Page 2 of 166 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Films of Mani Ratnam

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah Idaya Kovil
    My ear led me into it, as I remember the song 'Koottathile Kovil Pura'
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry folks, it is not Idhaya Tamarai, it is Idhaya Koil...

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its a gr8 thread. Infact im also a gr8 fan of Mani. Never miss any of his movies. I dont know y some didnt like AE. and the way he directed the movie was diff. and i felt that im watchin 3 diff movies.
    And Kannathil mutthamittal is the only movie which got 5 star rating by Times of india in delhi. And as far as i know it was the only other language movie which was rated in delhi(usually they rate only hindi n eng movies).

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to like Mani Rathnam until Roja.

But Bombay was a cheap shot. After that, all his movies have been provocative using shock and awe tactics only.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber Nerd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys ! Please please please keep the Thalai-Malai clashes out of this thread. Nearly every other thread is loaded with them.
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Prabhu Ram
    The lean mean no-nonsense story teller of Mouna Raagam,Naayagan and Anjali, and the visual experimenter of Agni Natchatram has slowly become afflicted with an mid-life disease called social responsibility.
    yeah - i'd say that's an accurate observation on his filmmaking - wouldn't really go so far as to call him one-dimensional, but yes, his penchant for taut storytelling certainly seems to have lost its vim.

i think mani suffers from a syndrome that seems to affect all great filmmakers at some point - if you look at the standards he set for himself with his early films ("Mouna Ragam", "Nayagan") - its tough for anyone to cross (or even reach) that threshold - even if you're mani ratnam !

part of the problem also probably lies with the audience ... every time an MR film is released we go to the theatres expecting to see a "Nayagan" - which probably fuels the disappointment when you get films like "Alai Payuthey".
    this is especially true for movies like "Kannathil Mutthamittal" and "Iruvar" which were great films in their own right, but probably failed to win favour with audiences because they fell below the standards set by "Nayagan" ...
    i don't think we're being fair to mani if we expect him to dish out a Nayagan every time - so that attitude has probably got to change ...

Post Thanks / Like
    this is interesting -

i happened to be reading an article the other day that made an interesting comparison between mani ratnam and another great filmmaker from the west - oliver stone, the man who made memorable films like "Platoon", "JFK" and "Any Given Sunday".

if you make a comparative study, it's strange to see the similarity in their career paths - both achieved tremendous success very early on (mani with "Mouna Ragam", stone with "Platoon", which won him an oscar) - both were hailed, at that point, as brilliant young filmmakers, on course to revolutionise the art.
    both went from strength to strength and their films only got better ("Nayagan", "Roja" for Mani, similarly "Wall Street", "Born on the Fourth of July" for Stone).

but somewhere down the line things started going wrong and they started sacrificing their USPs in favour of grandeur - mani ratnam made "Bombay" and Stone "The Doors", "Natural Born Killers" - the canvasses became larger, the storylines more contrived, the plots started losing their unique flavour.

of course, they still show flashes of their brilliance now and then -mani's "Dalapathi", "Iruvar" and stone's "JFK" (possibly one of the greatest films ever to come out of Hollywood). occassionally one gets the eerie feeling that these men are probably past their greatest days as filmmakers. but that doesn't stop us from awaiting with bated breath, the next offering from their stables.

Post Thanks / Like
    my favorite mani ratnam movie is
    NAYAGAN & THALABATHY
    B'COZ-
    NAYAGAN:
    [1]KAMAL
    [2]ILAYARAJA'S MUSIC
    [3]GREAT STORY(BASED ON A TRUE STORY)

THALABATHY:
    [1]ILAYARAJA'S MUSIC
    [2]RAJINI(BEST EVER PERFOMANCE THAT I
    HAVE EVER SEEN FROM RAJINI)
    [3] FIGHT SCENES
    [4]MAMOOTY

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    vijay asked mani to make a film for him..while i hear that news i was laughing.and i depressed at mani.wat a great director in india going to do worst job.if mani direct vijay.mani wil lose his name in indian cine industry.
    mani directed Rajini..'coz of rajini is the great actor.he is the wonderful entertainer in indian actors.the dialogue delivery of rajini fantastic than any actor.he is the perfect match of DON character.but vijay he don't know how to act.
    if mani going direct a new movie.he can direct a movie with surya or ajith.if it is a love story.then it wil be a madhavan .if it is a don character that must be "Ajith" .if it is a normal commercial story.that may be ajith or surya.
    if it is film for historical then it wil be for vikram..

vijay can dance for one song in his film.'coz he knows that only.

Page 2 of 166 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast