Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Raga Appreciation

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to share some more information regarding Gamakam.

Take any Sampoorna raga ( for our ease) for experimenting.

when we sing the gamaka like sa ri ga ma, singing adjasent ascending swarams then we call it as AROHANA gamakam.

AVAROHANA gamakam is simillar to the AROHANA gamakam but with descending swarams like sa ni da pa.

DAATU (DALU) gamakam is sung with jumping swarams like Sa Pa, Sa Ma, Sa Ga, Sa Ri.

When it is like Sa Sa Ri Ri Ga Ga Ma Ma ( Janta swarams) then it is called as SPOORITHA gamakam.

KAMPITHA gamakam is singing 2 non-adjasent swaras touching the intermediate swara and it is sung in a series of 3 or 4 times Ma Ri, Ma Ri, Ma Ri touching Ga or Pa Ga,Pa Ga,Pa Ga using Ma.

AHATHA gamakam is like the SPOORITHA gamakam only but the second swara in the pair will take a stress and the first is short and light. Both the swaras should be sung in the same stayi.

PRATHYAHATA gamakam is simillar to AHATHAM but sung to the descending pair of swaras like Ma Ma Ga Ga Ri Ri Sa Sa.

TRIPUCHCHA gamakam is the NEXT swara will join the PREVIOUS swara in pairs in the same stayi.
    The example would be like Ri Sa Sa Ga Ri Ri Ma Ga Ga Pa Ma Ma Da Pa Pa.

ANDOLA gamakam will be the swinger from swaram to swaram denoted by a long note Sa Sa Pa,Pa Sa Ri Sa Ma,Ma - Sa Ri Sa Ga,Ga.
    ( Comma indicates that it is played as a long note with a FULL Swing)

MOORCHANA gamakam is singing the Arohana starting from different swaras like SaRiGaMaPaDaNi - RiGaMaPaDaNiSa - GaMaPaDaNiSaRiGa. This should be sung in madhyama kalam. The last note is usually a long note.

So I was referring to Kampitha gamakam in Kambodhi.( Long Karvai on the P and D and the kampita gamaka on the M are really enchanting.Daatu swara pryogams like "da ga ri ga sa ri da ri sa ni da pa", "ri pa ma ga sa", "ri ma ga sa", and "da ga ri sa" are a speciality of this ragam.)

Moorchana gamakams will be festive in Hamsadhwani, TRIPUCHCHA gamakam is generally sung in slow Nadai/Gathi, Andola gamakams will sound good in ragams like Hamir Kalyani.
    Indrajith

Na Bhootho...Na Bhavishyathi !!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Apanyasa is same sangati is sung in tara and madhyama sthayi. Kambodhi extensively uses this in prayogams like da sa ri ga ma ga... in mandhra, madhyama, tara stayis is really cool. Will write more about the sangathis in next posts.
    Indrajith

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Though the discussion about kambodhi is in progress I would like to leave it to poll, which raga we shall discuss next.....

ReethiGowla
    Sahana
    Bindumalini
    Shanmukhapriya

Pitch in...
    Indrajith

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Indrajith, in response to your query, I'd say Bindhumalini. Reason? It sounds exactly like Malayamaarutham to me, except maybe a tad less emphasis on Dha2.

Administrator Diamond Hubber RR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Indrajith,
    Any raga is ok with me (so long as you'll cover them all ultimately ).

Nitya, I thought Bindumalini is quite distinctive in terms of the feel. But I haven't heard many songs - couple TNS, 1 BMK and 1 instrumental. Any RTP's?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber rajraj's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Indrajith,
    It will be nice if you could deal with ragas that have a lot of compositions so that people can listen to a variety of songs and discern.
    Bindumalini does not have that many compositions. Even Thyagaraja has composed only one in that raga. I don't think Dikshithar and Shyama Sastri have any in that raga unless they called it by a different name.
    Just a suggestion!
    " I think there is a world market for may be five computers". IBM Chairman Thomas Watson in 1943.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber viggop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sahana/Shanmukapriya is my wish

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would vote for Sahana

Nithya: I thought bindumalini and malayamarutham are very different from each other. I've heard shri thygarajar's 'entha mootho entha sogaso' in bindu. It sounds very different from others in malayamarutham like 'malaya maru' (varnam) or 'sitranchiru kalai' (tirupavai).

As far as I know, valaji is very much related to malayamarutham. Malayamarutham sans 'ri' is valaji. Can you explain please?
    We are what we do repeatedly.Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lets go with sahana as of now and see if anyone comes up with some other raga later. I have appealed to all you people that I am not the only one who will write things out here about ragas. ( I am sure that someday or other I will show up my ignorance.

So who is taking up Sahana Raga Appreciation?
    Indrajith

Administrator Diamond Hubber RR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    We need an escape clause. If no one volunteers, Indrajith will take over..

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast