Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Need Transliterated Lyrics

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Help! Need Transliterated Lyrics

Hi!

I would like to ask if anyone could please help me with transliterating the lyrics for the song 'Unthan Rajasabai (Iraiva Iraiva)' by S. Janaki from the movie Karuppu Panam. I apologize if I've spelled the names wrong. I love this song and would love to know what it means. Thank you so much.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    I often become a victim to such requests and comments. That does not stop me if the request is genuine. Hope its not a troll and taking as someone's interest in a specific part of a film, I consider myself to post a reply.

Firstly I have not watched this movie (will test the patience too much for my generation)
    Secondly I watched the song on youtube.
    Thirdly, as your request is in English, I take that the translation you are seeking is for English too.
    Fourthly, I do not know your motive : do you wish to know the lyrics or analyse it. Accordingly the reply would vary. Here I am just giving you the word to word translation and nothing to do with its core meaning.
    Lastly, I have a track record for my English language, please bear with it

Premises : something went wrong in the "judgement" at the "human" court. Desperate and demoralised, this lady (in someway) emotionally affected turns to the God - her only hope. She approaches the Supreme (here Lord Jesus) with her sadness, and puts forward her depression for which she expects Him to consider it and do the necessary. The plea goes like this :

(those indicated within simple brackets are not translations but brief explanation to understand the context – if you want just the word by word translation, just remove those in simple brackets)

GoD (3 times) - followed by “church-gospel-kind-of” humming
    Won't your (council, assembly, state - but here it refers court house) court house be altered (wrt judgements)
    Can't we hear "sympathy" sentences (at least) here.
    (repeat)
    Our Hero (Jesus) can't you step down
    And listen to this slave’s (of Thy) voice (plea)
    (repeat last line) - - followed by Humming
    Are you not responsible for my thought process (brain)
    Are you not the one who is puppeting anything that moves
    Are you not the emerald in our (council, assembly, state - but here soul) soul (or heart)
    Are you not the messenger of Almighty
    (Please) listen to this slave (of Thy) voice (plea)
    (repeat last line)
    (repeat thematic line)
    (humming)
    Here (on earth) I do not have anything (to posses)
    There is not confusion (bad thoughts to be more accurate) in our heart (mind)
    (repeat 2 lines)
    We are the flowers in your garden
    We are waves taking carrying your message
    (Please) listen to this slave (of Thy) voice (plea) => repeat 1 more time
    (repeat thematic line)
    God (3 times)
    END

The song is followed by a "human" judgement under "human" justice

Song Details :

Song : Unthan Rajasabai
    Film : Karuppu Panam
    Year : 1964
    Music : Viswanathan & Ramamurthy
    Singer : S. Janki
    Lyrics : Kannadhasan
    Genre : Musical (cinematic form that emphasize full-scale scores or song integrated as part of the film narrative)
    Sub Genre : Melodramas (Characterized by a plot to appeal to the emotions of the audience)
    Hybrid : Chritian Song
    Category : Sad Song

Hope I was not messy.
    Any information on how to screen Indian Movies outside India, please post them here : http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...-outside-India

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent mappi.
    BUT I think the person was askingbgor the transliteration of the song not it's translation.
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Post Thanks / Like
    oh! my god *facepalm* I thought transliterating <=> Translation

(idhuku thaan saturdays-la summa irrukanum-nu solradhu)

EDIT : got what it means : tanglish - athu namaku nalla varum
    Last edited by mappi; 10th August 2013 at 05:48 PM.
    Any information on how to screen Indian Movies outside India, please post them here : http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...-outside-India

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    We seriously need a like button for posts.

Mappi nothing is lost.
    We got am excellent analysis.
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Post Thanks / Like
    Song : Unthan Rajasabai transliteration

Iraiva Iraiva Iraiva
    Unthan Raja Sabai Ingu Varatho
    Unthan Karunai Mozhi Ingu Kelatho
    (Repeat)
    Engal Nayaganey Ingu Varayo
    Adimai Kuralai Kongam Kelayo (repeat once)

Engal Arivinai solvathu Nee Allavo
    Ingu asaivanai Yavaium Nee Allavo
    (repeat)
    Yengal Thiru Sabai Manikkam Nee Allavo
    Antha Deva Thoodhuvan Nee Allavo

(repeat thematic line)

Ingey Nammakunu yedhum ellai
    Engal idhayathil Sanalangal edhum illai, illai
    (repeat once)
    Unthan Solaiyil Naangal Malargal aiyaa
    Unthan Thothu kondodum alaigal aiyaa

(repeat thematic line)
    END

I am not qualified to use the phonemic, if anyone else knows it, can give a try with the above words.
    Last edited by mappi; 10th August 2013 at 06:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Nov for your kindness (but mappi english-mokka vangathu-ku innoru record ... LoL)

Actually I get such kind of requests for many non-tamil speaking audience. They are not convinced with the official translation and ask me to give them an inner view. I mistook the request to be the same. Anyway, glad that I come out with something of interest.

(got to go - going for chennai express)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mappi!

I am very grateful to you. In kindness you've given me what I should have asked and not what I have asked for. Yes, I was looking for 'transliteration' because I just wanted to speak the words of the song, but I hadn't really thought of what I would do once I got past that. Now, I know what the song means. I do not speak Tamil and save for a few words do not understand it either. My motives for seeking the transliteration are manifold - Ms. Janaki's voice, M.S. Viswanathan's music, Kannadasan's lyrics, the petition to God and the subcutaneous melancholy - this is just a perfect song!

Thank you for making time to meet a stranger's request. Your kindness is sincerely appreciated.

Senor

Post Thanks / Like
    Nov!

I agree with the idea of having a 'LIKE' button for posts. Thank you for pointing out that I was looking for a 'transliteration.' Thanks to you, I now have the transliteration and the translation. But, even before I had an inkling of what the song meant, I would listen to the song and have no explanation as to why I was shred to bits within as my eyes would spontaneously gaze at heaven. Now that I know the meaning of the song, I can only conclude that deep within the human heart there is this deep-seated desire for God and for His benevolence. This song is much older than I am and I keep telling myself it is not a coincidence that a song was written long before I was born but so apt in lyric, music and mood that it is almost as if it was written for me. Thank you once again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorJalapeno View Post
    Mappi!
    Ms. Janaki's voice, M.S. Viswanathan's music, Kannadasan's lyrics, the petition to God and the subcutaneous melancholy - this is just a perfect song!

Thank you for making time to meet a stranger's request. Your kindness is sincerely appreciated.

Senor
    This is the Song composed by M.S.Viswathan- T.K.Ramamoorthy Combo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast