Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Drop sachin from Test Match

Senior Member Senior Hubber Thiru's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Demi-god’ Sachin gets boos from fans
    Sunday, 19 March , 2006, 19:14
    Mumbai: The unthinkable happened on Sunday: Sachin Tendulkar was booed by cricket fans on his home ground, during a Test match that is a landmark in his illustrious career.

Anguish writ large on his face, his eyes downcast, the batting legend walked back to the Indian dressing room at the Wankhede Stadium after yet another failure out in the middle.

He had flirted with disaster by nicking James Anderson to the wicketkeeper after making one run when India needed all his batting skills to fight out England in the third and final Test.

Loud boos resounded in the packed stadium from the fans who for years have treated him like a demi-god. "Tendulkar is like a god in India," Australian opener Matthew Hayden had written five years ago.

In this Test match, his 132nd, Tendulkar became the most capped Indian player in history. It was a special occasion but he had nothing special to offer.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting article about Sachin:
    http://www.samachar.com/showurl.htm?...let~him~choose

Senior Member Regular Hubber umaramesh's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    BYE SACHIN. Have a nice holiday. Better concentrate on hotel business.

ramesh

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanjay Manjrekar recently commented about Sachin's injuries & this has created lot of furore amongst cricketing circles.

Lets see what Jha has to say :

Just a few days ago I bumped against the affable, ever-smiling and ubiquitous Sanjay Manjrekar, who looked as if he could have been auditioning for a role in a TV serial. Looking like a cool dude in faded jeans and uncharacteristically long curls, the former cricketer was bursting with his trademark kinetic enthusiasm. As I read his column on Sachin Tendulkar the very next day, I had a sense of déjà vu. Here goes another eulogistic piece on the ageing maestro welcoming him back with the usual exaggerated lionizing that only we desperate Indians constantly on the look-out for superheroes can do with such remarkable finesse. I was therefore surprised to read a refreshingly candid piece , written with an insight that cannot be easily attributed to many former cricketers, who usually get their pieces written by fictitious ghost-writers possessing none of the enterprise of a certain Captain Jack Sparrow.

Not surprisingly, the week-end reading this rainy Sunday in Mumbai was so vastly entertaining, I have got to personally message Manjrekar with tons of gratitude. I read the reactions of several cricketers in the print media , and conscientiously followed some other experts on TV programs; and they all uttered the standard gibberish and diplomatic claptrap; " Sachin is Sachin. And Manjrekar should have known better than to make wild personal allegations against India's prized national treasure. What utter nonsense " etc etc. . Frankly, it was all humbug and hullabaloo for nothing.

Here are my succinct observations on another needless Sachin controversy:

1) I think 90% of those grim faced veterans had not even read the article.

2) Many of them responded to questions posed to them as if India was about to stage a nuclear war against China and Pakistan combined ? They predictably buckled and played safe.

3) In fact, Sanjay Manjrekar was actually giving Sachin Tendulkar a fabulously embarrassing compliment; he was stating that even a half-fit Sachin can create magical history on the cricket ground. Now if you are a Sachin fan, why would that offend you, pal?

4) Manjrekar stated that with diminishing physical prowess it is inevitable that a player's reflexes slow down , so Sachin should stop putting an uncalled for pressure on himself on top of the already humongous public expectations ! Now tell me , how is that a prejudiced and malevolent perception? If at all, as a former colleague he was giving Tendya some honest heart-to- heart stuff; something that probably NO ONE does, as most Indians treat Sachin as infallible, god-like and sacrosanct. To rubbish the honourable PM Manmohan Singh on public disinvestment policy is an acceptable form of national behaviour; to tell Sachin to take risks in the December of his career is like committing a religious sacrilege. What shit ( I have been following George Bush, as you might have guessed) !

) Manjrekar has appropriately given the towering example of none other than Brian Lara who has had to reinvent himself and adapt his stroke play at 36, but who still remains an ominous threat and a dangerous opponent. Now why should that offend our self-inflated pundits and fraudulent gurus ?

6) And it is downright juvenile to insinuate that Sanjay has alleged that Sachin has been fudging injuries. What unadulterated crap is that? On the contrary , Manjrekar states that Sachin has been over-reacting to his injuries as he is obsessed with attaining 100% fitness levels which at this crucial stage of his career and after 17 years of wear, bear and tear may be a trifle naïve to expect. In short, Manjrekar states that Sachin should learn to live and play with niggles and minor nuts and bolts repairs. Anything wrong with that view?

7) I think the most stupid part of this silly episode was the bizarre reaction of Sachin himself, as he sounded sulky, petulant and peeved. But whatever for? I think Sachin has got over-sensitive and gets easily provoked these days. A player of his international caliber should both welcome and be able to handle a blatantly biased criticism as well as constructive feedback. I think Sanjay's comments have been incorrectly interpreted and completely misunderstood; either it reflects that Sachin has developed a deep disdain for outside opinions or he is somewhat ill-equipped to distinguish the wheat from the chaff.

Bottom-line, I think we Indians should stop being obsequious about Sachin Tendulkar. If anyone says anything remotely critical of the Little Master he is treated like a turd or a vicious creature with anti-national intent. I am surprised no one has accused Sanjay Manjrekar of the Mumbai blasts or filed a PIL against him. It is time we Indians grew up! And so did Sachin Tendulkar!

I THINK, ANY NEWS ABOUT SACHIN , EVEN TODAY CREATES SENSATION !

Post Thanks / Like
    Sanjay Manjrekar recently commented about Sachin's injuries & this has created lot of furore amongst cricketing circles.

Just a few days ago I bumped against the affable, ever-smiling and ubiquitous Sanjay Manjrekar, who looked as if he could have been auditioning for a role in a TV serial. Looking like a cool dude in faded jeans and uncharacteristically long curls, the former cricketer was bursting with his trademark kinetic enthusiasm. As I read his column on Sachin Tendulkar the very next day, I had a sense of déjà vu. Here goes another eulogistic piece on the ageing maestro welcoming him back with the usual exaggerated lionizing that only we desperate Indians constantly on the look-out for superheroes can do with such remarkable finesse. I was therefore surprised to read a refreshingly candid piece , written with an insight that cannot be easily attributed to many former cricketers, who usually get their pieces written by fictitious ghost-writers possessing none of the enterprise of a certain Captain Jack Sparrow.

Not surprisingly, the week-end reading this rainy Sunday in Mumbai was so vastly entertaining, I have got to personally message Manjrekar with tons of gratitude. I read the reactions of several cricketers in the print media , and conscientiously followed some other experts on TV programs; and they all uttered the standard gibberish and diplomatic claptrap; " Sachin is Sachin. And Manjrekar should have known better than to make wild personal allegations against India's prized national treasure. What utter nonsense " etc etc. . Frankly, it was all humbug and hullabaloo for nothing.

2) Many of them responded to questions posed to them as if India was about to stage a nuclear war against China and Pakistan combined ? They predictably buckled and played safe.

3) In fact, Sanjay Manjrekar was actually giving Sachin Tendulkar a fabulously embarrassing compliment; he was stating that even a half-fit Sachin can create magical history on the cricket ground. Now if you are a Sachin fan, why would that offend you, pal?

4) Manjrekar stated that with diminishing physical prowess it is inevitable that a player's reflexes slow down , so Sachin should stop putting an uncalled for pressure on himself on top of the already humongous public expectations ! Now tell me , how is that a prejudiced and malevolent perception? If at all, as a former colleague he was giving Tendya some honest heart-to- heart stuff; something that probably NO ONE does, as most Indians treat Sachin as infallible, god-like and sacrosanct. To rubbish the honourable PM Manmohan Singh on public disinvestment policy is an acceptable form of national behaviour; to tell Sachin to take risks in the December of his career is like committing a religious sacrilege. What shit ( I have been following George Bush, as you might have guessed) !

) Manjrekar has appropriately given the towering example of none other than Brian Lara who has had to reinvent himself and adapt his stroke play at 36, but who still remains an ominous threat and a dangerous opponent. Now why should that offend our self-inflated pundits and fraudulent gurus ?

6) And it is downright juvenile to insinuate that Sanjay has alleged that Sachin has been fudging injuries. What unadulterated crap is that? On the contrary , Manjrekar states that Sachin has been over-reacting to his injuries as he is obsessed with attaining 100% fitness levels which at this crucial stage of his career and after 17 years of wear, bear and tear may be a trifle naïve to expect. In short, Manjrekar states that Sachin should learn to live and play with niggles and minor nuts and bolts repairs. Anything wrong with that view?

7) I think the most stupid part of this silly episode was the bizarre reaction of Sachin himself, as he sounded sulky, petulant and peeved. But whatever for? I think Sachin has got over-sensitive and gets easily provoked these days. A player of his international caliber should both welcome and be able to handle a blatantly biased criticism as well as constructive feedback. I think Sanjay's comments have been incorrectly interpreted and completely misunderstood; either it reflects that Sachin has developed a deep disdain for outside opinions or he is somewhat ill-equipped to distinguish the wheat from the chaff.

Bottom-line, I think we Indians should stop being obsequious about Sachin Tendulkar. If anyone says anything remotely critical of the Little Master he is treated like a turd or a vicious creature with anti-national intent. I am surprised no one has accused Sanjay Manjrekar of the Mumbai blasts or filed a PIL against him. It is time we Indians grew up! And so did Sachin Tendulkar!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    lets see what sachin has got now in his bag for everyone after 15 years of cricket...

Post Thanks / Like
    i want scahin to continue his test matches where one could gain his form!..

one day is pressure...test matches can improve the form of a batsmen..

truly..i want him to play tests to break the most important record

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nilavupriyan

True Nilavu

He has some more left out in tests for sure. One day, not sure as there are too many strikers now - Viru, Dhoni, Pathan, Yuvi etc & Sachin can play a better role in tests but every match of his may delay the prospects of some up coming youngster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nilavupriyan

True Nilavu

He has some more left out in tests for sure. One day, not sure as there are too many strikers now - Viru, Dhoni, Pathan, Yuvi etc & Sachin can play a better role in tests but every match of his may delay the prospects of some up coming youngster.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast