Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi, I'm new here. Indians are zany.

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I'm new here. Indians are zany.

Hi:

Why Chaipau? Well, I initially tried to register with my usual forum name, rh001, but someone already had it, so I went with the name of my favorite Indian, little Chaipau from Salaam Bombay!

I have been studying Indian culture lately and found this message board, and let me say that it is both educational and practical to read the dialougues of actual Indians discussing their culture.

In the future I will post questions regarding Indian culture and hope to receive expert answers - that is, the answers of actual Indians.

I notice that many who post at the Hub have a good command of English. Is this a place where mostly well educated people hang out?

Any book titled "Indian Culture" will likely be a bit of a whitewash, me thinks. I like a more hands on, back door approach.

I like to use Google and search for images of India and Indian people. There are so many pics available, it's almost as if I can travel to India through my computer monitor.

What colorful clothes! What an array of styles! Yet generally conservative hair styles. I sense that Indians don't like a hair out of place.

(I just finished a dinner of Bengali lentils and palak paneer.)

Am I correct in thinking that Indian children have the most beautiful smiles in the world? (What happens to the adults?)

But here is my first revelation:

I used to think either Americans or Italians were the zaniest people on the Planet, but now I think it's the Indians! Of course I mean this in an affectionate and complimentary way.

The Italians and Americans may be more outwardly hedonistic than the Indians, and that may make them seem more zany. But then I learn that India has tons of prostitutes and a very high rate of HIV, so that just makes me think the apparent outward reserve of Indians may not be the real Indian.

I recently watched Lagaan. What a great movie that was! Bollywood movies are not that easy to find in video rental stores-- even here in Hollywood! It felt to me like an American movie, an American theme. Well, we too had to kick the behinds of the British. I've been recommending this movie to everyone I know, but many people just can't handle foreign films due to having to read the subtitles, and also India just isn't fashionable at the moment in the USA.

But as for myself, I find I am falling in love with India. What is happening to me?

Cheers
    language is limited

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber bingleguy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used to think either Americans or Italians were the zaniest people on the Planet, but now I think it's the Indians! Of course I mean this in an affectionate and complimentary way.
    U call Indians Zany .... n that too in an affectionate way ....

It looks as if u excoriate the ladder after u ve just used that for climbing !
    Click here to reach the Index page of http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...A-LEARNED-YES)... All Sagas could be accessed from this page...

Post Thanks / Like
    Bingle:

Perhaps you are not working with the best definition of the word "zany" .

For instance, the frequent song and dance routines in Bollywood films make the films "zany".

In Lagaan, the vilagers were "crazy" to wager their land in a game of cricket, which they had never played before. But their endeavor to learn the game and beat the British was carried out in a "zany" way. Absent that "zaniness" the movie would not have been humorous.

Monty Python and The Three Stooges are "zany".

Italian and Indian traffic in big cities is "zany"

Holi is "zany", just as is Carnival in New Orleans and Brasil.

Does that help?

Cheers
    language is limited

Post Thanks / Like
    See Chipau ... what may be in ur mind may not be same on the others !

the four letter word may be used for many reasons .... but that doesnt mean that the base meaning changes

Well dude .... i guess anybody who sees this would really take the word zany forits very meaning ... n not what u thought or wanna say ... anyways ... am not interested to ponder on this further .... lets see if others get it right ! have a great time hubbing !
    Click here to reach the Index page of http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...A-LEARNED-YES)... All Sagas could be accessed from this page...

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Lambretta's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hi, I'm new here. Indians are zany.

Chaipau,
    At the outset, welcome to the Hub!
    Quote Originally Posted by chaipau
    What colorful clothes! What an array of styles! Yet generally conservative hair styles. I sense that Indians don't like a hair out of place.
    Colourful clothes yes, mostly in case of the women tho! But even tat's on the decrease.....
    So r conservative hairstyles...atleast in the metros...

Am I correct in thinking that Indian children have the most beautiful smiles in the world? (What happens to the adults?)
    Well I think all children in the world hav beautiful smiles.

The Italians and Americans may be more outwardly hedonistic than the Indians, and that may make them seem more zany. But then I learn that India has tons of prostitutes and a very high rate of HIV, so that just makes me think the apparent outward reserve of Indians may not be the real Indian.
    Um....chaipau, frankly I wudnt think tat one cud form such an opinion abt India rightaway based on certain -ve incidents tat r occuring here....prostitution & HIV is a problem occuring in practically every part of the world! India isnt even on the same platform as countries like Thailand in this regard.....
    Its true tat ther r deteriorations like these occuring more in Indian society now- even among women- but tat doesnt mean it cud be taken as our true nature! The main reason for this is increase in materialism.....the educated urban ppl. esp. r getting into the illusion tat the 'developed' nations emphasise on a very liberal life whereas Indian culture is full of restrictions/rigid customs wich dont give ne "fun".....& factors like globalisation r playing a major role in this.....but it doesnt mean tat this is going to be the 'new' face of Indian society from now on or nething...its just a momentary turbulence tat u see going on.....
    Neways, 'hope we cud hav sum +ve interactions here abt Indian culture.......feel free to discuss!

Post Thanks / Like
    Chaipau,
    It's sad that you aren't able to find friends that share your enthusiasm for Bollywood cinema, especially in Hollywood of all places. I think that you must not be looking in the right places. I go to a midwestern university and this campus is riddled with Bollywood enthusiasts...so much so that it makes me feel guilty for my relatively sparse knowledge of it.
    Also, India is at the peak of fashion here in the USA...everywhere I look I see Indian-inspired clothing, decorations and jewelry. Indian restaurants are opening everywhere. While there is much more to be appreciated, it is only the material things such as food and style that ever become trendy here. Again, I feel that if you looked in the right places, you might be able to find some that share your passion. Good luck.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Lambretta's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skchitharanj
    While there is much more to be appreciated, it is only the material things such as food and style that ever become trendy here.
    Exactly! our ppl. r so elated abt India being recognised by the US/West but it wud be quite sum time until the REAL India (ie. the culture/values/philosophy) is truly recognised rather than jus the food, fashison, bollywood.....!

Post Thanks / Like

Indians are zany

Bingle:

OK, yes, if one use's the definition for 'zany" given for instance at dictionary.com, then that is NOT what I meant.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=zany

That definition may be out of date now, at least for the American use of English.

"Zany" in American English is not usually a derogatory word simply because so many Americans are zany. So since the "sting" of the word has worn off here, the old concept has to be put across with either the word "fool" or "idiot", or sometimes "ape" or "chimp".

Are "zany" comedies popular in India? Was Monty Python ever popular in India? Are the American TV shows, "The Simpsons" and "South Park" televised in India and are they popular?

I still don't have a feel for Indian humor. Sometimes my business associate Pratish Patel tells me what he thinks is a funny anecdote or joke and I often don't "get it".

Can you recommend any Indian comedy films that are zany?

Cheers
    language is limited

Post Thanks / Like

Bollywood

skchitharanj -

OH, well I think the college age kids must be more interested in Bollywood than the average American.

There is also a problem with Americans not liking to have to read subtitled movies. I really like seeing foreign films because I am bored with most Hollywood movies - same stuff, same stories over and over again but with different actors and actresses.

With regards to English language films, I gravitate towards what are known as "independant' films - made without the big budgets and simple minded concerns of Hollywood Studios.

Do you or anyone else here have an estimate as to how popular so-called "independant" English language films are in India?

Cheers
    language is limited

Post Thanks / Like
    Well okies Chipau ... u cleared my doubt !!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast