Page 64 of 216 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114164 ... LastLast

Thread: Latest News on Tamil Cinema

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    MSV - Dadasaheb Phalke award kuduthA vaangikkalAm. I know even that is tainted with "kavi pradeep"(for one desa bhakti geetham) ellAm koduthurukkAnga. But I think atleast that will have some meaning as he would be probably the first from South Indian Film Music to get it(Correct?).
    Vibhooshans and Vibeeshans are abundant in this country - it wont be enough for MSV. And a Bharat Ratna might be a bridge too far. So, yes, I'd settle for a DSP

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Plum,
    Well, I mean the government-appointed committee that gets to decide all this.

But anyway, to respond to the issue that you're trying to highlight, while I agree that there's obviously a big gap to bridge between the regional icons and these national-level awards, I think the issue is more nuanced and there are other factors too. Let me put it this way. Kamal won the Padma Shri in 1990! What do we have to say about that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Equa, I guess it works like the State governement and a few other institutions get to recommend a set of people, and then the committee prunes the list, right?
    If so, this committee as with all awards changes hands every year, right?
    If so, this becomes a random lottery exercise, right?
    "Yeh Visvanath biswanath kaun hai bhai, apne Pritam se bada composer hai kya"-nu thookki pOda vaippu irukku illaiyA/

Ofcourse these are nuanced, and in the end, when deserving people get the award, it is for mostly the wrong reasons or as a gesture. I shouldnt be ranting, therefore but I am ranting against the pointlessness of the exercise than the exercise itself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Plum,
    Of course, I completely agree. All I'm saying is perhaps the regional bodies themselves aren't pushing it hard when it comes to people like Raaja and MSV when most actor superstars have won one of these awards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, and that is precisely the reason I hope they dont give MSV a consolation prize now. I mean, you could say Vibooshan against Shri but I dont see the difference between the two big enough to account for the time delay in giving MSV.

A DSP on the other hand would be quite a reasonably rare one since it is doled out only one a year. Even though there are a few there who dont deserve to be in MSV's company, there are enough others whose company adds lustre to MSV himself(to begin with, Mr Ganesan!).

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, that's true. This is primarily because Dadasaheb Phalke award is specifically for (Indian) cinema. The committee members would be much more informed of the magnitude of achievements of various artists.

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    are these awards given posthumously?
    I would like to propose one for Kavignar.
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by equanimus
    Yeah, that's true. This is primarily because Dadasaheb Phalke award is specifically for (Indian) cinema. The committee members would be much more informed of the magnitude of achievements of various artists.
    yeah, thats my thought, too, In other words, much less random, and therefore, much more meaningful. Again, there are exceptions like Kavi Pradeep but as a rule, we can say that there is some thought behind the process of selection.

NOV, yes, Kannadasan crossed my mind today while discussing this awards issue but I guess that will open its own complications with so many deceased greats across various indian film industries

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NOV
    are these awards given posthumously?
    MGR got Bharat Ratna posthumously.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now there's a controversy with US based hotelier Chatwal getting the Bhooshan this year as well.

Apparently, he is involved in Bank Fraud in US(allegedly). indha awad namakku thEvai dhAna adhuvum indha varusham? Rejeet, I say.