11 22.45%
  • Post 2003

0 0%
Page 4 of 166 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Films of Mani Ratnam

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by selvakumar
    I still have a doubt whether Mani can bring the same unique style which Kalki used in his novels to the silver screen. The characters in the movie should be played by matured actors and I think Mani knows this clearly. But the problem might be the budget. Producers might not feel very good to spend crores and crores for this film even if it has popular actors.
    you are absolutely right ... maybe that's why it's still a DREAM project !!
    but if this really is mani's big dream, then i seriously hope it materializes ... bcos as you say, he must be aware of the enormous complexities that a project of this magnitude will involve. and he would never step into a project like this KNOWING that he can't adapt it to screen. so if he does end up doing it, i'm sure we'll be in for a treat !!
    "Whenever I feel the need for exercise, I go and lie down for half an hour until the feeling passes." - Will Rogers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber nickraman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hope that he directs more Hinidi films!
    "aaj ka mera hey, kalka thera hey, side-dish pagoda hey, ye hey life hey"

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Sinthiya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Director Maniratnam

[tscii]Manirathinam on his film ‘Guru’ IndiaGlitz [Monday, January 08, 2007]

Manirathinam is a man of few words. He lets his movies do all the talking.

With Guru set for release this Pongal, Manirathinam has opened his heart out on the movie and his forthcoming plans.

Speaking about Guru, the director said that it is a movie that traces the life of two characters. The film is an account of the events that occur in their life from their teens till they grow old. Abhishek Bachchan and Aishwarya Rai play couples while Mithun Chakraborthy is cast as a veteran journalist. Madhavan plays a cub reporter under the tutelage of Mithun Chakraborthy. Vidya Balan plays his wife.

The movie has six songs. “It is my 20th directorial venture,” he said.

Manirathinam says, “All the artistes have lived the characters. The story begins in 1950 and is set around Mumbai.” What next? Manirathinam says, “Once I complete a movie, I take rest for the next six months and spend my time with my son Nandha.”

On rumours that Mani would soon direct a Hollywood movie, the director in his usual style, said, “Why should I, when Hollywood movies are turning towards India?”

One of the few directors to have emerged a successful producer,
    Manirathnam said, “It is for my comfort that I became a producer. I need not compromise when I direct my own movie.”

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/t...cle/28305.html

Post Thanks / Like
    The Promos of Mani Ratnam's Guru are disappointing. All the scenes seem to be very similar to his earlier scenes from various movies. The music is ordinary compared to his previous movies.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Saamy
    The Promos of Mani Ratnam's Guru are disappointing. All the scenes seem to be a replica of his earlier scenes from various movies. The music is ordinary compared to his previous movies.
    Can you name those movies

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by great
    The Promos of Mani Ratnam's Guru are disappointing. All the scenes seem to be a replica of his earlier scenes from various movies. The music is ordinary compared to his previous movies.
    same rain dance, thirumalai naayakkar mahal dance. abishek speaking like the lead pair in iruvar.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    same rain dance, thirumalai naayakkar mahal dance. abishek speaking like the lead pair in iruvar.
    Are they using the same dialogues

your point is " All the scenes seems to be a replica of various movie " . There might be different reason for using the particular location , just becoz mani is using the same location does it mean ALL THE SCENES are replica of various movie

Post Thanks / Like
    Are they using the same dialogues

your point is " All the scenes seems to be a replica of various movie " . There might be different reason for using the particular location , just becoz mani is using the same location does it mean ALL THE SCENES are replica of various movie
    okie replica is not the exact word to use... i will edit my post now..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mani to do a Tamil film after Lajjo
    My film is not a bio-pic": Mani Ratnam
    By Moviebuzz
    Happy News! Mani Ratnam, one of the finest directors in mainstream commercial cinema is back with Guru in Hindi and its dubbed version in Tamil. The path-breaking director is one to be admired. He has kept the flag of uncompromised cinema flying against all odds.

Mani sir as he is affectionately called by friends, is a film maker whose calling card remains his artistry and intellectual disposition. On the eve of the release of Guru, sitting in his aesthetically done up posh office at Boat Club area in Chennai, casually dressed in a blue jeans and a printed cotton shirt, Mani took time off to speak exclusively to Sify.com.

Any pre-release jitters?
    (Laughs) Not at all. But as a producer like anyone else I am anxious. Guru is getting premiered at Toronto on Thursday (Jan 11) at Elgin and Winter garden theatre centre. It is the place where most Hollywood films are premiered and I think that Guru will be the first Indian film to be premiered there.

How different is Guru from your earlier films
    Guru is my 20th film in a career spanning nearly 24 years. It is the opposite of Yuva, my last release as it is the journey of a single person. The character is shown from his 15 to 70th year.

Nayakan was also similar..
    Yes to a certain extent, they are in the same genre as far as the concept of a person’s life time from youth to old age is depicted.

What is the one-line story of Guru?
    The tagline says it all- “ Villager, Visionary, Winner”. The story is about Gurukanth Desai or Guru, a guy from a village, crossing all obstacles that come his way and how he triumphs against all odds. Just after Independence up to the 70’s, the country as a whole was turning to the left of the centre. For a lot of people, it had an old world charm about it. Suddenly Guru comes and shakes the edifice as we see what happened, in the late 70‘s and 80’s. We became individualistic and right of centre. It happened to us before we realize that times have changed. In the film, we see all these changes through the character of Guru.

There is an uncanny resemblance to the life and times of late Dhirubhai Ambani the man who changed our system. Please comment
    It could be anybody. I am definitely trying to connect the character with real life. Why Ambani, it could be Mittal? Let us make it clear that my film is not a bio-pic. Guru is taken from different spirits and attitudes of a handful of people who have changed our society and business environment. A lot of visionaries spirit and attitude may have gone to create the character of Gurukanth Desai.

Everybody in the unit has been raving about Abhishek Bachchan‘s performance. Having worked with so many talented actors in India, what is your opinion on him as an actor?
    He was always my first choice to play Gurukanth Desai. Let me tell you that Abhishek carries the entire film on his shoulders and he is remarkable for his body language and gradual transition from a young ,man to a matured old man. There is a lot of nuances and subtlety in his seamless performance. While watching the first copy of the film, I could get the touch and feel of Guru in him.

What about Ash?
    She has been underrated as an actress. I know her from Iruvar days when she brilliantly etched out two dramatically opposite characters. I’m even more happy with her performance now. Her character of Sujatha is a strong willed woman and is the conscience of Gurukanth Desai. There is a lot of ease and grace that goes into her performance. It looks real.

How was working with Mithun Chakravarthy?
    He plays Manikdas Gupta or Nanaji a 60 plus character. He is an eccentric man who believes in old school values and ideals. Initially he helps Guru in his growth but later falls out with him over principles, Only Mithun da could play my Nananji with conviction.

What is the secret of great partnership with A.R.Rahman?
    (Smiles) Every time we work together it is like our first film. We understand each other perfectly.

The songs are the best we heard in recent times and with Mani’s picturisation they are sure to become more popular after the release? Please comment?
    (Just Smiles)

Tell us why you had Mallika Sherawat in the film and the song ?
    I am showing an episode in Guru’s early life. The whole song is in a concise form of his life in Turkey and so Rahman has given it a middle eastern flavour. The song actually helps me to move the story forward.

What about the Shreya Gosal classic Barso Re…
    Guru comes back from Turkey to his village. It brings rural India back to focus. We are cutting from Turkey to India with this song that is also the backdrop of Guru meeting Sujatha for the first time. I would like to say that the background score of Guru is very good. It brings out the aggressive and determination traits of my protagonist. We have used a lot of rhythms and voices in the music.

In Guru you have gone back to your favourite cameraman Rajeev Menon(They had last done Bombay ) How is Guru visually?
    Absolutely brilliant. Rajeev’s camera has given the film an authentic look. Please note that it is a period film and his camera need to evoke that feel from 50’s to 80’s. The early period he has given a yellow hue and as the film progresses it turn into blue hue. Even the camera from a hand held becomes steady in the later half. Rajeev has been able to provide the look and feel of the period .

Why did you prefer the veteran Sreekar Prasad as the editor?
    I believe in a single style for a film and will never resort to any gimmicks. Story telling requires a particular rhythm in editing and it should not interfere with narration. I think Sreekar Prasad is the best in the country.

Why did you decide to dub Guru into Tamil
    I feel that there is a market for it. Our audiences will definitely to be able to relate to the film.

After Guru, what are your plans?
    I have a commitment to make Lajjo a film with Aamir Khan and Kareena Kapoor. I will be working on the script of the film which will start rolling from October.

Why are you not doing any Tamil films?
    As I told you earlier, I have a commitment to keep After Lajjo I will do a Tamil film.

Any plans to make your production company, Madras Talkies go public as entertainment industry is booming?
    No chance. I want to make movies the way I want to do it. I am not here just to do business alone, I want to make good cinema.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber joe's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guru - Review by a notable blogger

http://icarus1972us.blogspot.com/200...ru-review.html
    பாசமலருக்கு அழாதவன் மனுஷனாடே ! - சுயம்புலிங்கம்

Page 4 of 166 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast