Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which Director had got the best out of IR

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vimalpercy
    I can add one more film of Balu Mahendra
    a film called Veedu which is known for his BGM which IR has put in his album How To name it.
    Vimal,

Veedu was a nice movie. Yes, it was known for its back ground score as there was no song in it

Rettai vaal kuruvi was also by Balu Mahendra , I think and all songs were hit

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    S.Balaji, you are saying Bharathiraja did not spoil any IR's songs? Check again. I used to get sick watching the "devathais" (in white gowns) coming out of no where for almost all songs. I think BR was so obsessed with the white gown "devathais" plus the sunflower with the heroine's face next to it, hero chasing heroine and putting a brake abruptly, hero removing the thorn from heroine's foot - oh! these scenes were so predictable in a typical BR movie.

Btw, how comes you all missed out Fazil? - a true loyalist to IR's compositions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravi_odiyur
    S.Balaji, you are saying Bharathiraja did not spoil any IR's songs? Check again. I used to get sick watching the "devathais" (in white gowns) coming out of no where for almost all songs. I think BR was so obsessed with the white gown "devathais" plus the sunflower with the heroine's face next to it, hero chasing heroine and putting a brake abruptly, hero removing the thorn from heroine's foot - oh! these scenes were so predictable in a typical BR movie.

Btw, how comes you all missed out Fazil? - a true loyalist to IR's compositions.
    Ravi,

Ys yes, you are right. SOmehow, we missed out Fazil. GOod director and also used IR well enough.

Varusham 16
    Poovay poochudava
    Kadhalukku mariyaadhai

etc etc

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Balaji
    Quote Originally Posted by alias
    It is the greatest director on earth MANIRATNAM... Not one song from Maniratnam with IR can be thrown in the dustbin. Each one is gem of its own. Still cherishing that golden alliance.
    But I dont think anybody would have got the best other than BR.

Even MR goofed up the song - Ninnukori varnam by giving flash lights etc etc and it was quite an awful sight

KB spoilt the song - Guruvayoorappa - Pudhu pudhu arthangal

I dont see any song which BR spoilt
    Dude what are u saying MR spoiled it.. he actually enhanced it to look great... The lighting by PC Sriram was the cream of the movie nad i think it suited the songs well. And well I cannot say BR did justice to every song of IR... The example being En Uyir Thozan and Nadodi Thendral where some of the songs were not well picturized and not upto mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Balaji
    It is the greatest director on earth MANIRATNAM... Not one song from Maniratnam with IR can be thrown in the dustbin. Each one is gem of its own. Still cherishing that golden alliance.
    But I dont think anybody would have got the best other than BR.

Even MR goofed up the song - Ninnukori varnam by giving flash lights etc etc and it was quite an awful sight

KB spoilt the song - Guruvayoorappa - Pudhu pudhu arthangal

I dont see any song which BR spoilt
    Dude what are u saying MR spoiled it.. he actually enhanced it to look great... The lighting by PC Sriram was the cream of the movie nad i think it suited the songs well. And well I cannot say BR did justice to every song of IR... The example being En Uyir Thozan and Nadodi Thendral where some of the songs were not well picturized and not upto mark
    Friend,

Please see the song - Ninnukoree varnam , again. Your eyes will be affected !!. For sure, MR goofed up that song. He did not have any clue on how picturise it.

BRs 99% of picturisation will be imaginative and creative. VIsual delight

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    "BRs 99% of picturisation will be imaginative and creative. VIsual delight"....

-I guess alaigal Oyvathillai falls into that 1% (cheap and vulgar)
    -And nobody knows about a movie called `vAlibame vA vA' which sunk without a trace, was it part of 99% or 1%
    -If you want a demo about how to spoil the greatest of songs, just watch the film nizhalgaL...some of the best ever songs for TFM - poongathavE, thAzh thiRavAi & madai thiRandhu...murder...adhuvum 1%-il varum.
    -One woman whom nobody would like see giving lip movements for any song is Rathi Agnihotri (I suffered watching vAn mEghangaLE on a video last week...andha ammAvukku Thamizh theriyAdhungaRadhukkAga, vAya eppadi vEnA kOnalamO?)...atrocious...down goes into dust bin those pudhiya vArpugaL & niRam mARadha pookkaL

No doubt picturisation of songs in SOME BR movies were novel, absolute stunners, phenomenal...(16 vayadhinilE, KP rayil -Radhika is so lovely in poovarasam poo pooththAchchu, even after this many years the song is watchable, kadalOrakkavidhaigaL & best of all mudhal mariyAdhai)...

BR picturisation of songs - I'll give him 50 marks. MR will easily get 90 plus...

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMHO, one director who can come close to MR in music videos (i.e. among those who worked with IR) is R Sundarrajan...

I'm actually planning to start a thread in the "Current" forum exclusively for appreciation of good videos...(& the first one will be `kuzhaloodhum kaNNanukku')...

Post Thanks / Like
    BR goofed up many songs and also had a habit of omitting the best songs from the movie - puththam pudhu kaalai, oru kanam oru yugamaaga, dhooraththil naan kanda un mugam, malargale nadhaswarangal, raasave unna nambi etc.

As for doing visual justice to IR's songs, Mahendran, Manirathnam and to a lesser extent BaluMahendra are my top picks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe Baharathiraaja left out Naadham en jeevane from Kaadhal oviyam too (?!!) or some other song.

Post Thanks / Like
    app_engine

I would love to have a thread for R Sundarrajan. I am a big fan of him, not just for his movies, but also his voice. In Amman Koil Kizhakkalae he has given voice to pretty much every pass by village characters (Its funny if you notice it now!). I love his combination with Satyaraj also, specially Thirumathi Palanisamy.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast