Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The real story behind Ganesha's Origin

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

The real story behind Ganesha's Origin

Can someone explain in a short & simple way how Lord Ganesha got his Elephant head?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sure Alan, this is according to the anecdote that i heard from my mom. Parvathi before going to take shower, using turmeric powder, she makes a small figure, statue and that turns into ganesha. She will be extremely happy and ask him to stand outside untill she finishes her bath. Ganesha as her mother instruction, she guards outside. Lord shiva comes by and surprised by this kid guarding, he asks him to give way. Ganesha says, i wont let u in, my mother is taking shower. They talk, leads to argument and finally lord shiva gets angry and cuts his head. Parvathi comes out and explain to lord shiva that he is their son and was created by turmeric. Immediately lord shiva order his dhootas to get any animals heads thats facing north side or something (iam not really sure which side) before sunset. They search everywhere,couldnt find any. Finally they see an elephant facing the direction as lord shiva asked for. They cut the head and lord shiva replace it on Ganesha neck. Parvathi cries for ganesha's appearence, then lord shiva gives a boon to ganesha that, all the devotees must pray to him first and then they can proceed to other god's pooja, otherwise there will be no use of performing any kind of pooja.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mokshani!

So, Ganesha is not their 'biological' son, huh? What about Lord Subramanium?

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Iam not sure abt lord subramania. Hmmmm... never thought abt his birth though, I dont know much abt him, got to ask my mom

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Surya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is how I know it.....

The demon Surapadma ravaged the earth and torutured humans. It was realized by the gods that only the son born of Shiva and Parvati could lead the gods to victory over Tarakaasuran, Surapadman and their demon companions.

They plotted with Kaama, the lord of desire, to shoot a flower arrow at Shiva, as he sat in meditation, so as to make him fall in love with Parvati.

When Kaama aimed his arrow at Shiva, he opened his third eye (aka Nettrikan) and burned him to ashes instantly. Upon hearing the pleas of Kama's wife Rati, he brought back Kama to life, in flesh and blood for her sake, and in a formless state for others.

However, the sparks of the fiery seed of Shiva were unbearable; even the Fire God (Agni Bhagavan) could not bear them; this fire was then transported by the river Ganga (Flowing from Lord Shiva's Hair ) into the Sara Vana forest, where Sara Vana Bhava was born.

He was raised by the six Kartika damsels. Parvati combined these six babies into one with six faces, ie. Shanmukha. Shanmukha, or Kartikeya the supreme general of the devas, led the army of the devas to victory against the demons.

*Even though it seems like the creation of Muruga was an accident, it is widely believed that it was destined by fate (which Shiva was aware of) that this creation which grew from the Fire which Shiva used to Destroy the god of Desire (Kaama) from his Netrikann (3rd Eye) will be the leader to lead the Devas in the War against the Demons.

The six sites at which Kartikeya sojourned while leading his armies against Surapadman are Tiruttanikai, Swamimalai, Tiruvavinankudi (Palani), Pazhamudirsolai, Tirupparamkunram and Tiruchendur.

All these sites have ancient temples glorified by the tamil poems of Tirumurugaatruppadai of the Sangam period (prior to the 3rd century CE).

Tirukkurukkai, in Tamilnadu near Thanjavur, enshrines Kaamari Murthy, the destroyer of Kaama, in the Veeratteswarar temple which is one of the 8 Veeratta stalas celebrating Shiva as the destroyer of evil.
    Back after a while...

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Anoushka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Surya's story about Subramaniya is right, except for the fact that the version that I heard had something to do with some six drops falling on earth and six children being born.... then when they grow up under tha care of Karthigai peNgal, Parvathi comes and joins them together as one I could be wrong here!
    The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are--when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    Thanks Mokshani!

So, Ganesha is not their 'biological' son, huh? What about Lord Subramanium?
    I'm not sure what u mean by Biological.
    None of the Children of Gods in Hinduism are put through the 9 month Fetus Cycle, because they aren't created the way humans make babies.

Most of these creations (Muruga, Ganesha, Aiyyappa etc) are created with magical/mystical powers.
    Back after a while...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anoushka
    I think Surya's story about Subramaniya is right, except for the fact that the version that I heard had something to do with some six drops falling on earth and six children being born.... then when they grow up under tha care of Karthigai peNgal, Parvathi comes and joins them together as one I could be wrong here!
    I want to say something about that version, but we'd be gettin a bit political. :P But I could be mistaken.
    Back after a while...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Surya! That made an interesting read!

Senior Member Regular Hubber nms's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for those nice mythological stories.

±ñ½¢Â ±ñ½¢Â¡íÌ ±öÐÀ ±ñ½¢Â¡÷
    ¾¢ñ½¢Â÷ ¬¸ô ¦ÀÈ¢ý - ¾¢ÕìÌÈû(666).

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast