Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Comments on Outlook article & other TiS criticisms

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Comments on Outlook article & other TiS criticisms

http://www.outlookindia.com/full.asp...+%28F%29&sid=1

Is the above
    a) a review of the composer's work?
    b) just a human interest story?
    c) a passing remark on someone's personal life?
    d) Or simply an attempt to kick up controversy?

Make your pick!

The article by S. Anand contains some factual inaccuracies. For e.g., it says that the English lyrics in the album are penned by GU Pope, but these were actually written by Stephen Schwartz. The first English translation of Thiruvasakam was done by the former.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    .......Outlook asked Ilayaraja about Bob Marley, Bob Dylan, Gaddar, his communist brother Varadarajan and even the recent Live-8 performances where music became a mode of protest. "I am beyond such garbage," was his curt reply............

If he meant that Live-8 was garbage, I can accept that. But the statement in Outlook, the way it is worded gives the impression that IR treats Marley and Dylan as garbage.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is your perspective. But to me , it clearly meant that to use such means as a 'protest' and that too using the sacred music for such purposes is 'Garbage'. But you do have a point..... But That is IIR!
    YIA!

Friends, I have a passionate appeal to you all. !!
    Now tht you all have been fully soaked into this music and have been enjoying it, please come out of it for a minute as we still have some unfinished agenda.
    True, all our fans have now either bought or heard this divine album but it is yet to reachALL the people. One solid reason is the mismanagement with the distribution at the initial stage but we have to do our part, no matter what the odds are. When confronted with a situation that it might not have come to USA on time, TisUsa took it upon itself and with the help of all of you, now we at least made sure that it reached all the fans and music lovers on time here. But, this should reach every household and only you can help us here. Please talk to, e-mil, send a complimentary Cd, talk to your local stores and advertise it in any fitting manner you think of but please help us to get the Cd's find everyone hgere in the next fortnight or so.
    This is very important to make this project meet its objective of reaching everyone. Only YOU can do it and please help us. Visit www.tis-usa.com and find out how you can help or suggest us the ways and means.
    As I have been proudly saying for the last two years, only we USNRI's have made this project viable and and reachable from the start to finish and let us complete it now.
    Let us not getinto any criticisms as to how it could have been done but we face now is the reality and your co-operation is highly appreciated as to how to take it further.
    Thank you!
    YIA!!

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Outlook asked Ilayaraja about Bob Marley, Bob Dylan, Gaddar, his communist brother Varadarajan and even the recent Live-8 performances where music became a mode of protest"

whats this supposed to mean?

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is the above
    a) a review of the composer's work?
    b) just a human interest story?
    c) a passing remark on someone's personal life?
    d) Or simply an attempt to kick up controversy?

Make your pick!
    my pick is b, c and d

If people give me chance I can write something similar about this Anand. You don't need knowledge about anything. All you need is certain unconnected data. You don't have to bother about making it as information. Use them as spices in your attrocious curry.

tmrmrt,
    Let me make one thing clear. I was in no way against or ridiculing you asking some HC WCM listeners to comment on the samples. my message was more towards the "please ignore the comments" kind of responses. In fact in my "KularLi viththai kaarai" anology, I meant to welcome these kind of comments invitation. The idea was to mention that we cannot expect a favourable, praising response to this album because it would be first of its kind those people would be listening to. However, with this thought in mind we still have to and can look forward for the comments from all quarters including HC WCM, HC ICM listeners too. I hope (and am sure) that you also had similar expectation when you requested for the comment.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    This Outlook Anand is well-known for his bias for the Tamils and he uses his language skills only to stir up some controversy in whatever manner possible, be it religion, castism, or politics. He is a sort of mischief-monger who thrives in inciting people . It is better to disregard this as 'Garbage' and any further comments on this will only be a waste of time.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber rajasaranam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont know whether this 'Outlook Anand' is anti-tamil or not. But we very well know IR would have uttered the 'nonsense' whatever we found in that Article. IR is no authority to say that Music should be used only for divine purposes. In Fact IR is nothing If not for 'Paavalar varadharajan'. all those 20,000+ music concerts which shaped IR in his early years were not sung in any temple. It was sung to uplift people and people's movement and were a form of protest against this societal system.
    IR has got 'Fans' all over the world but he lacks the charishma of a Gaddar/Bob Dylan. Armed with a single 'Parai' and 'Salangai' Gaddar has the guts to face the atrocious social system and its threats and can make people to wage war against this system. What IR has done in 1000's of films is no equal to what gaddar has done to the movement of PWG in Andhra.
    If this is Considered Garbage by IR Then no wonder he will come up with saying one day that his songs 'manitha manitha ini un vizhigal sivanthaal ulagam vidiyum' or an 'Ezhugavae padaigal ezhugavae' or a 'Poaraada daa oru vaLyenthada' too as garbage.
    Music is not anybody's Wealth its a part of society and it can be used as means of protest in all means. It applies to all arts. Even religion has been made to play a part in freedom movement by 'BGThilak' to unite people against British. And here comes the 'musical genius' who says '"I am beyond such garbage,"
    This said - i can list a no. of Garbages like 'vandhe matharam' , 'achamillai achamillai' etc., for IR to shun as garbage. Let him go ahead with his spiritual, selfish means to attain god and have no rebirths, and let not utter such nonsense on people's movement or using music as a form of protest as garbage.
    Apparently, just being a musical genius is not enough.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Friends, Now TIS-Thiruvasagam by Ilayaraaja is out, it is His moment, it is our moment, we deserve some glory time. Ilayaraaja earned it. Ilayaraaja is a musical genius, as a Ilayaraaja fan it hurts to see the above postings, I least care about the 'outlook' stories or any other story that stir up controversy.Come on lets celebrate our Raaja in this thread.

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    what is Anand's point at the end? What has this got to do with Bob Marley or Bob Dylan? What is IR supposed to protest against with his music? What has this got to do with TIS? Can someone explain?

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I read the the article, the supposed opinion about Dylan, Marley, ... and Live-8 stood out. It was meant to be provocative and it is a deliberate attempt to raise controversy. It is a typical example of a ambiguous question with multiple items. The answer is equally ambiguous since one can't be sure which item in the question has been answered. It is then left at the mercy of the reader to make his own conclusions, which is sad.

My guess is that the answer, 'garbage' refers to the last item of the question which is about Live-8. I watched Live-8 and I thought it was garbage too and there were a lot of concerned critics who thought so too. I don't want to defend my opinion in this thread. The writer of the article has puposely left things ambiguous to provoke and it is likely that IR left it equally ambiguous. It is also very much possible that in a random suvey of all musicians, a significant proportion will refer the music by Dylan, Marley and others as garbage.

So it is important not to go overboard with ones reaction to items in an article. While one expects responsible journalism, it is also reasonable to expect a certain degree of maturity in the reader as well.

Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast