Page 44 of 56 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your latest read?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber 19thmay's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by littlemaster1982
    IMO, this is his worst novel out of his four. It was good till the "God" part. I felt the final chapter totally ruined the story. He is cliched, but I like his one liners.
    2 States innum padikkala. But I have to agree that ON@CC is the worst among the three. Having said that I am ok with this novel till last few chapters.

Btw I asked this question somewhere in this forum

3 idiots is a copy of five point someone? Naan innum 3 idiots paakala.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Moderator Diamond Hubber littlemaster1982's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 19thmay
    3 idiots is a copy of five point someone? Naan innum 3 idiots paakala.
    It's not a copy. The makers of the film bought the rights and modified the story a lot.Ryan was made as main character and other two were reduced to sidekicks. I felt the book was much better than the film.

And, 2 states is ok, if you manage to ignore CB's jabs at Tamilians in the name of humor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by littlemaster1982
    And, 2 states is ok, if you manage to ignore CB's jabs at Tamilians in the name of humor.
    Finished! I liked it. From the perspective of a NI this is jagajam IMO. Though some items are very much exaggerated I enjoyed his writing style and quick wits!

Though the narrator name was Krish it was actually Hari of 5 Point someone. Hari was sarcastic and biased, actually the same tempo was maintained here.

All his novel has same pattern. Friendship, love and love making, sarcasm, bollywood climax etc.. all female characters are bold, modern and narattors are mostly self-centered and smart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Parrot and Olivier in America - Peter Carrey

Apparently inspired by the life of Alexis de Tocqueville.

Olivier de Garmont is a scion of one of the nobles of France who has fallen out of favour with the new regieme in France that came back after the revolution. Olivier is sent - for his safety and well being - to the new land America, under the pretext of studying the penitentiaries and the 'new system' of democracy coming up there.

The young Olivier is accompanied by an English servant John Larrit (who goes by the nickname Parrot). Parrot, aspired to be a great engraving artist and life has slipped through his fingers and even in his fifties he finds himself still a 'mere' servant.

Their strange and tumultous relationship between the aristocract and his servant, keeps morphing as the travel to new land, negotiate the new culture ad their uncertain futures.

Each chapter alternates the first person narrative - from Olivier to Parrot and back. Exceedingly well written and made enjoyable with the subdued humour that is there throughout the book.
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Post Thanks / Like
    Tushar Raheja's Anything for you maa'm another IIT'an love story, its good but lost its pace as it reaches the climax or badly written. Writer is a big fan of R.K.Narayan which is visible in this novel. Worth reading.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Querida's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have been making my way through Margaret Atwood's books
    I remember distinctly being disturbed with my first foray into her books
    the first being the title "Edible Woman" being enough to weird me out
    the second being "Handmaid's Tale" which was a compulsory read for grade 12 English
    I was scandalized and obviously not mature enough to appreciate her literature then
    and though HT is still not my fave of her works ("Surfacing" is)
    she is indeed deserving of all the praise heaped on her and
    the profuse gushing she creates in English Lit. Circles

Most of her books have mysterious/suspenseful plots and even sci-fi
    which again surprises me because mysteries/sci-fi are usually what I steer clear of
    but the sheer poetical lines and original perspective are what keep my captivated

IMHO
    "Surfacing"> "Alias Grace" > "Robber Bride"

as of right now delving through "The Blind Assassin" and even thinking of giving HT a re-read..
    Last edited by Querida; 15th March 2011 at 03:50 AM.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Querida's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    "The Blind Assassin" was a very engrossing and engaging read...there are many instances in which Atwood's descriptions on even everyday events are worthy of repetitive musing...

small humble examples: "The trace of brown cloud in the brilliant sky, like ice cream smudged on chrome."

"'I look back over what I've written and I know it's wrong, not because of what I've set down, but because of what I've omitted … You want the truth, of course. You want me to put two and two together. But two and two doesn't necessarily get you the truth. Two and two equals a voice outside the window. Two and two equals the wind. The living bird is not its labelled bones' "

it is indeed in way challenging to keep in mind the metafictional threads that take place: Iris's memoir, Laura's novel, Alex's sci-fi storytelling, news articles, puzzling at times not knowing why some detail has been emphasized, but with close attention most is revealed...

Quoted Summary: "Iris tells the story of her youth from the vantage point of old age. Most of her life has been governed by a single event - the death of her sister, which happened whilst they were still young women: 'Ten days after the war ended, my sister Laura drove a car off a bridge.' Two years later, Iris published her sister's novel, The Blind Assassin."
    Last edited by Querida; 15th March 2011 at 03:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sidin Vadukut's "DORK" - very boring! Apparently Landmark kept this book in the fast selling books shelf and so I bought this, a great mistake indeed.

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am finally reading The Lost Symbol - yet another cannot putitdown novel!
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Post Thanks / Like
    Khaled Hosseini's, "The Kite Runner". Incredible, a classic and must read. :noteworthy:

The story touches friendship, backstabbing, social inequality, Shorawi, Russians, Talibans, US, Pakistan etc... As I finished reading this novel I came to know that Osama was killed, jinx? Khaled was so casual and superb narration. Undoubtedly for the past few days, he took me to Afghanistan, Pakistan and US.

Between how was the movie? Has anyone saw that?

Page 44 of 56 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast