Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What made ppl to turn towards IR

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

What made ppl to turn towards IR

I am a hard core IR fan. This is a question normally one doesnt ask themselves, but I started wondering what made "Hindi listening" ppl to turn towards IR music.

In case of ARR, we all know that he created a fusion between western and indian and produced the tunes, so far long time for ppl who only listened to indian music (across india), this was a good change and started liking ARR music, but IR didnt bring any western or anything else. IR's folk songs are introduced heavily much in mid to late 80s than early 70s.

So whats special about IRs music that turned our ears towards tamil music?

I am eagarly waiting for answers from music critics.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    "but IR didnt bring any western or anything else" is quite subjective...as some of his early compositions like 'uRavAdum nenjam' had a dose of western classical style orchestration, treated in a way far different from his predecessors (or even northies, with an exception of Salilda, may be)...even `machAnappAththeengaLA' had terrific chords...

And the shift from Hindi snob didn't happen overnight just within a couple of hit folk albums...if anything, Raja won over only those crowd that was previously listening to MGR-Shivaji stuff with those hits...others liked the songs but sceptical about him becoming what he became later on...

The real catch, IMHO, was to happen later, with albums like uRavAdum nenjam, iLamai oonjalAdukiRathu, sigappu rOjAkkaL, azhagE unnai..., avaL appadiththAn, pagalil oru iravu (TN's tea shop / bus music culture started with iLamai oonjal album, again IMHO, which effectively tackled the onslaught of hum kisise kum naheen and the likes)...

I think the whole deal was sealed with ullAsappaRavaigaL...no need to look any further for great music, Raja has by then become the one-stop-shop...with songs like azhagu Ayiram and nAn undhan thAyAga vENdum, why should anyone listen to western or hindi anymore? (For those classical lovers / folk group, there is treat too in germaniyin / dheiveega rAgam etc.) And with albums like nizhalgaL and Johny, there was absolutely no comparisons anymore...

So, answer(s) to your question:
    -consistently great scores
    -not confining to one genre (folk or western or classical or fusion or any)
    -not confining to one style / formula...always going for new trends to be set
    -ever willing to experiment / surge ahead of peers with unique, inimitable stuff (RDB commented after listening to kOzhi koovudhu that IR was a decade ahead of them)...how often you get to listen to a path breaker like `ninaivellAm nithya'?

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    In comparison (on experimentation on a purely musical perspective), successful MDs like ARR and Vidhyasagar pale...

Agreed ARR enhanced the recording quality / pure western pop techno etc and he has been pretty consistent in `packaging' listenable music for more than a decade...However, compare Roja (or thiruda, thiruda) to any latest album from him, can you notice any big trend change? Nop...

No wonder people who have a fraction of his talent (HJ, YSR, Bharadwaj etc.) but have access to gadgets can manufacture similar scores for a fraction of his charge...

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    "In case of ARR, we all know that he created a fusion between western and indian and produced the tunes"....sir, credit kodukka vEndiyadhu Shri G Ramanathan'ukku (ARR's koLLu thAthA) `yAradi nee mOhini' kEttadhuNdA?

Post Thanks / Like
    Eden

Thanks for the reply. I am hoping more people will join this thread, because there is something we all can benefit from this. IR's music made me going to music class at the age of 32 (too late and sometimes i am ashamed of myself sitting next to a 5 year old, but now I have a one on one coach, so i am not worried about anything. the ultimate goal is to understand what IR is trying to convey thru his music) and I am sure this thread will be of educational value for music lovers like me.

I didn know tht G Ramanathan is ARRs's kollu thatha - thanks for the info.

Speaking of RDB complementing IR, one Mr Ashok Sukla (sound engineer for more than 50 hindi movies and few tamil movies, including Oomai Vizhigal) told me that he had close relationship with IR and RDB and IR is always keen on what RDB does and RDB on the other hand is always keen on what IR does and they have great respect for each other.

Thanks again

Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

What made people turn towards IR

For me it was the orchestration. Initially IR used a lot of guitar in his orchestration and then violin & flute. The other thing about IR's songs which are/were unique for me making me such an ardent fan of his was the life in his songs. On hearing his compositions, it really affected my moods personally. The compositions would linger with me through day and night.

Those are the things I found unique with IR and made me such an ardent fan which I am still to experience with other's compositions.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber MADDY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMHO and a lay man's view--IR's music had a very earthy feel and ppl.(villagers) started relating themselves to this kinda music.......that was the most important thing IR did- Hindi music listeners came running to him bcos of this........and moreover he was such a genius that he was bound to be successful......

To mr.eden,
    y r u so insecure abt. ARR? U come to ARR forums- u'll hardly find anyone degrading IR cos we know ARR is the best......i dunt think IR's gr8ness is enhanced by insulting ARR......i dunt know, this concept is never understood by even very intelligent IR fans(subbudu).......
    u asked wat is the difference bet'n Roja-ARR and Swades-ARR-buddy if u cant see this difference then i dunt think u can see difference bet'n a "sembaruthi chedi and a Aalamaram"......

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys, Maddy has a point. You dont have to hurt/degrade someone to praise IR. For IR fans, IR is great for ARR fans ARR great and nothign can change that.

Maddy I really intend to start this thread to educate myself and not to start another IR-ARR war. I appologize (on IR fans behalf) if we hurt your feelings

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Digression:
    MADDY, I have nothing against ARR and I do enjoy some of his music...the opening post of the thread had some inaccuracies IMHO (sounding like ARR invented fusion)...my posting was just to correct the fact...
    End-digression

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDY
    difference bet'n a "sembaruthi chedi and a Aalamaram"......
    Cute uvamai maddy - liked it a lot

NagaS
    NagaS

My Blog (Tamil): http://nchokkan.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast