Thread: making dosa

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

making dosa

hi i have braun company's chopper
    it works ok for onions tomatoes etc so i tried to grind rice for dosa. the dal ground OK but not rice. i cant afford to buy a grinder so is there any way to make dosa using any other method.
    thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi adec,

If you could grind the dal until smooth & fluffy, you can mix rice flour to it & let ferment as usual & make dosas... You can also make dosa by mixing rice flour & urad dhal flour(available in the mkt) But U'll find some difference in the texture of the dosa...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dev
    Could you give me some idea for say 1 cup dal usually we would take 2 cups rice in this case how much rice flour to use
    and does it give same results ?
    will this also get fermented ?
    sorry if the questions seems very silly but i am not from south so have no idea or clue actually
    thansk a lot

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi adec
    try 2 cups of rice flour
    1/4 cup of channa dal and 1/4 cup urad dal -ground till soft and fluffy

mix them together with enough water to make a dosa batter along with needed salt and leave overnight.
    the next day add 3 pinches of cooking soda and make dosas in a non stick tava.

this works for me...hope it does for u too!!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adec
    Thanks Dev
    Could you give me some idea for say 1 cup dal usually we would take 2 cups rice in this case how much rice flour to use
    and does it give same results ?
    will this also get fermented ?
    sorry if the questions seems very silly but i am not from south so have no idea or clue actually
    thansk a lot
    Hi adec, I used to weigh the flours...200 gms roasted & ground rice flour & 70gms of urad flour... I sometimes reduce the quantity of the flour to 150 gms & add 50 gm of rice rawa... If U mix the batter well(use ur hands) with salt, it does ferment... but I live in Singapore where the weather is hot all round the yr... I'm not sure if it'll ferment in cold places...

You can try adding a bit of baking powder(or fruit salt) if it doesn't seem to ferment... or guess adding a bit of curd will help too... I have never tried these,anyway... I was trying out this kind of dosa for sometime last yr... but didn't quiet like it coz of the diff in texture...Now that I've an Indian grocer nearby, I buy ground batter from them...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks a lot Dev and ayeshasadique
    i will try this weekend if i get to a store to buy the rice flour
    Ciao

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is what i do

for 1 cup of urd dhal (before grinding) , i use 3 cups of the rice flour available in the Indian stores here, Soak urd dhal for 4 hrs and grind it nicely till its fluffy.mix this with the rice flour with enough water, salt and 1 pinch of cooking soda, keep overnight to ferment.For me idli and dosa comes well with this batter.
    (Winter i keep in preheated oven to ferment)

Try and let me know.

Sri