Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Validate the talent of music director via BGM or Song???

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Validate the talent of music director via BGM or Song???

Hello Friends,
    When you ask to compare Music Directors, what are the best criteria to compare them.
    BGM or Song Composition??

I Guess the difficult thing a muscian have to do is to give life to film in the form of background music , as you can see from English film you will feel every scene lively becuase of the BGM which they give.They manage to show things which are not real , realistic becuase of BGM.

So we basically compare the 3 main musicians of Tamil Film Industry.
    1. MSV
    2. IR
    3. AR

So if we compare the 3 of them, i guess IR stands out to be the best among the 3 in BGM,(in my opinion)

I would like to hear from friends what they think about this.

with regards
    vimal

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    They all are great in their period. Dont start unncessary war here. We are all already wounded.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber MADDY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    shalll i bring some medicine for ur wounds njv???

hey vimal dude......IR is the best when it comes to BGM- everyone knows that so i dunt think there is any need for discussion here.......
    _________
    Rahman's music is the ringtone on God's mobile phone

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't understand why one should compare people of different eras...Is it because these three are way beyond their peers in their generation ?
    Raja entered when MSV was fading...and arr's entry was when Raja was focussed in the RPH work(But the fact that he scored the max no of movies per year (51!!) in the yr 92 is a different story) and most of his work were uninspired ...I'm sure guys like ysr would make it big when arr's focus is elsewhere...the transition somehow follows a similar pattern...But the only good thing is , the fading MDs in all these cases were not down and out when their successor came in. They still came out with surprises (MSV with ninaithAlE inikkum...Raja with a KM/avathAram and more...ARR bounced back with boyz.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDY
    shalll i bring some medicine for ur wounds njv???

hey vimal dude......IR is the best when it comes to BGM- everyone knows that so i dunt think there is any need for discussion here.......
    MADDY I really need this. We unecessarily fight between MSV and IR and ARR for no reason. End of the day, they are all great composers that India produced and we should be simply proud of them. I have learnt my lesson during TIS release. If ARR can come and praise IR, and if ARR fans can accept TIS, why not IR fans accept ARR. Thats my take. So I will NEVER EVER discussing anything about ARR-IR war.

BTW Shankar was right. they are composers from different eras, so dont compare them. In viveks' term, IR is the MD of 20th century and ARR is MD of 21st century.

Senior Member Regular Hubber Vkrish's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    During TIS release, in one of the function IR & ARR have discussed for more than an hour....What wud be those discussions...any guess!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Vikatan says that IR listened to ARR's symphony work, but you never know. Someone close to IR/ARR can ask.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Friends
    I totally agree that the 3 i have mentioned are great in their time.

During MSV era there weren't so many technologies like today,
    and When IR Started little better technologies were there than MSV but very inferior compare to what ARR used today.

there aren't any great MD's in india than arr when comes to using mordern technology and also to good effect , he made a revolution to tamil film industry in making tamil song played in overseas soils.I was in Kashmir when Roja film was released and that song was being heard by those people at that time in tamil.I felt really proud that day for he made others listen tamil songs.

Even with all technologies available to all musicians in India there aren't anybody who came even to 50% to ARR, which shows arr's talent in utilizing technlogy combining his creativity and imagination to make so many songs pleasant to so many ears.

If we want to talk about IR, then the first thing that comes to mind is non-tech musicals, for he prefers to have the natural instruments used rather than tech.In an interview in SUN TV when he was asked why he dont use tech, he said that original instruments are like Home made food but , tech are like hotel foods, (but i dont know how much ARR will agree on this).IR has composed more songs than the 3 in discussion and still producing timely master pieces which suggest he is not totally lost (ie his creativity)

MSV is from Different Era so we just leave him in this discussion, and we just concentrate more on IR and ARR.

The only disspointing aspect of IR (according to me) is that he used Tabla rhythm for so many songs, it would have been great if he had used some variations.IR has given so many songs with distinct rhythms for example
    1. Aasaia kathula thoothivittu from johhnny
    2. aasai athikam vachhu from marupadiym
    3. nila athu vanathu mela from nayagan
    4. masimasam alana ponnu from tharmadurai
    5. netru oruthara oruthra parthom
    6. Kattu kuyilu manasukkula from thalapathy
    and many songs ( it would be nice if somebody can list more) and after having done so many songs, which when played the rhythms itself people will find out the song, i dont know why IR used so many song with tabla.One example is, poongatru puthiranathu from moondram piray, where the song start with such a distinct rhythm so nice, and suddenly in the stanzas rhythm changes to table which in some way spoils the feel of the song(this is my opinion only) and there are many such songs where you have the starting of the song goes great but stanza you have the same tabla based rhythm which is very common for most of the songs he has composed.arr is much different in this sense for he has given lot of thoughts to every song in giving a different rhythm pattern to each of his song.One of the example is Porkalam enge from tennali which is , if you play in keyboard the melody look like a church hymn but when you listen to that song in reality was so soothing and it is due to such a wonderful creative rhythm by Arr.

so i agree it is very difficult to compare these 2 great mds but i wish we will make an effort to find who is the best in digging deep more categories and analyse each of them in deep to get a good idea of these 2 musical giants of india.

with regards
    vimal

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    >>In an interview in SUN TV when he was asked why he dont use tech, he said that original instruments are like Home made food but , tech are like hotel foods<<

I don't agree with Raja on this...he says all this and comes out with songs full of synth...Tell me can't he use natural instruments for all songs from a fazil movie...IlankAthu veesudhe, Ayiram kodi sooriyan (karisakkAttu poove), roja poonthOttam, and ennai thAlAtta varuvALo wud've been some of his greatest compositions if he had used natural instruments...He didn't...why then does he talk about hotel food and all that nonsense.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    can anyone here explain as to what is natural and artificial ?
    200 years ago, when there was no mike, no recording equipment, what was perceived as natural is different from the perception of today ?

even Tablas, drums and other percussion instruments use different kinds of animal skin for different quality of sound output - is that natural ?

the only natural music is music sans any instruments and the greatest instrument ever devised by nature in the VOICE!

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast