Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: corner plot lucky or unlucky????

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    just a question, a number of you would have stayed in boarding school or stayed in your college hostel.
    Did the location, room number matter to you? Did you have the freedom to choose your room no.?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber lordstanher's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: corner plot lucky or unlucky????

Quote Originally Posted by blahblah
    This simply means that you have 'some blind beliefs'.I don't see the Americans or the Swiss going for such superstition,and it appears that they do quite well without all this .
    Actually I rem. once reading in our paper tat even Indians in the olden days (say 30-40 yrs ago) hardly had ne belief in Vaasthu etc....
    my parents didn't, when they built our ex-house at hyd. in 1978! This became a more recent trend...
    Incidentally, circa 5-6 yrs ago, one of my father's old friends, a retd. professor who lived close to our ex-house, got his whole house (built nearly the same time as ours) demolished down to the foundation bcos it seemed it wasn't in accordance w/ Vaasthu! and then he got it re-built from the scratch as per Vaasthu spec......
    Pity 'cos the old house looked quite nice and then imagine how much money wud've been wasted on the demolition + re-construction!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Querida's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    what's vaasthu?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Surya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vaasthu is placing the rooms, the doorway etc all in the right places, facing the right directions.

Lord,
    Really? That's strange, my parents built a house here in cali when I was back when I was like 12, and that was like 11 years ago, and still did it according to vaastu shastra. Corner plot or not, might be a bit farfetched, but Vaasthu is real. That just me btw.
    Back after a while...

Senior Member Regular Hubber aravindhan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: corner plot lucky or unlucky????

Quote Originally Posted by lordstanher
    Actually I rem. once reading in our paper tat even Indians in the olden days (say 30-40 yrs ago) hardly had ne belief in Vaasthu etc.... my parents didn't, when they built our ex-house at hyd. in 1978! This became a more recent trend...
    Absolutely. Traditional house design - at least in south India - does not resemble Vaasthu. Furthermore, in the 1970s and 1980s, almost nobody knew Vaasthu. One of my professors was doing some research at the time where he came across a reference to the Vaastu shastra. He actually had to learn the Malayalam script to find out more about it because the only book he could find which contained it was a temple construction manual printed in Travancore in the 19th century!

Vaasthu really only came into use in the 1990s when Vedicisms suddenly became fashionable. It's not an "ancient tradition" in the sense that it's not been in use for several centuries, and we don't really know if, how, or to what extent it was actually used by people to build their own homes.

Senior Member Senior Hubber lordstanher's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Surya
    Vaasthu is placing the rooms, the doorway etc all in the right places, facing the right directions.
    Yea....I rem. it also specifies as to the room used by which member of the family shud be in wat direction etc....

Quote Originally Posted by Surya
    Lord,
    Really? That's strange, my parents built a house here in cali when I was back when I was like 12, and that was like 11 years ago, and still did it according to vaastu shastra.
    Yes tats wat I said abt it being a relatively recent trend, ie, circa early '90s, if I can rem. right! (which wud make sense in ur parents adopting it 11 yrs ago .....)
    btw, Surya, um....didn't the local builders at the time ur house was built think/find it strange tho??
    And I don't really recall ne myths or facts abt corner plots, since I chose not to believe too strictly in Vasthu, but I do rem. being told tat one shud never buy a plot tat has a road ending to it, cos ppl. who build houses/live in such plots die a horrible death w/ head injury!
    And strange enuff, I knew an old gent in our old locality, who had such a plot, tragically died such a death 5 yrs ago! Of course, I reckon it cud've more likely been bcos he never wore a helmet while riding his scooter!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12