Page 39 of 274 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast

Thread: Chevalier Dr. Kamal Haasanin Mayyam - Part 9

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pushpak View Post
    If I hate Kamal, Obama or Modi, or a class mate or a colleague for whatever logical/illogical or person/professional reason, I can tell that I hate them. But I have no right to harm them.

If I hate Christ/Krishna/Allah for whatever logical/illogical reason, I can continue to hate and I can tell that I hate. Yes, I have no right to harm them

how can anyone harm someone who is non-existent (at least today) ? is it possible to harm the red-headed sphagetti monster that lives in la-la land that none can prove/disprove ?

disbelief is not harmful - otoh its the believers who implicitly harbor hatred towards everyone else who don't adhere to their system/doctrine of belief.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"
    -Robert Frost

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Devoted Hubber pushpak's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by irir123 View Post
    how can anyone harm someone who is non-existent (at least today) ? is it possible to harm the red-headed sphagetti monster that lives in la-la land that none can prove/disprove ?

disbelief is not harmful - otoh its the believers who implicitly harbor hatred towards everyone else who don't adhere to their system/doctrine of belief.
    That was exactly my point
    Best of luck - dear Tamil Film Industry ! ! !

Junior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by irir123 View Post
    Going overboard is again a subjective statement - under the pretext of sanctity, we have way too many holy cows in almost every religion and every tom, *ick and harry wants to feel offended about every other thing, that comes in the way of communities having a stress-free lifestyle.

That part of the ring road in Bangalore immediately after the over bridge in KR Puram narrows down considerably - efforts to widen the road have been met with obstacles only because the property along the roadside belong to one community that refuses to allow the road to be widened - end result is horrendous traffic jams every single day!

I challenge anyone to try driving or taking an auto rickshaw/taxi from the Hazrat Nizamuddin station towards main Delhi on a friday late afternoon - 100s of ppl clog the streets after friday prayers.

to be fair, so many roads in suburban areas are forever clogged thanks to tiny temples in the middle of the road - which can never be removed for offending religious sentiments.

the point is - it is difficult to draw lines as to what is offensive and what is not - the examples you have given - those are exactly the same ones encouraged in open societies - its not a coincidence that countries with such an open attitude are doing well in terms of longevity, social well-being etc.

faith/belief is personal and institutions representing these faiths have for long been given a free reign - tax-free status/exemptions, criminals let off (pederasts in 100s pardoned by those higher up in hierarchy), land grabbing (under the pretext of its holiness) etc and there is absolutely nothing wrong in questioning their foundations.
    Lived in US and India for a good number of years and understand a thing or two wrt. practicality and what to expect. Cannot encourage discussions on certain aspects even in the US. Even Obama's election campaign had issues pertaining to his religious faith. Cannot expect a president here who's not of the majority religion. And we as in India are not at all there to encourage free discussions of that nature and trying to do it is futile atleast presently. The evolution needs to take place at its pace and cannot be accelerated suddenly. India may be up economically compared to the 90's but all those sentiments very much prevalent .. While it may be difficult to draw a line, we need to tread carefully - get some of those that may benefit majority and avoid stuff that are not really beneficial but a potential to cause unneccessary issues. There is no right or wrong here but what is practically doable vs. not. I'm not a religious person but would like to give space to others who may be and stay away from cosmetic stuff questioning their faith.

Kamal's handling of such issues exposed his practicality aspect and naivete during VR release times. He cant assume people think like him .. Trying to be nice and encourage certain religious groups to watch with him actually backfired. I was sure he was not going to succeed satisfying all. Completely taken by surprise when he decided to travel to LA for the premier when things were not in control locally .. Its another discussion by itself.
    Last edited by bill4u; 30th November 2014 at 08:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bill4u View Post
    Lived in US and India for a good number of years and understand a thing or two wrt. practicality and what to expect. Cannot encourage discussions on certain aspects even in the US. Even Obama's election campaign had issues pertaining to his religious faith. Cannot expect a president here who's not of the majority religion. And we as in India are not at all there to encourage free discussions of that nature and trying to do it is futile atleast presently. The evolution needs to take place at its pace and cannot be accelerated suddenly. India may be up economically compared to the 90's but all those sentiments very much prevalent .. While it may be difficult to draw a line, we need to tread carefully - get some of those that may benefit majority and avoid stuff that are not really beneficial but a potential to cause unneccessary issues. There is no right or wrong here but what is practically doable vs. not. I'm not a religious person but would like to give space to others who may be and stay away from cosmetic stuff questioning their faith.

Kamal's handling of such issues exposed his practicality aspect and naivete during VR release times. He cant assume people think like him .. Trying to be nice and encourage certain religious groups to watch with him actually backfired. I was sure he was not going to succeed satisfying all. Completely taken by surprise when he decided to travel to LA for the premier when things were not in control locally .. Its another discussion by itself.

agreed that in the US - but why 'even in the US' - fanatical fundamentalism is very much a problem in the US - am referring to European countries where societies are relatively open - Ayaan Hirsi Ali found refuge in the Netherlands after a fatwa was issued on her for speaking against her religion.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"
    -Robert Frost

Junior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaguRaj View Post
    what a man! cant help laughing out at several places. peak is "im from my'love'pur and will feel 'homesick' if taken to tnagar for a while"

Junior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    1982 pubilicity as Top Tucker then Re-scheduled for Oru Kaidhiyin Diary.

Junior Member Devoted Hubber pushpak's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravi Ravi View Post
    1982 pubilicity as Top Tucker then Re-scheduled for Oru Kaidhiyin Diary.
    Sorry. I did not understand. Does it mean OKD was originally named top tucker?
    Best of luck - dear Tamil Film Industry ! ! !

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Twitter:

KamalHaasan receiving NationalAward for BestActor for the film "Moondram Pirai" during 1982.

சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    KH answers Ramesh Aravind

படங்களுக்கு அப்பாலும் தனது பேச்சால், எழுத்தால், கவிதையால்.. தொடர்ந்து ரசிகர்களை கவர்ந்து இழுப்பவர் கமல் மட்டுமே! இந்திய சினிமாவில் இப்படியொரு ஆற்றலுள்ள ஜீவநதி வேறெங்கும் கிடையாது! கமலுக்கு நிகர் கமலே.. அவருடைய உரையாடல் காணொளிகளை மட்டுமே தகுந்த முறையில் எடிட் செய்து திரையரங்கில் இரண்டரை மணி நேர திரைப்படங்களாக வெளியிட்டாலும் அதற்காகவும் கூட்டம் வரும். இன்னும் நூறு வருடம் கழித்து புதிதாக வரும் ஒரு சினிமா விரும்பி கமலிடத்தில் தன்னிறைவு அடைய எல்லா விஷயங்களும் உண்டு.
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

Post Thanks / Like
    venkkiram - I think Kamal differs from the rest on the following things:

1. he understands what he is capable of and what he is not and consciously pushes his limits gradually !

2. he also consciously digs deep within (himself) to continue to explore.

while most others are content with just material acquisitions.

I dont agree with some of his views - he often goes tangentially into marxism blah blah blah - beating dead horses - but his fertile mind and curiosity are unmatched - btw, even these are conscious decisions on his part and not something he was born with - thats what makes him different - had he chosen, he could have gone the way of many stars - booze, slothy lifestyle, building businesses etc, but if he had done that, he wouldn't have heeded to his personal calling!

while other stars - even when they are capable - have chosen to remain content and the easier path
    Last edited by irir123; 30th November 2014 at 10:47 PM.