Page 15 of 177 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Tamil Cinema Box Office

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar View Post
    Even in overseas kamal films have slight less rate tickets than, say rajini. But he has done records despite that. These kinda statements, like less ticket rates, movie sold for less price etc makes no sense.
    Not sure about other European countries or N.America, but the ticket price for all the films ( except 3D / VIP lounge) regardless of "Actors" are the same price in UK.
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cm123 View Post
    Kamal movie tickets lower than all other big or lower or equal stars in all over TN except chennai where theatre owners yet to know how to cheat both people and government.
    சாருக்கு சொந்த ஊரு வாடிபட்டியா?

Junior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raajjaa View Post
    சாருக்கு சொந்த ஊரு வாடிபட்டியா?
    இல்ல கொட்டாம்பட்டி

Post Thanks / Like
    No , it is "Ayyampettai" and his name is " ayyampettai arivudainambi kaliyaperumal chandran"
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar View Post
    Even in overseas kamal films have slight less rate tickets than, say rajini. But he has done records despite that. These kinda statements, like less ticket rates, movie sold for less price etc makes no sense.
    do you realize no matter how much the ticket price is for the first weekend when reporting to box office, they only show the actual ticket price for tax purposes but not the price they sold for? if you are actually counting 25$ full weekend price for endhiran/sivaji etc, it could easily touch say PK's collection in US.

even for latest massu movie i had paid 15 which is a norm for all recent blockbusters except for UV it was 11.. Most KH movies sell for regular ticket prices. anecdotal evidence does not a truth make. you don't make up stories based on what you hear. The so called flop Lingaa collected 3 times more than your above average UV (without considering inflated ticket price), do the math to find how much it actually could have collected.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber dell_gt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PR218 View Post
    do you realize no matter how much the ticket price is for the first weekend when reporting to box office, they only show the actual ticket price for tax purposes but not the price they sold for? if you are actually counting 25$ full weekend price for endhiran/sivaji etc, it could easily touch say PK's collection in US.

even for latest massu movie i had paid 15 which is a norm for all recent blockbusters except for UV it was 11.. Most KH movies sell for regular ticket prices. anecdotal evidence does not a truth make. you don't make up stories based on what you hear. The so called flop Lingaa collected 3 times more than your above average UV (without considering inflated ticket price), do the math to find how much it actually could have collected.
    less ticket price then Mass... and UV overall collection higher then MASS.. ok got it!
    sir I think time to let go Lingga.. total damage been done to that movie.. ninga vera keep bringing up again!
    #UttamaVillain#

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dell_gt View Post
    less ticket price then Mass... and UV overall collection higher then MASS.. ok got it!
    sir I think time to let go Lingga.. total damage been done to that movie.. ninga vera keep bringing up again!
    neenga naan sonnatha purinchikave illannu nenaikiren.. for BO they only consider standard ticket prices not inflated ones. it could be true UV collected more than MASS means it sold more tickets at the counter than MASS.. (not necassarily the actual money to distributors)

Brought linga for comparison from the quoted post. He mentioned it's disaster so i responded accordingly.

Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PARAMASHIVAN View Post
    I can't remember how Indian did over here, and I am not sure how late 80's and early 90's film did over here as well, IIRC Indian films screening here were limited to "Odeon " Cinemas, and not all Odeon Cinemas screened Indian films, but since the introduction of "Cineworld Cinema" Indian movies were screened a lot more than in the 90's
    I do not think the Eelam diaspora have the kind of impact on the box office like the Indians who migrated due to the IT revolution from the beginning of 2000 do. The Indians who came in after 2000 had the purchasing power and more importantly believe in entertainment mainly shopping, eating out and cinema. It is only after the arrival of the South Indians to London from 2000 onwards things changed in the 3 areas mentioned. You would have noticed how things changed over the last 16 years if you happen to live in London.I think it is the same in USA. The box office figures in UK, USA,Malaysia and lately Australia are mostly decided by the South Indians living in these areas.

I do not remember Tamil movies being screened in the eighties though thousands of Tamils from Sri Lanka lived in London. I had to watch Thevar Magan Guna and Thalapathy on video. But Tenali had a fantastic run in late 1999. That was purely due to the Eelam dispora. People did talk about Tenali's run. (In a way it was similar to Aboorva Sagothargal's run in KL in 1989; a trendsetter). The large scale migration from South India from 2000 changed things. The box office numbers of Sivaji and Dasa in the overseas market in 2007 and 2008 were largely due to this migration.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Half-yearly report card Of Tamil Cinema
    Top Nett box office collections worldwide in the first half of 2015

1. I (Tamil + Telugu + Hindi): 190 cr

2. Kanchana-2 (Tamil + Telugu): 98 cr

3. Yennai Arindhaal (Tamil + Telugu): 78 cr

4. Massu (Tamil + Telugu): 63 cr

5. Anegan (Tamil + Telugu): 49 cr

6. Kaaki Sattai (Tamil only): 47 cr

7. Uttama Villain (Tamil + Telugu): 38 cr

8. O Kadhal Kanmani (Tamil + Telugu): 33 cr

9. Komban (Tamil only): 31 cr

10. Romeo Juliet (Tamil Only): 22 cr.

All box office figures are approximate, but are adequately indicative of the box office performance of the film.
    Source: Compiled from conversations with producers, distributors and other trade sources, including tamilboxoffice1.com
    Gross: Total amount from the theatrical ticket sales
    Nett: Gross minus Entertainment Tax (various states have different rates)
    Share: Nett minus the share given to theatre owners as per agreements

Article BY THE HINDU

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Karikalen View Post
    I do not think the Eelam diaspora have the kind of impact on the box office like the Indians who migrated due to the IT revolution from the beginning of 2000 do.
    yes IT revolution did have an impact, but amongst Tamil Population in UK, 75% are Eezha diaspora

The Indians who came in after 2000 had the purchasing power
    Ayngaran International founder/owner is Eezha Diaspora.
    Lycatel and Lycamobile Groups of companies founder / owner is a Eezha diaspora

importantly believe in entertainment mainly shopping, eating out and cinema.
    I agree on this since introduction South Indian Food, especially Dosa outlets like, Chennai dosa / Dosa and chutney

You would have noticed how things changed over the last 16 years if you happen to live in London.
    I have been living here for nearly 27 years