Page 287 of 344 FirstFirst ... 187237277285286287288289297337 ... LastLast
Results 2,861 to 2,870 of 3439

Thread: UlagaNayagan KAMALHAASAN in ||"UthamaVillan"|| Directed by Ramesh Aravind

Senior Member Senior Hubber nickraman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by madhus369 View Post
    It's a travesty that language and reach makes a much inferior movie collect so much more.
    I will be happy if the movie reaches breakeven or even hit status. Knowing the subject is complicated beyond what was seen from the promos (8th Century portions + drama subject mix may not be a feast for everyone = extreme reactions both good or bad), it's a feat that it managed 13.5 C that too in limited prints worldwide (due to Avengers 2 States side release.) Hindi will naturally have a reach and make more money because A) After Telugu, Hindi people are second in population and then Tamils are next. B) Ticket prices overseas for Hindi films are cheaper and affordable than Tamil films. During festive season releases (i.e Diwali, Pongal) for big star releases, tickets are up to 20-25 USD (i.e Lingaa, Enthiran in opening weekend.) I hope the people behind PrimeMediaUS (who distributed UV in North America) did NOT take a gamble like they did for Lingaa and were reasonable after OK Kanmani success.

As long as Lingu bhai does not bad mouth Nammavar at a later stage (even before Ore Iravu nears release time.)
    "aaj ka mera hey, kalka thera hey, side-dish pagoda hey, ye hey life hey"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dasa and other big tamil films were priced at $15 per ticket - that too in theaters that probably qualify to be indoor dog parks - what the heck?

And now UV has been released in Cinemark and Carmike cinemas and tickets are priced the same as before - $15 - while regular Hollywood films are $10 per ticket in the same multiplexes..

why this greed on the part of Indian/Tamil film distributors?

if being charged $15, then damn it release it in AMC/ Regal cinemas massively throughout..

Ridiculous...

4. Likes venkkiram liked this post
    Senior Member Veteran Hubber Cinemarasigan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by goundar_strike View Post
    KB (Nagesh) sir in Uttama Villain:::

Margadarsi sir saying Long long ago so long ago, nobody can say how long ago. A dialog that connects KB sir and Nagesh sir (server sundaram).

Margadarsi sir calling poornachandra rao as Rao-ji.. I guess that's how KB sir used to call Nagesh sir (Gundu rao)
    Nice Observations
    " The real triumph in life is not in never getting knocked down, but in getting back up everytime it happens".

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Cinemarasigan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Arvind Srinivasan View Post
    Alright looks like the party's started in terms of dissecting the movie. Great start guys. The 5th level thing is actually so awesome to think of. Here's some more fodder to think from from my side as well. UV is essentially in core a story of fathers. Their actions move the story. It is Jacob Zachariah, a pseudo father's love towards his foster child that brings Manonmani to Manoranjan. It's PCR's love towards his love that causes all the damage in the first place. Its Margadarsi's fatherly love that sails him through the hard times. Lastly it's Manoranjan's failure as a father to both his children that propels him towards making amends with both of them. And the icing of the cake is Iraniyan. He's a father to prahladha. Ithu avan appanin kadha like how Uttaman puts it. And look how it ended.
    The thinking of the writer changes according to the situation he is in... Being a father of 2 children in real life and the people he associated with in real life made him to write story & screenplay like this.. The acting was also so natural for this role...
    " The real triumph in life is not in never getting knocked down, but in getting back up everytime it happens".

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am with you on the pricing strategy adopted by these greedy exhibitors.

It is like within the first 3 to 5 days , they want to break even and move on getting another movie . I don't see large scale advertising or promotions like they do in Canada for Tamil films. The linguistic demography is spread across Edison NJ, Dallas /Houston TX, Atlanta , LA, San Jose / santa clara , Chicago and Boston MA. so having screenings in other centers is only convenience and not going to greatly increase the revenue. I have been following the trend since 2004

I read that the screening this time for UV was going to happen in about 100 locations and screens all of the US for the first week with exceptions of "No Thursday shows" in some cities . well that is understandable given the fact it is a week day. My argument is do we assume that Prime media USA would have paid a million USD upfront for the NA rights and going by the minimum 20 screenings ( 2 weeks /weekends) in all of the 100 locations and so would want to recover all the money in two weeks time? Even if it were 70/30 sharing basis as someone pointed in the hub, did they pay 400K to start with? some numbers don't really find a place in the economics of distribution ?

I know of a colleague (telugu speaking) who exhibited several telugu movies prior to 2010 and he made money in few BB movies of Balakrishna , venkatesh and Chiru movies and also had a deep cut with two subsequent movies in late 2010 and his partnership broke apart and he took several years to recoup this deficit.

Here in Atlanta , many Indian grocery stores have Hindi movies banner or posters ahead of its release, WOM is easy with all the Hindi music channels showing trailers thru out the day and for several weeks .

The Irony is when I went to the premier show last Thursday at Aakash Cinemas (previously Navrang Theaters) , they had no clue if at all the Pin will arrive before 4.30 pm for a 5.00 pm show. Posters were not there . kanchana and OKK posters were there. The office manager was checking his email periodically if the PIN was generated and sent to his Inbox. Another second in line was answering the phone calls received not sure if the movie goers can actually make online ticketing or for that matter if they should actually come to the theaters for the second and third show planned for that day.

I missed all the gala and fun with the FDFS crowd and we were only 4 of us who whistled at the start and that's it. we were about 30 odd watching in a 245 seater hall.

It is a sad state of affairs for Tamil movies

exhibitors and distribution mechanism has to change in the near the future.........

[

QUOTE=irir123;1223755]Dasa and other big tamil films were priced at $15 per ticket - that too in theaters that probably qualify to be indoor dog parks - what the heck?

And now UV has been released in Cinemark and Carmike cinemas and tickets are priced the same as before - $15 - while regular Hollywood films are $10 per ticket in the same multiplexes..

if being charged $15, then damn it release it in AMC/ Regal cinemas massively throughout..

Ridiculous...[/QUOTE]

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar View Post
    அருமை! ஒரு சின்ன திருத்தம், நான் 2முறை பார்த்தவரை, கமல் அவராக கட்டிபிடிக்கமாட்டார்! ஆனால் அர்ப்பணா தான் மனோவையும் டாக்ட்ரையும் சேர்த்து கட்டுப்பிடித்து அழுது மூவராவார்! Perfectly alright, after we understood the situation! another master-class scene and also the ONLY place where ArpaNa emotes high, in the whle film!
    she emotes high because she's drunk.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasayya View Post
    I am with you on the pricing strategy adopted by these greedy exhibitors.

It is like within the first 3 to 5 days , they want to break even and move on getting another movie . I don't see large scale advertising or promotions like they do in Canada for Tamil films. The linguistic demography is spread across Edison NJ, Dallas /Houston TX, Atlanta , LA, San Jose / santa clara , Chicago and Boston MA. so having screenings in other centers is only convenience and not going to greatly increase the revenue. I have been following the trend since 2004

I read that the screening this time for UV was going to happen in about 100 locations and screens all of the US for the first week with exceptions of "No Thursday shows" in some cities . well that is understandable given the fact it is a week day. My argument is do we assume that Prime media USA would have paid a million USD upfront for the NA rights and going by the minimum 20 screenings ( 2 weeks /weekends) in all of the 100 locations and so would want to recover all the money in two weeks time? Even if it were 70/30 sharing basis as someone pointed in the hub, did they pay 400K to start with? some numbers don't really find a place in the economics of distribution ?

I know of a colleague (telugu speaking) who exhibited several telugu movies prior to 2010 and he made money in few BB movies of Balakrishna , venkatesh and Chiru movies and also had a deep cut with two subsequent movies in late 2010 and his partnership broke apart and he took several years to recoup this deficit.

Here in Atlanta , many Indian grocery stores have Hindi movies banner or posters ahead of its release, WOM is easy with all the Hindi music channels showing trailers thru out the day and for several weeks .

The Irony is when I went to the premier show last Thursday at Aakash Cinemas (previously Navrang Theaters) , they had no clue if at all the Pin will arrive before 4.30 pm for a 5.00 pm show. Posters were not there . kanchana and OKK posters were there. The office manager was checking his email periodically if the PIN was generated and sent to his Inbox. Another second in line was answering the phone calls received not sure if the movie goers can actually make online ticketing or for that matter if they should actually come to the theaters for the second and third show planned for that day.

I missed all the gala and fun with the FDFS crowd and we were only 4 of us who whistled at the start and that's it. we were about 30 odd watching in a 245 seater hall.

It is a sad state of affairs for Tamil movies

exhibitors and distribution mechanism has to change in the near the future.........

[

QUOTE=irir123;1223755]Dasa and other big tamil films were priced at $15 per ticket - that too in theaters that probably qualify to be indoor dog parks - what the heck?

Ridiculous...
    [/QUOTE]

One of the reasons why they aren't releasing in AMCs is that they don't get a good share as distributors. This question was asked in their twitter handle and this was their response. Its difficult to find fault with these guys since they would also need to get some profit. I am happy they are at least releasing without much complaints. I would take these guys any day to the money hungry distributors who arm twist the actor into compensating if a movie doesn't run well.
    “You never fail until you stop trying.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Senior Member Diamond Hubber sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tifosi View Post
    she emotes high because she's drunk.
    she drinks, at 1st place, and emotes high becos she came to know the worst news...

And one more thing, kamal getting to know this info from andrea, is not shown. straightly they both goes to KB. we only see manoranjan being told of his daughter and yamini. there we see his geeat emotions but not when he is told about his disease. just to say that there are not that much patos scene as some ppl trying to project.

totally another thing, even though kamal plays manoranjan and kb plays maradharisi, when KB gazes over the fotos of kamal(mano) after knwoinghisdisease, its actually kamals fotos only and not manoranjans. u can see even little kid shruti foto there! so in a way is biopic too!
    Last edited by sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar; 5th May 2015 at 11:39 AM.
    Vishwaroopam is a 220+ Crores Record breaking Blockbuster!
    https://twitter.com/KamalHaasanFans

Uttama Villain Reviews Collection - http://goo.gl/MSBVxv

11. Likes venkkiram liked this post
    Junior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    KamalHaasar-um Karagoshamum

UttamaVillain - (ManoVasiyam): Oru kalaignan-ku adutha kai thattalgal epa varum nu theriyadhu.

Salaangai Oli / Sagara Sangamam: Naadhavinodhangal song - As a gifted dancer waiting for an opportunity, he dreams about the audience applause, and further. We all know the rest - (No End for Art)

Nammavar: Edhileyum Vallavanda song - closing lines: Kaithattum Ungalin Karagosham ondru dhan Kalaignargal engalukku nalla sanmanam !!

Kalaignan - Kalaignan Kattukaval Song after munnam oru naal (pathos bit) - Oru kalaignanin unmayana oodhiyam indha karagoshangal dhan.. So, Neraiya oodhiyam kudunga (wipes off his tears with his coats)

There are many more instances.

13. Likes avavh3, venkkiram liked this post
    Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a good analysis Gounder_Strike.
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...