Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sabari mala

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Sabari mala

hi all,
    I just joined the hub. I live in California... I was just wondering, if there is anyway I can wear Ayyappa Mala from here and then go to India in december or january to go to Sabari mala... Somebody, if u've any information about this let me know..
    thanks ..
    Hari.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    You may contact your local temple. The priest might be able to help.

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sabari mala

Quote Originally Posted by venkathari
    hi all,
    I just joined the hub. I live in California... I was just wondering, if there is anyway I can wear Ayyappa Mala from here and then go to India in december or january to go to Sabari mala... Somebody, if u've any information about this let me know..
    thanks ..
    Hari.
    Its a good thought!! But dont you think the viradham could be a bit difficult, how would you walk in the streets of california without patharakshalu

is it ok to wear shoes while you are wearing ayappa mala?

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Sandeep's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gayathri
    But dont you think the viradham could be a bit difficult, how would you walk in the streets of california without patharakshalu

is it ok to wear shoes while you are wearing ayappa mala?
    Hey now a days no one follows those strict rules even in India. Some of the rules may have had some definite reason in olden days but may no more be relevent.

After all the sabarimala temple athorities themselves changed rules so that temple can be opened for first 5 days of every month. Wasnt it driven by comercial realities. Moreover if you are honest in your love and devotion to god, he will not be conserned with your wearing footwear.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sandeep
    Hey now a days no one follows those strict rules even in India. Some of the rules may have had some definite reason in olden days but may no more be relevent.
    hit the nail on its head....

in the days when they formulated all these rules, sabarimala was totally inaccessible, in the middle of a very dangerous jungle. It has been tamed to certain extent now. walking with bare foot is just to get a feel and practise of the terrain that one has to endure for 40 miles. Nowadays, there is a road that leads up to pamba river and the trek is less than 4 miles on a well laid well lit pathway.
    I am not asking anyone to throw away these rules but relaxing them to some extent is not something undesirable to do.

Senior Member Senior Hubber nirosha sen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Observing dietary restrictions, I can well understand but why do people have to dress up in those dark clothes? It's more form than substance to me, Pa!!

Anyway, all dogma is anathema to me! I'm still searching though for my spirituality.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nirosha sen
    Observing dietary restrictions, I can well understand but why do people have to dress up in those dark clothes? It's more form than substance to me, Pa!!

Anyway, all dogma is anathema to me! I'm still searching though for my spirituality.
    Ayyappa himself is called as "nIlavastradhAri". He wears ablue vastram. The jungles around sabarimala is full of elephants and tigers. I myself have seen fresh elephant dung while trekking through the forest. There are posters and notices all around of that being a tiger sanctuary and in 1994-95 we heard the growl at night once. There are loads of wild buffalo and wild boar around. These animals usually get attracted to bright colours and this is the idea in not wearing bright red or white vastrams. Blue vastram blends with the environment and chances of you getting noticed is minimal. Nowadays people wear all sorts of colour...

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Ayyapa , the highest spiritual means

Ayyappa is the son of vishnu and shiva. Vishnu is the sleeping consciousness (sath) and shiva is the dancing awareness (chith). Ayyappa is in the sitting posture to denote the two aspects to be experienced in life (sitting is neither in action (awareness) nor in-action (consciousness). Our true nature is consciousness, but for consciousness to experience itself, it takes a form of a body (awareness). We have taken a human form to experience our true nature, that is consciousness. Unfortunately we are always in the body form and we never experience that our true nature is consciousness. The ignorance is that we are just bodies that take birth and die, hardly ever even understanding that our true nature is not the body but that consciousness which is the power behind the functioning of the body.

Spiritual practices are meant to help us to know that our true nature is consciousness. What we have to break is our concept that we are the body. The vrtham to go to sabarimala is for this purpose.

The 41 days of vritham is to denote life's gestation total period of 41 weeks. Wearing black clothes is the traditional dress to indicate total with-drawl of mind from the action performing state to the awareness state. All colors originate from white but when mixed gives black color. The mind always goes after colors and to transcend that mind from the wavering colors , black is given to focus on the awareness. Withdrawing the mind from awareness to consciousness state is sadhana, which is to realize "consciousness". This is the purpose of life. We cannot give up actions. Through actions we transcend the “mindful state “Consciousness" state. This bliss is referred as "Sath-chith-ananda...which in modern terms is the bliss of "Being" in consciousness-awareness state.

Through objective ways we can never know consciousness because we are confusing with awareness, which is subjective.

Ayyapa vratha is a spiritual journey representing life. We get the knowledge of consciousness (Atma) through a guru and so we first go to a guru to get into the vratham. we use a tulsi mala as a means to do mantra japa holding on to its 108 beads. 108 is a mathematical rhythm of nature.

Then the one who does Ayyappa vratham address everyone as "Swami Ayyappa" to denote he or she is really the manifestation of consciousness. Swamiye Saranam (Thou protect me and I surrender). What has one possess to surrender?., Only the “I” thought. Many mis understand the “Surrender” to God or higher self. One has nothing to surrender other than the “I” thought or the identity to body mind complex thought. So in Ayyappa vrtham one does not mention one’s name or does other’s names or even relationships. Saranam Ayyappa is constantly repeated to drive in the thought that even this body is functioning through the power of consciousness. This is why during vratham the person keeps chanting swamiyae saranam ayyappa, even while eating sitting, walking and all mundane and professional and spiritual actions.

Importance is not given to physical comforts of body and so no shaving, no nail cutting, no wearing shoes etc is done so that it helps the mind to transcend from the body sense to the awareness state and finally to consciousness state.

On the 41s t day one starts to Sabarimala. The coconut represents the human body, the outer shell of the coconut symbolizes ego, and the ghee is the devotion one replaces the coconut water ( attraction to objects) in it. . Devotion comes over time with efforts and understanding, which is why ghee is used that is obtained from processing milk, churning curd , getting butter and melting it to ghee. Coconuts have three eyes: two eyes represent the intellect and the third eye is the spiritual eye. In the bag there are two compartments. The rear compartment of the Irumudi symbolizes 'Praarabdha Karma' (accumulated worldly possessions). The devotee exhausts all the worldly possessions during the journey and reaches the Sannidhanam with the ghee filled coconut
    The walk by foot through the jungle symbolizes that the path to spirituality requires greater efforts.

On the way to sabarimala in Erumeli, one removes one’s own identity which is why in pettai thullal we apply color powder to our body and understand this body is the colorful spectrum of this universe to explore, experience and experience consciousness. The devotee dances in bliss and finally washes in holy pampa river, the identity of mind-body sense complex. This taking bath is the purification of the mind After this transcendence one climbs the 18 steps of "means of knowledge". Reaching the pinnacle, we get the darshan of the lord holding chhin mudra representing the "wholeness of consciousness". Then one breaks the coconut and showers the devotion on the lord. the coconut is finally burned in fire symbolizing knowledge. This act leads us to the understanding of the "Purpose of life"

I have written just a gist of Ayyappa thathva....a great spiritual pilgrimage one can have in life. Even living any where in this world one can do this vritham and understand the "True" nature of one's Being", which is consciousness.

Unfortunately people go to sabarimala to get a better job, house, car, promotion or to overcome physical illness , you name any obligations. One has to clearly understand that these things always comes even without going to sabarimala or praying to God. These spiritual practices and journey is for us to experience the bliss of knowing our own true nature. Otherwise we will one day be dead leaving this body and not knowing the true purpose of getting into this body and living life on earth. The Jyothi in sabarimala is the final indication of seeing our own “Inner Light” the Consciousness” which created this world and through which all manifestations arise and finally dissolves. Swamiyae Saranam Ayyappa.

Post Thanks / Like
    :P Hi! Pradheep - that was a very detailed explanation and I sincerely appreciate your effort. I believe Vishnu took the avatar as Mohini, the enchantress and a son was created between Mohini and Shiva = SREE AYYAPPAN. :P :P

Can you pls. tell us why women are allowed in Sabrimala only after their fifties (I know the main reason) but I would prefer a comprehensive account on this ancient tradition held and observed by all.

Some say that being a Bramachari he is against younger woman offering prayers to him - I find this hard to accept! I trust he is not anti-women - all negative thoughts could be man made!!

SONU GOPI

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Sandeep's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sonu gopi
    :P Hi! Pradheep - that was a very detailed explanation and I sincerely appreciate your effort. I believe Vishnu took the avatar as Mohini, the enchantress and a son was created between Mohini and Shiva = SREE AYYAPPAN. :P :P

Can you pls. tell us why women are allowed in Sabrimala only after their fifties (I know the main reason) but I would prefer a comprehensive account on this ancient tradition held and observed by all.

Some say that being a Bramachari he is against younger woman offering prayers to him - I find this hard to accept! I trust he is not anti-women - all negative thoughts could be man made!!

SONU GOPI
    Reasons given by Devaswam board:

The concept about Ayyappa as installed at Sabarimala is that of a 'brahmachari in penance' (not just bhamachari). So women shouldnt disturb him.

41-day penance that is needed before undertaking the pilgrimage is impossible for young women because of menstruation.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast