Page 58 of 97 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Thread: KATHTHI aka Kathiresan - Ilayathalapathy VIJAY | ARM | SAMANTHA | ANIRUDH - PART 2

Junior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cinema View Post
    I totally agree this one is useless link and Vishwaroopam is no where close to Kaththi in collections and quality. For me kaththi is the best I have seen in several years. Vijay's performance is one of the best I have ever seen. I will not be surprised if hubbers give this link sooner and claim that even Pooja Kumar told this in Ilayaraja concert.
    So Kamal's latest PRO is Pooja after Simran and Gouthami. Bravo.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmer View Post
    Not understanding what u trying to convey. Why compare Kochadayan to Kaththi?
    Very simple bomma padam is a disaster. Rajni could not save the movie with his charisma.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber ajaybaskar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmer View Post
    Not understanding what u trying to convey. Why compare Kochadayan to Kaththi?
    All he says is that even Rajni or Kamal can give failures.

After all, it started with a post on YouTube hit count - which obviously has nothing to do with the success of the film. I dont know why it agitated a section. We can call ourselves a person who doesn't worship a hero/heroes but still get pissed off when even a lame comparison is made.

At least I can understand the feeling of that section of the crowd. But the support that came in from the other section. Wah... அவங்க ஊதுறதையும் இவங்க ஆடுறதையும் பார்க்கும்போது..
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

- Bernard Shaw

Post Thanks / Like
    And guys, a kind request. Dont compare Kaththi with any other movie which has been marked with an 'incomparable' tag. And dont compare it with movies which were released 10 years or 5 years or even an year before. Because we have the adjust inflation, cost of living, etc. Better compare it with Kaththi itself if at all you want to do a comparison. Hope we are allowed to do that.
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

- Bernard Shaw

6. Likes CEDYBLUE liked this post
    Senior Member Veteran Hubber CEDYBLUE's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The very moment I started watching Sachin and Cricket, I remember hearing commentators talk about Sunil Gavaskar's 34 test centuries. Sachin had barely made 3 or 4 that time and because he was young and because he had the potential, comparisons were made with the legendary Sunil Gavaskar and later with Don Bradman.

Sachin passed Sunil's record in 2005, 18 years after Sunil retired. Still, a record is a record and comparisons are inevitable. Eventually Sachin's proficiency in the limited overs format and his all around game, attack/defence, allowed many to believe he was a better batsman than Sunil Gavaskar.

Tomorrow, Virat might get closer to Sachin's record and when that happens, comparisons would be made between the two. Though it will be hard for diehards like me to digest any cricketer being compared to Sachin, I think, I should be ready to accept it. Hope I will do that, not sure though

No like to like comparisons intended here to the current discussion, but when Sachin was compared with Sunil early in his career, wasn't it supposed to be Sachin's early days Vs Sunil's early days? Sunil was India's best in the 1970's, Sachin was India's best by a mile in the 1990's. Though everyone knew that both players were from a different era, while Sunil faced fast bowlers without a helmet on uncovered wickets, Sachin had to play in a spotlight of millions of fans with a weight of pressure on his shoulders. Comparisons were still drawn and many expected Sachin to break Sunil's record and create more and more records.

I believe the same logic can be applied here and when Vijay of today, if at all compared is with how the superstar was in the 1990's when he was emerging as the new box office stalwart. Is that wrong at all?

Sure, the competition would have been tough between Superstar and Ulaganayagan back then in the 1990's, but still comparisons with let's say MGR's box office prowess with that of next-in-line Rajni or Kamal, would have been inevitable. What's wrong in that?

What Vijay has achieved at 40, twin 100 crore blockbusters is no mean feat.

With all due respect to Superstar and a phenomenon that he is today, What Vijay is today may be on par with what Rajni was in the 1990's, at 40, at a similar age.

Vijay has a well-rounded fan following among all ages. His movies do well all-over. The satellite rights for his movies are higher and so are pre-business numbers. Feel free to check his movies and its BO performance. Sura, Vijay's biggest blob made more money all over, than let's say an Asal. The much maligned Jilla, the one that was supposedly beaten by Veeram, grossed more than Veeram in overseas markets, outside TN and was close on Veeram's heals in TN. This after poor reviews and the reverse for Veeram.

Kaththi's collections are the only one anywhere close to the monster records of Endhiran or Viswaroopam. In certain markets, it is right below Endhiran. Does that indicate anything at all? Thuppakki is in the all-time top 5 list, all over. Its Rajni, Kamal and Vijay in the top 5.

If at all comparisons are made, it is Vijay of today Vs the legends at a similar age.

And today, people rate Youtube views as an important yardstick. Anjaan's team celebrated the success of the trailer and I have seen almost all film-makers thank the audience for making it a IM or a 2M views. It has got under the skin of everyone, fortunately or unfortunately.
    Last edited by CEDYBLUE; 20th November 2014 at 10:37 AM.
    In admiration of Mr. Evergreen Young, Mr. Box Office, Mr. Dance, Mr. MASS - | Ilayathalapathy VIJAY |

8. Likes ecureuhapis, uruzalari liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seeing the posts in the thread, i really suspect if some members are really vijay fans. One of them posted in Linga thread, that telugu distributors are requesting for presence of vijay in telugu version of linga. WTF.. !!!

and this posts are making some others have a jolly time.!!
    There is a light at the end of every tunnel....just pray it's not a train!.

Post Thanks / Like
    Who said that is a Vijay fan? That particular person wanted to sound funny with such sarcastic posts. Thats all.

- Bernard Shaw

Post Thanks / Like
    Oops.. My bad..!! Need to follow the thread more regulary..
    There is a light at the end of every tunnel....just pray it's not a train!.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CEDYBLUE View Post
    The very moment I started watching Sachin and Cricket, I remember hearing commentators talk about Sunil Gavaskar's 34 test centuries. Sachin had barely made 3 or 4 that time and because he was young and because he had the potential, comparisons were made with the legendary Sunil Gavaskar and later with Don Bradman.

Sachin passed Sunil's record in 2005, 18 years after Sunil retired. Still, a record is a record and comparisons are inevitable. Eventually Sachin's proficiency in the limited overs format and his all around game, attack/defence, allowed many to believe he was a better batsman than Sunil Gavaskar.

Tomorrow, Virat might get closer to Sachin's record and when that happens, comparisons would be made between the two. Though it will be hard for diehards like me to digest any cricketer being compared to Sachin, I think, I should be ready to accept it. Hope I will do that, not sure though

No like to like comparisons intended here to the current discussion, but when Sachin was compared with Sunil early in his career, wasn't it supposed to be Sachin's early days Vs Sunil's early days? Sunil was India's best in the 1970's, Sachin was India's best by a mile in the 1990's. Though everyone knew that both players were from a different era, while Sunil faced fast bowlers without a helmet on uncovered wickets, Sachin had to play in a spotlight of millions of fans with a weight of pressure on his shoulders. Comparisons were still drawn and many expected Sachin to break Sunil's record and create more and more records.

I believe the same logic can be applied here and when Vijay of today, if at all compared is with how the superstar was in the 1990's when he was emerging as the new box office stalwart. Is that wrong at all?

Sure, the competition would have been tough between Superstar and Ulaganayagan back then in the 1990's, but still comparisons with let's say MGR's box office prowess with that of next-in-line Rajni or Kamal, would have been inevitable. What's wrong in that?

What Vijay has achieved at 40, twin 100 crore blockbusters is no mean feat.

With all due respect to Superstar and a phenomenon that he is today, What Vijay is today may be on par with what Rajni was in the 1990's, at 40, at a similar age.

Vijay has a well-rounded fan following among all ages. His movies do well all-over. The satellite rights for his movies are higher and so are pre-business numbers. Feel free to check his movies and its BO performance. Sura, Vijay's biggest blob made more money all over, than let's say an Asal. The much maligned Jilla, the one that was supposedly beaten by Veeram, grossed more than Veeram in overseas markets, outside TN and was close on Veeram's heals in TN. This after poor reviews and the reverse for Veeram.

Kaththi's collections are the only one anywhere close to the monster records of Endhiran or Viswaroopam. In certain markets, it is right below Endhiran. Does that indicate anything at all? Thuppakki is in the all-time top 5 list, all over. Its Rajni, Kamal and Vijay in the top 5.

If at all comparisons are made, it is Vijay of today Vs the legends at a similar age.

And today, people rate Youtube views as an important yardstick. Anjaan's team celebrated the success of the trailer and I have seen almost all film-makers thank the audience for making it a IM or a 2M views. It has got under the skin of everyone, fortunately or unfortunately.
    Superb Cedy! Well said.

Junior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaybaskar View Post
    All he says is that even Rajni or Kamal can give failures.

After all, it started with a post on YouTube hit count - which obviously has nothing to do with the success of the film. I dont know why it agitated a section. We can call ourselves a person who doesn't worship a hero/heroes but still get pissed off when even a lame comparison is made.
    Not me if thats whom you're referring to ! I dont/didnt follow utube counts personally .. Your logic - I dont hero worship anyone and yet being mutually exclusive, I could get peeved at constant comparisons without concrete evidence that Kaththi is the #1 tamil movie ever - atleast not yet.

Kathithi has completed its run in all countries except TN. Lets find out its overall gross after it completes its final lap in TN and then talk with actual numbers.
    Last edited by bill4u; 20th November 2014 at 04:53 PM.

Page 58 of 97 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast