PDA

View Full Version : Tamil Cinema Shooting Locations and Budgets (Discussion)

Ilayathalapathy Fan
31st May 2012, 07:19 PM
USE THIS THREAD TO DISCUSS ANY INFORMATION RELATED TO TAMIL CINEMA'S SHOOTING LOCATIONS AND BUDGETS FOR EXAMPLE LIKE HATTORI HANZO SUGGESTED THOSE WHO WANT TO KNOW THE SHOOTING LOCATIONS OF PARTICULAR SCENES IN MOVIES CAN POST THOSE SCENES HERE AND ASK WHERE THE PLACES ARE LOCATED :)

MY first post:

Friends,

I see these days that the quality of locations is reducing in many films even despite having big budgets the location quality is reducing in films. Whether medium or small or big i beleive audiences deserve good locations for the price they pay to go see a film. If you see even commercial films like Velayudham with 50 crore has wasted budget on poor locations like villages even though they spent 50 crores. Films like Vaagai Sooda Va, Vazhakku En 18/9, and Marina are low budgets but have extremely poor locations. Even with a small budget you can shoot in good locations and we have done it in many films in the golden periods of 80s, 90s, 2000s and all. Even if you want they want to show a village they can show it more beautifully for cinema if they want but they chose to focus on poorer locations these days where its not aesthetic. For Ex Panchatantiram was not a big budget film but the locations were atleast appealing to the eyes. Even though our budgets are increasing more and more what is the point unless we utilize it in appealing locations. There is no point of having 70 crores if we can't make it look like that. There are some films however we can praise for decnet locations in recent times like 180, Muran, Kadhalin Sodhapavadu Yeppadi, unnai pol oruvan, billa 2 Neethane EN Ponvasantham, Vinnaithandi Varuvaya etc. I personally feel that location is equally as important as the script and direction. If the location is not good it can make a viewer turn away from a film. What are your views on this???

Parthyy
31st May 2012, 08:01 PM
OMG EPIC ROFL :rotfl:

Bala (Karthik)
31st May 2012, 08:05 PM
Oh inga irukka indha post, yeah EPIC :yes: :rotfl:

Ilayathalapathy Fan
31st May 2012, 08:08 PM
OMG EPIC ROFL :rotfl:

What is your opinion on this how is it funny is there anything wrong with what i said?

Anban
31st May 2012, 08:30 PM
you just have to be Mr. Sudarsh Krishnan ..

joe
31st May 2012, 08:35 PM
Films like Vaagai Sooda Va, Vazhakku En 18/9, and Marina are low budgets but have extremely poor locations.

அந்த இட்லிக்கடையை இமயமலைல ஷூட் பண்ணிருக்கலாம்ண்ணு சொல்லுறீங்களா ? :lol:

Ilayathalapathy Fan
31st May 2012, 08:36 PM

i cannot read tamil if u would be kind enough to translate your post to english it would be appreciated.

Mahen
31st May 2012, 08:38 PM
Enna oru topic..ithule discussion vera :banghead:
U expect movies like vazhaku to have Kashmir as backdrop?

Ilayathalapathy Fan
31st May 2012, 08:40 PM
Enna oru topic..ithule discussion vera :banghead:
U expect movies like vazhaku to have Kashmir as backdrop?

well i wouldn't want them to make films like that in first place for commercial purposes if they were doing it with a benefit where it helps the poor through a charity or something i can understand but i feel its sort of insulting to use the image of the poor to make a profit. Instead of that they can select a better story with good locations even if its a village for ex see engeyum eppodhum it was more decent in locations.

selvakumar
31st May 2012, 08:43 PM
i cannot read tamil if u would be kind enough to translate your post to english it would be appreciated.

Translation : Are you (Ilayathalapathy fan) suggesting that the idly shop in Vazhakku en location should have been Himalayas?

Saai
31st May 2012, 08:43 PM

He asks if the idli shop in Vazhakku en movie can be shot in Himalayas..

but..idli aari poyidhadhu? ...

selvakumar
31st May 2012, 08:44 PM
He asks if the idli shop in Vazhakku en movie can be shot in Himalayas..

Atha.. electric aduppu irukku.. Buffet styla la koduppoem..

Balaji.r
31st May 2012, 08:50 PM
:rotfl:

Bala (Karthik)
31st May 2012, 08:51 PM
cute_karthik-um join pannaar na indha thread muzhumai perum. At a time la two-pronged pace attack :yes:

Ilayathalapathy Fan
31st May 2012, 08:52 PM
Translation : Are you (Ilayathalapathy fan) suggesting that the idly shop in Vazhakku en location should have been Himalayas?

thx for the translation but just cause of my username and poster you dont have to assume things infact even for vijay i want to see him in good projects not masalas but regardless of that you can stil shoot villages in a more attractive way is what im trying to say.

I understand most of you find this funny because you will reason out with me that based on the story they will select whatever location they want but my point is why so many of these acclaimed films always have to be about poverty? I can understand once or twice but this seems to be the main focus for acclaimed scripts today.

selvakumar
31st May 2012, 08:58 PM
thx for the translation but just cause of my username and poster you dont have to assume things infact even for vijay i want to see him in good projects not masalas but regardless of that you can stil shoot villages in a more attractive way is what im trying to say.

:roll: :lol:

Ilayathalapathy Fan
31st May 2012, 09:02 PM
I understand most of you find this funny because you will reason out with me that based on the story they will select whatever location they want but my point is why so many of these acclaimed films always have to be about poverty? I can understand once or twice but this seems to be the main focus for acclaimed scripts today.

selvakumar
31st May 2012, 09:03 PM
ITV, Believe me. I didn't find it funny at least. I agree with your posts. We should actually "demand" the theater operator to return the money. How can we do this? Do you have any suggestions?

hattori_hanzo
31st May 2012, 09:06 PM
IlayaThalapathy Fan, Why don't you make use of this thread to know where the scenes are shot? If we like a particular place shown in a movie scene and want to know where exactly it is, we ask others and get to know about it here, so that we can visit the same? Just an idea :roll:

For example, the rocky beach in Vasool Raja where Kamal, Prabhu & Karunas discuss their action plan. I've seen this beach in many movies but would like to know where it is. Konjam usefula irukkume :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaniuCFKH5Y

Ilayathalapathy Fan
31st May 2012, 09:07 PM
ITV, Believe me. I didn't find it funny at least. I agree with your posts. We should actually "demand" the theater operator to return the money. How can we do this? Do you have any suggestions?

If you didn't find it funny you wouldnt be putting emoticons with rolling eyes would you :P Obviously only way we can change this if audiences start demanding for good locations in films after all it is a film not a documentary if you were taking a documentary on the poor i can understand but this is still commercial cinema.

Ilayathalapathy Fan
31st May 2012, 09:08 PM
IlayaThalapathy Fan, Why don't you make use of this thread to know where the scenes are shot? If we like a particular place shown in a movie scene and want to know where exactly it is, we ask others and get to know about it here, so that we can visit the same? Just an idea :roll:

For example, the rocky beach in Vasool Raja where Kamal, Prabhu & Karunas discuss their action plan. I've seen this beach in many movies but would like to know where it is. Konjam usefula irukkume :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaniuCFKH5Y

Sure thats why i termed it discussion... mine was just a view point if you want i can edit the front page.

selvakumar
31st May 2012, 09:12 PM
That rocky beach is in Mumbai (I guess)

Ilayathalapathy Fan
31st May 2012, 09:13 PM
What is the location of the park Madhavan and Reema Sen are in in minnale when madhavan surprises reema seen. That location is so beautiful does anyone know?

selvakumar
31st May 2012, 09:13 PM
If you didn't find it funny you wouldnt be putting emoticons with rolling eyes would you :P Obviously only way we can change this if audiences start demanding for good locations in films after all it is a film not a documentary if you were taking a documentary on the poor i can understand but this is still commercial cinema.
That was for how you read that post. You asked for translation. Joe was addressing it to you. I don't know your name and we go by handles here. :huh:

Puriyalena vitrunga :)

Ilayathalapathy Fan
31st May 2012, 09:15 PM
That was for how you read that post. You asked for translation. Joe was addressing it to you. I don't know your name and we go by handles here. :huh:

Puriyalena vitrunga :)

Oh ok lol i thought he said it like that anyways its all cool :) I don't take anything to heart. Cheers :)

hattori_hanzo
31st May 2012, 09:16 PM
Juhu-va? ECR/Pondy pakkam nenachen. Thanks Selva. One such place which was in my mind for a long time was the bridge shown in 'Oh Sona' song (Vaali). It is also the place where Surya & Madhavan clash in Yuva. Only recently, I got to visit this location - Broken Bridge, Adyar.

V_S
31st May 2012, 09:40 PM
Sudarsh,
You are not alone. There are many think like that. Except for your location concerns, I agree with you. Location is decided by the script, I think you would also agree with that. I think your point is not just because of locations, it is much more than that. You are more concerned about the script which chooses those locations. In that case, the thread title does not match your concern.

Many I know also does not like to watch films like these which are very real. Even sometimes, it puts me off just because of too much violence shown (even if they are real), but other things like poverty does not concern me. That depends on each one's perception. If they undergo so much problems in their life, why spend and take more hurt from films. I don't blame them. For others who like to know the real or very close to real will definitely like these movies. Film like these are mirrors of our society. But to your point, not many films are in this category, unlike you observed. There are also films like Nanban, Vettai, Dhoni, Marina, OKOK, KSY, Muppozhudum Un Karpanaigal, Kazhugu, Kalakalappu (all this year films) which are regular every year.

I too agree to some extent that films like these (VE 18/9, Kaadhal, Subramaniapuram, Paruthiveeran, AadukaLam, Angadi Theru, Mynaa) gets more noticed (for strikingly different and hard-hitting) and acclaimed nowadays, even it we like it or not.

There are always films for us and not for us, we have to choose them correctly.

hattori_hanzo
31st May 2012, 09:44 PM
The dungeon-like pub shown in the opening scene of Eesan - is that a real one or a set? They show the name in the movie, but I do not recollect it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDeqUzIZqlc

Ilayathalapathy Fan
31st May 2012, 09:46 PM
Sudarsh,
You are not alone. There are many think like that. Except for your location concerns, I agree with you. Location is decided by the script, I think you would also agree with that. I think your point is not just because of locations, it is much more than that. You are more concerned about the script which chooses those locations. In that case, the thread title does not match your concern.

Many I know also does not like to watch films like these which are very real. Even sometimes, it puts me off just because of too much violence shown (even if they are real), but other things like poverty does not concern me. That depends on each one's perception. If they undergo so much problems in their life, why spend and take more hurt from films. I don't blame them. For others who like to know the real or very close to real will definitely like these movies. Film like these are mirrors of our society. But to your point, not many films are in this category, unlike you observed. There are also films like Nanban, Vettai, Dhoni, Marina, OKOK, KSY, Muppozhudum Un Karpanaigal, Kazhugu, Kalakalappu (all this year films) which are regular every year.

I too agree to some extent that films like these (VE 18/9, Kaadhal, Subramaniapuram, Paruthiveeran, AadukaLam, Angadi Theru, Mynaa) gets more noticed (for strikingly different and hard-hitting) and acclaimed nowadays, even it we like it or not.

There are always films for us and not for us, we have to choose them correctly.

Well said my other point is eveb whn big budgets are given we can utilize it much better for ex see velauidham 50 cr but is script deisned as 50 cr?

littlemaster1982
31st May 2012, 09:47 PM
The dungeon-like pub shown in the opening scene of Eesan - is that a real one or a set? They show the name in the movie, but I do not recollect it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDeqUzIZqlc

Kugai, IIRC.

hattori_hanzo
31st May 2012, 09:51 PM
Yeah u r right, LM. Thanks. Is it on East Coast Road?

PARAMASHIVAN
31st May 2012, 09:57 PM

I yaam the Cook in Himalayas as I reside there :lol:

Ilayathalapathy Fan
31st May 2012, 10:01 PM
I yaam the Cook in Himalayas as I reside there :lol:

Vaanga sir long tine since we spoke

PARAMASHIVAN
31st May 2012, 10:09 PM
Vaanga sir long tine since we spoke

:lol:

OK Intha location pirachani pathi sollunga ? Locations are chosen according to situations so they don't have to be beautiful or Glamour . It is as simple as that .

Ilayathalapathy Fan
31st May 2012, 10:13 PM
:lol:

OK Intha location pirachani pathi sollunga ? Locations are chosen according to situations so they don't have to be beautifill or Glamour . It is as simple as that .

Lol i know but these days these acclaimed films always lpcation is mostly poor. Once or twice fine but always thes locations???? they can chose.better stproes tht have good lpcations for ex see in malli cinema rven a village is shown brautifully.

Nerd
31st May 2012, 11:00 PM
cute_karthik-um join pannaar na indha thread muzhumai perum. At a time la two-pronged pace attack :yes:
:lol: Avarukku badhilaaa Paramu vandhuttaaha.

Ilayathalapathy Fan
31st May 2012, 11:09 PM
:lol: Avarukku badhilaaa Paramu vandhuttaaha.

Nerd good to see u sfter long tine how r u?

lydayaxobia493
31st May 2012, 11:52 PM
Juhu-va? ECR/Pondy pakkam nenachen. Thanks Selva. One such place which was in my mind for a long time was the bridge shown in 'Oh Sona' song (Vaali). It is also the place where Surya & Madhavan clash in Yuva. Only recently, I got to visit this location - Broken Bridge, Adyar.

Chennai-28 la kooda varume... during Jai,siva & premji scene abt gal luv matter.. :)

lydayaxobia493
1st June 2012, 12:01 AM
Lik to knw the location where many maniratnam movies come..

Raakkamma kaiyathattu song - Thalabathi movie..
same location u can c in "Barso re" song - Guru movie..
same location u can c in "Minnalai Pidithu" song - Shajahan movie..

http://www.clubmahindrablog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/4.jpg

hattori_hanzo
1st June 2012, 12:07 AM
Chennai-28 la kooda varume... during Jai,siva & premji scene abt gal luv matter.. :)

Yes. Its about 5 mins drive from Elliots Beach. You have to go via a kuppam in Besant Nagar to reach this place. Frequented by those who prefer open and calm place to booze & of course, lovers.

littlemaster1982
1st June 2012, 11:00 AM
Yeah u r right, LM. Thanks. Is it on East Coast Road?

I haven't heard of such a restaurant/pub in ECR. Oru velai set-a irukkalam :roll:

balaajee
1st June 2012, 02:11 PM
I haven't heard of such a restaurant/pub in ECR. Oru velai set-a irukkalam :roll:

Its not in chennai, its in bangalore/hydrabad (can't remember exactly) as per SASIKUMAR in an magazine interview. The pub name board is cinema set.

19thmay
1st June 2012, 02:27 PM

... :lol:

Yosichu paarunga, that guy driving that tricycle with water pots in snowfall and "Vaanathaye ettipidhcen..." in background. So the school kids in the apartments lives in a chain of tents here?

HonestRaj
1st June 2012, 03:07 PM
Easan song location'ah...

its in Bangalore.. Guhanthara its name.. i've gone there once..

selvakumar
1st June 2012, 03:12 PM
In Lesa Lesa, they will show Shyam and everyone in some weird costume. I think the director would have initially planned to shoot the film in Scotland.

19thmay
1st June 2012, 03:19 PM
Honest - But andha road [last-la varume] ECR and ECR-OMR connecting road.

lydayaxobia493
1st June 2012, 03:20 PM
Easan song location'ah...

its in Bangalore.. Guhanthara its name.. i've gone there once..

// pub kku pora pazhakkam na irukka ungalukku... nadathunga..

HonestRaj
1st June 2012, 03:23 PM
adhu continuity'kaga add panniruppanga
nanga ange ponappa friends'um sonnanga idhu eesan'la varra idamnu..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/prateekb/3705517790/

will check the song video..

HonestRaj
1st June 2012, 03:25 PM
// pub kku pora pazhakkam na irukka ungalukku... nadathunga..

thats a resort kind of place..
office team outing.. team building activity..

HonestRaj
1st June 2012, 03:31 PM
one of the comment in youtube:

nice song...this location looks like Guhantara resort near Bangalore....

hattori_hanzo
1st June 2012, 04:01 PM
one of the comment in youtube:

nice song...this location looks like Guhantara resort near Bangalore....

Honest (and Balajee), thanks for the reply & link! thats some real useful piece of info. :thumbsup:

The photo uploaded by Rockstar is also an interesting location. Yaaravadhu therinja sollunga. Maniratnam is a genius in spotting locations within India and using them in the right manner(ex: Museum in Thiruda Thiruda). How about the beach in his Kannathil Muthamittaal? (Deivam thandha poove..)

Cinemarasigan
1st June 2012, 04:12 PM
Juhu-va? ECR/Pondy pakkam nenachen..

At the end of Marine Drive.. about 200 meters from Oberoi / Air India building on the Marine drive...

littlemaster1982
1st June 2012, 06:25 PM
The photo uploaded by Rockstar is also an interesting location. Yaaravadhu therinja sollunga.

He also shot Thiruda Thiruda there. Endha idam-nu kandupidikka mudiyala :|

wizzy
1st June 2012, 07:29 PM
He also shot Thiruda Thiruda there. Endha idam-nu kandupidikka mudiyala :|

Rayagopura from Melukota :huh:

Anban
1st June 2012, 08:15 PM
Lik to knw the location where many maniratnam movies come..

Raakkamma kaiyathattu song - Thalabathi movie..
same location u can c in "Barso re" song - Guru movie..
same location u can c in "Minnalai Pidithu" song - Shajahan movie..

http://www.clubmahindrablog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/4.jpg
Maammallapuram ..

KV
1st June 2012, 10:08 PM
that's mElkOtE... possibly one of Mani's favourite locations, considering the number of times he's used it in his films.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/redbull/1478767647/

littlemaster1982
2nd June 2012, 09:56 PM
:ty: Wizzy/KV :D