• 1997 - 2002

11 22.45%
  • Post 2003

0 0%
Page 66 of 166 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116 ... LastLast

Thread: Films of Mani Ratnam

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Anban's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    illa MADDY, we want movies from a director who infuses westernized emotions into a tamil movie with artificiality written all over it, appealing to a particular section of the society who are more brand conscious than others..
    Top glamorous heroines, top comedian, Oscar winning MD, commercial Director, expensive wig and other big list of commercial items irunthum thaathaa padam flop .. itha vida enna asingam venum ..

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDY
    Quote Originally Posted by A.ANAND
    ethana peru puthusu puthusa vanthalum unna minja ennoruthan poranthu-than varanum thalaiva!
    the direction tamil movies are going, it looks unlikely that another maniratnam will ever come.......
    Its the market that dominates more. If a tamil movie is released, it doesnt even go to Karnataka for release but when a hindi movie is released, leave alone India, its being released in our neighbouring states, a huge stack in the western countries. Obviously its the Madras talkies who are producing .. arent they

Senior Member Diamond Hubber MADDY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aalavanthan
    Quote Originally Posted by A.ANAND
    ethana peru puthusu puthusa vanthalum unna minja ennoruthan poranthu-than varanum thalaiva!
    the direction tamil movies are going, it looks unlikely that another maniratnam will ever come.......
    Its the market that dominates more. If a tamil movie is released, it doesnt even go to Karnataka for release but when a hindi movie is released, leave alone India, its being released in our neighbouring states, a huge stack in the western countries. Obviously its the Madras talkies who are producing .. arent they
    i was not talking abt the market dynamics and why mani went to hindi - i meant the level of objective filmmaking and visual story telling that mani gives will be missed.......i dont see any young director in tamil who strives to follow mani's approach to filmmaking

edhukku madurai mela indha kolai veri. the oldest city in south india and one of the oldest cities of the world. It is widely considered as cultural capital for tamilnadu and it played very vital role in the development of Tamil.
    no - i just wished for more films on madurai.......
    _________
    Rahman's music is the ringtone on God's mobile phone

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    True.. But I was talking about the marketing here

He still maintains his record for not shooting outside India. Raavana I think is going to be a visual treat and the way you want it. We still have no idea about the story, yet we believe

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bollywood myth will be broken soon.
    Maniratnam is a Tamil director.
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Post Thanks / Like
    - i meant the level of objective filmmaking and visual story telling that mani gives will be missed.......i dont see any young director in tamil who strives to follow mani's approach to filmmaking
    Regarding visual story telling - I think Bala and selva both are awesome in this aspect.

7G rainbow colony - I found the total movie to be boring and irritating..but the image in the climax where kadhir runs with the mat and pillow on which the dead body of anitha was placed -

In pithamagan Vikram looking at the skull of surya in the grave yard and sithan(who was accustomed to it) being unable to watch it- visually conveyed a lot.

The climax scene of Sethu where vikram gets ready to get inti the van and turns back ... there are lots of scenes.

regarding "objective film making" - ennanu purila.I take it as not being subjective in story telling or charecterization - as charu asks to velu nayakkar "naan pandradhu ungalukku thappunnu padudhilla..neenga pandradhu oorukke thappa padudheppa"

[GM : "ungalukkellam 50 vayasukku apram edhukuda vela..kammunaati pasangala....adhaan panam kudukurangalla vangitu poga vendiyadhuthana"]

I think selva was extraordinary in that aspect - especially in pudhupettai....dhanush hugging the villain and crying after killing the him...

infact its better that wannabe maniratnams are not there in TN - it may result in many gowtham menons...
    OM NAMASIVAYA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NOV
    Bollywood myth will be broken soon.
    Maniratnam is a Tamil director.
    I dont think there is any such myth - I think he is still considered as a Tamil director working in Bollywood.
    OM NAMASIVAYA

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Bala (Karthik)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maddy,
    How about a poll on Mani Sir's best film and album?
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivasaayi
    Regarding visual story telling - I think Bala and selva both are awesome in this aspect.
    i meant, Maniratnam moves a story with visuals and minimal dialogues........u can hardly pick a scene in maniratnams' movie, where accident takes place and there is a dialogue "accident aaiduchhu" ......obviously we have seen the accident and we dont need someone to say that again.......emotions are more powerful than dialogues is the general theme of his movies........but watever dialogues come out, they are blistering - naa adichha sethhuduva, surya sir orasadhinga etc etc

reg objectivity, maniratnam is very clear that he is just a filmmaker and is not here to judge someone or prove anything......how tough it is to make a dual-hero subject like agni natchithram and be non-judgemental abt the characters

now see, if Bala and selva can match mani in this.........to be fair, i havent seen bala, selva movies more than once.......i remember reading a stunning piece written by Equanimus in his blog where he compares how maniratnam takes only 30 mins to establish ruthlessness of inba in AE whereas Selva takes 3 hrs for that in PP(or something close to that)......reminds me of "chinna pasanga" dialogue in VV
    _________

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bala (Karthik)
    Maddy,
    How about a poll on Mani Sir's best film and album?
    great idea .....but i dread if thalapathi, nayagan lead Anjali, AN, Ayidha ezhuthu and Uyire in best albums poll :P

lets start with best film - Naygan, Uyire, Alaipauthey for me
    _________