Page 154 of 202 FirstFirst ... 54104144152153154155156164 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,540 of 2012

Thread: Tennis Forever

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations to Marin for winning the US Open championship!

Congratulations to Kei and Marin for changing the face of tennis!

I'm happy Arvind, that you had a good time at the match!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    “I think I showed my potential that I can beat anybody now, so if I can keep training hard and also practise hard, I think I will have more chances coming up". “There are a lot of things – positive things – that I learned from these two weeks. I didn't expect anything coming here. [Coming into the tournament] I was injured and practised little. There are so many positive things that I can take away from these two weeks in beating Stan and Novak again. I’m disappointed of course today, but it was a very good two weeks.”

-Kei Nishikori, after the match.

4. Likes venkkiram liked this post
    Junior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Caught the highlights. A fresher Nishikori may have pushed it to four but I don't know that anybody could have stopped Cilic in that kind of form. Even the power hitters who 'reigned' during Federer's peak never produced such a big game. This was massive. I hate to say it but he pretty much did to Nishikori what Kvitova did to Bouchard at Wimbledon. Just totally flattened his opponent. Was again reminded of Del Potro but what's even more lethal about Cilic is he moves better and is a lot more eager to come to the net. Generally also positions himself more aggressively, closer to the baseline. Remains to be seen whether this is a one of a kind dream performance for him or if he can possibly sustain this level in future. If he can, though, he has time on his side and could haunt the big four as well as other top players, especially on fast surfaces.

6. Likes venkkiram liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tennis fans fear end of golden era, but show goes on

"Where's Djokovic? Federer? Thought he'd be here. How about that Scottish dude...Murray. Nadal??? What the heck?!!!"

-The times of India (from Reuters)

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/s...w/42097196.cms

Post Thanks / Like
    Whether fans like it or not, at least two members of the Big Four are gradually going to drop out of it - Murray and Federer. Either there will be more non big four winners or Djoko or Nadal will prey on weakened competition. But Big Four is on its last legs.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you consider the pool without Big 3 ( Fed + Djoko + Nadal ) -> Wawrinka, Ferrer, Raonic, Dimitrov, Murray, Tsonga, Nishi, Cilic, Monfils, Robredo, Fognini, Kyrgios

It all depends how the following 2/3 years going to be for their consistency in play. Until then the Big 3 can play safely depending on the draw they gets on each GS.

Nadal - I don't think he would continue playing throughout the year going forward. Considering the wear and tear from the countless hours so far from childhood he spent on this sport, he can take rest for 6 months and play for 6 months. But who knows he would get defeated by any one from above 12 on any bad day.

Federer (except Wimbledon) has already become a candidate for QF or at the maximum he can step into SF. But he is active and aggressive and he can play for another 2/3 years. But its going to be tough if he plays with the above pool in the earlier stages of the tournament/grand slam matches

Djoko is pretty consistent comparing the above. He can sustain until SF.
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^ Yeah, all four can get to quarters or semis. My point was neither Murray nor Fed look likely to win more slams in the future. Maybe not even finals that often anymore. In that case, it will become Big 2 instead of Big 4. And as you said, Nadal's fitness is a question mark so that leaves only Djoko as the consistent performer of the big four. Even then, already, in 2014, Djoko only won one slam and two non big four players won one each. So it's already begun. You have to go back all the way to 2003 for a year in which members of the big four put together didn't win at least three slams. In other words, the point where Fed first became a title holder! Which goes to show that big four is mainly about Fed and Nadal's longevity at the top. Djoko is younger yet unable to dominate the tour in the way Fed or Nadal did at a similar stage in their career and Murray has already faded a bit. This period will resemble the 2001-2003 phase a bit, imo, but probably somewhat better since Wawrinka and Cilic had to really outplay competition, including top players, to win their titles (i.e not like Johansson preying on an inconsistent Safin).

It could all well be a flash in the pan but somehow I don't see it turning out that way. Djoko looked really exhausted against Nishikori. He was simply not up for another long, physical match in the heat, having just beaten Murray in a mini marathon under the lights. That is very unlike 2012 when he overcame both Nadal and Murray in back to back five setters at Australian Open. Only Nadal looks capable of producing his peak form on a consistent basis...when he is not injured.

Post Thanks / Like
    "What if..."

5 great U.S. Open finals that never were

http://www.oregonlive.com/the-spin-o...nishikori.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crimson king View Post
    Only Nadal looks capable of producing his peak form on a consistent basis...when he is not injured.
    Yes, with 3-6 months strategic break every year..............

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations to Serena Williams for winning her 18th grand slam singles title!