Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Hindi Film Music

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

rajiv (@ tmpi*) on: Thu Mar 11 15:39:47

recently i stumbled upon a 'lata sings for C.Ramachandra' casette.. it had some really melodious numbers (all from the 1940's) like
    dil ki duniya etc..

i wonder if anyone even remembers that C.Ramachandra existed..

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

nalini (@ 169.*) on: Thu Mar 11 16:13:28

My favourite C.Ramachandra song is "O chaand jahan tu jaye" sung by Lata and Asha (Sharada?). Of course who can forget songs from Sthree and Navrang.

Not much of a Mahendra Kapoor fan here either. Although he didn't do too badly in Navrang and OP Nayyar's "Haath aaya hai.." duet with Asha (one of Asha's best).

Sriram, thanks for that interesting tid-bit about Lata and OP Nayyar.

Post Thanks / Like

SRK (@ elro*) on: Thu Mar 11 17:09:06

Talking of C.Ramachandra, my favorites among those I have listened to are:

1. Ye zindagi usi ki hai - great tune

2. Zindagi pyaar ki do chaar ghadi hoti hai- again, great tune

3. Tum kyaa jano tumhaari yaad mein - orchestration was very good. He used a very Christian sounding instrument for the chords - I think it was the church organ or something like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Sriram Lakshman (@ ifmx*) on: Thu Mar 11 17:42:02

Nalini, you are welcome.
    SRK , there are several other great numbers from "Anarkali".
    Jaag Dard Ishq jaag (super!!!)
    Mujh se math pooch mere ishq
    Aaja ab to Aaja
    Mohabbat aisi dhadkan hai (class!!!)

Talking of Mahendra Kapoor there was a very melodious number he sang for C Ramachandra, "Dil lagaakar hum yeh samjhe zindagi kya cheez hai". I have always loved "Taron ki zabaan par hai mohabbat ki kahaani" composed by CR, sung by Rafi and Lata in "Nausherwan-e-adil".His rock-n-roll songs were lively like "Eena meena deeka", "Gore gore", "Meri Jaan Meri jaan" etc. A very capable singer himself, he once "imitated" Talat in "Azad", "kitna haseen hai mausam kitna haseen safar hai". Yes, imitated because Dilip Kumar wanted Talat for this song but Talat did not arrive on time for the recording. Imagine , all the songs for "Azaad" with numbers like "Appalam Chappalam", "Radha na bole na bole", "Kitna haseen hai mausam" were composed and recorded within a week and sent to Coimbatore for the shooting. I think the film had around 8-9 songs.

Post Thanks / Like

cram (@ 206.*) on: Fri Mar 12 04:29:05

CR gave real cool numbers in "Albela", also a superb movie by Bhagwan (wonder how many remember him). "deewana parwana", "shola jo bhadke", "sham dhale khidki tale", "bholi soorat dil ke khote", are all golden evergreens. CR also sang very well in the name of Chitalkar. man, i love that guy! CR, Ravi, Salil were all terrific, but were overshadowed by SDB, Naushad and SJ. pity! btw, wasn't it CR who scored for "vanjikkOttai valiban", with "kaNNum kaNNum kalanthu" and "raaja magaL"?
    dig: anyone likes ravindra jain? i think he was one of the guys who was really pathbreaking, without sacrificing melody. unfortunately, he is a forgotten man, with the industry having discarded 'music' for noise, and the common man also caring less.
    even a guy like bappi lahiri, who gave many excellent songs in the beginning, switched to band-baaja and ultimately disappeared. wasted talent, i should say!

Post Thanks / Like

SRK (@ inkt*) on: Fri Mar 12 15:37:13

Cram: Sure! I love some of Ravindra Jain's works, esp. "Chit chor" and "chashme baddoor" - they used to be based in classical and were great numbers. "Raam teri ganga maili" had some good songs too.

He also scored good music for "Ramayan", but I think by then, he had reached the twilight of his career.

Post Thanks / Like

Ramji (@ 205.*) on: Mon Mar 15 08:01:45

O my God! I somehow missed this thread so far. C. Ramachandra is my all time fvt and thanks to Nalini and Sriram Lakshman for nostalgicizing my memories. I too had heard the story of why CR imitated Talat in Azad.

He would use his first name Chithalkar as a singer and the full name CR when scoring music.Adding to the list:

1. Raj Tilak ( Vanchi kottai valiban in Tamil)
    2. Paigham (Tamil version irumbu thirai did not have his music)

Was the judicious importer of Waltz, synmphonic orchestral music and Rock n roll. His improvisations of the raga Hamsad Dvani were unique.eg. o chand jaha to jaye ( I think in Sharada), Rang Dhere (Nav Rang)

CR had set a tone in FM which had influenced even some of the relatively moderm MD's including IR when he started( e.g. kizhakke pogum rail). Honestly no intenetion of dragging IR here for discussion or fight.

Sriram, Nalini et al, how abt SD Burman?
    From Taxi Driver to Guide.

Post Thanks / Like

nalini (@ 169.*) on: Mon Mar 15 09:21:23

Ramji, yes - SDB is one of my all time favourites. We went a round with our SDB faves a while ago. Please join in with yours.

I think I mentioned this before but any Anuradha (the movie) fans here? - music by Ravi Shankar. My favourite is "Jaane kaise sapnon mein kho gayi akhiyan".

Post Thanks / Like

Sriram Lakshman (@ ifmx*) on: Mon Mar 15 14:03:48

Yes, Nalini, that is a good song. What are the other songs in Anuradha?
    I liked Ravi Shankar's "Haye re woh din kyoon na aaye" sung by Lata. Superb stuff !!!

As for Ravindra Jain, my favourite composition of his is "Dil mein tujhe bitake" sung by Lata in "Fakira". "Do panchi" sung by Aarti Mukherjee and Kishore, "Har haseen Cheez Ka main talabgaar hoon" ,"Ghunghroo ki taraah" by Kishore deserve special mention. Of course other good ones are Chitchor, Sunaina etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Sriram Lakshman (@ ifmx*) on: Mon Mar 15 14:05:13

Oops, missed out Saudagar. "Tera mera saath rahe" by Lata, "Sajna ke liya" by Asha are good songs too.

Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast