Page 104 of 274 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154204 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 2739

Thread: Chevalier Dr. Kamal Haasanin Mayyam - Part 9

Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hattori_hanzo View Post
    ramdas, i'm not aware of this incident. Can we have more info please.
    Hi Hattori: Qurbani was remade as viduthalai in tamil, Producer balaji wanted to cast rajni in feroz khan role and kamal in vinod khanna's role. Kamal wanted feroz role, balaji did not agree, kamal-balaji had a fall out, kamal went ahead and made vikram. viduthalai was made with rajni-vishnu vardhan.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber hattori_hanzo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ramdas2005 View Post
    Hi Hattori: Qurbani was remade as viduthalai in tamil, Producer balaji wanted to cast rajni in feroz khan role and kamal in vinod khanna's role. Kamal wanted feroz role, balaji did not agree, kamal-balaji had a fall out, kamal went ahead and made vikram. viduthalai was made with rajni-vishnu vardhan.
    Thanks for that piece of information, ramdas. Happened to watch Viduthalai in Youtube recently. Shoddy movie. I mean, KH's Vikram is not a classic either but it can be watched for several aspects like fast screenplay, melodious songs, picturization and BGM. But Viduthalai had none of them, to sustain your interest. Good that KH was not a part of it. Were Vikram and Viduthalai released on the same day?

By the way, the antagonist of Viduthalai, Naattamai was named Vikram Now I know the reason.
    ஒரு ஆதிக்க நாயகன் சாதிக்க வந்தால் அடங்குதல் முறை தானோ..

Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    @Hattori: Both were released during the same year, not the same day though.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber rsubras's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I doubt this story...after ninaithaalae inikkum they two had agreed not to act together.........may be as hh pointed out, the antagonist name in that movie vachu somebody might have spun a story
    R.SUBRAMANIAN

My Blog site - http://rsubras.blogspot.com

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is definitely true story. I remember this one from tamil magazines during those days. The reason they did not want to act together was the money. Balaji was willing to pay but Kamal did not want to accept the rule and he asked for Hero's role. Even in Giraftaar Kamal was the hero. The only time Kamal acted as second fiddle was in Saagar and even then he had more scope for acting than Rishi Kapoor and in fact he won the best actor filmfare award for that.

Junior Member Devoted Hubber pushpak's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cinema View Post
    This is definitely true story. I remember this one from tamil magazines during those days. The reason they did not want to act together was the money. Balaji was willing to pay but Kamal did not want to accept the rule and he asked for Hero's role. Even in Giraftaar Kamal was the hero. The only time Kamal acted as second fiddle was in Saagar and even then he had more scope for acting than Rishi Kapoor and in fact he won the best actor filmfare award for that.
    Can't say second fiddle for Saagar, not just from the point of view of scope of acting, but even otherwise.
    Best of luck - dear Tamil Film Industry ! ! !

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber hattori_hanzo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cinema View Post
    ok, but I think i was wrong in guessing the reason for the antagonist's name. Just checked Wiki, the villain in Qurbani was also named Vikram. My bad.
    ஒரு ஆதிக்க நாயகன் சாதிக்க வந்தால் அடங்குதல் முறை தானோ..

Moderator Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    h_h/ramdas,

I am afraid that the info regarding Vidudhalai is not fully correct. While Balaji did have a grand idea of staging a casting coup of the century (imagine NT, Rajini and Kamal acting in the same movie) it never went beyond the initial stage. The fall out between Kamal and Balaji did not happen for Viduthalai. A brief flash back for the uninitiated.

Balaji after becoming a producer was solely dedicated to NT. Except for his first film as producer Annavin Aasai, which had Gemini in the lead and which came out in 1966 and save an exception in 1978 when he made Radhaikketra Kannan with Sivakumar (more to help his long term production manager Krishnamoorthy more popularly known as Billa Krishnamoorthy) he produced films only with NT from 1967 to 1979.

Even during those days (read 1975-76) it was rumoured that he was trying to do a casting which if it had materialised would have been the mother of all casting coups in Tamil Cinema. Sholay got released on 15th August of 1975 and the rumour was like this. Balaji had acquired the remake rights from GP Sippy. While NT would reprise the role of Amithab in the original, MGR will enact the role of Dharmendra and Gemini would don the role of Sanjeev Kumar. But I am sure it was only a rumour with no truth to it.

During October of every calendar year Balaji used to start his movie so that he can release it on January 26th, his lucky date (actually it was his marriage date). At the fag end of 1979 Balaji wanted to remake Sankarabaranam with NT but NT said no. Since no suitable story was available for NT from other languages and since NT was also busy with other commitments, Balaji turned his attention to the next generation. Rajini was roped in and Don was remade as Billa. Next he made Thee with the same combo with Thee being the remake of Deewar and it got released on 26th January 1981. [It is to be noted that the same Balaji had tried to acquire the rights for Deewar way back in 1975 when it was released with NT in mind. But the price quoted by the producer was too high and Balaji left Deewar and purchased the rights of Namak Haraam which he remade as Unakkaga Naan with NT and Gemini].In between Billa and Thee, Balaji also produced a movie called Sujatha (remake of Malayalam Shalini ente Koottukkari) that had the beautiful song “Nee Varuvai ena naan irundhe” which pitch forked singer Kalyani Menon (Mother of director Rajiv Menon) in to limelight.

Coming back to 1981 post the release of Thee, Balaji went to Kamal and produced Saval (July 3rd of 1981- a remake of Haath Ki Safai) after which continued with Kamal to produce Vaazhve Maayam (Jan 26th of 1982 – remade from Telugu Premabishekam). Then he went back to NT and Theerpu (May 1982) and Neethipadhi (Jan 26th of 1983) followed. Then again to Kamal with Sattam getting released in May 1983. After this Balaji spread his wings and he started doing more films with Mohan, Sivakumar and Suresh all coming under his fold.

After Sattam Kamal did Mangamma Sabatham for Balaji in September 1985, which was again a remake of Disco Dancer 2 of Mithun. Kamal had committed another movie for Balaji. But by now Kamal was not very comfortable doing movies continuously for one producer which were again remakes and nothing original. Moreover Balaji’s style of working was completely different. He used to get the call sheets of all artists in advance, chalk out the shooting schedule and then hunt for the story. Once he zeroes on a subject his team of writers would complete the script and shooting would start and proceed as planned earlier. Kamal it was rumoured did not like the working style because since everybody is committed, the producer is not serious about a good story but simply buys whatever is available in the market and proceeds with the shoot.

That’s the reason he was hesitant for another venture and the fact that his movies that came after Khaki Sattai (April 1985) like Andha Oru Nimidam(May 1985), Uyarndha Ullam (July 1985), Mangamma Sabatham (Sep 1985) and subsequently Japanil Kalyanaraman (Deepavali, Nov 1985) did not do well at Box office added to his decision. At that point of time he did not want one more disaster. Therefore when Balaji hit upon the idea of remaking Qurbani and asked Kamal to be a part of it he refused. [He for one had not been keen on multi starrers after 1980 can be gauged from the fact that both Prabhu and Arjun had only brief roles to play in Vetri Vizhaa and Kuruthi Punal respectively]. But by that time Vikram had already started and so was Vidudhalai. In fact Balaji had two films on the floor simultaneously at that point of time both having NT in lead roles. While Marumagal came out on his favourite day of Jan 26th of 1986, Viduthalai was released on 11th April of 1986.

Vikram was released on 29th May of 1986 and if at all Viduthalai had a film competing with, it was Naanum Oru Thozhilaali another Kamal movie helmed by Sridhar that was started in 1981 as Sakthi got rechristened as Meednum Sooriyodhyam that title later getting changed for assumed political colour to Naanum Oru Thozhilaali and finally hit the screens on May 1st of 1986. That is another long story.

Sorry if I had bored anyone with this long narration. Just wanted to highlight that it was the working style of the producer that put off Kamal All other reasons were accidental.

Regards

Member Senior Hubber radiochandra1977's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fabulous and interesting post
    Kalaikkadavul Kamalin Bakthan

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wonderful post there, Murali Srinivas...

and Welcome back...It's been a while
    “You never fail until you stop trying.”
    ― Albert Einstein