Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-Vegetarianism in Buddhism

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Non-Vegetarianism in Buddhism

It definitely is against the 5 basic percepts of Buddhism. I am not here to argue that Non-vegetarianism in Buddhism is something wrong. I do realise that all goody stuffs written in most of the religious texts are practically not followed in day to day life. My point is why such an attempt is not even made in ancient Buddhist teachings (in fact by Buddha himself who is not a Vegetarian) to advocate vegetarianism when one of their percept says "not to take the life of anything living" ?

For the benefit of those who dosen't know what 5 percepts are it is the moral code within Buddhism. Follow the link if you need more details.

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/basic-guide.htm

PS:
    Just curious about why the religion that says in principle not to take life of any living thing dosen't advocate vegetarianism in its teachings

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear mr.Krishnan,

Religious practice is best left to the individual depending on his environment, tastes and preferences. There may be numerous reasons for this(food chain, ecology cycle...are just 2 of 1000).

Not necessary that all proponents of a creed need to think alike.

Am vegetarian myself.
    walrus

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber geno's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hehehewalrus
    Dear mr.Krishnan,

Religious practice is best left to the individual depending on his environment, tastes and preferences. There may be numerous reasons for this(food chain, ecology cycle...are just 2 of 1000).
    well said walrus!

Then some may start asking why do "Advaitins" dont normally eat non-vegetarian?? ( some eat all kinds of food nowadays! ).....

......since "Advaitham' says that all are but the same "brahmam" then the "keeraik kattu" and "chicken" are nothing but the images of the same "brahmam" no?

I had this incident narrated by a friend who had been to mumbai..There he had gone for lunch with some of his friends to a restaurant......

.....And amongst the group was a mumbai-born and brought up "orthodox" guy - and during the course of the sumptuous lunch - that guy seems to have observed -

- "chicken nannA irukku"!!! - to which all the others - mostly from chennai - guys - had burst out laughing which shook the restaurant it seems!

P.S : I'm "normally" a vegetarian too! - ( am not "orthodox" though!!! )
    M.K. Narayanan, Sivasankara Menon, A.K.Antony, Satish Nambiar, Vijay Nambiar, Nirupama Menon Rao....

இந்திய தேசியம், இந்திய நீதி, இந்திய தருமம்:
    இலட்சம் தமிழன் செத்தாலும் பரவாயில்லை. ஒரே ஒரு <டிங்க்> மனசும் கூடப் புண்பட்டுவிடக்கூடாது!

டகால்ட்டி திராவிடன் கருணாநிதியின் கையால் சாவதைக் காட்டிலும் ஒரிஜினல் <டிங்> ஜெ.வின் கையால் அழிவது மேல்!

"The Recrudescence of Thamizh ethnicism is deadlier than Ebola Virus - declares Dr. Varna Ratna, announcing the path-breaking discovery.."

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    am not orthodox either
    so that shows i am an unorthodox in terms of non-vegetarian lifestyle..hope i am not attacked for following my creed

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    even i hate killig animals and birds for food.
    but without eating chicken i cant live
    indha brahmin pasanga thirunda ve mattanga
    buddha va yenda vambuku ilukurenga

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

True?

What is the proof that Buddha was not a Vegetarian himself? Buddhism follows the middlepath of life, where one eats just to live.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber r_kk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear all participants
    Food is just for the sake of living. Nature doesn't made us to eat only vegetables. At the same time, we have the mind which understand the feeling of pain of other animal. In nature Jackel has to kill bird, bird has to kill insects, insects has to kill plants.. So this natural chain has to continue. Vegeterian concept is based on the wrong concept in which plants do not have life. I had seen many vegeterian those who don't want to kill even insects but take medicines and killing worms/viruses in the body. Who said those doesn't have life? So nothing wrong if one has to eat animal just because of stomach not because of taste. In such cases it is beeter to choose animal which has very less sence of understanding and do very less pain when you decide to eat for stomach.

Senior Member Senior Hubber nirosha sen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Animals have less pain than us????? That's probably gauged by a very presumptuous barometer, my friend!!! 8)

Senior Member Devoted Hubber r_kk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    not just body pain... understanding of death... fear about death...

Senior Member Senior Hubber nirosha sen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pheromones is the understanding of death!!! That's why animals smell bad when they're terrorised to death! Why do think we use so much condiments and spices like turmeric for?????

It is to wipe out the smell of death, before we cook and eat their meat!!!!!

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast