed:

rsubras
27th April 2012, 02:39 PM
May be antha kaalathu music = carnatic sangeetham, in mathematical terms music and sangeetham gets striked out, implying antha kaalathu = carnatic (maruvi ya version -> Karnadagam) -> old fashioned

this is just my assumption......like they say hyder ali kaalathu, british kaalathu, gandhi kaalathu etc.,

Chappani
27th April 2012, 03:23 PM
Thanks for your replies.
Please differing/ thinking otherwise please flood in with your thoughts...

Thanks,

Chappani

NOV
27th April 2012, 05:02 PM
karnaadam to kannadam is a bit of stretch I think....

SoftSword
27th April 2012, 05:30 PM
something in the meaning of old, ancient, traditional...
karnataka sanheetham also similarly...

old days when all the southern states were together, this cud be the name given to some traditional town which later was formed as karnataka...

rajraj
30th April 2012, 08:25 AM
Interesting question! :)

I think karnatakam is a variation of karunadu. karunadu->karnad-> karnadakam.
karunadu means black/dark land/soil. Karnataka is known to grow more cotton than most other states because it has black soil suitable for growing cotton. It makes sense.

Another interpretation is that people south of the Vindhyas were known as dark skinned. Not sure this holds well! :lol:

Karnatic music has nothing to do with karnataka. That is a myth created by people who do not know the history of music in India. In case you are not aware, Thevaram hymns were the first to be set to music(ragas) by the composers -appar, sundharar and sambandhar. Current lingusitic chauvinism in the South won't let people accept it ! :( Thevaram was also the beginning of bhakthi movement in India and it enabled common man to sing in praise of gods.

San_K
30th April 2012, 01:35 PM
May be antha kaalathu music = carnatic sangeetham, in mathematical terms music and sangeetham gets striked out, implying antha kaalathu = carnatic (maruvi ya version -> Karnadagam) -> old fashioned

this is just my assumption......like they say hyder ali kaalathu, british kaalathu, gandhi kaalathu etc.,

comedy pannatheenga, karunadagam than sutha original word, carnatic than maruviya word (for english)

San_K
30th April 2012, 01:38 PM
Interesting question! :)

I think karnatakam is a variation of karunadu. karunadu->karnad-> karnadakam.
karunadu means black/dark land/soil. Karnataka is known to grow more cotton than most other states because it has black soil suitable for growing cotton. It makes sense.

Another interpretation is that people south of the Vindhyas were known as dark skinned. Not sure this holds well! :lol:

wov. so carnatic music by dark (mens') nadu? :P

Karnatic music has nothing to do with karnataka. That is a myth created by people who do not know the history of music in India. In case you are not aware, Thevaram hymns were the first to be set to music(ragas) by the composers -appar, sundharar and sambandhar. Current lingusitic chauvinism in the South won't let people accept it ! :sad: Thevaram was also the beginning of bhakthi movement in India and it enabled common man to sing in praise of gods.

:D

rsubras
30th April 2012, 01:52 PM
comedy pannatheenga, karunadagam than sutha original word, carnatic than maruviya word (for english)

my mishtake :) antha oru blip mattum vachittu ottu motha statement um comedy nu solliteengalae San :)

San_K
30th April 2012, 05:40 PM
rsubras (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/member.php?1250-rsubras), i would have edited the quote :)

Shakthiprabha
30th April 2012, 10:10 PM
karnataka is from kannada words karu + nadu meaning "elevated land" (structurally...ie. altitude)

Any habit which is referred with reverence and respect might have been said "karnatakam" meaning "olden or traditional" (elevated?)

later, usage I assume, diversified.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karnataka

Chappani
3rd May 2012, 10:29 AM
Thanks for your replies.

Hi Sakthi,

Nice to see you back in forum, I fact I was off for sometime now - busy with work and Family...

Shakthiprabha
9th May 2012, 10:50 AM
hi chappani,

I am around only in specific sections...nice to see u too :) keep coming.

Punnaimaran
9th May 2012, 11:59 AM
I have heard rajraj sir's explanation from somebody long back and was convinced. Also you might want to look at bis_mala's explanation from here.
http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?4124-TAMIL-W0RD-DEVELOPMENT/page31

Chappani
14th May 2012, 10:20 AM
Thanks Punnaimaran - this helps...