Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Katrina disaster

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Katrina disaster

I am surprised that there is very little ( as far as I have seen, none) discusion about this disaster. Apart from other things, there must be a number of Indian students and people of Indian origin in that area. From:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050901/...world_offers_1
    "With offers from the four corners of the globe pouring in, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has decided "no offer that can help alleviate the suffering of the people in the afflicted area will be refused," State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said Thursday."
    India is not in the list ( in that article) of countries that offered help. I would think that India has vast experience in dealing with natural disasters. Interestingly, Chavez of Venezula offered help and to supply gas. Bush released reserves. Still gas prices have gone up. Most of the victims I see on the TV are dark like us.
    Swarup

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber nirosha sen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Appalling that not one soul had bothered to say a few words of condolences to the bereaved and bereft!! To lose loved ones and one's worldly possessions is a mighty blow to a people known for their resilience in building up their country, and stand tall as a mighty nation.

Amazing isn't it???? When America weeps, she cries alone???? But when the rest of the world has a mere bruise in ego or a bloody nose, it's America and their giving populace that are beseeched?????

TO THE BRAVE PEOPLE OF AMERICA, MY COMMISERATION! You might bend at the knees but may you never break in spirit!!
    Demand a broader view - BBC

Post Thanks / Like
    I think both the comments above were made in haste, and I am deeply saddened to think Swarup or Niro would make such statements. India has time and again, risen up to the aid of her neighbours in trouble, and even to countries so far away in trouble. Perhaps India doesn't have the flamboyance that some other countries have of immediately make proclamations of aid! And given our own economic status, such an action would be foolish in the extreme. After due deliberations, India (which refused aid from various countries following her own disaster of Dec 2004 tsunami, has offered USD 5 Million and other help in disaster recovery and management.

What can we say of our plight, when our own people are willing to so quickly decry India!!

Please see the following statement issued by Ronen Sen, India's Ambassador to the US:

The Government and the people of India have watched with deep shock and sadness, the death and devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina in the southern United States. Having ourselves experienced the tsunami tragedy last year, we can understand the sufferings of the people affected by this natural calamity. Our thoughts and prayers are with them. The people of India stand in solidarity and sympathy with them in these trying times.

The Prime Minister of India, Dr. Manmohan Singh, and, the President Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam have written to President Bush conveying their deep sympathy. External Affairs Minister K. Natwar Singh has sent a message of condolence to Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice. Defense Minster Pranab Mukherjee has also written to Defense Secretary Rumsfeld.

We recall the very close cooperation between India and the United States, to provide succour and support to the tsunami affected countries in the Indian Ocean region. The Indian and US Navies had worked in close cooperation during that disaster, although India itself was one of the affected nations.

On July 18, 2005, President Bush and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had jointly launched the U.S.-India Disaster Relief Initiative (DRI) to strengthen cooperation to prepare for and conduct disaster relief operations and to assist in capacity building in other countries.

As a token of the support of the people and Government of India for the people and Government of the United States, India will contribute US Dollars 5 million to the American Red Cross for relief activities in those areas affected by Hurricane Katrina.

In addition, India has offered large water purification systems for household and community level operations, and to donate essential medicines that may be required. India has the largest number of pharmaceutical companies recognized by the US Food and Drug Administration in any country outside the United States.

A self-sustaining and self-supporting medical team from the Indian Army Medical Corps, including a surgeon, an anesthetist, doctors, nurses and para-medics who have had first hand experience in handling such situations, are ready to fly into the affected region in an Indian Air Force aircraft immediately, subject to U.S. clearance. The team will have its own medical equipment and stores. It is aimed to complement the efforts of U.S. organizations, will not require any additional logistic support and will not in any manner strain existing resources.

A Naval unit comprising of 8 divers and 12 salvage experts are also ready to proceed to the US as soon as required. All that is needed is the necessary clearances..

I have sent letters of sympathy and support to the Governors, Senators and Representatives of Louisiana, Mississippi, Florida, Alabama and Georgia, as also the Mayor of New Orleans. I have also conveyed our admiration at the remarkable support and succour extended by the State of Texas to the vast numbers of those who survived this terrible tragedy who have found shelter in Houston, Dallas and San Antonio.”
    When we stop labouring under the delusion of our cosmic self-importance, we are free of hindrance, fear, worry and attachment. We are liberated!!!

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sri Badri,
    Thanks for your thoughtful comments. You may be right in saying that I posted my message in haste but at that time it was more of puzzlement. I seem to have mixed up the postings on this site with the Indian Govt.'s response. I think that there some posts about London bombings soon after the bombings. It was expected (in the current issue) that Indian Govt. would respond at some stage. I thought that in a crisis immediate condolences and sympathy usually come first. Such things might have been done and I might have missed them. I visited about six Indian sites ( mostly telugu) and was surprised that there was no mention of the disaster. Later, I saw in newspapers that TANA and FDRI started raising funds.

Expressions of puzzlement or criticism are not the same as decrying a country, I think. Even though, the country of origin has a strong hold on one, one has spent years in other countries ( I am actually an Australian citizen now) and one probably looks more critically at different countries. I think there have been criticisms of USA as well as some comments about uncritical appreciation of India's past in this forum. Most of us, in informal forums, make comments which may not come from deep knowledge of issues, and hope to benefit from others' insights to get a quick balanced understanding of the situation. This is mainly to save time ; I for example found Sri Aravindha's comments very helpful. My comments were made in the spirit of ignorance and enquiry rather than decrying any country.

Regards,
    Swarup

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Sandeep's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its not the condolenses of Govts or offers of help that actually count.

I was in US when Tsunami hit asia. People I have not even spoken to before came to me asking if everyone back home was fine. There was genuine consern among the populance.

But in case of Katrina seeing the Indian and even international news papers we can a see a kind of "celebration" of American's failure with regard to Katrina recovery operation.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber pavalamani pragasam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A forwarded message:
    I couldn't' stop making this comparison..

inches of rain in new orleans due to hurricane katrina... 18
    inches of rain in mumbai (July 27th).... 37.1

population of new orleans... 484,674
    population of mumbai.... 12,622,500

deaths in new orleans within 48 hours of katrina...100
    deaths in mumbai within 48hours of rain.. 37.

number of people to be evacuated in new orleans... entire city..wohh
    number of people evacuated in mumbai...10,000

Cases of shooting and violence in new orleans...Countless
    Cases of shooting and violence in mumbai.. NONE

Time taken for US army to reach new orleans... 48hours
    Time taken for Indian army and navy to reach mumbai...12hours

status 48hours later...new orleans is still waiting for relief, army and
    electricty
    status 48hours later..mumbai is back on its feet and is business is as
    usual

USA...world's most developed nation
    India...JUST A DEVELOPING NATION..

oopss...did i get the last fact wrong??? Or am I just being proud of being
    an INDIAN?
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber scorpio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PP ma'm,

Good one OOps, I just couldn't resist though it is bit off-topic..
    Your attitude determines your altitude!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Sandeep's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pavalamani pragasam
    A forwarded message:
    I couldn't' stop making this comparison..
    No doubt US response has been pathetic and yes we have done far better.

Some points to notice

inches of rain in new orleans due to hurricane katrina... 18
    inches of rain in mumbai (July 27th).... 37.1

population of new orleans... 484,674
    population of mumbai.... 12,622,500

deaths in new orleans within 48 hours of katrina...100
    deaths in mumbai within 48hours of rain.. 37.

number of people to be evacuated in new orleans... entire city..wohh
    number of people evacuated in mumbai...10,000
    New Orleans has been rebuild 4 times previously because of Hurricane

Cases of shooting and violence in new orleans...Countless
    Cases of shooting and violence in mumbai.. NONE
    In a country where school shootings are a daily occurance is this a surprise

Time taken for US army to reach new orleans... 48hours
    Time taken for Indian army and navy to reach mumbai...12hours
    US army must have had to come from Iraq While our just had to come from Kashmir. 8)

USA...world's most developed nation
    India...JUST A DEVELOPING NATION..
    USA ... Past
    India ... Future

But having said that we need to realise the following

1) Mumbai the Financial capital of India. New Orleans a party city
    2) Mumbai the affected include the most afluent (so naturally relief is faster), New Orleans affected the most underpriveledged
    3) Mumbai has India's biggest navel base, New Orleans has non nearby
    4) New orleans is below see level and that makes hell of a difference
    5) India has a very efficient PM while US has Bush

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandeep
    5) India has a very efficient PM while US has Bush
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Senior Member Veteran Hubber rajraj's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.hindu.com/2005/09/07/stor...0702811000.htm

I have never seen such a sluggish response from the US government. The author is right about what he says. In 1972 my house was flooded due to Agnes and the response was amazing. May be, because it was closer to Washington,D.C.

If you want to know how to help or donate cash or other needed items visit
    www.redcross.org
    " I think there is a world market for may be five computers". IBM Chairman Thomas Watson in 1943.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast