Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Life in 1960s and 1970s

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Life in 1960s and 1970s

Hope some elderly forumhubbers will talk about their growing up days in the 60s and 70s

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber nirosha sen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Elderly??????
    Demand a broader view - BBC

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I too would like to hear. I remember a bit from 40s and 50's but very little from 60s and 70s. By that time, I was bitten by the mathematics bug and mainly remember mathematics books I stidied or the mathematicians I met and the papers I wrote. I vaguely remember a speech by Annadurai (62-64, Madras), D.P.Roychowdary's sculpture near the Marina beach, Kennedy's death, agitations against the imposition of Hindi mainly from Tamilnadu etc but the rest until 90's is hazy. The 40s and 50s are more vivid; Independence and the various processions and songs, seeing Nehru and JP in Andgra. people riding on train tops to attend a speech by Nehru in Guntur, start of the friction between USA and India, John Foster Dulles ("If you are not with us, you are against us"), five year plans, Bhakra Nangal, Gandhi's death, visiting Madras around 1950 and watching wrestling matches (Dara singh, King Kong,..), book shops in Mount Road, Australian cricket team with Benaud, Harvey .. playing in Madras, etc. I hope some younger people will write about 60s and 70s.
    Swarup

Senior Member Senior Hubber lordstanher's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! Astonished to find this thread as I'm always int'd to know abt the 1960s & '70s myself!
    I'm very much into the '60s & '70s for sum reason & sumtimes even wish I was living in those times!
    Infact I (seriously!) sport a '70s hairstyle (w/ side-burns etc. ), often wear '70s style clothes (long collared shirts, bell-cut pants etc.!) and even like '60s cars like Standard Herald (responsible for my 'Stan her' ID ) & bikes.....
    I also watch mainly '70s bollywood movies & now trying to collect 'antiques' dating from the '60s & '70s......much to my mother's discomfort! Planning to buy a 1971 HMV record player from sumone here!
    So I'd be very keen to learn more abt these 2 decades from sum so-called elderly hubbers!
    Do feel free to share ur memories/experiences......and yes, also let me know if u've ne items (viz. radios) from tat era to sell.......
    -I've changed my ID now!!-

Senior Member Diamond Hubber Nerd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    No *elderly* hubbers around huh...

common NOV, Badri, Thiru..

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gaddeswarup
    I hope some younger people will write about 60s and 70s.Swarup
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Post Thanks / Like
    My perspective will be purely Malaysian, and I doubt it will hold your interest....
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn't matter. NOV. We ..younger malaysians, would love to hear it from ---er malaysians... ..for eg, did you go for the bell-bottom, hippie hairstyles, etc???

I remember when I was small, mom tailor-made bell-bottoms and 'kaakka-kai' blouses for me..... that was in 70's....and i've seen photos of my cousins in weird hairstyles and moustaches.... of course, they don't show me those phtoos anymore and I bet their wives have not seen them too!!

Now..how did Bad thambi fit into this 60's and 70's ..??

Post Thanks / Like
    yes, bell bottoms were the order of the day.
    I used to go for my classes in Form Six in purple, red, pink long pants!
    Dont forget that flowered shirts were hip too!

while long hair was the the in thing, parents refused to cooperate so we had to make do with long sideburns and afro styled hair do's.
    The Alleycats still havent outgrown them...

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like people are a bit shy to talk about those days for fear of being understood as too old.

I used to enjoy thumbing through my parents' photo albums, lot and lot of black and white photos..my father's college time pics travelling on NCC tours, some quaint old trains, lot of pictures of my mother and her friends....the natural surroundings, roads, everything looked very "uncrowded' with nobody around in sight.

Some major features of those pics:
    1. Almost every male had a moustache

2. The only type of specs was the black rimmed thick specs - Ladies always had Oval specs

3. Ladies were mostly in sleeveless blouses. There is an English friend of my mum standing in front of her London home in a sleeveless blouse and saree!

4. Nobody ever smiled in any photograph whether it is posing or getting a prize

5. The sad part is that even as late as late 70s and early 80s, they used to leave long hair on little boys and comb them into 2 plaits. I was a victim of that though I would be merrily grinning in the photo

6. There used to be an aluminium box which was the most common school bag used by guys.

7. The best things are the letters and greeting cards to your parents from their friends - They would be well scripted with beautiful running handwriting, mostly English and some few paragraphs of Tamil...I still mention them to my parents' friends and they would immediately take a fond trip of nostalgia.....

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast