Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: déjà vu

Senior Member Veteran Hubber bingleguy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

déjà vu

The term déjà vu is French and means, literally, "already seen." Those who have experienced the feeling describe it as an overwhelming sense of familiarity with something that shouldn't be familiar at all. Say, for example, you are traveling to England for the first time. You are touring a cathedral, and suddenly it seems as if you have been in that very spot before. Or maybe you are having dinner with a group of friends, discussing some current political topic, and you have the feeling that you've already experienced this very thing -- same friends, same dinner, same topic.

The phenomenon is rather complex, and there are many different theories as to why déjà vu happens. Swiss scholar Arthur Funkhouser suggests that there are several "déjà experiences" and asserts that in order to better study the phenomenon, the nuances between the experiences need to be noted. In the examples mentioned above, Funkhouser would describe the first incidence as déjà visité ("already visited") and the second as déjà vecu ("already experienced or lived through").

As much as 70 percent of the population reports having experienced some form of déjà vu. A higher number of incidents occurs in people 15 to 25 years old than in any other age group.

Déjà vu has been firmly associated with temporal-lobe epilepsy. Reportedly, déjà vu can occur just prior to a temporal-lobe epileptic attack. People suffering an epileptic seizure of this kind can experience déjà vu during the actual seizure activity or in the moments between convulsions.

Since déjà vu occurs in individuals with and without a medical condition, there is much speculation as to how and why this phenomenon happens. Several psychoanalysts attribute déjà vu to simple fantasy or wish fulfillment, while some psychiatrists ascribe it to a mismatching in the brain that causes the brain to mistake the present for the past. Many parapsychologists believe it is related to a past-life experience. Obviously, there is more investigation to be done.

Related terms

* Paramnesia - a disorder of memory: a) condition in which the proper meaning of words cannot be remembered; b) the illusion of remembering scenes and events when experienced for the first time -- called also déjà vu
    * Jamais vu - a disorder of memory characterized by the illusion that the familiar is being encountered for the first time

Source: Merriam Webster Medical Dictionary

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Regular Hubber ramyap's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good nice topic and nice work

Senior Member Diamond Hubber selvakumar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is this a story?
    Ponnu Vellai tholah? illai Karuppu tholah?
    RE: Aennn.. Puli tholu..

Use short words, short sentences and short paragraphs. Never use jargon words like reconceptualize, demassification, attitudinally, judgmentally. They are hallmarks of a pretentious ass. - David Ogilvy

Post Thanks / Like

Not yet ....

Hey dude

The story is yet to start ... This is just a prologue, where i ve just explained what am i gonna talk abt .......... So just keep ur fingers crossed !

An Avid Naga Fan,
    Vasanth

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Not yet ....

Quote Originally Posted by bingleguy
    Hey dude

The story is yet to start ... This is just a prologue, where i ve just explained what am i gonna talk abt .......... So just keep ur fingers crossed !

An Avid Naga Fan,
    Vasanth
    wow.. Buildup before starting up.. mm.. cool indeed.

Nagarjuna fan.. ah.. aahaa.. vaanga.. we are already having JUNIOR NTR fans here.

Use short words, short sentences and short paragraphs. Never use jargon words like reconceptualize, demassification, attitudinally, judgmentally. They are hallmarks of a pretentious ass. - David Ogilvy

Post Thanks / Like

Nope

Thanks for ur compliments !

Sorry dude .....
    Tats not Nagarjunaaaa Thats a Tamil serial Director Naga ! The director of familiar titles on small screen like Marmadesam, Nambinaal nambungal, Rudra Veena,n currently Chidambara Ragasiyam !

I like his works ! n am a great admirer of his works

An Avid Naga Fan
    Vasanth

Senior Member Diamond Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    how long shall i keep my fingers crossed?

Post Thanks / Like

Crazy

Hey Crazy dude

Thats a million dollar question ..... U get to know soon ...... U may not be updated like a mega serial ... but definitely, a good entertainment ... i guess

will start off soon !

Rgds
    Vasanth

Post Thanks / Like
    Bingleguy,

Naga - serial director oh my GOD.. No one else in this world will guess this one correctly.

Your introduction itself shows us a glimpse of your Mega Serial addiction..

please come up with a story

Post Thanks / Like

ret uuuu

Hello Ret uuuuuuu

Thanks for u r judgement ! Probably u need to take care of ur head, banging doesnt give results, but pain

glimpses are never real, dear ! Better try to focus on Reality

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast