Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: why do we chant mantras?

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by avii
    Praying/meditating is (in my view) the best medicene.
    Dear Avii,

It maybe, in your view, the best remedy, but subscribing to it for all occasions and situations is neither a good idea nor a good practice. It simply becomes an overdose of the same type of NLP and the consequences are even more dangerous than the original disease itself; as one would end-up using the same type of NLP in every situation, simply because he/she wouldn't know the alternatives that are far better and effective in those situations.

In nutshell, in the long run, such reliance on such NLP becomes serious impediment to the overall cognitive development of the whole society as evidently proved by our dismal historical record. And the prevalent cognitive incapacity to realise that fact even now demonstrates nothing but the continuation of the detrimental effects of such NLP, I am afraid.

The dissonance reduction process, which is already set in motion, is nothing but NLP. The more one engages in such dissonance reduction processes, the more one demonstrates the process of NLP in action.

Nonetheless, such NLP does seem to work for some in reducing the severity of dissonance experienced from such unpleasant situations; and there is nothing whatsoever they would do to overcome that reliance.

So, those who have undergone such NLP, please carryon praying, on all occasions and in every situations; but don't bother to respond to this post, simply because it wouldn't count as praying.

Thank you and good luck!

There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to Truth; not going all the way, and not starting.
    - Buddha

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rohit
    Quote Originally Posted by SRS
    ......praying is suitable for all occassions.
    Yes, just praying was everything that one needed, even if the result was waves after waves of foreign invasions and resulting destitution of India and her people.

Praying is indeed NLP, not being able to grasp that fact is nothing but an adverse effect of just praying for all occasions.

Like Pradheep said, both the invaders and invaders prayed to God. So I am not sure what your logic is... when the justification that many invaders had for invading India and such places was to convert the Indians to another religion... unless you agree with certain racial theories like social darwinism... then you are in effect making the argument that Europeans are superior to Indians.
    But history will show the Europeans have been even more dogmatic in their "God-beliefs" (until very recently) than the Indians.

Post Thanks / Like
    ......praying is suitable for all occassions.
    Yes, just praying was everything that one needed, even if the result was waves after waves of foreign invasions and resulting destitution of India and her people.

Praying is indeed NLP, not being able to grasp that fact is nothing but an adverse effect of just praying on all occasions and in every situations.

There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to Truth; not going all the way, and not starting.
    - Buddha

Post Thanks / Like

to rohit

rohit
    "please carryon praying, on all occasions and in every situations; but don't bother to respond to this post, simply because it wouldn't count as praying."

is eating when one is not hungry, still eating ??????? so praying all the time and on all occasions , is not praying!!!!

one should always give praises to god, there is no such thing as a time to prayer and time when one shodld not. prayer should be done as much as possible , the mind should be trained so that prayer should come as a natural as breathing.
    jai chandika amma

Post Thanks / Like
    i have never come across anyone, who had any negitive effects from praying.

Rohit i really dont know where you are really comming from in the sense that the philosophy you speak of , but i appreciate a different point of opinion , it gives me better undertanding in my own beliefs.
    jai chandika amma

Post Thanks / Like
    i have never come across anyone, who had any negitive effects from praying..
    This cannot be perceived just from coming across someone who prays on all occasions and in every situations but from grasping the relations and correlates of the overall historical records that result from such blind following by the masses, completely jeopardising the overall development of the society in general.

Like I said, in the long run, such reliance on using such NLP based blind beliefs on all occasions and in every situations becomes serious impediment to the overall cognitive development of the whole society as evidently proved by over a thousand years of our dismal historical record. And the prevalent cognitive incapacity to realise that fact even now demonstrates nothing but the continuation of the detrimental effects of such NLP based blind beliefs, I am afraid.
    ......i appreciate a different point of opinion , it gives me better undertanding in my own beliefs.
    Thank you Avii for your appreciation. However, I have nothing more to add to what I have already said.

Please carryon with whatever NLP based personal beliefs that work for you and make you happy; but be cautioned, there is no truth in such beliefs, none whatsoever. It is the psychological effects that such NLP based beliefs produce, which are then wishfully believed as real - i.e. through self-deception; that is all there is to it, nothing more, nothing less.

- Buddha

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am not interested in debating on "why do we chant mantras". But, I can tell you why I chant mantras:

* The mantras I recite are in languages different from English, and it provides me an opportunity to learn what they mean.

* Sanskrit mantras are structured to make them musical. I enjoy setting them to different tunes, which is something I can not do if I read the English translation.

* Kids find Shloka chanting as an interesting activity, and I think that it is better for my kid to get involved in it than watching TV and violence.

* I like such activities that involve fewer people than watching a game or a movie
    with 100 people and spitting out or listening to some opinions which are probably not valid
    beyond one day.

Subu

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by savvysubu
    I am not interested in debating on "why do we chant mantras". But, I can tell you why I chant mantras:

* The mantras I recite are in languages different from English, and it provides me an opportunity to learn what they mean.

* Sanskrit mantras are structured to make them musical. I enjoy setting them to different tunes, which is something I can not do if I read the English translation.

* Kids find Shloka chanting as an interesting activity, and I think that it is better for my kid to get involved in it than watching TV and violence.

* I like such activities that involve fewer people than watching a game or a movie
    with 100 people and spitting out or listening to some opinions which are probably not valid
    beyond one day.

Subu
    Protecting kids from knowing the 'ins and outs' of the wild world is one of the worst possible excuses parents and society in general normally use to justify praying and the chanting of mantras, instead of explaining them the factual reality of the world and guiding them in finding better and effective ways to face the world as it is; and change it for a better one, if at all possible. A gradual process of self-actualisation, but much better process overall, though only a few can actualise, but those who can, can change the whole world.

- Buddha

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that it is better for my kid to get involved in it than watching TV and violence.
    Dear subu
    You are right. Kids who see all this violence at very young age grow up thinking that violence is normal and grow with no clue about "Self" and truth and think chanting mantras is a belief system. Look at Sidhhartha, whose parents thought like you and did not show anything bad in young life, later became the Great Buddha, who was one among other great people to change the world. So if you think Budhha's life is an example, then please continue your wonderful parenting. What we need to teach our children is to seek their "Self", the source of love, joy and happiness. If they grow without this knowledge they end up polluting the world and destroying not only mankind but the whole planet.

Senior Member Senior Hubber goodsense's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Right on there Pradeep.

I have to also agree with Rohit to some extent " explaining them the factual reality of the world and guiding them in finding better and effective ways to face the world as it is; and change it for a better one". I think this will come at a later stage. You don't want to force a child to grow up too soon and parents being too protective can be negative. As individuals with adult minds, we need to go through some thorns in growning and developing our minds and build character. What is important is to be taught the rights and wrongs and know them when you go through such thorns; in otherwords, to prepare you so you come out of it successfully.

It's something like what I see around me with little girls from Paksitani parents. They are covered from head to toe from such a young age with no freedom to enjoy their girlhood. I mean this in a good way. Later in life, they have no way of distinguishing who they are from what has been imposed upon them from such an early age. They may never have even thought about it other than accepting it - what they know from an early life to be the only right way or thing. This is just my opinion.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast