Page 56 of 274 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106156 ... LastLast

Thread: Chevalier Dr. Kamal Haasanin Mayyam - Part 9

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Unmai Vilambi View Post
    i too agree sir..not 95%.. let him try the 5% about other religions malpractices but NO.

let me be frank. my anger is a recent one after watching anbe sivam. he will show one character always uttering thennadudaiya sivane potri and doing all atrocities and show christians as real angels sent by God to save earthly ppl. i was really disturbed by the selective amnesia kind of always projecting one religion and its followers in bad light. as u rightly pointed out 95 percent us are usually a tolerant lot.

while I see what you mean - Kamal as a creative artiste has every right to do what he pleases - its upto the fans / patrons to either accept or reject what he says/shows.

btw, we don't need Kamal to tell us abt the crusades (Christian-Muslim clashes from the past), or the kind of faith-healing nonsense being perpetuated on the unsuspecting Indian mass by modern day evangelicals (with generous funding from abroad, which many ppl rightfully question), or the sheer irrationality/laughability of the belief of the virgin birth etc - the stupidity behind such beliefs are fairly obvious and Kamal doesn't have to point them out to us.

take a look at this - http://joshuaproject.net/people_groups/16521/IN

"Prayer Points
    * Brahmins are a key community in India who uphold Hinduism. Please pray that the light of the gospel breaks through the veil that blinds this community.
    * Pray that the true God will reveal Himself to this community and use Brahmins to preach and teach about Jesus Christ."

can it get any more condescending / patronizing than this ?? after seeing such BS, its no wonder that (hindutva) groups are up in arms !

also btw, the Joshua Project, FYKI has its origins in Colorado Springs, the same place that was home to one Ted Haggard - the anti-gay pastor who was caught with his pants down screwing a male prostitute (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Haggard).

so Joshua project wants to export such 'esoteric. eclectic, supreme' culture to India !

andha yaeweh, illa, allah, illa, lord labakudas thaan namma makkala kaappaathhanum !
    Last edited by irir123; 28th December 2014 at 02:15 PM.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"
    -Robert Frost

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    UV:

why do you think there is such a huge opposition to the proposed anti-conversion law/ban (which already is in vogue in a few states) ?

its because there are groups whose only pozhappu is conversion and they get paid (from abroad) to do this job - if the anti-conversion law comes into force, they will be jobless and hence the hue and cry.

same goes to immigration issue in Assam - Bangladeshis come into the country in droves looking for jobs - nothing wrong with that - but they are competing with the locals for the resources - it doesn't help that bangladesh happens to be predominantly islamic and keeps its ppl illiterate and unemployed - wait until this issue blows up as well.

AK should have the guts to address these issues

Junior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Joshuva..OMG..

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice discussions from various fellow Hubbers. Though I resonate the same words of UV but I would like to counter by saying that AK is a calculative risk taker for commercial success where as KH is also a calculative risk taker but comes out with hurting the sentiments of section of a community i.e. so called upholder of hindu religion as cited by the Joshua project.

AK's PK was a satire on all the religions but for most part Hinduism. And this was done beautifully in a comic sense. And am surprised to see the various factions of Hinduism groups targeting it. Since he has projected 95% about Hinduism; he has overdone it. If it was going to be 95% about Islam or Christianity; I am sure the movie wouldn't have met with commercial success despite facing various backlashes from the religious communities. Delhi imam would have issued fatwa etc etc. I don't know why PK film had the rolling credits of AOL guru at the start. Is it for that swamiji?
    Yennai Arindhaal...

Post Thanks / Like
    There is very wrong pre-conceived notions about various religions by the filmmakers be it about Hinduism, Islam, Christianity and other world religions. We always tend to take a certain part of it and discuss it by making it a movie for some commercial success.
    Yennai Arindhaal...

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    கமல் பெரியார் வழி. தனது மதம், சமூகம் எதோ அதையே விமர்சனம் செய்பவர்கள். இந்து என்ற ஒரு குடையே இடைப்பட்ட காலத்தில் நம்மீது விரிக்கப் பட்டதுதான். நமது புராதன வரலாறு, சடங்குகள், சாதிகள் மற்றும் கலாச்சார பண்பாட்டுத் தளங்களில் ஆழ்ந்த அறிவு கொண்டவர் கமல். சமீபத்தில் ஒரு காணொளியில் தனது விமர்சனம் ஏன் இந்து சமூகம் மீதே இருக்கிறது என்பதற்கும் வெளிப்படையாக பதில் சொன்னவர். சினிமா என்பது பெரியதொரு ஜனநாயகம் என அடிக்கடி சொல்லிவருபவர். மற்ற மதங்களை விமர்சனம் செய்ய அந்தந்த மதங்களிலிருந்து கலைஞர்கள் வரட்டும். நீ ஏன் ஒரு மதத்தைப் பற்றியே விமர்சனம் செய்கிறாய் என ஒரு கலைஞனை கேள்வி கேட்பது ஒவ்வொருவரின் சுதந்திரம். ஆனால் அது ஒரு அடக்குமுறையின் வெளிப்பாடு. நம்மை நாமே பட்டை தீட்ட தீட்டவே நாம் இன்னும் பொலிவடைய முடியும். அப்போதுதான் ஒரு சமூகம் வளர்ச்சிப் பாதையில் செல்வதாக அர்த்தம். தமிழ்நாட்டில் இருக்கும் மத, சாதி அரசியலுக்கு இடையில் அவரால் ஒரு தேவர் மகன் முதல் விஸ்வரூபம் வரை படைக்க முயல்கிறதென்ரால் அதுவே அவரது சாதனை.
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

இதுபோல ஒரு ஏமாற்றுவேலையை, கபடத்தை வெளிச்சம் போட்டுக் காட்டினால் உடனே ' ஏன் என்னோட மதத்தை மட்டும் விமர்சிக்கிற, அடுத்தவர்கள் மதத்தை விமர்சிக்க வேண்டியதுதானே?" என ஆதங்கப் படுவதில் அர்த்தமே இல்லை. ஒருவர் தன்னோட மதத்திற்கு உண்மையான விசுவாசியாக இருந்தால் இதுபோன்ற கடவுள், மதப் பெயரால் நடக்கும் ஏமாற்றுவேலைகளை படம்பிடித்துக் காட்டும் எந்தவொரு கலைஞரையும் மனம் திறந்து பாராட்டுவார். எப்படிவேணாலும் சினிமாவில் சம்பாரித்தே ஆகணும் என்ற வணிக சூழ்நிலையில் இதுபோன்ற அக்ரமங்க்களை ஒருவித சமூக அக்கறையோடு தனது படங்களில் தொடர்ந்து விமர்சனம் செய்துவரும் கமலை எப்படி வேணாலும் பாராட்டலாம்.
    Last edited by venkkiram; 29th December 2014 at 07:19 AM.
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

9. Likes Russellpei liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Unmai Vilambi View Post
    Joshuva..OMG..

UV - the logic is very straightforward:

the Judeo-christian abrahamic religions are monotheistic - judaism is an exception in the sense that most jews are either agnostic or atheistic progressive - given their monotheistic nature, there is an element of absolutist foundation to those doctrines - either us or nothing else.

OTOH, the word Hinduism was attributed to a collection of various belief systems prevalent on the other side of the Sindh river - dvaitam, advaitam,vedantam, jainism, buddhism (and its derivatives in china and elsewhere) came from a polytheistic culture constantly evolving.

A polytheistic culture (despite its inherent flaws as can be seen in our society) would have no problem in accepting yet another version of the supreme/supernatural - but a monotheistic tradition can never accept a polytheistic culture coz its a classic case of "vachha kudumi serachha motttai" "naan pudhiccha muyalukku naappathu kaal" etc!

thats WHY both Islam and Christianity have had problems throughout history either with each other or with others - Christopher Hitchens's "God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything" is a brilliant take on this issue - the historical facts Hitchens presents are mind-boggling (sample this: while the Nazis several of whom owed allegiance to the catholic church were on a murderous rampage, the Catholic church expelled one of them, Joseph Goebbels - guess for what ? for marrying a divorced protestant, not for being a Nazi! they did and do have their standards, don't they ?).

however, inspite of such things, Christianity has constantly been in conflict with modern science and humanistic values (beginning with the likes of philosopher/intellectuals such as Lucretius, Spinoza etc) and has been reforming itself - Islam has been an island for long and the likes of ISIS, al qaeda, al nusra, al shabbaab, boko haraam, janjaweed, and many other groups keep coming out of its outdated doctrines - thats coz of lack of reformation.

having said that, the former cannot rid itself of the culture of proselytization - particularly, the modern evangelical 'born again' groups that have their origins in the USA - some of the things these people do are ridiculous to the extreme (faith based demonstration handling poisonous snakes in the belief that the poison won't hurt them ! quite a few have died bitten by rattlesnakes and vipers; vicious indoctrination of small children with threat of hell, denial of scientific evidence for evolution, biblical literalism etc - if you ever get a chance to visit a pentecostal meeting, you will be guaranteed some outrageous entertainment - I have seen ppl performing break dances (a la Senthil/Goundamani) when the 'spirit' comes over them - seriously !) - it is jokers like these, who are funneling money into the Joshua project et al !

Islam OTOH begs to be recognized for its uniqueness and ultimate superiority - the salafists, wahabbis et al are rich from head to toe and are pumping this money into groups like Hamas, and others in Pakistan, while the other side, the shias are pumping money into groups like hezbollah etc. The danger lies in even educated men/women choosing NOT to critically question their own beliefs.
    Last edited by irir123; 28th December 2014 at 03:01 PM.
    -Robert Frost

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by venkkiram View Post

இதுபோல ஒரு ஏமாற்றுவேலையை, கபடத்தை வெளிச்சம் போட்டுக் காட்டினால் உடனே ' ஏன் என்னோட மதத்தை மட்டும் விமர்சிக்கிற, அடுத்தர்கள் மதத்தை விமர்சிக்க வேண்டியதுதானே?" என ஆதங்கப் படுவதில் அர்த்தமே இல்லை. ஒருவர் தன்னோட மதத்திற்கு உண்மையான விசுவாசியாக இருந்தால் இதுபோன்ற கடவுள், மதப் பெயரால் நடக்கும் ஏமாற்றுவேலைகளை படம்பிடித்துக் காட்டும் எந்தவொரு கலைஞரையும் மனம் திறந்து பாராட்டுவார். எப்படிவேணாலும் சினிமாவில் சம்பாரித்தே ஆகணும் என்ற வணிக சூழ்நிலையில் இதுபோன்ற அக்ரமங்க்களை ஒருவித சமூக அக்கறையோடு தனது படங்களில் தொடர்ந்து விமர்சனம் செய்துவரும் கமலை எப்படி வேணாலும் பாராட்டலாம்.

100% agreed - but the problem is even if one movie is made showing a pastor screwing small children or the stupid faith healing sessions, there will be an outcry of 'persecution and offending our sentiments' !
    -Robert Frost

Junior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^ irir